PDA

View Full Version : Game The Wackofather sign up thread (sign ups are over!)

SpikeOtacon
Aug 5, 2009, 05:25 PM
FKL is looking rather dead these days, which got me to thinking... maybe we need to spice things with a little death!

So what is The Wackofather? The Wackofather is going to be a slightly themed game of Mafia (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide). For a basic explanation, here's an excerpt from the wiki:

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mafia), and the Town (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Town). The Mafia's goal (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Win_condition) is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the Moderator (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Moderator) will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Night (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Night). During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and Day (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Day) begins.
During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch (http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Lynch); they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.

There are a ton of special roles, like vigilante, cop, godfather, etc. If we get enough people to join in I might throw in an extra role or two. But for now, we'll just stick with the simple Mafia/Townspeople roleset. Though I do plan on having the Godfather (aka the Wackofather) in the game anyways.

For a more visual explanation, as well as alternative roles, check out this flash (http://cataldo.freeshell.org/mafia/mafiascum04.swf).

So what says you guys? We gotta get the blood pumping here! We should get as many people as possible, otherwise the game will be over in a handful of day/night schedules.

astuarlen
Aug 5, 2009, 05:38 PM
I will sign my life away for you and the family, Papa Spike.

Randomness
Aug 5, 2009, 06:22 PM
Nice. I'm in.

Mixfortune
Aug 5, 2009, 06:37 PM
These roles are pretty interesting. Know we won't be messing with the super complicated stuff, but Naive Doctor and Jester are definitely chuckle worthy.

Sign me up I suppose, what's the general timeframe for each phase looking like?

Tessu
Aug 5, 2009, 06:37 PM
I call Mafia.

Wait, shit...

SpikeOtacon
Aug 5, 2009, 06:45 PM
Each phase's length goes on until all of the events for each phase are completed. So, day can go on until the discussion/argument ends and a person is voted in for lynching (or being "tried" in an alternate ruleset). Then the night phase can continue until the mafia have decided who their target is, and any other nighttime actions.

Nai_Calus
Aug 5, 2009, 06:56 PM
Oh cousin this sounds appropriately maggoty. I shall participate.

Tact
Aug 5, 2009, 07:41 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to post in FKL again...if only to play this game.

Count me in. :wacko:

Leviathan
Aug 5, 2009, 08:21 PM
I want in.

As long as it isn't like the Skype Chats as of lately.

Leviathan
Aug 5, 2009, 08:23 PM
Picture related.

[spoiler-box]http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp251/GabbyLX/3-6Moofia.png[/spoiler-box]

Alnet
Aug 5, 2009, 08:47 PM
How delightful. Ok, I'll play.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm all in.

Randomness
Aug 5, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to post in FKL again...if only to play this game.

Count me in. :wacko:

YES!!!!!

Spike, you just earned :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: for getting Tact in on this.

fronebullare
Aug 5, 2009, 09:47 PM
Lord Fronebullare will play your little game.

Gentlemen
Aug 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
I'll give it a shot.

autumn
Aug 6, 2009, 12:54 AM
I'm game. Always looking for something new to do on te internets.

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2009, 01:39 AM
I'll do it. :D

astuarlen
Aug 6, 2009, 01:54 AM
I'll give it a shot.

I don't trust this guy.

Mixfortune
Aug 6, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't trust this guy.

You won't get the heat off you so easily with misdirection like that, missy.

astuarlen
Aug 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
You won't get the heat off you so easily with misdirection like that, missy.

Shut your face-clam or I'll ice ya next--and I'm not talking about buttercream.

TalHex
Aug 6, 2009, 01:19 PM
I shant be playing (I'm involved in too many rps and mafia games as is on another site), however I shall have fun watching you all tear each other to bits.

Outrider
Aug 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm yes?

I'm still not sure how the timing works - I feel like I won't be on FKL during the appropriate times.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm yes?

I'm still not sure how the timing works - I feel like I won't be on FKL during the appropriate times.

There's really no timing, each phase lasts until all of the conditions per phase are complete. So, the day phase will not end until there is a majority vote on one person to lynch. The night phase does not end until (for our basic rules) the mafia decides who to place the hit on. During the day phase everyone can talk in the main thread, but during the night phase no one is allowed to post in the thread until the day phase begins.

So a day phase could go on for a few hours, or a few days depending on how much people want to get at it.

EDIT: And with that, we have enough members for our game! I'll start getting things set up.

Lance813
Aug 6, 2009, 09:37 PM
I wanna play! ;~;

Randomness
Aug 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
*eagerly anticipates the beginning of round one*

Tessu
Aug 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
If you didn't get a PM, you're a citizen. That's what I was told, anyhow.

Randomness
Aug 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Uh... thats... just lazy, imo. Is it that hard to mass-PM everyone?

SpikeOtacon
Aug 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
Except mass PMing all of the townies at once would allow them to look at the PM list to see who else it went to.

Duh.

Also as for the game starting as a night phase (yes I heard about your complaint), it's hard to start on a day phase since no one of value had died so you can't argue any points now can you?

And more to the point, the game is about confusion and mindgames. If the game thread is open and you got no PM, you should assume that you have no role other than a regular townie.

Randomness
Aug 7, 2009, 05:16 PM
Well, that does seem like the kind of thing that should be explicitly stated then.

astuarlen
Aug 7, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sure you won't have to worry about your role too long, Randomness. :E

Leviathan
Aug 7, 2009, 10:15 PM
Aw fuck I'm gonna die first.

Randomness
Aug 8, 2009, 12:08 AM
You mean asked where role PMs were?

I think I had a perfectly natural reason to do that. Even if that was Spike using c/p, it doesn't change the fact that it leads people to believe they'll be told what they are... It would have taken all of 5 minutes to PM the townies. (30 second mandatory interval)

Edit:I'd actually meant to bring this up earlier today, but I couldn't find it to quote... (and wasn't entirely sure it was there) Also:

I realize that this probably makes me seem like a jerk, but frankly, I don't like getting offed because the person in charge doesn't pay attention to what he's posting. The posted rules stated clearly that everyone would be getting messaged (Again, I know it was a c/p), so it would be natural to ask what was going on... and then I get offed because... *ranting*

Edit2 (I'm just adding on as things come to mind):I honestly suspected I'd be dying first, because of the inherent advantage in an obvious alignment. But at the point where I finally got a response, it was rather late. I can't delete other people's posts, and there's nothing I can post to fix the problem. I can do nothing, and risk getting offed, or I can call attention to my post, which is just as bad. Frankly, I'm surprised it took 8 hours for the mafia to choose to kill me.

Yeah. I also PM'ed him. He didn't respond until AFTER Tessu did, and it was still only in the thread. (For the record, he was online for the entire period)

Since this is probably the better place for this... (not that I'm any less pissed about dying because of what, from my point of view, is either laziness or lack of foresight)

Edit4?:I have to post this somewhere, can't really discuss it anywhere else, and speaking>brooding

Edit:Since when were corpses incapable of talking around here, anyways?

Mixfortune
Aug 8, 2009, 12:21 AM
Ugh, messed up and it ate my post.

Like I said I somewhat agree about the whole death before action thing, but balance issues will likely be adjusted in any future games. Your case has been made and repeating it over and over won't get anywhere, so seriously... stop. Continuing this would just likely bring the game and everyone else down with you.

Issues with how the gameplay can change should be brought up PRIVATELY, with SPIKE, and in a CIVIL manner. Next games would likely flow better, this is the first attempt for crying out loud.

But just pause a sec and think about it. You goofed a bit, fine, but fixable with the right wording. Instead you got defensive and pushed it... and certainly didn't help your case for reading comprehension by making a continued deal of it in the game thread...

Ryna
Aug 8, 2009, 08:18 AM
I've cleaned up this thread. If you have a question about your role in the game, it'd be best to send a Private Message to the Game Master. Posts containing personal attacks will be removed.

astuarlen
Aug 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry Tact. Guys, QUIT LOOKING SO SUSPICIOUS. ;-;

Randomness
Aug 10, 2009, 01:00 PM

It was obvious Tact was clean.

Outrider
Aug 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Wait, I thought the point of the game was to kill Tact.

Don't we win now?

astuarlen
Aug 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
I like your way of thinking, Outrider. Change the rules, save the world, win the game. Booyah.

So now I'm not just some overly-suspicious schmuck with -10 credibility; I'm the Town Hero. Let 10,000 commemorative coins bloom!

Randomness
Aug 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
By the way, the mafia wins if Mafia>Townies.

Pretty obvious why.

Weeaboolits
Aug 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
It wasn't me, it was the one-eyed, one-armed, one-legged man! You can't pin this on me, I'm innocent I say!

Tessu
Aug 10, 2009, 02:19 PM

I don't know, I mean, if he put "Mafia" in his title he had it coming. There's just no reason to do that and NOT look incredibly suspicious.

Outrider
Aug 10, 2009, 02:19 PM
By the way, the mafia wins if Mafia>Townies.

Pretty obvious why.

You care far too much about a game that nobody should care about ever.

The only way to win a game like this is to not play in the first place. The only strategy is to ignore the inherently broken rules from the outset. Players on both teams can think they're somehow outsmarting each other all they want, but at the end of the day, that's not the case and it really means less than nothing.

So lighten up already.

And that's the story of how I was next in line to get killed in a forum game.

astuarlen
Aug 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
I don't know, I mean, if he put "Mafia" in his title he had it coming. There's just no reason to do that and NOT look incredibly suspicious.

Dressing "provocatively" = had it coming?

Rest assured, we'll hold a nice funeral for you, complete with man-eating flowers, dancing bears, and a magic show.
Then we'll dig up your body and sell it to a man goes by the name o'Science.

Edit: Bugger, I'm dead. X_x

Tystys03
Aug 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
You care far too much about a game that nobody should care about ever.

The only way to win a game like this is to not play in the first place. The only strategy is to ignore the inherently broken rules from the outset. Players on both teams can think they're somehow outsmarting each other all they want, but at the end of the day, that's not the case and it really means less than nothing.

So lighten up already.

So....does that mean I'm winning?

Sweet.

Outrider
Aug 10, 2009, 03:15 PM
So....does that mean I'm winning?

Sweet.

Well, except that you were role-playing in your thread a moment ago, which is a guaranteed anti-win.