PDA

View Full Version : How exactly will PSp2 effect us?

Double J
Sep 1, 2009, 05:12 PM
I keep hearing people say that once PSp2 comes out things will change but how exactly? I know what PSp2 is and such but why do people think it will greatly effect PSU on the 360? We haven't even recieved the next update that Japan has. Do you think they'll ever just release a new PS game for the 360 instead? When do we think PSp2 will be released in the States?

I'm surprised the PSP is getting another Phantasy Star, I didn't know the first portable sold so well (At least in the US). Seems PS is starting to come back since the DS is also getting a version. Hopefully if it sells well followed by PSp2 then they'll come out with another console version.

Volcompat321
Sep 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Learn2search.
PS:P2 will effect us as much as any other new game will.

Dragwind
Sep 1, 2009, 05:54 PM
It could affect PSU, possibly. It might end up causing us to get more content down the road (like PSU JP getting PS:P items, etc), or not.

As far as an online game, I doubt it's going to send PSU packing. For the game being on a PSP, I doubt it's going to have much protection against getting hacked to pieces or content updates.

I also suggest taking a look at the other Phantasy Star forums and taking a good read through some of the on-going threads. They could give you some insight on your questions.

Criss
Sep 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
As far as changes to the game go, PS:P2 won't affect PSU AotI much, if at all. It most likely would have an impact on any possible expansion of PSU though.

And for the population... I think PS:P2 will have much more of an impact than PS:P, if only because of the Infrastructure Online play. Personally, once PS:P2 is out, the only thing that could potentially keep me playing PSU are friends, and those still playing are becoming increasingly rare.

Gen2000
Sep 1, 2009, 08:06 PM
Japan loves portable systems.
PSP2 will have online.
Guardian Cash exclusive end-game sucks.
High chance Newman/Humans won't suck as much if Mirage Blast turns out to just be SUV/Photon Blast clone for them. Meaning more variety of class combos that won't feel as gimp for not being Beast/Cast.
The later versions of PSPs have TV out inputs so you can play the game on your TV if you want to pull the "I don't like looking at tiny screens" card.

What would really be the charm of original PSU once this thing comes out? The few cons I see is it easier to communicate on PC/consoles since they can just use keyboards and PSP has to use that lame pop-up keyboard. The other potential problem being that it may be more hacker prone as mention above.

If they were making another expansion and cared about PC/console PSU I would think they put all that PSP2 content on a disc instead but it seems they're much more satisfied with the game being on portables now. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Kind of related to this subject, but I find it annoying when they abandon console versions for portables. This same thing has happen with Okami. They finally announced a sequel but it's on the freaking DS...gah.

Mike
Sep 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
As far as an online game, I doubt it's going to send PSU packing. For the game being on a PSP, I doubt it's going to have much protection against getting hacked to pieces or content updates.

As soon as a version of cfw becomes compatible with PSP2 (or would that be the other way around?), cheating is a given and it will suck. But I have to wonder if you mean server side content or download content? I don't know how much server-side content PSP2 will have but downloadable content is almost a given, I think.

I can't see PSU changing to fit PSP2 or anything like that. Maybe a few items will be released in to PSU but I can't see Sega changing the entire PSU dynamic because of PSP2.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Sep 1, 2009, 09:54 PM
cheating is a given and it will BE FUN!!!!
FIXED IT!!

AngelofEnders
Sep 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
Cheating will only really affect you if you only play with random people. With as much people that browse these forums, it always seems like very few people on those forums actually interact with each other save the people who suddenly pop up when there's a "fashion" contest.

panzer_unit
Sep 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
As soon as a version of cfw becomes compatible with PSP2 (or would that be the other way around?), cheating is a given and it will suck. But I have to wonder if you mean server side content or download content? I don't know how much server-side content PSP2 will have but downloadable content is almost a given, I think.

Honestly I hope there's no DLC for PS:P2. Let's be honest, most "downloadable content" is just a little piece of data that allows you to finally get some weapon or go to some area that's been hidden away on your game disc. It's a bunch of crap.

gratefulgriz
Sep 2, 2009, 03:30 PM
I won't be switching over because I have invested time into PSU on PC. Though I might pick up a DS or PSP to continue helping out the PS franchise and play those games on the side while continuing to have a blast with LadyDatura (though I am on a break right now =P)

Overlord Zenon
Sep 2, 2009, 06:59 PM
depends i still prefer to play my games on the 32" tv over a little handheld screen, and the psp t vout isnt exactly the greatest, we'll likely see some new missions and characters and possibly styles based off the new game

Chuck_Norris
Sep 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
FIXED IT!!

Oh my god. You're still here?

MadDogg
Sep 2, 2009, 11:13 PM

I can't see PSU changing to fit PSP2 or anything like that. Maybe a few items will be released in to PSU but I can't see Sega changing the entire PSU dynamic because of PSP2.

Was about to say this. I wouldn't give this version a week. Cheating is the number one reason I quit all the different psus before 360 psu, what is the point to play the game when everyone has every rare in the game, the next step after that is hacking support units a.k.a. al rappies from pso ep. 1 and 2, then after that they start hacking the stats on the weapons, running around demolishing crap faster than a fighmaster with jabroga.

Whats the point playing a PSO/PSU type game if you are going to solo by yourself. I think I'll just stick to 360 psu, which most likely is going to get an expansion adding all this psp stuff sooner or later.

xBladeM6x
Sep 3, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm guessing that a lot of people who have a PSP such as myself will stop playing PSU for good once it comes out.

If PSU gets the content they will probably do what the GC is already doing; meaning charging for the majority of PSP1 content in the special missions, and will do the same with PSP2 content. (Assuming they decide to bring it over)

Pandarino
Sep 3, 2009, 03:27 AM
I quitted playing PSU right after the "Max Attack" event for a variety of reasons, game related and not, but then I really enjoyed the Portable version, got all the items, the titles etc....so I am really anticipating PSP2, that seems to bring everything to the next level.

dentRED
Sep 3, 2009, 08:47 PM
seriously, i dont know if it will affect psu, but i was also curious as well.

but i do have 1 question... will you have to pay monthly for the online play on PS:P2???

pinkace
Sep 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
If this game doesnt have server-side saving then it will be hacked to pieces and I will not play it.

Ethateral
Sep 3, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hacking takes the fun out of a game though. :<

3R
Sep 4, 2009, 12:55 AM
If the online playing is partner card based, I hardly see myself playing with ppl I don't know.

Still, hacking would be very sad, it would kill any potential trading community in matter of ka-paw!

Mike
Sep 4, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hacking takes the fun out of a game though. :<

I can't agree 100% with you. Using cheats to dupe weapons, make weapons with insane %s, make yourself invincible, turn other players in to NPCs, and the like make games lame. Cheats that mess with physics (though these are rare in anything but FPS games, I think) can be fun.

MadDogg
Sep 5, 2009, 08:45 AM
I can't agree 100% with you. Using cheats to dupe weapons, make weapons with insane %s, make yourself invincible, turn other players in to NPCs, and the like make games lame. Cheats that mess with physics (though these are rare in anything but FPS games, I think) can be fun.

I agree with you with the physics part. I was always impressed with the stuff the you know what server did with blue bust, with the winter forest map skin, different npc skins to use on your character, making some crazy enemy spawns etc.

The sad reality is, I already know how the cheating pso community is. Through all the versions of pso that came out, it is ALWAYS the same damn thing, and each version ALWAYS had a certain user that for some reason had a personal vendetta, or something to prove to sega. e.x. barubary, broomop etc.

(The pso community used to have a stereotype that it was always the english players cheating first. Fun fact=Japanese gamecube ep 1 and 2 was hacked in the first 3 days the game was released with lavis cannons, snow queens, heavens punishers etc. It was so dumb that sega made that version of the game stop working online. You had to mail in your disc to sega so they could send you another version of the game. You had to have a japanese address, so importers where royally screwed).

So when it comes to pso/psu on a system with a lack of harddrive or cheating prevention, I already know damn well what to expect from the community with this new psu2 on psp. I'm giving it a week at the most before than thing is ran rampant by cheaters. Hell by the time the U.S. or europe gets the game, it would already be ruined for online play.

I'm just hoping sega makes a PSU sequel for 360, if they don't, then might as well wait for champions online on 360 or back to WoW =/

RemiusTA
Sep 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Learn2search.
PS:P2 will effect us as much as any other new game will.

not really. When PSP2 comes out, im just going to cancel my PSU subscription until its announced for the consoles.

However at this point, its all downhill for pc/ps2 /360 users. PSP sold 10x better than PSU did, so its no surprise they jumped onto PSP2 so quickly. However, the changes to PSP2 from PSP/PSU are so severe that not even a Title Update would suffice --- it would require another purchase for the consoles, which means it'll be a while before we see it.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Sep 7, 2009, 05:00 AM

I agree with you with the physics part. I was always impressed with the stuff the you know what server did with blue bust, with the winter forest map skin, different npc skins to use on your character, making some crazy enemy spawns etc.

The sad reality is, I already know how the cheating pso community is. Through all the versions of pso that came out, it is ALWAYS the same damn thing, and each version ALWAYS had a certain user that for some reason had a personal vendetta, or something to prove to sega. e.x. barubary, broomop etc.

(The pso community used to have a stereotype that it was always the english players cheating first. Fun fact=Japanese gamecube ep 1 and 2 was hacked in the first 3 days the game was released with lavis cannons, snow queens, heavens punishers etc. It was so dumb that sega made that version of the game stop working online. You had to mail in your disc to sega so they could send you another version of the game. You had to have a japanese address, so importers where royally screwed).

So when it comes to pso/psu on a system with a lack of harddrive or cheating prevention, I already know damn well what to expect from the community with this new psu2 on psp. I'm giving it a week at the most before than thing is ran rampant by cheaters. Hell by the time the U.S. or europe gets the game, it would already be ruined for online play.

I'm just hoping sega makes a PSU sequel for 360, if they don't, then might as well wait for champions online on 360 or back to WoW =/

I knew cool people still existed on this game. there's still hope yay!!!!! I remember on dreamcast where the japanese kept on getting stuff like 3 months b4 us. They would join our games and just start killing everything with there new upgraded weapons that we couldn't get untile like 2 or 3 months. then the player killer (PK) was made and that ended that lol.

Delete
Sep 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
not really. When PSP2 comes out, im just going to cancel my PSU subscription until its announced for the consoles.

However at this point, its all downhill for pc/ps2 /360 users. PSP sold 10x better than PSU did, so its no surprise they jumped onto PSP2 so quickly. However, the changes to PSP2 from PSP/PSU are so severe that not even a Title Update would suffice --- it would require another purchase for the consoles, which means it'll be a while before we see it.

Exactly :wacko:

With PSP 2, your gonna have a handful of new content that PSU won't be able to rival. Is it gonna be good? We don't know for sure yet. Not trying to continue to bash PSU, (I still like it) but what is PSU getting that's big? More missions that drop Killer Elites or maybe Armas Line boards. PSU has played almost all it's cards now, whatever else is left (that we know of) is not much. I'd much rather be using new stuff in PSP 2 (even if some of them sound lame, shield thingy Imo)

DAMASCUS
Sep 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
Well, our population dips have duplicated those that happened in Japan and for the same reasons. When PSp2 comes out in Japan we'll get a preview of those effects and brace for impact :o

Maelstrom 180
Sep 8, 2009, 01:05 AM
Honestly i want to see some big changes, I think even if theyre useless the Shield subweps could be fun (possibly causing imunity to statuses and making character stationary or just raising defense while armed and not being activatible like RCSMs. But i for one would love some of the content changes, dodge rolling could provice more amusement and tatcical and reflexive measures in combat, however the bullet charging im a bit stuck on, i would like it to be like the critical system, because honestly if it were too strong there would be no need to fire fast, however running in while charging the overused shotgun or my prefered, a grenade with lv 40 Duranga, could provice some interesting first strike measures...Then again that i can live without cause yeah it isnt like we cant just liquify any mob with jabroga and shotty spams. I guess in short i want them to do a total re-sculping to make enemies a bit swifter and smarter and add those features into console play.