PDA

View Full Version : Kan Yuc ???

Gaara of sv
Sep 4, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hello! I was just wondering why the Kan Yuc is only male characters? It defeats the point of the kubara product. I was just wondering if this was some sort of error on sega's end of if this is actually how its supposed to be.
Thank you for your time!

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 4, 2009, 10:10 PM
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! A CONSPIRACY!

Just kidding. I can't even understand why Kan Yu is male only. Doesn't look too overly manly to me. Maybe because that one bow is female only? Maybe Guan Yu was sexist? Maybe it's super long? I may never know.

Arika
Sep 4, 2009, 10:28 PM
Because Kuan Yu (Chinese tales) is very brave man, and the man of man.

Allison_W
Sep 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'd say it's because Japan is still a cesspool of misogyny, except that I'm quite impressed with Laia's characterization in that light. We still have enough trouble finding characters like her in American games, let alone ones from even more sexist societies.

So I really have no idea why they have male-only and female-only items (or why the male-only items are for fighters and the female-only items are for techers, are they trying to imply something?). Or why the trap PM male PH470 has not one, but two, weapons restricted to female PCs. Maybe his birthing hips have something to do with it; I really don't know.

In short no one can tell what Sega's thinking, like always. Then again, I come from the Fable II school of thought and find myself wondering, What, is cross-dressing a capital crime in the Gurhal system or something? over so much as gender-restricted clothes.

autumn
Sep 5, 2009, 12:07 AM
Sig'd ^-^

Neith
Sep 5, 2009, 10:54 AM
Because Kuan Yu (Chinese tales) is very brave man, and the man of man.

Which would make sense for Kan Yu, NOT Kan Yuc.

Halarodoc is not Newman-only.
Killer Elic is not Cast-only.

It just doesn't make sense for Kan Yuc to have a restriction on it, when (as far as I can tell) no others do.

What's funny is that on PSOBB, Yunchang was a reference to the same man, and that had no odd restrictions.

The gender-exclusivity of Kan Yuc is stupid, but it's not too bad (as there are far better swords). It's somewhat of a shame though, I always liked how it looked but can't stand male characters :disapprove:

Edit: If you want a funny example of a borderline-sexist weapon, look at PSO's Ophelie Seize.
The description is: "Women tend to like this red and silver handgun due to its compact size." :wacko:

Arika
Sep 5, 2009, 11:09 AM
Which would make sense for Kan Yu, NOT Kan Yuc.

Halarodoc is not Newman-only.
Killer Elic is not Cast-only.
:wacko:

May be because Halarod and Killer Elite never name after anything to be newman-only or cast-only in the first place? Kan Yu is the only one that follows the name of legendary person tho.

anyway, that is my guess, Nobody will be able to answer this for real
unless programmer will come to tell you himself :p

Tetsaru
Sep 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
Because Sonic Team is DERP when it comes to PSU, that's why.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 6, 2009, 08:35 AM
Actually, I think Kan Yuc is male-exclusive because that one bow is female-only with no gender-neutral Kubara version.

Despite no crossdressing, this pales in comparison to PSO. PSO had tons of female-only item compared to male-only, sexist stat differences were more prevalent, and many woman characters were forced into high heels, which are VERY ineffective in actual combat.

Gaara of sv
Sep 6, 2009, 01:23 PM
well idk, im asking this for my sister who was VERY upset cuz she always loved how kan yu looked, and then when she found out about kan yuc she got all excited untill she bought a board and made one... honestly i think that kan yuc defeates the whole point of a kubara product...

Allison_W
Sep 6, 2009, 06:46 PM
Actually, I think Kan Yuc is male-exclusive because that one bow is female-only with no gender-neutral Kubara version.

Despite no crossdressing, this pales in comparison to PSO. PSO had tons of female-only item compared to male-only, sexist stat differences were more prevalent, and many woman characters were forced into high heels, which are VERY ineffective in actual combat.

Very true.

And PSO does have Laia Martinez. I was surprised to find a character like her (especially the way she's portrayed in Episode III) in a work from Japan, to be quite honest.