PDA

View Full Version : The Future of PSU

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 02:02 AM
EDIT(2): This topic covers more general stuff now so I just decided to rename it "The Future of PSU". I've also incorrectly named servers. There are two servers housed in San Francisco, one of which is for the worldwide 360 servers (incl. Japan) and the NA/EU PC/PS2 servers. The other server is in Japan and serves as the JP PC/PS2 one.
EDIT: Any references made to PSUNA or SoA also include EU.

I posted this in another topic and thought it deserved a thread. Reworded just to give you a general idea of what I think is coming for people playing PSUNA. I don't play it anymore (I haven't since MAG) but I think a lot of it holds true. If you don't want to hear me complain about PSU content, just scroll past all the spoiler boxes to "Whining stops here".

Preface
[SPOILER-BOX]As you all know, a great majority of players are complaining about the lack of updates or an event for that matter. Even if the NA servers had a decent event, I doubt it would do anything to bring back players. They've barely lifted a finger to add any new content to the game - I'm not talking about supplemental updates or rehashed missions here, I'm talking about simple things like new maps or new enemies. Of course, this only really applies if we're talking about the PC or PS2 servers since there's still quite a few 360 users around. Not to mention that the JP servers haven't really added any new maps or enemies either.[/SPOILER-BOX]
PSU Content
[SPOILER-BOX]The last good thing we got (in my opinion) was De Rol Le and the areas from MAG. MAG could have been much better, though. Dark Falz wasn't hard enough and his final form was a reskin of De Rol Le (ENOUGH OF DE ROL LE, HE WAS ONLY COOL FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS!). It was a constant grind to kill all the monsters.. though I wasn't surprised. Did I mention that the nostalgic factor dies pretty fast, too? I loved the PSO areas but we only got to see so little of what we grew up playing, not to mention the fact that a lot of enemies in MAG were already in PSU. [/SPOILER-BOX]
JP updates?
[SPOILER-BOX]As I mentioned above, JP isn't really doing much that's new to me. I wouldn't be a satisfied player if I was playing the JP servers. Yes, they get lots of nice events with EXP bonuses/new items/new missions/etc, but I don't see any new maps or new enemies. No new bosses either for that matter. When I play an online game I expect to see things that make me feel like I'm doing something new. I don't play WoW or Mabinogi but both those games do just this and they never take their players for a bunch of nincompoops who salivate at the same thing over and over.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Whining stops here
I know you didn't read this topic just to see what my opinion on everything was. I'd get pretty bored of listening to myself for a couple of minutes, too. The main reason why I posted this wasn't just because I thought SEGA should make better content, but because it's relevant to the future of the NA servers. Some people seem to think that PSUNA would be saved if it had all of the JP content (I really don't think so).. So let us ask ourselves a nice question. What if PSUNA could have all the JP content? Sorry to disappoint, there is no 'what if' following this question, because it simply cannot happen. At least it can't happen as fast as people would like it to. This is because of.. (gasp) ..money.

Money. With SoA gradually losing more profit over PSUNA, it gets tougher to fix bugs and localize content because, well.. doing those updates don't guarantee that they'll make their money back. If your product wasn't making much money already, you would be paranoid about putting more money into it. You can't gamble on cash unless you're willing to take a risk. PSUNA is not worth the risk - there are fewer players than there ever was before and spending the money to fix bugs or localize JP content does not guarantee that there will be a surge of new players, only old ones.

A sad truth about MMORPGs is this: the bulk of your userbase comes from the people who anticipated its release date. The growth of the userbase relies on word of mouth from the previous userbase: MMORPG companies NEED to keep their original userbase happy in order to ensure that people are saying good things and bringing newer players to the game. You need to do this through frequent updates. And more importantly, it has to happen early on. You have to update your MMORPGs with new content early in the game, not later. Otherwise you lose profit. To re-iterate, take into account an update that was delivered later than expected and the amount of players you just lost over the months that led up to said update. Those players that left over the months had the subscription moolah that was going to pay the teams to work on the update. In short: the company pays out of their own pocket instead because they lost players. Faith is lost in the product due to incompetence on the designer's behalf. Should have released that update earlier, you dolts.

You don't have to study business to know this. You just have to think logically. Maybe I'm not using all the correct lingo or saying that there are teams that don't exist but it doesn't matter how I'm saying it, the circumstances do not change. Money has to come from somewhere and if it's not coming from the players, it is coming from the pockets of the MMORPG company.

Okay, let's go further with this. Take for example two MMORPGs. One updates with new content on a monthly basis while the other waits a couple of months between each update, sometimes even longer.
1. MMORPG #1 releases new content update next month with a couple of newer enemies and a new enemy faction facility. Long-time players keep on playing because of new content. A couple of prospective players talk about how dedicated the designers are to MMORPG #1 and they subscribe. MMORPG #1 makes some hardcore cash.
2. MMORPG #2 has released a new content update after a couple of months. A new mission! Well.. except it's like that previous mission you've played except the enemies are harder and the textures are recolored. The only subscribers that MMORPG #2 makes this month are the players who have played before and previously quit. Because MMORPG #2 never constantly updated from the start, the userbase gradually diminished over time. And because barely anyone plays the game, there's no word of mouth, and thus very few players subscribing.

MMORPG #2 is obviously PSUNA. MMORPG #1 is obviously WoW or something. But you get what I'm saying, don't you? I wish I had a comical equation or picture to go along with this but I don't.

In closing, I have a couple of things to say. One, that PSUNA's future looks very grim if it hasn't already. There may be a supplemental update soon but things are probably not going to improve. It isn't too crazy to assume that it could close within two years. Two, that while I want things like new maps and new enemies, I know it's not going to happen. I'm not naive. Three, Crouch is crucial to PSUNA's survival.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/JohnHoffman/Crouch.png
I mean, look. He's like Phantasy Star's resident Chuck Norris.

Somnia
Sep 20, 2009, 02:07 AM
PSU General in a single thread right here.

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 02:13 AM
PSU General in a single thread right here.

Glad I could be of service. :3

ashley50
Sep 20, 2009, 02:25 AM
PSUNA?

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 02:31 AM
PSUNA?

The North American servers.

ashley50
Sep 20, 2009, 02:33 AM
The North American servers.

so...so you left out the EU servers? Oh well another one...

call it NA/EU as the server isn't exclusive to the NA side.

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 02:41 AM
so...so you left out the EU servers? Oh well another one...

True. I'll edit the topic title. Thanks for reminding me.

NDW
Sep 20, 2009, 02:59 AM

I think "EN" would be more fitting than "NA/EU" since the server isn't exclusive to North America and Europe only.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 20, 2009, 03:53 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/JohnHoffman/Crouch.png
I mean, look. He's like Phantasy Star's resident Chuck Norris.

Fuck you.

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 04:17 AM
Fuck you.

Hey, maybe if you stopped screwin' the pooch and started kicking some ass I wouldn't be saying that. :D

Keilyn
Sep 20, 2009, 05:52 AM
Considering that I run MMORPG servers off a fibre optic connection from where I live with a good computer and a higher player count logged in simultaneously than in this game....I can say that there is some problems in your argument.

The business model is what kills an MMO....The idea is to slow the game down as much as possible so that companies can make money from you wasting time. The difference between how much or little you accomplish is a multiplier saved to a file.

Look what ArenaNet did....they made Guild Wars, released an Expansion that did more than just add "a few monsters" and more people showed up to Guild Wars after Factions and Nightfall were released than during launch. Its ad campaign was pretty good.

ArenaNet proved you can make a good game and on game sales alone one can run the whole game for decades as they have stated they would support Guild Wars to 2050 as long as it has enough players who are interested in playing.

In fact they constantly have said that Paying to play an MMO is like marrying a game. The payment restricts your gaming and limits you mostly to that one game because you are paying for it, causing the market damage overall....To pay for another game means leaving your previous game. It creates a corporate atmosphere where one can be loyal only to one game at a time while forsaking others.

Thanks to ArenaNet, I play Guild Wars and also play PSU

Chibi_psu
Sep 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
psu is dead.Psp2 is the future

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2009, 09:34 AM
Kinda sad when a portable game is more appreciated than the online console game. Maybe it's just overhyped?

By the way, Lumia becomes hot.

Mysterious-G
Sep 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
By the way, Lumia becomes hot.

She is still underaged, duh!

Dhylec
Sep 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
The future of US/EU PSU is not looking very bright or hopeful. There is little to show it will improve now. I hope I'm wrong, though. ;|

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Considering that I run MMORPG servers off a fibre optic connection from where I live with a good computer and a higher player count logged in simultaneously than in this game....I can say that there is some problems in your argument.

The business model is what kills an MMO....The idea is to slow the game down as much as possible so that companies can make money from you wasting time. The difference between how much or little you accomplish is a multiplier saved to a file.

Look what ArenaNet did....they made Guild Wars, released an Expansion that did more than just add "a few monsters" and more people showed up to Guild Wars after Factions and Nightfall were released than during launch. Its ad campaign was pretty good.

ArenaNet proved you can make a good game and on game sales alone one can run the whole game for decades as they have stated they would support Guild Wars to 2050 as long as it has enough players who are interested in playing.

In fact they constantly have said that Paying to play an MMO is like marrying a game. The payment restricts your gaming and limits you mostly to that one game because you are paying for it, causing the market damage overall....To pay for another game means leaving your previous game. It creates a corporate atmosphere where one can be loyal only to one game at a time while forsaking others.

Thanks to ArenaNet, I play Guild Wars and also play PSU

Ideally it would work, but the "let's get them hooked on something without having to make any updates for a while" business model only works for games where things are open-ended enough. GW had more content IMO and there was a lot more you could do in it.

PSU wasn't like PSO where you could just walk into a warp and explore each individual map without being restricted by a mission. Thus, lots of missions are required to hold the player's interest because the game forces the player to have goals whenever they're hunting. Sadly, there really aren't that many missions, at least not enough. If we include all the single player/story missions we have about 90+ missions. But see, the thing is that missions aren't really all that good to start with. Most of these missions require you to get to the end of the last block and slay the last monster. And worse enough, the only variation on these quests is when you play them in harder ranks. Now listen, I'm all for slaying, I wouldn't play PSU if I didn't. But if I'm deliberately told that this mission is just about 'slaying X' then it feels more like a chore. In PSO, you didn't have to beat an entire area to reap rewards - the only thing that awaited you at the end of an area was a big mean boss, more EXP, and quite a few items (okay, so maybe there are more rewards). But PSO didn't binge on having class EXP like PSU did. If you wanted experience in your current class, you'd have to endlessly grind a certain mission that offered enough XP at the end of it - and get this - you have to kill all the monsters and do it within a time limit. If that's not a chore, I don't know what is.. :\

/rant

Mikura
Sep 20, 2009, 12:13 PM
I pretty much agree that PSU won't improve any time soon. Even if we got completely caught up with JP and got all the updates in one day, it may cause a surge in player population for a week or two, but then quickly go back down to where it is now. Simply put, the game just doesn't have enough to keep players involved, even with all the JP content.

Most important of all, content alone wouldn't be enough to salvage this game from the brink of destruction. ST would have to step up and be more involved in the game. Mainly post ads on gaming sites. That alone would do wonders for the population. Then once players that quit before saw things improving and the population increase, they would come back as well, and it would create a positive snowball effect.

Bottom line, getting all the updates and content would help, but not enough to revive the game from it's current state. To be honest, if it makes it to 2010 before shutting down, I'll be impressed. And for a game like PSU? I'd say 4 years is a pretty damn good run for it considering how shallow it is in relation to other MMOs.

Edit: I forgot to mention that ideally, what I would absolutely love to see happen is more or less scrap PSU altogether, create an entirely new PSU game that would not only be an expansion of sorts, but also a complete overhaul of the gameplay, adding elements from PSP2, along with more variety in missions akin to what we had in PSO rather than all these reskins we currently have. Not that I have anything against PSU, but I feel that the way it's designed, they're really limited to what they can do it with it content-wise. So rather than constantly struggle with it and try to salvage what's left of the game, just make a new game and start with a clean slate. I'm hoping that if the portable games do well enough, they might consider giving the console market one last shot since the PS franchise is really unique and ripe with potential. It could really set itself apart from other MMOs out on the market, but only if they execute it right. I believe with PSU, they were on the right track, but fell short on the mark on so many levels. ;/

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 02:47 PM
I pretty much agree that PSU won't improve any time soon. Even if we got completely caught up with JP and got all the updates in one day, it may cause a surge in player population for a week or two, but then quickly go back down to where it is now. Simply put, the game just doesn't have enough to keep players involved, even with all the JP content.

Most important of all, content alone wouldn't be enough to salvage this game from the brink of destruction. ST would have to step up and be more involved in the game. Mainly post ads on gaming sites. That alone would do wonders for the population. Then once players that quit before saw things improving and the population increase, they would come back as well, and it would create a positive snowball effect.

Bottom line, getting all the updates and content would help, but not enough to revive the game from it's current state. To be honest, if it makes it to 2010 before shutting down, I'll be impressed. And for a game like PSU? I'd say 4 years is a pretty damn good run for it considering how shallow it is in relation to other MMOs.

Edit: I forgot to mention that ideally, what I would absolutely love to see happen is more or less scrap PSU altogether, create an entirely new PSU game that would not only be an expansion of sorts, but also a complete overhaul of the gameplay, adding elements from PSP2, along with more variety in missions akin to what we had in PSO rather than all these reskins we currently have. Not that I have anything against PSU, but I feel that the way it's designed, they're really limited to what they can do it with it content-wise. So rather than constantly struggle with it and try to salvage what's left of the game, just make a new game and start with a clean slate. I'm hoping that if the portable games do well enough, they might consider giving the console market one last shot since the PS franchise is really unique and ripe with potential. It could really set itself apart from other MMOs out on the market, but only if they execute it right. I believe with PSU, they were on the right track, but fell short on the mark on so many levels. ;/

If PSP2 lives up to its hype and proves to surpass PSUJP, there is no doubt in my mind that they might create an expansion or an entirely new PS series from it. At the same time it's hard to say.. PSP2 is being created by the team from PSU and the team from PSZ. They'd either have to pick one of the two teams to work on the PC product or they'd have to combine both teams into one.

But what if the former were possible? Some people would argue that it seems naive, but consider this: PSP2's features are completely different from what we've seen - it is some crazy frankenstein amalgamation of PSO, PSU and PSZ. ST actually took the time to improve on a flawed system and incorporate features that appeal to previous fans of the franchise and bring in new ones. It is very suspicious.

Why, you ask? I'm speculating this:
1. The first PS portable game was to explore the profitability and possibility of a portable PSU. It was a test product - to see if it could be done. Of course, we all know this worked.
2. ST/SoJ/SEGA already had a revised system floating around somewhere but they couldn't just drop it into PSU. If it was a devastating failure, they'd lose lots of money (Players leaving due to server wipes and possible dissatisfaction with the new system). They'd need a demographic to aim it at first.. hmm, wait a minute, isn't there a portable series of Phantasy Star Universe?
3. They're releasing PSP2 with this revised system as a test product like the first game. The first one was a proof of concept: that PSU could be done on the PSP. It just had to be tweaked. Now they're going to see if the idea of a new system sells well to the public.
4. Judging by how well PSP2 sells, they're going to use this research information to determine if PSU deserves to be revitalized with a new game or a new expansion. The supplemental update in JP was to keep players at bay. TBH I don't think it's possible to have an expansion - the new gameplay mechanics would require there to be two sets of servers (one for PSU+AotI and one for PSU[P2]) which would cost SoJ too much money. If there is going to be a new game in the future, it will result in PSUEN and PSUJP being scrapped first. Like PSOBBEN there will likely be a month or two of free play before the server ends in order to get newer players interested in the newer product. Of course, PSOBBJP is still running, so you might be thinking "well if they had a new version, why wouldn't they just keep PSU and the new one as well"? I don't know, it seems that there's too much apparent similarities between the two. PSP2 is basically an upgraded PSU so there wouldn't be any reason to keep the original around if it ever came to the PC.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 20, 2009, 03:06 PM
The only flaw in your theory is that JP PSOBB is still up and running.

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 03:14 PM
The only flaw in your theory is that JP PSOBB is still up and running.

I know this. I was referring to the US version of PSOBB. Should've specified that.

Allison_W
Sep 20, 2009, 03:32 PM
If PSP2 lives up to its hype and proves to surpass PSUJP, there is no doubt in my mind that they might create an expansion or an entirely new PS series from it. At the same time it's hard to say.. PSP2 is being created by the team from PSU and the team from PSZ. They'd either have to pick one of the two teams to work on the PC product or they'd have to combine both teams into one.

But what if the former were possible? Some people would argue that it seems naive, but consider this: PSP2's features are completely different from what we've seen - it is some crazy frankenstein amalgamation of PSO, PSU and PSZ. ST actually took the time to improve on a flawed system and incorporate features that appeal to previous fans of the franchise and bring in new ones. It is very suspicious.

Why, you ask? I'm speculating this:
1. The first PS portable game was to explore the profitability and possibility of a portable PSU. It was a test product - to see if it could be done. Of course, we all know this worked.
2. ST/SoJ/SEGA already had a revised system floating around somewhere but they couldn't just drop it into PSU. If it was a devastating failure, they'd lose lots of money (Players leaving due to server wipes and possible dissatisfaction with the new system). They'd need a demographic to aim it at first.. hmm, wait a minute, isn't there a portable series of Phantasy Star Universe?
3. They're releasing PSP2 with this revised system as a test product like the first game. The first one was a proof of concept: that PSU could be done on the PSP. It just had to be tweaked. Now they're going to see if the idea of a new system sells well to the public.
4. Judging by how well PSP2 sells, they're going to use this research information to determine if PSU deserves to be revitalized with a new game or a new expansion. The supplemental update in JP was to keep players at bay. TBH I don't think it's possible to have an expansion - the new gameplay mechanics would require there to be two sets of servers (one for PSU+AotI and one for PSU[P2]) which would cost SoJ too much money. If there is going to be a new game in the future, it will result in PSUEN and PSUJP being scrapped first. Like PSOBBEN there will likely be a month or two of free play before the server ends in order to get newer players interested in the newer product. Of course, PSOBBJP is still running, so you might be thinking "well if they had a new version, why wouldn't they just keep PSU and the new one as well"? I don't know, it seems that there's too much apparent similarities between the two. PSP2 is basically an upgraded PSU so there wouldn't be any reason to keep the original around if it ever came to the PC.

I was starting to lose a lot of faith in Sega despite the fact that I enjoy PSU (and I'll admit, it still seems like they don't care that much about their English-speaking customer base), but your argument makes sense and it's very encouraging. It also tells me I'm going to have to finally get a PSP and pick up Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Portable 2, to find out what I missed, try out the new system, and show my support.

str898mustang
Sep 20, 2009, 03:55 PM
tl;dr

also INB4TETSARUBITCHES lol

Mikura
Sep 20, 2009, 04:22 PM
You make interesting observations Varia. I'm not sure if ST has enough intelligence and foresight to actually come up with a game plan like that to test the waters, but it's possible. But yeah, there is a good probability they'll release a revamped PSU for the consoles and PC if PSP2 is successful enough. Then again, they may just stick to portables from here on out and not even gamble on the other platforms again, but I hope that won't be the case. Nothing would please me more than to have a completely new and overhauled PSU on my PS3. :3 (Or PC if you prefer)

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 04:51 PM
tl;dr

also INB4TETSARUBITCHES lol

You're either incredibly lazy or illiterate. That wasn't even a page long.

Mikura
Sep 20, 2009, 04:58 PM
You're either incredibly lazy or illiterate. That wasn't even a page long.

He was taking a jab at Tetsaru. I'm surprised he hasn't come in here yet to make a post in this thread.

Tetsaru
Sep 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well, normally I would, but at this point, it's been pretty well-established that PSU is just a dead horse now. What needs to be improved upon has been discussed countless times already; at this point ACTION needs to be taken to follow through with those points...

But we all know Sega isn't going to do that. Too many companies these days are more interested in profits rather than pleasing their fans, and from a business standpoint, PSP2 seems like the best choice for funding at this point - it's a "clean slate" to start anew. Sometimes ending is better than mending, and that's why I made the decision to quit PSU in the first place back in July.

Granted, I would be love to see PSU get a complete overhaul, but I'm 99% sure it's not gonna happen, at least not anytime soon. If PSP2 is successful enough, then I suspect (if Sega is smart enough this time around and doesn't DERP it up somehow) a new console Phantasy Star title will emerge... either that, or MAYBE a new expansion for PSU, but that just doesn't seem fruitful to me.

Let PSU die, find a new game to entertain yourself with, move on with your lives, etc.

Shou
Sep 20, 2009, 05:25 PM
*Sadface*

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
He was taking a jab at Tetsaru. I'm surprised he hasn't come in here yet to make a post in this thread.

Eh. I just find tl;dr annoying.

The one thing I haven't thought of, however, is this: The lobby in PSP2 pretty much came from complaints that PSP1 had no lobby. It is very similar to PSO's lobby in that it is just a small hub that connects to various stores and to the mission counter. The reason why the big lobbies weren't ported over was because: one, you're not playing a GUARDIAN, two, the PSP can't handle massive lobbies, and three, it seems to be geared towards PSO fans (duh).

(assuming if there is a console version, because all of this is assumption and speculation): How will this transition to a console version? Will we have central lobbies like PSO that everyone chats in and then the party meets up in the Clad-6 hub? I doubt this has anything to do with whether there will be a console port or not, but it's interesting to think about.

Well, normally I would, but at this point, it's been pretty well-established that PSU is just a dead horse now. What needs to be improved upon has been discussed countless times already; at this point ACTION needs to be taken to follow through with those points...

But we all know Sega isn't going to do that. Too many companies these days are more interested in profits rather than pleasing their fans, and from a business standpoint, PSP2 seems like the best choice for funding at this point - it's a "clean slate" to start anew. Sometimes ending is better than mending, and that's why I made the decision to quit PSU in the first place back in July.

Granted, I would be love to see PSU get a complete overhaul, but I'm 99% sure it's not gonna happen, at least not anytime soon. If PSP2 is successful enough, then I suspect (if Sega is smart enough this time around and doesn't DERP it up somehow) a new console Phantasy Star title will emerge... either that, or MAYBE a new expansion for PSU, but that just doesn't seem fruitful to me.

Let PSU die, find a new game to entertain yourself with, move on with your lives, etc.

I couldn't have put it better. All we can do is hope for an MMORPG port of PSP2 or another new Phantasy Star title that does the online thing right.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
A small note on the servers but we basically have three different PSU servers operating. The first is SoJ's PC/PS2 server. The other two servers are housed in SoA's San Fancisco office, these being the regional PC/PS2 servers and the worldwide Xbox 360 servers (including Japan). Technically no one has been correct in naming the servers in this thread.

EDIT: For the sake of simplicity the servers are often called JP PSU and the Regional servers.

VariaXVIII
Sep 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
A small note on the servers but we basically have three different PSU servers operating. The first is SoJ's PC/PS2 server. The other two servers are housed in SoA's San Fancisco office, these being the regional PC/PS2 servers and the worldwide Xbox 360 servers (including Japan). Technically no one has been correct in naming the servers in this thread.

EDIT: For the sake of simplicity the servers are often called JP PSU and the Regional servers.

Thanks for clarifying this. Are the 360 servers really worldwide? I thought they were set up like the PC/PS2 servers as well.

Also, due to the broad spectrum of topics covered in this thread thus far, I've decided to rename the thread to "The Future of PSU". Not only does this have to do with the future of the NA servers but also what's going to happen as a result of PSP2's release.

Gibdozer
Sep 20, 2009, 07:44 PM
It's funny to me that the biggest detractors of PSU are always the people who have "quit" playing, but maintain an active connection to the game via the forums.

PSU is on the down swing, PSU is repetitive, PSU missed another update, PSU is dated. Guess what PSU is also 3 years old, and it's still damn fun to play. All games no matter how good will eventually collapse or be replaced. PSU has had a good run and it's not over yet, as for all the doom and gloom I'm an rpg player I love rooting for the underdog!

SStrikerR
Sep 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
that's why I made the decision to quit PSU in the first place back in July.
Yet you canceled Aug. 5 :X

Shadow Slayer
Sep 20, 2009, 10:27 PM
Psu isnt dead its just sleeping when it awakes we will all be surprised. PSU isnt over .

Delete
Sep 20, 2009, 10:36 PM
It's funny to me that the biggest detractors of PSU are always the people who have "quit" playing, but maintain an active connection to the game via the forums.

PSU is on the down swing, PSU is repetitive, PSU missed another update, PSU is dated. Guess what PSU is also 3 years old, and it's still damn fun to play. All games no matter how good will eventually collapse or be replaced. PSU has had a good run and it's not over yet, as for all the doom and gloom I'm an rpg player I love rooting for the underdog!

I may have quit (for now), but that doesn't mean I hate Psu. What I do (like others) is give my opinions which can be positive or negative. And if it's negative, I give reasons that I think make sense. You won't see me make a thread that says "OMG SEGA SUCKS" because that's just being an Ass-Noob.

pinkace
Sep 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
PSU is one of the best action RPG's ever, no one is arguing that. Even with the current content, the game is excellent.

But since the game costs $10 every month to play, you can't just say 'it's fun' and say the fee is justified. Either maintain a proper market-valued service, or void the fee. You can't have both.

I have not been active lately on the boards or the game because of some financial troubles. I am thinking about canceling for the next month or two or three, and when an update or event comes along I will rejoin. I never thought it would come to this but...................... :no: :cry:

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for clarifying this. Are the 360 servers really worldwide? I thought they were set up like the PC/PS2 servers as well.

Yes, anyone who plays PSU on the 360 is playing on the same server. This is the reason why we get our update information directly from the Japanese PSU website as they often provide it first for the Japanese 360 players.

Tetsaru
Sep 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
Yet you canceled Aug. 5 :X

Just for the record, I CANCELED my subscription in late July; it didn't RUN OUT until the date in my sig. I just find it misleading to say that I canceled in July when I was still able to play in August. :confused:

Keilyn
Sep 21, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ideally it would work, but the "let's get them hooked on something without having to make any updates for a while" business model only works for games where things are open-ended enough. GW had more content IMO and there was a lot more you could do in it.

PSU wasn't like PSO where you could just walk into a warp and explore each individual map without being restricted by a mission. Thus, lots of missions are required to hold the player's interest because the game forces the player to have goals whenever they're hunting. Sadly, there really aren't that many missions, at least not enough. If we include all the single player/story missions we have about 90+ missions. But see, the thing is that missions aren't really all that good to start with. Most of these missions require you to get to the end of the last block and slay the last monster. And worse enough, the only variation on these quests is when you play them in harder ranks. Now listen, I'm all for slaying, I wouldn't play PSU if I didn't. But if I'm deliberately told that this mission is just about 'slaying X' then it feels more like a chore. In PSO, you didn't have to beat an entire area to reap rewards - the only thing that awaited you at the end of an area was a big mean boss, more EXP, and quite a few items (okay, so maybe there are more rewards). But PSO didn't binge on having class EXP like PSU did. If you wanted experience in your current class, you'd have to endlessly grind a certain mission that offered enough XP at the end of it - and get this - you have to kill all the monsters and do it within a time limit. If that's not a chore, I don't know what is.. :\

/rant

I like your argument as I was a PSO player for a very long time.

You are right about PSO itself, but the truth about it was that PSO was a grind in PSObb with so many players doing TTF and refusing to play through the normal areas. Also the class experience was tied to the player experience itself...since you were Profession + Race + Gender class packages...and many players on endgame would look for level 190 - 200 characters...

As I recall wasn't somewhere in the 180s the halfway point in EXP that required to reach 200? Also wasn't there always a preference over section ID itself? I liked Redria and Pinkal ^^

All you are in PSU is a Race + Gender and the class is something you get to choose. Thanks to the way PSU is....It is easy to reach level 20 in a Type and move on to the next if you are interested.

As for Missions....Egg Thieves is one of my favorites because its not about "killing everything" and its Objective based, but sadly you are right....

Not just PSU is guilty of doing the "Lets kill some boss" mission....and it ends up being a "kill everything mission"...I would say every MMO is guilty of doing this...where you do so much and all the endgame is....is reaching some GIANT Boss and killing it....and when you start out you get missions like "deliver this message to X" which makes you want to shoot yourself until the action begins ^_^

I guess what annoys me the most about PSU is the fact that the game prides itself over having three planets and a colony but the game is really small and only few missions are actually good while the rest are forgotten...It really doesnt feel like a star system when I play because anyone who has played Guild Wars, Lineage 2 or Worlds of Warcraft knows that some maps exist which are bigger in area that combining half or most of one planet's maps from PSU.

SupraMedical68
Sep 21, 2009, 10:19 AM
PSU is one of the best action RPG's ever, no one is arguing that. Even with the current content, the game is excellent.

But since the game costs $10 every month to play, you can't just say 'it's fun' and say the fee is justified. Either maintain a proper market-valued service, or void the fee. You can't have both.

This is exactly I how feel as well as well. This game could have limitless potential in the right hands, and even as is it's really good.

I'm comptemplating quiting as well. I'm not sure if I will or not. It's been a great run, but considering that I've been on board with Sega since the PSO V.1 days my patience is wearing thin. Does it make any else mad that Sega is spending so much time on these DS and PSP games and has yet to announce a new PSU? :-?

I'd love to see a new PSO/PSU in development for the PC/360/PS3. Either a port PSP2 or a brand new game with fresh content would be great.

BIG OLAF
Sep 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
I've played PSU since it's release, and PSO before that. I never planned on quitting, and I've been quite steadfast in keeping my promise.But, current events are making start to rethink all that. It's sad, really.

milka
Sep 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=207&pictureid=11121

panzer_unit
Sep 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
If I had to bet, I'd bet on a new online PS game in a year or two... maybe a port or sequel of PS:Portable 2 on Wii ... mostly because games on that machine have pretty low expectations for graphics and online functionality. I'd love to see Sega take another kick at the sci-fi MMO can on PC and PS3 but that's less likely, they'd need a totally new game and would also be competing with Final Fantasy XIV.

What I'd really like is an online action/rpg remake of the classic Phantasy Star game quests/dungeons/etc. They've got no shortage of dungeons and monsters to create.

VariaXVIII
Sep 21, 2009, 11:08 AM
If I had to bet, I'd bet on a new online PS game in a year or two... maybe a port or sequel of PS:Portable 2 on Wii ... mostly because games on that machine have pretty low expectations for graphics and online functionality. I'd love to see Sega take another kick at the sci-fi MMO can on PC and PS3 but that's less likely, they'd need a totally new game and would also be competing with Final Fantasy XIV.

What I'd really like is an online action/rpg remake of the classic Phantasy Star game quests/dungeons/etc. They've got no shortage of dungeons and monsters to create.

There really isn't any competition between PS and FFXIV, it's like apples and oranges really. At least not if someone's needs are specific. People pick PSO/PSU if they want real-time action-packed fun while others pick FFXIV out of fanboyism.

pinkace
Sep 21, 2009, 11:10 AM
This is exactly I how feel as well as well. This game could have limitless potential in the right hands, and even as is it's really good.

I'm comptemplating quiting as well. I'm not sure if I will or not. It's been a great run, but considering that I've been on board with Sega since the PSO V.1 days my patience is wearing thin. Does it make any else mad that Sega is spending so much time on these DS and PSP games and has yet to announce a new PSU? :-?

I am not quitting. I will never quit. Tetsaru will never quit. Suspending your license is not quitting. I will check for updates or events every day or at least every week. And I will return when something starts happening again. I am sure Tet can't wait to get back on the game, as soon as it gets the content it deserves. I think it is the same for most of us "quitters".

What pains me the most is that they were on a roll for 2009, they were really doing great stuff... event after event and then some content and another event... it was great fun.

They just fell off the horse in late august and... so far September has been horrible. I am still hoping October will see some news.

SupraMedical68
Sep 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
What pains me the most is that they were on a roll for 2009, they were really doing great stuff... event after event and then some content and another event... it was great fun.

They just fell off the horse in late august and... so far September has been horrible. I am still hoping October will see some news.

The past month has been brutal with almost no updates, so I wouldn't be surpised if they put something out within the next month. :bondage:

If that happens and I find a new group of people to run with I may stay awhile longer.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
I am not quitting. I will never quit. Tetsaru will never quit. Suspending your license is not quitting.

Yet until they actually come back, they have quit. To date Tetsaru has quit PSU.

Think of it like AA, you are clean until the day you have a drink. You can think about drinking every day that you are clean, but until you actually take a drink you are still clean.

Delete
Sep 21, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yet until they actually come back, they have quit. To date Tetsaru has quit PSU.

Isn't there another word for that like "taking a break" or "waiting for an update"

Pinkace (like me) are not on because of the obvious, doesn't mean we quit Psu. When there's a new event, we will more then likely play the event a couple times until it gets boring.

To Quit is To depart from or leave for good. If you Quit a job, you don't have a choice to come back. However if you want a break, then you either use you vacation time or pretend your sick.

HyperShot-X-
Sep 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
seems like this whole thread mostly applies to NA PC/PS2 server only to be specific, as OP wasn't even aware that 360 was worldwide server and is far from being announced 'dead'. It's just been hibernating temporarily for the past few weeks, and hopefully it will survive for a long time until the next Phantasy Star game arrives on consoles.

landman
Sep 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
I will only quit the day I complete the Vivienne sub-plot of Episode 3, it has been months since PSU is no longer the drug I could not stop playing, I like the game but I don't care any more for levels, equips or photon arts, it's a moment I can just enjoy the game playing on C rank 2 or 3 missions and then rest for two weeks, but I won't leave the game unless I feel there is nothing new to come, and at the moment there is only story mode in my horizon, and we all know story mode continues on PSP2 after Episode 3, so there is where I will go.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 21, 2009, 04:23 PM
Isn't there another word for that like "taking a break" or "waiting for an update"

Pinkace (like me) are not on because of the obvious, doesn't mean we quit Psu. When there's a new event, we will more then likely play the event a couple times until it gets boring.

To Quit is To depart from or leave for good. If you Quit a job, you don't have a choice to come back. However if you want a break, then you either use you vacation time or pretend your sick.

Yes, for PSU the term is canceled.

EDIT: For the record, you can quit smoking and then start again at a later time, just like PSU. It is your perception of the word quit that is in error as it does not imply permanence.

VariaXVIII
Sep 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
seems like this whole thread mostly applies to NA PC/PS2 server only to be specific, as OP wasn't even aware that 360 was worldwide server and is far from being announced 'dead'. It's just been hibernating temporarily for the past few weeks, and hopefully it will survive for a long time until the next Phantasy Star game arrives on consoles.

I wasn't aware but that doesn't change the circumstances. If the NA PC/PS2 server is in danger so is 360 by extension, at least the NA region of the 360 server. I might be wrong here, but it is logical for the international 360 server to be split up into several partitions that cater to each region of the world. If it was truly international and could take resources from anywhere, there would be more lag than there currently is now.

If PC/PS2 goes down the drain, they would probably take down the NA 360 partition because it would just be taking up needless resources.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 21, 2009, 05:16 PM
I wasn't aware but that doesn't change the circumstances. If the NA PC/PS2 server is in danger so is 360 by extension, at least the NA region of the 360 server. I might be wrong here, but it is logical for the international 360 server to be split up into several partitions that cater to each region of the world. If it was truly international and could take resources from anywhere, there would be more lag than there currently is now.

If PC/PS2 goes down the drain, they would probably take down the NA 360 partition because it would just be taking up needless resources.

The 360-only servers are much more populated than the Regional PC/PS2 servers. If the Regional PC/PS2 servers go down the drain it will likely have no effect upon the 360-only servers. As it stands now the Regional PC/PS2 servers have less than 20% of the population of the 360-only servers.

Also, the reason why the 360 servers are united is because they fall under the Microsoft umbrella (MS controls their billing/memberships). Your ignorance on this issue is quite obvious and the servers will never be split by region.

Delete
Sep 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, for PSU the term is canceled.

EDIT: For the record, you can quit smoking and then start again at a later time, just like PSU. It is your perception of the word quit that is in error as it does not imply permanence.

Damn, that whole smoke thing owned me, and I thought I was on a roll. :lol:

Well.............if a tree falls in a forest with no one around, does it make a noise?

DuRaL
Sep 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
to be honest, i'm quite sure it's the 360 servers that will keep the regional PS2/PC servers alive for some time..

does anyone remember PSO GC? in 2007 when they shut down the servers, there were rarely more than 200 players online at (japanese) peak times!
the dreamcast servers only had 50 ppl max.

idk how many ppl 1 full universe is, but certainly more than 200 ^^

Tetsaru
Sep 21, 2009, 06:08 PM
I am sure Tet can't wait to get back on the game, as soon as it gets the content it deserves.

I would like to agree with this, but realistically, I just don't see it happening. At this point, I'm keeping my eyes set on PSP2, once I actually get a PSP to play it on, if it's actually GOOD. ^^;

Also, keep in mind that I'm preoccupied with FF11, (a game that's been out roughly TWICE as long as PSU and STILL gets frequent updates), and I'll probably move on to FF14 once it comes out as well, along with my other close friends.

Sorry, but Square-Enix has done a much better job of entertaining me than Sega has lately. Sure, every game company has its mistakes and flaws, but unfortunately, Sega has just developed a horrible reputation over recent years because of the lackluster quality they've displayed. I keep waiting on them to come out with something good to redeem themselves, but you know how the Sonic Cycle is. :disapprove:

I think "hiatus" is the word you're looking for... maybe "sabbatical" for more religious reasons, lol. Or possibly "holiday," if you're from Europe. :3

Well.............if a tree falls in a forest with no one around, does it make a noise?

Well of course it does. Anything that vibrates produces some form of sound. It just depends on not only WHO, but WHAT is there to hear it. ;o

idk how many ppl 1 full universe is, but certainly more than 200 ^^

Isn't 1 full star on the server list supposedly equal to around 200 people?? I thought I read that somewhere around here...

VariaXVIII
Sep 21, 2009, 07:37 PM
The 360-only servers are much more populated than the Regional PC/PS2 servers. If the Regional PC/PS2 servers go down the drain it will likely have no effect upon the 360-only servers. As it stands now the Regional PC/PS2 servers have less than 20% of the population of the 360-only servers.

Also, the reason why the 360 servers are united is because they fall under the Microsoft umbrella (MS controls their billing/memberships). Your ignorance on this issue is quite obvious and the servers will never be split by region.

Okay, I'm ignorant. Did I ever say I wasn't? This is opinionated speculation and you're free to say what you will, but I was never labeling what I said as correct. I even say I might be wrong half the time.

pinkace
Sep 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
I would like to agree with this, but realistically, I just don't see it happening. At this point, I'm keeping my eyes set on PSP2, once I actually get a PSP to play it on, if it's actually GOOD. ^^;

Also, keep in mind that I'm preoccupied with FF11, (a game that's been out roughly TWICE as long as PSU and STILL gets frequent updates), and I'll probably move on to FF14 once it comes out as well, along with my other close friends.

Sorry, but Square-Enix has done a much better job of entertaining me than Sega has lately. Sure, every game company has its mistakes and flaws, but unfortunately, Sega has just developed a horrible reputation over recent years because of the lackluster quality they've displayed. I keep waiting on them to come out with something good to redeem themselves, but you know how the Sonic Cycle is. :disapprove:

Yes or No: If this game got all of the Japanese backlog of updates within one single massive update, and after that somehow magically it started getting content at the same time as JP and in English, and the servers were merged, would you quit Phinal Phantasy and come back to PSU?

I don't doubt that the answer would be yes. That is the power of this game.

Delete
Sep 21, 2009, 10:01 PM
Well of course it does. Anything that vibrates produces some form of sound. It just depends on not only WHO, but WHAT is there to hear it. ;o

Lol, I was being a Super Noob there.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 21, 2009, 10:38 PM
Yes or No: If this game got all of the Japanese backlog of updates within one single massive update, and after that somehow magically it started getting content at the same time as JP and in English, and the servers were merged, would you quit Phinal Phantasy and come back to PSU?

That is a lot of speculation there. Then funny part is that you are saying all those things might happen for PSU just to compare it to FFXI where everything already exists.

The bottom line is the FFXI is a much better game with the only serious negative being that it is a massive time sink (it literally takes hours to go anywhere until level 18, and even then it takes a while to get a party depending upon your class). They still get steady content updates, the servers are monitored and cheaters are banned at regular intervals, they have newsleters to provide update/event information, the GMs are always available to help and answer questions, etc.

Anyway, AION took a number of players away from PSU and this trend will continue with every big release. I can only imagine what Modern Warfare 2 will do to the 360 servers. Games like Champions Online, APB, and FFXIV will no doubt lend a hand in this as well. There will always be players on PSU, just don't expect anything more than a star or two once these big games start getting released.

Tetsaru
Sep 22, 2009, 01:33 PM

That is a lot of speculation there. Then funny part is that you are saying all those things might happen for PSU just to compare it to FFXI where everything already exists.

The bottom line is the FFXI is a much better game with the only serious negative being that it is a massive time sink (it literally takes hours to go anywhere until level 18, and even then it takes a while to get a party depending upon your class). They still get steady content updates, the servers are monitored and cheaters are banned at regular intervals, they have newsleters to provide update/event information, the GMs are always available to help and answer questions, etc.

Anyway, AION took a number of players away from PSU and this trend will continue with every big release. I can only imagine what Modern Warfare 2 will do to the 360 servers. Games like Champions Online, APB, and FFXIV will no doubt lend a hand in this as well. There will always be players on PSU, just don't expect anything more than a star or two once these big games stat getting released.

Pinkace, I'm going to have to agree with Hiero_Glyph on this. I'd certainly be impressed if Sega actually did such a thing, and I probably WOULD play for a LITTLE while, but it'd still take something other than missions that involve running around killing shit to get me to KEEP playing, and like I said - PSU simply won't offer that, and I challenge Sega to prove me wrong. If they're going to hold out on me, I'll have to do the same for them. :confused:

Keilyn
Sep 22, 2009, 01:49 PM
It doesn't matter how many updates they add to PSU, it will not change the current form of the game itself in the sense that:

1) You create a character
2) You level character and type
3) You endless hunt items and boards to the end of time.

You have an endless. recurring cycle which plagues this game no matter how many updates come into it....Not to mention the fact so many players play the game only during events.

I'm sorry, but its true..

Those who don't play the game and always post here are effectively admitting that PSU is a boring game and many other games exist out there worth playing since they rather spend most of their time posting here than actually "playing the game."

pinkace
Sep 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oh ye of little faith... So I take it your answer to my hypothetical question is yes?

Tetsaru
Sep 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
Oh ye of little faith... So I take it your answer to my hypothetical question is yes?

For the short term... sure, why not. I'd get my feet wet at least.

For the long term... I'd have to say no, unless I was convinced otherwise. =/

Keilyn
Sep 22, 2009, 02:04 PM
faith?

Why would I need to cast "faith" upon something as ridiculous as an online game when I have a lot more I can be faithful to?

I play PSU because of some people here...my faith and friendship is to them. If these people were to leave together tomorrow, I would also leave with them...simple as that. Its only those people who are keeping me here.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Sep 22, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm just waiting for Blade and Soul to come out. I know it's gonna be next year but until then I'll be playin Dungeon Fighter Online. Until then It'll be the Big Three...which is DFO, Phantasy Star Zero (I just got my DSi), and PSP2...when it comes out...in May or June or "Whenever the hell Sega feels like it".

str898mustang
Sep 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
blah blah blah blah

updates come

some people cheer, some people bitch

update gets boring and back to lvl'n alt/pa level

rinse and repeat

Doesn't matter, I'll be playing to the end.

VariaXVIII
Sep 22, 2009, 05:02 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/JohnHoffman/fail-1.png

Alamar
Sep 22, 2009, 05:07 PM
Vacation,cancel,temp. time off, stepping away for awhile. What ever you want to call it you are NOT playing this game and the company is NOT getting your money. The people who wear suits only care about one thing numbers. How many are playing period. They don't care if you like this pa or hate that one. This run lags me that one sucks.
This is something that plagues Sega, it is their curse so to speak. They make really good games always have. They also made great systems. The Dreamcast was a nice system. Sega always seems to get their but kicked by the other guy. It don't matter what they do. Now at times it is their fault for just plain sucking. As with this game had a great start then people lost interest and moved on, canceled,vacation, etc. etc. They are not keeping a base and with out a foundation it will fall. Premature as it is this will happen. Then what? Another try using the same tactics? Same manner of running the game as before? Stay to the end as some did with PSO or move on it is all up to you. Been to long damage is already done.

Vickie
Sep 22, 2009, 06:49 PM
I hate to say but, I agree, Psu IS Dead.... im still keeping my subscription tho idc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuGs9w-IXk

Freshellent
Sep 22, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'll be on back on PSU for the next event most likely, I enjoy the game far too much to let shit like this get to me. For that matter I plan to be there when the servers do finally shut down, I don't see a reason why not.

If PSU gets a huge upgrade then awesome, if not? Eh, it won't make a differance to me, nothing will ever be like v.1 again. Unless for some reason 5k players appear on our servers to play.

Alamar
Sep 22, 2009, 07:14 PM
honestly, I know its dead everyone does. My sister and I have played with the same 4 people for years. It is still about meeting them every night and talking having fun doing some runs.

pinkace
Sep 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
faith?

Why would I need to cast "faith" upon something as ridiculous as an online game when I have a lot more I can be faithful to?

Good point, well made.

I play PSU because of some people here...my faith and friendship is to them. If these people were to leave together tomorrow, I would also leave with them...simple as that. Its only those people who are keeping me here.

People come and go, has been like that since PSO v1. How long have you been playing? I ask because if it has been a long time, I would be surprised if you play with the same batch of people as when this game started.

Keilyn
Sep 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
People come and go, has been like that since PSO v1.

Same is true for any game.

How long have you been playing?

An irrelevant question.

I ask because if it has been a long time, I would be surprised if you play with the same batch of people as when this game started.

No need to query the obvious.

Neith
Sep 23, 2009, 08:25 AM
Good point, well made.

People come and go, has been like that since PSO v1. How long have you been playing? I ask because if it has been a long time, I would be surprised if you play with the same batch of people as when this game started.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I still play with some people I've played with from the start of the game. Admittedly a lot of my friends have left or taken huge breaks, but there's a couple who are still around.

pinkace
Sep 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Same is true for any game.

An irrelevant question.

No need to query the obvious.

ooohh touchy! it is inpolite to bring a negative attitude from a previous thread to an unrelated thread, my dear ;) I will let you have this moment though...

The group that I started playing the game with on launch day was the same group I played PSO with on Dreamcast. Those guys slowly quit and I played with the IGN guys for a while. Now I am playing with PSOW peoplez... although I rarely see any online anymore. Some of the old IGN come here like Yusaku and Angelusinsomnus. But to be playing with the same group since the begining... that is indeed rare. You are very lucky.

I think that is the biggest threat to PSU; the game is hemorraging subscribers. That and mismanagement.

roardova lengths
Sep 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hey Keilyn, we'll run whenever we see each other, I'm not giving up on the game till I have what I want... Besides, aren't there suppose to be more events coming up?

VariaXVIII
Sep 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
ooohh touchy! it is inpolite to bring a negative attitude from a previous thread to an unrelated thread, my dear ;) I will let you have this moment though...

The group that I started playing the game with on launch day was the same group I played PSO with on Dreamcast. Those guys slowly quit and I played with the IGN guys for a while. Now I am playing with PSOW peoplez... although I rarely see any online anymore. Some of the old IGN come here like Yusaku and Angelusinsomnus. But to be playing with the same group since the begining... that is indeed rare. You are very lucky.

I think that is the biggest threat to PSU; the game is hemorraging subscribers. That and mismanagement.

I don't think it's a negative attitude at all. People have the right to avoid answering questions, y'know.

pinkace
Sep 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
Its all good.

The_Brimada
Sep 23, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm just waiting for Blade and Soul to come out. I know it's gonna be next year but until then I'll be playin Dungeon Fighter Online. Until then It'll be the Big Three...which is DFO, Phantasy Star Zero (I just got my DSi), and PSP2...when it comes out...in May or June or "Whenever the hell Sega feels like it".

Hey, I'm playing DFO too gib IGN. Anyway my sub doesn't run out for quite awhile since I always use the 6 month billing option for the fear of error 65 when I actually do want to renew my account. I doubt I'll quit PSU until the servers go down, but at the same time I won't be playing it much unless there's something actually worth playing.

Keilyn
Sep 24, 2009, 10:53 AM
Doing two replies. One to Roardova and the other to Pinkace

Roardova, next event is on Friday..

I've asked the group for a list of items we are going after...In preparation I've just completed leveling all my attack techs to 50 as Masterforce. That should be able to speed things up as well. The others have also been working hard to prepare their characters as well.

I've also reviewed a lot of the enemy data and the drop chart as well. Also, as usual we aren't playing in Universe 2 frequently out of fear that the rush of returning players will bring about lag issues and other problems. You can join us anytime we have an open slot.

Nice to hear from you again. I still have you on Sort Priority 1.

~Keilyn

Pinkace,

I wasn't trying to be mean to you, just the opposite..

You said that people come and go, which is true....so you would know the odds of playing with the same group of people in the same game since your beginning in the game is rare, then you asked how long had I been playing which doesn't have anything to do with if I still play with the same group of people that I started with...

Whether a game has been alive for three years or three months doesn't change the fact that your first group is your first group. The age of the game is irrelevant.

I've played PSO on Dreamcast and moved on to the other versions of the game. Of course I also play PSU and for a long time I played many other PC games. There is a game in which I've played with the same group of people since its launch in 2005, but only because we have each other on MSN.

pinkace
Sep 24, 2009, 01:45 PM
Doing two replies. One to Roardova and the other to Pinkace

Pinkace,

I wasn't trying to be mean to you, just the opposite..

You said that people come and go, which is true....so you would know the odds of playing with the same group of people in the same game since your beginning in the game is rare, then you asked how long had I been playing which doesn't have anything to do with if I still play with the same group of people that I started with...

Whether a game has been alive for three years or three months doesn't change the fact that your first group is your first group. The age of the game is irrelevant.

I've played PSO on Dreamcast and moved on to the other versions of the game. Of course I also play PSU and for a long time I played many other PC games. There is a game in which I've played with the same group of people since its launch in 2005, but only because we have each other on MSN.

I haven't been as lucky as you. I envy you :(

I asked how long only because the longer you play, the higher the chances of having gone thru a roster or more of friends. I have gone thru three :( You are much further ahead than me; level 50 attack techs? congrats :) I am still working on getting one to 30... :blush: