PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU play PSU?

gratefulgriz
Jul 12, 2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry if there has been a thread like this in the past; forum search didn't come up with anything so here I go. This thread will probably benefit most long-time PS fans, but the intent is to grab new insight and at the same time revive feelings of why we have stuck with PSU when there are many MMO alternatives. I say alternatives because for me nothing is like PSU or PS in general. My background started with the original titles on the Genesis. As a young kid taking trips through PSIII and PSIV were amazing. Shining Force was the only other series that rocked my youthful world. I grew up and I was in a relationship and we had had an XBOX. One day at BestBuy I saw PS-Online and came home begging for us to get setup with Xbox live and do the whole PSO thing. We played spilt screen for hours! Now a days we have grown apart and the Xbox has long passed. Again I was at BestBuy and saw PSU in 2006 or 2007, of course I had to pick it up! Although there have been times where I have canceled and a few times I have bitched and moaned over lack of updates, I am satisfied saying that PS is the only online game that has been worth my while. Playing on my laptop with other PSU guardians has really made my opinion of online community complete. I rarely join a party and leave frustrated. Instead I have found the PSU community to be helpful, caring, and overall pretty humane. How many times have I partied with PartnerCard friends and have them give me the dropped Diads or uber boards? I think of many people who have, but mainly the character 132. He has been my best friend online since last summers MAG runs. The thrill of finding a rare, joining with good people and adventuring through run after run in casualness has been just what I hopped for in PSU. Those that can take this game for what its worth (though we do deserver better updates since we are paying) are what make this game worth. In ending, I would like to thank ALL PSU players, past and present, for their efforts and kindness. May the Holy Light be with you all and 3* Luck!
-Ladydatura

God_Shiden
Jul 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
Why do i play? 2 reasons.
1. Cuz i dont pay for my psu
2. Its actually quite fun when u find cool people to play with.

Freeze
Jul 13, 2009, 12:10 AM
I enjoy playing it plain and simple. PSU and PSO are my most played games.

Volcompat321
Jul 13, 2009, 12:14 AM
I play, because it's something to do, and friends of mine got me into it.

sovalou
Jul 13, 2009, 12:16 AM
no particular reason just something to do while im not playing MH 'frontier/unite.

Oh and and i can't forget the little friends i have left, and probably the only people whom i can say i trust in a video game xD.

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jul 13, 2009, 01:49 AM
After some long hard thinking, I've colcuded that the main reason why I play PSU is that I havent played many other MMO's so I don't even know what I'm missing.

wxfaustxw
Jul 13, 2009, 03:23 AM
for me its that it really takes me back to when me and a mate played pso split screen everyday for an entire year.... good times. plus because im bored of wow and ffxi, psu is so much more relaxed and fun.... things a game should be lol

WHlTEKNIGHT
Jul 13, 2009, 03:29 AM
Psu for me is a interactive chatroom, if there was no voice chat I would have left a very long time ago.

Volcompat321
Jul 13, 2009, 03:36 AM
no particular reason just something to do while im not playing MH 'frontier/unite.

Oh and and i can't forget the little friends i have left, and probably the only people whom i can say i trust in a video game xD.
We love you too Sov :beer:
You talking about me and others? :wacko:

Neith
Jul 13, 2009, 04:05 AM
1) There's nothing else similar that interests me.
2) All my friends still play PSU, for the most part. I don't see a reason to stop just yet.

darkante
Jul 13, 2009, 04:23 AM
I haven´t found anything similiar that is built for online gaming.
Maybe that´s why i like it so much.

a) It has a unique and a refreshing type of style.
b) You don´t need top gear to conquer the hardest missions.
c) Easy to get into and casual friendly.
d) Good amount of mix and match and very forgiving.

For many reasons, we should just leave it to die.
But some still stick by.
Why? abcd

Phenom588
Jul 13, 2009, 04:27 AM
I haven't really played long enough to do what most people have, I mean I have started to make friends and meet a few cool people but none of my good friends play the real game. I guess what keeps me playing is that either I really want to get to a level where I can start hunting for things so I can have that great feeling of happiness when I find one. Maybe I am hoping that some of my friends will get bored of insulting me and playing things like world of warcraft and get the game to play with me like we did back when we thought the demo on the 360 was amazing (inorite). I really don't know but I do know that so far it is quite fun, even if it is just grinding the same mission over and over again.

Ail
Jul 13, 2009, 05:11 AM
After some long hard thinking, I've colcuded that the main reason why I play PSU is that I havent played many other MMO's so I don't even know what I'm missing.

after like 0,00000000001 nanoseconds of thinking i've concluded that my main reason why i play psu is that i have played many other MMO's and i know that i'm missing absolutely nothing. :-P

PhdChristmas
Jul 13, 2009, 05:39 AM
i like playing games where there's no server protection and the managers's only word of "who to ban" are the players.

Dhylec
Jul 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
I play PSU mostly for fun. If I find it boring, I take a break & come back when I see something fun to do. No whining or dissing needed.

Katy
Jul 13, 2009, 08:08 AM
after like 0,00000000001 nanoseconds of thinking i've concluded that my main reason why i play psu is that i have played many other MMO's and i know that i'm missing absolutely nothing. :-P

I too have tried other MMO's and I can't believe what makes some of them so popular. From what I've played you just click on your enemy, from there you just keep clicking different menu's while your character does all the work. I'll take PSU's custom fighting styles over a cluttered screen of menu's any day.

Ithildin
Jul 13, 2009, 10:24 AM
I guess I play in the hope that one day my friends will return. :( I'm still enjoying it all the same but It's just not the same as it used to be.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jul 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
It's either this goddamn game or that nerd-fest that is WoW. Although truthfully I can't wait until Blade and Soul comes out. Oooh that looks like a good one. But I still am, and always will be, a PSO/PSU fan. So don't think because I play another MMO I'm not. I luvs my CASTs...even if she can't take damage well.

Ryno
Jul 13, 2009, 10:35 AM
Why do I play PSU?
1. To keep the record
I've been Playing since PSO 2003 I did play Phantasy Star clasics on the market place of xbox 360 which is actually quite cool.
My FOmarl is still level 199. if i level to 200 people might think i'm hax

roardova lengths
Jul 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
I play cause my wife is putting me through a divorce...

Ithildin
Jul 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
I play cause my wife is putting me through a divorce...

Wow that's a good reason (excuse) to play! :-/ I forgot to add that I play cos I'm loyal. I would hate to see Phantasy Star dissappear. I play on both platforms too. I haven't touched the 360 vers in ages but I still like to think my money is going towards a good cause!

ashley50
Jul 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
I play it 'cause I enjoy it.

hyperacute
Jul 13, 2009, 11:21 AM
Keeps me out of trouble and means my better half can have the TV all to herself XP

Yuicihi
Jul 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
I find the occasional run enjoyable.

It's also a nice retreat from the Battlefield.

Calsetes
Jul 13, 2009, 12:23 PM
1. Quick-play-friendly - I don't need to devote several consecutive hours to play this, nor do I NEED a full party of healer, tank, damage dealer, nuker, support, etc. I've played other MMOs that were like this and while I did like them and how they were set up, they just weren't for me. Sometimes I only have an hour or two to play, sometimes it's a whole day (but usually interrupted with the occasional half-hour to appease whoever else is in the house). This game suits me better than a lot of others out there.

2. PvE - I know this may sound surprising to hard-core gamers, but I LOVE PvE-based MMOs. It's probably due to the fact that until recently I was always stuck with satellite internet (note: this is different from WIRELESS internet, some people think satellite means cable but via wireless router, I'm talking about me sending a signal to space, having it come back to earth, then all that again back to me). I've tried some PvP stuff in recent months though, and the one thing about it I'm not a big fan of is you MUST stay near your level to be evenly matched, which people don't always (or even usually) do - they take a max level for the zone / battlefield / arena and target the weakest and lowest-leveled people there. Yeah, you could argue "it's survival of the fittest," but at what point does someone kill such a weaker person before they stop deriving any pleasure from it? Does "survival of the fittest" mean that whenever I play a game offline by myself, I should cheat whenever possible just because it would mean I am the best and most fit I could possibly be? PvE means working together towards a goal, and that means I have people watching my back for me, and with that mindset, I actually enjoy PvP if it's one faction against another, or one team against another.

3. Skill IS required - While theoretically you could get to the level cap off of nothing but Fight for Food C, it would take you forever and a day. While better equipment would help you out a good deal, you don't NEED the best equipment to succeed in the game - simply the right amount of skill is needed. Anyone who says otherwise cares only for one or two things - either how easy it is for them, or for bragging rights (i.e. fastest run of Mission X, max amount of damage done to Boss Y, number of grinds on Hard-To-Get-Weapon Z). The right amount of skill can get you through the missions on the hardest difficulty - only more skill, better equipment, and good teammates make it easier. If they were to add a battle mode like in PSO, while low-skill but high-equipment players would do really well, I'm pretty sure if a skilled enough player ran around luring his opponent into using up all his PP on his weapons, he would then have the advantage and be able to strike quickly enough that his opponent would fall rather quickly. But then again, that's just me speculating.

4. In this game, I can theoretically be self-sufficient for all my weapons and armor. They give you 4 character slots, there are 4 types of "pure crafters" you can make, and you have a common storage to transfer stuff between characters. I know a lot of other MMOs out there have similar features, but of the ones I've had extensive experience with (FFXI, EQ2 for Pay-to-Play games), you don't have enough character slots to have one of every type of craftable thing. I know it cuts down on the whole community aspect, but in EQ2, there was something rewarding with having my character decked out in weapons made by him, armor made by an alt, a skill book made by another alt, accessories and trinkets made by ANOTHER alt, and so on. Plus, if you need something made by someone else, and don't know if the only people available are trustworthy or not, you can just do it yourself.

Sorry for the long explanations, but that's pretty much why I like this game more than some of the others I've played. I know some of my points may cause some disagreement (such as someone saying "you need skill to play Game X" when it's one I would consider equipment to be the better determining factor of who would win), but hey - you can't please all the people all the time.

autumn
Jul 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
At the moment some friends that I thought would never play again are on. They are playing for the other reason I play PSU: something to do in between Aion beta weekends.

Tetsaru
Jul 13, 2009, 03:04 PM
I mainly enjoy this game for its combat. I don't see many other online games with instant "mutton-bashing" collision-detection style combat similar to something like Kingdom Hearts, etc. Point-and-click gameplay is a big turn-off for me, as I feel like I'm not part of the action.

I also love the amount of character customization that this game has. Whether you wanna run around killing stuff as a huge robot or in a bikini, you can do it, and not have to be constrained to the appearance of what gear you have equipped.

Although... this game DOES have a lot of frustrating elements in it that I'm surprised I've put up with all this time. First and foremost, the game's made by Sonic Team, which REALLY just needs to die; they're not making any good games anymore, and they're mutilating the Sonic franchise. Second, the game is horribly programmed and managed. GM's are never present 24/7, glitches (which usually appear AFTER the spoonfed updates we get) pop up all the time, servers aren't merged to allow everyone to play together and deal with the dwindling population problem, and the PS2 console is just outdated. I could go on and on, but I won't waste my time... a lot of my friends want me to play FF11 with them, but money's the biggest issue atm...

NiceOnes
Jul 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
I find the occasional run enjoyable.

It's also a nice retreat from the Battlefield.

WIN!!

Calsetes
Jul 13, 2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, Sonic Team needs to just say 2 things to kind of redeem themselves as a development team:

1. Make a 2d Sonic game that involves going from Stage 1-1 to 1-3, all the while trying to stop Dr. Robotnik (not this crappy "Dr. Eggman" stuff) from trying to turn all living things into robots a la the Matrix.

2. Make Phantasy Star 5 - a turn-based, single-player RPG with that classic-looking anime style (not the newer anime style companies have been using lately). Take it back to its roots with the Algol star system (that was the name, right? Been a while since I played them) and make it set a bit further down the road than 4. Oh, and none of this stupid "make your own hero!" stuff - if they make a character, give him a name, give him a background, they can develop a much more enveloping story than they can with "You're an observer and oh yeah, you do ALL the heavy lifting - leave the intriguing plot stuff to those of us who have custom player models."

Sorry, just my rant there.

Eclypse
Jul 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
I play PSU because a friend of mine talked me into coming back to PSU. We picked up the game when it came out, but I played it for 37 minutes and then cancelled my HL and hadn't been back. Since I have been back (2 days) I feel like I did back when we used to play PSO on the DC then the GC and Xbox. Its like a trip down memory lane when I see Maximum Attack and the old levels in HD glory although I wish Dark Falz was the same DF from the PSO days.

Great game and great community.

garjian
Jul 13, 2009, 06:33 PM
Why do i play? 2 reasons.
1. Cuz i dont pay for my psu
2. Its actually quite fun when u find cool people to play with.

precisely. though i woudnt use the word cool...

Pipiruu
Jul 13, 2009, 07:04 PM
I just keep coming back cause, well... I'd have to say because of the nostalgia. And there really isn't another game like PSU. It pretty much IS a unique experience, you know? ^ ^;

Shou
Jul 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
To wait for updates of course! :wacko:

gratefulgriz
Jul 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for all the great posts! I agree there are many MMOs to try, but most don't satisfy like PSU

pinkace
Jul 13, 2009, 09:54 PM
I play because I have nothing else to do in my life. I'm like that guy in 'Make love not Warcraft', I have no life whatsoever :) yayz!

Alnet
Jul 14, 2009, 07:14 AM
Yeah, Sonic Team needs to just say 2 things to kind of redeem themselves as a development team:

1. Make a 2d Sonic game that involves going from Stage 1-1 to 1-3, all the while trying to stop Dr. Robotnik (not this crappy "Dr. Eggman" stuff) from trying to turn all living things into robots a la the Matrix.
The thing about the name "Robotnik" was that Sega of America named him that. He was always known as Eggman in Japan. Why it was after Sonic Adventure that they decided to start calling him Eggman in the West is beyond me, however. But yeah, he was always Eggman. :wacko: But I do agree Sega's flagship series need to stop being headed by Sonic Team. PSU is alright, but it could be great if one of Sega's other subsidiaries produced it. I mean, look at Valkyria Chronicles.

On topic...

Part of the reason I play PSU is because people here and on the official site trash the game so much. I've -never- seen a game community that despises their own game so much, for any reason, valid or not. I've never heard of people who stop playing a game, only to come back and spend cumulative days of their lives complaining about something they're no longer a part of before I joined this game's community. As a supporter of underdogs, I can't help but be further drawn to things that people seem to dislike (unless it really is -that- bad). So... in its own special way, the community is a major factor. :3
Another part of the reason I play is that I enjoy the game. That's... about it.

x Jeaz Us x
Jul 14, 2009, 07:50 AM
its too adictive! id have to go through psu rehab to quite. lol

bupjo
Jul 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
been playing since 2006, (PSU) i'm addicted to it. i love the battle system, it's easy to get into, i'm attached to the characters i've made, and it's just plain fun. no it's not perfect, but as long as i enjoy it doesn't matter if it's perfect or not. a plus for me personally is that it allows me to create black avatars. not sure how many MMO's have that or not...i really enjoy the hell out of it.

Calsetes
Jul 15, 2009, 09:25 AM
been playing since 2006, (PSU) i'm addicted to it. i love the battle system, it's easy to get into, i'm attached to the characters i've made, and it's just plain fun. no it's not perfect, but as long as i enjoy it doesn't matter if it's perfect or not. a plus for me personally is that it allows me to create black avatars. not sure how many MMO's have that or not...i really enjoy the hell out of it.

Racist! Nah, just playing. Yeah, not too many of the games I've played let you make black characters - just thinking off the top of my head, EQ2 let you do it, maybe Tabula Rasa (only played it one day), and I think on the "free MMO" aspect Perfect World let you do it. Other than that, they don't really let you change skin tone in too many of these games - you're stuck as either White, Asian, Fantasy Monster Creature, or some deliniation of those.

Cherri420
Jul 15, 2009, 11:27 PM
I play mostly cuz my hubby plays and I met him on this game. Otherwise I would hav left along time ago.
And it can be fun sometimes... I take alot of breaks so im not that knowledgeable in this game, that makes it a turn off for me...
Also theres not much else I can do; this is the longest game I hav ever played.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jul 16, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'd like to have Sonic Team still work on the next iteration. I want to see what they can do as a real attempt at a next-gen Phantasy Star online game that isn't under the constraints of a platform like the PS2. I think too many things would change, especially combat-wise and design of levels, if another team headed it.

VertigoZero
Jul 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
I play cuz I love the PS series and don't really like the systems in the other MMOs..

Noblewine
Jul 16, 2009, 03:51 PM
I enjoy the games pick up and play quality. The fighting mechanics are easy to learn.
I wanna learn the games history.

puppyeater:O
Jul 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
because u dont need to do missions to have fun

Mystic_Nessly
Jul 16, 2009, 10:19 PM
I love Phantasy Star Universe primarily because of the incredible fighting system and awesome environments. It REALLY IS an escape from the "real world" for me. I thought I was addicted to PSO; I didn't know what addiction was until I got my hands on this. With utmost honestly, I believe I'm addicted to this game.

When I want to relax and view beautiful scenery, I go to the Ghural.
When I want to smash, cut, slap silly, incinerate or blast something, all the while listening to smooth jams, I go to Ghural.
When I want to socialize with my online buddies, I go to Ghural.
When I want to be silly or laugh, I go to Ghural.
When I want to have an incredible gaming experience, I go to Ghural.
When I want to feel powerful, I go to Ghural.

When I sleep, I think of Ghural.
When I leave Ghural, I think of Ghural.
When I eat, I think of Ghural.
When I talk to people, I think of Ghural.
When I attend classes, I think of Ghural.
When I play other games, I think of Ghural.

When I want to stop my addiction, I go to Ghural.

I can't stop thinking of and going to Ghural! Ghural has taken my life.
I LOVE AND HATE GHURAL!

What am I doing!? I should be studying for a math exam tomorrow morning!

gratefulgriz
Jul 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
lol, study for your math exam and then Ghural all you want!

Kylie
Jul 18, 2009, 06:47 PM
I still enjoy it, and now that I've got a few people back, I'm enjoying it even more. I mean, the game is a pretty decent game even with all of its flaws. I just think those flaws are hard to ignore without the company of others, and that's why I'm sure I'll leave again once everyone else does.

Konekochan07
Jul 18, 2009, 07:27 PM
I play PSU because I still have friends here and I haven't found another MMORPG that looks interesting enough to play. I like PSU, even with its faults and mistakes...

Mikura
Jul 18, 2009, 07:31 PM
I play PSU because it's an easy pick up and play game, and it's not a huge time-sink like other MMOs where it takes years to get all the best equipment. Oh, and I enjoy smashing things for big numbarz.

poorblackman
Jul 18, 2009, 08:19 PM
the reason i play well it has to be friends, and meeting new people who just got the game. It's also Because the Game never gets old when you take a 2-3 month breaks in between hardcore play besides a few people who really has anything better to play :3 so i say pop in the disk and give it a try nothing better then the person who hates psu but never played it then sad down for the first time and fell in love xD and its funny to see all the Sega haters scream they are gonna quit because SOA didnt give ---mission or event but they still pay n play the game so its always good to see that if you are in need of a good laugh

Meta77
Jul 19, 2009, 10:41 AM
i quite for a few months. im on my second month and have not really missed it to much.

MadDogg
Jul 19, 2009, 11:10 AM
2 Reasons.

1. There is literally no other online console RPG at the moment that doesn't suck in comparison. I've tried kingdom under fire on 360, wasn't feeling it. The only other option that is available to 360 right now is PSU. I'm currently waiting for champions online to come out, and I'm praying to god it actually releases on the exact same day as the PC version.

2. Out of the many mmo's and online rpgs I played, phantasy star online in general is still my favorite, hell phantasy star online became my favorite game of all time back when I played it on dreamcast when it first released. PSU is the same way, the combat system is addicting, none of that cooldown/aggro system crap every other mmo on the planet uses.

Everyday, I wish sega would make a sequel to PSU, fixing every single flaw this game currently has. Scrap this mission/reward system completely, bring back the lobby and stage system PSO uses. Keep the technic/bullet/and skill system of PSU. Keep the clothes/character customization of PSU. Bring back PSO's rare system. Keep the combat system of PSU. And most importantly, phase out the PS2 completely, so a sequel can be played to it's full potential with 360, PS3, and PC versions. If all of this actually happens, this would be THE best online rpg ever made, dammit.

Lunasol8888
Jul 19, 2009, 11:48 AM
With all the time I've already put into the game, how could I not?

MzHitman
Jul 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
I had some friends playing it, so I tried it. Played it ALOT for quite awhile, but then got into first person shooters like COD4 and COD WaW so I quit for a bit. Came back as a nice break from fps's. It's just a different type of game to play, plus I have a lot of really nice friends who play and they make it worthwhile. I get to enjoy their company and have a lot of help when I need it.

pikachief
Jul 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
well these are my reasons for playing in order 1st being the biggest reason :)

1. I can make large female characters! ^.^cant do that in many games :P lol

2.i have made lots of kewl friends i <3 =^.^=

3. i actually think this game is really kewl! :D

Alamar
Jul 29, 2009, 07:37 PM
Well for me....I left about 1 1/2-2 years ago. I played a couple other online games. The big names and the small. I came back here. Believe it or not this game is fun. It has an attraction that I never could put my finger on. I started like other here with PSO(DC version) online and continued on from there.
I have met a bunch of people on the way. Some I still talk to many I don't. In the end I found that the Phantasy Star Games brings people together that are a lot like myself.
Sure at the start you have your "problem" children that play but they get bored and move on. And all that is left is the people that truly love the game for all it's faults and errors.
Yes we would like better servers,support etc. etc. But we all know if Sega announced an expansion was coming we all would buy it.
Sorry for the long post that is just how I see the game and why I play it.
To meet people. have fun.

gratefulgriz
Jul 29, 2009, 07:40 PM
me too Alamar! hope to meet you sometime =) (PC)

Magus_84
Jul 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
I like the combat system. I appreciate the breadth and depth of customization that's possible. I hate standard MMORPG gameplay, and I'm not a huge fan of fantasy settings.

And because I have friends that still play.

Alamar
Jul 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Pc also

Lord Yurka
Jul 29, 2009, 08:40 PM
Well I had the urge to play an online game on my 360 for awhile now. I tried ff11 because a bunch of my friends were trying it, but they stopped playing about two weeks afterwards. I didn't really like the game so I decided to try psu online.

Also, I decided to give pso a break....for now

Reddragonx
Jul 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
I love to PSU for the fun factor of the game the mechanics of the game is great the action is superb the community is outstanding a easy going community not too to find friends and people to join and you out and I've played a lot of MMO's out there and this game is great.

The fast paced action teamwork the different events they come up with the weapons and techniques animations to go along with it awesome lighting effects fighting bosses side by side with your team realtime play spectatcular outfit for your character to wear and YOUR OWN ROOM to make any way you want it the character designs are excellent beaautiful levels that and more keep me playing this game :)

Genoa
Jul 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
Apparently I play PSU to see error messages a lot, and to even pay them to see it.
Believe it or not, I occasionally get to play the game.

brycechen
Dec 19, 2009, 01:02 PM
reason umm well the reason i played psu online mode it's because i played offline mode and was wanna watch if ethan and karen will finally be together. but till the psup2 i hade played just only noticed toninno and liina it's a couple but ethan and karen still stay at the stage of lover

stinkyfish97
Dec 20, 2009, 12:23 AM
Because no other game on the xbox is quite like psu. For all of its flaws psu is a pretty awesome concept and game. We just need to get rid of the middle man and get these updates and the price changed. The potential of this game was really high but tapered off because sega got greedy on us, put in a bunch of middle men and charged us 9.99 a month for 3 years now. Time for a price change I say.

LK1721
Dec 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Been a sucker for the Phantasy Star Online/Universe franchise since my dad bought PSO for the Dreamcast [Granted, I was too young to play it then and didn't play until BB]

Plus I really like the mechanics and designs of the game.

Untamed Dragoon
Dec 20, 2009, 12:44 AM
Reason why play is that it's simply a fun game to play with friends. :) I still remember split-screening pso ep1&2 with my brother and my little cousin. Good times. :) I still have friends who play psu, and their cool to play with. Plus, I notice some of my old friends who I didn't expect to come back to psu coming back. :D PSO/PSU fan forever. :)

GreenArcher
Dec 20, 2009, 01:57 AM
Holy necropost Batman!

Delete
Dec 20, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't :)

At least not for the past 5 months or so. That reminds me, my friend has my weapons :o
I'd better go get them sometime soon lol

Holy necropost Batman!

Lol, I know right :wacko:

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Dec 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hiya,

I first bough Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast, and i'm glad I did because I nearly didn't I'd read a very brief review of it in a DC magazine, it was towards the back barely a small pane on the page for the info ad a tiny screenshot, but i'd never played an online game before and it looked awesome.

About a year later I found it in a gameshop but already selected the games I wanted, I took a look at unreal tournament in my hand and PSo caught my eye, i'm so glad I made the switch ^_^ Back in the day with dial up internet which was basically pay as you go internet so my dad limited me to 2 hours a week. Which, even then I found unbarable. I often would wake up at stupid o'clock just to play online, dad used to go livid, wasn't exactly subtle a huge white phone cable leading from the modem round the house to my room.

"Are you on that bloody game again?"
"...Noo dad :P"

I played it religiously offline but never got to level 100 (as I only had ver1). The first time I went online with my level 40 something char I got nol'd my first ever game, two hackers saw me in the lobby, heck I was such a noob I didn't even know that : ) was a smiley symbol etc, such a tard, and yep got turned into a level 5 Nol, shame that SEGA bleep out most of the swearing as I was going livid.

Anyways cut a long story short, I then got Gamecube PSO, just as badly hacked but such an amazing game, got closer to the cap about 160 something out of 200.

Then I found PSU, didn't play it lots to begin with as it was my first gaming PC and I was being enthralled by such games as COD2, FEAR and others. But I kept coming back to this and eventually got addicted again.

So I play this mainly cos of my addictive personality, and my yearning to cap at least one char on the Phantasy Star series....yet I've made about 8 or more chars on this game. I can't stick to one character. My highest is 134 but I've lost interest in him, so much so I made 3 characters after, recently deleted my level 101 Deunan to make a CAST GM,

Anyways this is turnign into a novel. I tried playing other MMORPG's recently, WOW the fighting system felt wooden, sure the massive battles were incredible but the gameplay felt too much like the really old RPG's games etc. I tried champions online too, amazign grpahics and gameplay but the community wasnt that firendly

All in all I love PSu, shame i coudlnt get 360 to work wihtout lag but i'll play PC PSU till the day the server shuts down ^_^

Tifa

coxy96
Dec 22, 2009, 07:03 AM
how do u play pso and how do u get on it

SuKKrl
Dec 22, 2009, 04:03 PM
Well, I got PSO for the Dreamcast long, long time ago, but when I was younger I wasn't simply bad, I was really awful at the game ^^;.

My interest in PSO vanished due to my frustation with myself, but it was revived when years later my brother bought PSO ver 1 and 2 for the Gamecube. I've only played offline in the Gamecube but it was good splitscreen fun.

After some time I got a sudden urge to play PSO online again and decided to check how things were, I found out the PSOBB server was no more and read about PSU, which I didn't even remember that existed. I played the 360 demo, liked it, and then got it for the PC (I prefer to play games at my PC). Basically I play PSU because I'm somewhat addicted to it :D.

(By the way Tifa, one of the few games I've still got for my Dreamcast - its dead - is Unreal Tournament, playing with a limit of 4 players wasn't that fun unfortunately ^^;)

Frosty7645
Dec 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
i still play but not as much anymore. If i had a larger friend list id be happier, so anyone whos on leave a message in my shop
its rob hes a human an i play on pc so hit me up the shops add is
the new design so yea drop a pm

Smokey's Princess
Dec 23, 2009, 07:06 AM
1. i play it cause my friends still play it
2. i love when they ACTUALLY UPDATE psu
3. i play out of boredom...lol[=

characters: Smokey's Princess-123--N1SxChiBi AnGeL-85--xx BoNniE oo-73--LeXi BeAr[=-1...lol[=

SuperRygar
Dec 23, 2009, 02:09 PM
haha playing PSU to be black. nice

i play because of my love for PSO. that's what got me started. its a good game to play casually because unlike other MMO's you dont have to dedicate your life to just get everything out of the game.

TekkamanCrazy
Dec 23, 2009, 04:14 PM
Updates is usually what keeps me playing PSU. On the other hand hunting and leveling(PM,techs,skills) keep me busy.

Chuck_Norris
Dec 23, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't.

Akaimizu
Dec 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
When it comes to games that allow dark-shaded characters. Don't forget Guild Wars. That's actually the first one I remember that not only allowed you to make characters like that, but ones with particular facial features that happen to only be shared with certain folks from certain geographical areas. And while certain noses and short-curl hairstyles aren't necessarily black-only. They were never included in other games, so even those folks couldn't be represented. Those few mentioned, and Guild Wars, allow darker skin shades, but most of them stick you with only certain generic facial types that miss out on a vast majority of darker-skinned people. Guild Wars kind of surprised me, but that's what they got for actually having an entire expansion based off of a heavy African influence.

What's cool, is that some lighter-shade folks also need those features, so it's all good.

Still, my reasons for Phantasy Star (as I have to say that, because I split my time between lots of Phantasy Star Online games, now) is that it is unique.

For one, it's the *ONLY* Sci-fi based Online RPG, where you can customize a character and run around with it, that actually survives to this day. All of the rest of them failed dismally and had a really short run. There's Eve online, but you don't customize a character or run around with it, you're basically the ship and all combat and movement is in space.

The second part is that it's an Online RPG that is real-time action, not on a turn-based clock. The mechanics of the game are a lot more like a 3D action game than an MMO. That says a lot for how unique it is. Nothing like taking the controller, running around with no delay (lag permitting) dodging, fighting, shooting, and casting. And with a character you customized further than most games allow. (Though wearable appearances are limited in comparison) Still, I think nothing really replaces a good Phantasy Star (online RPG), except another one of them.

j_endo
Dec 23, 2009, 04:29 PM
i played pso dc and liked it so much so i wanted to get this while waiting for star craft 2

gratefulgriz
Dec 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
I am going to resubscribe today for the helluv of it

Max B
May 29, 2010, 10:47 PM
Because this is the only MMO Action RPG I realy enjoy.

Volcompat321
May 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
Another nice bump.

Darki
May 29, 2010, 11:22 PM
As someone said, I play PSU because of the unique features it has compared to other MMOs, such as:

- Futuristic SCI-FI style. I love fantasy-based games, but... WoW, for example, makes me feel I'm playing some crap version of TLOTR with weird looking characters. Many other free MMOs around, (I dunno... DOMO, FlyFF...) never kept me playing for too long, but I'd say i'd play them more for fun. Cabal online was cool in character and class selection but it gets boring easily if you don't pay for the premiun features.

- Action RPG control. C'mon, I've grown killing Ganondorfs with all my consoles, while many MMORPGs are cool to play, the "click & destroy" feature for them really makes me get bored of them really fast. The idea of taking my controller and being able to dodge shoots, hits and spells for real and not due to a stat number in my profile, or to attack monsters for real swinging weapons with the stick is a good thing in any game.

- Visuals. PSU is cool-looking, I wouldn't ever say that about Ragnarök Online (though it's my second favorite MMO) or WoW. PSU style is simply refreshing and cool.

By the way, some things that kept me out of the game back before in US/EU servers were the lack of updates, bassically. There was a moment in which all my options to have fun were to try getting all my melee weapons/Shadoogs to 50% (and I had most of them over 42% so y'know... Not to attracting), to cap my PAS (and I had them already in the last tiers for my classes, so I wouldn't gain much from them) or to get BS for my PM.

Thankfully, the death of the global server was a "good" thing, because first, I had to start over in JP so I would be busy with that, and second, there are actually updates there, so there's always something to do.

BlueNero
May 30, 2010, 12:18 AM
I tried other mmorpgs and PSU is the one i love the most :D

Izunagi
May 30, 2010, 02:38 AM
I play PSU mainly because of it being different from most MMO's point and click gameplay (and to take a break from COH/COV). That and PSU is the closest thing to a .hack style of combat.

Kenbog
May 30, 2010, 04:27 AM
SEGA forced me to stop playing but if the PC server is still up and if xbox didn't pissed me off I still would play.

I love action rpg's developing characters, hunt for gear with a nice fighting system.
Really love the art style of this game, everything is colorful and has lots of customization.

I didn't need other games when PSU was still here, well back to mh until pspo2 comes out....

kikusha05
May 8, 2019, 09:31 PM
I played Phantasy Star Universe while I was working at a call center. I rented it from Block Buster for the PS2 and played it one weekend. Now I play it again; I bought a PS2 at this generation because now I don't work and have free time so I bought the game and Ambition of the Illuminous. I played it on the Xbox 360 too but when I wanted to play on Xbox Live it would tell me to download the Ambition of the Illuminous, but I couldn't find it. And so I couldn't play online. So now I play it and I have enjoyed it on my new PS2. Ethan Waber is my friend, and I liked Kiran Erra too aswell as Mirei. But I love Magashi! I think his character design is really good. But I don't like Laia because she said things about Ethan that weren't true. I love this version compared to the other ones in the series.

Chidori
Jun 5, 2019, 10:02 PM
I like that you can actually visit each planet and they have their own mission areas, shops, events, npc's, recreational areas, etc. Unlike pso2 with it's one big lobby.