PDA

View Full Version : Will Sega make a good Phantasy Star after PSU?

deso123
Jul 30, 2009, 07:13 AM
i severely have my doubts as almost all new games copy each other and dont even try. it seems that most people will either ignore it or play with a plastered grin on their face no matter how bad it is.

darkante
Jul 30, 2009, 07:31 AM
From what i see, it seems like ST intentionally try to destroy the Phantasy Star serie.

Calsetes
Jul 30, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm HOPING they make an awesome solid stand-alone, no online gameplay added, no strange awkward action-based battle system main storyline sequel and call it Phantasy Star 5. Seriously, just give me a party of 4 or 5 guys, turn-based combat, maybe some of those combo attack/tech/skills from PS4, and some friggin' vehicles to cruise around multiple planets in. Oh, and anime cutscenes - CG looks cool and all, but classic PS needs animation in my opinion to really stand out and apart from the online ones.

Then again, the odds of this happening are somewhere between "snowball's chance in hell" and "ending every online debate about pirates and ninjas." So sometime in 4260 AD.

DAMASCUS
Jul 30, 2009, 10:01 AM
My dream is that they will make the next online game with some of the best aspects of PSU and the upcoming PSzero with more references to PSO with the option of having a 'console' in your room and the ability to collect side games with hidden prizes to use in the main game. That way you could sit in your room and possibly play Phantasy Star 1 and more..

but yeah, this won't be the last Online Phantasy Star..it's just a question of when they will make the commitment to design a next generation game...if they aren't already ;)

DuRaL
Jul 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
when i look at all those H outfits for female chars, like 3 dfferent swimwears, the voloyal set or the upcoming bath towel, considering the fact that the next PSO-game will definatelly not come out on a almost 10 year old PS2, but for a powerful machine (360/PS3/PC) with excellent graphics.. well, i have good hopes the game will be good even if the gameplay sucks ;)

JAFO22000
Jul 30, 2009, 10:51 AM
when i look at all those H outfits for female chars, like 3 dfferent swimwears, the voloyal set or the upcoming bath towel, considering the fact that the next PSO-game will definatelly not come out on a almost 10 year old PS2, but for a powerful machine (360/PS3/PC) with excellent graphics.. well, i have good hopes the game will be good even if the gameplay sucks ;)

The SMART move would be to start developing the game for the NEXT generation of hardware, not the current generation.

Also, Sega should take note of the amount of people STILL playing on the 360 in the US (despite all of their screwups!). The smart move for them would be to make the next iteration of PSO Console Only. A simplified, casual Online RPG like this really can't compete in the PC market as there are PLENTY of other and more "hardcore" MMORPGS for the PC. Making it console only would allow them to engineer the game to fit just for the next Sony and MS consoles and not have to worry about fitting it in for the PC AND it would be really the only game of it's kind on the console system so there would be little to no competition, as opposed to the PC where it's a really small fish in a very big pond.

Reddragonx
Jul 30, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yes I believe they will when they're ready.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Jul 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
Doubt they will make a good 1, all of sega's games seem to be getting slightly worse with each update/sequel.
I'm sure the next 1 will be on the wii.

ForteGunnerW
Jul 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
Idc tbh i might try it but ill be to busy with TOR.

Yuicihi
Jul 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
I predict Phantasy Star V after so many years.

And it will be God-tier excellence, just to throw more people for a loop.

Calsetes
Jul 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
But if they continue the trend of "Playstation and PC on one server, 360 on their own" (for whatever reason they decide to keep them split up this time), it might not be as bad since on the PS3 they can install stuff to the hard drive and not have to worry about making content "tiny-storage-space-friendly." The only possible downside I see to having it console-only is having to subscribe through their respective online game stores.

I don't mind buying things here and there through the Playstation store, but the 360 store always seems to be a pain in the ass for me (you need to add points, in set intervals, then you can buy what you want with the points which work out to some strange ratio of points-per-cents). Then again, I never played PSU through there, so I'm not sure if their subscription process is different than a regular "buy points" thing or not.

Yuicihi
Jul 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
But if they continue the trend of "Playstation and PC on one server, 360 on their own" (for whatever reason they decide to keep them split up this time), it might not be as bad since on the PS3 they can install stuff to the hard drive and not have to worry about making content "tiny-storage-space-friendly." The only possible downside I see to having it console-only is having to subscribe through their respective online game stores.

I don't mind buying things here and there through the Playstation store, but the 360 store always seems to be a pain in the ass for me (you need to add points, in set intervals, then you can buy what you want with the points which work out to some strange ratio of points-per-cents). Then again, I never played PSU through there, so I'm not sure if their subscription process is different than a regular "buy points" thing or not.It's actually quite simple. It automatically takes $10 a month off of your card when you're subscribed. Of course, we don't really have to deal with the Error __ nonsense either.

Granted, the only way to cancel is to call Microsoft.

Calsetes
Jul 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
Granted, the only way to cancel is to call Microsoft.

That would be a big issue for me, as I shouldn't have to spend 30 minutes on a phone to stop paying to play a game. Of course, if they had a separate website set up to deal with all this for the different systems, then I'd have no problem with it.

Yuicihi
Jul 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
That would be a big issue for me, as I shouldn't have to spend 30 minutes on a phone to stop paying to play a game. Of course, if they had a separate website set up to deal with all this for the different systems, then I'd have no problem with it.

The best part is when you get somebody who hasn't heard of Phantasy Star Universe, and therefore doesn't know what a Guardian's License is.

I've only canceled like once, but I've heard stories about it.

joefro
Jul 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
Of course sega is working on a new phantasy star for japan at least. Psz and psp sold well over there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if psz2 would br announced this year. Now the big question is, will it be good? My guess, no. I say this because I just read an article with a sonic team developer who was asked when sonic would be good again, his response, "it's gonna be a while". So, if it'll be a while for sega to fox phantasy star then I'm sure it'll be twice as long for them to fix phantasy star. I'm expecting this new phantasy star to be announced at e3 2011 with a launch in japan in late 2011 just when the next generation of consoles hit. Just like psu.

Just my two cents. /rant

deso123
Jul 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
just about every genre is moving towards what phantasy star has been for a long while now and PS still offers more content than those wannabes but sega still has to at least try to make it a killer app like the original PSO or it just wont work. I'd like to see it on PS3 because you don't have to pay for live which is more retardation than I can take.

Noblewine
Jul 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
I believe the phantasy star series can be better with each new release. Sega is doing a good job and can't wait to see what they do next.

Calsetes
Jul 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
From what I heard from a few people, you don't need to pay for live to play PSU (at least not any more because I also thought you had to have both to play online).

RadiantLegend
Jul 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
That would be impossible...

Green_Bandit
Jul 30, 2009, 03:08 PM
You dont have to pay for LIVE to play PSU. Plenty of people have a silver just to play PSU. You see a lot of Golds around because there are other games besides PSU...

NDW
Jul 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
You dont have to pay for LIVE to play PSU. Plenty of people have a silver just to play PSU. You see a lot of Golds around because there are other games besides PSU...

This.

RemiusTA
Jul 30, 2009, 05:15 PM
From what i see, it seems like ST intentionally try to destroy the Phantasy Star serie.

You guys don't give this game the credit it deserves.

I think PSU's main, MAIN issue was the time it was released. Being released inbetween the change of a console generation is serious business and very risky, granted the game was in development years before the shift. Its quite obvious nobody knows WHAT system this game was slotted for -- It obviously isnt designed to be mained on the PS2, as pretty much everything in the PS2 version is severely downgraded (textures on weapons are almost nonexistant, framerate is defaulted to like 2 frameskip, Shield effects are taken out, slowdown runs rampant, draw distance sucks, the game can take up to 30 seconds to even load the animations and weapon models...animations are erased from memory midgame...). It could have been designed with the PC in mind as well...however the PC is nowhere close to as big a gaming platform as consoles are in japan. This game was being developed since before 2004, and the 360 released sometime in 2005.

This is the way i see it:

Checklist for an AMAZING next PSU/O entry:

1) Drop the PS2, Drop the PSP, Drop the Wii. Yeah, im knocking the Wii. The Wii, regardless of what its delusional fanbase may argue, is NOT a hardcore system, and is absolutely positively NOT suited for MMORPG gameplay. Lack of Harddrive, Poor network system, lacking graphical harddware. Its just not suited for MMO's. Monster Hunter is about the only type of MMO that would work, PSU would be included in that category, but we arent looking for another Last-gen graphics game sometime in 2012, are we? If the next phantasy star MMO series is on the Wii, it will do no better than PSU is currently, I PROMISE.

2) 360/PS3/PC exclusive, MERGE THE SERVERS. I dont care how you do it, but if you could get it done the revenue would be worth your while. The PS3 and 360 BARELY differ in terms of graphical capability, and when they do its on VERY specific terms. PC doesn't count. And if not PS3/360/PC, then merge 360/PC servers. Hell, they're both microsoft products anyway.

3) Keep the same PSO --> PSU artstic style, PLEASE GOD. Phantasy Star Zero is fucking lame. PSO/PSU's visual style is what makes it so unique to everything else of its type, please dont think you can change it.

4)
[spoiler-box]http://info.sonicretro.org/images/thumb/b/b1/Hedgehog_engine_sonic07.jpg/800px-Hedgehog_engine_sonic07.jpg

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/thumb/3/37/Hedgehog_engine_sonic11.jpg/800px-Hedgehog_engine_sonic11.jpg
[/spoiler-box]
Hedgehog Engine, Plz. This is how the next PS game should look, Sega. (yeah those are in-game shots of Unleashed. Despite how horrible the game got reviewed, nobody could knock its fucking pretty ass environments.)

If the next PS game looks as pretty as the last Sonic the Hedgehog game, then in the graphical department it'd be EXTREMELY hard for it to not do good.

Seriously, the fact Sonic Team just spent 3 years on their own next-gen engine makes it very unlikely the next PS game will endup on anything other than 360 or ps3.

pinkace
Jul 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
^

Yea, the unleashed engine is great and they can use it. It was made to be zippy, look pretty, and load fast. Great work.

On-topic, PSU is a huge improvement on PSO, and those who deny it are living in the past. just as some things did not work or were broken on PSO, many things don't work on PSU and I am sure the next game will have some defects. There is no such thing as a perfect game anymore, especially in games as sophisticated and complex as MMORPGs can be.

RagolianHunter
Jul 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
Honestly I actually enjoy this version as I have enjoy all previous installments dating back to the first on the sega master system

But you are asking the wrong question

Question should be: WILL SEGA CHOOSE A PROPER SERVER AND GET ADEQUATE STAFFING TO MOD THIS FUCKING FRANCHISE...probablly not.

TOO BAD TOO...

Log on issuues, hacking, NOT ANSWERING A FUCKING TICKET FOR OVER 4+MONTHS...not cool.

/end rant

Alamar
Jul 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
Wait, did you just use the word good and Segac in the same sentence? I hope they learn from their mistakes and improve on them but again it is Sega now isn't it. There will be a next one it will be better then this, yes we will buy it. And we will be right here bitching about Error 682 during MAG+++

gratefulgriz
Jul 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm HOPING they make an awesome solid stand-alone, no online gameplay added, no strange awkward action-based battle system main storyline sequel and call it Phantasy Star 5. Seriously, just give me a party of 4 or 5 guys, turn-based combat, maybe some of those combo attack/tech/skills from PS4, and some friggin' vehicles to cruise around multiple planets in. Oh, and anime cutscenes - CG looks cool and all, but classic PS needs animation in my opinion to really stand out and apart from the online ones.

Then again, the odds of this happening are somewhere between "snowball's chance in hell" and "ending every online debate about pirates and ninjas." So sometime in 4260 AD.

This is my wish too! it cant be too hard so get the ball rolling Sega!

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 30, 2009, 06:00 PM
If they do make another, it should be PC only, so they don't have to even worry about different servers and whatnot and they can focus on only one version. Also they should actually give a shit about the quality and take full advantage of the game's systems, unlike what they've done with PSU. Basically, just make a professional quality action MMO with the battle system and style of PSU, but with everything else vastly improved.

RemiusTA
Jul 30, 2009, 06:24 PM
My switch from PC to 360 was for ALOT of reasons, but one of deciding and biggest factors was the fact i could do it on my television.

PSO/PSU is a console MMO.

& BTW guys, Sonic Team really isnt a studio of great developers like, oh say Retro Studios, Capcom or Square Enix anymore. They used to push the envelope, but these days they just seem to do what makes them money. Every sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 (save for Heroes and Unleashed) is a definate indication of this.

The next phantasy star title is a toss-up, in all actuality. Most companies learn from their mistakes when it comes to releasing things on different systems, and feedback from playerbases. It may be amazing, or it may be horrible. All we can really do is wait. However, the Guardians Cash idea is a grand indication that Sonic Team has shifted into "We made them smile, now milk them for all they're fucking worth" mode.

Im eager to see the new one, however it'll be a long time before we do.

unicorn
Jul 30, 2009, 08:34 PM
I predict Phantasy Star V after so many years.

And it will be God-tier excellence, just to throw more people for a loop.

Hmm, do you think ST will go back to making old-school RPG Phantasy Star? It would be interesting, but I really enjoy the PS series as a MMO....

I mean, I think most newer PS players relate the series with onling gaming. It seems thats what the series is most known for these days. (good or bad)

I would really love to see ST make the next game similar to PSO in terms of aesthetics. PSO should be its own game, but I looooved the feel of PSO. Gameplay wise I prefer PSU, but it needs a more sci-fi storyline and epic music to make it a good game.

RemiusTA
Jul 30, 2009, 09:08 PM
Sonic Team...making an RPG?

Just dont see it happening. In their current state, any full-scale RPG Sonic Team decides to put together might just be a disaster.

Delete
Jul 30, 2009, 11:12 PM
If there is one, then I think it would be pretty cool. But by then, I would assume the population would of died for Phantasy Star (even for the 360) because a lot of people will have jobs and such or maybe have a family to take care of and won't have the time. Sorry, I got off topic a little bit there.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jul 30, 2009, 11:43 PM
ST needs to shitcan the majority of they're team and let me, my partner in crime Vanessa and her sis in the team. I got some good ideas and V'll make sure that the western audience gets the same treatment as the Eastern side. She used to be a PSU fan but after hearing about us gettin shafted she cancelled with a drop of the hat. Now she hates MMOs due to the sole fact that the US/EU players get hosed. As she says "Don't give me that bloody fucking excuse 'Oh we put it up on JP side so we can see how well it works!'. Bullocks. You either test it out THEN release it or you don't f*ckin bother at all! Maybe the yanks should drop another A-Bomb on your head. That'll drive some sense into your thick, tentacle cat girl wit' a pecker lovin skulls!".

Oh angry English women. So adorable that accent yet at the same time makes me so afraid. Anyways we'd prolly make it console only, keep the vehicles in it, and make leveling up techs easier. Because them suckers TAKE FOREVER! Also tech aiming. Facefull o' Megid. Love it!

stinkyfish97
Jul 31, 2009, 12:32 AM
Whats wrong with PSU?

Well I can find many things I do not like about it actually. I would prefer it if there were no weapon or armor boards. Personally I think every weapon should just be dropped made, keep the random percent thing but make it possible to get high percents, none of this capping percents to 30 or below. I mean what is the point of all the synth materials, half of which we dont get to use because the boards are never released. Seriously sega I am getting sick of staring at all these worthless synth materials that one day may be worth something but chances are that when those boards are released there will be missions that you will include to drop those materials like candy, so why even introduce us to them now, they take up room in my bot. Also why have a NPC sell materials at prices 100X higher than what player shops sell the prices at, vulcaline for example. Personally I think they really need to fix the NPC thing. They should introduce the NPC to being able to sell S-Rank weapons, armors, synth materials, than give you random percents such like the trade in but in this case you trade in messeta for the desired weapon. This idea may be biased to gunners and Forces since striking weapons prices are based on percents but you are creative people Sega, figure it out make it so that it is fair in some way.

What else can they introduce to make this game better. I mean the fighting system is fine the way it is. JA may be a little broken for some fighters at times but all I can say to that every class is powerful enough, no class is underpowered at this point I mean every class seems capable of clearing even the hardest of missions. Even Masterforce can finish missions it just might take them a little longer to do it sometimes.

I also believe in the fact that Sega needs to do a better job of getting people to stop spamming just one mission. Get some innovations, how about once a week we have races around Gural for best times at certain missions, or bring back mission spotlight events to get people interested in other things than whitebeast and seed express. Seriously the game gets dull when you spam the same missions just to find people to play with.

I also agree with the idea of a new engine to pretty things up a little. I wish that sega and Sonic team listened to us a little more on certain things since we are the dedecated gamers with a wealth of input of what we would like in a game.

Volcompat321
Jul 31, 2009, 12:37 AM
do you think sega will make a good phantasy star after psu?

No...
I like PSU as it is, I enjoy the game, just not the way it's handled, anymore.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Jul 31, 2009, 02:55 AM
Whats wrong with PSU?

Well I can find many things I do not like about it actually. I would prefer it if there were no weapon or armor boards. Personally I think every weapon should just be dropped made, keep the random percent thing but make it possible to get high percents, none of this capping percents to 30 or below. I mean what is the point of all the synth materials, half of which we dont get to use because the boards are never released. Seriously sega I am getting sick of staring at all these worthless synth materials that one day may be worth something but chances are that when those boards are released there will be missions that you will include to drop those materials like candy, so why even introduce us to them now, they take up room in my bot. Also why have a NPC sell materials at prices 100X higher than what player shops sell the prices at, vulcaline for example. Personally I think they really need to fix the NPC thing. They should introduce the NPC to being able to sell S-Rank weapons, armors, synth materials, than give you random percents such like the trade in but in this case you trade in messeta for the desired weapon. This idea may be biased to gunners and Forces since striking weapons prices are based on percents but you are creative people Sega, figure it out make it so that it is fair in some way.

What else can they introduce to make this game better. I mean the fighting system is fine the way it is. JA may be a little broken for some fighters at times but all I can say to that every class is powerful enough, no class is underpowered at this point I mean every class seems capable of clearing even the hardest of missions. Even Masterforce can finish missions it just might take them a little longer to do it sometimes.

I also believe in the fact that Sega needs to do a better job of getting people to stop spamming just one mission. Get some innovations, how about once a week we have races around Gural for best times at certain missions, or bring back mission spotlight events to get people interested in other things than whitebeast and seed express. Seriously the game gets dull when you spam the same missions just to find people to play with.

I also agree with the idea of a new engine to pretty things up a little. I wish that sega and Sonic team listened to us a little more on certain things since we are the dedecated gamers with a wealth of input of what we would like in a game.

The reason the have made weapons/armour drop at 150-174 is so they could make another drop tier (175+) with no effort and stretch the content out even more.
The 30% max is so when they finally drop the boards, is actually worth hunting the boards for the high %.
Its always about extending the contents lifespan.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jul 31, 2009, 12:41 PM
God I could sooooooo make a better storyline for the next PSO. Also add in some kick ass playing fields to. If only I had some artistic talent! Gawd I hate being the "writer"!

pikachief
Jul 31, 2009, 03:39 PM
well since they're going for a 5 year plan, PSU will last about another 2 years for sure.

so in 2011 im sure the new systems will be either coming out or will be out soon, so im sure Sega's next Phantasy Star will be developed for the next Gen :) (mmmm next gen Kitty......)

i'll still play it, thats for sure XD

landman
Jul 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
I doubt it, they released it for the PS2 because there were more PS2 on the market so more possible sales, and it worked, on Japan at least, they will not release a new game on a new system with few sales, they will release it on the current gen, if they release anything.

Kylie
Jul 31, 2009, 07:32 PM
I think they will, at least in Japan, but I can't say if it will be good or not. Stranger things have happened.

SStrikerR
Jul 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
On-topic, PSU is a huge improvement on PSO, and those who deny it are living in the past.

Sorry, but here's the part where I disagree with you. My friend intoduced me to PSO less than a year before PSU came out. So I wasn't living in the past, I was playing two new games at the same time. I loved PSO instantly. I was very excited for PSU, but when it came out I didn't get that same feeling.

So, I'll give my ratings on both games to show you how I feel.

"Hook" rating - PSO

With PSO, I was hooked instantly and rarely took breaks from the game. When I did they never lasted. I still play.

In PSU, I often took breaks, and for longer periods of time. At this point I'm done with it for good.

Story rating - Tie

PSO had a story, but it was something you could play the game without caring about. Of course, I still read all the messages and payed attention, but you don't need to.

PSU's offline story was just terrible, and it continued online. Awful.

Combat system - ?
I have divided this into multiple subcategories, and you can decide which deserves the higher rating here. It's personal preference really.

Technics - PSO
PSO's technics aimed themselves, but were very underpowered in ultimate. Were obtained in disc, and you needed certain amounts of MST to use.

In PSU you have to aim most of your techs yourself, and you level them by using them. This, in my opinion, was a good idea gone wrong. It required too much grinding unless you wanted shitty techs in higher leveled missions.

Annoyances - Tie
PSO's mobs constantly surround you, which, in solo mode, is VERY annoying. You either need luck to get out, or a telepipe to escape. Status effects could be negated by units, which are easy to obtain should you want them. Oh, and there's a ton of insta-kill moves that will be thrown at you if you dare to go into ep 2. (Especially the towers)

Love getting stuck in enemies? Well, PSU should sound pretty damn good if you do. There are units to prevent status effects here, too.

Creativity - PSU
PSU has photon arts, PSO doesn't. That's pretty much it.

END OF COMBAT RATING

Creativity - PSO
PSO has an incredible amount of weapons, armors, units, and monsters.
PSU has reskins, and a miniscule amount of weapon designs. Stole weapons from PSO :disappove:

Communication - PSO
Symbol chat was a very interesting idea, and is enjoyable. PSO also had quick chat and regular typing.
I guess you COULD say PSU is better if you enjoy typing and/or preteens screaming into your ear.

Management/hacking - Tie
Both games suffered from lack of updates and hacking. Both had terrible customer support. PSU's updates are things being unlocked from a disc, and yet some were still screwed up. I mean really, what is that?

Currently, this is all that I have rated. If you would like me to add anything else in, either to a current rating or an entirely new section, PM me.

Since that was fairly off-topic...

Will they make a good PS after PSU? I hope so, but I honestly have no idea if they can pull it off.

pinkace
Jul 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
SStrikerR, of course PSO has that specialness that PSU doesn't have. And the next game in the series will be missing that magic ingredient too. That is what happens when a game comes around that is truly special; it makes a home out of your heart *sniff* :')

But whether you can sense it or not, PSU improved on PSO in most technical aspects. More characters, more classes and races, freedom to change, not just grind but make weapons, trap system, leveling, MP, and although I miss symbol chat, the communication in the game overall was improved.

So, on topic, based on the marked improvements to PSU from PSO, I deduce that the next game will be improved upon as well.

AngelofEnders
Jul 31, 2009, 09:18 PM
PS will be good when ST isn't making it.

RemiusTA
Jul 31, 2009, 10:28 PM
Im so sorry, but no. Just no.

"Hook" rating - PSO

With PSO, I was hooked instantly and rarely took breaks from the game. When I did they never lasted. I still play.

In PSU, I often took breaks, and for longer periods of time. At this point I'm done with it for good.I'd say Tie. If i had a choice between PSOBB online and PSU online, i'd definately play PSU over PSO at this point. PSO's charm only lasts so long.

Story rating - Tie

PSO had a story, but it was something you could play the game without caring about. Of course, I still read all the messages and payed attention, but you don't need to.

PSU's offline story was just terrible, and it continued online. Awful.If anything, i'd say PSO would win here, simply because of the way the story was delivered. There's nothing wrong with PSU's story, it was just half-ass rushed out the door.

Combat system - ?
I have divided this into multiple subcategories, and you can decide which deserves the higher rating here. It's personal preference really.Personal preference yes, but you CANT be serious if your thinking PSO's battle system was more functional / complex as PSU's.

Technics - PSO
PSO's technics aimed themselves, but were very underpowered in ultimate. Were obtained in disc, and you needed certain amounts of MST to use.

In PSU you have to aim most of your techs yourself, and you level them by using them. This, in my opinion, was a good idea gone wrong. It required too much grinding unless you wanted shitty techs in higher leveled missions.This DEFINATELY goes to PSU, as ANY sane techer would tell you. Forces sucked ass in PSO, and as a Diehard force user in PSO i can tell you this without bias.

Annoyances - Tie
PSO's mobs constantly surround you, which, in solo mode, is VERY annoying. You either need luck to get out, or a telepipe to escape. Status effects could be negated by units, which are easy to obtain should you want them. Oh, and there's a ton of insta-kill moves that will be thrown at you if you dare to go into ep 2. (Especially the towers)

Love getting stuck in enemies? Well, PSU should sound pretty damn good if you do. There are units to prevent status effects here, too. Opening the menu to avoid traps? Piping back to pioneer to waste more money on Difluids and pray to god they're selling Tri? Damage Cancel? 80% chance of hitting your enemy? Paralysis that does not go away? Megid that moves at 30 miles an hour? You'd be hard pressed to find anything in PSU as annoying as that. About the only seriously annoying PSU aspects at this point would be Hordes of enemies throwing megid at you and being put to frigging sleep.

Creativity - PSU
PSU has photon arts, PSO doesn't. That's pretty much it.You left out the sheer amount of rares that did things other than their regular function in PSO, so no thats pretty much not it. If anything this deserves a Tie.

END OF COMBAT RATING

Creativity - PSO
PSO has an incredible amount of weapons, armors, units, and monsters.
PSU has reskins, and a miniscule amount of weapon designs. Stole weapons from PSO :disappove:
WHAT?

PSU lets you clothe your character. Thats an instant win, first off. Second off, Not only can you customize your clothes, you can customize the proportions of the body, of the face, eyebrows, ears, MULTIPLE more hairstyles and even accessories with them, Eye color, Lip color, Voice set and pitch....are you serious?

Third off, PSU has a GRAND amount of weapon designs, judging from the fact that almost every weapon, even starting from C rank, has 3 differnet weapon models from each manufacturer, and then ANOTHER unique model for their first A-Rank counterparts. In PSO the first saber you get that doesnt look like the one you start out with is the DB's Saber.

In terms of enemies, PSO had alot of neat enemy types, but for the bulk of them all they were ALL reskins. PSU's reskins on the other hand actually have different AI patterns, stats, attacks, evasive manuvers, ect ect. I used to say PSO's enemy types were better than PSU's until i actually started comparing them, and PSU's enemy species are very diverse indeed. About the ONLY enemy types that PSU does not have are the Monest and Garnaz, but those enemies only showed up rarely anyway.

PSU gets this one again. PSO's creativity was mostly in its beautiful soundtrack and environments, but in terms of creative design, PSU is the pinnicle the series has seen imo. Everything from differing designer clothes to differing designer WEAPON models.

Communication - PSO
Symbol chat was a very interesting idea, and is enjoyable. PSO also had quick chat and regular typing.
I guess you COULD say PSU is better if you enjoy typing and/or preteens screaming into your ear. Dont care how you try to twist it, Voice Chat > Symbol chat. The amount of Preteen idiots on the Subscription Version of PSU360 is minimal, because i really cant recall the last time that happened to me. Cut-in chat more or less replaces Symbol Chat. Its not like everyone didnt have the same picture concepts anyway.

Yeah this goes to PSU as well.

Management/hacking - Tie
Both games suffered from lack of updates and hacking. Both had terrible customer support. PSU's updates are things being unlocked from a disc, and yet some were still screwed up. I mean really, what is that?Apparently you have never played PSO before if you think PSU's hacking and management are equal to eachother.

The chance of finding a player with LEGIT high-leveled equipment (or equipment that wasnt duped into circulation) was just as low as getting the item to drop itself. If you think PSU's management is sucky with 060 error....how about you try FSOD for a change?

PSU wins this again.

To say PSU made "improvements" over PSO is a large understatement, now that i think about it. About the only thing PSO currently still trumps PSU in is Soundtrack quality.

pinkace
Jul 31, 2009, 10:57 PM
^

wow.

I was gonna do an itemized dissection but damn, good thing I didn't, you just would have pwned me.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 31, 2009, 10:59 PM
Ugh, damage cancel. Thanks for reminding me of that abomination.

Middle
Aug 1, 2009, 04:46 AM
I want new Phantasy Star Online Episode I,II & IV with a Vth Episode addad, a better battle system, better graphics (of course), more content (items, weapons armors), and I want addsolt back ...
so this would be perfect, but never happen xD

DAMASCUS
Aug 1, 2009, 01:12 PM
In terms of melee combat I definitely think the photon arts need tweaking. They are incredibly fun but the implementation just doesn't make sense when it comes to melee. You are constantly using it so of course it will level and become capped at some point.
Anywho..what would be cool is if photon arts were predetermined with weapons and starting weapons would be limited to one PA each BUT if you used that weapon( or any other with that PA ) you would earn that ability to use with others weapons in that catergory. This could be exciting too because higher level weapons could have special PAs that no other weapon has.

I know it sounds dreadfully familiar but some variation on that would be interesting.

Magus_84
Aug 1, 2009, 01:17 PM
Ugh, damage cancel. Thanks for reminding me of that abomination.

People need to be reminded of it, as in most of the "OMG PSO WUZ SO AWSUM, PSU SUX" things, that's conveniently forgotten.

Along with how badly Sacrificial-style weapons break the game. How post-v2 PSO's Ultimate mode turned into a battle of long-ranged status effects (instadeath vs FS/Sacrifical spam, making melee kinda useless). Oh, and how utterly useless offensive techs were in Ultimate multi/online. Though that's partially resists, partially damage-cancel and partially the idiocy of making a stat tied to a damage type that can't be meaningfully increased with weapons (MST, I'm looking at you).

Those are my biggest problems with PSO, and the areas where I feel PSU improved on the most. That, and character customization.

PSO's got better music and better depth of rares in some respects. It fails in making rare weapons equally useful though, as most of them can be outdone by one of two storebought weapons with Charge and 50% hit (Slicer/mechgun). It had a much wider variety of "useful" units once you count BB, but PSU's are steered more towards stat boosts.

The one (and only, I'd say...) mechanical aspect that PSO does better than PSU is related to support techs, and more generally to the way they are cast. The "Quick Menu" in PSO made casting S/D/J/Z and the rarely-used healing types (Anti/Reverser) far more convenient. The customizable action pallette and the 1-9 hotkeys (BB) made it even easier.

The "pallette" system works well for melee, and sorta well for guns. It'd be "nice" if you could load two different bullets on a gun (to make use of the other button), but that's not that bad. The "pallette" system absolutely sucks for tech usage. Or at least, for a combination of offense and support.

If they could do some sort of hybrid on the system between PSO and PSU, I think it'd work far better. Maybe give the option to replace one of a tech-using character's "pallette" slots with a PSO-style Technique Quick Menu. Have all techs cast from that slot have an effective TP of 0, so it won't overpower Offensive techs, and have them be cast as soon as you select them, instead of having to select, assign to a button, then press the button.

Give it room for, say... 10 techs. 4 buffs, 3 debuffs, Giresta and Rentis/Dizas. Bam! Suddenly, buffs aren't so annoying to cast. Then you still get five slots you can dedicate to the other weapons you can use, or to offensive techs.

Resta still has to be equipped to a weapon (as it runs off TP), but that gives you something to put in your right hand for Masterforce and the like. Still "allow" the supports to be put on a casting weapon if you want.

If they'd steal that idea, the music composer, the varied unit effects and the various oddball weapon effects from PSO, I think that'd do far more for the game than simply rehashing PSO levels.

Immovable One
Aug 1, 2009, 02:29 PM
Anyone got a link to that long article/essay about the flaws of PSU?
I think it's the one with some headline saying "PSO was good, so will PSU" or something like that. I'd love to read it again just for laughs XD

After all the updates, PSU did get good to the point that the only things it had inferior to PSO was the music (beside the situational changing bgm). I believe only one out of the 3 original PSO composers went to work on PSU's. I also didn't like the Oriental take on the Newmans. Phantasy Star has always been a merge between Sci-Fi and Medieval fantasy, and converting the medieval part into samurais and kimonos imo really contributed a lot to the drastic change in atmosphere.

Besides those, I miss the invisible robots and leading homing missiles back to those tank bots.

Oh, and why haven't we got a modern incarnation of Myau's species?

deso123
Aug 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
from the psu demo i played on the 360 when it came out i knew it sucked for the following reasons

bland maps
bland monsters
bland boses
overly expansive which made everything drawn out and boring
the classes were all screwed up and i didnt want to deal with trying to sort it out
no mags

the freakin drop boxes had no texture and they werent in the shape of boxes at all!

the way the weapons and spells worked were weird and lame compared to pso

it felt like a free mmorpg like space cowboy

Finalzone
Aug 1, 2009, 05:12 PM
2) 360/PS3/PC exclusive, MERGE THE SERVERS. I dont care how you do it, but if you could get it done the revenue would be worth your while. The PS3 and 360 BARELY differ in terms of graphical capability, and when they do its on VERY specific terms. PC doesn't count. And if not PS3/360/PC, then merge 360/PC servers. Hell, they're both microsoft products anyway.

Definitely this one. Spliting servers for platform is so retarded. Whoever decided that idea should be fired IMHO.

Magus_84
Aug 1, 2009, 05:19 PM
from the psu demo i played on the 360 when it came out i knew it sucked for the following reasons

bland maps
bland monsters
bland boses
overly expansive which made everything drawn out and boring
the classes were all screwed up and i didnt want to deal with trying to sort it out
no mags

the freakin drop boxes had no texture and they werent in the shape of boxes at all!

the way the weapons and spells worked were weird and lame compared to pso

it felt like a free mmorpg like space cowboy

Yeah, playing a free demo tends to feel like you're getting what you pay for. Judging something on a tiny fraction of its content isn't the best way to do that.

But if you want, stick with PSO. It's free now.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 1, 2009, 05:22 PM
If they'd steal...the music composer...from PSOIt was mostly the same composers for both games, actually. Kenichi Tokoi, Hideaki Kobayashi, and at least one other dude are the same, if I recall correctly. And I'll agree that PSO had the superior soundtrack, but PSU's isn't really as bad as people make it out to be, except for that God-awful HIVE music. Ugh.

Anyway, I agree with the rest of the stuff you said. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people forget about damage cancel, since it seemed like very few knew about it on PSO anyway, despite it being an enormous factor in overall party damage output. Never ceased to amaze me how many people thought spamming Divine Punishment weapon specials was actually a good thing for damage.

Finalzone
Aug 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
Management/hacking - Tie
Both games suffered from lack of updates and hacking. Both had terrible customer support. PSU's updates are things being unlocked from a disc, and yet some were still screwed up. I mean really, what is that?

PSO is worse. My first Dreamcast Online experience in PSO was a nightmare having to deal with thieves using One Hit Kills crack. At least PSU has online server and cracker using hacked with have its accounts revoked.

deso123
Aug 1, 2009, 05:34 PM
PSO is worse. My first Dreamcast Online experience in PSO was a nightmare having to deal with thieves using One Hit Kills crack. At least PSU has online server and cracker using hacked with have its accounts revoked.

i got it when it came out and it was fun stealing when people died from monsters. then i started to cheat when they came out. was fun killing legit players and taking their stuff whenever you felt like it.

Finalzone
Aug 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
The one (and only, I'd say...) mechanical aspect that PSO does better than PSU is related to support techs, and more generally to the way they are cast. The "Quick Menu" in PSO made casting S/D/J/Z and the rarely-used healing types (Anti/Reverser) far more convenient. The customizable action pallette and the 1-9 hotkeys (BB) made it even easier.

It will never work on PSU because of tech type class and the combat system. a Force casts slower than Masterforce or Acrotecher.

pinkace
Aug 1, 2009, 06:16 PM
i got it when it came out and it was fun stealing when people died from monsters. then i started to cheat when they came out. was fun killing legit players and taking their stuff whenever you felt like it.

Die. Die now.

deso123
Aug 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
Die. Die now.

there was a time when pso was about being awesome. now its about giggles, flaunting, and next top model contests.

Magus_84
Aug 1, 2009, 06:45 PM
It will never work on PSU because of tech type class and the combat system. a Force casts slower than Masterforce or Acrotecher.

I know it was long, but please read the rest of the post. >_>

I was stealing the Quick Menu idea only for support techs.

furrypaws
Aug 1, 2009, 07:59 PM
You tell me. Did you like Phantasy Star Zero? ;)

I'm not sure I'm ready for another Phantasy Star, to be honest. I'm still having fun between PSO and PSU. I don't think I can devote myself to another full fledged MMO. Hopefully this runs until at least 2011, or *gasp* 2012.

If they follow their general pattern, it'll start out half baked, then it will have to go through a few expansions/ports before it's decent content wise.

pinkace
Aug 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
there was a time when pso was about being awesome. now its about giggles, flaunting, and next top model contests.

If you define awesome as exploiting a game's weaknesses to the point that it's inherent rewards become obsolete, then I reiterate: die. Die now.

deso123
Aug 2, 2009, 06:29 AM
If you define awesome as exploiting a game's weaknesses to the point that it's inherent rewards become obsolete, then I reiterate: die. Die now.

dont hate the player. hate the game

AlphaDragoon
Aug 2, 2009, 06:49 AM
Whoever mentioned "console only"...HELL NO.

If anything, it should be PC only like BB.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Aug 2, 2009, 09:20 AM

No where near as much money could be made on pc compared to the consoles.

DAMASCUS
Aug 2, 2009, 09:41 AM
dont hate the player. hate the game

When it comes to Game Shark Nazi's you just can't win :( ..or is it Game Genie? Loser

deso123
Aug 2, 2009, 11:23 AM
When it comes to Game Shark Nazi's you just can't win :( ..or is it Game Genie? Loser

calling me a loser on an rpg site over how i play the game. if you can cheat people will. those cheaters unbalance the entire game. only a fool would not take advantage of a situation when the whole purpose of the game is gaining access to restricted items. on the xbox version of pso i quit when the cheating started. the game sucks not the players.

pinkace
Aug 2, 2009, 03:09 PM
calling me a loser on an rpg site over how i play the game. if you can cheat people will. those cheaters unbalance the entire game. only a fool would not take advantage of a situation when the whole purpose of the game is gaining access to restricted items. on the xbox version of pso i quit when the cheating started. the game sucks not the players.

Your cheating is not what bothers me. I am talking about you taking someone's weapon when they die. You were a complete shithead in the game, you are a complete shithead on these boards, and I am confident that your shithead future will continue to make life on this planet worse for everyone.

Die. Die now. Do mankind a favor.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
No where near as much money could be made on pc compared to the consoles.Yeah, because everyone knows that practically no one plays MMOs on a PC! What a ridiculous notion!

PC only would be better for myriad reasons. I don't feel like explaining them, though.

DreXxiN
Aug 2, 2009, 04:11 PM
Your cheating is not what bothers me. I am talking about you taking someone's weapon when they die. You were a complete shithead in the game, you are a complete shithead on these boards, and I am confident that your shithead future will continue to make life on this planet worse for everyone.

Die. Die now. Do mankind a favor.

In his defense, I'm going to have to add that in DC's first release of PSO, "Pirating" people's weapons was intentionally thrown in by ST.

Not only was it more suspensful and made you be more careful, but it gave players new personality. It really felt like a fantasy world. In fact, I think it'd be neat in Universe..you could potentially role-play a "Rogue" and steal people's shit, but you could also risk losing reputation to everyone unless you were charismatic and convinced them otherwise.

Meh, maybe it's just me. I liked that you could be the nice guy or the jackass, each bearing it's own rewards or own negativities. (I was the good guy, by the way.)

It's not even actually a cheat; It's kinda like going through a Pioneer 2 drop-trade with someone you don't trust when you are fully aware of the potential consequences....owait.

furrypaws
Aug 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
^While that does sound cool in theory, there are always more thieves than good guys, and losing hundreds of hours hunting for that one weapon only to lose it to some jerk was never, ever fun.

DreXxiN
Aug 2, 2009, 04:36 PM
^While that does sound cool in theory, there are always more thieves than good guys, and losing hundreds of hours hunting for that one weapon only to lose it to some jerk was never, ever fun.

True, but the beauty of it is you can make everyone hate him and do the same thing to him for the rest of his natural-born life...BWAHAHAHA!!!

Or until he stops playing or FSOD's you.

deso123
Aug 2, 2009, 05:17 PM
People who follow the rules don't make the rules. The people who follow the rules can't handle the truth. They are a harvestable commodity. For example, you like paying sega to waste your life. They provide the environment and you graze in it. Don't get high on your own supply.

Randomness
Aug 2, 2009, 05:37 PM
People who follow the rules don't make the rules. The people who follow the rules can't handle the truth.

A long line of famous thinkers begs to differ.

landman
Aug 2, 2009, 05:38 PM

You mean like our PSOBB servers that had that lack of population that updates never arrived? where Event prices were never reached because of the lack of people playing them? was that server any different to the actual PSU PC server? (look at the "Hit the Counter" on past events and you will know why you reached the goal prices)

I say console only, they offer more protection against hacking, and hacking has always been the big problem in the franchise for people leaving the game.

deso123
Aug 2, 2009, 05:58 PM
A long line of famous thinkers begs to differ.
Like the people who patented GMO crop seeds which used to be illegal and then allowed them to spread into farmer's land so that they could sue them and shut them down for using their seeds?

Or how about the same company that patented the H1N1 genetically spliced swine flu vaccine way back in 2007 releasing it in mexico and now making millions of doses to profit from in the next few months even though the vaccine has never been tested and is proven to not work on the flu's current mutation.

How about the federal reserve being welfare for the rich?

Or Obama lying about everything he promised and on several occasions admitted that it was just pandering to the people?

Do you honestly believe in global warming? Carbon taxes? Earth used to be almost nothing but carbon dioxide.

How about nanothermite found in the WTC towers?

:/

landman
Aug 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
We are in a videogame forum, sir D:

Magus_84
Aug 2, 2009, 06:45 PM
I say console only, they offer more protection against hacking.

...lol

So...did you play PSO DC, PSO GC or PSOX? All of those had non-existent protection against hacking, and those are the biggest chunk of "the franchise" that you mention.

PSO BB is the only PSO version that had any decent protection against hacking, and that was only because NOLing/FSOD/FSOD-X weren't able to destroy your character data. Which is basically "server-side character saving stops some hacking".

, and hacking has always been the big problem in the franchise for people leaving the game

Hacking was the big problem that made players of PSO leave. PSU's more a lack of updates and support, and that can hit both console and PC.

And deso...there are a ton of conspiracy forums. This isn't one of them.

DAMASCUS
Aug 3, 2009, 12:30 AM
There is something to be said for not being a 'sheep'. It is always in your best interest to see opportunities for bending or even breaking rules to serve an immediate need. Seeing through lies and accepting that the world is not looking out for us.

None of this needs a place in escapism; unless you are a critic.

It doesn't get much better than the casual nature of online Phantasy Star with friends! The phenomenon of fun will continue...with or without you.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 3, 2009, 01:22 AM
Because a part of me still yearns for the great experience I had when being introduced to PSO on GC for the first time when I was 9, I would buy the next big Phantasy Star game. It has to be an MMO of course.
The same reason I am buying Halo 3: ODST.

landman
Aug 3, 2009, 02:26 AM
...lol

So...did you play PSO DC, PSO GC or PSOX? All of those had non-existent protection against hacking, and those are the biggest chunk of "the franchise" that you mention.

PSO BB is the only PSO version that had any decent protection against hacking, and that was only because NOLing/FSOD/FSOD-X weren't able to destroy your character data. Which is basically "server-side character saving stops some hacking".

I'm obviously talking about xbox 360 and PS3, all other systems are hacked to death, but the "next gen" systems are actually very difficult to hack, proof is PSU 360 has not been hacked thanks to the system (it was glitched, but that's a game flaw)

PSOBB and PSU use the same gameguard, only different version.

Hacking was the big problem that made players of PSO leave. PSU's more a lack of updates and support, and that can hit both console and PC.
The same lack of updates affected PSU 360 and it's population is the most stable, and the PC server had a lot more players at launch, if hacks were not the reason for most of the people leaving the PC servers two years ago, I don't know what was.

Palle
Aug 3, 2009, 04:03 AM
IMO:

PC design potential = gorgeous.
PC gameplay = major snorefest.

If there was another online PS installment and it ended up being PC only, count me out. Even if it was built around an 8th-gen console, there'll be no more of this pre-order importing like I did last time. I'll wait a good long while and read a good many player reviews before even considering giving SEGA any money.

But that's coming from someone who's increasingly dissatisfied with the VG industry with each passing day.

Jesse M
Aug 3, 2009, 04:25 AM
I like this thread

Arika
Aug 3, 2009, 05:46 AM
It seem that they are making PSPo 2.

that mean no other new PS series for awhile?

deso123
Aug 3, 2009, 07:17 AM
wtf is PSPo 2

JAFO22000
Aug 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
The "console-only" comment I made was not intended to start a "console-is-better-than-PC" war. I only wanted to point out that the simplicity of this game makes it a better fit for the typical console player, who is more of a casual player. Add in the fact that there is only one other online RPG for both consoles and you have a market sitting there waiting to spend their money. A game like WoW would not do well on the consoles because it is too in depth, requires too much time.

The only reason I would exclude the PC from the equation is for ease of programming. Instead of having to program for the consoles AND the PC, concentrating on one vs. the other will allow them to streamline updates and ensure they are done correctly.

From a monetary point of view (which is really the only one that matters), making this game PC only would only obscure it to a group of people who have much better RPGs at their fingertips.

If this game were never released for the 360 it would be dead in the US and EUR.

MadDogg
Aug 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
Man I would be happy with just a plain old phantasy star online blue burst port for xbox live arcade. The ability to play a old school pso on a console again, and the best part is, the game after like, 5 different versions would FINALLY be hack/dupe free, man that would own so much.

I also want to comment on this. PSO/PSU just has that "feel" that it should be a console only game, just like diablo has that "feel" that it belongs on a PC only, a lot of old school pso vets felt that way about blue burst. I want my PSOs/PSUs on consoles pl0x.

I'm not knocking the PC in general, if a game was ran by the right company like ncSoft with city of heroes, then hacking/cheating isn't really an issue. But as long as sega still uses gameguard for all their PC games, I don't want to offend any fanboys or anything, but I greatly prefer if the 360 version of a pso/psu stayed far, far, away from a PC version.

You have to understand where I'm coming from on the whole PC thing though. I've been playing phantasy star online games ever since day 1 on the dreamcast. I've been through version 1, 2, gamecube pso, xbox pso, then finally blue burst on the PC. Each and every one of these games where killed off by hackers/dupers, or people just acting dumb as hell with cheats/hacks in general. I'M FRIGGIN SICK OF ALL THE PSOS I PLAY DIE OFF BY HACKERS. Thats 5 versions of the same damn game throughout the years, all running into the same damn problem.

Then here comes phantasy star universe on the 360. Finally, I'm able to play the series I like with not a ounce of hackers, thanks to the tight security microsoft runs on live. The closest thing we even had that could be considered cheating was the s grinder duping incident, which was patched, users banned, and everyone moved on with their life in a week.

Basically if sega did make a new PSO/PSU, all I ask is to only make it on the 360/PS3. All I want is hacking/cheating in general to be controlled, and if that is better done with console only versions, especially on live, then I'm all for it.

OrangeTippedGun
Aug 3, 2009, 01:35 PM
The Phantasy Star games belong on consoles. I'm sorry, but it just feels so right on a console.
JAFO22000 made an excellent point. I started playing PSU v1 on PS2. I became addicted to the game and loved it, now I had never played PSOBB at the time and the reason I wanted to play PSU so bad was because of all the fun I had playing PSO on GC offline.
After taking a 5 month break from PSU on eventually got AoI for my computer and even though I used an Xbox 360 control it just didn't feel the same as playing it on a console. Then I started playing the Xbox 360 version. I probably had the least fun playing it on my computer. I know it's really just a matter of preference.
lol but I'm banned from all them now so I don't even play PSU anymore.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 3, 2009, 02:58 PM
IMO:

PC design potential = gorgeous.
PC gameplay = major snorefest.Yeah, because, you know, the PC version of PSU and 360/PS2 versions have TOTALLY DIFFERENT gameplay.

PC is better because it has more potential, everyone already owns a PC and if you don't then you're doing it wrong, you have your keyboard right there without having to worry about buying any additional peripherals, Print Screen (I don't know how people play PSU without this), and so forth.

I understand the series "feeling" like a console game to some people who started in DC/GCN, but I started on BB, so there. Also I really dislike online console gaming.

RayneTheWhiteRing
Aug 3, 2009, 04:44 PM
PSO, in my opinion had a better story than PSU, by a bit. Of course you can skip the dialogue but if you really pay attention, it really captures. At least with me.

Reading Rico's message pods and Flowen's message terminals makes you wonder what happened, how the whole event took place.

And to me, the characters in PSO were more lovable.

I mean, I freaking cried when Calus 'died' in 'Knowing One's Heart'. I felt so bad for him and Elly.

And that's the one charm that PSU doesn't seem to have. Of course I like PSU's plot, story and characters, but they don't seem to click with me as much.

As for gameplay, I admit PSU has a bit more points in that department.

PSU has slightly better camera angles, and the weapon Synthesis (Although I feel SEGA might've ripped this off from Square some), is a good idea. Better than going to the Tekker, HOPING to get that one weapon with the stats you want.

The TECHNIC thing though, I agree that it takes too long to level, as with Photon Arts. You sometimes don't notice your PP going down, since you might keep tapping and tapping, it's tiring and they should fix that.

Partner Machines, are a good idea, the fact that you can take them with you in battle once they're 'old' enough is an interesting concept.

Customization, PSU DEFINITELY takes the cake there. More clothes, you can define your character's shape better, skin color, eyes and face and even their voice. A feature they should definately keep in another PS installment, should it be online.

Music, I feel PSO takes the flag. This has more nostalgia value than PSU's music. I'm not saying PSU's music is BAD, but PSO music has that feeling, when I close my eyes, I feel like I'm in the Caves, or Ruins.

AOTI brought back some of the PSO levels, which made me excited, but I was a bit disappointed to find out that some of the bosses...were not what I expected.

'Dark Falz' looks like a De Rol Le rip-off. I was hoping for a remake of the original, and that we might've got to see Rico for the first time in years.

I would say a few things for PSZ, but I don't know enough to express an opinion of it.

All in all, if ST DOES make another online PS, I hope it's more related to PSO in some aspects.

VertigoZero
Aug 3, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sonic Team really isnt a studio of great developers like, oh say Retro Studios, Capcom or Square Enix anymore. They used to push the envelope, but these days they just seem to do what makes them money. Every sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 (save for Heroes and Unleashed) is a definate indication of this.

OMG yeah thats true. when was the last time sega or sonic team made a game that made you want to say "holy shit i want that game!"

last sega game i really wanted was sonic adventure 1. 2 was ok i guess but did they really need to have lame ass theme songs?

next phantasy star title is a toss-up, in all actuality. Most companies learn from their mistakes when it comes to releasing things on different systems, and feedback from playerbases. It may be amazing, or it may be horrible. All we can really do is wait. However, the Guardians Cash idea is a grand indication that Sonic Team has shifted into "We made them smile, now milk them for all they're fucking worth" mode.

Im eager to see the new one, however it'll be a long time before we do.

as for the next PS id rather not see it be another online one but an actual sequel to 4.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 3, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ya know, I'd like to see that too. But the combat style, how would it be done? I mean should it be in the vein of PSU, PSO, or the original Phantasy Star series with the behind the character turn based? I for one would go crazy if that ever happened. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be pure cheese like the new Star Ocean.

Immovable One
Aug 3, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ya know, I'd like to see that too. But the combat style, how would it be done? I mean should it be in the vein of PSU, PSO, or the original Phantasy Star series with the behind the character turn based? I for one would go crazy if that ever happened. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be pure cheese like the new Star Ocean.

Single-handed weapons can now be paired with other single-handed weapons (thus, requiring 2 sabers to make a twin saber). Special moves reference moves from classic Phantasy Star games (CrossCut anyone?).

Also, a new weapon type, Boots, can be combined with Knuckles.

Combination attacks can be executed when certain conditions are met (such as casting Foie on a party member doing a Jabroga or something, or creating a powerful spell by casting a certain combination of spells on the same monster at the same time).

Devil May Cry style moves can now be done (such as back+attack to do an upper cut). You can also roll to dodge, plus parry as well.... Daigo style.

SUV still exclusive to CAST (customizable too), but Newmen can summon creatures, Beast have multiple transformations, and MAGs are now Human exclusive (plus they don't need to fill their Photon Blast bar to use them unlike the other races).

Graphics are now cel-shaded with the quality of Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit.
Plus it's a mixture of Medieval Fantasy and Sci-Fi again.

Plus the summer event lets us explore a new dungeon called Air Castle, with Lassic as its boss.

Speaking of bosses and monsters in general, they reveal new moves, patterns, and/or forms depending on the difficulty level, forcing players to drastically change their strategy.

I wonder what we'll see in the final days....

One can dream XD

AlphaDragoon
Aug 4, 2009, 12:11 AM
I also want to comment on this. PSO/PSU just has that "feel" that it should be a console only game, just like diablo has that "feel" that it belongs on a PC only, a lot of old school pso vets felt that way about blue burst. I want my PSOs/PSUs on consoles pl0x.

And I like that "console game feel", it's why I only play PSO/PSU and hate other MMOs. Believe me, I HATE traditional MMO games. But there are just some limitations to a console that PC doesn't have. Like the infinite number of things that got hosed in PSU thanks to LOL PS2 needs a disc.

Of course, the newer consoles have hard drives, but then there's the now infamous coding issues with content in PS2 version. And if they go next-gen, there's the trash architecture the PS3 uses, that no developer I've EVER spoken to likes or is enthusiastic about working with (and yeah, I've spoken to several personally, worked in the game industry). If Sega couldn't wrap their head around the PS2...they're in for a nightmare if they put it on PS3. Of the choices, I suppose 360 only would be the best.

Although, I wouldn't like that much either...when you have two PSU players in the house and it's on a console, you get to play the "pass the controller after x number of hours" and so forth, unless you buy two $400 consoles just to play PSU/whatever the next PS game is. Whereas I have two PCs (and so do a lot of other people with laptops and such), so it's no big.

Zorafim
Aug 4, 2009, 12:14 AM
SUV still exclusive to CAST (customizable too), but Newmen can summon creatures, Beast have multiple transformations, and MAGs are now Human exclusive (plus they don't need to fill their Photon Blast bar to use them unlike the other races).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCTwhqup94

Anyway, I have to say that I don't trust Sega anymore, in the sense that I'd trust Nintendo or Square Enix. I haven't seen, in several years, a game made by Sega that appeals to me besides PSU. It seems like Sega is trying to catch up in a market where companies already know what they're doing, and are relying on their past successes to carry them until they hit a breakthrough.

Will they be good again? I can see it happening. I'll be silently rooting for them, but until I see some results, I'll be doing nothing but spectating.

zandra117
Aug 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
As far as characters go in the next major non-handheld Phantasy Star they should make Newmans fighters again then bring in the human Espers as the major magic class.

Also I think SEGA should look at what Star Ocean did right because its soo similar to Phantasy Star and also got good reviews. SEGA is currently working on a game with Tri-Ace. They should learn from eachother.

landman
Aug 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
They should have to go back to Algol to do this, and Dezolians could be the healing race, and Motavians the tough race, and Newman the agile race. Androids would be the same as CASTs. I would love it lol

Blueblur
Aug 5, 2009, 03:25 PM
They should just keep it simple. PSU is overly complicated and would benefit from a simpler server and in-game city structure similar to PSO's. And I would hope that the next game would be more modular and capable of large updates that way the first few missions or quests will always be worth playing and the player population doesn't completely migrate to one specific area and mission (for example, Neudaiz and White Beast).

And do away with item synthesis. Phantasy Star Portable was really solid because of the changes and shows that maybe a future game won't be a mess from a design point of view.