PDA

View Full Version : A (dark) fish threatening Gurhal?

Mysterious-G
Aug 23, 2009, 05:43 PM
Back when we heard about Falz being in MAG for the first time some of us spoilered theirselves to see the newest incarnation of the god of destruction, while others waited for it to be released on our local server, so that they could re-experience the thrill most of us probably had fighting him for the first time, whether in the classic PS games or PSO. And for a few PSU was their first PS game, but how could they not have heard of the villain that is as old as the franchise itself? So they waited, aswell...
All with the same result:

Most were utterly disappointed.
Most of the hardcore PSO fans, anyway. I would like to know how people that never played any of the previous Phantasy Star titles experienced their first encounter with the dark god, however. Not seeing Dark Falz as the evil many of us have known for years, but just as the last boss he is supposed to be. Was there any sort of excitment? Awe? A dark fish being the big evil behind all of this, did that satisfy you? Did you expect more than that?

I personally have played every installment of the PS series, yet was not disappointed, at all. Every of the Falz encounters were entirely different, but always had the same sense of pure evil behind it. Him being different every time I face him makes him seem even more omnipresent to me. There are so many different places in this world, and he will take the shape that fits each place the most. He is everywhere where there is hatred and despair, no matter how different a place is.

But for me the form is not what counts the most. It's the circumstances of facing it.
When playing PSO it was the fact that I was god knows how deep under the surface, all alone, almost feeling buried in the spaceship that was in fact a giant coffin. PSOs atmosphere got more tense with every new area you advanced to, heading deeper and deeper into Ragol and Rico's messages getting more and more despaired. That was what got me thrilled, and, young as I was, scared me very, very much. (That was back at a time where the menu of PSO was still like a maze to me. I was very young. ^^)
Simply said: Dark Falz would not have nearly have impressed me as much if my first encounter with it would have been in 'Towards The Future' (that makes you defeat every of the areas bosses in a row).
Dark Fish had the heavy disadvantage of our first encoutner with him 'just' being in an event. No story or atmosphere that could hype you before you actually enter the boss warp. There is more to him, just give him (and SEGA) time (to get the next story missions released). And still, we know him already now. So it will not be nearly as special, anymore.
It almost felt like the weird moment everyone having played Phantasy Star I had when suddenly facing the very first Dark Falz. (If they ever even found him.)

Anyway, when encountering Dark Fish for the first time myself on that boat I was pretty excited, although the fact of reavealing a game's last boss in an event seemed pretty dumb to me and still does due to taking away the whole story's mystery. And of course I knew he was a reskin, but I was really used to that by then, so I did not hang myself up on that for too long. The music gave me the feeling of fighting an evil that just awoke from a long slumber and that I had to it stop from entirely breaking free no matter what. I liked his slight form that almost seemed to long to finally get to the outside to me. But it really was the music that contributed most to me enjoying the fight. One of the few tracks on PSU I can truly enjoy everytime I fight him.
All in one, I was even glad that Dark Falz is an entirely different experience this time.

str898mustang
Aug 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
fighting a dark De Rol Le is not an exciting experience

PSO Falz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSU Falz

Dhylec
Aug 23, 2009, 06:27 PM
fighting a dark De Rol Le is not an exciting experience
PSO Falz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSU Falz
While I dislike the way ya set the equation, I agree that PSO Falz was more 'epic' than PSU's. I think it's the trek through the long Ruins that what made the fight more exciting & rewarding.

biggabertha
Aug 23, 2009, 06:42 PM
Not knowing what you were facing in PSO was what made it so very good - I didn't have any guides, I didn't have abundant access to the internet and there were very little cheats/hints about it in game magazines.

Probably the thing that makes PSO's Dark Falz a lot harder is how you walk before you run... a problem that's been taken out of PSU. The limited area to run/escape to though, was kept in both PSO and PSU so... that was pretty cool.

And anyway, if you're a Hunter type, any worm type boss is an annoyance until it "lands." Rangers in both PSO and PSU had/have such an EASY time!

Allison_W
Aug 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
I remember when I made the trek from the GUARDIANS Colony all the way to The Dark God, only to find out that Dark Falz was a De Rol Le reskin--I mean, I was at least expecting a Dulk Fakis reskin, but I suppose that would have been too much.

It's not horrible, but no, it doesn't really have the "OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT" factor that PSO's Dark Falz did. It'll give me opportunity to level Yousei-sou, anyway.

Shou
Aug 23, 2009, 07:00 PM
While I dislike the way ya set the equation, I agree that PSO Falz was more 'epic' than PSU's. I think it's the trek through the long Ruins that what made the fight more exciting & rewarding.

What trek? lol TTF.

Dhylec
Aug 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
What trek? lol TTF.
Hush, that's the shortcut. ;o

DuRaL
Aug 23, 2009, 07:35 PM
http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168077

^ this thread!

i hope the 2nd form of Dark Falz will be better, tho

and lol @ all people who had their first fight with dark falz in TTF ^_~

J-Veezy
Aug 23, 2009, 08:52 PM
I didn't even know I was fighting dark falz until after it showed up that I had gotten an achievement for killing dark falz. I had just thought it was a variation of de rol le at first.

darkante
Aug 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah, i canīt pass aside the fact that ST went lazy mode on that entity.
Better if they just called it something else so we could expect something more fierce.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 23, 2009, 10:40 PM
Hm, I was also underwhelmed by this avatar of Falz. I call it Del Rol Le or Falz Rol Le a lot, and also say that he was "demoted" from ultimate boss status to flying serpent duty.

But, I'm wondering if there's actually a 2nd form in the works. PSUpedia suggests that there could be one.

DreXxiN
Aug 23, 2009, 10:55 PM
There is a second form, and there's a valid reason as to why they used a De Rol Le reskin for the first form of Falz, though still not exciting.

I do, however, remember PSOGC having a far more epic Falz fight, but that's stopped since GC. On BB I can take out falz like cake in mid 120's as a RAmarl..Ah the hard days of Phantasy Star are over.. =/

Ruru
Aug 23, 2009, 11:31 PM
I was very disappointed when i first learned that falz was going to be a giant worm reskin. i can understand that they'll be giving him a second form but so far they really slapped us in the face with this sad excuse for the evil entity plaguing the PS universes.

I also agree that sending out the supposed ultimate badguy with no sense of backstory was a very bad move as well.

Tetsaru
Aug 23, 2009, 11:59 PM
Dark Falz in PSU was one of the most pathetic bosses I have EVER seen, in ANY game. The wtf holy shit that looks crazy cool abomination that I remember from PSO got turned into a flying, fluorescent-bulb turd-like De Rol Le wannabe.

DARK FALZ IS AN INCARNATION OF EVIL, NOT A FLYING TURD!!! If Sega pulls any shit like that in the new PSP game, I will scream at their stupidity. I swear, they make lemmings look intelligent sometimes... :argh:

I can understand normal enemies being reskinned (as long as it's a LOGICAL reskin, like the different-colored Koopas in Mario games behaving differently, or monsters of the same family), but bosses should NOT be reskinned, period. You can't have a boss character look the same as everything else, it just doesn't work.

Delete
Aug 23, 2009, 11:59 PM
Look at it this way, heres the Boss categories.

Big Fish Things:
.De Rol Le
.Dark Falz

Big Robots:
.Adahna Degahna
.Magas Maggahna

Flying Things that Fly way too much:
.Onmagoug
.Dimmagolus

Things with annoying arms you have to shoot down or else:
.Mother Brain
.Dulk Fakis Form 1

Dragons(OMG) One headed First:
.Zoal Goug
.De Ragan

2 Headed Dragons(How Original)
.Alterazgohg
.De Ragnus

And the one Boss who is different, Dulk Fakis second form.
Sadly, I wonder if this will be Dark Falz second form Re-skinned since the rest of the list follows a one re-skin for each boss kinda routine. : (

Tetsaru
Aug 24, 2009, 12:06 AM
Look at it this way, heres the Boss categories.

Big Fish Things:
.De Rol Le
.Dark Falz

Big Robots:
.Adahna Degahna
.Magas Maggahna

Flying Things that Fly way too much:
.Onmagoug
.Dimmagolus

Things with annoying arms you have to shoot down or else:
.Mother Brain
.Dulk Fakis Form 1

Dragons(OMG) One headed First:
.Zoal Goug
.De Ragan

2 Headed Dragons(How Original)
.Alterazgohg
.De Ragnus

And the one Boss who is different, Dulk Fakis second form.
Sadly, I wonder if this will be Dark Falz second form Re-skinned since the rest of the list follows a one re-skin for each boss kinda routine. : (

Gaming design at its finest... -_-X

And to answer your question, I'm pretty sure you're right about Dark Falz's 2nd form being an ohboyee reskin of Dulk Fakis' 2nd form, because obviously Sonic Team didn't want to waste money making a completely new, cool, and challenging boss... >_> Anyway, I could've sworn there was a screenshot of him posted somewhere on these forums a while back...

Delete
Aug 24, 2009, 12:11 AM
Dark Falz in PSU was one of the most pathetic bosses I have EVER seen, in ANY game. The wtf holy shit that looks crazy cool abomination that I remember from PSO got turned into a flying, fluorescent-bulb turd-like De Rol Le wannabe.

DARK FALZ IS AN INCARNATION OF EVIL, NOT A FLYING TURD!!! If Sega pulls any shit like that in the new PSP game, I will scream at their stupidity. I swear, they make lemmings look intelligent sometimes... :argh:

I can understand normal enemies being reskinned (as long as it's a LOGICAL reskin, like the different-colored Koopas in Mario games behaving differently, or monsters of the same family), but bosses should NOT be reskinned, period. You can't have a boss character look the same as everything else, it just doesn't work.

Yeah, I agree. Reading my post above me will show there is only 7 Bosses in this game. Plus 6 Re-skins of 6 of them. But 7 is the real number. Now before people say, it's not that bad, look at it this way. We got an Expansion pack for 20 bucks.......and what did we get Boss wise? Let's see.
We got A girl Dulk Fakis, De ragnus V2, and De Rol Le.......soon to follow, De Rol Le's Dad....Falz.
Pretty much, we got one new Boss.....in a ice and dark form......... @__@

RedRaz0r
Aug 24, 2009, 12:12 AM
Dark Falz second form = same as Dulk Fakis 2nd form, with the element change like the Alterazghog(spelling?)

Delete
Aug 24, 2009, 12:15 AM
Dark Falz second form = same as Dulk Fakis 2nd form, with the element change like the Alterazghog(spelling?)

I would guess so to be honest, which is more then likely the last achievement too.

RedRaz0r
Aug 24, 2009, 12:33 AM
It is, I remember from my short time on the JP server, not sure about achievement though but thats most likely it

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
Watch, the 2nd for of Falkis will be a reskin of Magashi.

Delete
Aug 24, 2009, 12:36 AM
Watch, the 2nd for of Falkis will be a reskin of Magashi.

:lol: Please No

Ruru
Aug 24, 2009, 01:42 AM
re-skin of magashi would have been better than a giant worm to be honest >.>;

Chibi_psu
Aug 25, 2009, 04:08 AM
we still have to fight the 2 form...at least he has some new attacks and voices.....

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
The 360 version has bleep bloops for PSU? Is there an achievement for broken dreams and hopes?

Anon_Fire
Aug 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
Dark Falz 2nd form

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epc05j0fuLA[/SPOILER-BOX]

Delete
Aug 26, 2009, 01:33 AM
Dark Falz 2nd form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epc05j0fuLA

No..............Freaking............Way.......... All I can say is Wow (In a really bad way)

darkante
Aug 26, 2009, 04:35 AM
No suprise there.
Why bother doing something new when you can dissapoint fans even more. :wacko:

DuRaL
Aug 26, 2009, 04:58 AM
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER =/

(at least we get 60 gamerscore for this on 360)

Tetsaru
Aug 26, 2009, 07:21 AM
Pfft, spoiler my ass. It's just another damned reskin, like I said - THE SAME DAMNED BOSS AS DULK FAKIS' 2ND FORM. That video showed no new attacks, no new tactics, nothing but a new paint job and him just sitting there half the time while you just plug away at his face. THAT IS NOT A BOSS FIGHT, IT'S TARGET PRACTICE!

God, the more I look at it, the more furious I get at Segac's STUPID game designs...

JesMaz
Aug 26, 2009, 09:19 AM
As a psu classic fan, PSU's 'Dulk Fakis' bears much more reseblance to original Dark Falz than PSU's 'Dark Falz'
http://tap-repeatedly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/steerpike_img_darkfalz.gif

http://www.psupedia.info/images/0/0d/Dulk_Fakis_Form_1.jpg

To me the most significant and important effect of DarkFalz is the terrifying and threatening face. Fakis' face definitley was inspired by the original Falz

The same is true for DarkFalz(force) in Phantasy Star 2 and the three reincarnations in Phantasy Star IV.

http://www.efkm.com/dezoris/ps_rolf4.gif

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/24701/893919-df2_large.gif

http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/screenshots/psiv/df2.gif

http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/screenshots/psiv/df3.gif

When I started playing PSU I was operating under the assumption that Fakis was supposed to be PSU's version of Falz, and in that respect, I was not dissapointed in the appearance at all, but the battle was someone lackluster. However, the very first time I was high enough to play the S rank HIVE missions, and the 2nd form was actually a surprise to me, my dissapointment vanished as it was truly a WTF moment for me and I was experiencing the awe and power of Falz as I had in the PS Classic games.

IN FACT, if you are familiar with the storyline of classic PS, the location of and circumstances of the 2nd form Dulk Fakis battle holds special significance for classic PS lovers, even though it doesnt make much sense in PSU.

That is, as discovered in PSIV, the planets of the Algo Star system are actually a seal created by the Great Light to contain the Profound Darkness, which was greatly weakened by the desctruction of the first planet Palma. The second Dulk Fakis battle takes between all the planets on a huge seal in space between the 3 planets of gurhal.

So, this surprise battle with the second form was particularly kickass for me. It was probably the most fun I've ever had while playing PSU.

I don't really consider PSU's DarkFalz(fish) to be anything of significance at all. It just doesn't count.

NDW
Aug 26, 2009, 09:30 AM
The only things I noticed that were different between Dulk Fakis 2 and Dark Falz 2 (besides the reskin) was that Dark Falz 2 changes elements and uses Divine Punishment.

Delete
Aug 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
Pfft, spoiler my ass. It's just another damned reskin, l

I'm not sure you can give it that much credit to be honest. Most reskins at least reskin the whole boss with different colors and such. This is just dulk fakis with a new tail, the worst reskin I have ever seen.

Anon_Fire
Aug 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, if you guys wanted to know what his attacks are, here ya go.

Spoiler ahead!

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJwREL8WH4[/SPOILER-BOX]

JimmyMagic
Aug 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
ALL of the bosses in PSO were better than PSU, and i forgot about the end of EP.4.....Epic boss with epic drops!

PSO had far more structure and story than PSU, which in comparison, feels like a server of random missions.

This video made me sad.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGXcJeW4vw

PSU could have been amazing, yet doesn't even compare to its 9 year old predecessor. Taking a step back gameplay wise has happened with different game sequels, but how they managed to take a step back with graphics and sound, i will never know. :-?

autumn
Aug 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
I didn't even realize that wasn't the fakis fight while watching it ._.;;;

Horrible. Although still not as bad as fail rol le.

garjian
Aug 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
oh... dear lord...
they didnt even reskin it?

why are there no fun MMOs out there...
as shit as it is... its the only MMO type thing i have fun on...

but this... is... just ridiculous...

you better be good champions online...

its a damn shame i missed PSO online...
it looks much better...

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 5, 2009, 04:04 PM
but how they managed to take a step back with graphics and sound, i will never know. :-? I know the gameplay and the new soundtrack don't appeal to everyone (what with the epic music that PSO brought us,) but how people say that graphics are somehow WORSE than PSO, I'll never know. Sounds like blind bashing to me.

So... Falz hijacked a Fakis and showed up as a puppet tail? (The reskin is that the top is Fakis, but the bottom is replaced by a tail like that of Falz's snake form, and the tail's head looks like a weird creature thing. I think the blades also look slightly different.)

Ok, as much as I don't hate this game, this is one of the imperfections I do acknowledge. Sure, Fakis is a cool boss fight, but PSU's rendition of Falz can't quite live up to its previous incarnations. If my snark has any credibility, why would Falz need to steal from a Fakis' power to become final boss material? Maybe for the same reason Falz was demoted to a serpent form, I dunno.

If the series isn't flamed to the depths of Hades before it can be revealed, maybe Falz will be back in peak condition 1000 years later.

But I have to admit, that one part in that video with Divine Punishment looks sweet.

Chibi_psu
Sep 6, 2009, 09:23 AM
Talking about 2 form of fakis in psu...Do they ever explained why the hell are we fighting in the middle of the space?Where did the hive go?.When we kill the 1 form we can see the magic circle starting to appear but thats all.....

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 6, 2009, 09:52 AM
Welcome to Fridge Logic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic), my friend.

Ail
Sep 6, 2009, 10:11 AM
Talking about 2 form of fakis in psu...Do they ever explained why the hell are we fighting in the middle of the space?Where did the hive go?.When we kill the 1 form we can see the magic circle starting to appear but thats all.....

well maybe the hive got destroyed while we kill fakis first form. that's what i've always thought..

but the real mistery is..

how non casts can breath in space!?!

fakis is nice enough to give us some fresh air to breath while we are in space so we can kill him? :D

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 6, 2009, 10:58 AM

After being defeated, Dulk Fakis and Dark Falz can revive themselves with A-Photons as stated in True Darkness. A-Photon reactions can cause a confinement effect which can move people and objects into Nano Transistor Space. Nano transitor technology is common in Gurhal and is based on creating and controlling dimensional rifts.

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/charworld_misc.php

One of the unique properties of A-Photons is the ability to create and control warps in space. These small-scale warped spaces can be used to store weapons and equipment. The device that controls this is called a nano transformer, and is standard issue for all Guardians.

The confinement systems are explained in story mode to be powerful nano transformers. Rykros was said in story mode to have nano transitioned into the Gurhal system. There is the "high nano transitor activity" of rare missions.

During Shred the Darkness, The Fourth System, Dulk Fakis's second form's area is called Nano Transistor Space. Dulk Fakis is a SEED infected A-Photon reactor. Falz Memoria has a counter called Nanotrance Vortex which probably leads to a co-op mission with Dark Falz's second form's area.

Dulk Fakis's first form is the reactor control room of the infected satellite. My interpretation is that the control room is too small for Dulk Fakis to move around in, so after being defeated and revived, Dulk Fakis nano transitioned itself and the party through a Nanotrance Vortex into Nano Transistor Space. The gylphed circle matches confinement visuals and vector line colors. When players return to HIVE No.3 for True Darkness, the rift into Dulk Fakis's Nano Transistor Space is still there.

Dark Falz's first form is implied to have been revived with the data from an ancient leviathanian creature like Moatoob's awoken serpent or Neudaiz's Ohtoku water serpent. The process was reproduced in VR Space for Program DF. Dark Falz's second form is implied to have been revived with the Dulk Fakis data Howzer took from the Magashis as stated in The Magashi Plan.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
@Gustav: ...And knowing is half the battle. G.I. JOEEE! *cougheveryoneshould understandthereferencebynowcough*

garjian
Sep 6, 2009, 01:34 PM
@Gustav: ...And knowing is half the battle. G.I. JOEEE! *cougheveryoneshould understandthereferencebynowcough*

??? :S

Tetsaru
Sep 8, 2009, 07:12 PM
After being defeated, Dulk Fakis and Dark Falz can revive themselves with A-Photons as stated in True Darkness. A-Photon reactions can cause a confinement effect which can move people and objects into Nano Transistor Space. Nano transitor technology is common in Gurhal and is based on creating and controlling dimensional rifts.

The confinement systems are explained in story mode to be powerful nano transformers. Rykros was said in story mode to have nano transitioned into the Gurhal system. There is the "high nano transitor activity" of rare missions.

During Shred the Darkness, The Fourth System, Dulk Fakis's second form's area is called Nano Transistor Space. Dulk Fakis is a SEED infected A-Photon reactor. Falz Memoria has a counter called Nanotrance Vortex which probably leads to a co-op mission with Dark Falz's second form's area.

Dulk Fakis's first form is the reactor control room of the infected satellite. My interpretation is that the control room is too small for Dulk Fakis to move around in, so after being defeated and revived, Dulk Fakis nano transitioned itself and the party through a Nanotrance Vortex into Nano Transistor Space. The gylphed circle matches confinement visuals and vector line colors. When players return to HIVE No.3 for True Darkness, the rift into Dulk Fakis's Nano Transistor Space is still there.

Dark Falz's first form is implied to have been revived with the data from an ancient leviathanian creature like Moatoob's awoken serpent or Neudaiz's Ohtoku water serpent. The process was reproduced in VR Space for Program DF. Dark Falz's second form is implied to have been revived with the Dulk Fakis data Howzer took from the Magashis as stated in The Magashi Plan.

An impressive explanation, but it's still no excuse for reskinning a boss that SHOULD have been much more powerful and intimidating... or reskinning a boss at ALL, practically move for move, for that matter. It ruins the challenge and excitement of the fight, and the storyline practically gets thrown out the window too. Gamers like being exposed to new challenges and nostalgic moments of previous installments of the series, NOT doing the same shit over and over again.

Delete
Sep 8, 2009, 07:12 PM

Someone's done there PSU Homework :wacko:

Overlord Zenon
Sep 15, 2009, 04:41 AM
well if you want to techicly spoil it or disappoint yourself, here is dark falz for psu not in his fishy, larva?, form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEYi8dTvXk&feature=related

Overlord Zenon
Sep 15, 2009, 04:44 AM
Sorry i dont know how to use a hide tag

Tetsaru
Sep 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
Sorry i dont know how to use a hide tag

[spoiler-box]whatever you want to hide here[/spoiler-box]

Like this![/spoiler-box]

Or [spoiler]text you want to hide here to black out text...

Like this. :3

DAMASCUS
Sep 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
Ever since we had our first run-in with Dark Fakis I was really looking forward to the real Dark Falz encounter. The second form of Fakis was awesome which made me wonder what more they could do. Well AOTI had the answer, they could do less. I don't see how they couldn't come up with a third form that would provide an insane challenge for the real Dark Falz form; even if the rest was just a reskin because even back then it was expected.

Hm...I wonder if the PSp series will improve on this?

Overlord Zenon
Sep 15, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think its how the engine is to be honest, pso models had simplier animations, the psu models are higher poly, and likely use a skeleton system, in order to make a worthy dark falz it would likely require its own base set, which should have been done from the start, as for the psp its a varient of the same engine, tho since the PSO dragon is in PSP2 i wonder if PSO Dark Falz would be as well?

I was actually hoping for DF in the max attack to be his PSO incarnation...tisk i was disappointed as well

Mike
Sep 15, 2009, 08:24 PM
If it makes anyone feel any better, Phantasy Star Zero's Falz is something like a pig-fish. It's not a reskin though.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
They should add a 3rd form like what they did in PSO Ep.1&2 for dark faltz (if ur on B rank or higher). Some of the attacks and how his AI worked for his 3rd form made is a really epic fight. As I said, they should do this for PSU's dark falz

that would make the fight a little more epic, and as the op said if they do the approach just right like what they did for PSO it will just make it that much more epic.