PDA

View Full Version : Every single PA maxed?

Mikura
Sep 12, 2009, 03:01 PM
So I realize many people constantly complain they have nothing left to do, but for me personally, I always go PA lvling by myself when things get really slow on PSU.

Now my question is, have you or anyone you know maxed out every single PA in the game? And I mean everything (Melee PAs, Bullets, Techs). This includes the PAs that Master classes have access to that can reach lvl 50. If so, then I can safely say you really do have absolutely nothing left to do in this game. lol

Tetsaru
Sep 12, 2009, 03:39 PM
*WARNING - TETSARU IS POSTING AGAIN, DON'T GET UPSET AT ME IF YOU READ THIS AND GET OFFENDED* :disapprove:

[spoiler-box]

Again, I hate to sound like an asshole, but if you're having to resort to soloing and painstakingly leveling up PA's that you're most likely not even going to use, unless you're so utterly bored that you need yet another way to zerg your way through enemy mobs, then you need to move on to another game. I'm sorry, but other than elitism and e-peen flaunting, I never saw the point of maxing out all of your PA's, even if you're a gunner or techer. JUST USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND STICK WITH IT. Besides, we all know that certain PA's like Dus Majarra and Anga Jabroga are just so broken that there's not much point in running anything else.

"But Tetsaru, what about the Supplemental Update that's supposed to change all of that!?"

I have 3 words for you: WHAT supplemental update? Do you see Sega/Sonic Team making any effort to rebalance this game at the moment, or even giving us a clue when they intend to?? Of course not! They're too busy working on PSP2 (and ironically, I think that's a good thing, sometimes ending is better than mending), and wondering why the fuck so much lag is occurring within the game for the gajillionth time.

And to answer your question, Mikura, I've known some people who had all their techs or skills maxed, but NOT EVERYTHING. Besides, it's impossible to tell just from glancing at their character because you can only hold 36 PA's at once, unless you went to their room or something where they had the rest of them stored and just swapped em out... but seriously, anyone who has EVERYTHING maxed, just WHY?? Are you REALLY that bored?? Are you trying to impress anyone?? Better go buy another Scape Doll for 5K, because you obviously just wasted your life away...

[/spoiler-box]

Volcompat321
Sep 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
Tet, fix your sig before you get a warning!
Also, to be on topic.
I refuse to level EVERY PA in the game.
I will not (other than the 1 PA exp boost) do a mission solely to level a PA.
I will run with people, or maybe even solo, but not to level anything, to hunt.

I've only known 1 person with level 50 MF PA's, and level 50 GM PA's.
Not sure about their melee. And that person had a 45k ID (pretty high on the PC/ps2 seeing how we are at 53-55k now).

Mikura
Sep 12, 2009, 03:53 PM
Tet, I lvl my PAs because I want to get stronger, and aside from better gear, which I already have, PAs is about the only thing left for my characters to grow. Does boredom play a factor in this? Sure it does, I'm not going to lie. But it's something I want to do as well. I got plenty of games I play outside PSU, and I even decided to come back to FFXI since I need some sort of MMO fix, but I still like to log on to play PSU on occasion to play with friends or lvl my techs. It's not a waste of time as long as I still enjoy playing the game, right?

But anyway, aside from all that, I simply asked the question because lvling all the PAs in the game is a pretty daunting task, and I was curious how many players actually accomplished this goal. And Tet, don't take this the wrong way, but if you have such rage against ST and PSU, why do you continue to post in these forums? You make valid points in your posts, but it's not going to solve anything either.

Tetsaru
Sep 12, 2009, 05:10 PM
Tet, don't take this the wrong way, but if you have such rage against ST and PSU, why do you continue to post in these forums? You make valid points in your posts, but it's not going to solve anything either.

I thought I already made it clear why I continue to post here. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2362239&postcount=22)

I understand if you still enjoy playing PSU with your friends; that holds true for any game. What I DON'T understand is why you continue to play PSU if leveling PA's you'll probably never use is the only real achievement you can get out of the game at this point. :confused:

*EDIT* Guess I should sig that post too, lol...

Dragwind
Sep 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
Keep the discussion on-topic folks. The main topic is about maxing PAs.

Mikura
Sep 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
I thought I already made it clear why I continue to post here. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2362239&postcount=22)

I understand if you still enjoy playing PSU with your friends; that holds true for any game. What I DON'T understand is why you continue to play PSU if leveling PA's you'll probably never use is the only real achievement you can get out of the game at this point. :confused:

*EDIT* Guess I should sig that post too, lol...

They are PAs I use. I have 3 characters, each with 2 different classes, so it just adds up to a lot of PAs to lvl. I still don't quite understand the point of criticizing a company when they obviously won't change how they are, but I'll let it go.

So yeah, back on topic. Can anyone contribute to this thread that's maxed all the PAs in the game personally? I'm a little surprised at least one person hasn't come forward yet.

relentless
Sep 12, 2009, 06:00 PM
I had that as an idea when I still played...
But my laziness is greater than Dragon S*kai's sparkling outfit, sadly.
I wasn't able to stand the repetition when lvling PAs, at that point afk'ing in a lobby
waiting for random people to come by and then scream at them was more entertaining.

Mikura
Sep 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
I had that as an idea when I still played...
But my laziness is greater than Dragon S*kai's sparkling outfit, sadly.
I wasn't able to stand the repetition when lvling PAs, at that point afk'ing in a lobby
waiting for random people to come by and then scream at them was more entertaining.

I'm sure it isn't "hard" to do, but having to combat the repetition of it can be the biggest hurdle to overcome. It really does pay off though once they are capped.

desturel
Sep 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm working on maxing out everything, but some of the PAs are annoying to level. Sometimes I find myself leveling a second copy of a maxed PA instead of doing the annoying ones and getting them done.

So far I have:
Every Striking PA 50 or 40 depending on their cap. Whips are 30.

All offensive techs to 50 (although I'm working on my second batch for most of them).

All support techs are 41 (I'll buff party them up to 50 some day)

All gunmaster bullets to 50 except for Barada Chamga (40), Mayalee Shot (33), Phantasm Prism (30), Mayalee Prism (21), and Twin Penetration (1... just realized I never leveled it)

I'm working on longbows right now.
Ensei-sou 34 54%
Reisei-sou 37 85%
Raisei-sou 33 70%
Jisei-sou 32 65%
Yousei-sou 33 82%
Insei-sou 34 78%
Chousei-sou 13 14%
Masei-sou 37 61% (this should be 40 by the end of today or tomorrow then I'll switch to Chousei-sou)

Also in the works currently are handgun bullets:
Burning Hit 34
Frozen Hit 32
Plasma Hit 26
Grav Hit 27
Rising Hit 35
Dark Hit 36
Penetrating Hit 40
Mayalee Hit 16

For Grenades I have Boma Maga (insta Freeze) and Boma Banga to work on.

For cards I have Kyumeisei-shiki (hp steal) left, but no desire to work on it right now since I don't have enough cards for how much PP it sucks up.

There's a few crossbows left to get to 40, but they are all around 38. The only reason why they aren't 40 is because I've been working on Masei-sou as a Protranser instead of a Guntecher.

Powder Keg
Sep 12, 2009, 06:50 PM
A few people I've teamed up with have all of their PAs at the max level. I don't think it's every PA in the game, though. I'll never get even close to that...I get bored too easily trying to level them alone.

Clearly, Tetsaru's goal is to derail every topic with his BS. Whether it's valid or not is irrelevant. It's annoying, old, and uncalled for, period.

biggabertha
Sep 12, 2009, 07:06 PM
I've found that of all of the PAs I've leveled, there are only three annoying ones:

Mayalee Prism
Mayalee Fury
Masei-Sou

Any of the other PAs, just take a little bit of time to level but those three are extremely annoying to level. (Masei-Sou won't be after the supplemental update).

But at the moment, those three are THE most useless PAs in the game and the most costly.

As for getting all PAs maxed out - my own challenge is getting all of them maxed out and yeah, for bragging rights and because I'm a collector wanting a full set of things.

Ever seen anyone with 151 individual Lv. 100 Pokémon in the Red/Blue/Yellow days...? Yeah, I'm THAT much of a collector...

desturel
Sep 12, 2009, 07:15 PM
Mayalee Prism
Mayalee Fury
Masei-Sou

I actually never had a problem with Mayalee Fury. I just stood at the back of De Ragan's Foot in plains Overlord and shot him for about 4 hours. I had about 13 machineguns and 10 photon charge cosmos.

Mayalee Prism, otoh, is much more difficult since there isn't really a good spot to level it. Sakura Blast seems to work the best for me, but it's still not the best. If creatures didn't slide up and down the walls when they were blown away it would be great to just get a bunch of creatures in a corner somewhere like Scared Planet or Lightning Beasts.

Mikura
Sep 12, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've found that of all of the PAs I've leveled, there are only three annoying ones:

Mayalee Prism
Mayalee Fury
Masei-Sou

Any of the other PAs, just take a little bit of time to level but those three are extremely annoying to level. (Masei-Sou won't be after the supplemental update).

But at the moment, those three are THE most useless PAs in the game and the most costly.

As for getting all PAs maxed out - my own challenge is getting all of them maxed out and yeah, for bragging rights and because I'm a collector wanting a full set of things.

Ever seen anyone with 151 individual Lv. 100 Pokémon in the Red/Blue/Yellow days...? Yeah, I'm THAT much of a collector...

I know how you feel. I like to have everything "complete," even the crap I'll probably never use. It's always been my goal to max out everything, but whether or not I attain that goal before I quit PSU is another story. xD I'll keep trying in the mean time though.

I haven't even started on any of the bullet frag PAs except Killer Shot either, but I can't imagine anything being much worse than lvling Megiverse. ._. I hope we get some pannon rooms again in the near future. <.<

Kizeragi
Sep 12, 2009, 09:02 PM
If having all PA's maxed back when the cap was 30 counts, I done that. xD
As for all lv 40-50 PA's, I can't because I already quit. =/
I would have attempted it though, if I still played that is.

desturel
Sep 12, 2009, 09:09 PM
Masei-sou 37 61% (this should be 40 by the end of today or tomorrow then I'll switch to Chousei-sou)

Now it's 40 so it only gets about a level an hour in the high 30's which isn't bad. Much better than some of the other things I've been leveling. The biggest problem was that initial push since the accuracy modifier on Masei-sou is horrible.

biggabertha
Sep 12, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, Masei-Sou was a real struggle to get to Lv. 40 for me but once you get it past like, 11 or so, it becomes so much easier.

Ooh, I didn't think of that for leveling Mayalee Fury - I just used Rescuing Hyuga for it. I'll remember that when I do my other two Mayalee Fury PAs. THankfully, I won't have to make another one go to Lv. 40, heh heh.

pinkace
Sep 12, 2009, 10:20 PM
A guy I know, I first met him when PSU was first released, his card is one of my oldest and his ID is 500-something... he has every skill and every bullet maxed out. He plays the same character, he only has one, a male cast by the name of Solobaric.

he doesn't play force. for some reason he is never bored and he is always on.

SStrikerR
Sep 13, 2009, 12:06 AM
Constantly singling me out is what's uncalled for. We both posted our opinions on the topic, but you had to go and insult me again. I put spoiler boxes and warnings before my rants now, what else does it have to take!?

You don't have to read what I post, so get the fuck over it. I don't make mockeries of your posts. =/
Artea, don't even respond to his trolling.

milranduil
Sep 13, 2009, 03:27 PM
Constantly singling me out is what's uncalled for. We both posted our opinions on the topic, but you had to go and insult me again. I put spoiler boxes and warnings before my rants now, what else does it have to take!?

You don't have to read what I post, so get the fuck over it. I don't make mockeries of your posts. =/

What's uncalled for is how you say you want to see this game succeed then come onto THESE forums, where there is hardly anyone here who has active power in SEGA, and rant, complain, and whine about why people do what they do in game. So, in a way you're the one making mockeries of others' posts.

On-topic: I'll probably attempt to max every PA next summer or during winter break if I get bored enough. Mostly got bullets to work on, and some random skills, but TECHNICs are capped! lol

The_Brimada
Sep 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't play techer serious enough, so I'll never have every PA maxed. For some reason after the original MAG event I stopped caring about a lot of things(including level caps)

Delete
Sep 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
I'm sure it isn't "hard" to do, but having to combat the repetition of it can be the biggest hurdle to overcome. It really does pay off though once they are capped.

How does it pay off? Because you look cool with all PA's at 50? (just wondering) :wacko:

I have never seen anyone with all skills maxed and hope I never will. I mean everyone has to have some kind of life I would hope Lol. <----------Don't take that seriously people @__@

Off Topic for a second:

Also with the Tetsaru situation, why is everyone on his case for? You don't like what he posts, then don't read it easy and simple. ^^;

Mikura
Sep 13, 2009, 04:38 PM
How does it pay off? Because you look cool with all PA's at 50? (just wondering) :wacko:

I have never seen anyone with all skills maxed and hope I never will. I mean everyone has to have some kind of life I would hope Lol. <----------Don't take that seriously people @__@

Off Topic for a second:

Also with the Tetsaru situation, why is everyone on his case for? You don't like what he posts, then don't read it easy and simple. ^^;

I just meant it pays off because your PAs do a lot of damage when they are capped? Plus, you get to fully take advantage of what a class has to offer. It's a bit pointless playing a Master class when your PAs aren't even capped to fully realize the potential that particular class has.

And personally, I'd be impressed if someone capped all their PAs. At least for the one class they play as. It shows they put a lot of time and work into that class and take some pride in it.

biggabertha
Sep 13, 2009, 06:19 PM
And personally, I'd be impressed if someone capped all their PAs. At least for the one class they play as. It shows they put a lot of time and work into that class and take some pride in it.

I have all 56 useable PAs capped for my Protranser! (16 Melee at Lv. 30, 40 Ranged at Lv. 40)

That character will never be any other class other than Protranser - so now...! will you bow before me..?! :wacko:

desturel
Sep 13, 2009, 06:41 PM

Not really. I capped all fighmaster PAs and I rarely ever play that class. Some classes are easier to cap than others. Wartecher is extremely easy to cap. fighmaster. or any melee based class for that matter, is easy to cap. Protranser, Guntecher, Fortegunner and Masterforce take a bit of dedication to complete.

Mikura
Sep 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
Not really. I capped all fighmaster PAs and I rarely ever play that class. Some classes are easier to cap than others. Wartecher is extremely easy to cap. fighmaster. or any melee based class for that matter, is easy to cap. Protranser, Guntecher, Fortegunner and Masterforce take a bit of dedication to complete.

The melee PAs may be an exception to this, but it still applies to everything else.

And Alex, I'm not bowing down to you until you learn to stay on one subject while we're talking in-game, you ADD freak. >_>

syouz
Sep 13, 2009, 07:47 PM
all techniques to 40

swords PA 50
Axes PA 50
Spears PA 50
Double Saber PA 50

and the rest of melee to 40

i dont lvl up bullets that much but i have the longbow to 40 (elemental only)
shotguns to 40

and the other are above 21 exept for machineguns

darkante
Sep 13, 2009, 10:43 PM
I doubt i get ever get everything maxed, but i do try to get things to a useful level.
I need more motivation then that to get back to the game.

Ruru
Sep 14, 2009, 02:10 AM
And Alex, I'm not bowing down to you until you learn to stay on one subject while we're talking in-game, you ADD freak. >_>

XD inorite.

as for PA's, i've capped all the PA's on AF that i care to use. in total about 30 PA's for AF i have capped. i might do more at some point but its not anywhere close to the top of the list of things i want to do before sega shuts down the PC/PS2 servers.

i'm getting close on my MF to capping things. all my gi techs are almost 41, everything else is either 41-50 aside from a few techs that i'm saving for last. (megiverse damdiga dammegid)

Aeris the techer
Sep 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
I strongly reccomend not leveling your pa's to 50. I leveled my masterforce pas to 50 and it all went downhill from there. Yes, shortly after the masterclasses came out I wanted to max every single Tech in the game to 50 and I did so. Shortly after that I became insanely bored with this game and decided to try for the next goal, getting a master palette. After a couple of months I gained enough money to buy a palette of 10/10 psycho wands. There was literally nothing left to do in my opinion and I quit this game. If you want to enjoy this game take it in moderation, don't take the fun out of it like I did. I had the game for 2 and a half years and I must say things were a lot more fun when people just hung out and took things slowly. Not to mention how much more challenging the game was in 2007. The point is, just chill out and have fun with this game or you will end up quitting like me :(

Mikura
Sep 14, 2009, 08:11 PM
I strongly reccomend not leveling your pa's to 50. I leveled my masterforce pas to 50 and it all went downhill from there. Yes, shortly after the masterclasses came out I wanted to max every single Tech in the game to 50 and I did so. Shortly after that I became insanely bored with this game and decided to try for the next goal, getting a master palette. After a couple of months I gained enough money to buy a palette of 10/10 psycho wands. There was literally nothing left to do in my opinion and I quit this game. If you want to enjoy this game take it in moderation, don't take the fun out of it like I did. I had the game for 2 and a half years and I must say things were a lot more fun when people just hung out and took things slowly. Not to mention how much more challenging the game was in 2007. The point is, just chill out and have fun with this game or you will end up quitting like me :(

I can't speak for the rest, but I don't think I'd quit after maxing my PAs. I like to always strive for new things as well in games, but I also like to just sit back and enjoy all that work I put into maxing my PAs out by just beating the snot out of everything for fun. Once again, it's the same thing I preach in every game: What's the point in obtaining all your goals if you're just going to quit shortly thereafter without enjoying the fruits of your labor? I see that all the time in MMOs and it just makes me sad because it seems like such a waste after it's all said and done.

milranduil
Sep 14, 2009, 08:14 PM

Granted you might get bored, but that's the point where you try new classes. I've got a pretty maxed out techer palette myself with all 34 techs at 50, but I love playing MF. I practically never get bored of it!

Ellipsis...
Sep 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
Leveling PA's is my biggest weakness in this game...

It's like pushing a button 1,000,000 times with minimal variation. Only after pushing that button 100,000 times will the skill in question change to a predetermined state that I am already very well aware of. Then I realize I am only 1/10th done with this 1 PA and realize there's 100 other PA's.

Imagine watching the same 5 second clip of a video 1,000,000 times. That's what leveling PA's reminds me of... At least spamming White Beast is more like watching an 8 minute video 100 times...

Tetsaru
Sep 14, 2009, 08:35 PM

It's like pushing a button 1,000,000 times with minimal variation. Only after pushing that button 100,000 times will the skill in question change to a predetermined state that I am already very well aware of. Then I realize I am only 1/10th done with this 1 PA and realize there's 100 other PA's.

Imagine watching the same 5 second clip of a video 1,000,000 times. That's what leveling PA's reminds me of... At least spamming White Beast is more like watching an 8 minute video 100 times...

Lol, I couldn't agree more. I got several of my bullet PA's in the 40+ range before I quit, but it was SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS to level them up. Many of them barely got into the 10+ range because there simply wasn't any point in me using them because there were never any other people to play with on the missions that had the enemies with those elemental weaknesses (mostly Moatoob, which doesn't surprise me). Then, when I play my friend's PSP game, I freak out because suddenly I'm gaining a PA level every block of the map, lol... @_@

milranduil
Sep 14, 2009, 08:36 PM

That's why I tend to level PAs while hunting something. If I can get something out of it besides 100 more damage, then I'll try to come quietly >.>

Lol, I couldn't agree more. I got several of my bullet PA's in the 40+ range before I quit, but it was SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS to level them up. Many of them barely got into the 10+ range because there simply wasn't any point in me using them because there were never any other people to play with on the missions that had the enemies with those elemental weaknesses (mostly Moatoob, which doesn't surprise me). Then, when I play my friend's PSP game, I freak out because suddenly I'm gaining a PA level every block of the map, lol... @_@

Every block? And isn't the PA cap like 30? God I would love that here, so I could never worry about PA lvling again lol.

desturel
Sep 14, 2009, 11:22 PM
I strongly reccomend not leveling your pa's to 50. I leveled my masterforce pas to 50 and it all went downhill from there.

Well, I've capped out techer and I'm still playing. Could it be that different people find different things enjoyable? I don't understand why people think because they got bored after capping out their character that everyone else will as well.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well, I've capped out techer and I'm still playing. Could it be that different people find different things enjoyable? I don't understand why people think because they got bored after capping out their character that everyone else will as well.

If you actually read the entire post that you quoted you will find out that having capped PAs is only part of the problem.

Anyway, if you have your character's level capped, all of their PAs capped, and all of the best equipment, what else is left to do in PSU? I know, you can wait for them to increase the level cap, provide a way to increase your PAs further (Supplemental Update) or hope that they release a mission with better weapons. Basically PSU's end-game content is grinding for one of those three categories.

What this means is that the sooner you cap all three categories the sooner the waiting game starts. PSU has no natural end-game content! Heck, even Time Attacks are not supported well as the regular mission timer does not track seconds nor are there any leaderboards or best time tracking outside of the party misisons.

desturel
Sep 15, 2009, 02:04 AM
If you actually read the entire post that you quoted you will find out that having capped PAs is only part of the problem.

That is still their problem. If you had read my post, you would have seen that their problems are not my problems. Don't try to push your world view on me.

If you want me to provide a specific example, I would not "buy" a pallet of +10 Psycho Wands and call it a day. I'd "attempt to make" a pallet of +10 Psycho Wands. And by "attempt to make" I don't mean, go and buy all of the boards, materials, and S+10s from a shop. I mean farm the materials, boards and other items myself. Farm the grinder base S myself. Make the Base S myself and grind the weapons with the materials I've farmed for myself.

Anyone who has played with me for any decent amount of time will attest to this. I make my own stuff. It's what I do. You may get bored doing that. That's fine. Don't try and tell me that I'll get bored doing it. I'm not.

Saying things like I strongly reccomend not leveling your pa's to 50 is assanine. That's the reason why you got bored. Don't assume that everyone else will get bored doing it.

You might as well tell people never to play any video games at all because eventually you'll get bored with it. It's better to never start at all, that way you won't be disappointed in the end. In fact, don't do anything ever because there's a chance that one day you'll be bored with it. We can't let that happen so just stop now before you start.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 15, 2009, 11:43 AM
That is still their problem. If you had read my post, you would have seen that their problems are not my problems. Don't try to push your world view on me.

If you want me to provide a specific example, I would not "buy" a pallet of +10 Psycho Wands and call it a day. I'd "attempt to make" a pallet of +10 Psycho Wands. And by "attempt to make" I don't mean, go and buy all of the boards, materials, and S+10s from a shop. I mean farm the materials, boards and other items myself. Farm the grinder base S myself. Make the Base S myself and grind the weapons with the materials I've farmed for myself.

Anyone who has played with me for any decent amount of time will attest to this. I make my own stuff. It's what I do. You may get bored doing that. That's fine. Don't try and tell me that I'll get bored doing it. I'm not.

Saying things like I strongly reccomend not leveling your pa's to 50 is assanine. That's the reason why you got bored. Don't assume that everyone else will get bored doing it.

You might as well tell people never to play any video games at all because eventually you'll get bored with it. It's better to never start at all, that way you won't be disappointed in the end. In fact, don't do anything ever because there's a chance that one day you'll be bored with it. We can't let that happen so just stop now before you start.

The problem is that you are creating challenges for yourself in PSU because the game has nothing left to offer. So your overly complex system to lengthen how you acquire your weapons is your own choice. The one thing PSU has done well is support Player Stores and the free economy, it's too bad that your self-imposed challenge is denying you this aspect.

Also, we have already covered the aspect that having capped PAs is only part of the problem so to keep regurgitating that issue is like beating a dead horse. We are not denying that capping your PAs will not automatically make the game boring, but it is one factor in making PSU boring as it is simply a threshold that cannot be bypassed (at least until the Supplemental Update and who knows when, if ever, we will get that).

Think of it this way, once your PAs are capped it is one less thing that you will ever have to work towards. Sure, there are many other things that you can still spend your time doing in PSU but that is one supported aspect that is gone forever (unless you want to relevel all of your PAs from scratch).

You have your opinion just like I have mine, and I am not saying that your opinion is wrong. My point is that cappping your PAs is one of the few challenges that PSU can actually support and would be the closest thing to end-game content as it requires hundreds of hours of grinding to complete. Once it is finished it is just another barrier down and one less thing left to do in PSU. Sadly, PSU has no real end-game content so the only way to keep yourself interested would be to create these challenges, just as you have done, to keep yourself interested.

Tianna
Sep 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
I have ALOT of my GM and FM pa's maxed but not quite all. I have never been one to set a goal just for "maxing" my pa's. Maybe that is why I don't get bored so easily. The ONLY thing I grinded out seriously was getting my PT from 0-15 in a day and a half. Ya know what?...that was still fun because I had spAwn, Finix and Wolfy to run with and they are awesome friends and great teammates to run with....time flew by and BAM.. I was at PT 15 for the race we were scheduled to run. I thought that was pretty impressive mostly because it wasn't a chore.
Lately I have been running with spAwn and my husband, Chelsea and we have sooo much fun while mugunruk hunting an leveling all sorts of pa's.

Friends, friends, friends...concentrate on that and having fun and everything else kinda disappears. And btw just to add thnx to all my other friends on here for keeping this game fresh and fun : Maz, Roars, Enzylon-2, Vincent, Grace, Vinitrex, Sgt. Pepper, Pillar, Froman, Epa

desturel
Sep 15, 2009, 01:25 PM
The problem is that you are creating challenges for yourself in PSU because the game has nothing left to offer.

Excuse me? I've been doing this since PSU came out. So by your logic, the game never had anything to offer me. I've been playing this game since release, so that's three years of nothing that PSU has been offering me. There are vary few games that I'll play for three years continuously. There are NO games that I would play for three years if I didn't like them.

Again, you don't know me. Don't try and label me with your world view. I've always made my own weapons. I can count how many weapons I've bought for my own use from other people on one hand. Most of the times when I purchase weapons from other people's shops, it's either to sell to the NPC because it's under priced or to resell back to people at a later date (like the recent grind boost).

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Excuse me? I've been doing this since PSU came out. So by your logic, the game never had anything to offer me. I've been playing this game since release, so that's three years of nothing that PSU has been offering me. There are vary few games that I'll play for three years continuously. There are NO games that I would play for three years if I didn't like them.

Again, you don't know me. Don't try and label me with your world view. I've always made my own weapons. I can count how many weapons I've bought for my own use from other people on one hand. Most of the times when I purchase weapons from other people's shops, it's either to sell to the NPC because it's under priced or to resell back to people at a later date (like the recent grind boost).

Whatever keeps you playing. My point was that to spend time making weapon, grinding them and continuing the process takes a lot of effort. Some would say even more than earning enough meseta to purchase an already grinded weapon. So you have used this method since you started playing PSU, great. But why adhere to it unless you enjoy the challenge?

Again, this is a self-imposed challenge and helps to keep PSU interesting beyond its scope. Despite how you justify it to yourself there is no need to use such a method to acquire all of your gear. Sure, it is your choice and you can play any way that you want but this is a restriction none-the-less.

milranduil
Sep 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
Whatever keeps you playing. My point was that to spend time making weapon, grinding them and continuing the process takes a lot of effort. Some would say even more than earning enough meseta to purchase an already grinded weapon. So you have used this method since you started playing PSU, great. But why adhere to it unless you enjoy the challenge?

Again, this is a self-imposed challenge and helps to keep PSU interesting beyond its scope. Despite how you justify it to yourself there is no need to use such a method to acquire all of your gear. Sure, it is your choice and you can play any way that you want but this is a restriction none-the-less.

That effort I can understand personally. I myself just last boost had several Psycho Wands lined up for grinding boards and mats which I had farmed during STD. So granted it wasn't hard, but I got them with my own two virtual hands so to speak. I synthed them. And I made one of them 10/10 with my own S+10s. I can understand where desturel is coming from as when you do that, knowing that you made this awesome weapon with 100% of your own effort, it is really quite satisfying, at least for me it was.

Gen2000
Sep 16, 2009, 05:45 AM
Every single PA maxed? No, I level and max out useful PAs. Some 2 or 3 times. I find it pointless to level up worthless PAs that you'll never use though (i.e. most Handgun PAs). Even if supp. update makes the worthless ones useful again I rather not have it already maxed out the day it hits here so I can actually have something to do.

If that's what you got to do keep yourself playing nowadays then more power to you.

Delete
Sep 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
I just meant it pays off because your PAs do a lot of damage when they are capped? Plus, you get to fully take advantage of what a class has to offer. It's a bit pointless playing a Master class when your PAs aren't even capped to fully realize the potential that particular class has.

I know someone who has all there bullets at 50, his name is Dragon (the original one)
Sure it's all good he can do more damage then most gunners, but really, is that really something to go around bragging about? Fighting PA's are a little different because they level up decently, unlike bullets and technics.

Mikura
Sep 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
I know someone who has all there bullets at 50, his name is Dragon (the original one)
Sure it's all good he can do more damage then most gunners, but really, is that really something to go around bragging about? Fighting PA's are a little different because they level up decently, unlike bullets and technics.

Eh, sorry for late reply. And no, it's not something to brag about. But at least he's realizing the full power of what his class has to offer (at least at the moment given our capped level and pre-supp. update stats). If I cap all my PAs, it's not for bragging rights, but simply because I want to be the best I can be for my class.

pikachief
Sep 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think i know 2 people now who have done this. I should do this just to have it done but i gots lots of other things i'd rather do :)

Squirrel3D
Sep 17, 2009, 10:43 PM
Like desturel, I too have owned PSU from the day it was released circa October of 2006. All of my PAs are not maxed for a very good reason:

Because I have a life and I don't sit in front of my TV 24/7 trying to level up every single Photon Art that all four of my Thomas' characters have.

And if that is you, then you need to get the hell out of the house more often.

Delete
Sep 17, 2009, 11:20 PM
Eh, sorry for late reply. And no, it's not something to brag about. But at least he's realizing the full power of what his class has to offer (at least at the moment given our capped level and pre-supp. update stats). If I cap all my PAs, it's not for bragging rights, but simply because I want to be the best I can be for my class.

My fault man, I wasn't aiming that at you. I meant Dragon. I'm sure someone on this board has seen him Spamming "Best Gunmaster In The Game" Repeatedly for hours while he's AFK.

desturel
Sep 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
And if that is you, then you need to get the hell out of the house more often.

Your logic is astonishing. If your life is so worthless that the only way you can find value in it is by attempting to belittle others, then I believe you are the one who needs to get a life. You have no right to dictate what I do with my free time. It seems that many people in this thread still don't get it. Just because you don't want to do it, doesn't mean I don't want to do it.

autumn
Sep 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
Only person I'd seen on the PC/PS2 side who had awesomely high PA levels was CrackaJ (I'm sure there are others, just no I a)ran with or b) happened to look at while running with them) I don't know how much he played but I'm pretty sure he worked and was married. I guess you can look good and have a life, who'd have thought?

Yunfa
Sep 25, 2009, 10:07 AM
"Having a life," is overrated.

Throwing a party and getting wasted after 18 shots of rum? Now that's something to boast about.

- I woke up and my 360 Elite was gone on my game shelf, apparently some shady spanish kid invited himself over while I was passed out. What did I do? I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE! HUURRR HUURRR HUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

Back to topic, everything of my characters are maxed out cept for...BULLETS ON MY messed up Guntecher/Gunmaster, bullets are just sooooo boring to level!

- Regarding to goals, aim for something like "I want a rainbow set of Agito Repcas," or "I want at least one of every single weapon grinded to 8/8 that exist in the game!"

desturel
Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 AM
- Regarding to goals, aim for something like "I want a rainbow set of Agito Repcas," or "I want at least one of every single weapon grinded to 8/8 that exist in the game!"

Every weapon in every element or would a neutral Agito Repca 8/8 do? I don't think you would have the space for one of every weapon of every element.

Squirrel3D
Sep 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Your logic is astonishing. If your life is so worthless that the only way you can find value in it is by attempting to belittle others, then I believe you are the one who needs to get a life. You have no right to dictate what I do with my free time. It seems that many people in this thread still don't get it. Just because you don't want to do it, doesn't mean I don't want to do it.

And did I mention your name in that post? How the hell do you know what kind of life I live when you don't even know me in real life?

Your a grade A jackass.

desturel
Sep 25, 2009, 11:16 AM
And did I mention your name in that post? How the hell do you know what kind of life I live when you don't even know me in real life?

Again with the hypocrisy. It doesn't matter who you were referring to. Don't sling around insults, call people losers, and tell them to get a life if you aren't willing to take criticism for it.

Your a grade A jackass.

You're vs. Your

Cracka_J
Sep 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
Only person I'd seen on the PC/PS2 side who had awesomely high PA levels was CrackaJ (I'm sure there are others, just no I a)ran with or b) happened to look at while running with them) I don't know how much he played but I'm pretty sure he worked and was married. I guess you can look good and have a life, who'd have thought?

lolz how does a relic like me still get mentioned in psu forums :)

um, don't remember what I had with my other characters (played everything), but MF was completely maxed 50s. I really only cared about MF anyway so yeah...

and yes, I worked, am married, and did have a personal life outside of psu.
even more so now :P

GlowSticks
Sep 25, 2009, 02:21 PM
Waste of time, but good idea.

Yes its something to do, thats one of the big parts of this game is PA leveling.

But when there's not many people who play this game, its not much to show.

Sorry prefer not too. /care

You accomplish nothing in life doing it.

Mikura
Sep 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Waste of time, but good idea.

Yes its something to do, thats one of the big parts of this game is PA leveling.

But when there's not many people who play this game, its not much to show.

Sorry prefer not too. /care

You accomplish nothing in life doing it.

Well, it depends on "why" you are maxing your PAs. If it's just to show off, then I agree that it's a waste of time considering there isn't much of a population to even show off to...besides, the whole concept is silly anyway, even if we had millions like in WoW.

As for your last remark, while it's true you accomplish nothing in life maxing all PAs, the same could be same about playing any videogame in general, regardless what you're doing in them. ;p I see nothing wrong with anyone maxing PAs if they're only doing it for themselves since everyone is entitled to play PSU how they want. It may be a waste of time by another person's standards, but to them, it was time well spent. It's all subjective and how you perceive it.

Lastly, I think some players that see such feats in a game automatically insult that person out of jealousy, at least to some extent or another, whether they want to admit it to themselves or not (I am not labeling anyone here on PSOW of having reasons like that for criticizing someone but merely pointing it out as a possible reason for people to be hasty on the smack talk).

Keilyn
Sep 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
*WARNING - TETSARU IS POSTING AGAIN, DON'T GET UPSET AT ME IF YOU READ THIS AND GET OFFENDED* :disapprove:

[spoiler-box]

Again, I hate to sound like an asshole, but if you're having to resort to soloing and painstakingly leveling up PA's that you're most likely not even going to use, unless you're so utterly bored that you need yet another way to zerg your way through enemy mobs, then you need to move on to another game. I'm sorry, but other than elitism and e-peen flaunting, I never saw the point of maxing out all of your PA's, even if you're a gunner or techer. JUST USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND STICK WITH IT. Besides, we all know that certain PA's like Dus Majarra and Anga Jabroga are just so broken that there's not much point in running anything else.

"But Tetsaru, what about the Supplemental Update that's supposed to change all of that!?"

I have 3 words for you: WHAT supplemental update? Do you see Sega/Sonic Team making any effort to rebalance this game at the moment, or even giving us a clue when they intend to?? Of course not! They're too busy working on PSP2 (and ironically, I think that's a good thing, sometimes ending is better than mending), and wondering why the fuck so much lag is occurring within the game for the gajillionth time.

And to answer your question, Mikura, I've known some people who had all their techs or skills maxed, but NOT EVERYTHING. Besides, it's impossible to tell just from glancing at their character because you can only hold 36 PA's at once, unless you went to their room or something where they had the rest of them stored and just swapped em out... but seriously, anyone who has EVERYTHING maxed, just WHY?? Are you REALLY that bored?? Are you trying to impress anyone?? Better go buy another Scape Doll for 5K, because you obviously just wasted your life away...

[/spoiler-box]

Tetsaru,

I play as Masterforce and unlike Fighmaster or Gunmaster where you can level a minimum amount of PAs and get away with very good results from high powered guns and high element attribute melee weapons....

...Masterforce is the opposite

It is one of the few types out there where in order for it to be good and decent you should have all your attack techs at 41+. It is one of the types where you truly see a big difference between low techs and 41+ techs....and level 50 techs.

If you have a tech under 41 as masterforce and a situation comes up where you need to use it, you actually are at a disadvantage in Damage, Range and Element too...since a masterforce damage will either lean towards SEs on target or Elemental Weakness.

Having all the attack techs at 50 also freed up my mind. I would stop using attack techs that were at 50 in favor of leveling the others. I knew I would use them and that I needed them. When they all hit level 50 yesterday I was able to enjoy using them and they made such a difference out there.

I can agree with you part of the way on some types...but I have to disagree with you when it comes to a type like masterforce....when you play masterforce every techer knows that every bit counts :P

Mikura
Sep 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
Tetsaru,

I play as Masterforce and unlike Fighmaster or Gunmaster where you can level a minimum amount of PAs and get away with very good results from high powered guns and high element attribute melee weapons....

It is one of the few types out there where in order for it to be good and decent you should have all your attack techs at 41+. It is one of the types where you truly see a big difference between low techs and 41+ techs....and level 50 techs.

If you have a tech under 41 as masterforce and a situation comes up where you need to use it, you actually are at a disadvantage in Damage, Range and Element too...since a masterforce damage will either lean towards SEs on target or Elemental Weakness.

Having all the attack techs at 50 also freed up my mind. I would stop using attack techs that were at 50 in favor of leveling the others. I knew I would use them and that I needed them. When they all hit level 50 yesterday I was able to enjoy using them and they made such a difference out there.

I can agree with you part of the way on some types...but I have to disagree with you when it comes to a type like masterforce....when you play masterforce every techer knows that every bit counts :P

This is so true...I'm trying so hard to get my techs on MF to at least 41 or higher for this reason. There's really no point playing the class if you're under 40.

desturel
Sep 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
This is so true...I'm trying so hard to get my techs on MF to at least 41 or higher for this reason. There's really no point playing the class if you're under 40.

Until your techs are 40, it's better to play fortetecher anyway. There are situations where masterforce doesn't have a good option for dealing damage that a fortetecher does.

milranduil
Sep 25, 2009, 05:52 PM
Until your techs are 40, it's better to play fortetecher anyway. There are situations where masterforce doesn't have a good option for dealing damage that a fortetecher does.

Such as?

Gen2000
Sep 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
Tetsaru,

Gunmaster and Masterforce are nearly equal in terms of PA woes.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 25, 2009, 06:46 PM
Here's how I do things:

-I only actively spam PAs up to level 11 or 21, somewhere in that ball park. By then, I'll have all the extra features of the PA unlocked, excluding the 31 stuff.
-There are certain PAs that I will actively level.

Stuff I usually actively level to 21:

-2-handed Skills
-A select few Technics

Stuff I usually actively level to 11:

-1-Handed Skills
-Most Technics
-Cards

Stuff that takes self-motivation to level:

-The harder Skills
-Twin handguns/Machineguns

I let these level on their own:

-Rifles/Bows
-Laser Cannons
-Grenades
-Crossbows
-Handguns
-Shotguns (Because I haven't actively leveled those yet)

Keilyn
Sep 25, 2009, 07:59 PM

The only situation would be if you are some hack who has like level 20 - 40 techs trying to play masterforce :P I have tested my masterforce against my fortetecher and have found that only in Diga, Nosdiga and Foei does it have a higher damage point total, but not a higher DPS.

Sometimes a percentage increase to existing TP beats out a higher TP itself. To MF vs FT...The percentage listing on the tech PA must be over 200% by a range under 20% between level 40 and level 50 tech to actually give a higher base damage to the FT.

However, the MF still will win with level 50 techs in Damage Per Second which is why I leveled all my attack techs to 50.

Now...I will tell you where a ForteTecher fits in over a Masterforce :P

Masterforce--------------------ForteTecher--------------------Acrotecher

Sometimes you need a lot of tech damage in map....You need the right amount of tech damage to help the group, but at the same time you shouldn't sacrifice lowering your group's DPS potential in exchange for your DPS increasing....

However, the opposite is true...you don't want to increase everyone DPS potential to the point that it actually sacrifices base damage of one character and winds up lowering party DPS overall.

A Fortetecher is about Balance, not pure damage. A balance between Support and Attack Damage....If your party is small (Like having groups of 4 in the event) and you want some tech damage, but having an AT won't provide for enough tech damage and prove to be too much support...or a Masterforce is too much damage at the sacrifice of the group not having enough support....

That's when you opt to forget about Masterforce and Acrotecher and condense the two into one type....Fortetecher..

The FT wont have the DPS of the MF or the Support level of the AT....but will have a balance to provide the group with good buffing and support but also shell out enough damage to keep the group balanced and consistent.

This is what FT is great for....and talking about DAMAGE only without mentioning support should be the reason why to learn to Masterforce.

Tetsaru
Sep 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
Tetsaru,

Oh, trust me - I tried leveling a FT, and I HATED IT because my damage output sucked, I was slow, and I was dead within pretty much 2 hits of anything. I finally stuck with AT because it was faster, and much more survivable due to the omni-buff/debuff powers and more offensive weapon selection.

I just blame Sonic Team for nerfing techers so badly, especially when the elemental %'s of wands, rods, and tech-mags don't get anywhere NEAR 50%, iirc. :confused:

Squirrel3D
Sep 25, 2009, 11:48 PM
The only situation would be if you are some hack who has like level 20 - 40 techs trying to play masterforce :P

You just described Cynica Thomas. :(

desturel
Sep 26, 2009, 12:08 AM
The only situation would be if you are some hack who has like level 20 - 40 techs trying to play masterforce :P I have tested my masterforce against my fortetecher and have found that only in Diga, Nosdiga and Foei does it have a higher damage point total, but not a higher DPS.

Dimmagolus Onmagoug. Fortetecher will beat Masterforce 100% of the time. Well excluding missions where you out level the creatures by 50+ levels.

That and I clearly state that this was based off of lower than level 40 techs.

Keilyn
Sep 26, 2009, 07:35 AM
(3405/4) * 2.2 = 1872.75 (newman female 160/20 MF + Pwand casting level 50 noszonde unbuffed)
(3789/4) * 1.9 = 1799.775 (newman female 160/20 FT + Pwand casting level 40 noszonde unbuffed)

TP is subdivided by four, so I divided to gain the real world damage without respect to enemy mental strength (this is treated as though it were MST 0). I did not factor in Buffs, Rod Percentages and Elemental Weaknesses. You can factor them in yourself and find that Masterforce wins since the starting base after working with 2 variables (percentage of the PA on level 40 and 50 and starting TP) have already been solved :P

desturel
Sep 26, 2009, 09:58 AM
(3405/4) * 2.2 = 1872.75 (newman female 160/20 MF + Pwand casting level 50 noszonde unbuffed)
(3789/4) * 1.9 = 1799.775 (newman female 160/20 FT + Pwand casting level 40 noszonde unbuffed)

Why would a fortetecher use noszonde on Dimma? Raisei-sou and Raisei-shiki both outdamage noszonde. You seem to forget that fortetecher has other options. Masterforce does not.

Yusaku_Kudou
Sep 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
Love being Gunmaster, but I only have one rifle PA above 41 and two above 31... rest are in the teens or lower lol. Pretty much just use shotgun (all but inga above 41), Rising Prism (47), and my Guld & Milla. I actually have no PA on any character at 50. I switch back to the advanced classes a lot and use my already-capped LV40 PAs just because I enjoy them... like Assault Crush, Yak Zagenga, Spiral Dance, Gravity Break...

Shou
Sep 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
I just blame Sonic Team for nerfing techers so badly, especially when the elemental %'s of wands, rods, and tech-mags don't get anywhere NEAR 50%, iirc. :confused:
Actually, its techs in general that are so weak. Techs have a built-in % so if you have lvl 50 techs, they are all at least 50% in element. The mag, wand and rod % are added to the total % of a tech. That just goes to show, even further, how horribly weak techs are right now if they have ABOVE 50% element and do that kind of damage output.

If I am in a really bad party I can do some pretty decent damage compared to the other members. :-)

Powder Keg
Sep 26, 2009, 01:18 PM
Actually, its techs in general that are so weak. Techs have a built-in % so if you have lvl 50 techs, they are all at least 50% in element. The mag, wand and rod % are added to the total % of a tech. That just goes to show, even further, how horribly weak techs are right now if they have ABOVE 50% element and do that kind of damage output.

If I am in a really bad party I can do some pretty decent damage compared to the other members. :-)

It's more of a challenge to be a force-type though, especially MF. I thought that's what everyone wanted. :-?

desturel
Sep 26, 2009, 01:24 PM
Why would a fortetecher use noszonde on Dimma? Raisei-sou and Raisei-shiki both outdamage noszonde. You seem to forget that fortetecher has other options. Masterforce does not.

Add in plasma hit to that list of "things that out damage noszonde that a Fortetecher can use".

Keilyn
Sep 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
You still havent proven how fortetechers outdamage a masterforce with techs...when you have a statement saying you have done it with "lower than level 40 techs"

I haven't replied because when you choose to throw techs out the window from a primary teching class...it simply shows that your dependency to bullets should have made you choose a gunner type or hybrid type instead of a pure techer oriented type (hell...FT even gets a bonus on PP saved from techs being used)...

If I wanted bows, cards and guns...as a measure to when not using techs, I wouldn't chose Fortetecher for it :P

Tetsaru
Sep 26, 2009, 10:44 PM
It's more of a challenge to be a force-type though, especially MF. I thought that's what everyone wanted. :-?

I'm sorry, but making a class much worse off than the others does NOT constitute challenge. That's called a lack of proper job/class balancing. I agree that magic users in general, whatever RPG you play, should be physically frail, BUT if their magic doesn't deal significant enough opposite-element damage to something compared to a melee or gun weapon, or doesn't do something COMPLETELY unique that no other class can do, then something is very wrong. Technics run off of a completely different stat, for Christ's sake; their damage output should be on a COMPLETELY different scale, especially if they're having to consume more PP, their attacks are SLOWER, and you have to decide split-second which spell to use for which range, which element, etc.

Monsters that can only be killed in a certain way, or finding your way out of a labyrinth-like area with traps at every turn before time runs out, or fighting off a really badass boss that simply can't be beaten unless you have a full party that cooperates together, so you can earn some of the rarest and best equipment in the game for your class?? THAT'S challenge.

Right now, I don't see ANY such thing in PSU, and that bugged me to the point where I finally just decided to quit because I wasn't being entertained with anything to really test myself. Sure, you can do time attack runs, or gimp yourself by using C-rank equipment or something, but you shouldn't have to resort to that to make the game challenging - the game should PROVIDE that for you in the first place. If the game wanted you to do time attack runs, it should give you an option to do so, and reward you accordingly based on how well you did. Hell, some of the rewards could be unique, like faster attack animations specifically for the class you used, rather than binding it to specific classes by default. Likewise, a "challenge mode" (lol) of sorts could also be implemented. You could do a certain level over again, like you do all the time on PSU, but you could only use C rank equipment, or couldn't use any opposite-element attacks on the enemies, etc; and if you beat each challenge - BAM, another unique reward that's yours and YOURS ONLY. You shouldn't be able to trade it to some noob who never accomplished the same feat, imo (another thing that bugged me about PSU).

If Sonic Team would just implement something similar to my examples in PSU, you wouldn't have to constantly lolzergspam the hell out of a mission just for one item, and you wouldn't get so bored of that particular mission all the time. PSO (Episode I, anyway) accomplished this well by only utilizing FOUR AREAS, but gave you the option of what missions to undertake, so the gameplay was kept fresh and interesting, while still keeping the player in a familiar environment. I don't see why PSU had to take this simple concept away. :confused:

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
Every single PA maxed? God damn you gotta be one bored person or EXTREMELY dedicated to do something like that. I for one wouldn't.

Powder Keg
Sep 26, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm sorry, but making a class much worse off than the others does NOT constitute challenge. That's called a lack of proper job/class balancing. I agree that magic users in general, whatever RPG you play, should be physically frail, BUT if their magic doesn't deal significant enough opposite-element damage to something compared to a melee or gun weapon, or doesn't do something COMPLETELY unique that no other class can do, then something is very wrong. Technics run off of a completely different stat, for Christ's sake; their damage output should be on a COMPLETELY different scale, especially if they're having to consume more PP, their attacks are SLOWER, and you have to decide split-second which spell to use for which range, which element, etc.

Monsters that can only be killed in a certain way, or finding your way out of a labyrinth-like area with traps at every turn before time runs out, or fighting off a really badass boss that simply can't be beaten unless you have a full party that cooperates together, so you can earn some of the rarest and best equipment in the game for your class?? THAT'S challenge.

Right now, I don't see ANY such thing in PSU, and that bugged me to the point where I finally just decided to quit because I wasn't being entertained with anything to really test myself. Sure, you can do time attack runs, or gimp yourself by using C-rank equipment or something, but you shouldn't have to resort to that to make the game challenging - the game should PROVIDE that for you in the first place. If the game wanted you to do time attack runs, it should give you an option to do so, and reward you accordingly based on how well you did. Hell, some of the rewards could be unique, like faster attack animations specifically for the class you used, rather than binding it to specific classes by default. Likewise, a "challenge mode" (lol) of sorts could also be implemented. You could do a certain level over again, like you do all the time on PSU, but you could only use C rank equipment, or couldn't use any opposite-element attacks on the enemies, etc; and if you beat each challenge - BAM, another unique reward that's yours and YOURS ONLY. You shouldn't be able to trade it to some noob who never accomplished the same feat, imo (another thing that bugged me about PSU).

If Sonic Team would just implement something similar to my examples in PSU, you wouldn't have to constantly lolzergspam the hell out of a mission just for one item, and you wouldn't get so bored of that particular mission all the time. PSO (Episode I, anyway) accomplished this well by only utilizing FOUR AREAS, but gave you the option of what missions to undertake, so the gameplay was kept fresh and interesting, while still keeping the player in a familiar environment. I don't see why PSU had to take this simple concept away. :confused:

Despite everything you just said, it's still a challenge regardless...how is it not? It's not like something you're artificially creating (which I agree is a stupid way to make a challenge, by the way)

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2009, 12:41 AM
Despite everything you just said, it's still a challenge regardless...how is it not? It's not like something you're artificially creating (which I agree is a stupid way to make a challenge, by the way)

I guess so, but not in the proper context of good game design, I'd say. I think "hindrance" would be a better word.

I just think that if a game uses some sort of race, class, or job system (and a shitload of RPG's do), then each has to have specific pros and cons to prevent one from being "better" than all the others. Also, there must be enough significant differences between each job/class/race to give players options to fit their playing style. It just defeats the purpose of having such a system to begin with if there isn't a way to keep everything equal overall. That's why you see so many Beasts and Casts on PSU because 1 - they both have race-specific abilities while Humans and Newmans don't, and 2 - their stats are more geared towards melee and ranged classes, which PSU as a whole greatly favors.

If I had to divide pros and cons up for the 3 different fighting styles in PSU, I would do so as such:

Melee

Pros: Deals the most amount of damage to enemies overall, most survivable, most PA's are easy to level up

Cons: Has to get in close to fight in most scenarios, heavy reliance on extensive PA combos and high-% weapons for damage output, status effects are on a per-weapon basis

Ranged

Pros: Can attack effectively from any distance, sticks status effects easily, damage output rivals that of melee classes with some weapons/scenarios, and elemental %'s increase with PA level

Cons: Heavy reliance on individual bullet PA's which take much longer to level, limited options against bullet-resistant enemies

Techers

Pros: Technics are guaranteed to hit, use of completely different stats for calculating damage (although this is questionable in terms of monster techs vs. players), able to inflict status effects, able to use powerful support magic on party members

Cons: Like Rangers, a heavy reliance on individual PA's that take a while to level, smaller weapon selection, lower DPS overall compared to Melee and Rangers and the use of a different stat has little effect, Regrants is the only offensive light-element tech (and it's situational), frailty to most attacks, some technics seem "missing" (no Damzonde, Gimegid, MST/TP debuff tech, Dizas and Rentis not released yet, etc.), Regrants and Megiverse are delayed in their attacks vs. their animations, Ra- and Gi- techs only hit once on enemies with multiple hit-boxes, lack of high elemental % on weapons

I could probably think of many more to add to that list, but the "challenges," as you call them, that techers face compared to melee and ranger classes is just so much more apparent that it's hard to ignore.

fayt6
Sep 27, 2009, 07:05 AM
maybe psp2 would be better? and we can all quite psu an move to psp2?

desturel
Sep 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
You still havent proven how fortetechers outdamage a masterforce with techs...when you have a statement saying you have done it with "lower than level 40 techs"

My original statement was:

"Until your techs are 40, it's better to play fortetecher anyway. There are situations where masterforce doesn't have a good option for dealing damage that a fortetecher does."

Maybe you should read my original statement again. There was no "with techs" in it. The reason why you should stay fortetecher until all of your techs hit 40 is because fortetecher is a more balanced class. It's more survivable and gives you more options.

Your failure to recognize this makes it hard to believe you played a techer class for very long. Or maybe you just sit around with a calculator and crunch numbers which have absolutely nothing to do real world performance.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 30, 2009, 12:53 AM
Tetsaru do you ever shut up? I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knows how you hate sonic team so just stop with your useless rants that solve nothing. Every thread i see you with your little rants go find something else to do honestly your just taking up space in these threads and leave space for what they were orignally made for.

A rant about someone ranting too much; perhaps heeding your own advice is more important than offering it.

Keilyn
Sep 30, 2009, 01:30 AM
I don't care about your "original" statement. Below is what your follow up statement was

Dimmagolus Onmagoug. Fortetecher will beat Masterforce 100% of the time. Well excluding missions where you out level the creatures by 50+ levels.

Your failure to recognize this makes it hard to believe you played a techer class for very long. Or maybe you just sit around with a calculator and crunch numbers which have absolutely nothing to do real world performance.

...and your failure to recognize your own followup as well as your failure to completely stick to the argument proves not only are you immature, but a waste of my time. If you wish to argue, stick to the facts and please stop with the assumption. I already replied as to when an FT is superior to a MF......

An FT beats an MF and an AT as a type when a group needs a balance between support and attack. When your party size is small, there are situations when an AT doesn't have sufficient power and a masterforce is too offensive as well.

During those times, I like to opt to take Fortetecher.....which has its level 40 attack techs and support...along with those bows which bring SE4...It gives a good balance to a party of four along with buffs.....

You were thinking about one situation where you fight a boss....

I was thinking of the entire run itself where the group needs me for more than just a boss battle and how I would fit in.

~Keilyn

Sayara
Sep 30, 2009, 06:51 AM
Max? hah. I'd be darned lucky to have my PAs to 11!

desturel
Sep 30, 2009, 07:44 AM
You still havent proven how fortetechers outdamage a masterforce with techs...

I don't care about your "original" statement. Below is what your follow up statement was

You obviously cared about my original statement or you wouldn't have misquoted me. You made an assumption which was clearly wrong because you read one part of one sentence and failed to join it together with the follow up statement. If you can't be bothered to read more than one line or if you don't have the ability to join two lines of thought together than that's your problem, not mine.

your failure to recognize your own followup

My follow up statement "That and I clearly state that this was based off of lower than level 40 techs." Is based off an entire run as a masterforce vs. an entire run as a fortetecher. A masterforce with sub-40 skills will be slower than a fortetecher with sub-40 skills in any boss battle with a flying boss. But since you have problems joining statements together let me break it down like this:

This is based on a soloing techer with the same level skills on both characters (or the same character doing both classes) doing something like Dimma, Omna, De Rol Le, Dark Falz, etc on a map where they don't clearly outlevel the enemies by 50 levels.

You were thinking about one situation where you fight a boss....

I was thinking of the entire run itself where the group needs me for more than just a boss battle and how I would fit in.

I made an assumption that you could follow a train of thought without having every detail explained to you. What part of, there are situations where masterforce doesn't have a good option for dealing damage that a fortetecher does, do you not understand. I'm talking about situations here not every run.

If you are worried about a group needing you then you would be Acrotecher or Fortetecher. You admit this yourself.

A FT beats a MF and an AT as a type when a group needs a balance between support and attack.

Never did I state that Fortetecher will beat Masterforce in every run. Never did I state that I would gimp Fortetecher by making sure they don't use a bow/card/handgun at any time. Never did I state that once you have level 41+ techs that you might be able to eek out a win vs. a Fortetecher on a flying boss run because you are able to kill enemies faster in the regular run. Never did I state that comparing a level 160 MF and level 160 FT vs a level 20 enemies wouldn't always come out at a victory for the Masterforce. I'm talking about situations.

If you truly want to know what I think about situations (which I doubt you do), you can read this recent post (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2360201&postcount=8) that I made about leveling up as a techer character. I could go into even more detail and break down Masterforce vs. Fortetecher on every run vs every creature, but I feel that I'd be wasting my time as you seem to be unable to read complete statements before jumping to your own conclusions.

not only are you immature, but a waste of my time

Yet you took the time to respond again. Obviously I'm not as big of a time sink for you as you initially assume. :)

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
I see his post as voicing the opinion of most of us. Tetsaru really needs to stop, but hey, people are free to do what they want even if it makes them look like a moron.

Tetsaru makes many valid claims. If you do not agree with these claims then prove them wrong. If you cannot prove them wrong then maybe they have more validity than you would like to admit. Either way it is not Tetsaru's fault that so many flaws exist in PSU.

If you think that PSU is doing things well then point out the positive aspects of the game. If you cannot find any positive points to counter Tetsaru's negative points then perhaps, again, there is more truth to these negative points than you would like to admit.

A large portion of the PSU community has quit and left the game temporarily due to the handling of updates, billing errors, delays in content, etc. If this doesn't speak for itself I don't know what more you want.

Back on topic, the bad thing right now is that we have been in a holding pattern with our end-game content for the last year. SEGA has given us updates with more mission points, more experience, more 3* luck (mostly as compensation for their mistakes), more synth/grind bonuses, etc. Is this really the best way to keep players interested? Hardly as now most of us have four capped characters and a large amount of job classes that are maxed out as well.

The only thing left in PSU is for most of the players to improve their equipment but now the high-end items have outrageous prices so only a select few players can even afford them. PSU has no end-game content! As a result, maxing out your PAs is the first step in making PSU a boring grind where you try to save up enough meseta to purchase that elite weapon that costs one billion meseta.

EDIT: And by the way, calling someone a moron when they write and communicate in an intelligent manner simply demeans yourself. If you have to resort to insulting someone or calling them names in order to make a point you have already proven that you have nothing useful to say.

Keilyn
Sep 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
My follow up statement "That and I clearly state that this was based off of lower than level 40 techs." Is based off an entire run as a masterforce vs. an entire run as a fortetecher. A masterforce with sub-40 skills will be slower than a fortetecher with sub-40 skills in any boss battle with a flying boss. But since you have problems joining statements together let me break it down like this:

This is based on a soloing techer with the same level skills on both characters (or the same character doing both classes) doing something like Dimma, Omna, De Rol Le, Dark Falz, etc on a map where they don't clearly outlevel the enemies by 50 levels.

Masterforce can not use anything outside of a Rod, Wand or TCSM....therefore they have no access to skills, making them impossible to match the same level skill with an FT (who actually have access to Bullets and Skills). They can use attack techs up to level 40 matched to a Fortetecher.

However, you stated yourself that a Masterforce should not be used with techs under level 40...so why did you run a test with parameters you wouldn't even accept under normal gaming?

Your inability to type an argument correctly while holding tests under unacceptable parameters in your own defense and not to mention the fact you write replies to assumptions not present only makes you three time the failure. ^_^

Frosty7645
Sep 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
imo maxing pa is pointless...as long as there on there final tier who cares the lvl.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
imo maxing pa is pointless...as long as there on there final tier who cares the lvl.

Certain Photon Arts gain a large amount of attack % in the final 10 levels. As this attack % modifies the entire ATP pool, having even 15% additional attack can be huge.

Frosty7645
Oct 1, 2009, 06:40 PM
Certain Photon Arts gain a large amount of attack % in the final 10 levels. As this attack % modifies the entire ATP pool, having even 15% additional attack can be huge.

true like i here spinning strike gains alot but to me as long as there either 31+ or 41+
it dosnt matter the lvl of the attack im alittle on the lazy side of psu

biggabertha
Oct 2, 2009, 03:29 AM
A large portion of the PSU community has quit and left the game temporarily due to the handling of updates, billing errors, delays in content, etc. If this doesn't speak for itself I don't know what more you want.

In fairness... most of the human population don't know what they want.

Positive and unique things about PSU:

Outward appearance independent to armour.
Nostalgia and reference(s) to an impressive lineage of games. No other game can draw from such a large library of previous games.
The ability to never really make you quit. People are always drawn back to the game sooner or later. Some even stalk/lurk forums after quitting!
Making you always want more.

Isn't there a saying that goes: "The mark of a good story teller is to make your listeners/readers always want one more." As anyone playing this game knows, Sega's the KING at making you/us do this.

Besides, I don't think the argument: "I can't be bothered" is really a valid reason to not finish things but I seem to see it all over this thread.

Keilyn
Oct 2, 2009, 11:21 AM
Of course a large portion of the population play only during events and cancel when an event finishes. I had to organize my guild card list in order to create an entry/exit point due to all the players who return during events who would leave me stranded out of events.

I use Sort Priority I and II for friends, Sort Priority III for those inactive in Sort Priority I and II and Sort Priority IV for players who I talk to or play with some time. Sort Priority V is a Temporary Priority which I tend to Check after events...If a card is inactive for a long period of time in Priority V, I delete the card and move on.....else I move it to Sort Priority IV.

Powder Keg
Oct 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
We saw the biggest drop in population after the huge 060/065 errors (at least on the PC/PS2 side). That falls directly on Sonic Team. The server had around 4-5 stars during the first MAG, and dropped to 2-3 after the whole 065 issue. The last one that occured during the Protectors Gamma and Delta event pretty much killed whoever was left. I've never seen more than one star after that event. With Alpha and Beta+, there's barely more than a page of teams, and they're mostly locked anyways. If none of my friends are on or in a full game, I just log off.

Squirrel3D
Oct 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
Of course a large portion of the population play only during events and cancel when an event finishes. I had to organize my guild card list in order to create an entry/exit point due to all the players who return during events who would leave me stranded out of events.

I use Sort Priority I and II for friends, Sort Priority III for those inactive in Sort Priority I and II and Sort Priority IV for players who I talk to or play with some time. Sort Priority V is a Temporary Priority which I tend to Check after events...If a card is inactive for a long period of time in Priority V, I delete the card and move on.....else I move it to Sort Priority IV.

Well if you play the game very much...then maybe I'll play it more often with you. When I get my Xbox 360 back (hopefully next week) I'm gonna look for you! :-)

Mikura
Oct 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well if you play the game very much...then maybe I'll play it more often with you. When I get my Xbox 360 back (hopefully next week) I'm gonna look for you! :-)

I believe she's on PC/PS2 though. <.<

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 2, 2009, 04:10 PM
Damn! I generally look at people who get all PAs maxed out as those who played since day one or just a really long time! I stopped because...well...two words. Car. Insurance. Yea it could be a bitch. But hey, I might come back. That is a huge maybe.

Mikura
Oct 2, 2009, 04:16 PM
Damn! I generally look at people who get all PAs maxed out as those who played since day one or just a really long time! I stopped because...well...two words. Car. Insurance. Yea it could be a bitch. But hey, I might come back. That is a huge maybe.

I was wondering what happened to you. D: That sucks man, hope to see you back sometime.

Keilyn
Oct 2, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm on PC/PS2. ^_^

Mikura
Oct 2, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm on PC/PS2. ^_^

I knew it! I saw you on Uni 2 in the Parum Guardian's Branch a few nights ago. :3

Keilyn
Oct 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
I think I saw you as well. ^_^

I was helping a friend reach a goal of leveling three characters to 100. The event doesn't have that many items for me and the good drops require running forever to find them, so I've focused more on helping the lower level players and people I play with to level their characters to 100.

Mikura
Oct 2, 2009, 10:38 PM
I think I saw you as well. ^_^

I was helping a friend reach a goal of leveling three characters to 100. The event doesn't have that many items for me and the good drops require running forever to find them, so I've focused more on helping the lower level players and people I play with to level their characters to 100.

Yeah, I've been doing that too, as well as lvling my own alt since there's really nothing noteworthy to get that doesn't require a million runs to acquire.

rayner
Oct 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
I don't find it pointless to level all PA's to MAX, sometimes you find that you like using a certain PA more than another. Or a new mission comes along that your friends would like to play and if you have those Bullets leveled it's better off for your group. I play my main as a Guntecher and currently I have all my Crossbow Bullets @ lv 40, Twin Handgun Bullets @ lv 40 and I'm now working on my Longbow Bullets most are above lv 35. My current plan is to level 1 per day so it doesn't get that boring. I use Gi-techs + Basic Techs and have most at lv 30, just Gidiga + Megiverse left, have lv 30 buffs.

I started playing a Protranser and I'm actually kinda stoked about leveling a whole other set of PA's to Max... espeically when there is only 1 that overlaps.

Noblewine
Oct 15, 2009, 09:50 PM
I think of capping all your pa's as a good way to be prepared for whatever the game throws at you. I have noticed you will have less to do but I rather be prepared while I wait for an update.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Oct 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
All my techs are 50 (offensive and support) All bullets but mechs, grenade, and most ult ones are maxed. Currently working on my skills for lack of somthing better to do lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's been workin hard ^.-

kirtblue
Oct 17, 2009, 11:51 PM
sounds like a pain to do but im willing to bet if you work at it you could be the first

Justyn_Darkcrest
Oct 17, 2009, 11:59 PM
sounds like a pain to do but im willing to bet if you work at it you could be the first

lol I doubt that. I know alot of ppl who have most if not all their bullets/melee maxed. Thing is most ppl only stick with whatever class they like most. (myself included) I'm sure somone has maxed everything before they probly either dont play or dont post :p