PDA

View Full Version : PC What gamepad/controller do you use?

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
I feel like resubbing to PSU for a little while because I haven't played since v.1. I bought AoI a while back when it came out, but after all of the negativity around it I decided against it.

Now I feel like giving it a shot, 10 bucks isn't alot of money to test on a game that I already have. But here is the question:

What do you use for a controller on PSU?

(Links would be nice as well.)

Ryna
Aug 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
I generally prefer using a good keyboard. If that isn't available, I get out a wired Xbox 360 controller.

Chuck_Norris
Aug 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
360 controller is your best bet. Though, if you're running anything lower than Vista 64 bit, you could use a PS3 controller, which in my opinion, is a lot more comfortable.

Dhylec
Aug 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
I use PS1/2 controller via usb adapter. It works fine for PSU & other computer games I play.

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
Wait, so I couldn't use a PS3 controller if I'm running 64-bit?

biggabertha
Aug 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
I use a PS2 pad hooked up with a USB to PS2 controller (so my cable length is like, 3m (9-10') long when I play PSU on a PC/laptop.

I mainly play on a PS2 so PS2 controllers are best for me - makes sense why a PS3 pad would be nice, heh heh.

RAGNAGELPPOD
Aug 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
I use a Logitech controller. The geniric kind found in most Best Buy stores, or you can order it online. It's built like a ps2 controller except the buttons have numbers instead of letters. L1=5, Triangle= 4, etc.

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
I was thinking about using a Playstation style controller. I'll probably go with that because I'm used to the way it feels, once the bank sends me my new debit card (lost my last one, derp.) I'll get an account goin'.

Thanks guys.

Neith
Aug 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
I use a wired 360 controller too. It's really comfortable, and decent quality. The only drawback is that to get the trigger buttons working, you have to use custom drivers which can be a pain to get working. Once it's setup though...I wouldn't go back.

Alnet
Aug 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
I use this (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Rumblepad-Vibration-Feedback/dp/B0002XJBGE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1250556513&sr=8-2). I'd use a PS3 controller, but this version of my OS doesn't work right with it, sadly.

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
I actually just bought a wired Madkatz 360 controller, I'm about to test it now.

Akihito
Aug 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.amazon.com/NYKO-TECHNOLOGIES-80650-Airflow-Controller/dp/B0006NGY9C

Thats mine, the Nyko Airflo EX. Its a nice controller with bigger buttons and an airflow system in it. But its also a big controller(its just right for me since I have big hands) tho someone with smaller hands would have a hard time going from button to button

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
I just tested it out and I'm glad to say that I like it. I can't really find a difference between setting 1 and 2 though.

Rust
Aug 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
I use a NGC controller, but that's only because I didn't have any other type of controller at hand.
Not the best option, but it does the trick pretty well for the only few games I play with a gamepad on my laptop.

Mikura
Aug 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
I use the generic Logitech Dual Action gamepads. They work fine for PSU, but it seems they generally screw up after a year or two. I'm on my second one now and it keeps disconnecting from the PC every time you move the USB cable a little bit. If it ever goes out completely, I'm definitely going to get that cordless one on Amazon. It's more expensive, but it's probably more reliable.

Lance813
Aug 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Sweet, I'm starting to like this. I don't want to waste my time on story mode though...

I can't wait for my replacement card to come in now. :wacko:

My only beef with this thing is that there is like 10 feet of cable with it, haha.

Genji
Aug 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
I used to use a Logitech Dual Action controller. Now I just stick to using my Sixaxis PS3 controller since it collects dust now that I have a Dualshock one.

Dragwind
Aug 17, 2009, 10:28 PM
I mostly use PS1 and PS2 contollers via a USB adapter myself.

darkante
Aug 17, 2009, 10:43 PM
PS1 or PS2 via USB adapter.

Volcompat321
Aug 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
Wait, so I couldn't use a PS3 controller if I'm running 64-bit?

I have 64-bit Windows, and I use a PS3 controller.
The program I use is MotionJoy, you can youtube it.

Chuck_Norris
Aug 17, 2009, 11:54 PM
I have 64-bit Windows, and I use a PS3 controller.
The program I use is MotionJoy, you can youtube it.

Oh? They made drivers for it finally? Last I checked there were none.

Volcompat321
Aug 18, 2009, 12:03 AM
DreXxiN actually gave me the link to one a while back.
It's annoying to do, but it works, and even has SIXAXIS(not that any game on PC has use for it)
But, I think the 64-bit(as of now) is the only driver with SIXAXIS.
Also, every time you restart your computer, you have to hit F8 a bunch and run the PC with
"disable driver signature enforcement" or whatever. So it's a bit of a hassle, but it works.

Svaltus
Aug 18, 2009, 12:19 AM
Actualy one ps2 controler using one usb-pc-ps2 adapter.

i have one x360 wireles control but i need adaptation for use this in my PC and psu game.

Zeek123
Aug 18, 2009, 04:12 AM
PS3 controller ftw!

SabZero
Aug 18, 2009, 04:27 AM
Logitech Rumblepad 2

Although since AotI came out, the rumble doesn't work anymore. I think it's important to have 6 buttons and four bumpers, and a digital pad, two analog sticks.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 10:40 AM
PS3. It took me an hour to configure it right.

Volcompat321
Aug 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Wow. Took me like 10 minutes. lol
But, I was used to playing on PS2, so I knew which buttons were supposed to be which.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
Yea but I'm like...OCD about my controls. I don't know why. Just am.

Lance813
Aug 18, 2009, 11:29 AM
Yea but I'm like...OCD about my controls. I don't know why. Just am.

So am I. Everything has to be in the right spot or else I can't use it. I also didn't want to pay 50~60 dollars for a real PS3 controller, but I am surprised at how well this Madkatz 360 controller works.

Volcompat321
Aug 18, 2009, 11:31 AM
Lmao. I started out using a 360 controller, it sucked balls.
I bought a PS3, then a friend(Zeek123 up there) told me about drivers for the controller. That was when I had 32-bit Windows, so I hooked it up.
Then, I switched to Windows7 64-bit, and had to use the 64-bit MotionJoy drivers.
They work great for Win7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit.
So, now I use that for all the games I play on PC.

Dhylec
Aug 18, 2009, 12:51 PM
Here's my key set-up for my PS2 controller on PC. It's the same mapping as PSU on PS2 console's.
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/kb-joy-1.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

The_Brimada
Aug 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
I started off with logitech but shock pads kept breakin. Used 360 wireless controller and couldn't set my triggers. Now I'm using a PS3 controller, the best and easiest to use IMO.

MadDogg
Aug 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
Whats the best place to order one of these converters to use a PS2 controller on a PC? Would love to have one of those to use with my many emulators.

biggabertha
Aug 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
I walked into a GAME store here in the UK and just bought one. I'm guessing Amazon will probably have them available in the USA.

Yeah, that way of configuring the controller is very similar to a PS2's configuration with the exception of the cancel button and extra info buttons being slightly different (Cancel on PS2 is triangle, extra info is on square) but I'm just being anal/pedantic...

It's one of the main reasons why I can't bring myself to play PSU on the PC..! >.<! Well, that and the cost of getting a strong enough PC to handle Frame Skip 0...

Mikura
Aug 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
I walked into a GAME store here in the UK and just bought one. I'm guessing Amazon will probably have them available in the USA.

Yeah, that way of configuring the controller is very similar to a PS2's configuration with the exception of the cancel button and extra info buttons being slightly different (Cancel on PS2 is triangle, extra info is on square) but I'm just being anal/pedantic...

It's one of the main reasons why I can't bring myself to play PSU on the PC..! >.<! Well, that and the cost of getting a strong enough PC to handle Frame Skip 0...

Even if you had to use Frame Skip 1, the performance is vastly superior to PS2. PSU is really not a demanding game for most PCs as far as system requirements are concerned.

Finalzone
Aug 19, 2009, 01:56 AM
Logitech Rumblepad 2

Although since AotI came out, the rumble doesn't work anymore. I think it's important to have 6 buttons and four bumpers, and a digital pad, two analog sticks.

Rumble still works depending the situation.

Here's my key set-up for my PS2 controller on PC. It's the same mapping as PSU on PS2 console's.
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/kb-joy-1.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Identical to my setup using Logitech Rumble Pad 2.

Aeris
Aug 19, 2009, 02:42 AM
I use PS to USB (meaning i use a PSX, PS1 or PS2 contoller on computer) like Dhylec said.

Genoa
Aug 21, 2009, 03:27 AM
I use a wired 360 pad. I like everything about it EXCEPT the fking D-pad, seriously? Didn't the past teach us how bad this D-pad design was?
[spoiler-box]http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/systems/gencontroller.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/xbox.joystiq.com/media/2009/02/d-pad-ask.jpg[/spoiler-box]
I used a PS3 controller for a while, but the sensitivity on the 2nd analog stick I would use for items was ... well... too sensitive <_<
I wish there was a driver that would allow me to create a larger dead-zone for the sticks. If they never make one, then I'll stick with the 360 pad, or until there's an awesome PC controller.

Kenbog
Aug 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
I am using a wired x360 controler,
I wish i could connect my gamecube controler(best controler ever made) to my pc...
But cant find any usb connectors for it

Genoa
Aug 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VM05S/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Gen2000
Aug 22, 2009, 02:27 PM
I use PS3 controller. Just plugged it right in the computer and it worked. I mapped buttons to mimic the control setup from the PS2 version since that's what I'm used to.

Zeek123
Aug 23, 2009, 01:07 AM
hahaha.
And here I was thinking that I was the only one that ever liked that controller. Never much cared for the whole spring loaded L and R buttons, but felt way more comfortable than a PS2 controller ever did.
One question though: Wouldn't you have a hard time actually using it in PSU? I main a PS3 controller and use every one of the buttons, including L3 and R3.

Edit: The Gamecube Controller I mean. Sorry about that.

DreXxiN
Aug 23, 2009, 02:00 AM
Dual Action, I used PS3 controller but it stopped working. 360 Pad is fucking terrible, worst D pad in 15 years of gaming I've ever known. I'll try getting my ps3 drivers up again.

Also at Volc: There's certain ways to play certain systems on PC's that make SIXAXIS surprisingly useful. =P.

Also, for those who can't get triggers to work(360) and can't find the epic drivers that were removed, I know ways to make them work ALMOST as planned (But you have to have controller set to Keyboard in options), I'll type it out if people ask but right now I'm in an S4 game lol.

Ecchi
Aug 23, 2009, 04:15 AM
Bought a newer model ps2 controller for my pc, Wutch goes to my ps2 usb adapter for my pc. Rather nice really, You can go hours playing with it an not worry about getting your hands all sweaty an what not due to the nice material its made out of unsure of what it is tho.

Ail
Aug 23, 2009, 07:27 AM
i used the psx controller with adapter for more than 2 years. then i decided to change and switch to a xbox360 one. after the installation of the drivers to make the triggers work as digital buttons, imo i can say for sure that it's the best pad. learning how to move while using the menu is a bit more difficult than with the psx one (due the position of the left analog stick) but after a bit of practice it gives you full mobility in both menu and character :)

3 Roses
Aug 23, 2009, 09:24 PM
In the Days I played the PC, I started with a PS2 adapter but it kept breaking. Then I switched to a wired xbox 360 controller but the triggers didn't work. And then I switched to a PS3 controller which I loved and I will still use.

Volcompat321
Aug 23, 2009, 09:39 PM
Dual Action, I used PS3 controller but it stopped working. 360 Pad is fucking terrible, worst D pad in 15 years of gaming I've ever known. I'll try getting my ps3 drivers up again.

Also at Volc: There's certain ways to play certain systems on PC's that make SIXAXIS surprisingly useful. =P.

Also, for those who can't get triggers to work(360) and can't find the epic drivers that were removed, I know ways to make them work ALMOST as planned (But you have to have controller set to Keyboard in options), I'll type it out if people ask but right now I'm in an S4 game lol.

Do you need the 64-bit drivers for PS3 controller again?
Mine hasn't stopped working, so you should be able to use it.
Also, remember with 64-bit you have to use the "Disable driver signature enforcement" option upon restarting your PC.
You have to do it EVERY time you restart your PC for some reason.
:(
It's a hassle, but it works. Google MotionJoy.
I haven't played any PC games that can use SIXAXIS other than PSOBB.
I can walk forward by leaning forward, and move left and right by, well you know.
It's too much work though, I'd rather hit the left, down, right, up on the stick lol.

DreXxiN
Aug 23, 2009, 10:43 PM
Do you need the 64-bit drivers for PS3 controller again?
Mine hasn't stopped working, so you should be able to use it.
Also, remember with 64-bit you have to use the "Disable driver signature enforcement" option upon restarting your PC.
You have to do it EVERY time you restart your PC for some reason.
:(
It's a hassle, but it works. Google MotionJoy.
I haven't played any PC games that can use SIXAXIS other than PSOBB.
I can walk forward by leaning forward, and move left and right by, well you know.
It's too much work though, I'd rather hit the left, down, right, up on the stick lol.

I know man, I'm the one that told you about it, remember? :P

And it's not that it doesn't work, it's just that I think my USB is bad and has constant disconnects, Ah well.