PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 Odd Grinder Base synth glitch

Mikura
Aug 15, 2009, 08:01 PM
So I'm here making S grinders with 71 bases in my PM storage and several boards lined up to be made. Production capacity is 5 per board, yet it's only allowing me to make up to a maximum of 2 at a time. First time I've ever had this happen to me before. It's really strange. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Ellipsis...
Aug 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
So I'm here making S grinders with 71 bases in my PM storage and several boards lined up to be made. Production capacity is 5 per board, yet it's only allowing me to make up to a maximum of 2 at a time. First time I've ever had this happen to me before. It's really strange. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Yeah it's because you have 97 of some sort of grinder (S+1, S+2, whatever) in your PM or in your inventory. Since you can only hold 99 of a grinder, the game will only make up to 99 of any specific grinder. I dunno if this was to avoid a glitch or something but it might've been.

Mikura
Aug 15, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah it's because you have 97 of some sort of grinder (S+1, S+2, whatever) in your PM or in your inventory. Since you can only hold 99 of a grinder, the game will only make up to 99 of any specific grinder. I dunno if this was to avoid a glitch or something but it might've been.

Well, that would explain why it suddenly went away when I put the 99 S+3s I had in my shop. <_< But you're right, I think it was to fix some grinder glitch people were exploiting awhile back.

Dhylec
Aug 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, that would explain why it suddenly went away when I put the 99 S+3s I had in my shop. <_< But you're right, I think it was to fix some grinder glitch people were exploiting awhile back.
Indeed. It was fixed to prevent the grinder glitch that 'forced' the game to make +10 grinders only.

Mikura
Aug 15, 2009, 08:48 PM
Indeed. It was fixed to prevent the grinder glitch that 'forced' the game to make +10 grinders only.

Ahh. I knew it was something like that, but I was fuzzy on the details.

ChibiBecca
Aug 15, 2009, 10:01 PM
oh, that's why? i had the some thing happen to me a while back, thought it was the game realising i'd made a few higher level grinds and limiting me in case i got any more. glad to know it's deliberate for other reasons.

pinkace
Aug 15, 2009, 10:14 PM
that was the S+10 glitch!? I wanna buy the kid who discovered that a beer.

Delete
Aug 15, 2009, 10:24 PM

Wow, that is actually brilliant. Like I know it would get you banned, but still amazing for someone to think of that.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 15, 2009, 10:38 PM
that was the S+10 glitch!? I wanna buy the kid who discovered that a beer.

One of many. The 'serious' one, that resulted in thousands of stacks of S+10s (mainly on 360), was a glitch in the Delivery system.

Dhylec
Aug 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
One of many. The 'serious' one, that resulted in thousands of stacks of S+10s (mainly on 360), was a glitch in the Delivery system.
Heh, that was a much easier & cheaper way to make S+10 grinders.

Dragwind
Aug 16, 2009, 01:11 AM
I've had this problem happen a couple times. I just ended up deleting the boards because I find it to be pretty annoying.

desturel
Aug 16, 2009, 02:00 AM
Since both grinder glitches are fixed, I guess it's not a problem to explain why they needed to be fixed.

The old glitch was around from the beginning of the game. The method was to fill up your PM and your character so you didn't have any inventory space for anything but +10 grinders. Then when anything besides a +10 would come out, the syth would fail because there was no more space for the grinders and you grinder bases would not be used. That meant with a stack of 99 grinders you could get 99 +10s... if you had the patience to sit through the hours and hours of time it would require to get 99 +10s through natural means.

The first fix for this method was to make it so that boards that had been used once to make grinders could no longer create anything about +5. Of course this solution just meant that people could just buy a new board and overwrite the old failed board (provided they filled their PM with boards.

This was the same fix that was used to keep people from abusing the 100% syth weapons to make 50% every time (in other words around Firebreak when people were making the 50% bear claws). So that should give you a time frame on how long this has been around.

The second fix was to make it so you couldn't create grinders at all unless you had space for any of them. Meaning if you had 99 A+1 in your PM and 99 A+1 on your character, you can't even start the synth since there would be no room for an A+1 grinder.

The grinder glitch that ruined the economy on the 360 was different. The old grinder glitch was far too expensive and time consuming for anyone but the most dedicated to abuse. The "S+10 glitch" was fast and cheap.

ChibiBecca
Aug 16, 2009, 11:54 AM
wait, so if i want to synth a grinder at anything higher then +5, i have to grind all 5 at once per board, rather then one at a time? not wanting to glitch (even accidently), just wondering how synthing works in general when it comes to grinders.

desturel
Aug 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
wait, so if i want to synth a grinder at anything higher then +5, i have to grind all 5 at once per board, rather then one at a time?

I believe the limitation only comes into affect if you start a synth and then stop it before it finishes which results in the auto-failure. When you only synth one item at a time the board has been used, but an item has been returned, thus completing the required cycle. Of course if you're really worried about it, you can take a bunch of grinder base C and try it out for yourself.