PDA

View Full Version : Revenge Of The Red Rings

Delete
Jul 17, 2009, 09:18 PM
EDIT: READ POST 126 FOR LATEST RANTING:

Holy Shit, I am so pissed off and the only place I could think to come to and let it out on is here. Part one of this story can be found here------>http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164853

Now, a lot of you know of my whole problem that I had and I would of continued from my other thread but it got locked. So here's a recap. 360 messed up 7 times, and I said F it. About 2 months without a 360, I was feeling the urge to play it again. Seeing game trailers for COD Modern Warfare 2 and Bioshock 2 were not helping me not want one either. Finally today, I said what the hell, I'm actually gonna pick one up, it's been so long and I miss some of my good friends. I go to Gamestop and pick it up, I asked the guy could he make sure it works, he goes in the back and checks it or so he says. I get home and hook everything up, I'm like OMG...... I'm so getting on PSU and Halo tonight. Instead, I see Red Rings. I think, well, the hook ups are probably wrong...so I redo them all. Still Red Rings. I begin to get pissed off. And keep trying until I realize it will not work, plus it is/was already 9:45, Gamestop closes at 10, so I can't even take it back tonight.
I know I can switch it out tomorrow but it's the whole ideal of it. It's like I have a curse, I never ever cuss much often, but tonight, I think I said enough bad things to go to prison for a year.

SStrikerR
Jul 17, 2009, 10:23 PM
I would be so pissed off at that employee if that happened. I know it's not a huge deal and all but I would be pretty annoyed if that happened to me. Luckily I've never had any problems with my 360. :wacko:

Delete
Jul 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
That's a very rare statement, at least for my ears, all of my good friends on live (like 30 real cool ones) have had there 360's RROD them at least once. You got a really good one :D

Chuck_Norris
Jul 18, 2009, 01:01 AM
Xbox. :disapprove:

SStrikerR
Jul 18, 2009, 02:07 AM
Well I've only had mine for 7 months, but I use it a lot. I'm surprised that I've been that lucky.
inb4rrod

Tetsaru
Jul 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
I still refuse to buy a 360, especially after seeing how my best friend's died 3 days after he got it. They're as reliable as Segac is incompetent... >_<

SStrikerR
Jul 18, 2009, 03:59 PM
Having fun ranting about Sega are we? But no, you're wrong. Sega fucks everythng up (I'm looking at you, PSU and Sonic) while 360 works fine for a lot of people.

Delete
Jul 19, 2009, 05:02 PM
:D Well, this is my 9th one(altogether) and now it is finally working smoothly.
I still hate Microsoft for all this crap though.

MetaZedlen
Jul 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
I still refuse to buy a 360, especially after seeing how my best friend's died 3 days after he got it. They're as reliable as Segac is incompetent... >_<

It's so much fun reading about your constant BITCHING about a game you hate, and yet you keep playing it, so either stop playing it, or keep playing, and either way, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Anyway, good luck to your 360 lasting this time Delete, it's never fun dealing with dying consoles...

Freeze
Jul 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
My brother was three weeks shy of two years before he saw the rings and that was one of the first 360s that came out. I've had my ellite for almost two years now with out any signs of trouble.

*knock on wood*

Nitro Vordex
Jul 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
HAHAHA. That whole paragraph made me laugh.

I go to Gamestop and pick it up, I asked the guy could he make sure it works, he goes in the back and checks it or so he says.

GAMESTOP

I seriously have no pity for you at all.

Personally I got mine from best buy in March, and I've had no problems with it. Any problems I have had are with the disc I got. (lolgamestop)

The people who have their 360's fuck up are usually the ones who fuck it up themselves.

Also, PSTREY FOR LIFE. IT'S ABOUT DEM PS TRIPLES LAWL.

amtalx
Jul 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
The people who have their 360's fuck up are usually the ones who fuck it up themselves.

Wrong. MS dropped the ball with cooling, and the optical drives have about a [insider info deleted] mean time before failure.

@OP: It sounds like you have everything worked out, but I would have shit all over that GameStop employee. I've found that you can get blood from a stone if you walk into a store looking to make some heads roll, particularly if you are a repeat customer.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 21, 2009, 02:50 PM
Well, I've taken care of my Xbox and I haven't had any problems, so there.

amtalx
Jul 21, 2009, 03:17 PM
And how long have you had it? XD My launch unit lasted a little less than a year with heavy use. The shortest life span I've had has been about 6 months. Mileage will vary, but its rare that they fail any faster than that. However, an XBL friend of mine had a brand new one fail after 3 days or marginal use (couple hours per day).

Nitro Vordex
Jul 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
Launch unit was your problem bro. We all know not to ride that train, yet we do it anyway. :wacko:

Volcompat321
Jul 21, 2009, 03:31 PM
Red Ring in the financial red
Microsoft's problems with the Red Ring of Death are well documented. The company went public with its woes in 2008, saying that it was setting aside $1 billion to deal with the situation. While the company's efforts are sincere, and $1 billion is a heavy hit to take, we're hearing that so far the problem has exceeded the $1 billion mark and is showing no signs of slowing.
I read this from my Game Informer I got sometime this weekend.
That's ridiculous. I mean, damn $ 1 BILLION! That means they had to have made more than that on XBOX's before, right?
I've had no problem with my xbox, although I've only had it since christmas, and play maybe 3 hours every 2 weeks. lol.
Either way $1 billion is a shit load of cash to be fixing something that should have been corrected after the first year it was made.

amtalx
Jul 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
Launch unit was your problem bro. We all know not to ride that train, yet we do it anyway. :wacko:

That one actually lasted the longest of all of them, and I'm on my 5th. :o

Volcompat321
Jul 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
If I ever had to go through 5 Xbox's, I'd give up.
No lie, I wouldn't even waste my time with another past the second maybe.
Jeeze...

amtalx
Jul 21, 2009, 04:25 PM
When it comes to electronics, I always get extended warranties for anything unproven (launch consoles) or anything over $2k. That paid off in spades for my 360s because I actually got a brand new 360 every time instead of a refurb like with manufacturer warranties. It was really no hassle at all. All I did was chuck my 360 in the back seat of my car, run off to the mall, and get a new console. They usually knew why I was there before I even said anything, haha. The whole process took maybe 25 mins including driving time.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
That one actually lasted the longest of all of them, and I'm on my 5th. :o
Oh wow. :wacko:

Jaspaller
Jul 23, 2009, 07:05 PM
Ouch, 9th? I'm still on my first (Elite) from a little over two years ago. No problems so far and this thing was used pretty heavily when I first bought it.

Delete
Jul 26, 2009, 04:02 AM
HAHAHA. That whole paragraph made me laugh.

I seriously have no pity for you at all.

Personally I got mine from best buy in March, and I've had no problems with it. Any problems I have had are with the disc I got. (lolgamestop)

Also, PSTREY FOR LIFE. IT'S ABOUT DEM PS TRIPLES LAWL.

Nitro......I could totally get banned for leaving a really dirty comment at you, but I am not gonna give you the satisfaction of that. However, you assumed I got my 360 from Gamestop like everytime I'm guessing, that is not the case. My second one was from Best Buy and that messed up too. So unless your a secret spy who watches what I do 24 7, please don't assume stuff about me.

PS: Please point out where the Hell I asked for pity btw, oh yeah.......I didn't.
And I did not mess my system up either, I freakin work 8 hours a day so I don't even play much. what the hell do you do? Play PSU everyday huh? I thought so.
* Kinda went off in the end because nitro pissed me off before in a similar way*

Volcompat321
Jul 26, 2009, 04:34 AM
People, Nitro especially, you don't realize that stuff from Gamestop(new) and stuff from Walmart, or Best Buy, or any other electronic store,
COME FROM THE SAME DAMN PLACE!
If the system is new, it came from Microsoft. Don't act like buying stuff from Gamestop is horrible, cause it's not.
Name another successful franchise where you can trade in games, systems and accessories, get cash or store credit and buy games, systems, and accessories with it.
Gamestop is great for new items, not used. They may not have the best deals around, but they certainly aren't horrible for being a store. They are obviously doing good, there are 4 Gamestop's in a 20 mile radius in my city alone!
I happen to like Gamestop, they always have a great attitude, very helpful giving game advice and whatnot. (I usually don't know what I want, and they give me suggestions, and I end up liking them 90% of the time).
I guess I'll stop ranting now, Gamestop is a store, they don't knowingly accept fucked up shit, merchandise comes from a vendor, which comes from Microsoft, the same place Best Buy, Walmart, and other electronic stores get their shit.

AC9breaker
Jul 26, 2009, 10:30 AM

Your xbro is gonna fuck up eventually. Save yourself the trouble now and jump ship. TR3Y 4 LI4E!

http://www.ninjagamer.com/macros/trey4life.gif

Nitro Vordex
Jul 26, 2009, 02:07 PM
Nitro......I could totally get banned for leaving a really dirty comment at you, but I am not gonna give you the satisfaction of that. However, you assumed I got my 360 from Gamestop like everytime I'm guessing, that is not the case. My second one was from Best Buy and that messed up too. So unless your a secret spy who watches what I do 24 7, please don't assume stuff about me.
Details would be nice when you write posts.

And I did not mess my system up either, I freakin work 8 hours a day so I don't even play much. what the hell do you do? Play PSU everyday huh? I thought so.
So unless your're a secret spy who watches what I do 24/7, please don't assume stuff about me.Cool hypocritical bro.

qu35t3rn
Jul 26, 2009, 02:46 PM
Having fun ranting about Sega are we? But no, you're wrong. Sega fucks everythng up (I'm looking at you, PSU and Sonic) while 360 works fine for a lot of people.

So, would this be a bad time to mention that Sega pretty much designed the 360 system? [It's essentially the Dreamcast 2.]

Delete
Jul 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
Details would be nice when you write posts.
Cool hypocritical bro.

Okay, yeah you got me there, but it still gives you no reason to be an ass. You can read all of my 577 posts and you will see I do not start shit with people. It's so stupid to deliberately piss someone off by leaving a comment like you did. This is why my threads get locked >.>

Volcompat321
Jul 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
Not to butt in on yours and Nitro's conversation, but you just made somewhat of another hypocritical statement.
"This is why my threads get locked."
If you didn't "start shit" they wouldn't get locked.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
Not to butt in on yours and Nitro's conversation, but you just made somewhat of another hypocritical statement.
This.

There's always gonna be comments that you won't like. And apparently we disagree on a lot of things.

I like that.

AC9breaker
Jul 27, 2009, 03:02 AM
TR3Y 4 LI4E

Nitro Vordex
Jul 27, 2009, 03:39 AM
TALKIN' BOUT DEM PEE ESS TRIPLES

Delete
Jul 27, 2009, 06:16 AM

Kinda confused with that, if you mean it like I started something with nitro then No, I did not.
If someone is gonna be an ass, so will I. What I mean in "I don't start shit" is exactly that, I don't, but when someone does, then I will fight back, (with words lol) And when I said "Thats why my threads get locked"......that's because people say something that pisses me off. Opinions are one thing, being a jerk is different.
Hopefully, none of that sounded mean in anyway, your one of the many people on this website who I never have problems with man. :P

Volcompat321
Jul 27, 2009, 08:08 AM
Nah, it didn't sound mean. My point was if they get locked, either you, or the people in your thread are doing something wrong :(
I am one for arguing, but I say if someone is going to piss you off, and you don't want your thread locked, don't "be an ass" back to them. Problem solved :D

amtalx
Jul 27, 2009, 09:01 AM
Your xbro is gonna fuck up eventually. Save yourself the trouble now and jump ship. TR3Y 4 LI4E!

PS3z don't have a chance to break because there aren't enough good games to have a reason to turn them on.

HUZZZAH!

/h8r

Delete
Jul 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nah, it didn't sound mean. My point was if they get locked, either you, or the people in your thread are doing something wrong :(
I am one for arguing, but I say if someone is going to piss you off, and you don't want your thread locked, don't "be an ass" back to them. Problem solved :D

Lol, Kinda hard to do that last part :wacko:

Outrider
Jul 27, 2009, 01:14 PM
So, would this be a bad time to mention that Sega pretty much designed the 360 system? [It's essentially the Dreamcast 2.]

Wow. No, that's not true.

Volcompat321
Jul 27, 2009, 01:14 PM
Lol, Kinda hard to do that last part :wacko:
Maybe, but if you don't want em locked, what else you gonna do?
If you don't mind em being locked, keep on doing whatcha want, right?

Nitro Vordex
Jul 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wow. No, that's not true.
People like to point out similarities between the Dreamcast and the 360.

Not sure why. :/

AC9breaker
Jul 27, 2009, 06:18 PM
PS3z don't have a chance to break because there aren't enough good games to have a reason to turn them on.

Touché my friend. Touché.

Weeaboolits
Jul 28, 2009, 06:37 AM
I keep misreading this title and expecting a hockey rant.

Delete
Jul 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not saying sorry, but let's put this crap behind us Nitro. I really don't wanna argue with PSO people anyway.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 30, 2009, 11:29 PM
And I don't really talk with PSU people. Common ground reached. :wacko:

Volcompat321
Jul 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
I thought this thread was closed a long time ago, like back when Ronin said-

I keep misreading this title and expecting a hockey rant.

(wait, I play PSU...though you don't really talk directly to me anyway)

Delete
Jul 30, 2009, 11:48 PM
And I don't really talk with PSU people. Common ground reached. :wacko:

I'm so gonna mail you a huge Bomb :)

wait, I play PSU...though you don't really talk directly to me anyway)

I should of said PSO world people, my bad man :D

Nitro Vordex
Jul 30, 2009, 11:55 PM
Better be fucking ginormous, or I'll be disappointed.

Volcompat321
Jul 30, 2009, 11:56 PM
I should of said PSO world people, my bad man :D

I actually said that to Nitro lol. :D

Vanzazikon
Jul 31, 2009, 12:00 AM
It's so stupid to deliberately piss someone off by leaving a comment like you did. This is why my threads get locked >.>You showed us a great example why your topics get locked.

I'm not saying sorry, but let's put this crap behind us Nitro. I really don't wanna argue with PSO people anyway.Personal problems with other members are to be discussed through private messages. Plus, you're derailing your own thread by getting offended. Seriously, don't be so sensitive, it wasn't really a strong statement anyways. >_>

On-topic: Well, I thought you learned your lesson when you made that previous thread when you're last X-box had the red rings. It sucks to be unlucky.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 12:06 AM
I still have my Xbox...I been playing it a lot since I started my break from PSU. It hasn't really even been hot outside of it's normal.
I kinda want to get rid of my Xbox and get something I'll use more often. I just don't know what that is yet...

Delete
Jul 31, 2009, 12:28 AM
You showed us a great example why your topics get locked.

Personal problems with other members are to be discussed through private messages. Plus, you're derailing your own thread by getting offended. Seriously, don't be so sensitive, it wasn't really a strong statement anyways. >_>

On-topic: Well, I thought you learned your lesson when you made that previous thread when you're last X-box had the red rings. It sucks to be unlucky.

I didn't get your first statement, but ok.
And too answer the rest, It's all behind me now. True it's not on topic, but who gives a shit right? Lol

Also, to Nitro. This should do
.http://www.theordinary.org/photos/kevin_bomb_m_f.jpg

Nitro Vordex
Jul 31, 2009, 01:17 AM
Looks like garbage. day

BIGGER.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2009, 08:55 AM
I kinda want to get rid of my Xbox and get something I'll use more often. I just don't know what that is yet...

Nothing. If you don't use your 360 a lot, you won't use a PS3 any more, and you certainly won't use a Wii. Wait for the next generation of hardware. :p

Outrider
Jul 31, 2009, 09:45 AM
A new console isn't going to fix gaming ADD, an issue that I've found many people suffer from.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 09:47 AM
I actually use my PS3 a lot. A friend of mine let me download a few games using his PSN account.
I haven't bought any games yet, but I plan to. I heard Sacred 2 was good.
I use my Wii too. I play Super Smash Bros a lot, and as soon as Monster Hunter Tri comes out, you bet I will be playing with my RL friends every day.
I just have no use for the Xbox and it's the console I have the most games for, I really would like to sell it and cut my losses before I want to buy anymore games for it.
There just isn't an Xbox game that catches my attention, other than Prototype, but that's also for PS3.

A new console isn't going to fix gaming ADD, an issue that I've found many people suffer from.

I don't really have gaming ADD, I just don't like most games.
I'm really not a gamer type, I play very few games to begin with.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2009, 10:43 AM
Oh god. Don't get Sacred 2. I just uninstalled that last night. Just get the Diablo Battle Chest. Its graphically inferior, but there is no measure to how much better Diablo II is than Sacred 2...and its almost a decade old. There is a patch/mod to make it run in any resolution your video card supports. I wouldn't though. Higher resolutions actually make things too small in that game.

Aside from that, we must have different taste in games. I've found PSNs downloadable game library to be incredibly weak compared to XBL Arcade. I think I got Super Stardust HD, and that was it. Check out 'Splosion Man for XBL. That is just stupid fun.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yea, we must have different taste lol.
The only MMO I've ever played is PSU....
I'm loving Prototype, which I got for the 360, but it's also on PS3, so nothing special there.
(I actually thought it was a Xbox exclusive, til I saw it on a commercial) :( which is why I got it for Xbox to begin with, or else I would have gotten it for PS3.
I do like how Xbox is 1080p now. A friend of mine told me Xbox couldn't go past 720p, but MS updated or whatever. I don't know how that works, but it's great.
As far as graphics goes the Xbox has about the same as the PS3, so I don't see why people complain about that. I cant see a difference in the games I play, for both PS3 and Xbox.
(a friend of mine doesn't have an Xbox so he gets the games I play, but for PS3) he also has a 1080p HD TV and they look about the same, maybe only a trained eye can see the difference.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2009, 01:56 PM
You friend is a liar. :p 360 originally began with 1080i max, but somehow managed to cram 1080p support in later (which is super weird because 360 has more 1080p games than PS3 now). It doesn't matter much since a vast majority of games don't even support 1080p.

But yes, 360 and PS3 look the same.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 02:13 PM
All the games I've gotten so far, or rented, have supported 1080p.
They were all newer games though, if that matters.
Also, that doesn't make him a liar, if it wasn't 1080p, since 1080i and 1080p are different. :wink:
Misinformed, maybe.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
According to your story, he did lie. :wacko:

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 02:31 PM
Only misinformed.
I guess he did, if he knew it could go past 720p.
Oh well, I know the truth now.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 31, 2009, 02:37 PM
LIES.

Outrider
Jul 31, 2009, 02:53 PM
I'm really not a gamer type, I play very few games to begin with.

As I've pointed out, you keep claiming you play very few games, but it's clear from every single post you've ever made that you play far more games than a lot of people on this forum.

God only knows why you feel it's necessary to convince us how cool you are (because you totally don't play video games), but please leave your denial at the door.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
All the games I've gotten so far, or rented, have supported 1080p.
They were all newer games though, if that matters.
Also, that doesn't make him a liar, if it wasn't 1080p, since 1080i and 1080p are different. :wink:
Misinformed, maybe.

Most recent games would definitely increase your chances, but keep in mind that just because you have 1080p set in the XMB doesn't mean that the game will be in 1080p.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 03:30 PM
As I've pointed out, you keep claiming you play very few games, but it's clear from every single post you've ever made that you play far more games than a lot of people on this forum.

God only knows why you feel it's necessary to convince us how cool you are (because you totally don't play video games), but please leave your denial at the door.

It's cool to not play games? Also, people on these forums play lots of games, I play like 3 games total. (monster hunter, PSU/PS: P and Prototype) Either way, it's not a big deal. I guess I can stop saying it. After every time you point out I say that, I still don't give a damn, as you should clearly see. :wacko:

Most recent games would definitely increase your chances, but keep in mind that just because you have 1080p set in the XMB doesn't mean that the game will be in 1080p.

Yea, I know that.
On my TV when the game loads it kinda "resets" the TV I guess you could say, and it it shows the resolution. I've gotten a few that weren't even 720p.
Most of the time I get that for the PS3 games.

amtalx
Jul 31, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've gotten a few that weren't even 720p.

Gross, haha.

Just think, DVD quality video looked pretty sweet 10 years ago.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hell yea. I remember when they were getting to be a big deal.
Now we have Blue-Ray quality DVD's. Those DVD's are ridiculously amazing.
My sisters TV is pretty new(got it within the last 3 months) and the picture kinda looks TOO good. It's hard to explain, but I'll try.
The way it scrolls kinda looks like your moving your eyes in that direction, not choppy or distorted in any way. I guess it's a kind of thing you have to see, to tell what I mean.

Outrider
Jul 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey look it's a quote

I'm trying to explain why so many people dismiss you in discussions. This is called "help." It's something you should consider taking one of these days.

(Or, you know, you could just continue vomiting all over the furniture whenever you post. Whatever works.)

Now that that's over with, a (semi-)legitimate question:

When 1080p was first introduced to the 360, I had read that Microsoft was requiring the HDMI to do so - does anybody know if this is true? In theory, you should be able to get that through component video, right? Are they artificially gimping it for no good reason?

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 04:32 PM
Not a big deal, bro.

Now that that's over with, a (semi-)legitimate question:

When 1080p was first introduced to the 360, I had read that Microsoft was requiring the HDMI to do so - does anybody know if this is true? In theory, you should be able to get that through component video, right? Are they artificially gimping it for no good reason?

Not sure what you mean, but I will try to understand.
The components are the yellow, red, and white cords, right?
Some Xbox's don't have the HDMI thing, but you can buy an HDMI adapter thing.
You have to hook the components into that, and it gives you an HDMI part, which you plug in your TV.
Are you asking if that gives it 1080p?
Because that I don't know. I would assume that adapter gives it the full potential of HD.
I'll do some research.

Is this what you mean? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7461828&type=product&id=1126591945844) This thing says it's 1080i supported.

red1228
Aug 2, 2009, 11:47 PM
I was never a fan of Xbox to begin with but a few months ago I had the cash and some of the games on 360' looked very cool (Soul Calibur 4, Armored Core: For Answer, Fable 2). So I got one, guess what happened AS SOON AS I GOT HOME? I hook it up, and instead of seeing the main browser, I get a blank screen and 3 flashing red lights around the power button. I thought, "Maybe I didnt put the cables in all the way like I've been hearing". So I unplug everything and replug them all in, making sure the plugs went in the console and the house plugs as far as possible... Still three flashing red lights.
I call microsoft and they tell me it would be easier and faster to just take it back and exchange it rather then wait 1-4 weeks for MicroSoft to try and "Fix it".

So the next day I go back and exchange it for another brand new one. And guess what? It worked this time! Feeling relieved and anxious to play, I pop in Soul Calibur 4 (fun game and I liked character creation). Next morning, I give Armored Core: 4A a try (huge fan since the PS1 games, tho Nexus and Last Raven were garbage IMO). I was relieved that (despite the totally new controls) it was much better then Nexus or Last Raven. However, by the time I got to the game's third mission, something strange was happening... My game would just freeze for a few seconds mid-gameplay. This was rather concerning so after the 3rd "freeze" I turned off my 360 and left it alone for a few hours.

When I came back and tried to turn it on tho... There were those same 3 flashing red lights reminding me why I should not have gotten a 360. I took it back (again) and this time I just said "give my $400 back and I'll be on my way, thank you".

TL;DR - The ridiculously HIGH rate of broken Xbox 360's is about as excusable as the way PSU gets managed. For being a "Next-Gen" (I guess you would call it current-gen right now) Console, these things break easier then toothpicks. No I will NOT accept "free repairs" that take 1-4 weeks when it should NOT happen in the first place.

/rant

Delete
Aug 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
I was never a fan of Xbox to begin with but a few months ago I had the cash and some of the games on 360' looked very cool (Soul Calibur 4, Armored Core: For Answer, Fable 2). So I got one, guess what happened AS SOON AS I GOT HOME? I hook it up, and instead of seeing the main browser, I get a blank screen and 3 flashing red lights around the power button. I thought, "Maybe I didnt put the cables in all the way like I've been hearing". So I unplug everything and replug them all in, making sure the plugs went in the console and the house plugs as far as possible... Still three flashing red lights.
I call microsoft and they tell me it would be easier and faster to just take it back and exchange it rather then wait 1-4 weeks for MicroSoft to try and "Fix it".

So the next day I go back and exchange it for another brand new one. And guess what? It worked this time! Feeling relieved and anxious to play, I pop in Soul Calibur 4 (fun game and I liked character creation). Next morning, I give Armored Core: 4A a try (huge fan since the PS1 games, tho Nexus and Last Raven were garbage IMO). I was relieved that (despite the totally new controls) it was much better then Nexus or Last Raven. However, by the time I got to the game's third mission, something strange was happening... My game would just freeze for a few seconds mid-gameplay. This was rather concerning so after the 3rd "freeze" I turned off my 360 and left it alone for a few hours.

When I came back and tried to turn it on tho... There were those same 3 flashing red lights reminding me why I should not have gotten a 360. I took it back (again) and this time I just said "give my $400 back and I'll be on my way, thank you".

TL;DR - The ridiculously HIGH rate of broken Xbox 360's is about as excusable as the way PSU gets managed. For being a "Next-Gen" (I guess you would call it current-gen right now) Console, these things break easier then toothpicks. No I will NOT accept "free repairs" that take 1-4 weeks when it should NOT happen in the first place.

/rant

Sorry you had to go through that man, I agree with what you said too 100%.

thunder-ray
Aug 3, 2009, 11:41 AM

/rantIf thats the case then I see no point in buying a 360 if im not going to get my moneys worth :(

Outrider
Aug 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
Not sure what you mean, but I will try to understand.
The components are the yellow, red, and white cords, right?
Some Xbox's don't have the HDMI thing, but you can buy an HDMI adapter thing.
You have to hook the components into that, and it gives you an HDMI part, which you plug in your TV.
Are you asking if that gives it 1080p?
Because that I don't know. I would assume that adapter gives it the full potential of HD.
I'll do some research.

Is this what you mean? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7461828&type=product&id=1126591945844) This thing says it's 1080i supported.

Well, that could be an outdated description, since that product has been on the market for a while.

There's no reason component shouldn't allow the Xbox to use 1080p unless it's being artificially gimped.

I guess I can check this out - one of my friends has the exact same TV as I do, but I think the quality is lower. He happens to be using component cables. Now, it's entirely possible he has the settings wrong, but I guess it's something I can check into.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

/rantTo be honest, I'd say if I got a broken something from some place, I'd return it and get my money back, then go somewhere else. I'm assuming you went to the same place THREE TIMES. If they've got a broken one, OUT OF THE BOX, it'd be safer not to go back to that particular store, for sure.

Some people get great Xboxes, others get shit for luck. :wacko:

I wonder if it's a certain model or just all across the board. I got an Xbox360 Pro, this year in March, and the only problem I had was loading with Oblivion, though I've long since figured out it's something with the disc and not the box.

Squirrel3D
Oct 19, 2009, 12:49 AM
Hey Nitro, I saw what you said earlier in the thread about people not taking care of their consoles.

I've always taken care of every console I've owned, and that includes wiping dust and other things off of them as often as possible.

I'm saying this because my 3rd Xbox 360 just messed up on me. I even made a thread about it telling people I won't be in PSU for a while again:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169908

I first bought the X360 at a Best Buy back in July 2006. Every one I have owned are all Pro models and I still have the old 20gig HDD that is still used.

You can have the best area for this system in your house, and it will STILL mess up on you. Microsoft is clearly in the wrong about how their system is designed. It's amazing that the X360 is still prefered over the PS3 and has a larger lineup of great games, and yet the hardware problems still exist. You would think they'd fix this already especally with the success they've have.

So until I get Xbox 360 console #4, I'll be playing my Wii and Blue Burst for a while.

Outrider
Oct 19, 2009, 10:41 AM
Wow, uh... necro-bump?

I'm pretty sure a thread that's over two months old is off-limits.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 19, 2009, 11:19 AM

/rant

You might as well get a PS3. That has Armored Core and Soul Calibur 4 too. If you don't mind missing Fable, that is.

My 360 has basically been a paperweight for the past 4 months. It's been working okay, but I honestly can't find these awesome games people keep talking about. I got bored of Mass Effect and Fable quickly, and Halo isn't very fun when your only option is Matchmaking.

Cracka_J
Oct 19, 2009, 11:27 AM
Wow, uh... necro-bump?

I'm pretty sure a thread that's over two months old is off-limits.

Scroll down in the first page of rants forum, nearly half the threads have a last post date of sometime in august/early september. Think slower forums may have different rules applied.

On topic, my 360 finally bailed on me early last month...had it for almost 2 years now AND it's an elite. Elites are slightly more finicky, at least in my situation. It didn't flat out red ring, but it started freezing/locking up (couldn't back out into dashboard either) about 5-10 seconds into any game. It never actually red ringed, but it's the same scenario, and was unplayable.

I've heard horror stories of M$ repairs, and the extreme wait times, so I just said fuck my warranty and brought it to a local guy that charges $80 for a full cooling system mod. The x-clamp to secure the board was used (think this is the only actual mod M$ does), and in addition to that he put in a new cooling system mod and maxed out the fan speeds. Thing sounds like a jet engine now but I've had no problems with it since and it's always cool to the touch, even after long sessions.

Probably the best $80 bucks I could have put back into my system :)

Squirrel3D
Oct 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
I've heard horror stories of M$ repairs, and the extreme wait times, so I just said fuck my warranty and brought it to a local guy that charges $80 for a full cooling system mod. The x-clamp to secure the board was used (think this is the only actual mod M$ does), and in addition to that he put in a new cooling system mod and maxed out the fan speeds. Thing sounds like a jet engine now but I've had no problems with it since and it's always cool to the touch, even after long sessions.

Probably the best $80 bucks I could have put back into my system :)

So let me get this straight...most of these problems occur because of heating? If that's the case, then maybe I should get one of those in my 4th Xbox 360. Isn't there also cooling add-ons and such that were made for the Xbox 360 as well?

BIG OLAF
Oct 19, 2009, 12:12 PM
Isn't there also cooling add-ons and such that were made for the Xbox 360 as well?

Yes, I have one. An Intercooler. However, it doesn't cut the RRoD out of the picture. It just makes it less likely to happen. One of my old Xboxs got the RRoD, even with the Intercooler system attached to it.

Neith
Oct 19, 2009, 12:23 PM
Yes, I have one. An Intercooler. However, it doesn't cut the RRoD out of the picture. It just makes it less likely to happen. One of my old Xboxs got the RRoD, even with the Intercooler system attached to it.

Some 360 intercoolers actually make things WORSE- some of them get so hot that they melt into the back of the 360 :lol: Nyko intercoolers were some of the worst, and actually killed more 360s than they helped >_>

As far as RRoD goes...I've had 360s for about 2 years now, and I'm on my 2nd one. The first died from a motherboard failure though, not actually a RRoD. 360s used to be very unreliable, but the newer ones are apparently a lot better.

On the contrary, I've had loads of problems with PS2s :wacko:

BIG OLAF
Oct 19, 2009, 12:31 PM
Nyko intercoolers were some of the worst, and actually killed more 360s than they helped >_>

Not sure what brand mine is, but it isn't Nyko *whew*. My first Xbox lasted for a very long time, actually. I got it on the release day of the console, and it outlasted all of my friend's originals. It was fine up until the beginning of this year. I've had shit luck all of 2009 regarding 360s.

Still waiting on my new*est* one to come in the mail. Should only be a week and 1/2 now..:(

Cracka_J
Oct 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
So let me get this straight...most of these problems occur because of heating? If that's the case, then maybe I should get one of those in my 4th Xbox 360. Isn't there also cooling add-ons and such that were made for the Xbox 360 as well?

the rrod/freeze problem is 100% due to heating.
basically the solder points from your video card/motherboard detach and the system can no longer communicate with the vid card. it's a problem persisting in ALL 360's, no matter how well you take care of your system or how few hours of gaming you play, it can happen to anyone.

in my case, it was a few of the connection points that had come undone, while others were still intact. the problem allowed the system to boot and load games, but constantly froze inside of them.

so the mod I had applied IS NOT an external cooling unit. I've read all the bad shit about those nyko units as well so I did not want to go the cheap route. the guy that does mine does 360 repairs as part of his business and on top of resoldering all the connection points, he installed a new internal cooling system and maxed out the fan speed, as well as clamping the boards in place.

he warned that the problem still could persist somewhere down the road even with all the new hardware applied, but since the initial mod was a success, like $10 would be my repair cost if it ever happened again. so I paid $80 out of pocket, yes, but my 360 was back in action the day after I had brought it to him, and it's been working awesome ever since.

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
Those connections used by whoever at Microsoft, are not that good. There are better secure ways to figurately *clamp* things together. The internet actually has information on how to nearly permanently fix the RROD issue. However, it works just for that. (Still, that's most often how any 360 would go up. The other cases are much more rare.)

It's also pretty fortunate that there are plenty of people, out there, who offer these perma fixes if you don't think you can do it yourself.

Squirrel3D
Oct 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
Those connections used by whoever at Microsoft, are not that good.

Well that's what happens when things get made in china. I'm very suprised that Microsoft hasn't been hit with some kind of lawsuit on this issue. I'm also very suprised that Microsoft hasn't taken the time to even fix the issue once and for all.

I guess they're too busy trying to get Windows 7 out the door.

amtalx
Oct 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
Well that's what happens when things get made in china. I'm very suprised that Microsoft hasn't been hit with some kind of lawsuit on this issue. I'm also very suprised that Microsoft hasn't taken the time to even fix the issue once and for all.

I guess they're too busy trying to get Windows 7 out the door.

Actually, a majority of their manufacturing comes from other countries (Mexico, Taiwan, and some other country I can't remember). They were hit with a class action lawsuit, and their response was to extend the warranty to 3 years to cover both RRoD and E74. We won't know if the problem has truly been fixed for a couple years. Supposedly the newest hardware revision addressed the problem pretty well, but there are still old hardware revs out there waiting to fail. Until all those are out of the loop, its tough to tell what the failure rate is unless people bother reporting their rev, which isn't going to happen.

-Crokar-
Oct 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
my brother bought the resident evil xbox it worked for a month before breaking. it started randomly deleting data then wouldnt read the harddrive being attached anymore

Akaimizu
Oct 19, 2009, 10:15 PM
That sounds like a different problem. A rare one, but a faulty hard-drive problem. I've witnessed something like that happen before, but on a PC.

Volcompat321
Oct 19, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've had that problem on a laptop.
My CD drive wouldn't work. In fact, it wouldn't even show up as being there.

My stuff got deleted every week, like it was on some, "FORMAT HARD DRIVE RAGE!" or something.

Though, I had my Xbox for about a year before selling it, I've seriously only played that thing maybe 4 hours a month.
Never had one problem with it. But I'm sure that's because I didn't play it much.

Delete
Oct 19, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm shocked to see this thread back :o

But since it is......I will say that my new 360 is doing fine just to let everyone know :)

thunder-ray
Oct 20, 2009, 03:52 AM
Im still thinking about buying a xbox, if its worth all the trouble I may get from it.

Delete
Oct 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
Im still thinking about buying a xbox, if its worth all the trouble I may get from it.

Even though I have had really bad experiences with Microsoft, I still think the 360 is the overall better system to get. You have great games and an awesome online experience that no one can compete with. Just make sure to get a newer 360 model as they actually seem to work.

Volcompat321
Oct 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
I don't want to start another war, but....
I've owned both systems. I still own my PS3.
I honestly think the PS3 is the better system, but it's only my opinion and preference, so please no one start a war.

The reasons I like PS3 over 360-
Internet browser, seems useless, but I use it if I don't have my laptop, or when I had no pc near.
No subscription fee for any type of "gold" membership.
Demos can be downloaded for FREE, (without having a gold membership)
Wireless controller comes with the system (insignificant, but nice)
Bluetooth.
The card reader slots (on some PS3 systems, I happen to have one)
Metal Gear Solid 4. (lol)
Blu ray. Nuff said about that.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of liking on the 360 is exclusive games.
Even then, I hated Halo, but loved L4D.
I'm not even sure I played any other 360 exclusives.

ashley50
Oct 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Red Rings will be 360s shadow forever i guess. It's like Death waiting to strike at ya...

I don't want to start another war, but....
I've owned both systems. I still own my PS3.
I honestly think the PS3 is the better system, but it's only my opinion and preference, so please no one start a war.

The reasons I like PS3 over 360-
No subscription fee for any type of "gold" membership. I agree :)
Wireless controller comes with the system (insignificant, but nice)
Bluetooth.
The card reader slots (on some PS3 systems, I happen to have one)
Metal Gear Solid 4. (lol)
Blu ray. Nuff said about that.

Yeah I agree on those Highlighted Ones...also we can access JP PSN by simply making a JP account and get demos, and stuff from JP side.

Also We Can go Buy Imports without needing to buy a Console or buying some "extra" add-on to play Imports :)

watashiwa
Oct 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm not even sure I played any other 360 exclusives.

You're forgetting about the superior online experience of the 360 as a whole, by the way. Granted it's not free like the PS3, but you can pretty much take a look at the 360's dashboard and it's features, then look at the PS3's dashboard and features, and you see the PS3 doesn't really have much... besides the web browser. *shrug*

Volcompat321
Oct 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
I owned my 360 with my 12 month gold subscription (yea, I didn't like it, but I had it) for just about that whole year.

I've already had more to do on the PS3.
Maybe it has more options, but...what are options if you don't like, or use em?
Though I'll be honest, (as I've said in other threads) I only turned my Xbox on about 4 hours a month.
So, I didn't get much out of it.
My PS3 is almost non stop on (with the exception of the last few days...been away from home).

EDIT: Oh, I thought of another exclusive I loved! Forza2 Motorsports.
Though the PS has Gran Turismo, played both, basically the same.

Cracka_J
Oct 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
I own both as well, and like them each for different reasons.

I will say that people shouldn't be turned off of 360 for it's hardware reasons. It's something you just have to consider when buying a 360 that IT VERY LIKELY WILL HAPPEN TO YOU, and to search out some local techs that could possibly mod/repair if for you if the situation comes up. Either that or be prepared to send it back to M$.

360 offers a lot of really nice titles, and if you play on a 1080p TV, the majority of them WILL look better on 360 because M$ pays a kickback to most major manufacturers to upconvert standard 720p games to 1080p. It's why you'll see some multiplatform games only support 1080p on 360, and not PS3. Also the reason why I buy any multi-platform game on 360, aside from games that friends will want to play on both systems (fighters).

The network code for live is also far superior for games that require timed inputs (fighters), and the lag is VERY noticable going from PSN to live. You get every dime you pay for with live also, it's hands down the best gaming service out there.

So don't be turned off of the hardware issues, just take them into account when you purchase the system. 360 & PS3 are both solid for games, just PS3 is a bit more reliable piece of hardware.

Volcompat321
Oct 20, 2009, 11:10 AM
I was never turned down by the hardware, I've never even had one problem with my 360 when I had it.
The things I listed is what gets me.
Also, the whole 1080 thing...
I don't have any multi platform games other than Assassins Creed(Thanks Zeek :D) and it supports 1080.
I do play on a (nice) HDTV, and pretty much everything looks/ed awesome on both the PS3 and 360.
All other games I have for the Ps3, are 1080.
I haven't noticed the lag you mean on fighters, because the only fighter game I have I downloaded off the PSN, and it's Marvel vs. Capcom2, and there was none. :o
Maybe I just didn't notice it though.
And every other game I play online, seems to respond very quickly.
Lately I've been playing MGO, and it's lots of fun.

Cracka_J
Oct 20, 2009, 11:24 AM
There's lag in any online game you play, just a matter of how well the game and netcode/network can hide it.

And yeah certain manufacturers will just put out 1080 games regardless of system, but some only go up to 720. You'll be surprised next time you go down the game isle, pull a multisystem for ps3 that only exports 720, then see the same game on 360 with a 1080p icon on the box. Granted, it IS only upscaling and not true 1080p, but in my experience it does make a big visual difference on the majority of games I've played.

amtalx
Oct 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
I used to prefer the PS3 for fighters simply because the D-pad on the 360 is a f*cking tragedy. However, I'm getting the fight stick with Tekken 6, so pretty much all fighters will be going on my 360 from then on. I really only get games for my PS3 when I HAVE to (exclusives).

The biggest difference between the PS3 and 360 for me is the feeling I get when I turn it on. When I turn on my 360, its like an e-hug. My friends list populates, new content is brought to the front, and sometimes there's even a video with that babe from IGN. When I turn on my PS3...tumbleweeds. I'm greeted with a sterile OS and have to go digging through PSN's equally boring interface to find news and recently uploaded content, which is only updated once a week.

Don't even get me started on what I feel when I turn on my Wii, mostly because I can't remember. The last time I turned it on was for Mario Galaxy...over a year ago.

Outrider
Oct 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oddly enough, I think the PS3 has the best reputation out of the entire Playstation family as far as hardware reliability is concerned. I'm going to assume that the new mini-PS3 is also a good piece of hardware, as I haven't heard of any problems.

As for the 360 vs PS3 discussion - Comparing the PS3's online experience to the 360's is like comparing AIM to Firefox. Yeah, they both connect to the internet and you can use them to communicate with people, but they're not really the same thing.

M$ pays a kickback to most major manufacturers to upconvert standard 720p games to 1080p..

What is this I don't even

Volcompat321
Oct 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
One of my good friends got a small PS3 when they came out.
That thing has literally been on everyday ALL DAY since he's had it.
It doesn't really get hot either. (obviously it does, but I mean, not super hot since it's on all the time).

I see your point on the aim-firefox reference.
To be fair the 360 has had more time to adjust their user friendly network.
Give the PS3 some more time. It might surprise you..maybe.

amtalx
Oct 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
The 360 dashboard still desperately needs threaded messaging. I really hope that's in the Spring update. I don't see PSN catching up to Live any time soon though. They are still years behind. Communication and game invitations border on barbaric compared to XBL. I think this is due in large part to MS commitment to online gaming with the original Xbox, back when everyone thought it was silly and too early. Even now, MS certainly isn't making easy on anyone to compete with XBL because they can throw duffel bags of cash at Netflix, Facebook, whoever to get services integrated in to XBL.

Outrider
Oct 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony close the gap considerably with the next hardware generation (whenever that ends up happening.) It's hard to imagine them doing that with the current setup they have, though. The 360 experience was built around this online infrastructure while Sony is still building a lot of it out.

Cracka_J
Oct 20, 2009, 02:02 PM
What is this I don't even

M$ basically throws more bags of money at the developers so they can make use of 360's 1080p upscale feature, and slap 1080p on the box. The games do look visually different though, I have both SF4 and Blazblue on 360/PS3 and both are visually crisper/smoother on 360. It's much nicer visually, even if it isn't true 1080p.

watashiwa
Oct 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
You might be right, Cracka. However, I'm pretty sure that the 720p games just get upscaled with the XBox360's internal scaling engine to 1080p without any extra payments to each developer. >_> It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to pay each developer just to use a feature built into their system which requires no extra coding for... (What I'm saying is developers don't add any extra code to take advantage of the 1080p upscaling in the 360, it just happens... automatically, when it encounters a 720p game on a 1080p. After the frame is rendered, it's upscaled, then displayed.)

Outrider
Oct 20, 2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah, what watashiwa said.

If anything, one of the major reasons the games run in a higher resolution on the Xbox than the PS3 is that many multiplatform games are created with the 360 as their lead platform. The games end up looking better because they're being developed with that system in mind.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
Actually, demos can be downloaded on a Silver account, you just can't download demos released in a past week. So if they have a new demo up for a new game, you have to wait a week.

Wireless controller comes with the system (insignificant, but nice)Um, wireless controllers always came with the Xbox360. I'm pretty sure they did anyway.

Bluetooth.Ugh. I really wish I could list factual reasons why I hate this, but from my experience(which is very little >_>) it's just a hassle more than it is of a convenience.

The card reader slots (on some PS3 systems, I happen to have one)That's actually kinda neat. I wouldn't mind having a feature like that on my Xblox.

Metal Gear Solid 4. (lol)You could have just bought some movies you know. :wacko:

Blu ray. Nuff said about that.Blu Ray and HD DVD's have very minor, if not unnoticeable differences, unless you're actually looking for them. Also, widescreen annoys me. <_> I get that human eyes have more vision horizontally than vertically, but everything looks stretched.

I'm not even sure I played any other 360 exclusives.L4D wasn't an exclusive. :P

Squirrel3D
Oct 20, 2009, 09:04 PM
1) Internet browser, seems useless, but I use it if I don't have my laptop, or when I had no pc near.

2) No subscription fee for any type of "gold" membership.

3) Demos can be downloaded for FREE, (without having a gold membership)

4) Wireless controller comes with the system (insignificant, but nice)

5) Bluetooth.

6) The card reader slots (on some PS3 systems, I happen to have one)

7) Metal Gear Solid 4. (lol)

8 ) Blu ray. Nuff said about that.

1) But does it support all the features of a typical internet browser on the PS3?

2) That's gonna catch up to them in a cuple of years. Do you know more than 3 people on PSN? And what is the most played online game on the PS3?

3) Fair enough. I'll give it that.

4) Same with the Xbox 360.

5) Overrated.

6) I have them on my computer, so what's the big deal?

7) One of my least interested game series...Metal Gear.

8 ) Um there's alot to be said. Sony...and they know it, you know it, the damn industry knows it..used the PS3 at the very beginning as a trojain horse for an overrated property format. I hope you know that not everyone who has a PS3 has a HDTV right? If Sony pushed blu-ray as a game development format more than as a movie format...I think PS3 would be #1 right now. Why you think so many 3rd party games get ported there after their X360 release? Because alot of developers have a hard time programming the system.

Now I will own a PS3 eventually....but I just need more convincing in terms of games...games...and nothing but games to get me jumping on board.

Volcompat321
Oct 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
Oh yea, L4D was on PC...:wacko: oops.

As for the card readers Squirrel, I use them a lot.
It's easier(and much much faster) to transfer movies to a PS3 on the card reader rather a USB cable and a PSP(or other USB storage devices).

The thing with Bluetooth is, it's simple on the PS3.
I do admit, and can be a pain to set it up, but it's great in the end.

As for the wireless controller, I didn't get one with my 360, I had to buy (well, didn't have to..but did because I wanted the wireless).
I didn't get the arcade version of the 360, it had the silver door thing. :o

Nitro Vordex
Oct 20, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hmm. They might have originally shipped with wired controllers.

Yeah, I got the chrome plated(colored) disc drive too(Pro). All of them ship with wireless controllers, I think.

Volcompat321
Oct 21, 2009, 01:28 AM
Well shit, where the hell was mine :(
I bought is brand new from, ...Best Buy.. I think.

amtalx
Oct 21, 2009, 01:52 AM
FYI, "exclusivity" only applies to consoles, not PC. Its a licensing thing.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 21, 2009, 04:12 AM
FYI, "exclusivity" only applies to consoles, not PC. Its a licensing thing.

Yeah, chances are, if it's on the 360, it's on PC. L4D, Fallout, Street Fighter, Mass Effect, Halo, ect ect.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Well shit, where the hell was mine :(
I bought is brand new from, ...Best Buy.. I think.
Yeah, that's where I got mine.

Though, I did get it in April of 2009(this year). When did you buy yours?

Outrider
Oct 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think the only 360 that came with a wired controller was the Core unit, the precursor to the Arcade unit.

So you either bought a core unit and didn't realize it or you got duped by Best Buy and bought a used system.

While I do love the features that Xbox Live provides for me, I can understand why somebody wouldn't be terribly interested in them. It's really the kind of thing I didn't think I'd care for until I actually got around to trying them out. (FYI - Streaming Netflix is great.)

But if we're discussing games - a significant chunk of both systems' libraries are multiplatform games, so we basically just have exclusives to compare. Now, I knew I wanted to buy an HD system and I also don't have a gaming PC. For somebody in my position, an Xbox 360 was great because not only would it allow me to get the regular Xbox 360 exclusives (Halo and such), but it also allows me to get a large number of PC games I normally wouldn't be able to play on my crappy computer. Being able to play games like Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead has been great - I didn't need to drop another $600 on a PC just to play a couple of games.

Volcompat321
Oct 23, 2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah, that's where I got mine.

Though, I did get it in April of 2009(this year). When did you buy yours?

December 08. (Right after Christmas...like...2 days after)

I think the only 360 that came with a wired controller was the Core unit, the precursor to the Arcade unit.

So you either bought a core unit and didn't realize it or you got duped by Best Buy and bought a used system.

I'm pretty sure I got the right one.
It's the one with the silver CD door, and it can play xbox 1 games.
The arcade cannot play Arcade, and does not come with the HDMI port.
You have to use the HD component cables.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
All the ones not Arcade have a silver door, so that doesn't really help much. :wacko:

Volcompat321
Oct 23, 2009, 11:21 PM
Yea, that too.
Not sure why then.
Everything was brand new, and I doubt Best Buy would have to take a controller out of an Xbox box to satisfy their need to rip people off.
Maybe.

Squirrel3D
Oct 24, 2009, 10:51 AM
I just got the system back...just 3 days after sending it off. I guess they gave me a 'jasper' unit this time!

thunder-ray
Oct 24, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ok ive made up my mind im going to take a chance and go buy a 360. Hopfully it wont break on me 3 months later :ak:

Nitro Vordex
Oct 24, 2009, 01:07 PM
Take care of it and it won't!

A little tip: Try to keep it in a room with good circulation, or, have a small fan on it. It'll help keep it cool without spending any extra money.

Outrider
Oct 24, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I got the right one.
It's the one with the silver CD door, and it can play xbox 1 games.
The arcade cannot play Arcade, and does not come with the HDMI port.
You have to use the HD component cables.

I'm pretty sure the arcade/core unit could play Arcade games, but you needed a memory card.

All I'm saying is that I'm looking around online and I can't find any reference to any current or previous Xbox 360 SKU that came with a wired controller except for the Core.

You might have gotten screwed - it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of Best Buy giving a consumer the wrong or modified item.

Ok ive made up my mind im going to take a chance and go buy a 360. Hopfully it wont break on me 3 months later :ak:

Just give it plenty of ice cream.

360s love ice cream. It's what keeps them from overheating.

Mine prefers rocky road.

Delete
Oct 25, 2009, 09:00 PM
I just got the system back...just 3 days after sending it off. I guess they gave me a 'jasper' unit this time!

Wtf, that's gotta be a record. Mines took a week at the shortest and a month at the longest. : <

thunder-ray
Oct 25, 2009, 11:44 PM
Take care of it and it won't!

A little tip: Try to keep it in a room with good circulation, or, have a small fan on it. It'll help keep it cool without spending any extra money.Thank you for the advice :)

Volcompat321
Oct 26, 2009, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the arcade/core unit could play Arcade games, but you needed a memory card.
All I'm saying is that I'm looking around online and I can't find any reference to any current or previous Xbox 360 SKU that came with a wired controller except for the Core.
You might have gotten screwed - it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of Best Buy giving a consumer the wrong or modified item.
Just give it plenty of ice cream.
360s love ice cream. It's what keeps them from overheating.
Mine prefers rocky road.

Well that sucks.
Everything was closed, and it didn't seem to be opened. :/
Oh well, it's gone now. lol

Rasputin
Oct 27, 2009, 12:39 AM
That angry carpet has a thing for rings.

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
Guess what I got today? Well it's kinda obvious since I'm doing a huge bump like this but I didn't wanna start another thread. I believe I am at 9 broken 360's now including my bros ( his RROD'd only once but I bought it so it still counts).

So I was debating on rather or not to buy a rocket launcher or a flamethrower to ummmm...handle some business.

Vanzazikon
Jun 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
do eet, it's healthy for self-esteem.

str898mustang
Jun 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
stop buying 360's then

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
stop buying 360's then

It' s not that simple dood.

I am a gamer, rather you like it or I like it.....it's what I am (may sound really nerdy). I have made some really good friends that I try and talk to as much as possible. Mind you I do have a job and life, although not a girl anymore....but that's another story :o

I keep getting them because there is no other system that I really care to get. Sure Sony's PS3 is great, but it's just not for me. And I don't know enough about computers to upgrade it enough to play games like Crysis without it running slower than a snail carrying weights. If I did, I'd probably be one of the many WOW addicts >_>

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 07:52 PM
Go buy a new 360 model. Let's hope those don't RROD...

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am actually looking into doing that :wacko:

I still have the 20GB drive, so I could definitely use the 250GB model and for $299, it's not that bad. But, I'ma wait and make sure they don't have there own problems too ;)

But what's this about it not being HD?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 14, 2010, 08:35 PM
Okay, if you've been through 9 360's, I think YOU'RE doing something wrong.

Where are you buying them from?

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 09:07 PM

I'm not doing anything wrong, I barely have the time to play it. And like Vol said a while back, it doesn't matter where you get a 360 from, it's all coming from the same place. I've mostly sent my system in to be repaired but I have bought 2 from Gamestop and 1 from Best Buy altogether.

amtalx
Jun 14, 2010, 09:23 PM
I am actually looking into doing that :wacko:

I still have the 20GB drive, so I could definitely use the 250GB model and for $299, it's not that bad. But, I'ma wait and make sure they don't have there own problems too ;)

But what's this about it not being HD?

I'd wait for Gamestop to do a trade-in deal. A couple weeks ago they had a trade-in deal to get a black Wii for $50 if you traded an old white one and a Wiimote/Nunchuk.

Not being HD? Sounds like some slack jaw trying to start a rumor.

Outrider
Jun 14, 2010, 09:27 PM

Yeah, I'm with Nitro on this. This goes above and beyond the traditional RROD behavior.

Are you leaving your Xbox on 24/7 in a sauna or something?

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I'm with Nitro on this. This goes above and beyond the traditional RROD behavior.

Are you leaving your Xbox on 24/7 in a sauna or something?

Nope. Not all my 360's RROD'd mind you ;)

I had at least 4 or so with other problems like disk tray not opening or it freezing up constantly. I play like 3 hrs when I get the time and some saturdays, I may abuse it to 6 or 7 but even that shouldn't hurt my system. It's in a open area so it can't not be getting air. So what could I be doing wrong, not playing it enough perhaps?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 14, 2010, 09:58 PM
Not being HD? Sounds like some slack jaw trying to start a rumor.
3D confusion!
(Is 3D HD? 3HD3? HDD how many Gee Bee's? Is Microsoft even doing 3D? How do I "Kinect" to the HDMI for the HDTV for the HD?!)

Surely there's a first look gallery up somewhere and a quick look at the back: HDMI output standard. No more of that giant jumper cable with the HDTV<->TV slider switch.

joefro
Jun 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4700188445_4faa8bee43_b.jpg

Yup, it can haz HD.

like it wouldn't have/who starts these rumors

Delete
Jun 14, 2010, 10:17 PM
Making me look all sidewayz an stuff :wacko:

Thanks for clarifying that though, I'm not sure where I read that rumor but it was pretty dumb.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 14, 2010, 10:58 PM
Making me look all sidewayz an stuff :wacko:

Thanks for clarifying that though, I'm not sure where I read that rumor but it was pretty dumb.
Nobody is getting it right!

Here you're going upside down: (or just save image and rotate to your peripheral standards, zoom up,etc)

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2010/06/xbox_7a.jpg

But no squinting to read HDMI, thinking what's the AUX for, finding out that other one is their Kinect port.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 15, 2010, 01:57 AM
I'm not doing anything wrong, I barely have the time to play it. And like Vol said a while back, it doesn't matter where you get a 360 from, it's all coming from the same place. I've mostly sent my system in to be repaired but I have bought 2 from Gamestop and 1 from Best Buy altogether.

Well, Vol doesn't use a 360, so he has no say in this. :wacko:

I play mine all the time, and I've had it a year now. No problems. If you had hardly any time to play it, it obviously can't be due to stress or overuse of the system. Only thing I can think of is that someone was dickin' around with it when you weren't home.

Or you just live in a really shitty area with shitty stores.

Delete
Jun 15, 2010, 10:03 AM
I live alone at the moment :wacko:

And I do live in a shitty area but not when it comes to game stores and such. I've never had any problems with any other system and few with games.

My problem was mostly with Microsoft so called "Fixing my System" each time when they actually weren't doing anything but sending me the same one back. Sure it worked a little, but it always ended with more problems down the road.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 15, 2010, 05:39 PM
So you've bought 9 Xbox's. I don't know, I think you're just being trolled now. Or trollin'.

It's hard to believe that your luck is really that shitty.

Delete
Jun 15, 2010, 05:51 PM
So you've bought 9 Xbox's. I don't know, I think you're just being trolled now. Or trollin'.

It's hard to believe that your luck is really that shitty.

No, I didn't buy 9....I'm not dumb enough to do that ;) As I quote my previous post.......

I've mostly sent my system in to be repaired but I have bought 2 from Gamestop and 1 from Best Buy altogether.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
So you haven't been through nine Xbox's. Liar.

Gamestop was your mistake. Don't know about Best Buy, that's where I got mine. Still works too.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
My problem was mostly with Microsoft so called "Fixing my System" each time when they actually weren't doing anything but sending me the same one back. Sure it worked a little, but it always ended with more problems down the road.
Think they send you back another refurbished unit. A "Bished" unit if you will, so you know its prob gonna crap out soon enough.

So yes Nitro, 9 BLOXES.

All your gloating about the BLOX of dreams, might come back to 'splode in your face.

I thought mine was invincible when reading all the 3/4 Red Light "Ring" stuff everywherem even on PSOW. Put it through some Dead Rising 24 hour plus stuff, with attempts at extra cooling window airflow when knowing its a bad idea.

And eventually it crapped out too when doing some simple stuff with Lumines/Bomberman, forgot what exactly was going on to freeze it completely, with old school pixel grey/neon green checkerboards on screen.

Outrider
Jun 15, 2010, 08:56 PM
Regardless, nine boxes in less than years? I'm not buying it. Delete - stop screwing up.

Resolution: Issue is due to user error. Closing this ticket.

Delete
Jun 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
So you haven't been through nine Xbox's. Liar.

Gamestop was your mistake. Don't know about Best Buy, that's where I got mine. Still works too.

Nope, it was 9 because the numbers were different on the back of my 360 each time. And It doesn't have anything to do with Gamestop unless I got a used one which I didn't.

Regardless, nine boxes in less than years? I'm not buying it. Delete - stop screwing up.

I know your probably just bugging me with the "Stop screwing up,"so that's fine :wacko:

Some of you guys are acting like 9 is just insane and while it kinda is, you need to Google some other RROD stories that make mine seem like a joke.

All your gloating about the BLOX of dreams, might come back to 'splode in your face.

:D Honestly, it's only a matter of time. Everyone I know (my important friends anyway) have had at least 1 RROD. That's 35 online friends and 7 RL friends. Mind you I don't have only 7 RL friends, just 7 who actually are into games.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
Actually, I hadn't thought of this: You showed us your collection of Xbox games a while back. With some of those stinkers you had, I wouldn't be surprised if your systems have been killing themselves to avoid more torment.

Delete
Jun 16, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have 76 xbox 360 games....and none of them suck ;)

Cameras acting up, but I don't mine typing them all if your curious to know what they are.

EDIT: Actually it's 79 games :D

Outrider
Jun 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have 76 xbox 360 games....and none of them suck ;)

Here's an older pic about 3 months ago I found. I posted on the forums a while back

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_f3e744e744f14661bd6432fc837f5b82.jpg

Well, it's a little rough to make out with such a low quality picture, but I already see Army of Two, so I think that pretty much proves my point.

The Last Baron
Jun 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
79 games huh? Well, it's obvious that your systems have known that you have money to throw around. Microsoft build this function into all their products. It's a well known fact that if you can afford to fix the problem, the problem will occur.

Delete
Jun 17, 2010, 07:41 AM
Well, it's a little rough to make out with such a low quality picture, but I already see Army of Two, so I think that pretty much proves my point.

I was using my 360 camera, so the quality was pretty bad. But Army of two wasn't all that bad. If you had a friend to play with, it was an averagely fun game.

79 games huh? Well, it's obvious that your systems have known that you have money to throw around. Microsoft build this function into all their products. It's a well known fact that if you can afford to fix the problem, the problem will occur.

I wouldn't call it "throwing money around." It's True that since I have a decent job and am making decent money that I will buy a game here or there, but a lot of games were given to me as Christmas presents or Bday presents. But nowadays, if I see something I want.....I just go and buy it because I can :D Only good feeling you get out of having a job :(

On topic..kinda.....There fixing my box for free because they listened to my story and felt bad :o

I didn't have no warranty or anything. So maybe that's why I'm not super peed right now.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 17, 2010, 02:16 PM
Refurbished bloxes you can't rely on. FACT.

But, if you're talking about how many you bought, which is three brand new, that makes more sense to me. Microsoft was probably just sending you someone else's blox that they had fixed.

To be honest, I'm not THAT nice to my blox. I've carried it across cities in a travel bag, in 100+ degree weather, rather roughly. Maybe my box just has bawls. :wacko:

Outrider
Jun 17, 2010, 02:51 PM
If you had a friend to play with, it was an averagely fun game.

Now that's an endorsement I can get behind!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 18, 2010, 12:04 AM
To be honest, I'm not THAT nice to my blox. I've carried it across cities in a travel bag, in 100+ degree weather, rather roughly. Maybe my box just has bawls. :wacko:
Let me borrow your Blox for Dead Rising 2, please.

Its even based in the Las Vegas desert - now deserted towns.

Oh, I guess I can't use yours. Its hopped up on caffeine in lumpy, trolly club looking, blue bottles.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 18, 2010, 12:20 AM
:D Well, this is my 9th one(altogether) and now it is finally working smoothly.
I still hate Microsoft for all this crap though.

just wait, mac will soon get on board the console boat as well in the future.

Hell, Microsoft did it.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 18, 2010, 12:26 AM

Hell, Microsoft did it.
Do we even want a console that will cost 75% more for lesser to equal parts than the competition?

Where snobs put up dating sites where PC's aren't allowed like its an STD or something?

(Not to mention iTunes invasion slowdown proprietary mandatory softwares)

Delete
Jun 18, 2010, 07:07 AM
Refurbished bloxes you can't rely on. FACT.

But, if you're talking about how many you bought, which is three brand new, that makes more sense to me. Microsoft was probably just sending you someone else's blox that they had fixed.

To be honest, I'm not THAT nice to my blox. I've carried it across cities in a travel bag, in 100+ degree weather, rather roughly.

First statement is soooo true.

Maybe my box just has bawls. :wacko:

I'd rather mine not have "Guy Parts." :D

Hell, Microsoft did it.

Damn, I didn't realize that one was my 9th.....so this means i'll actually be on my 10th ;)

As much as I hate Microsoft, I'll probably still support them because I don't care much for Sony ( PS2 was freakin awesome though) and the Wii is just not for me. Even if Mac did anything, they would have a lot of catching up to do. But who knows, maybe they'd pull something out there ass.

Wtf, is they'd even a real word? Friggn Tired lol