PDA

View Full Version : How long do YOU think PSU will last on 360

Muffins2ya
Aug 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
ive heard it the servers are set to last to 2011 but idk the game goes on very strong imo, minding the matinence etc etc

Cooper
Aug 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
i heard theyre in debt and plan to end it this fall, but rumors spread like wildfire

Shou
Aug 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think the servers will stay up for a few more years. I'm guessing they make enough money to pay for GMs and server stuff. Don't believe anything you hear about PSU news, updates, or rumors on the 360. Read about those here. It's much more reliable information.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 5, 2009, 08:41 PM
i dont know about u but i hope it dies really soon so they can either make a new better phantasy star (like pso!) or just go back to there great work with pso episode 5 dont take this the wrong way i like psu fine its just not as good as pso by any stretch of the word.

autumn
Aug 5, 2009, 08:53 PM
You assume that if PSU and SEGA keep failing as they've been up until this point that there will be a game following PSU.

Dragwind
Aug 5, 2009, 09:36 PM
Sega has been dealing with financial troubles for years, this is nothing new. Even after they were bought by Sammy during PSOGC/PSOX times, they still went ahead and released games alongside PSU, PSP, PSZ, etc. There's a pretty good chance there will still be more Phantasy Star titles coming out.

The PSU servers are still doing pretty well in population (especially on the X360) compared to what the population was on PSOGC and PSOX. I doubt the servers will be going down anytime soon.

Blueblur
Aug 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
When you sit down and start cranking out numbers (for example, $10 x 12 months x at least 2,000 people = $240,000 a year in Guardian's License revenue) you'll see that they're making a decent amount of money from supporting a nearly three year old game. And I'm just guessing that the population of the 360 version is around the 2,000 mark. The other versions and regions probably bring in as much money if not more. Until the subscriber numbers drop significantly, to the point where the revenue isn't enough to turn a profit, the 360 PSU servers will be up and running.

If anything, we might see the U.S. PS2 and PC servers close up shop first as I have often read that their population isn't exactly bustling. I've never been on either of those versions so I'm not sure of the how populated their servers are though.

deso123
Aug 5, 2009, 10:58 PM
Sega has been dealing with financial troubles for years, this is nothing new. Even after they were bought by Sammy during PSOGC/PSOX times, they still went ahead and released games alongside PSU, PSP, PSZ, etc. There's a pretty good chance there will still be more Phantasy Star titles coming out.

The PSU servers are still doing pretty well in population (especially on the X360) compared to what the population was on PSOGC and PSOX. I doubt the servers will be going down anytime soon.

PSOX got hacked to pieces like 3 months after release. And then playing episode 2 for the first time and having to suffer through the temple area totally put me off from seeing how cool episode 2 really was. They really screwed that game up.

autumn
Aug 6, 2009, 12:29 AM
PC/PS2 when I was on for the Thanks Festa was 1 star to 1 1/2 stars peak time. Before the event Universe 2 was lucky to see a full star during peak hours. It was pretty empty and I can't imagine all this error 06x stuff has made it better ._.

Delete
Aug 6, 2009, 04:12 AM
i dont know about u but i hope it dies really soon so they can either make a new better phantasy star (like pso!) or just go back to there great work with pso episode 5 dont take this the wrong way i like psu fine its just not as good as pso by any stretch of the word.

I have actually not played PSO, and even if it was better...I would not know. PSU to me is what PSO is to you, and I hope they don't close the servers down anytime soon, PSU is not perfect, but something about it keeps you coming for more. ^^

mvffin
Aug 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
PSO was much better for its time, IMO, but now that I'm spoiled by Photon Arts, multitude of class types, and beasts, I can't really go back to PSO very well. If they remade PSO with lots of PSU elements added, I would go for it. I tried PS Zero for DS, didn't like it much. Its like its too old school for me. = \

RemiusTA
Aug 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
ive heard it the servers are set to last to 2011 but idk the game goes on very strong imo, minding the matinence etc etc

Longer than PC/PS2, thats for sure. When we start really going down, you can be sure the PC/PS2 version is already dead. PSZ is phail to me. Tried too hard to be PSO.

There's nothing wrong with PSU -- in all truth, to improve on the PS series all they need is an updated version of PSU with more event-like missions, a REALLY LONG Challenge Mode that ISNT spoon fed by sega (best thing of PSO ever, seriously), and next-gen graphics and animation quality.

However the main thing that pisses me off about PSU is its framerate problems and horrible soundtrack/sound effects. The only saving feature about PSU's soundtrack is when it uses music from the soundtrack of older games -- its original score is quite medicore really.

Golto
Aug 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
The vast majority of the server costs, bandwidth and power bills, are shared between the two NA server sets. So they won't shutdown the pc/ps2 servers until the 360 servers are shutdown. $4k+ a month isn't bad considering how little they do.

landman
Aug 6, 2009, 12:35 PM
The vast majority of the server costs, bandwidth and power bills, are shared between the two NA server sets. So they won't shutdown the pc/ps2 servers until the 360 servers are shutdown. $4k+ a month isn't bad considering how little they do.
PSO-X was shut down some years later than PSO GC. Same game, diferent servers.

Golto
Aug 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
PSO-X NA was released almost half a year later than pso-gc NA wasn't it? There was no event or update connection between the two like there is for our servers so you comparison is invalid.

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
If you want me answer this question honestly, I think the 360 and pc/ps2 versions has less than a year to go before they die out.
I don't want this to be the truth, but it's what I think. :(
(I really doubt it has less than that. I would say at the most, another 2 years)
That's only because of the shitty service we get, eventually, people will get fed up with it and either quit, or break the game.

Somnia
Aug 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
Less than a year.. ?

You DO know that Uni 1 on 360 keeps at least four stars almost all day around, even at four in the morning, even without an event running. During peak hours, both Uni 1 and 2 are almost full, with at least three other random universes having a full star.

360 servers will last almost as long as JP servers will.

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2009, 03:53 PM
Less than a year.. ?

You DO know that Uni 1 on 360 keeps at least four stars almost all day around, even at four in the morning, even without an event running. During peak hours, both Uni 1 and 2 are almost full, with at least three other random universes having a full star.

360 servers will last almost as long as JP servers will.

Maybe a year and a half.
I highly doubt any server in US/EU will last as long as the JP servers.

Katrina
Aug 6, 2009, 04:38 PM
Until they decide incoming funding is not worth development / server costs & time vested in the game.

tadtwisted
Aug 6, 2009, 05:01 PM
I think eventually the PC and xbox servers will merge but to do that they will have to put the PS2 side down for good. As we are aware xbox live wont let other systems on to their servers so by getting rid of PS2 they would only have to maintain one set of severs instead of two, I believe universe at war (which is also by sega) enables pc/xbox360 players to play together.

As for PSO being better im gonna have to say "NO" , I loved PSO but the game was very shallow just push one button and walk where PSU is deeper (not much deeper but deeper) where you have to get the right element/weapon/armor/ememy combo.