PDA

View Full Version : Zero VERSUS Portable 2

Quintus_The_Force
Aug 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
:rant: Phantasy Star Zero has like 350 weapons, the new Phantasy Star Portable Online 2 has over 2000 weapons.. Zero has a level cap of 99... Portable 2 has a level cap of 200.. Zero has no downloadable content (right?) Portable 2 has confirmed DLC... and Portable 2 is stealing Zeros chain attack abilty aswell!

People are gonna think Portable 2 owns Zero :(

landman
Aug 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
But Portable is a port of PSU, most of it's content is not new, in the other hand Zero is all original: story, scenario, 99% of weapons, etc.

furrypaws
Aug 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
There's also the two huge gaps between what the PSP can do and what the DS can do and how much data is on PSZ's card and how much data will probably be on PSP2's disc.

Honestly, the only thing this game has going for it is the fact that it's similar to PSO in engine and style and it's portable. This is pretty much a lesser but more portable PSO.

Quintus_The_Force
Aug 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
But Portable is a port of PSU, most of it's content is not new, in the other hand Zero is all original: story, scenario, 99% of weapons, etc.

I didnt know Portable was a port of PSU, well, I knew it was the same style but I didnt realize its a straight up port lol I guess I feel better now :)

(maybe thats why they REALLY call it PORTable) lol

Quintus_The_Force
Aug 27, 2009, 05:11 PM
There's also the two huge gaps between what the PSP can do and what the DS can do and how much data is on PSZ's card and how much data will probably be on PSP2's disc.

Honestly, the only thing this game has going for it is the fact that it's similar to PSO in engine and style and it's portable. This is pretty much a lesser but more portable PSO.

Well, I know the UMDs can store more data... but we don't even know how big the cartridge is that Zero is using. (Unless you do cuz I don't lol, I forget what the biggest size is anyways) but how do we know Zero is actually filling the largest storage size to the max... there could be room for like 700 weapons maybe I dunno

Arikado
Aug 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
PSU blows.

/thread

(That's in my opinion by the way.)

Mike
Aug 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
Except PSP isn't a port of PSU. I'm also not sure if it's stealing since PSP2 is being made by a few of the people who did PS0. And if it is stealing, the PS0 stole it from Monster Hunter :p But who cares?

Niered
Aug 28, 2009, 12:21 AM
PSU blows.

/thread

(That's in my opinion by the way.)

Seconded.

PSU is terrible, if nothing else, PSZ is a fresh start and a chance for something good again.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Aug 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
PSP2 will trump PSZ hard and without lube. Thats my opinion anyways and I have yet to play PSZ. But for some reason PSZ has some sorta charm to it that I can't put my finger on. Oh well.

landman
Aug 28, 2009, 01:50 AM
I know one thing, I will play both and I will enjoy both, been playing PSŲ for months, been playing PSU for years, and will be playing PSP2 when it is released.

Mike
Aug 28, 2009, 02:36 AM
And any way you look at it, neither PS0 nor PSP2 (and any other PSU derivative) is Phantasy Star Online.

Quintus_The_Force
Aug 28, 2009, 02:45 AM
I bet even Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 1 & 2 if it existed would be different somehow

Arikado
Aug 28, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well Phantasy Star Portable 2 sure looks better than PSU. (In my opinion anyway.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpGu6NSvhU

:P

Mysterious-G
Aug 28, 2009, 12:21 PM
Comparing a game with something that is not even released yet is a very bad idea.
Remember what we thought of PSU when we saw pictures of it for the first time before it was released?

Yeah, right.

Akaimizu
Aug 28, 2009, 12:50 PM
Considering that the feel and nature between PSZ and PSP2 will likely be quite different, I'd like to think of them as 2 different Phantasy Star games, entirely. (Though I'm speculating based on PSP's system)

Yes, PSP2 will be technically superior, but that goes with the more powerful hardware and larger memory sizes. Heck, PSP was like that compared to PSZ. Still, they did a pretty nice job on PSZ even though they can't cram so much in that cart size. If it wasn't for the system and environment being different, with different cool things to look out for, then PSZ would've been superceded by PSP even though PSP came out first.

So too much is different between the two titles to not have PSZ be quite fun in its own way. The weapon system/combat/things to find and build are not similar enough. Even though the character-based PP/TP system hints at being closer to PSZ/PSO style. I would imagine the way to build your character/weapons and such to be different than PSZ.

So I would say how much PSP2 drastically changes things from PSP1, and whether all of these changes drift the system much closer to PSZ's; will have a lot to do with how much this game could compete directly with PSZ.

Alis-Landeel
Aug 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
They are proceding by steps.

PSU <-- Ambition of the Illuminus <-- PSP <-- New Japanese Expansion <-- PSZero <-- PSP2

The improvements were continuous. Thanks to us too...

Besides I'm happy that they announced PSP2. But now It's the moment of PSZero.

Ryna
Aug 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
The two games should be treated as two completely unrelated entities and appreciated based on their own merits. When I'm traveling, I like playing Phantasy Star Zero more than Phantasy Star Portable. I get enough of the PSU experience on my PC.

Alis-Landeel
Aug 28, 2009, 01:00 PM
And any way you look at it, neither PS0 nor PSP2 (and any other PSU derivative) is Phantasy Star Online.
Yes! And PSO is not PSI, PSII, PSIII and PSIV.
Times changes... and games too. Stop complain.

cApNhOwDy
Sep 1, 2009, 07:05 AM
Comparing a game with something that is not even released yet is a very bad idea.
Remember what we thought of PSU when we saw pictures of it for the first time before it was released?

Yeah, right.

Oh god, dont remind me. My hopes and dreams crushed, right before my eyes. Never have I experienced a more painful moment in my life than when I first played PSU and realized how truly shitty and watered down it was in comparison to PSO.

Phaesphora
Sep 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
For me, PSŲ is more of a 'bon-bon' type of game: small, sweet, and satisfying in small doses. I can turn it on, run a quest while enjoying the design and play, then turn it off.

PSP2 seems like it will solve the 'bread and water' aspects of PSU while expanding the 'flavor' of style and gameplay (perhaps thanks in part to PSŲ).

True, it may be a bit early to tell, but I think both games have their merits and people will by and large recognize them.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 3, 2009, 09:44 PM
If one thing has taught me in my years is that graphics in games usually take a backseat when it comes to the whole of the game. I mean who wants to play a pretty game if the controls are clunky like trying to drive an 18-wheeler while drunk? PS0 may not have super awesome graphics but it may be one of them titles where you can pick up and waste a few good hours on it. So I wouldn't really trash it until you play it. As for comparing the two, its a bad idea.

gratefulgriz
Sep 3, 2009, 11:39 PM
you cannot compare the two in terms of good and bad, they are two different games, on two different systems. Whateverthisthread

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 4, 2009, 12:26 AM
you cannot compare the two in terms of good and bad, they are two different games, on two different systems. Whateverthisthread

Yet they will continue to put them head to head. For everyone's (including myself) amusement and self satisfaction.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2bv41j.jpg

Just as planned...

Quintus_The_Force
Sep 6, 2009, 01:46 AM
Yet they will continue to put them head to head. For everyone's (including myself) amusement and self satisfaction.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2bv41j.jpg

Just as planned...

LMAO

My point is just like... well... Portable already has a sequel, Because it probably sold a butt load despite how much people seem to hate it, and Zero probably won't sell, god knows why, and EVERYONE seems to agree it has charm and style and takes more after PSO which is what they crave, so in a sense it is the better game, but won't get treated as such by Sega IMO, im talking content and sequels here... I bet there was more room in the Zero cart... I just know it and its scary >.<

landman
Sep 6, 2009, 06:43 AM
PSP came first, Zero came some months later, if they had to announce a new Zero title, they will wait to announce if after PSP2 is released. But I hope Sonic Team is concentrating in other things, not another DS game... (PSP2 is developed by Alpha Systems, not Sonic Team, but Zero was made by Sonic Team)

Mike
Sep 6, 2009, 07:13 AM
(PSP2 is developed by Alpha Systems, not Sonic Team, but Zero was made by Sonic Team)

I don't see any mention of Sonic Team on any of my PS0 related stuff. I see lots of "Sega" but no "Sonic Team."

Alis-Landeel
Sep 6, 2009, 08:11 AM
Satoshi Sakai was game designer for both of them. If Sega has delegated the development to other team is only because the projects were developed almost simultaneously. With PSU too.

Dark Hunter
Sep 12, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm not trippin' over it dude. Screw PSU and all the other bullcrap related to PSU.

I'm just glad that they're releasing a game similar to PSO. If we all BUY the game, maybe they'll start releasing other games similar to the original PSO. Games that will hopefully be better than PSZ, and one day be better than PSO.

So like someone else in this thread said, hey, it's a start. Take what you can get now with no complaining. If they see that we liked it, (BUY THE GAME!) then they'll be happy to make more games like it.

Flamingo99
Sep 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
PSZ plays like PSO

PS:P2 plays like PSU

I think PSZ is more fun, just because I enjoyed PSO's game mechanics much more than PSU/PS:P