PDA

View Full Version : Things of PSU [[SPOILERS OF DOOM FOR THE UNINFORMED]]

Cyber Shaman
Oct 4, 2009, 09:46 AM
Homer: Damage report, Mr. Moe.
Moe: Sonar, out. Navigation, out. Radio, out.
Homer: Enough of what's out, what's in?
Moe: Ice-blended mocha drinks and David Schwimmer.
Homer: Yes, he is handsome in an ugly sort of way.

A lot of people hate PSU. I know. From time to time, I'm one of those. But this is not a thread to bash PSU; rather, let's try to look at the things they got right ...

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=856&stc=1&d=1254665159

OK, a pimpin' beast ... that race sorely lacked such a character. The pink trenchcoat reminds me of a guy from Last Blade 2, Hyo Amano. Hints of shady dealings and criminal background make me hopeful for an interesting character.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Being able to purchase, store and change your outfit from time to time without spending 10,000 meseta is nice. I just wished they had kept the idea of PSO that when you take on missions you have to be on uniform instead of "casual" as a de facto rule rather than an unspoken one. (I've seen Human and Beast males running around in Line Shielded-underwear ... fortune favors the bold, I guess ^^; )

Photon Arts. Yes, I think it's nice to level them up through use instead of [SPOILER]finding higher level Art disks in dungeons. The variety is nice and the way they are implemented seems right to me.

Weapon System and Palette. Aside from the non-instantaneous loading times when switching weapons (at least, it happens to me), I have little to complain about this one. Bigger selection, intuitive, quick and simple.

Well, how about you guys? What do you think the PSU games "got right"? (Try to make the effort of finding something you like in the games ... it's an interesting exercise in perspective!)

Tetsaru
Oct 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
What I loved most about PSU was the battle system. You just don't see many other online RPGs with real-time collision-detection combat a la Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc., and PSU really made that unique. Also, I loved how you could use certain gun weapons like rifles in FPV to provide more of a shooter-type sense aspect to the game's combat. If they could've implemented that with ALL weapons, and given you the ability to move around WHILE in FPV, I think that would've really enhanced the gameplay.

Second, I loved the amount of character customization. Granted, it could be improved in many ways that other games like Soul Calibur 4, Saints Row 2, and many other games could do, but being able to run around in combat in whatever clothes you wanted rather than a full suit of armor seemed very unique and appealing to me.

Sadly, that's about all I can give PSU credit for nowadays. If it would just follow some of the same trends that other popular MMORPG's are implementing, as well as provide more unique, innovative, and most importantly, FUN AND ENTERTAINING gameplay, I think it would've been much more successful... but you guys already know my opinions on that.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Oct 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yea after returning to my roots that is PSO I missed the full customization and battle engine that PSU has. I do admit that what PSU lacked was unique looking weapons (ie non-photon weapons) and more pants for women.

Vickie
Oct 4, 2009, 04:41 PM
I like PSU because of the Cast Race, but thats for Phantasy star in general i guess, in psu i would have to say the thing that made me play this game, was creating a small female character using Big Ass Weapons, and it was a break from playing Those Rpg's that are, i dunno how to phrase this but, "medieval times?" you know old swords and bows and magic and shit....

btw here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okVmHakdr7g

Delete
Oct 4, 2009, 08:58 PM
One of the main things I like is the whole shop thing. Being able to have your stuff sell while your sleeping or at work is awesome.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Oct 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
PSU is still one of my favorite games, but I can't really seem to get back into it. ;x
Things that I REALLY enjoyed playing it was..

The Combat. It's just addicting. And it's damn fun. I loved the melee PA's and I love playing a gunner. The button masher in me does at least. I love sending enemies flying with my flashy moves. I love how bullets have status effects (Not only can I fight using elemental advantages, but with status effects as well. Y'know. Using earth to silence Gaozoran, instead of just using light.)

Then there's the character creation. I loved the fact that not only can you make any race use any class, but you can also change it up whenever you want. On top of that you can change your look with lot's of clothes, for fleshies and casts. Lot's of combination's and I don't think I've ever been friends with anyone who kept the same look for a long time. (Except Tetsauce. Maybe.)

Also, weapon selection. There's a lot. (27, I think) Lot's of stuff to choose from with each type too.

I like the lobby idea. It didn't work well with a lot of people, but exploring different lobbies was fun to me.

Synthing. Even though it was a huge gripe with A LOT of other people. But I love gathering materials to make weapons. (It was sort of the same with Monster Hunter) And I really like how you could make the weapon whatever attribute you wanted it to be.

I could go on and on. But I'm tired as hell, so I'll stop here. All I gotta say is PSU was a hell of a lot of fun when I played it for those 2+ years. And it has the potential to be even better.

DuRaL
Oct 5, 2009, 07:09 AM
wow, did i miss anything, or hasn't the manga-style Chat system been mentioned yet!?
in my opinion it's one of the best features of both, PSO and PSU, and i really don't know why other MMORPG-developers like Square Enix haven't copied it yet..

who wants to have a ICQ-chat-log in an online RPG? hell, no! i love my manga-text-bubbles and cut-in-chat! <3

if only PSU had a word-select like PSO did, it'd be even better..

I like PSU because of the Cast Race, but thats for Phantasy star in general i guess, in psu i would have to say the thing that made me play this game, was creating a small female character using Big Ass Weapons, and it was a break from playing Those Rpg's that are, i dunno how to phrase this but, "medieval times?" you know old swords and bows and magic and shit....
and this!
i also love how humanish Cast can look in this game =)
there should be a lot more human clothes for Cast imo ^^

stukasa
Oct 5, 2009, 10:31 AM
- The character models look great and there's a lot of customization. Later, if you decide you want to change your looks you can do it (except for a couple things like height and proportions).
- The fact that clothes aren't tied to armor/line shields. I love being able to wear what looks good, not what has the best stats.
- The chat system and poses. Always a fun way to pass the time between runs!
- The shop system. It was really improved in AoI with the ability to sort and find just what you're looking for.
- The combat is really fun for an online game. I don't have much experience with other games but from what I heard most of them involve using your mouse a lot. PSO and PSU were designed as console games so there's no point-and-clicking involved.
- Good variety of weapon types. Whether you want to be a fighter, a gunner, or a techer, there are many choices available to you so you can play the class how you want.
- The difficulty level. I like the fact that this game is more casual than most online games and you don't have to be a hardcore player to make progress.
- Ability to take screenshots (on PC version) by hitting Print Screen.

GeekRuler
Oct 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
Whenever I tell someone that doesn't play PSU that each character can have their own shop, they seem to stop and think why they can't have that in more games.
The battle system is one of my favorites, small amounts of micromanagement are rewarded, and the camera is responsive and not the obstacle it was in some of Sonic Team's other games.
The Photon Arts system added longevity and gave players something to do if they already had the weapons and armor they wanted.
The clothes and room decorations really helped make your character unique, and your store just a little bit more than just a place to put chairs and tables.
The story all in all isn't a bad one, its just the execution of the story in the first two episodes made many people shy away from completing it, but they seemed to figure out a formula for story missions as soon as episode 3 was released; text-based plot and getting to missions, mission, more text before a boss-like enemy shows up, boss fight, followed by wrapping up the story that should of come across in the mission.
All-in-all I still love this game and will run with it until we are grounded, but I look forward to the days when people will come back.

Frosty7645
Oct 5, 2009, 04:55 PM
things in psu i like are the...battle system the shop*but i buy way to much stuff*
clothes were a great touch weapons coulda been made better or more creatively
an pvp woulda been good but psu isnt that bad of a game just alittle unfinshed

pinkace
Oct 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
I loved how you could use certain gun weapons like rifles in FPV to provide more of a shooter-type sense aspect to the game's combat. If they could've implemented that with ALL weapons, and given you the ability to move around WHILE in FPV, I think that would've really enhanced the gameplay.

Long ago I had a vision, a dream; in Metroid Prime, the switch between morph ball view (third person) and first person view is so seamless, you never lose focus of what you are looking at or where you were going. If PSU could implement a camera like that when you switch from gun-type weapons (First Person) to striking weapons (third person)... wouldn't that be outright godly?

One game that sort of did that was Sudeki for Xbox. You did not switch cameras but instead characters, you had at least one character in the party that fired a gun-type weapon and at least one character that fought using a sword or claws or spears... great game.

If Sega could add that to the sequel, I'd be in freakin heaven for the next 4 years.

But, I honestly have no opinion on the story character and NPC development, as I never play the offline/story mode.