PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to the console/PC Ver. When the PSP2...

Princess1977
Aug 18, 2009, 02:05 PM
What do you guys think will happen to AOTI for the PC/PS2 an 360 when the PSP2 comes out?
I hear that the JP side has done all the story missions. So I made a POLL to find out what you guys think. Will they add more to the story of AOTI from the PSP2 ver? Or make a whole new game? Please Vote and say why you picked that answer. Thanks
Btw heres the link to info about PSP2.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167653

Heres some info I read about PSP2.
http://www.pso-world.com/news/0375-famitsu-reveals-phantasy-star-portable-2
Thanks S.T.H and EspioKaos ^^

Dragwind
Aug 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
They'll probably keep doing what they've been doing- every so often add new content. If you're talking specifically about story, they might end up doing some of those special story missions like Innocent Girl where it goes back in the past.

Princess1977
Aug 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
They'll probably keep doing what they've been doing- every so often add new content. If you're talking specifically about story, they might end up doing some of those special story missions like Innocent Girl where it goes back in the past.

Thanks so much Dragwind I hope your right. I would hate to think I worked hard on chars. and them just do away with AOTI. :(

Akihito
Aug 18, 2009, 02:55 PM
They wont stop support for the PC/PS2 side. Japan will continue getting updates and as long as PSU is profitable on the English side(Remember our profits are mixed with Xbox 360 profits) we'll continue to recieve content. If PSP:2 recieves new stuff and new graphics, I'd assume we'd get another Supplement Update or something.

Umberger
Aug 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
If PSP:2 recieves new stuff and new graphics, I'd assume we'd get another Supplement Update or something.

PSP:2 is practically a new game, judging from the very limited info we've received so far, for instance:

* Takes place three years after the initial game.
* You are not a member of the Guardians, but instead part of a civilian group called the Little Wings running a space colony called Clad-6.
* Expanded story mode in response to complaints that the first game's story was pretty short and sparse.
* Single player will supposedly be more of a challenge.
* New monsters.
* Three times as many missions.
* 'Fully redone character designs' for the default classes.
* New moves, including charged gunshots, emergency and dodge and single-handed shields.
* Multiplayer missions that will involve more than simply 'slaying monsters'.

Credit to Mewn/1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175625) for the above.

As much as I would love for them to package that all in an expansion much like AoI was, I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Anduril
Aug 18, 2009, 03:02 PM
If anything we'll just get a few new weapons that fit in with the weapon classes we already have, so I wouldn't expect to see the shields and especially not the dodge feature being added to PSU.

Evila
Aug 18, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, after reading about all the new stuff that Phantasy Star Portable 2 will have, it made me wonder what it will mean for Phantasy Star Universe. I honestly expected PSP2 to just be more PSU stuff with some new things sprinkled in like before, but it looks like they're going all out. So will PSU go on as it is? What new stuff can they add? Will PS2 support be dropped so we can get bigger patches? Are they gonna let it run its course and then just present a sequel? I'll just wait and see instead of thinking too hard about it... XD

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 18, 2009, 03:12 PM
We will get new stuff as per usual so no worries. Then when PSU is all wrapped up it will be shot out of a cannon while "Ring of Fire" by Jonny Cash plays in the background.

Chibi_psu
Aug 18, 2009, 04:09 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/59/Coolface_thinks.jpg
Some people around here has so much faith in sega lol....Yes jp had an update with psp content....but think for a second...did they added the new boss mission that psp had? Same will happen with psp2.......

MadDogg
Aug 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'm thinking a new expansion will come out for the 360 version at least, to add the new stages and weapons from the PSP2 version. As long as the population keeps filling up 2 universes plus more during events, they are going to milk the players for all they are worth.

Allison_W
Aug 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
If anything we'll just get a few new weapons that fit in with the weapon classes we already have, so I wouldn't expect to see the shields and especially not the dodge feature being added to PSU.

Speaking of dodging, every game needs God Hand's dodging system. PSU would be 1000x as awesome if you saw people ducking under Bil de Vear spins, backflipping away from Deljaban knockback blows, and side-dashing out of the way of charges.

Then again, if they added that, I'd starve to death from never logging off.

As far as expansions go... if it looks like it'll be worth the money (AotI certainly was), I'll dig right in. Begs the question of what it might include that would put it on AotI's level, though.

Criss
Aug 18, 2009, 05:38 PM
If PSP2 sells well (and I suspect it will from the info Umberger just posted), I expect PSU to be fully redone in PSP2 style for the newer generation consoles and PC like PSO had back then with Blue Burst. Now THAT would be awesome.

Tetsaru
Aug 18, 2009, 05:51 PM
At this point, I can't really say for sure, but I DO know that the state of PSU/AotI will continue to get worse over time unless Sega does something serious to improve upon it. They'd better hurry up and get that "supplemental update" or w/e it's called rolling soon, along with a shitload of other stuff. Guardians Cash isn't the answer, either; that stuff should be FREE to everyone, or else a 1-time only fee... but imo it's just the same old crap we've been getting, just some new tidbits to monotonously kill monsters with... old-school PSO-style weapons that should've been available months ago, so at least some people would get more nostalgic value out of the game, if anything. =/

As far as PSP2... well, it's too early to say, plus I don't know who's developing it. I just hope it's not Sonic Team, otherwise they're just wasting time and money to crank out another lackluster game for people like me to facepalm at. Show me some gameplay first. If all the talk about it is true, well... maybe there's hope. I would have liked to have seen a good NON-handheld online Phantasy Star game, though...

Phaesphora
Aug 18, 2009, 07:29 PM
To be honest, I'll be more interested to see what PSP2 does to the PSUJP community. I expect the drift to PSP2 may lead to the extinction of content updates for PSU. The idea of an 8th-gen PS ORPG utilizing PSP2 mechanics doesn't seem to me to be all that far-fetched, but I suppose it depends on how much money they can wring out of the NA market over the next 18 months. Possibly.

Squirrel3D
Aug 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
How bout just add in things for missions that don't even have an S2 yet? And how bout stepping up big time for the U.S. folks with a huge update and hopefully we finally catch up to japan eventually?

ashley50
Aug 18, 2009, 10:52 PM
The game will stay till ST decides to pull the plug on the servers. duh

Until that happens I'll play on the PC/PS2 side

NekoPanzer
Aug 19, 2009, 01:46 AM
PSU will most likely go on another 2 years, while ST eeks out updates to keep it alive. After that, they may choose to put out a new next-gen PS ORPG based on PS:P2 and anything else they've put out since then.

From what I can tell, SEGA doesn't seem to have the resources or capability to create or support a next-gen ORPG at the moment. That's why they put out the next installment on PSP. The handheld market is much smaller and less demanding than console, so they can get away with a lot less. They can even separate enough content for 1 console title into 3 handheld titles. Best case scenario, they'll create 2-3 handheld titles, then combine it all plus some into a future console title.

I think that's the best we can hope for from SEGA as it is now.

Arika
Aug 19, 2009, 02:12 AM
"Add more content from the PSP2 to AOTI" of course, that is what they have been doing.

add new boss? easy, then can do it whenever they want, since they can actually make download contents now. They are just lazy and like to make progress slowly so they haven't add that new boss yet.

KuroShinnen
Aug 19, 2009, 02:34 AM
I really doubt that PSP2 will have any impact what so ever on PSU aside from a few B rank weapons from the PSP2 game coming into PSU.

Burnsro
Aug 19, 2009, 01:39 PM
Isn't Phantasy Star Portable the best selling Phantasy Star since PSO? Why would SEGA bother going to consoles when they know that the PSP system is their cashcow. We are not getting another PS game for the DS considering the difference in sales compared to the PSP. The only thing I could see is a PC/Wii/360 release near the end of Wii's lifespan when it has as high of a userbase as PS2.

Princess1977
Aug 19, 2009, 04:38 PM
Isn't Phantasy Star Portable the best selling Phantasy Star since PSO? Why would SEGA bother going to consoles when they know that the PSP system is their cashcow. We are not getting another PS game for the DS considering the difference in sales compared to the PSP. The only thing I could see is a PC/Wii/360 release near the end of Wii's lifespan when it has as high of a userbase as PS2.

good point but, with the Wii we can hope they do away with the friend code system.

pinkace
Aug 19, 2009, 04:58 PM

It is nowhere near a cash-cow. That term is thrown around too much. A cash cow is essentially something you can always milk for extra money, a reliable but small source of income. At the moment, Sega has no cash cows.

DreXxiN
Aug 21, 2009, 05:10 PM
good point but, with the Wii we can hope they do away with the friend code system.

I really hope so, otherwise it's useless. I'm still worried on how Monster Hunter 3 is going to work, albeit I haven't done much research on it.

Project Natal will probably end up killing the Wii anyway, and I say this as an unbiased Non 360/PS3/Former Wii owner.

Volcompat321
Aug 21, 2009, 05:18 PM
I don't think PS:P2 will do anything to PSU.
PS:P1 didn't so why would 2?

unicorn
Aug 21, 2009, 08:08 PM
I don't think PS:P2 will do anything to PSU.
PS:P1 didn't so why would 2?

Because PS:P2 is kinda an online game. PS:P was really an offline game. Also, PS:P2 has a LOT more going on for it than PS:P and PSU.

DreXxiN
Aug 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
As far as we know it's FREE online as well, with more content and more to do. And GOD that interface is sexier.

that cast named kai
Aug 21, 2009, 09:48 PM
hmmmmm........

not really sure what will happen

although if they do another console title, it might be worthwhile to see

i suppose since it seems that the jump from PSO to PSU opened up the door for a lot of good things in terms of the look and feel of the game, so it might be that PS(X) might bring about some even cooler things to the series, (i for one am hoping that they mix up the battle system some more if so, maybe something like mix and match dual melee weapon or gun usage, i have always wanted to see what a dagger/claw, mechgun/crossbow, or even twin slicers combo would be like, SEGA can you make this fanboy's dream come true)

not that i still don't enjoy PSU but i am not sure to what extent another expansion would have for changing the way the game plays, (same play style with new stuff it seems)