PDA

View Full Version : PSU vs PSU Illuminus single player mode.

HughShaw
Sep 13, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hey guys, I just finished both single player modes and must say that the ending in Illuminus was not at all satisfying. In fact, the whole story was not that great. Your character never says a word and just stands around being a dumbass during important conversations.

The ending in PSU was much better and more touching. Ethan and Karen standing there hinting at loving one another, how romantic! :-D And at least Ethan talked unlike your character! The story was also more captivating. Yet, it seems most people prefer the Illuminus story for some strange reason. What do you guys think?

Arika
Sep 13, 2009, 04:14 AM
I think more people play AOI story, because
-1. they can receive partner cards online.
-2. although the character can't talk, it is still his character.

For the story, I think EP-1 is better.
but for the plot, I would like more for the idea of letting your character become student first (EP2), and then become teacher later.(EP3)

landman
Sep 13, 2009, 06:07 AM
Episode 2 is an introduction to Episode 3, the only good chapters of Ep2 are the final ones, and then starts the real plot :P

Also, the main character in Epi 2 is Laia, and she talks as much as Ethan.

Chibi_psu
Sep 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
Episode 1 is way better because its more a traditional rpg with a hero and all the cutscenes.For me ethan is the real main protagonist of phantasy star universe.And actually the stuff we do in story mode should be added to the normal game and free missions.If they destroy rykros then it shoukd dissapear and such

HughShaw
Sep 13, 2009, 04:15 PM
Is there any difference between EP1 & EP2 online? Or once you decide to go online, it's all the same?

3R
Sep 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
EP I, II, and III is just a prequel to a more in depth plot which will start in PSP2, or so I would like to think. After all, this story was pretty much about the Illuminus. There's still much to exploit from this universe.

Just as in Star Wars the real juice is on eps 4 5 and 6.

This is only wishful thinking thou. lol

Proff
Sep 14, 2009, 01:46 AM
The biggest thing for the story for me, starting with Episode 2, is its horrible delivery. The characters can't just say something. They have to explain it, repeat it, break it down, and finally discuss it. Not only that, but watching the same stupid little preset actions over and over, with random exploding text bubbles, just makes it all the more boring. If they'd speed things up a little bit and cut to the chase, I wouldn't find myself losing interest in what's supposed to be happening.

Zorafim
Sep 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
ep2 wasn't at all satisfying from my experience. I want to say that it was just there to flesh out the story, but it didn't even do that too well. It just felt like filler until the end, where it only got good as a setup to ep3.

That being said, I preferred the gameplay of illuminus offline more. But, they do focus on two different things. ep1 delivers well enough as a story driven game, though if you ask me it didn't seem like they focused on it. All the other parts of the offline experience suffered though, and its extra mode did nothing more than tide me over for the online experience.
ep2, yes, had terrible linear development, but its unlockables and progression had me entertained for quite a while.

I dunno, I think it's difficult to critique the game's story and single player while being fair. I'm too tempted to just say lolpsu and LOLSEGA and be done with it.