PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Zero in English (first video inside)

Fry_Heit
Jul 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone!

Some of you might be aware that a japanese convention called "Japan Expo" has just taken place in Paris during the last four days (from thursday to sunday). It's extremely popular and they've got more and more "never seen before" things, like lenghty in-game videos of Bayonetta... And, you got it, an English build of Phantasy Star Zero.

Everything was translated, I'm sure of it. Visitors have played it one after the other, so that one of the saves had reached the Dark Shrine, the last level. And to reach that level, you need to complete all the other ones in Story Mode. I tried that save file, and that last part of the story was totally in English, even against the final boss. All the weapons the people got, the monsters they fought, EVERYTHING was in English, I swear. Why are they delaying so much? Guess we'll never know :/.

Anyway, I took a video of the first 7 minutes, minus the long movies at the beginning (i.e. the musical intro and the one that set up the universe). Enjoy ;). The quality is quite bad, I'll upload a way-better-one tomorrow, I promise (I have to for my French Phantasy Star website anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQPTJTluYg

(Hooray, after the Nintendo items, here is another exclusive video from Phantasy Start ^^).

By the way, they got rid of Makenai Kokoro for the intro song. They put the one they used in the trailer. I mean the one you hear when you have to press start, but quicker. And there wasn't any staff "scrolling down" in the bottom screen.

I also have taken other videos for translation curiosity purposes. Weapons, ennemies, things like that. I'll post them later.

Sha Sha
Jul 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
I cant wait for this to come out PS0 and Suikoden Treikris are the only reasons i got a DS

Astarin
Jul 6, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thank you for this, Fry Heit. I haven't seen any fully localized media of PS0 yet, and have been starting to wonder if it was still in the works at all. Given that it seems to be pretty far along, I wonder why Sega has been so quiet about it...

Dragwind
Jul 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
Indeed, it's very comforting to see the game with text I can read now. I'm personally hoping the opening theme song is changed.

furrypaws
Jul 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
The video was taken down due to copyright claims from Sega. =/

Would you be able to host this on a web storage site or something? I'm pretty curious about it.

Fry_Heit
Jul 7, 2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, crap. I'd be glad to upload it on an FTP, but if Sega is against it... Not sure they'd like me to share it in another way. Plus PSO World sides with Sega, not sure they too would let me do it :/.

Evila
Jul 7, 2009, 07:51 AM
Aw, that's a shame. I didn't get to see it, but I can understand you not wanting to upload it again. But yeah... knowing that it's translated that far makes me really wish they'd push the release date earlier. I'm enjoying the JP version but I really want to play with my friends who are waiting for the US one too.

From what you saw, was the writing okay? All I can to think to ask about it. XD

Fry_Heit
Jul 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
The font was a little blurry, but overall it was well translated.

And by the way, the dragon was named "RayBurn". I remember Espiokaos wondering if Sega America would make a kind of pun with wyvern. Well, they did not. All names were taken directly from the japanese version otherwise, like "Guhracia Valley" and all.

As for the weapons, "Seiba" was translated "Saber", and "Saberu" "Sabre" (French for saber). Those with an "Ain" were translated "Ein", and "Aian" "Iron".

furrypaws
Jul 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the NPC names? I'm kind of hoping they didn't change Sarisa. I liked that name, and Salisa or something of that sort just doesn't have the right ring to it.

ChaosAngelic
Jul 9, 2009, 12:49 AM
Hmm, yeah, I'm also hoping they kept the name Sarisa. Also... well... I liked Makenai Kokoro... =/

Even so, it'll be nice to be able to play this game in English. Having to guess what each item is REALLY isn't fun.

SammaeltheDark
Jul 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm looking forward to the release of PSZ in English. I get the itch to play it now and again, but I don't really want to take my game on my JP copy much further if I'm gonna have to start all over again with the western release

A shame there won't be a way to transfer the save between the 2 versions like with PSPo

RubyEclipse
Jul 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
I can confirm that the name in the English version is indeed Sarisa. :)

PepperCat
Jul 10, 2009, 10:59 PM
Argh RUBY!

Let us know the release date!

I've tried the Japanese game and its stupid fun!

RubyEclipse
Jul 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'll announce the release date as soon as I won't get yelled at for doing so. ;)

It is still on track for the end of this year though, specifics should be coming soon!

the_importer_
Jul 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Can anyone tell me if the voices have been dubbed, left in original Japanese or simply removed?

Thank you

Fry_Heit
Jul 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
They are in English, and quite good ^^.

the_importer_
Jul 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
They are in English, and quite good ^^.

Regardless, if there's no options to switch between audio, I'm out. With so many games to play and to buy, I can afford to be critical for the little things when they are important to me.

Fry_Heit
Jul 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
The thing is, you'd be skipping this game for nothing because, well, there aren't tons of videos. If you don't count the intro (about 5mn) which is the same for every race, each of them has like 1 or 2mn of excluse videos in total. So, yeah, that doesn't make much. Most of the game is text-based.

ANYWAY.

I now seem to have the rights to upload my videos - or so Sega of France told me. They said they had a talk with Sega of America and that I was now authorised to share them. So I updated my first post accordingly.

This is the only "fun" video I have. The others are the list of weapons and monsters that people have found and fought so as to see the translation.

Arikado
Jul 23, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the new video Fry, 10/10. :)

Eluvion
Jul 23, 2009, 07:11 PM
10/10 huh? can you confirm that? I've looked around at gamestop/ebgames, and gamefly. They're the only ones that have announced dates ( that i've seen) and they all are around then, but I think they just want people to pre-order. and who's going to preorder without a date?

the_importer_
Jul 23, 2009, 07:35 PM
The thing is, you'd be skipping this game for nothing because, well, there aren't tons of videos. If you don't count the intro (about 5mn) which is the same for every race, each of them has like 1 or 2mn of excluse videos in total. So, yeah, that doesn't make much. Most of the game is text-based.

ANYWAY.

I now seem to have the rights to upload my videos - or so Sega of France told me. They said they had a talk with Sega of America and that I was now authorised to share them. So I updated my first post accordingly.

This is the only "fun" video I have. The others are the list of weapons and monsters that people have found and fought so as to see the translation.

I technically do have the game in the form of the Japanese version which I stopped playing when the NA version was confirmed. Also, it's not just videos, the characters do have battle cries and I would hate to loose these for English dubs or all together.

Arikado
Jul 23, 2009, 09:11 PM
10/10 huh? can you confirm that? I've looked around at gamestop/ebgames, and gamefly. They're the only ones that have announced dates ( that i've seen) and they all are around then, but I think they just want people to pre-order. and who's going to preorder without a date?I was rating Fry's video 10/10, sorry for the misunderstanding. :P

Fry's new english gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQPTJTluYg

Eluvion
Jul 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
No no. haha my mistake :)

Evila
Jul 24, 2009, 03:43 PM
Great to see that you got permission to upload it again. I really wanted to see it, bwaha. Thanks for sharing!

Skyly HUmar
Jul 24, 2009, 08:40 PM
Argh RUBY!

Let us know the release date!

I've tried the Japanese game and its stupid fun!

I belive its arround November 10 or 12, I've seen both dates marked as it's release but it should be one of those if it's unchanged.

Lacen
Jul 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah originally the release date was in Dec. but apparently like Phantasy Star Portable it's getting pushed forward. So that's a good sign... I hope. I don't think it's street-dated yet but I'll keep you guys posted if there are any changes to the release date in the future. I work at Gamestop in Hawaii by the way. PSP didn't have any promo's for reserving it so I doubt PS0 would have anything either. Oh yeah, hey Ruby long time no see in-game. How've you been? You guys aren't pushing the date forward cause you're taking out the online features are you? =P You better not! xD j/k j/k Take care Ruby, see ya later. =D

deso123
Jul 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
I feel sorry for the people who waited for the english release. Such a long wait for nothing. Companies need to get their act together and stop releasing garbage. This isn't 1990. I mean it's 2009 almost 2010 and everyone is balls to the wall impressed that the DS can handle a few polygons and retarded story pulled out of someone's butt. It's patheta sad. Bad controls. No content. Good for a couple play throughs and that's it. No incentive to keep playing at all to fully level up a single character. I find it hard to believe that even little kids would be impressed by such a game in this day and age.

This just isn't bashing PS0. It's bashing all these game companies who finally got to 3d and stopped trying after their first few games. these new games offer less content and attention to detail when compared to their more experimental predecessors. its not excusable.