PDA

View Full Version : Should AOTI be made downloadable for PS3?

Anon_Fire
Aug 30, 2009, 01:21 PM
Since Backwards Compatibility has been removed from the PS3 Slim, I was thinking maybe Ambition of the Illuminus should be made downloadable.

What do you guys think?

Volcompat321
Aug 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
Would be cool, but it would still be a PS2 game.
Plus, who would download it? Most everyone that wants to play already has the disc.

Anon_Fire
Aug 30, 2009, 01:34 PM
I mean't, an updated version of AOTI, similar to 360 graphics

Africa
Aug 30, 2009, 01:37 PM
it'd be nice but it's chances are slim to nil.It doesn't seem like something sega would do, maybe sony but it probably depends on how well it did and is expected to do remember C.R.E.A.M.

landman
Aug 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
They could do it at least for the Japanese market, the problem are the western servers if it would be worth releasing it here or not. At least PS3 owners could import it and play on the Japanese servers xD

Volcompat321
Aug 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
I mean't, an updated version of AOTI, similar to 360 graphics

PSU already looks great on an HDTV. It's not the best obviously, but it's decent.
Plus, like the guy below me said, it's highly unlikely, but it would be nice.

it'd be nice but it's chances are slim to nil.

What he said.

Plus, it would be cool cause you wouldn't need the first PSU disc to play,(unlike the 360).
You could just play from the download-> game section.

Aeris
Aug 30, 2009, 02:04 PM
This whould be nice but chances they won't do it, like to see the game in HDTV =P.

Lacen
Aug 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
Oh hell yes!!! My PS3 is getting lonely over here. =P Dude the servers would definitely fill up once word spreads... Well, maybe they could do that with the expansion for PSU that expands upon PS:P2. I bet if Sega were like the other companies that delete accounts after a few months the server may actually be booming still. =P Well, maybe. =D

sovalou
Aug 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
The game would probably sell well once word spreads around, not to mention it would be one of the few MMORPG's on Ps3. And then the servers would spring back to life and sony can finally have an excuse to completly ditch the PS2 alltogether, becuase if this happens FF14 or FF11 isn't to far away.

Volcompat321
Aug 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
But then SEGA has to do their job, and you know how that works.

landman
Aug 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, at this point it is provably better to wait for a new phantasy game instead of a PSU port.

Tetsaru
Aug 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
Personally, I don't think the game should be available for download given its current state. The population is dwindling, there isn't enough to do, and there's a new title on the way for PSP which looks (at least right now) a lot more promising.

Besides, from what I've seen, it's a lot easier to play PSU on a PC than on a PS3 - it's just bad programming on Sonic Team's part. Also, if you're on PC, you can just torrent the game anyway. :3

Criss
Aug 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
There would be no point in porting PSU to the PS3. The development time would be better spent on a new game (with a system similar to PS:P2).

Gibdozer
Aug 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
What development time? The game has been out for years, just port the 360 version and make it available for download by PS3 users for 10 bucks.

Unfortunately it couldn't combine with the 360 servers (definitely probably not), but I'm sure many PS2 vet/ PS3 owners would enjoy the upgrade.

sovalou
Aug 30, 2009, 07:26 PM
there wouldn't be to much development time, and if it was ported to PS3 they could actually make a patch for it allowing it to install the supplemental update and or further updates. Most Psp games have to go throw SCEA to get made anyways so PSU would be no different for playstation network.

joefro
Aug 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
If you have a new PS3 I can name like a thousand games that you should play before you even consider PSU.

sovalou
Aug 30, 2009, 09:54 PM
If you have a new PS3 I can name like a thousand games that you should play before you even consider PSU.

If you can name one game that isn't an, A) action game, B) shooter, or C) fighting game for the Ps3 then maybe. But as of right now the Ps3 is nothing but a shooting game fest, with very little RPGs or MMORPG's for that matter.

Criss
Aug 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
What development time? The game has been out for years, just port the 360 version and make it available for download by PS3 users for 10 bucks.
And how do you think they'd "port" the 360 version? Porting isn't just done by running the program through some converter. You have to optimize the game for different hardware, reimplement features for the other console (from enabling ingame XMB instead of dashboard to trophies or saving system), change all ingame representation of the console/controllers/button names, etc. The game has to go through a whole process reaching from programming to QA testing to console manufacturer certification. All of this takes time and money. Time and money better spent on a new game.

Edit: People keep complaining that PSU is always the same gameplay with the same old "go kill everything" kind of mission. Yet by wanting a PS3 port of this, you're just asking for more of the same old crap instead of a brand new and improved Phantasy Star game.

Kazuma_PSU
Aug 31, 2009, 01:17 AM
SEGA doin something like that HA, that will be the day.

Gibdozer
Aug 31, 2009, 07:42 AM
And how do you think they'd "port" the 360 version? Porting isn't just done by running the program through some converter. You have to optimize the game for different hardware, reimplement features for the other console (from enabling ingame XMB instead of dashboard to trophies or saving system), change all ingame representation of the console/controllers/button names, etc. The game has to go through a whole process reaching from programming to QA testing to console manufacturer certification. All of this takes time and money. Time and money better spent on a new game.

Edit: People keep complaining that PSU is always the same gameplay with the same old "go kill everything" kind of mission. Yet by wanting a PS3 port of this, you're just asking for more of the same old crap instead of a brand new and improved Phantasy Star game.

Yes, advocating a port of PSU for PS3 users is the same as saying that we don't want any updates or new games in the Phantasy Star series ever. You nailed it, damn we're stupid!

Since it's so difficult to translate a video game from one console to another it's amazing that we have so many ports and simultaneous releases! Wow, game developers must be losing their asses, damn their stupid! I can just see a staff of hundreds of programmers standing around screaming, " how the hell can we change these button names!"

panzer_unit
Aug 31, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see AOI as a download for PS3 if a firmware update added software-level backwards compatibility and PS2 game downloads.

Criss
Aug 31, 2009, 01:49 PM
Yes, advocating a port of PSU for PS3 users is the same as saying that we don't want any updates or new games in the Phantasy Star series ever. You nailed it, damn we're stupid!
Damn you're dense. It's exactly because we want improvements and new and better games in the Phantasy Star series that we shouldn't be asking for yet another copy of the current game. Especially since the design for the current game is flawed and in dire need of improvement.

Since it's so difficult to translate a video game from one console to another it's amazing that we have so many ports and simultaneous releases! Wow, game developers must be losing their asses, damn their stupid! I can just see a staff of hundreds of programmers standing around screaming, " how the hell can we change these button names!"
I can see you're completely oblivious to the work involved in creating or just porting a video game. You might also want to work on your reading skills, because you apparently missed all of the important parts of my post. Do you even know about certification?

Cracka_J
Aug 31, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure the 5 people that still play on pc/ps2 will be delighted to hear that they can dl the game on a system that will still look inferior to the pc version.

Money in the bank.

Akaimizu
Aug 31, 2009, 01:59 PM
Well, actually. A very large sizable amount of PS3s, out there now, have the PS2 backward compatibility ripped out. That is, unless you happen to still find any of those Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 packs. Anything after that, is a no go for PS2 compatibility.

Gibdozer
Sep 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
Damn you're dense. It's exactly because we want improvements and new and better games in the Phantasy Star series that we shouldn't be asking for yet another copy of the current game. Especially since the design for the current game is flawed and in dire need of improvement.

I can see you're completely oblivious to the work involved in creating or just porting a video game. You might also want to work on your reading skills, because you apparently missed all of the important parts of my post. Do you even know about certification?

If we want future games and improvements it is essential that the game reach a wider audience, and that Sega continues to see returns on their investment. The bottom line is that it's all about the bottom line once the game is no longer profitable the game will end.

If PSU does well enough we will see a sequel(next gen) until then improvements are the best we can hope for. But improvements will not happen without a solid user base paying a subscription fee. More subscribers=greater improvements to the current game, more improvements this generation=a better game next generation.

Porting the current game(hopefully the 360 version) can only benefit the PSU fan base. The numbers speak for themselves, the most successful games are generally those that reach the widest user base. Making a game may be hard work but porting is an easy way to make more money by simply increasing your consumer base. Going multi-platform is profitable, that's why every major 3rd party has moved away from exclusivity.

Criss
Sep 2, 2009, 03:41 PM
If we want future games and improvements it is essential that the game reach a wider audience, and that Sega continues to see returns on their investment. The bottom line is that it's all about the bottom line once the game is no longer profitable the game will end.
True, but patching and updating a game is much more cost-effective (and profitable) than porting.

If PSU does well enough we will see a sequel(next gen) until then improvements are the best we can hope for. But improvements will not happen without a solid user base paying a subscription fee. More subscribers=greater improvements to the current game, more improvements this generation=a better game next generation.
While this is generally true for games, it doesn't quite apply to PSU. The problem with PSU, aside from the complete lack of advertising, is that its gameplay and features that are completely lackluster compared to other games on the market. Unless they improve gameplay and add features that stand out from other games, porting the same outdated software will do nothing to increase their subscription base.

Porting the current game(hopefully the 360 version) can only benefit the PSU fan base. The numbers speak for themselves, the most successful games are generally those that reach the widest user base. Making a game may be hard work but porting is an easy way to make more money by simply increasing your consumer base. Going multi-platform is profitable, that's why every major 3rd party has moved away from exclusivity.It might benefit the remaining PSU fan base, but I honestly doubt it would be profitable for Sega, considering that the PC, PS2 and X360 consoles already cover a lot of the possible fan base. Making the online client for PSU AotI PC free to download and giving a one week free trial of the full game would already go a long way towards giving PSU some potential extra subscribers. Porting PSU to the PS3... not so much.

Gibdozer
Sep 3, 2009, 08:52 AM
There is not much patching going on with PSU. The content released since AOTI was included in the initial download, it's just being made accessible over time in the form of "updates". Patches and updates market to the established user base, porting doubles, triples, quadruples potential customers/profits.

While I agree that advertising is non-existent, I disagree with everything else you have to say about the game. Lackluster compared to what other games on the market? Which market, on the 360/PS2 PSU is pretty much the only game of its kind so what are you comparing it to?

Yes PC, PS2, 360 does cover a significant user base, however; it doesn't cover the PS3 users which is what this thread is about. The PS3 has not been incredibly successful in the U.S. but on a global scale it represents a large number of gamers. It's silly to think some of those people would not play PSU since PS2/PC and 360 users are still playing it(some for years). If the sparse PC/PS2 and 360 populations can maintain a profit than so could the PS3, and since it would be integrated with one of these servers it would help the population and word of mouth advertising(which is all we have in PSU).

DAMASCUS
Sep 3, 2009, 12:03 PM
Although he does make a good point about a free trial version or free month being available on the Playstation Store that would bring some fresh faces to the ailing PC/PS2 servers.

Too little too late but still a good idea ;)

Zeek123
Sep 3, 2009, 12:27 PM
This would be great. Too bad it'll never happen. I would love to trophy ho it up. But it probably wouldn't let me keep my old save file.

Group 935
Sep 5, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think that would be interesting.

Aumi
Sep 10, 2009, 11:06 AM
They should make it downloadable for something like 10 dollar, make it free-to-play and get money through microtransactions for special items and clothing, character slots and new content.

Anon_Fire
Sep 10, 2009, 06:03 PM
They should make it downloadable for something like 10 dollar, make it free-to-play and get money through microtransactions for special items and clothing, character slots and new content.

Downloadable for $10 is great.

but here are the reasons why I think AOTI should be made downloadable for PS3:

1. The new 120GB Slim PS3 has backwards compatibility removed.

2. Installing AOTI on your HD could reduce load times.

3. Your online save on the server will still be accessible..

Miyoko
Sep 10, 2009, 06:19 PM
Make it cheap (10-15$), ADVERTISE it, and that it's a DOWNLOADABLE online RPG for PS3, with cheap and easy access... Yeah, people would probably get it.