PDA

View Full Version : About PSO and PSU.....

Reksanden
Jul 20, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've always played PSO, but is PSU any similar? Is it worth getting?

Ithildin
Jul 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hey, nice to hear you asking. I think you will get a lot of long-winded replies here on that subject. PSO and PSU obviously have similarities, however, they are different games. I love them both. In my opinion you should try out PSU. I love it and I loved PSO too. They are both interesting and fun games to play.

Reksanden
Jul 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hey, nice to hear you asking. I think you will get a lot of long-winded replies here on that subject. PSO and PSU obviously have similarities, however, they are different games. I love them both. In my opinion you should try out PSU. I love it and I loved PSO too. They are both interesting and fun games to play.

I'll do that.

SStrikerR
Jul 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
You're likely going to get a lot of biased and long posts about this, like Ithildin said. I recommend just buying the game and trying out offline mode. If you like it, get onlinebecause there's a ton of misisons, weapons, armors, etc for you to obtain.

Note: Characters used offline cannot be used online, as online chars are saved server-side.

Freeze
Jul 20, 2009, 05:25 PM
If you just try the offline mode don't judge the game entirely on your expirience there it will give you a taste of the game but online does change a little bit, for the better I'd say. I wasn't too crazy when I played story mode but I enjoy online quite a bit. Playing online will really let you know if your going to enjoy the playing the game.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jul 20, 2009, 05:27 PM
If you play on Xbox 360, there's a demo you can download that has the same content as when PSU came out three years ago. It's online-only demo.

RemiusTA
Jul 20, 2009, 07:05 PM
They're about as much alike as each entry of the Final Fantasy series. If PSO was Final Fantasy 7, PSU would be FF8. The gameplay concepts are the same, but the innerworkings of the gameplay are very much different. So if you've played one, you'll pick up on the other alot quicker.

For example? Megid is still Megid, Foie is still foie, Barta is still Barta. Zonde is still lightning, but thanks to the new classification of technics, it does not function the same way as PSO's Zonde spell, which would be named Razonde in PSU.

Same but different. No other way to describe it lol.

Reksanden
Jul 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
yeah, i get what your saying. It's similar enough, but different. I've actually seen my friends play it a few times, and most of the functions are different, they're familiar. But anyway, i'm already trying to get other games like the new kimgdom hearts, mario strikers(wii), and later the newest version of super mario bros. As you can see, i'm a big Nintendo game player, which led me to play the GC PSO. I'll probably get PSU and BB at the same time(around Christmas) so it will be a while.

Talwin
Jul 21, 2009, 08:47 AM
yeah, i get what your saying. It's similar enough, but different. I've actually seen my friends play it a few times, and most of the functions are different, they're familiar. But anyway, i'm already trying to get other games like the new kimgdom hearts, mario strikers(wii), and later the newest version of super mario bros. As you can see, i'm a big Nintendo game player, which led me to play the GC PSO. I'll probably get PSU and BB at the same time(around Christmas) so it will be a while.

Glad to see your post mate, I'm in much the same boat as you. Big PSO fan, also on GC and big Nintendo fan. Looking at getting my GC online at the moment but also wondering how much use I'll get out of the online mode with the lack of players about nowadays.

So I'm thinking of jumping on the PSU wagon, I owned the game for a short while before taking it back for a refund (I never got that far) but wanting to give it a second chance. If I pick the game up I'll drop you a PM and let you know what I think of it from one like minded chap to another.

Reksanden
Jul 21, 2009, 11:07 AM
i was trying to look up BB and saw something about a free private server(GC). i'll find it again.

Google exactly this" PSO BB" and it should be the first option.

ShadowsofMetal12
Jul 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
Dont speak the name!!! its forbiden kinda like saying "Voldamort" lmao

yes its free but getting started is crazy difficult inless you really know what your doing unlike me
Im stuck on finding/ a gamecube broardband adapter

sorry to anyone who gets mad reading this lol

if you could post a really dumbed down explanation for getting online GC

Reksanden
Jul 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
you can find a GC broadband adapter at Amazon. And i'll edit that post......

Gibdozer
Jul 21, 2009, 01:03 PM
PSO is the framework for PSU I put a lot of time into them both, if you loved PSO you would be cheating yourself not to at least try PSU online.

Forget about playing offline to see if you like the game jump right into online, or download the demo. Offline really sucks, I didn't play through offline story until I had been online for a couple of months, and I owned the game for six months before I got online with it.

RemiusTA
Jul 21, 2009, 10:46 PM
Dont speak the name!!! its forbiden kinda like saying "Voldamort" lmao

Voldermort*

Legendria
Jul 21, 2009, 10:50 PM
scht? lol

Banning a name on the internet ? What is this, Communist China?

pinkace
Jul 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
Focusing only on the addictive elements of both games:

PSO owns your soul in two ways: level up and find rares.

PSU owns your soul in many ways: level up, find rares, level up your PA's, your class, find/buy the items you need to make that one great weapon, grind that weapon, etc.

Both are very addictive but sometimes I think that with PSU Sega spread out the drug too thin so not one of these pursuits individually amounts to the powerful, terrifying draw to level up on PSO. But combined, they wield a power too great to imagine!

RemiusTA
Jul 22, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thats the main issue between the two.

PSU's main addicting drug is too weak because Sega likes to believe stretching it out will make their game better somehow, wheres PSO's is there from the start.

Only problem is, instead of us going crazy from addiction...we just quit until they give us more, burn it up like tissue paper, and sink back into our low until the next fix.

Thats what PSU feels like for most of the vets. The game has PLENTY of missions, the issue is ST failed to put any real structure to their rewards, so only a few ones are worth wasting your time with. All the other FUN missions either give too little EXP/MP for their time, or drop nothing worth running for.

PSO was able to make you search for weapons in condensed areas, sometimes making you have to get all the way to the final sections of the stage to fight the only 1 enemy that can ever drop it...but at least you had fun on the way there, with the ability to have alot of other goodies drop. PSU's missions just divide everything up way too much, which results in the community only playing the one with the best cut.

pinkace
Jul 22, 2009, 02:00 PM
Remius, I feel PSU is just as fun as PSO. I think that the 'stretching' you refer to is helpful, because even at its peak, I would get burnt out on PSO; after binging a whole weekend for 36 hours, I would get physically ill just hearing the 'pang' sound effect when starting a game, and would not play for a day or two, or three.

PSU on the other hand let's you binge on different things so it doesn't get dizzying.

Ranmo
Jul 22, 2009, 02:19 PM
The problem with PSU is that there is no balance with missions. If a lot of missions (new and old) had better drops and payout. I am sure many more people would play or return to the game. Its just that it seems that for the most part missions are either fun but you gain nothing (exp, meseta, MPs, drops) or the mission is fun and is a gold mine. Which then everyone only plays that one mission and then the mission gets kind of dull over time...No matter what though both games are probably equally addicting.