PDA

View Full Version : Gradually changing techs.

unicorn
Jun 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wish PSU's techs leveled more like PSO's. I liked how they gradually changed, rather than a sudden change at 11, 21, 31, and 41.

*I* think it should have been broken down like this:

Attack techs
Gradually change. When they hit a new tier they get a higher ele% and SE (if they are supposed to get a new SE) and higher range.

Support techs
Gradually gain more range per level. Once they reach a new tier, they gain a higher Buff SE level.

So this would be interesting with the supplemental update. For example, if a GT uses Tech Lvl+ on a lvl 32 tech, it would look slightly different at 33 and 34.

Ezodagrom
Jun 22, 2009, 11:07 AM
I wish PSU's techs leveled more like PSO's. I liked how they gradually changed, rather than a sudden change at 11, 21, 31, and 41.

Attack techs
Gradually change. When they hit a new tier they get a higher ele% and SE (if they are supposed to get a new SE) and higher range.

Support techs
Gradually gain more range per level. Once they reach a new tier, they gain a higher Buff SE level.

So this would be interesting with the supplemental update. For example, if a GT uses Tech Lvl+ on a lvl 32 tech, it would look slightly different at 33 and 34.
About support techs, maybe buffs could have an increase in duration per level, something like 6 seconds per level (10 levels would be 1 minute increase).
Anyway...I agree that support techs should get changes (even if small ones) per level, instead of just being changes per tier.

Dhylec
Jun 22, 2009, 11:53 AM
Perhaps, it was done in tiers to simplify programming?
PAs might be easier to lv up now, but I still hope each lv up has a minor up from the previous, even if it's hidden. ;]

Gibdozer
Jun 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
I don't mind the tier system, but I do wish techs leveled a bit faster.

Aries2384
Jun 22, 2009, 02:46 PM
I don't mind the tier system, but I do wish techs leveled a bit faster.

Hahaha... They ALREADY level faster! You should've leveled your techs pre-Aoi when getting Megid to lvl 21 was a MAJOR accomplishment. You new players have it sooo easy these days.
All you new players do is bitch-bitch-bitch. "This game is too hard! I can't make money! Wah wah wah! I want an uber 50% 10/10 pallete for free!"

Ugh.
Ugh ugh.
What would you people do if you COULD get everything leveled up even faster? Quit in a month after discovering that all there really is to this game is grinding PA/EXP? No in-depth missions or game environment. I'd be happy if they gave us random weather generation for the outside areas. That would make things much more interesting when I logged in each day.

And last but not least, onto the Topic at hand.

If you people want PSU to be PSO... why don't you people go back to PSO? Damn. I know there are private servers out there for it. Look. I know there were alot of good aspects about PSO.. but there are alot of GOOD aspects about PSU too.

As far as I'm concerned, if they just ported more PSO bosses, I'd be a happy camper. ( And I do mean port. Not reskin)

Either way, if you want to play PSO, play PSO.

darkante
Jun 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
I like the gradual idea. Shame it won´t happen.

ashley50
Jun 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hahaha... They ALREADY level faster! You should've leveled your techs pre-Aoi when getting Megid to lvl 21 was a MAJOR accomplishment.
You new players have it sooo easy these days.
All you new players do is bitch-bitch-bitch.

If you people want PSU to be PSO... why don't you people go back to PSO? Damn.
I know there are private servers out there for it. Look. I know there were alot of good aspects about PSO.. but there are alot of GOOD aspects about PSU too.

I Agree to mostly what was said in here.

on topic: meh...not necessary imo, everything is fine as they are now.

Volcompat321
Jun 22, 2009, 03:32 PM
I miss the pre-AOI days. PSU was so much more fun and hard.
I actually had to work to get somewhere, to get weps, armors, and meseta!

Back to being on topic-I think it's fine the way it is. 6 seconds wont make any difference. It wont be the life or death situation where you need the extra 6 seconds per level. It's as is because it works best for what players need to do.

Ezodagrom
Jun 22, 2009, 04:43 PM
I miss the pre-AOI days. PSU was so much more fun and hard.
I actually had to work to get somewhere, to get weps, armors, and meseta!
This...
I really miss those times...back then I had to transition from 6* weapons to 7*, 8* and then 9*...
Now a new player can just go directly from a B rank to a 9* weapon or even an S rank...>_>;

Calsetes
Jun 22, 2009, 04:52 PM
Or how about losing an item when you failed a grind on it?

I remember I finally got my hands on a Caliburn (whatever the 9* Sword was that quite literally JUST came out with the other 9* weapons), went to go grind it with a grinder, and on the very first grind - poof, gone as if the ass behind the counter just threw it in a closet and said "Hey man, I scuffed the blade. You don't want it back now, trust me. That scuff was, like, super-mega evil and had to be impounded. You can buy another from one of the player shops for another 30,000 (which adjusted for inflation is equivalent to like 8 or 9 million nowadays). Have fun!"

That grinder person was a jerk. Taking my sword and all....

pikachief
Jun 22, 2009, 05:08 PM
I remember when I had to build my cast up piece by piece, teach him English, how to use a weapon, then travel 28 miles to moatoob barefoot in the snow just to realize Sega hadn't even unlocked it yet!

ya whippersnappers D:

Calsetes
Jun 22, 2009, 06:14 PM
I remember when I had to build my cast up piece by piece, teach him English, how to use a weapon, then travel 28 miles to moatoob barefoot in the snow just to realize Sega hadn't even unlocked it yet!

ya whippersnappers D:

Yeah, well....... well....... I REMEMBER WHEN WE HAD 2 COLONY MISSIONS AND 3 PARUM MISSIONS!

Unless Parum was released a week after it was out, in which case..... I remember when we had two colony missions. GO FIGHT FOR FOOD!

Volcompat321
Jun 22, 2009, 06:55 PM
I wish SEGA would take away AOtI lol. I'm kidding of course, but I just wish those times would have lasted longer. I had the most fun back then.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jun 22, 2009, 07:32 PM

ya whippersnappers D:

You left out "Uphill both ways" :p I agree that techs do NOT need to lvl any faster. I got my megid to 40 without the boost AOtI gave us and still feel a great sense of accomplishment. On topic: True it would be cool to see a gradual change as techs lvl, but the bottom line is, the whole reson I play this and not PSO is cause I wanted a change of pace. I had many good times on PSO but I sure dont want this game to turn into it.

Volcompat321
Jun 22, 2009, 07:37 PM
Wasn't the cap before AOtI 30...it was if I remember correctly. Plus we didn't get the PA exp thing til August or so 08. It was in a thread I read a while back.

EDIT: June 2008 we got that update-http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=Updates/June_2008

Trish Digital Girl
Jun 22, 2009, 07:46 PM

ya whippersnappers D:

That made me LOL!

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
Wasn't the cap before AOtI 30...it was if I remember correctly. Plus we didn't get the PA exp thing til August or so 08. It was in a thread I read a while back.

EDIT: June 2008 we got that update-http://psupedia.info/index.php?title=Updates/June_2008

100 was the level cap before AOTI.

Volcompat321
Jun 22, 2009, 09:34 PM
The PA cap I meant.

pinkace
Jun 23, 2009, 04:58 PM
I love the entire PA system on PSU. I disagree completely with the OP. Your hard work earns you the right to have mightier, more powerful attack spells. The more you use them the better they get.

I hated finding level 15 Razonde, asking a 'friend' to hold it and having to swap characters to either give the disk to another char that could use it or getting the mind mag from my force to learn it.

I don't think ST intended for people to play parts of a mission just to hit the mobs of Boomas in the beginning and then restarting the mission ad infinitum.

Ezodagrom
Jun 23, 2009, 05:14 PM
I love the entire PA system on PSU. I disagree completely with the OP. Your hard work earns you the right to have mightier, more powerful attack spells. The more you use them the better they get.

I hated finding level 15 Razonde, asking a 'friend' to hold it and having to swap characters to either give the disk to another char that could use it or getting the mind mag from my force to learn it.

I don't think ST intended for people to play parts of a mission just to hit the mobs of Boomas in the beginning and then restarting the mission ad infinitum.
I think super_luu meant that he liked how spells on pso changed every few levels, as in aesthetical change...like...spells getting bigger and faster every few levels instead of being changed every 10 levels like in psu. It's not about the PA leveling system used on PSU.

In my opinion, offensive techs are okay though...support techs (buffs and debuffs) could get some changes each level, like small increase in range, duration, effect... Anything would be better than having no change at all between certain levels. For example, between lvl 21 and 30 buffs and debuffs get no changes per level.

ashley50
Jun 23, 2009, 05:47 PM
the respect for rangers on v1...I want that back. ;l

(not really respect...i meant their usefulness back then)

Magus_84
Jun 23, 2009, 06:07 PM

Attack techs

Support techs

I don't see how Attack techs from your example are different from how they are now, unless I'm missing something. They have a hidden elemental mod in addition to the one displayed on the weapon. It's tech level + 20, IIRC.

Additionally...PSO's techs changed appearance at set levels too. Something like...7, 13, 20, 26. The visual changes just weren't as drastic as they are on PSU. Foie got a bit bigger, moved a lot faster, and left a little smoke trail. Zonde got a second lightning bolt, then multiple lightning bolts. Etc, etc (Can't find video proof of this yet).

Now supports, I entirely agree with you on. It's pointless to level them past 9 levels below your respective cap.

Cathbar
Jun 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
I don't consider myself an elitest or anything, but I seriously wish they hadn't changed the ease of which you level techs or find weapons and the like. It's not that I don't want newbs to have decent weapons and PAs, I just want the sense of accomplishment that PSU used to have.

Now all I have to do to level anything is use it a few times and it's already at 30. Back in the day I had to work to get my Zonde to level 20, now it practically starts there. I used to like helping out new players and how they "Ooh'd" and "Awww'd" at my techs because they looked cool, had a long range, and did lots of damage, and there's didn't. My spells still have a long range, do damage, and look cool (not that anyone can see it anymore...), but new players just tell me to get off my high horse because they'll have them in a few minutes <_<;;

I like to work for what I get, and now it's handed to me on a tarnished and grubby silver platter.... T_T

Anywho, back on topic. I kinda like the tiers they have now. As it is, I can reach a certain level and feel pretty awesome when all of a sudden I can reach all the walls of a room, while standing in the center, with my buffs. If it were gradual, I wouldn't feel like much of anything changed when I leveled...

pinkace
Jun 23, 2009, 06:27 PM
I think super_luu meant that he liked how spells on pso changed every few levels, as in aesthetical change...like...spells getting bigger and faster every few levels instead of being changed every 10 levels like in psu. It's not about the PA leveling system used on PSU.

In my opinion, offensive techs are okay though...support techs (buffs and debuffs) could get some changes each level, like small increase in range, duration, effect... Anything would be better than having no change at all between certain levels. For example, between lvl 21 and 30 buffs and debuffs get no changes per level.

Well, I see it as 5 changes, or 'level ups', with 10 reminders telling you how close you are to the next level up. These reminders come often enough to let you know your work is duly noted :)

RemiusTA
Jun 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hahaha... They ALREADY level faster! You should've leveled your techs pre-Aoi when getting Megid to lvl 21 was a MAJOR accomplishment. You new players have it sooo easy these days.
All you new players do is bitch-bitch-bitch. "This game is too hard! I can't make money! Wah wah wah! I want an uber 50% 10/10 pallete for free!"

Ugh.
Ugh ugh.
What would you people do if you COULD get everything leveled up even faster? Quit in a month after discovering that all there really is to this game is grinding PA/EXP? No in-depth missions or game environment. I'd be happy if they gave us random weather generation for the outside areas. That would make things much more interesting when I logged in each day.

And last but not least, onto the Topic at hand.

If you people want PSU to be PSO... why don't you people go back to PSO? Damn. I know there are private servers out there for it. Look. I know there were alot of good aspects about PSO.. but there are alot of GOOD aspects about PSU too.

As far as I'm concerned, if they just ported more PSO bosses, I'd be a happy camper. ( And I do mean port. Not reskin)

Fuck that quote gets more and more annoying everytime i hear it. Just because a system on another game worked better does not mean we want the whole game to change just because we make a reference to it. That "GO PLAY PSO IF YOU DONT LIKE TECHNIC LEVELING / MONSTERS / STAGES / MUSIC" is getting overused. Nobody is even comparing the game to PSO anymore.

When it comes to technic leveling, sorry, PSO's system was far more rewarding. The technics gradually increased in damage of course, but if in PSO you were forced to use Lv1 Foie form until its change in the teens, your foie would be utterly USELESS until it GOT to that form...which is the case with 90% of the technics in this game. Granted when they do level they become effing awesome, but still. People dont understand that the change in PAEXP rate was NOT to make it easier. They changed it because it DID NOT WORK. That counts triple for Bullets, as any ranger would tell you, and it also counts almost triple for technics too. Why? Because you're CONSTANTLY switching between forms of them. Unlike a Saber or Sword, Technics have 4 or 5 to level for EACH ELEMENT...and if you aren't using opposite elements, your damage is going to suck.

Really, the ONLY effective way to level technics is either to take time out to grind them, or solo missions. If you Solo missions, they level reletively fast, but an extra 2% + base damage per level while your getting your ass kicked only helps you out so much. Bottom line, the pace of this game changes too rapidly for techers to keep up UNLESS they grind the shit out of their technics, or solo almost every other mission they play to get the use out of them. That, and the lv 1-10 forms of every Ra, Gi, and Dam technic in this game is complete bullshit.

I don't consider myself an elitest or anything, but I seriously wish they hadn't changed the ease of which you level techs or find weapons and the like. It's not that I don't want newbs to have decent weapons and PAs, I just want the sense of accomplishment that PSU used to have

Sorry, i get no sense of accomplishment when i have to grind my technics for them to not fucking suck. It really only questions why the hell I have to try so hard to be of any use in a party.

Repetition is NOT difficulty. Making it take forever is not the only way to make something valuable. The more developers of MMOs that catch on to this, the better the MMO's we'll have in the future.

I used to like helping out new players and how they "Ooh'd" and "Awww'd" at my techs because they looked cool, had a long range, and did lots of damage, and there's didn't. My spells still have a long range, do damage, and look cool (not that anyone can see it anymore...), but new players just tell me to get off my high horse because they'll have them in a few minutes <_<;;

Well I did too, but sega decided to give a big "FUCK YOU" to all the forces in this game, so we're all relinquished of that satisfaction.

Petition with me.

Trust me, it takes no longer than 15 minutes to get a technic from 1-11, but its such a boring quest that most people dont do it.

GUNcrazy12
Jun 23, 2009, 11:51 PM
Perhaps, it was done in tiers to simplify programming?

yea, programming (let alone making) 50 slightly different animations for each tech would be a bitch.

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2009, 12:20 AM
Trust me, it takes no longer than 15 minutes to get a technic from 1-11, but its such a boring quest that most people dont do it.

You lie. It depends on how many missions you do, level and whatnot, but no way 15 minutes to get 1 tech from 1-11 in 15 minutes. I want video proof if that's what your saying.
Barta and Zonde both take longer than that I know for a fact. I really want video proof on this. I been playing techer for over a year (off and on) and have never leveled 1 tech 1-11 in 15 minutes.
Now all being 31+ since I don't play techer much anymore, I didput the time into leveling techs, I know what I'm talking about(for the most part)

Namine
Jun 24, 2009, 01:09 AM
I've thought that I've noticed that technics change very slighty as I've leveled mine up, like every level & of course the major change at the next tier.

Cathbar
Jun 25, 2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry, i get no sense of accomplishment when i have to grind my technics for them to not fucking suck. It really only questions why the hell I have to try so hard to be of any use in a party.

Repetition is NOT difficulty. Making it take forever is not the only way to make something valuable. The more developers of MMOs that catch on to this, the better the MMO's we'll have in the future.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I don't agree fully with this. It's true, in order to level something, you only have to use it a certain number of times. That's pretty easy. But when it takes so much time and effort, it can really wear on your patience. Therein lies the difficulty.

When they implemented the change, my techniques were already above 20, so I have no idea how long it takes to get from 1-11 or 11-21, but as you can see, I had to get my techs up to that level the long "hard" way. Even so, I still say I prefer it to how easy it is now.

You think there might be something to that? Not trying to start anything, just saying.....

However, I do agree with you that there should be other ways of making things worthwhile or valuable without dull grinding. When you come up with an idea, let me know, yeah?

unicorn
Jun 25, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't consider myself an elitest or anything, but I seriously wish they hadn't changed the ease of which you level techs or find weapons and the like. It's not that I don't want newbs to have decent weapons and PAs, I just want the sense of accomplishment that PSU used to have.

Now all I have to do to level anything is use it a few times and it's already at 30. Back in the day I had to work to get my Zonde to level 20, now it practically starts there. I used to like helping out new players and how they "Ooh'd" and "Awww'd" at my techs because they looked cool, had a long range, and did lots of damage, and there's didn't. My spells still have a long range, do damage, and look cool (not that anyone can see it anymore...), but new players just tell me to get off my high horse because they'll have them in a few minutes <_<;;

I remember in V1 I was one of like (5 techers? lol) That had Zonde past 21! Back then, techers didnt even have Barta or Zonde in their palettes.

Cathbar
Jun 25, 2009, 06:24 PM
Zonde is my most favorite techniqe :3 Oddly, Barta and Megiverse are my 2nd favorites.....

Why do all of my favorite techs suck? XD