PDA

View Full Version : Spam Nitro's Demo Downloads (Xblox360)

Nitro Vordex
Oct 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
I was really bored last night and downloaded a bunch of demos. Unfortunately, like a jackass, I told MS my real age, so I have to wait a month until my birthday comes around. Meanwhile, I'll be downloading and playing the demos that you've already played, or will never touch. These are only short reviews of the demos and what I think about them. Don't bitch and moan, don't say old demo is old, this is just pure boredom. I am aware these are demos and not full products, so don't go saying anything like that.

Also, if you've got any demos for me to play(or rage at), list 'em and I'll give 'em a shot. Sorry about the age limit thing, totally not my fault. T and lower are all the games I can play. (Which is most of 'em. ._.)

If you know any way to change it so that I can in fact play M rated games on an under 18 account let me know.[/spoiler-box]

Alright, here we go. This will be a numbering system, nor a rank system. It's a straight up evaluation to let you think for yourself. Also, expect me to DL these at night, as that's when I'm usually [s]bored available to do it.

Need for Speed Shift Demo
[spoiler-box]
This is a pretty neat demo, until you realize that the physics are "lolreallife". Personally, I don't like these kinds of physics, because I admittedly suck at them...to start with. I played in the cockpit view for a while, which was amazing. Listening to the engine rev, looking at the instruments on the panel of the car, even watching your guy switch gears in Manual, it was great. Crashes were very awesome, though admittedly I actually got confused for a second myself in one of the crashes. You can even hear the driver's heartbeat in his head after a particularly bad one. The environments were excellent, and the way that the inside of the car blurred while the road ahead of you focused from that rush was one of the best experiences ever.

Now we get to game play. Bleh. Now, I like a little bit of realism, but you go spinning out of control because you decided you wanted to take a turn a little too fast just kinda makes me go, "If I wanted to do that, I'd actually go drive." When you have all of the "safety" features on (traction control, speed control, stability control, etc. though I have to admit that was unexpected to find in the menu.) Everything feels stiff and kinda lol easy mode. The Dodge Viper SRT10 was kinda touchy, but still my car of choice. At some point, I hit one of the plastic barrier things, and it got stuck. I couldn't go forward or back, EVEN THOUGH THE WHEELS WITH POWER SUPPLIED TO THEM WERE TOUCHING THE GROUND.

Game was indeed good fun, though those turns liked to screw me up. @o@[/spoiler-box]

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo
[spoiler-box]
This is a really bad thing to say, but this game feels like a casual Need for Speed Shift demo. That is, until you get to the sports/performance cars. Inside the car view is a pretty interesting experience, especially when one round I actually drove the Mini-Cooper. Actually, why the hell is there a Mini-Cooper in a racing game? (I blame Drift City.) The environments were absolutely STUNNING, it felt like I was going for a drive through the mountains with a few buddies...at 170 MPH.

Gameplay. Hm. Again, Need for Speed Shift-esque physics, using the E-brake takes a bit of practice, and a whole lot of fixing if you don't get the hang of it quickly. It's similar in car options as in NFS:S, but it actually uses difficulty settings linked to the car options, where Easy is everything turned on, CPU difficulty is Easy, and shifting is Automatic, and Extreme is everything off(which is VERY awkward) and shifting on Manual w/clutch. Yes, they included a button for clutch, which made me happy; until I realized there's an option for car destruction. Basically, you do something to the car, it can affect the car as it would "IRL", such as shifting without using the clutch. I'm pretty sure you can imagine that on your own. Another interesting feature was the "Rewind" button, which was back on the 360 controller. It does exactly what it sounds like. You screw up, you can rewind the race to a predetermined point by the game, and start from there to fix your mistake. I think it stopped at about 5 rewinds, or a certain time. I'm not entirely sure of the limit.

For some odd reason, I kept turning this demo on, I don't know why. It's not really fun, more than it is something to do if you don't feel very hardcore. It's only got the one level for racing through the mountains, which, again, was amazing eye candy. Choosing a certain car gave you car tiers for opponents, and that was about it. I'd say DL if you're bored sometime.[/spoiler-box]

Burnout Revenge Demo
[spoiler-box]
Oh. My. God. If you like trashing anything on wheels(or even not on wheels!) you get this game. I personally will try to get this game when I have spare money.

Alright. The game's aesthetics were definitely something, as is usual Xbox graphics. But what really got me, was the CRASHING. OH MY GOD, THE CRASHING-
*ahem*
As most people know(or at least the ones who have played previous Burnout games) this game is all about ruining someone or something's shit in a really fast car. This game is no exception. Within 5 seconds of starting your race, you could destroy a car. The zoom-in with the car when the destruction was complete is just amazing. After you destroy a car, your boost meter goes up, or for the first car you destroy, appears. Every time you destroy a car, your boost meter rises. Using this boost is critical, as it gives you that extra speed you need to knock the block off of a car next to you. Controlling the car during the boost isn't too bad, though hitting ANYTHING close to head on will result in a really bad but kickass crash. When you do crash(I use when, because you will crash at some point), you get a camera view, and if you press and hold A, you get "Aftertouch". This gives you limited control over your wreck of a car, and you get bonuses for taking out opposing cars in this mode.

Driving the car itself isn't too bad, though destroying the "dummy" cars can get irritating, since you're going about 50-70MPH faster than them. At regular speed without boost, you're (supposedly) going about 150-170. With boost you easily break 200+. Though, what kind of confused me, was when a car hit me or when I hit a car. That sentence is exactly what I mean. I think, for the most part, it's who's going faster and/or how they make contact. Also, it's possible to hit traffic cars and have them go flying into your opponents, which also gives you a bonus.

This whole demo is completely worth it, I'd say DL the demo, or even buy the game if you want to destroy some shit.[/spoiler-box]

TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-shelled.
[spoiler-box]
Don't. It's not worth it. The game seems like a really barebones generic brawler, and doesn't have any of the feel of TMNT. The planes were turned into 3D, so instead of just an X axis to attack on, you have X,Y, and Z. The Big Apple boss was annoying as shit, as I could hardly hit him without him shooting my brains out. Game sucks, don't do it.

Poor Donny. ;-;[/spoiler-box]

Taking a break for a bit, will post another in a while. Comments, questions, anything, ask 'em here.
Coming up next:

Triggerheart Exelica
Eternal Sonata
Tales of Vesperia

Outrider
Oct 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
I think it's interesting that you see Forza as being similar to NSF:S, when Shift is actually doing its darnedest to emulate Forza.

As for demos:

Can't vouch for the game itself, but the Sonic Unleashed demo is fun to play through every once in a while.

I'd also suggest giving the Mirror's Edge demo a run-through, if only to try something different.

Some of my favorite Arcade demos include Geometry Wars 2, Castle Crashers, Galaga Legions (for some reason - I didn't even end up buying it, but I enjoyed the demo), and Braid. Oh God Braid.

Definitely give I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 a try. It's great.

As for your planned downloads - even though Eternal Sonata might seem super generic and lol-JRPG, the demo is very charming and actually a lot of fun in that "slightly-experimental trojan horse for a genre on a new console" kind of way. I'm still not sure if I should pick it up one of these days or not, but I'd say you should give the demo a shot.

But a lot of my preferred Xbox games are Mature. Sorry.

SStrikerR
Oct 14, 2009, 06:15 PM
Nitro, there is a way to fix your xbox so you don't have to deal with being under 18 (I made that mistake as well, fuck you MS >_>)
My friend fixed it for me so I'll ask him how he did it and let you know.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 14, 2009, 07:38 PM
I think it's interesting that you see Forza as being similar to NSF:S, when Shift is actually doing its darnedest to emulate Forza.
I knew something was going on.

Can't vouch for the game itself, but the Sonic Unleashed demo is fun to play through every once in a while.
I actually played the hell out of that...I might DL that and write another one.

I'd also suggest giving the Mirror's Edge demo a run-through, if only to try something different.I'll do that one too.

Some of my favorite Arcade demos include Geometry Wars 2, Castle Crashers, Galaga Legions (for some reason - I didn't even end up buying it, but I enjoyed the demo)*writes down*

and Braid. Oh God Braid. Hmm, I'll do that too.

Definitely give I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 a try. It's great.Keeeep searchin'...

As for your planned downloads - even though Eternal Sonata might seem super generic and lol-JRPG, the demo is very charming and actually a lot of fun in that "slightly-experimental trojan horse for a genre on a new console" kind of way. I'm still not sure if I should pick it up one of these days or not, but I'd say you should give the demo a shot.Actually, the ones I listed I've played already, I just needed to break from the typing. Got a couple others coming in the works too.

Nitro, there is a way to fix your xbox so you don't have to deal with being under 18 (I made that mistake as well, fuck you MS >_>)
My friend fixed it for me so I'll ask him how he did it and let you know.
Please do, that'd be amazing.

Delete
Oct 14, 2009, 07:55 PM
Copy and Pasted from another person who had the problem:

"There is a way to change your age though, use ur computer and sign into ur windows live messager, from there go to perfrences or settings i think.....from there just change the year that you were born....i did this for my bro, it worked, u wont have a problem downloading stuff then, gd luck"

Not sure if it will work, but some others were saying it did so who knows.

Also, I wish I could mail you my OXM demos. They have like 6 or 7 on each one and I have every single issue besides the first 3. That would definitely give you some variety lol.

SStrikerR
Oct 14, 2009, 08:21 PM
Well I haven't gotten a chance to ask him yet, but I know that he had to go into the initial setup and changing something there.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
Well, I might be screwed until my birthday(which is in a month anyway). I used a Yahoo account for the "parent", and it won't let me sign in because it's not a Windows Live account, even though they let me associate a yahoo account with it.

/gg MS.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 14, 2009, 09:05 PM
When I was really bored I went into that XNA, homebrew game dev. demos.

Text robot jail adventure thing was better on paper than in practice.
Plus a 10 min time limit before auto-reset.

Lot of uh, animal suited people games, I'm not saying the word.
Anime Mahjongg

I don't know why I remember the unworthy ones more than ones that were playable.
-
Burnout is a pretty fun and heralded series.
Forza: The downshift/upshift wrong = engine explodes? Co-worker did that on the freeway w/ a new Honda something, same guy was working to be a auto tech.
-
My Xblox is Xbrixed.
After 3/4 Red Ring service, now freezes up, especially on anything new, also bad during any SFIV online play, looks like "ragequit" - then I hard reset and the last guy I played isn't on my recent gamer list and I can't mail him to say what happened.

I can still play my lil bro in SF3 though and record matches. Surprisingly playable on the Xbox pad though, brother even manages some of his fave player RX Urien charge partition Expert mode stuff, that I've never even tried to do.

So I would continue to support Nitro's game thoughts. & one day we'll all work w/ Outrider on that FKL centralized game thread, or hub to other game threads due to space constraints & easier discussion.

Delete
Oct 14, 2009, 10:27 PM
Well, I might be screwed until my birthday(which is in a month anyway). I used a Yahoo account for the "parent", and it won't let me sign in because it's not a Windows Live account, even though they let me associate a yahoo account with it.

/gg MS.

Ya know, I happen to have an extra halo 3 boosting account that ends on the 26th(gold membership), I wouldn't mind lending it to ya so you could download those demos and play em. Hell, I was gonna give it away anyway. PM me back if you want it ^^

Nitro Vordex
Oct 14, 2009, 11:21 PM
Cool offer, but I'm good. Feel free to give it to someone who needs it. :)

Delete
Oct 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
^ KK. Probably not gonna be on it ever again though so if you change your mind, lemme know.

Ketchup345
Oct 15, 2009, 03:41 AM
Forza Motorsport 3 Demo
Actually, why the hell is there a Mini-Cooper in a racing game? (I blame Drift City.)I assume the Mini Cooper (and other small cheaper cars) are included for 2 major reasons: people can actually afford them and people do race small cheap cars (look at the competitors in that class- MazdaSpeed, VW GTI, Civic SI/Type R, etc. I am guessing the Mini is a Mini Cooper S, which should be pretty good on power-to-weight and the low weight means good handling). What I don't get is the full game includes even lesser cars (Chevy Aveo hatch from memory).

Now from experience two of my friends have had, Forza 3 is unrealistic in that I managed first in the demo in the Mitsubishi EVO, when in reality the transmission would have died in the middle of the race (granted, theirs were older Galants though).

Kent
Oct 15, 2009, 04:52 AM
Eternal Sonata's demo is harder than the full game. True story.

The battle system is fun and very pretty, and brings in some tactical thinking with the light and dark parts of the battlefield... But there's literally no challenge. My cat could beat this game if her attention span was long enough. Actually, she'd probably just have to lay on the controller for long enough. Any sort of tactical thinking brought about by the mechanics of the battle system is ultimately subverted by the fact that it's never actually necessary to try and exploit it during the game.

Easy RPGs make me sad.

Randomness
Oct 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
Easy RPGs make me sad.

*resists urge to try 200-man melee in Vesperia on Unknown difficulty*

Weeaboolits
Oct 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
You should try Madou Monogatari then, you could have some diabetes to go with your depression.

pikachief
Oct 18, 2009, 09:33 PM
My account is linked to my Dad's E-mail so i have no problem with age, but would it work if u just made a new account with all fake info? It should give you gold for 1 month. I think you can use that to download M rated demos, then go back on your normal account and play them :)

At least thats what I do with Japanese demos all the time :P (made at least 10 of them now lol, month of gold free every time for me XD )

Zimbabwe
Oct 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
Best demo's I've played on Xbox 360
Mirror's Edge
I thought that was an incredible demo for some reason because the first mission felt fun and exciting everytime you played it through. Also if you pre ordered the game you got to access the Time Trial section of the Demo so I thought that was cool.

Left 4 Dead
Even though the demo was a fraction of a game that wasn't too big on content to begin with, I thought the demo was fun and because L4D has such high replay value, my friends and I played Chapters 1 and 2 of No Mercy for hours.
Kind of a bummer you can't get the demo anymore (I found this out after I deleted it)
I guess all good things must come to an end.

Resident Evil 5
This demo was amazing. I got the Japanese demo when it came out months before it came out in America because I was that excited about RE5.
Even though the full game ended up being a disappointment to everyone, the demo did an incredible job at showing one of the high points of the game and only increased my excitement for the full game's release. Capcom did the same thing with the RE5 trailers as well. They all showed us tid bits of cinematics that were well done making the game look very good and on par with a Hollywood action movie. Of course, the cinematics in the full game were plagued with horrible dialogue and writing and didn't look or sound nearly as awesome as the trailers made them look. But because Capcom did so well with the trailers and demo before release they still ended up getting my $60 on day one. :/

Phantasy Star Universe
I know everyone here is gonna hate me for saying the PSU demo is one of the best demo's I've ever played. But it's true. Now I'm not talking about the community, but for a free demo to an MMO on Xbox Live, PSU is very good. Sega was actually smart to maintain the demo after the release of PSU. And whether you guys like the demo or not, you have to give it props because we all know a majority of Xbox PSU's population started with the demo and if it weren't for that, those people would have probably never heard of PSU.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
Ah, sorry about not posting in here. I'll post another review with the mentioned games tomorrow, I've been kinda busy.

pikachief
Oct 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
Best demo's I've played on Xbox 360

Left 4 Dead
Even though the demo was a fraction of a game that wasn't too big on content to begin with, I thought the demo was fun and because L4D has such high replay value, my friends and I played Chapters 1 and 2 of No Mercy for hours.
Kind of a bummer you can't get the demo anymore (I found this out after I deleted it)
I guess all good things must come to an end.

Yes! That is why I can't wait for the L4D2 demo! I have played No Mercy on Left 4 Dead SO MANY TIMES lol

L4D2 demo has a full campaign! I can probably play it like 100 times before the real game lol! I see it as Valve's way of saying sorry we had to pay 7$ for a campaign, so here's one 2-3x the size of that one 2-3 weeks early! :D