PDA

View Full Version : EA sports/Madden

washuguy
Oct 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
I've had it... Year after year i waste $60.00 on this game thats an unfinished prouct. And i'm not mad at them, cause i spent the money for it. I'm mad at the fact that they called it a football simulation. If you see it on sunday you'll see it in the game. BULL S**T... Speed bursts, poor tackling, terrible rating system,cheating computer, poor physics all around, then you sell it to us and call it football. Its not fair... They took advantage of the love people had for football, and did a half ass job. Its the only PRO football franchise available to play!!!!! Everyone i know that stops playing this game gets that "itch" to play some football... What do they do? 2k sports can't have a football franchise, Why? cause EA bought the license so there can be no competition considering 2K had the better football game. Capitalism has been abused here, the people are being cheated and lied to and something needs to be done. EA shouldn't be worried about competition, WHY? They had a 20 YEAR HEADSTART... They shouldnt've had to be worried about 2k competing with them... Oh, i know they had better physics. they respect the physics of the real world, of FOOTBALL so they had to buy the license so they wouldn't lose money. again, they shouldn't be worried, they've been give a bunch of money and creative freedom, make a real football game and stop Bull S**TING the people that love the sport... anyone feel me out there?

KodiaX987
Oct 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
You bought it. If you don't like it, stop buying it.

Can it be any simpler?

Chuck_Norris
Oct 17, 2009, 09:44 PM
You bought it. If you don't like it, stop buying it.

Can it be any simpler?

And he should go play what instead, exactly? Maybe someone wants to play a good football game, without needing to organize two teams, make sure the weather condition is good, and find people to referee. It is bullshit, Washu. I feel your pain, and I don't even like football. It's just like how Lady Kuja took over Catilium prices on PSU. :disapprove:

Kent
Oct 18, 2009, 12:10 AM
Generally-speaking, it's a pretty good idea to just not buy games with the Activision or EA logo on them, with very few exceptions (specifically, Rock Band).

Powder Keg
Oct 18, 2009, 09:14 AM
It's just like how Lady Kuja took over Catilium prices on PSU. :disapprove:

lol, people are still bitching about this?

pinkace
Oct 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Don't worry, NFL 2k will be back soon.

in the meantime, you could buy NFL 2k5, create all the new players in the last 4 years based on stats available online, and update the team rosters, and enjoy a real football game... wouldn't take you as long as you think. I know people who did it for 2k6 and 2k7 seasons.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 18, 2009, 12:38 PM
This is the only sports game you need:

http://derrikdickey.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/fotonbajam.jpg

Weeaboolits
Oct 18, 2009, 01:19 PM
Although I rather dislike football, and sports games in general, I can see where you're coming from, since they literally can't have any competition, save college football games, if you wanna consider them, there's no motivation for them to improve their game, as it's the only option. The market thrives on competition.

I suppose you could give those college ones a whirl until the contract expires or something.

SStrikerR
Oct 18, 2009, 01:51 PM

in the meantime, you could buy NFL 2k5, create all the new players in the last 4 years based on stats available online, and update the team rosters, and enjoy a real football game... wouldn't take you as long as you think. I know people who did it for 2k6 and 2k7 seasons.This is what I do. Beats madden by a long shot.

washuguy
Oct 18, 2009, 03:02 PM

in the meantime, you could buy NFL 2k5, create all the new players in the last 4 years based on stats available online, and update the team rosters, and enjoy a real football game... wouldn't take you as long as you think. I know people who did it for 2k6 and 2k7 seasons.I've heard about alot of people doing that.... I'm that desperate., seriously... I hope this contract or license runs out soon so 2K sports has free reign to make NFL games again

Volcompat321
Oct 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
Generally-speaking, it's a pretty good idea to just not buy games with the Activision or EA logo on them, with very few exceptions (specifically, Rock Band).

That's a bad generalization on games. You...game-racist..?
I happen to take an interest in the earlier Tony Hawk Pro Skater games (I lost track after "THUG2".
The games aren't horrible, and obviously people enjoy them, so you shouldn't bash them because you don't like em.
Now, I'm not gonna go out of my way and get Activision games, but I do enjoy most of the earlier ones.

Yes, always, and forever.

KodiaX987
Oct 18, 2009, 05:44 PM
And he should go play what instead, exactly? Maybe someone wants to play a good football game, without needing to organize two teams, make sure the weather condition is good, and find people to referee. It is bullshit, Washu. I feel your pain, and I don't even like football. It's just like how Lady Kuja took over Catilium prices on PSU. :disapprove:

No one has any obligation to buy any game. If you do not find anything you deem satisfactory, then do not buy anything. And if you do anyway, I see little point in calling bullshit when it has been there all along and you went in fully knowing you were buying shit. If your situation is so desperate that you are willing to settle for shit just to play a game in a genre you like, then the problem is more deeply rooted and trust me, it is not on the developer's side.

washuguy
Oct 18, 2009, 07:10 PM
No one has any obligation to buy any game. If you do not find anything you deem satisfactory, then do not buy anything. And if you do anyway, I see little point in calling bullshit when it has been there all along and you went in fully knowing you were buying shit. If your situation is so desperate that you are willing to settle for shit just to play a game in a genre you like, then the problem is more deeply rooted and trust me, it is not on the developer's side.

So what you're saying is... It's right to CLAIM SOMETHING AS TRUE AND MARKET SOMETHING ELSE... A LIE? Ok what if everything in the world was made this way kodia? think about it, its more important than just some game that I bought, its about integrity my man. I bought this game because I love football, its the only one available as far as NFL goes. They said "If you see it on sunday you'll see it in the game." THATS WHAT THEY PROMISED not just me, millions of folks THATS WHAT THEY MARKETED. Thats what me, the consumer was looking to buy, the NFL SIMULATION they PROMISED THEY WOULD MAKE. Example... We buy soap to wash ourselves right? What if the people thayt made soap said "This will get you clean and make you smell good" you buy it cause thats what they're marketing, thats what saop is made to do, get you clean and make you smell good. You didn't tell them to make that claim... thats what they marketed to you. And you buy it, only to find out it makes you smell like ass and is a horrible product. you'll be upset, cause you love to be clean, but the people that markwted it to you abused capatalism and marketed a prodect on false claims.... WRONG WRONG WRONG... And again, i'm not mad for spending the money, i'm mad that millions have been taken under the spell of false claims and been given an unfinished product. I don't know about everyone else, but i like what is fair,and what is right and what these people did is wrong. A 3 year old can tell you this (And in no way does this post have any animosity toward those on pso-world, i'm just very passionate about football and get carried away sometimes, forgive me if i offend in anyway).

Randomness
Oct 18, 2009, 07:34 PM

Wait, did someone actually buyout the market or something? When did that happen? (Hasn't played in a couple months)

Kent
Oct 18, 2009, 08:07 PM
That's a bad generalization on games. You...game-racist..?

I happen to take an interest in the earlier Tony Hawk Pro Skater games (I lost track after "THUG2".
The games aren't horrible, and obviously people enjoy them, so you shouldn't bash them because you don't like em.
Now, I'm not gonna go out of my way and get Activision games, but I do enjoy most of the earlier ones.
Don't be silly.

Both of those publishers are pretty well-known for putting out large amounts of shovelware that's generally lacking in quality to some degree, simply for the sake of mass appeal. That and getting a new big-name title out every year... Or more than one per year.

The Tony Hawk series used to be good. In my opinion, the series sharply started going downhill (no pun intended (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Downhill_Jam)) starting with Underground 2. Of course, the series' former developers have moved on to shoveling a new Guitar Hero game out the door every few months. There have been like 15 Guitar Hero releases since Activision bought the license to the series in 2007, and that's not including multi-platform releases of the same game.

It's something that really marginalizes the notions of creativity and innovation, when companies will just continue to shove the same thing out the door, just slightly prettied-up or with slightly-varying amounts of content, yet not really pushing anything forward. I realize it's a business and that selling product is important, but that doesn't mean that the product isn't art. A good comparison would be to look at the music industry and all of the "pop sensation" crap that festers up from the nethers of the industry simply because it appeals to every screaming 13-year old girl in the country.

Now granted, I'm not saying all games are bad when they're part of a long-running series, nor am I saying that all games with the EA or Activision logo stamped on them are inherently bad - I'm saying that these two particular companies are the biggest culprits of producing shovelware for the sake of having the widest effort-to-profit ratio, and thusly, are the largest risk when it comes to buying a game and hoping for quality. It's far more important to look at the developer, than it is to look at the publisher.

KodiaX987
Oct 18, 2009, 09:37 PM
So what you're saying is... It's right to CLAIM SOMETHING AS TRUE AND MARKET SOMETHING ELSE... A LIE? Ok what if everything in the world was made this way kodia? think about it, its more important than just some game that I bought, its about integrity my man.

Well then, looks like a lesson on gaming design and marketing is in order.

First of all, most games, despite their claims, are not 100% honest to goodness simulations. The game does not behave in a simulated manner. It behaves in a predictable manner.

Pick up a shotgun in Rainbow Six and you'll expect to blow people's head off at near-melee range. That's what you think it can do. The reality is otherwise. But the devs made the shotgun in the game more powerful because people expect it to be more powerful. That goes for a shit ton of games.

Pick up any car in Need For Speed and you'll notice it has amazing grip. Try those moves in real life and you'll break your neck. But have you also noticed? There's an intuitive notion in the NFS games. You can choose a car, and by the time you've done a lap with it, you've got a feel of your ride. A person can't hope to reproduce the complete experience in front of a screen with a controller. In fact, if you go full-on simulation with a PC game, even a stock car will be a pain in the ass to handle. You lack the feel, the touch, the acceleration, all those things that help you figure out what your car is doing. On a screen, all you get is a pretty picture and sounds coming out of your speakers. By the time you realize you are spinning out, it's already too late.

I bought this game because I love football, its the only one available as far as NFL goes.

Yep. You bought it. You love football so much that you bought the game. You didn't rent it, you bought it. You made a leap of faith and forked over 60$ for a game from which the most you saw were videos, screenshots and reviews. I can (safely) assume you are more pissed about putting blind trust in a game only to find you you didn't like it as much as you hoped.

They said "If you see it on sunday you'll see it in the game." THATS WHAT THEY PROMISED not just me, millions of folks THATS WHAT THEY MARKETED. Thats what me, the consumer was looking to buy, the NFL SIMULATION they PROMISED THEY WOULD MAKE.

What does a person see on a Sunday?

Football?

OK, sure. A person watches football on TV. And sure enough, you saw football on Sunday and you see football in the game. Promise fulfilled.

Example... We buy soap to wash ourselves right? What if the people thayt made soap said "This will get you clean and make you smell good" you buy it cause thats what they're marketing, thats what saop is made to do, get you clean and make you smell good. You didn't tell them to make that claim... thats what they marketed to you. And you buy it, only to find out it makes you smell like ass and is a horrible product. you'll be upset, cause you love to be clean, but the people that markwted it to you abused capatalism and marketed a prodect on false claims.... WRONG WRONG WRONG... And again, i'm not mad for spending the money, i'm mad that millions have been taken under the spell of false claims and been given an unfinished product. I don't know about everyone else, but i like what is fair,and what is right and what these people did is wrong. A 3 year old can tell you this (And in no way does this post have any animosity toward those on pso-world, i'm just very passionate about football and get carried away sometimes, forgive me if i offend in anyway).

Stow it. You are pissed at spending the cash. Every fucking year. You confuse between your own fuck-up and some holy crusade in your imagination. If I had a nickel everytime I heard someone attempt a call to arms against a corporation for selling him a product he wasn't satisfied with, I'd be swimming in my private vault at the moment instead of posting here. You confuse between personal opinion and technical achievement. A game will guarantee what's on the box, that's it and that's all. The all-new animation technology is indeed all new. It may not be improved, it might even suck compared to its previous iteration, but it doesn't stop it from being all new. Referees peeling players off a fumble pile, the chain gang rushing in to measure for a key first down, yeah, I can safely assume they put that in. Have you noticed the game info page screams "new" everywhere? Well, one can't renew football every year, right? So what's really new? New graphics. New roster. New animations. New game modes. New features here and there. Nothing new about the game itself, the only new stuff being in the interface and in which buttons you click.

If you don't like the game, trade it away, give it away, sell it, auction it, do whatever you want to get rid of it, and next time around, do your research and rent the fucking game before you try to start a fruitless revolution that'll only go as far as your basement.

You don't take down a system by rebelling against it. You take it down by inventing a better system to which people will naturally flock.

Squirrel3D
Oct 19, 2009, 01:26 AM
You don't take down a system by rebelling against it. You take it down by inventing a better system to which people will naturally flock.

There is one problem in your aurgement. You forgot the all important part about EA having the exclusive NFL rights until the year 2010. I shall site something from the somewhat reliable Wikipedia about this issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL#Exclusivity

So um, how will one invent a better system if that system is locked up someplace else? In this case, where will washuguy or myself or anyone else go for a NFL football videogame with a 2010 roster? Yeah....exactly....

I never owned a Madden game but I have played plenty of them now and I still don't know why they haven't tooken alot of things from the NFL2k series. Their play-by-play guys in the game is the worst I've ever experienced in a football videogame.

Look unless EA extends the contract again before 2012 arrives, this is what we have to deal with right now. And I believe that NFL2K will be back.

(wait, didn't I say I wasn't gonna post in this section of the forums anymore??)

Powder Keg
Oct 19, 2009, 02:44 AM
Wait, did someone actually buyout the market or something? When did that happen? (Hasn't played in a couple months)

It happened a while ago, bought all of the Catilium and kept it for him/herself. Completely within the game's boundaries so I never saw what the big issue was. Their shop was apparently hacked, kinda had it coming for pissing off a lot of people, but as soon as Bladed Legacy came around this meant absolutely nothing, and all of the time and meseta spent buying it all was wasted anyway.

washuguy
Oct 19, 2009, 07:18 AM
Watch the first 40 second s of this video... Tell me where in the law of physics this happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFj9loBVW2M

washuguy
Oct 19, 2009, 07:29 AM
All i'm saying is the technology to make a phenominal game was available almost 5 years ago, so this is inexcusable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nvz7AKTdbA

Cracka_J
Oct 19, 2009, 08:24 AM

in the meantime, you could buy NFL 2k5, create all the new players in the last 4 years based on stats available online, and update the team rosters, and enjoy a real football game... wouldn't take you as long as you think. I know people who did it for 2k6 and 2k7 seasons.

Oh dear god I agree with pinkace on something. Worlds must be exploding somewhere...

But yeah 2K games has and always will make superior football games. When the NFL license is up for bids again, you can bet 2K will go nearly bankrupt to attempt to buy out the license. Notice how EA doesn't make anymore baseball games? 2K snagged up MLB license after the EA football fiasco and allowed everyone but EA to continue to make baseball games.

There's gonna be some MAJOR drama when that NFL license goes back on the open market, and I hope to god 2K can somehow make another NFL game. Like pinkace said, play 2k5 if you want a real football game and hopefully that'll suffice until the next licensed 2k NFL game comes around...

edit: goddamn it, must've missed this license re-negotiation (http://kotaku.com/355257/ea-extends-nfl-license-into-futurama+esque-2013) earlier on this year. Looks like EA resigned exclusive rights through the 2012-13 season. looks like we gotta wait 4 more years for another opportunity to play a real fucking football game -_-

Outrider
Oct 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that EA has actually been putting out a bunch of decent titles over the past years (both from internal studios and through publishing contracts), but yeah, you're a fool if you're playing their sports or casual titles.

Then again, it's generally a mistake to play any kind of sports game.

But yeah - you're complaining about Madden being crap? Welcome to 1993. Next you're gonna be talking about how water is wet and you need air to breathe

I'm glad you like football, but Madden is just like every other annual licensed game. It's buggy and rushed. I'd say you have a point if everyone else in the world was praising the game and it was actually broken, but it's pretty much a universal truth that the Madden games are the same thing year after year and generally pretty crappy.