PDA

View Full Version : PSU, PSZ, and Ruby at the Toronto Fan Expo 2009!

RubyEclipse
Aug 20, 2009, 04:03 PM
Posting this over here at PSOW as well. :) From the official boards:

Hey everyone,

Great news for those of you who live a little bit north of the US - we're going to your area this time! I recently got word that I'll be flying up to Toronto, Canada, next week for the 2009 Fan Expo to promote some of our upcoming games - Bayonetta, Phantasy Star Zero, and Sands of Destruction! If you're interested in seeing what PSZ is all about, it will be in English at the show and fully playable for people who visit!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2548/3838682008_0bdf698888.jpg

For PSU fans specifically, we'll be hosting some special Phantasy Star Trivia, the winner of which will be going home with a rare Phantasy Star figurine as a prize for their dedication. Also, anyone who cosplays PSU or any of the PS games will score an inflatable rappy! You'll have to find me at the show to get the goods, so I'll be posting times next week when I'll be chilling at the SEGA booth to meet everyone.

I've posted all the details here on the official blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/08/19/were-going-to-canada-see-you-at-the-toronto-fan-expo-2009/

Check it out for all the details and feel free to ask here if you have any questions. Swing by the SEGA booth during a Meet and Greet and be sure to say hello - we can chat Phantasy Star, Updates, SEGA in general or even favorite kinds of pie. (Apple, remember.) Hope to see you there!

Note: Props to anyone who does anything like these guys, who we saw at San Diego!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2485/3754764733_b6c865cfde.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3754763393_b9d34120ae.jpg

For details on the Convention:
http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo/
http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo/index.php?/gaming/

Any PSOW members going to be there?

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:06 PM
Nothing ever happens in Florida with this stuff, does it? :(

RubyEclipse
Aug 20, 2009, 04:10 PM
Nothing ever happens in Florida with this stuff, does it? :(
Your best bet would be NYCC, I think - or if there are any big gaming conventions in Florida, let me know ahead of time and I'll see what I can do. :)

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:15 PM
I really don't know anything about gaming conventions, or even where to get information about them. lol.
I could tell you where to ship a rappy inflatable thing though! :D MY HOUSE! lol
Orlando has convention centers, I do know that...and that's only about 45 minutes away from my house.
If you ever go to Orlando, I'll show up!

Hey it's Lock!

[SPOILER-BOX]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3754763393_b9d34120ae.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Fox2Tails
Aug 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
You think you've got it bad, try me end :/

Powder Keg
Aug 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
The 2nd pic is Lock, isn't it?

edit: volcom already pointed it out. ^^;

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
You think you've got it bad, try me end :/
Where you at, UK or other parts of Europe?
It does kinda suck for the EU fanbase more so than the US.
At least is can be a quick drive or flight anywhere in the US. I don't think I'd fly or drive to NYCC or California just to go to something like this, but I'd drive up to a few hours.

Fox2Tails
Aug 20, 2009, 04:40 PM
Where you at, UK or other parts of Europe?

Devon, UK

It does kinda suck for the EU fanbase more so than the US.

We didn't even get a day for the EU release of PSUP...

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:43 PM
Wow...You guys do have it bad lol.
Has there ever been a major convention anywhere in the UK, where SEGA would show up?

Fox2Tails
Aug 20, 2009, 04:46 PM
Wow...You guys do have it bad lol.
Has there ever been a major convention anywhere in the UK, where SEGA would show up?

I still don't even know around Plymouth, I'll have no idea for the rest of the UK lol

But yeah, I sat waiting for something about our release and what happens on the day? StD starts :rant: hows that for caring?

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:50 PM
Jeeze...:(
I don't understand something about US/EU games....
If the UK speaks English, why not just make the games EN instead of having two different files.
Like...game saves, they have US saves, JP saves, and EU saves, so why not just make the US/EU ones the same, instead of making a new game(well, not really) and making the release date the same as US for all games?
Just one of those weird things I guess.
I've played some EU games, and it's not like it's made for multiple languages, cause there is no option to change it, with the exception of Monster Hunter, which even comes on the US version.

unicorn
Aug 20, 2009, 04:51 PM
I wish something like this happened around New Jersey lol.

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
At least your a few hours at most away. It would cost me lots to travel.
I swear, Ruby, work some magic and come to Orlando, and I'll be there!

Chibi_psu
Aug 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
How about less expos and more working in our dear death game?

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 05:16 PM
How about less expos and more working in our dear death game?

Don't turn this thread into one of these (http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168243).
There are plenty of hate threads going on, post comments like that in one of them.

biggabertha
Aug 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Jeeze...:(
I don't understand something about US/EU games....
If the UK speaks English, why not just make the games EN instead of having two different files.
Like...game saves, they have US saves, JP saves, and EU saves, so why not just make the US/EU ones the same, instead of making a new game(well, not really) and making the release date the same as US for all games?
Just one of those weird things I guess.
I've played some EU games, and it's not like it's made for multiple languages, cause there is no option to change it, with the exception of Monster Hunter, which even comes on the US version.

There could be a lot of reasons - red tape is probably the most likely one. We've got testers to go through it, then there's the certification about it and then most likely localisation, a publisher and then the Instruction Manual/box cover to deal with.

But the bottom line's probably: The market for games isn't as big here in the UK/EU as it is in the USA. There's probably a billion people in America now while there's like... 100 million or so in the UK but I've probably got some very erroneous figures there - I just pulled it off of the top of my head. (I know China had 1 billion people around ten or fifteen years ago...) *SHrugs*

Volcompat321
Aug 20, 2009, 07:24 PM
Interesting.
I just don't see the difference, though I'm no expert on video games, and why it has to be that way :D

DuRaL
Aug 20, 2009, 08:35 PM
EU games run on a different screen format (PAL) than US/JP games (NTSC), and they usually are transalted into 3-5 different languages.. still, that's not really a good excuse for late releases in EU territories =/
being a european gamer very often sucks, believe me.. (where is my BlazBlue!! >_<)

however, if you live in europe, you can at least import american PSP or DS games, as handheld consoles don't have region codes =)

(sry, was a bit off-topic! have fun at your convention! ;P)

EDIT: oh, and by the way, there live about 400 million people in the US, i'm sure UK, france, germany and australia (also uses PAL) together can (almost) top that.
And with videogames becoming more and more popular in europe, i can't see any economic reason for developers/publishers to treat europeans like 2nd class videogames ><

EDIT#2: actually we even pay more for the games in europe, as the euro is much stronger than the US dollar at the moment, while the prices are almost always the same (i.e. a game for $60 sells for 60€ here... i think the monthly fee for PSU also is $9.99 in the US and 9.99€ over here, so we actually pay about.. $13 maybe?)

Chibi_psu
Aug 21, 2009, 03:24 AM
Don't turn this thread into one of these (http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168243).
There are plenty of hate threads going on, post comments like that in one of them.

Im not turning anything.If you are blind and cant see whats going on its not my problem.I don care about this expos and ps0 marketing...They should promote psu first

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 21, 2009, 03:31 AM
Sounds fun. I wish I could go. D:
Any chance you guys can make it to Anime Fest next month in NYC?

MadDogg
Aug 21, 2009, 04:08 AM
Im not turning anything.If you are blind and cant see whats going on its not my problem.I don care about this expos and ps0 marketing...They should promote psu first

Take the whining/complaining in that thread he linked to. Let these people talk about the expo.

RubyEclipse
Aug 21, 2009, 02:34 PM
Take the whining/complaining in that thread he linked to. Let these people talk about the expo.
Very much agreed; I don't work primarily on PSU anymore, and while I'm still happy to discuss the game, let's keep this topic solely to the expo, please.

Super Luu - you're not far from NY, right? We were at NYCC earlier this year, we actually had someone cosplay Rika from PSIV and swing by. :)

WHlTEKNIGHT
Aug 21, 2009, 02:46 PM
You need too
I have been spoken too by edward really badly and his attitude was way out of line, 1st getting warned for complaining about lag, 6 hours later it was comfirmed that its being sorted out. 2nd for asking where desert stronghold was from our gbr (he replied it wasnt even in the jp gbr lololololol) then threatening to ban me.
On topic..... when is this type of thing coming to uk/europe and will you be doing that 2?

RubyEclipse
Aug 21, 2009, 04:47 PM
You need too
I have been spoken too by edward really badly and his attitude was way out of line, 1st getting warned for complaining about lag, 6 hours later it was comfirmed that its being sorted out. 2nd for asking where desert stronghold was from our gbr (he replied it wasnt even in the jp gbr lololololol) then threatening to ban me.
On topic..... when is this type of thing coming to uk/europe and will you be doing that 2?

I work at SEGA's American branch, but I'd be down for a trip to Europe. More realistically, though, I think they'd probably just have our UK community team cover anything on that end - I sent them some Phantasy Star swag a while back, and I bet they probably have some more of their own somewhere.

PSZ may be releasing later in the UK, but remember that online play is global and is not region locked. ;)

Volcompat321
Aug 21, 2009, 05:09 PM
Ruby, since you don't come to Florida, you should send me some swag.

Friends and I would kill for some PSU swag!

DreXxiN
Aug 21, 2009, 08:16 PM
Ugh..another cosplay rewarding event I can't attend.

Will you mail me swag if I just send pics of me in extremely accurate and well done cosplay outfits of in-game clothing? =P

RubyEclipse
Aug 21, 2009, 09:51 PM
Ugh..another cosplay rewarding event I can't attend.

Will you mail me swag if I just send pics of me in extremely accurate and well done cosplay outfits of in-game clothing? =P
In-game PSU Clothing, not so much - but any PSO style outfits or recognizable genesis-era PS cosplay would definitely get you hooked up with some swag.

That offer goes out to everyone. :D

Volcompat321
Aug 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
So, you're saying if I dress up as a PS dood, and send you pictures of me and my friends nakeddressed up you will send us some PSU swag?
Shweet.

Finalzone
Aug 22, 2009, 04:52 AM
Any PSOW members going to be there?

Too bad I live near the Pacific Ocean >_<

Ryna
Aug 22, 2009, 06:28 AM
This sounds like it'll be a fun event. Too bad it is so far away from where I live!

RubyEclipse
Aug 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
Too bad I live near the Pacific Ocean >_<

That's where I'm at too - maybe next year's San Diego Comic-con then?

I got word that at least a few PSU fans may be dropping by, so I'll post pics as we get them and each day during the show. My flight Friday leaves early in the morning - hoorah for 5AM boarding calls - so that blog might go up just a little later in the evening. :)

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:08 PM
Is there a deadline on when people not going have to send you pics, or can we randomly send you some nudespics of our outfits?
I have some friends working on a giant rappy outfit. It might take a while.
We are using an old mascot outfit from a friends work, it's a huge chicken/rooster thing, and we are adding and subtracting stuff.

RubyEclipse
Aug 24, 2009, 03:20 PM
No deadline, send them anytime!

Just make sure you have some clothes on.

Volcompat321
Aug 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hehe of course. Just a little joke! :wink:
Most likely I'll pm you the pics within a week or two.
If you want, you can post em here after, or tell me to.

RubyEclipse
Aug 26, 2009, 12:26 PM
The first part of the Fan Expo blogs is up!

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/08/26/ruby-goes-to-canada-part-1-maple-leaves-passports-and-mooses/

Beware the Moose!