PDA

View Full Version : PC try out PC for a bit

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm going to try out PC for a bit! Lol. Just bought Ambition and am going to purchase that 180 days + 30 extra free. I wanna see how PC/PS2 is! Hopefully my computer doesn't crap out on me with it. Currently, I'm patching. So uh.. See you on there? o.o Gotta configure my 360 controller too. That's always fun. :/

Oh, sorry if this is the wrong place, Mods. Wasn't sure if I should've put it in Player Matchup or General. >_<;

Calsetes
Jul 9, 2009, 03:19 PM
Bah, you're fine here. Tell you what, do a shop search by name for "Calsetes" and put a thing on my BB in my room, we'll hook up and can try to get you some levels this weekend. Unfortunately, my lowest character is a 60-something Neuman Protranser, so while she's got lots of levels, her power and accuracy isn't anything to get excited about. Still, I could log in someone and try to get my basic jobs up to 10 while buffing you, I guess...

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 03:22 PM
Lol, that's fine. I tried running around with the keyboard controls. Not so hot. ;P Although, with setting up my controller, I'm not exactly sure how to do so. In the options menu, where is allows you to set up your controller funtions, it all says Button 1-999999999. How the hell am I supposed to know what's what? >___>;;

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 03:34 PM
I just payed the one time thinger for now. >_>;; It's really different. Still can't get this controller working though! XD Wasn't there something like. XBsomething to download for controllers? @__@

Calsetes
Jul 9, 2009, 03:41 PM
Ok, Windows has the drivers automatically (or can get them on its own), but all you have to do is double-click the thing you want to change (like "attack") then hit the button you want to assign it as. It should work automatically. Make sure you have your controller turned on before running the launcher though, just in case.

Also, the two triggers don't work, but the bumpers do, as do clicking in the two sticks. Only other button that doesn't do anything is the guide button.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 9, 2009, 03:41 PM
Go to control panel, game controllers, and pick your xbox controller from the list. In the properties you can push buttons on the controller and it will light up to show you which number the button is.

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm just using a USB one. I didn't mess with it. It's almost similar to what the 360 uses. Attack and pick-up are switched however. The right analog stick doesn't respond though. Hmm. I'll try what you said Bea.

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
Also when you press the button in the gamepad option menu(on PSU) it will automatically map the button you just pushed as well. The control stick axis can be set the same way.

Volcompat321
Jul 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
HEy, look my shops up too!
I'm mainly on Enzylon-2, but I have a low level char 59 or so :D

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 04:02 PM
Wooh, I got it working, except the right analog stick isn't working still. Lol. I wanted it to rotate my camera. XD; Instead I gotta use the left/right triggers.

Volcompat321
Jul 9, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hey go to your room!
I'm in it waiting for ya to exchange cards!

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 04:20 PM
Wooh, I got it working, except the right analog stick isn't working still. Lol. I wanted it to rotate my camera. XD; Instead I gotta use the left/right triggers.

If you're satisfied with that, its okay I guess. But I set my controller camera to the right analog stick in the psu options/gamepad setting menu. I selected camera left /right and the button assignment window popped up and I pressed left and it set that axis. Did it the same way from camera up/down but pressed control stick up instead.

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 04:33 PM
Brimada, I just got mine to work with the right analog. :D Yey~

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 04:49 PM
Coolness :)

landman
Jul 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
I played last year during the free period and managed to configure the control exactly like in 360, but I use the wireless adaptor and every 360 accessory works with that. I couldn't play without totally controlling the camera or without using the triggers and bumpers in the pallet... I've heard there are drivers for the USB controller, but I never had one of those.

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 05:27 PM
I played last year during the free period and managed to configure the control exactly like in 360, but I use the wireless adaptor and every 360 accessory works with that. I couldn't play without totally controlling the camera or without using the triggers and bumpers in the pallet... I've heard there are drivers for the USB controller, but I never had one of those.

As far as I know you can't set the triggers with wireless(which is why I gave up on my 360 controller and got a ps3 controller) >.>

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, my triggers don't work. I was gonna set them up as the chat, but I decided to just set the chat log to my select button. Just gotta remember that now. >.>;

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah that's the same thing I did with mine :p

NDW
Jul 9, 2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, my triggers don't work. I was gonna set them up as the chat, but I decided to just set the chat log to my select button. Just gotta remember that now. >.>;

Maybe you can use Xpadder to make use of your triggers? I don't know if that would work since I don't play PSU on PC. Just throwing out a suggestion if it can help in some way.

The_Brimada
Jul 9, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've tried xpadder myself already for my 360 controller and it didn't work for psu. PSU seems very picky because it worked fine on other games when I used xpadder.

Calsetes
Jul 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
I just make do without my triggers, have no problems playing at all. Mapping the move tick to open the chat log window also makes the "do I want to buy this" window move over by a page.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
I just use a PS2 controller (aka the best game controller made to date... two analog sticks at the SAME SPOT unlike the 360 controller...), works fine for PSU.

landman
Jul 10, 2009, 02:00 AM
Wow for me the dualshok has always been the worst pad ever made, the analogues in the same place are only worth for playing Katamari, just my opinion xD

It's been a year since I played PC version, but I think I managed to configure the pad correctly... just don't configure the keyboard buttons to your pad but select the pad option in the options. I couldn't play without using the triggers and bumpers to scroll up/down in the pallete...

Dhylec
Jul 10, 2009, 07:10 AM
Wow for me the dualshok has always been the worst pad ever made, the analogues in the same place are only worth for playing Katamari, just my opinion xD

It's been a year since I played PC version, but I think I managed to configure the pad correctly... just don't configure the keyboard buttons to your pad but select the pad option in the options. I couldn't play without using the triggers and bumpers to scroll up/down in the pallete...

If you or anyone on PC (using the PS controller) want help w/ key mapping, use my setup to configure your pad.
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/kb-joy-1.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

RemiusTA
Jul 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
I'm going to try out PC for a bit! Lol. Just bought Ambition and am going to purchase that 180 days + 30 extra free. I wanna see how PC/PS2 is! Hopefully my computer doesn't crap out on me with it. Currently, I'm patching. So uh.. See you on there? o.o Gotta configure my 360 controller too. That's always fun. :/

Oh, sorry if this is the wrong place, Mods. Wasn't sure if I should've put it in Player Matchup or General. >_<;

If you're coming from 360, sadly you wont find much. The PS2 version of this game is absolutely horrible, and the only thing the PC has to offer is the potential for no slowdowns. People say you'll find a "warmer community", but from personal experience, I can tell you the people are absolutely no different -- there are just MORE on the 360 side. Anyone who says otherwise must be talking about the Demo.

I think the only thing i liked about PC/PS2 is the fact that the PC version had the best graphics...but sadly the max graphics aren't very far removed from 360 at all -- in fact, i cant tell the difference. (360 might BE maxed out.) Only tradeoff is the lag sometimes, which is more than acceptable with the + of Voice Chat, XBL and custom soundtrack. And coming from PS2 version, the lag on 360 is almost nothing.

Ethateral
Jul 10, 2009, 08:22 AM
If you're coming from 360, sadly you wont find much. The PS2 version of this game is absolutely horrible, and the only thing the PC has to offer is the potential for no slowdowns. People say you'll find a "warmer community", but from personal experience, I can tell you the people are absolutely no different -- there are just MORE on the 360 side. Anyone who says otherwise must be talking about the Demo.

I think the only thing i liked about PC/PS2 is the fact that the PC version had the best graphics...but sadly the max graphics aren't very far removed from 360 at all -- in fact, i cant tell the difference. (360 might BE maxed out.) Only tradeoff is the lag sometimes, which is more than acceptable with the + of Voice Chat, XBL and custom soundtrack. And coming from PS2 version, the lag on 360 is almost nothing.

I'm more than aware that people can be/are just like people from 360. It's like that for any MMO really. I just felt like trying out their side however. See how it is there. See how they do things. See how their market is. o_o; Just see what the PC/PS2 players we talk to here everyday are like in game as well. XD Most importantly though, I just want to have fun. It hasn't been a bad experience so far. The same thing runs true on PC/PS2 as does 360 ; it's hard to still find a party and/or people don't like joining your open parties, lol.

I still have my 360 account active. I just level PAs right now on there. I don't care about the level cap or attempting to find a Milla there. >__>;

Dhylec
Jul 10, 2009, 08:22 AM

Heh, the OP has been testing PC for a while now. Check his posts in the SS/movie thread. He's not leaving 360 either.
I think your PC bashingcandid comments aren't really needed. He can tell by himself. Also, thanks for scaring away informing all the potential players. ;]

OrangeTippedGun
Jul 11, 2009, 01:08 AM
Your gonna like it. It's soo much better than Xbox. Slower load times (depends on your specs like everyone says. But it's probably still slower), you get a population of 20+ players! :o And not to mention there's always the risk of getting 065'd! :D

Ethateral
Jul 11, 2009, 01:53 AM
Your gonna like it. It's soo much better than Xbox. Slower load times (depends on your specs like everyone says. But it's probably still slower), you get a population of 20+ players! :o And not to mention there's always the risk of getting 065'd! :D

Mmm, the people are the same as 360. The load times aren't that bad on 360, unless there's lag of course. I've never really had slow load times on my 360. Finding a party is still just as much of a pain on PC as it is on 360, lol. However, I do wish the two servers could just merge together. Playing on PC is more appealing to me since the graphics look better. Can't use my triggers or go into first-person view though! ;P

Legendria
Jul 11, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'd dual-side too, but I cant bear to go through the pain of levelling certain things again.

Sure wish I could play at work on my laptop.....

Ithildin
Jul 11, 2009, 03:27 AM
Heh, the OP has been testing PC for a while now. Check his posts in the SS/movie thread. He's not leaving 360 either.
I think your PC bashingcandid comments aren't really needed. He can tell by himself. Also, thanks for scaring away informing all the potential players. ;]

I have to say I completely agree with that.

For joypad settings/config try my friend's guide. You may need to join our forums to view it though, I'm not sure.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/OperationDS/topic/422279/1/#new

Arika
Jul 11, 2009, 08:31 AM
Try this ability that 360 doesn't allow you to do so :
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=264944&page=8

Also, I m looking into the AA thread, but I can't find it anymore.

Calsetes
Jul 11, 2009, 08:58 AM
I did at first, but the whole PC hacking thing changed my mind. I'd love to play with PC users, but that's the main thing that's turning me away.

I don't think anyone really hacks the PC servers any more, since they decided the community of 30 people who still play is too small to mess with. Aside from that last incident.... what, like two or three months ago, I haven't heard of anything major going on. Still, now that I said that, someone will run around and hack now, and this time I'll be hit or something stupid like that.

Ezodagrom
Jul 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
There haven't been many major hacking incidents in the last few years. There was the shop hacking earlier this year, and also in the beginning of last year. ^^;
It's not too bad, 2 hacking incidents in around 2 years, nothing compared to how it used to be in the first months (glad I only started playing PSU after that hacking period ended).

landman
Jul 11, 2009, 10:10 AM
Te first hacking period didn't affect players like the hacking room one, they "just" hacked items and filled the marked with haxeta, if you started playing after that, you were already affected, and that was the main reason why the population descended drastically in the first months. Having the posibility of being stolen and your PM/room reseted is just a later thing.

Harok
Jul 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
I am going to sign up for the 360 today. I would try the PC version - I prefer playing on PCs better - but I really don't want to go out and buy the PSU and AoTI PC versions. Since I already have a copy for my Xbox 360.

Dhylec
Jul 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Try this ability that 360 doesn't allow you to do so :
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=264944&page=8

Also, I m looking into the AA thread, but I can't find it anymore.

Try the sticky in http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I am going to sign up for the 360 today. I would try the PC version - I prefer playing on PCs better - but I really don't want to go out and buy the PSU and AoTI PC versions. Since I already have a copy for my Xbox 360.
AoI doesn't use CDkey, so you can borrow it from anyone you know & it's good to go. Or find other way to get it for cheap/free online.

Harok
Jul 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
AoI doesn't use CDkey, so you can borrow it from anyone you know & it's good to go. Or find other way to get it for cheap/free online.

Do you need the original PSU as well?

autumn
Jul 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
Nope, just the expansion.

Harok
Jul 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hm, I'll look into getting it then. Thanks.

How is the population compared to 360?

& can you access all the original PSU content online even if you only have the expansion?

Yunfa
Jul 11, 2009, 01:13 PM
I think the only reason why people find the PC with "better graphics" is due to 2 things:

1) Their TV is fuzzy or running not on HD 720p

2) Sitting closer to the screen allows the gamer to "notice things" better, which in turn brings out the overall appeal. This is from experience from playing from TV with & without glasses (my eyesight isn't that bad), and playing from PSU through the TV from afar and through a PC Monitor in front of my face, & both. ( I have 3 computer monitors and a giant TV in the middle in front of my Master Chair in my room.)

beatrixkiddo
Jul 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
I think the only reason why people find the PC with "better graphics" is due to 2 things:

2) Sitting closer to the screen allows the gamer to "notice things" better, which in turn brings out the overall appeal. This is from experience from playing from TV with & without glasses (my eyesight isn't that bad), and playing from PSU through the TV from afar and through a PC Monitor in front of my face, & both. ( I have 3 computer monitors and a giant TV in the middle in front of my Master Chair in my room.)

My TV supports HD 720p, I'm using an HDMI cable, and I can definately tell PC looks clearer. :/

mvffin
Jul 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
it depends on your PC = \

Ezodagrom
Jul 11, 2009, 02:44 PM
PC version also has some options the XBox360 version doesn't have, like Shadows, for example.
These are the options available on the PC version:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2518/pcoptions.jpg

Ethateral
Jul 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
What? All you have to do is go to Universe 1 or 2 and join the event mission. (Or White Beast D: )

I did at first, but the whole PC hacking thing changed my mind. I'd love to play with PC users, but that's the main thing that's turning me away.

Silly AIDA, people don't like joining missions no matter how populated the lobby is. Unless of course, it's just S2! I make my own parties. I never join a random's party. I'd rather have control over my own party rather than be booted over something ridiculous. (I've hear the stories. Never been booted. X3 <3)

Ithildin
Jul 12, 2009, 03:00 PM

My tv is 1080p and brand new and I can tell psu looks far better on a pc. So don't talk such nonsense.

Calsetes
Jul 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
My tv is 1080p and brand new and I can tell psu looks far better on a pc. So don't talk such nonsense.

I can confirm this - on my 1080p tv with the 120Hz refresh rate or whatever, put PSU on a frameskip of 0 with maxed-out settings........

I thought I damn near died and went to heaven. Next thing to try with it is the anti-aliasing thing (assuming it doesn't give me weird problems, like the "seam in the middle of the face" or the ever-popular "black background instead of transparencies"). If you don't have a REALLY good PC, then I'm sure that the 360 version looks better. If you do, then you probably already know.

Ethateral
Jul 13, 2009, 01:27 PM
I guess we just have different experiences then. Whenever I make a party in a Uni 1 - 3, people usually join - No matter what the rank. Of course, I often join random's parties too. And I've never been booted either =O

And about the music enhancement patch - It's nice, but not my thing. I prefer the original music (No offense, of course!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just saying my experience on the 360 has been spectacular, while other people's may not have been. If Ethateral's experience goes well, I may join in the PC side (And PS2 side!) as well.

EDIT: Oh, and no matter how much of a 360 fanboy I am, I have to agree - PSU does look better on the PC if you have a high end PC. This will be true of 99% of all games, due to customizable options and the ability to turn things on and off for different hardware.
So far it's been a great experience! People are willing to help out. ^^; I've gone afk on the 5th floor and have come back to weird conversations. O___o;; Ones I've never seen like on 360, lol. Angra Mainyu is always dancing too. o_o

I prefer how PSU looks on PC. My only thing for me is, I gotta press Q to go into first person, since my button 10 doesn't respond. Go figure. (I've calibrated too. Meh.) No big deal.

Ellipsis...
Jul 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
i'm glad you like it here :)

Ethateral
Jul 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
The only thing that gets to me is if I leave a party open. Someone who's a bit higher or extremely higher leveled, will join. They'll help me get past the first part. (Where the first disk is) Then they'll leave! They don't say anything prior. Why come in for a minute, then leave? This is why I've been soloing C runs of the event.

Yunfa
Jul 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
My TV supports HD 720p, I'm using an HDMI cable, and I can definately tell PC looks clearer. :/

- I bet my soul you guys don't sit nearly as close to your TV than your PC monitors. I can't stress enough the distance DOES matter in regards as to what people call "PSU look's better."

- Nonsense? PSU doesn't support 1080p! Nonsense indeed!

- Maybe there are more people who have better PC monitors than their TV due to costs, but I still stand by my words that I enjoy PSU at a higher appeal on my TV.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1720/afo2008013.th.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/afo2008013.jpg/)

Oh yeah I forgot, my TV is 73". My PSU character is as big as my 10 year old sister...huuuuur huuuuuuuur

DreXxiN
Jul 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
I can confirm this - on my 1080p tv with the 120Hz refresh rate or whatever, put PSU on a frameskip of 0 with maxed-out settings........

I thought I damn near died and went to heaven. Next thing to try with it is the anti-aliasing thing (assuming it doesn't give me weird problems, like the "seam in the middle of the face" or the ever-popular "black background instead of transparencies"). If you don't have a REALLY good PC, then I'm sure that the 360 version looks better. If you do, then you probably already know.

My TV is 1080p too, but it plays in a 720p window.

Calsetes
Jul 14, 2009, 02:39 PM
From a pure technological standpoint though, anything available for PC can and will look better on the PC than a console, if only for this one simple point - users can create their own content for approximately 90% of software available for the PC (please note this is a totally made-up number and not indicative of any real statistics). A prime example of this is Oblivion, which is available for both 360 and PC (and PS3, but since that isn't in debate right now, we'll leave it alone). With the PC version, not only can you modify a settings file to make the game run smoother, look better, and whatnot, but you can also download modified texture files to make the characters and environments look a lot better also (and this is irregardless of the simple non-performance enhancing steroids...... uh.... I mean "mods" that modify your map to a colored one, a smaller menu, etc.).

However, if you're looking for a straight out-of-box competition, using nothing other than what came in the box and on the cd/dvd/magical go-go drive, it might very well still be the PC version, as you can usually modify a settings file to increase graphics in-game beyond what the actual game gives you options for, in addition to other features that are not modifying game files, but are still features available to anyone with a PC - an example of which is using that Nhancer or whatever to apply antialiasing to PSU.

In the end though, it's whatever works for you. If you like it on 360, play it on 360 and feel free to be entitled to your own opinion. You want to say it looks better, go ahead.

(PS - That's a big-ass tv, if it really is that big...)

Yunfa
Jul 14, 2009, 02:44 PM
(PS - That's a big-ass tv, if it really is that big...)

You know you want it Calsetes, At $6000+ with the SONY logo, + a $3000 BOSE surround sound, you know it's quality.

Calsetes
Jul 14, 2009, 02:50 PM
Nah, actually I'm good with my 52"er - it may not be that big, but seeing as how it's an XBR-5 that I got for a little less than half what they were going for, it's good enough for me. Plus, even that thing in my bedroom is making it a little unbearable on hot summer days when that evil "outside" room has the big light on overhead. It's like being in an easy-bake oven, only a lot larger and with more entertaining things to watch than some cupcakes rising.

I do wish I had that kind of cash to blow on stuff like that, though I'd probably not upgrade any of my entertainment center stuff aside from a bigger 360 hard drive.

3 Roses
Jul 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
I used to play the game on the PC but my laptop could barely handle the game and moved the xbox 360. I did play on that side for a while. For controller I used a PS2, xbox 360, and a ps3(recommended).

Yunfa
Jul 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Psh, the TV I use to play my 360 is smaller than the 360 itself.

Isn't that like, the size of a toaster oven? o_O

Aeris
Jul 21, 2009, 04:55 AM
Yes. ^^

EDIT: Do prepaid visa cards work for the PC/PS2 servers? If so, I'll go put like 20 bucks on one, and hop on to see what it's like.

Should try out and see, prepaid (also means debit i think) visa and mastercard should work.

Ethateral
Jul 21, 2009, 08:33 AM
I used a Wal-mart pre-paid Visa card when my bank was having some problems with MS. :x I put like 40 bucks on it. It worked fine.

Volcompat321
Jul 21, 2009, 09:09 AM
Quick question - if I sign up for a month, then cancel my account, they won't charge me after that, will they? (I've heard horror stories!) Also, if I don't cancel it, will I get overcharged or anything with a prepaid card? Thanks!

If you sign up for a month, and then cancel RIGHT AFTER YOU MAKE SURE IT'S WORKING no, it wont charge you more, and you can still play :D
If your on a prepaid card, and have only $9.99 it cant charge you more, since it's prepaid and there's no money left on it.
So, if you pay with a prepaid card, with say $10 on it, you will be set for 1 month ONLY. That being said, welcome to the pc/ps2 servers! Sorry I couldn't get on and exchange cards :( I let my account expire for a while.
Good luck, and happy hunting though!

:o answered on official lol.