PDA

View Full Version : Q: How does a game lose a perfect Famitsu score?

Hiero_Glyph
Oct 21, 2009, 09:40 AM
A: By letting SEGA handle the port.

http://kotaku.com/5386238/bayonettas...theres-a-catch

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Bayonetta's "Perfect" Famitsu Score - There's A Catch...

How so? Well, that quartet of 10s awarded by the Famitsu editorial staff is only for the Xbox 360 (http://kotaku.com/tag/xbox360/) version. The PlayStation 3 (http://kotaku.com/tag/playstation3/) port handled by SEGA, clearly lagging behind its more perfect sibling (http://kotaku.com/5368336/hands+on-with-bayonetta-+-the-ps3-version), was granted a 38 out of 40 from Famitsu.

SEGA FTL!

MadDogg
Oct 24, 2009, 04:58 AM
I don't know if I can exactly blame sega for that though. Its pretty normal for the 360 version of a game to be a bit better than the PS3 counterpart on a normal basis. There is the rare exception though, just like in the SNES/genesis, psx/n64/saturn, and ps2/dreamcast/gamecube/xbox generations, you always have that one console that just flat out do multiplatform games the best, no big deal really.

Arika
Oct 24, 2009, 07:18 AM
Because it is a "port"
Depend on the original company to work toward which platform, the port one will have worse result. It is the same as you convert your video file, you can't make it better, can only make it smaller.
Resident 5 has faster load time in xbox too, just not this much.

If it was "rework", then it will get different performance based on the capability of console itself. PS3 will usually get better quality.

For example : Tales of Vesperia PS3 version. it is a "rework" for PS3, not just a "port".

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
Because it is a "port"
Depend on the original company to work toward which platform, the port one will have worse result. It is the same as you convert your video file, you can't make it better, can only make it smaller.
Resident 5 has faster load time in xbox too, just not this much.

If it was "rework", then it will get different performance based on the capability of console itself. PS3 will usually get better quality.

For example : Tales of Vesperia PS3 version. it is a "rework" for PS3, not just a "port".
Vesperia is a bad example. Firstly because it was timed exclusive, secondly it was the only way it would have passed Sony's check. Microsoft paid big bux to keep that game off Sony's console for a year.

Simultaneous release titles, 360 usually has marginally better graphics, ppl too lazy to make full use of PS3.

Arika
Oct 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
they could release 2 platform together, but they can only develope mainly for one platform at first. and another one will be just "port"
(too many example of the game that release on the same date for PS3/Xbox360 are all this case. Most developer use window and microsoft kit, because it is easier, so the xbox360 is their main working system. then port to PS3)

TOV is a good example of rework, because they actually have enough time to rework for PS3, not just a easy+fast port. so the system will be made to fully supposed PS3.

SO4 will be the same.

You can't really rework on 2 console and release it on the same date. It take more time than just a port.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 24, 2009, 09:17 AM
TOV is a good example of rework, because they actually have enough time to rework for PS3, not just a easy+fast port. so the system will be made to fully supposed PS3.
http://kotaku.com/5360375/japanese-developer-microsoft-making-ps3-development-easier-%5Bupdate%5D

"Then Sony says," the developer blogs, "'We won't approve the game if it's exactly the same as the Xbox 360 version. You must put in lots of extra content.'" Namco added new content such as a new pirate girl character.

Of course they had time, it was a timed exclusive (problem was they didn't tell anyone it was timed)... But it sounds like they were trying to do a easy+fast port in the beginning and Sony just wouldn't let them. Then 360 players end up feeling betrayed :p

Arika
Oct 24, 2009, 09:29 AM
It is good that SOny doesnt let they do fast-easy port.
or else, it would be a game that release late and still not be as good as it was on xbox. (since port will give worse quality than original. It usually effect frame rate more than other stuffs. I know because I have both console)

I m waiting for the next SO4 inter too.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 24, 2009, 09:31 AM
No more having to swap discs every time you warp to another planet!

ashley50
Oct 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
No more having to swap discs every time you warp to another planet!

LOL...I remember a friend saying that when he played SO4.

Arika
Oct 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
LOL...I remember a friend saying that when he played SO4.

Is that Rain?

ashley50
Oct 24, 2009, 09:43 AM
Is that Rain?

Bingo :P

pinkace
Oct 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
I find it funny that last generation, Xbox had to deal with 'lazy ports' because game were made to work first on PS2 and then ported to GC and XB. Now they only have 2 platforms that are infinitely more similar than GC, PS2 and Xbox were, they can't get it right?

Cross-platform tools were still in development when the previous generation of systems was released (between 1999 and 2001). Tools for multi-games have been tweaked and perfected since before either PS3 or 360 were released, hell, even before the SDK's were released. I see no reason why devs can't do a good job on a port.

Keilyn
Oct 24, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you remember also, in order to maximize profits...Software piracy was up so high that Sony and Nintendo made their own copy protection measure, making game development even tougher.

When Playstation 2 was released, almost no one wanted to develop for it because of such difficulty in programming for it. Xbox was a lot easier to develop with....and the principle between the Xbox360 and Xbox vs PC gaming development lies mostly in the XO Coding headers...

...which is a good thing because you can release a Config file for video game controllers, along with a graphic scaling to fall into limits of the Xbox and mipmapping mode and making a port becomes a lot easier.

The only problem I have with ports is how they charge 50 - 60 dollars for a PC game port of a game that had been out for weeks or months on a PC when porting older games...Oblivion comes to mind....when the Console version was released for $60, the PC version of the game was $50 but included the expansions to the game...and had a GoTY edition too.

Hrith
Oct 26, 2009, 04:30 PM
No more having to swap discs every time you warp to another planet!Installing games FTL?

MadDogg
Oct 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
I can't believe some people are actually supped for star ocean 4. That game was straight ass cheeks in my humble opinion, and thats coming from a old school jrpg gamer thats been playing them since the nes. I recommend game flying that instead of dropping 60 on that game PS3 owners, if it makes it overseas that is.