PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 how much life is left?

Piru
Oct 31, 2009, 01:06 PM
I really want to come back, but doesnt really want to play alone ethier. If i wanted to do that i'd probally pick up psp(which im also considering). So is this game dead and time to move on or no? I already expect to hear a half star full..... which is pretty depressing.

Powder Keg
Oct 31, 2009, 01:13 PM
Last night I saw PC/PS2 peak at a Star and a half. I couldn't tell you how long that's going to last.

Shou
Oct 31, 2009, 01:15 PM
That is over 300 people online at once. Is that enough for you?

Xefi
Oct 31, 2009, 01:45 PM
You can wait for the upcoming MAG+ event for more people
to come back and play. It's a lot easier to find parties and
people to play with during that time. After the event though,
PSU might go back to a barren waste land again.

Keilyn
Oct 31, 2009, 08:46 PM
Mag+ will be a lot better, but the fact remains it will be the same as it usually is in events.....People hogging one lobby out of all that exist in all universes and replaying the same mission 1000s of times ^_^.

Of course thats what we call a good game...a beat em-up game that restricts you on everything that has people recognize as refreshing and charges a fee for subscriptions and another fee for new in-game content (GC).

This game has always been dead, but at times it can be fun. To me....having the PC/PS2 servers have under 55K people in a three year period where every other MMO or RPG I've played has always had 100K - 500K in the first weekend alone proves a lot.

I play PSU if I want a simple beat-em up game where everything is about leveling..PA levels, Type Levels, EXP Levels etc.....I play Guild Wars if I want everything else. ^_^

Dhylec
Oct 31, 2009, 08:59 PM
Pc/Ps2 population isn't good now, but I think a big update/event would bring back people on break. I personally waiting for the Supplement. ;]

Tetsaru
Oct 31, 2009, 09:33 PM
The game's been dead to me for a while now, and as long as Sega keeps holding out things on us, it's staying that way. If you've got some friends you can hang out with, that might keep you interested; otherwise, don't throw away $10 a month expecting nothing but procrastination and disappointment in terms of "updates." =/

DreXxiN
Oct 31, 2009, 09:46 PM
7 days..

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 31, 2009, 11:00 PM
People keep thinking that the supplement update will save PSU, truth is they STILL drip-feed GC and GAS content and give us 8 week events instead.

RemiusTA
Nov 1, 2009, 12:04 AM
PC/PS2/360 PSU is done for. Dead. 100% obsolete. There is no content or update they can release for PSU that will make it superior (or even remotely equal to) the work done on PSP2.

Im not even going to pay for this anymore, because theres a nice little taste of everything i wanted PSU to be in a 500MB Demo on my PSP, including a battle mode, a force that doesnt feel like shit, and bosses that dont stand there and swallow my sword.

On topic though, this game has been dead for ages, ever since the second 060 error.

Powder Keg
Nov 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
People keep thinking that the supplement update will save PSU, truth is they STILL drip-feed GC and GAS content and give us 8 week events instead.

It's definitely not going to come close to "saving" it. I can see a universe being more full than it has in a long while since there will be more to work for, but it won't last long with the same missions.

VetroDrago
Nov 1, 2009, 01:46 AM
Silly one, there has never been life in psu. We're just outcasts from society playing in our minuscule sanctuary.

Deadlycruow
Nov 1, 2009, 02:11 AM
Is looking forward to psp2! Psu /aoti has just been dull for the longest . simply from lack of content . ..not trying to be a downer people still play this game just depends when your on what day it is and how long your play be open to make new friends because its hard to keep a click aka (party) nower days.

Kion
Nov 1, 2009, 06:53 AM
I was hoping to come back too. Looks like nothing has changed. Am I safe in assuming there are still late lacking updates, and a complete lack of events lagging behind japan, we get one for every dozen there?

fay
Nov 1, 2009, 07:05 AM
I haven't been playing but to answer your question on what I have read Kion then ye. Its the same if not worse.

I have a question here.
Say one was able to acquire some sort of program that runs PSP games and the Phantay Star Portable game on the PC. Would that person be able to play it and access its online features?
Not that I have any of those things :)

Powder Keg
Nov 1, 2009, 11:22 AM
I was hoping to come back too. Looks like nothing has changed. Am I safe in assuming there are still late lacking updates, and a complete lack of events lagging behind japan, we get one for every dozen there?

Well, I have to say that 2009 has been a way better year for updates than 2008 has been. Could they still come faster? Absolutely. I think a lot of people are just taking a step back and saying "Well, this game has been out for three years+ now and we're not even close to having everything...." and throwing the towel at this point. One thing is for certain, the next Phantasy Star game can not be geared this way for online play.

I have a question here.
Say one was able to acquire some sort of program that runs PSP games and the Phantay Star Portable game on the PC. Would that person be able to play it and access its online features?
Not that I have any of those things :)

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. You can buy a cable that allows you to hook your PSP up to your LCD Screen though, which works very nice.

DAMASCUS
Nov 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Updates seem like a moot point anyway since there is no 'fresh' new content left. All they have left is rearranging current content and if its done well(read:not GBR) then peoples interest will be renewed for a short time. It'll be interesting to see how they handle GC if they do it at all..

If the supplemental update is not too late...then we may see a slight resurgence.

fay
Nov 1, 2009, 07:37 PM
The reason I asked that is because I don't particularly want to buy a PSP just for the one game. If I could emulate it on the PC then I would still happily pay SEGA the subscription fees necessary to play online.

SuperRygar
Nov 1, 2009, 08:12 PM
PSU will never die for me. Its like PSO but better and with tons more levels. I will always come back and quit every 3 months and there's no shortage of content for me so I fully enjoy it every time. There will always be a small group of people you can eventually find and form groups with. The game has reached its end for the majority of the players, that's obvious. However that's not the games fault or SEGA, its the person who played it. I played it just fine ^.^

(There are definatly issues with slow updates and other random crap, I KNOW. Play around it)

Keilyn
Nov 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
Usually I play three games...a free MMO , PSU and a singleplayer game.

If I want a game where I can simply beat everything up without truly thinking on the level of other games, then I play PSU. If I want to play a game where I have to think about more than just brute forcing or DoT....then I have Guild Wars.....and when Guild Wars II comes out it will be three games I split my time between. Two Free MMOs and PSU....If I want to deal with a much better story.....my favorite singleplayer game is The Witcher. ^_^

Neith
Nov 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
PC/PS2 isn't dead yet, but if you were to continue that train of thought, it'd be on life support.

Nothing that releases now will ever bring back the people who have left (although in regards to certain people, that's a good thing), and the Supplemental Update is not the saving grace everyone makes it out to be. It's merely another shot that'll keep the game struggling along for a little while longer.

Honestly, I have more fun now playing a DEMO of PSP2 than I do on PSU AoI.

If you want to make a return, it is still possible to have fun but don't expect a large community online.

Keilyn
Nov 1, 2009, 09:04 PM
The only reason PSU/AoTI survives is because of the people who play together with friends. If not for that need and desire, this game woulld have died completely by now. If people were smart enough to believe that there are many games worth playing...and weren't so easy to poach for their money.

...Sega would have been forced years ago to actually update the game or lose the population. When the last WoW expansion came out, many people complained and responded to Blizzard by actually cancelling their subscriptions and refusing to play it because they felt the expansion turned the game into more of a Korean MMO of endless grinding....

The reason I bring up WoW is because when a person playing PC games complains...they actually complain by doing something to hurt the company such as cancel their accounts, Uninstall the game, create forumboards that are more popular than first party forums and even speak out against it in major forums dedicated to the genre....people demand upon the company.....

When people complain on how bad Japanese companies are at maintaining and supporting their games...People still play the game, buy other games from the same company and continue giving their money away to them while saying "That company sucks." To a CEO that is very same as "not being serious" and recognizing an addiction that says "As long as I get their money, who cares what they say?"

Tetsaru
Nov 1, 2009, 09:39 PM
Honestly, I have more fun now playing a DEMO of PSP2 than I do on PSU AoI.

Lol WOW. You know something's fucked up when people start saying things like this... XD

The only reason PSU/AoTI survives is because of the people who play together with friends. If not for that need and desire, this game woulld have died completely by now. If people were smart enough to believe that there are many games worth playing...and weren't so easy to poach for their money.

...Sega would have been forced years ago to actually update the game or lose the population. When the last WoW expansion came out, many people complained and responded to Blizzard by actually cancelling their subscriptions and refusing to play it because they felt the expansion turned the game into more of a Korean MMO of endless grinding....

The reason I bring up WoW is because when a person playing PC games complains...they actually complain by doing something to hurt the company such as cancel their accounts, Uninstall the game, create forumboards that are more popular than first party forums and even speak out against it in major forums dedicated to the genre....people demand upon the company.....

When people complain on how bad Japanese companies are at maintaining and supporting their games...People still play the game, buy other games from the same company and continue giving their money away to them while saying "That company sucks." To a CEO that is very same as "not being serious" and recognizing an addiction that says "As long as I get their money, who cares what they say?"

Y'know, it really boils my blood to see that so many CEO's and other big business leaders nowadays are more interested in profits than the actual quality of the products and/or services they provide. Shit like this is one of the reasons why the economy got so fucked up - because some asshole thought it'd be nice to have that extra million bucks in his pocket just so he could redecorate his living room or something. If I ever personally saw someone do something that selfish, I swear, I would literally beat the living hell out of them...

What pisses me off even MORE is the fact that, even though consumers KNOW they're being ripped off, they're content with it, or else don't want to move on to better things. Is it because they're THAT used to it, or are they just Darwin-Arward-level stupid like Sega is concerning this game!? Sometimes you have to try new things, sometimes you have to muster up some testicular fortitude and say (to quote that one famous movie line), "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore," and stand up for yourself, and influence others who share your problems to do the same thing, and tell these business executives to get their shit together... sorta what I've been trying to do in recent months on these forums. But too often, my words fall on deaf ears, nothing gets done about it, and Sega's games just continue to depress everyone... nothing I can really do about it. <_>;

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 1, 2009, 10:17 PM
Lol WOW. You know something's fucked up when people start saying things like this... XD

Y'know, it really boils my blood to see that so many CEO's and other big business leaders nowadays are more interested in profits than the actual quality of the products and/or services they provide. Shit like this is one of the reasons why the economy got so fucked up - because some asshole thought it'd be nice to have that extra million bucks in his pocket just so he could redecorate his living room or something. If I ever personally saw someone do something that selfish, I swear, I would literally beat the living hell out of them...

What pisses me off even MORE is the fact that, even though consumers KNOW they're being ripped off, they're content with it, or else don't want to move on to better things. Is it because they're THAT used to it, or are they just Darwin-Arward-level stupid like Sega is concerning this game!? Sometimes you have to try new things, sometimes you have to muster up some testicular fortitude and say (to quote that one famous movie line), "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore," and stand up for yourself, and influence others who share your problems to do the same thing, and tell these business executives to get their shit together... sorta what I've been trying to do in recent months on these forums. But too often, my words fall on deaf ears, nothing gets done about it, and Sega's games just continue to depress everyone... nothing I can really do about it. <_>;

An old business man once told me that he is glad that he's on his last leg. Mostly due to the common business practicesses of today. Back in the day most companies would strive for quality and if it meant spending a couple extra bucks then so be it. As long as the product comes out good and the customer is satisfied then its ok because it would start a chain reaction of good news to other potential customers. Nowa days its and this is in his own words "Fuck everybody and they're mother. We need to get something out that these poor saps'll buy and we will make it out of the cheapest shit we can get our hands on. Oh and to hell with the work force in our own back yard we can get some Mexicans or some other foriegn idiots to do our work for us and for cheap. God I hate to call myself an American!". Which is sadly true.

Most comapnies (Nexon of America, Sonic Team, etc) these days hardly ever listen to they're customer base. Yes I understand that the general customer is a whiny, ignorant lil shit and I understand that because I've been in retail since I was 12. BUT! They can also have good ideas on how to improve the company and roll in profits. So before everyone starts charging at Tetsaru with pitchforks ya mind as well charge at me too but this is how I feel as well. Oh also PSU isn't really dead it's kinda...in a nursing home. Watching old reruns of "Leave It To Beaver" and "Murder She Wrote". Also eating Jell-O.

Gunslinger-08
Nov 1, 2009, 11:21 PM

I guess I just enjoy PSU more than I don't enjoy the treatment the English servers get... I'll stick around as long as I get enjoyment out of the game. Does that make me stupid?

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 1, 2009, 11:26 PM
I guess I just enjoy PSU more than I don't enjoy the treatment the English servers get... I'll stick around as long as I get enjoyment out of the game. Does that make me stupid?

Nope. Not at all! Doin something you enjoy doesn't make you stupid. As long as it doesn't involve makin love to zombies. Thats just plain dumb.

Tetsaru
Nov 1, 2009, 11:29 PM
Whatever creams your twinkie, I guess. =x

Gunslinger-08
Nov 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
Whatever creams your twinkie, I guess. =x

Not quite what my choice of words would be, but fair enough. (sarcasm detectors are broken tonight)

Shou
Nov 1, 2009, 11:44 PM
Sounds nice but the big "CEO" isn't the one making the game.

Kinako78
Nov 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Tetsaru, I could probably type a whole essay on how ignorant your recent post was, but I won't indulge you. I'll just say that not everyone has the means to "move on". And don't try feeding me any crap about what I could get if I saved my $10 a month, either, cause if I stopped playing PSU, that $10 would just be gone, period.

FOnewearl-Lina
Nov 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
Tetsaru, finding it hard to "move on".

Shou
Nov 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
What I was saying was that I don't think the same people that created the enemies, missions, and items are the same that make the financial decissions for the game. So saying that the big CEO knows anything about the game accept how well it is selling and its expences just sounds a little funny to me. Blame the people who designed the game if you don't like it.

Would you blame the Safeway store owner because Captain Crunch isn't what it used to be? No.

Powder Keg
Nov 2, 2009, 12:37 AM
ITT people who don't realize no profit/money more than likely = no sequel or future games. Gaming has evolved over the years, and obviously less risks are going to be taken.

Aorre
Nov 2, 2009, 12:43 AM
437 days' worth.

Shou
Nov 2, 2009, 12:43 AM
I hope there will be a new PS console game after PSU. As long as PSU can pay for its fixed costs, I don't see why not.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 2, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm sure there will be Shou. I mean look at all the good reviews the PSP2 demo is gettin. I'd like to see an upgraded PSP2 game with the graphical technicalities as FF14 or something to that effect. Something big and awesome.

And with zombies....

Ruru
Nov 2, 2009, 01:54 AM
And with zombies....

lol
such a fixation with zombies.

as for PSU. it's not really dead... not yet anyway. once sega shuts down the servers for good it will be "dead" but as of right now it's mostly on life support. i'll honestly say there's no hope, IMO, for PSU. i still love the game and i'll keep playing it until it's gone, but sega/ST all the people involved with the upkeep of this game really need to be slapped around a bit and hopefully learn from their mistakes before they go and make a new PS mmo.

Tetsaru
Nov 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'll just say that not everyone has the means to "move on".

The hell's THAT supposed to mean? You married to the game or something?? Either you play it, or you don't - it's that simple... please elaborate.

And don't try feeding me any crap about what I could get if I saved my $10 a month, either, cause if I stopped playing PSU, that $10 would just be gone, period.

I still don't follow you... do you have bills to pay?? A kid to take care of?? Are you an impulsive spender?? All valid excuses, but if you DID quit, it doesn't mean the money would just vanish as quickly by itself...

Tetsaru, finding it hard to "move on".

Lol, tell that to Kinako up here. You should know by now that I quit the game months ago due to Sega's DERP-ness, and that I stay on the forums not only because I made good friends here, but because I want to see some proper closure to this game, whether it's getting the updates we deserve, or shutting down the servers for good, or implementing private ones. I've had this discussion countless times already...

What I was saying was that I don't think the same people that created the enemies, missions, and items are the same that make the financial decissions for the game. So saying that the big CEO knows anything about the game accept how well it is selling and its expences just sounds a little funny to me. Blame the people who designed the game if you don't like it.

Would you blame the Safeway store owner because Captain Crunch isn't what it used to be? No.

Of course I wouldn't blame Safeway for it - they're the retailer, not the manufacturer. I'd complain to someone at the Quaker Oats Company. You're comparing two completely different entities... granted, I'd be upset if some worker at Safeway, say, tore up the boxes of Cap'n Crunch cereal during the whole unloading/stocking process (I had a similar job at Wal-Mart, I know how it goes sometimes), then yeah, I'd put the blame on them, but they're not the ones responsible for what actually goes into the cereal to make it cut the roof of your mouth taste the way it does.

I'm well aware that CEO's aren't DIRECTLY responsible for the quality of things, but I'll be damned if they're not responsible for being the face of their companies - for pushing them in certain directions and maintaining certain ideals, even corrupt ones. They probably give a lot of instructions to CFO's too concerning how things are funded, and that can directly relate to how much effort goes into a game depending on the size of the budget. With money comes power. Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart, one of the biggest retailers in the world today (who also bought one of his first stores as an entrepreneur in the very town I live in), went out of his way to make sure his customers got the treatment and respect they deserved. Well, he's dead now... can you honestly say you get the same treatment at the supercenter stores nowadays?

as for PSU. it's not really dead... not yet anyway. once sega shuts down the servers for good it will be "dead" but as of right now it's mostly on life support. i'll honestly say there's no hope, IMO, for PSU. i still love the game and i'll keep playing it until it's gone, but sega/ST all the people involved with the upkeep of this game really need to be slapped around a bit and hopefully learn from their mistakes before they go and make a new PS mmo.

It's as good as dead. I dunno about you guys, but if I was bedridden in a hospital for the rest of my life, unable to go out and live my life normally, I'd rather someone just pull the plug on me... it just seems like the moral thing to do, imo. No sense in wasting money and resources on someone for which there is no known cure, no chance of survival. Ever heard the saying, "If you love something, let it go?"

I want PSP2 and PS0 to be successful, and I want to see a new online console Phantasy Star game as much as everyone else around here does... but only time and Sega's future actions, whether good or bad, will tell us that, and so far, I'm just like this:
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2008/04/Best%20Sonic%20moments/FootTapper--article_image.jpg

DAMASCUS
Nov 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
The hell's THAT supposed to mean? You married to the game or something?? Either you play it, or you don't - it's that simple... please elaborate.

I know for myself, if I weren't so attached to my characters, I wouldn't still be active. Casual + Four Characters = Always busy. Although, this 'marriage' is going to end in tragedy either way :( *considers a divorce*

Tetsaru
Nov 2, 2009, 10:12 AM
I know for myself, if I weren't so attached to my characters, I wouldn't still be active. Casual + Four Characters = Always busy. Although, this 'marriage' is going to end in tragedy either way :( *considers a divorce*

Ehh, it happens at some point in all RPG's. The only difference is that, in MMO's, you have more customization and time put into your characters, and since they're server-side, good luck trying to recover the data for them... it's just something you have to accept. Besides, I doubt they'll be gone for good until PSU WAS finally shut down... Sega apparently doesn't keep a close eye on that sort of thing, much less anything else... >_>

Dhylec
Nov 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
This is always the kind of topic I am afraid to pop up, with the situation of the server, Sega & population of PSU now. This is my first (for this topic) and final warning: Keep it on topic & not at each other. If you must get personal, use PM.

Tetsaru
Nov 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
This is always the kind of topic I am afraid to pop up, with the situation of the server, Sega & population of PSU now. This is my first (for this topic) and final warning: Keep it on topic & not at each other. If you must get personal, use PM.

Funny how the mods always chime in after I post something on a touchy subject and everyone starts getting riled up at my opinions... thanks for always making me look like the guilty one, guys. -_-X

Oh well, I posted my thoughts, you guys can cuss and discuss...

GreenArcher
Nov 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
This game is by no means "dead". It is however, what you make of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kinako78
Nov 2, 2009, 06:16 PM

I still don't follow you... do you have bills to pay?? A kid to take care of?? Are you an impulsive spender?? All valid excuses, but if you DID quit, it doesn't mean the money would just vanish as quickly by itself...[/img]

Ok, I'll elaborate. It's about a little thing called mo-ney. I can't afford to buy a 360 or a PS3 or a PC that will actually play the newest PC games. I'm lucky to have a Wii.

And if you know of anything else that I can do for fun for $10 a month, do tell.

Edit: To honor the wishes of Dhylec, I will also add an on-topic statement. As GreenArcher said, this game isn't really dead, but how much enjoyment you get out of it is up to you.

Keilyn
Nov 2, 2009, 08:24 PM
And if you know of anything else that I can do for fun for $10 a month, do tell.

Guild Wars. The game is not about grinding, but its about tactics...It is free to play online and has existed for four years. Guild Wars Trilogy is $40 - $50 and the game has 6 million subscribed to it who are free to play anytime they want.

Since the game is free, you can divide your time between Guild Wars when you want a real serious game about tactics and skill and not just hack and slash gameplay in both PvE and PvP (which are completely seperated in-game) and if you want hack and slash gameplay which revolves around leveling everything that amounts to damage and speed....not to mention repeating the same areas over and over again looking for that one drop....

...then sure...you can play PSU and admire all its cuteness and everything it brings to the game.

The neat part is that you get two completely different games. One has tons of players and Support and is free to play online...The other is endless grinding, lack of support, very few players and has been dead in the sense people have to take a chance by accident to end up finding this game in the real world and actually playing it. ^_^

What saves this dead game is that all you really need are few friends to play the game and to you the game will always be alive. ^_^ However as population goes and things are...This game is so dead that every new player says "WOW!! PEOPLE!" as the first line...

I think they should reduce the ten servers to three servers...until we get more people.

str898mustang
Nov 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
This game has plenty of life left.

also Guild Wars yuck. I'd rather pay 10 bucks a month and be able to use a controller than the game be free and having to use a keyboard. I cant stand keyboard games. And yes, i've seen Guild Wars gameplay, my brother plays it.

DreXxiN
Nov 2, 2009, 09:24 PM
You can use a controller on Guild Wars if you know what you're doing. :P

I don't know what else you could do with 10 dollars, but Burger King has been getting some pretty delicious meals.

str898mustang
Nov 2, 2009, 09:46 PM
You can use a controller on Guild Wars if you know what you're doing. :P

I don't know what else you could do with 10 dollars, but Burger King has been getting some pretty delicious meals.

Just looked at it and seems most controllers dont have enough buttons.

Dont forget Hardees either

Keilyn
Nov 2, 2009, 09:46 PM
This game has plenty of life left.

also Guild Wars yuck. I'd rather pay 10 bucks a month and be able to use a controller than the game be free and having to use a keyboard. I cant stand keyboard games. And yes, i've seen Guild Wars gameplay, my brother plays it.

Considering I have two global PvP wins and had top 100 placement in some tournaments and have won prizes...I won't shoot down guild wars. ;P

However...Im not into being illogical..

I will meet you halfway and say that simple games are good on controllers, but there are some games that were very complex in its controls but worked.

Tell me something, have you by any chance ever played the old Wing Commander games? The game had 30 - 40 controls and worked on a controller, but when I played it on PC, I found that a Keyboard was far better to actually play the game.

Also, you shouldn't be biased about the interface you choose....You have keyboards, mouses, joysticks, controllers...My advice is to learn to use them all.

A game i loved more than PSU and played the same way except it was a fully persistent world was Risk Your Life and that game allows you to use WASD + Space bar for movement and really was good in PvP and PvE.

Squirrel3D
Nov 2, 2009, 09:48 PM
Since the game is free, you can divide your time between Guild Wars when you want a real serious game about tactics and skill and not just hack and slash gameplay in both PvE and PvP (which are completely seperated in-game)

I never liked PvE or PvP because in my opinion they are ego-boosting unfair play modes. Call me a "casual MMO player" who likes to hack and slash. That's just what I am.

So something like a PSU would be more of my level of interest.

And one more thing...this game too me seemed to be going dead for a while until the new GBR came along. So let's see how long that will last and if another interesting update follows it.

They still haven't fixed the most broken censor in the history of console online gaming and I'm gonna contuine to harp on this as long as it takes.

str898mustang
Nov 2, 2009, 10:01 PM
Considering I have two global PvP wins and had top 100 placement in some tournaments and have won prizes...I won't shoot down guild wars. ;P

However...Im not into being illogical..

I will meet you halfway and say that simple games are good on controllers, but there are some games that were very complex in its controls but worked.

Tell me something, have you by any chance ever played the old Wing Commander games? The game had 30 - 40 controls and worked on a controller, but when I played it on PC, I found that a Keyboard was far better to actually play the game.

Also, you shouldn't be biased about the interface you choose....You have keyboards, mouses, joysticks, controllers...My advice is to learn to use them all.

A game i loved more than PSU and played the same way except it was a fully persistent world was Risk Your Life and that game allows you to use WASD + Space bar for movement and really was good in PvP and PvE.

I didn't get into PC gaming till about 4 years ago(I was a console person) not to mention, I play PSU on dial-up and there's not many MMO's that can run on dial-up. My brother plays Guild Wars on dial-up too.

I do agree that FPS games like Halo are much easier with KB and mouse(easier to aim)

I guess the reason I dont like KB is the way a KB is shaped. A controller is shaped a certain way and u know exactly where each button is in ur mind just from the shape. But a game with 30-40 commands during gameplay, i dunno about that. To each his/her own though.

Alamar
Nov 2, 2009, 10:47 PM
There is a lot of things that could have happened that should have happened but did not. I never was one to watch the JP version of the game and compare us to them. I look at pictures from a JP site at times. Does me no good really I could look all day. I can't read Japanese. Pictures can not be translated.
I never did understand that really. Go with what we have not what they have. Quit paying attention. Who is to blame well. I put some responsibility on those on both sites(Official & here) that started posting JP updates. Why was it necessary for us to know what Japan is getting? Except for the most common response "See they always get the good stuff we always have to wait" Or something close to that.
Does someone in JP post what we are getting? Anyone know if this happens? I understand the reasons for posting them to see what "is" coming in the future. I do however think this blew up in those who looked faces. After a while disappointment set in then jealousy set in. In turn total disgust for Sega and the game.
Are these posts the only reason these feelings came about? Of course not that's ridiculous to say. I do believe they did not help. After we started to fall behind Japan in updates to continue to post them was like rubbing salt in the wound so to speak.
There is not just one thing or person to blame. I stay now for the friends I made 3 years ago.
I am lucky to still play with those people in our own group every night. I stay till they go. And to sum this all up. Isn't that why we should be playing this game? To meet people and have fun? Not Japan vs. U.S. Update wars. Not Sega sucks blah blah. Meet people from where ever have fun. If you take the game that serious and updates and what not mean more then this then maybe it is time to step away from gaming for awhile.

Kion
Nov 2, 2009, 11:00 PM
Most comapnies (Nexon of America, Sonic Team, etc) these days hardly ever listen to they're customer base. Yes I understand that the general customer is a whiny, ignorant lil shit and I understand that because I've been in retail since I was 12. BUT! They can also have good ideas on how to improve the company and roll in profits.

Maybe, but I also have to go with what Yahtzee says, ""Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it. Incidentally, why not buy a Zero Punctuation t-shirt?"

If i recall, PSU`s balance updates were basically responses to players bitching and turned the game into a horribly difficult game requiring team work into a cake walk slow enough for forces to hit everything with digga. Fans have a couple of good ideas and input but it`s better to simply take them into consideration and focus on making something challenging enough to be fun.

It`s a shame bout the lack of support because the game is so fun. There are alot of games that are good, but die for the same reason. To bring wow into this, blizzard actually has amazing support. They have quick patches for problems, updates and changes to keep anyone who wanders into their world there. For sonic team people did back up their words with their wallets and cancelled their subscriptions but it had no effect. What we`ve ended up with is a PS fan base shell of our japanese counter part server.

What I find most critical about PSU was the slow unlocking of content. I find it appalling that you had to pay for the game while they drip feed you the content, in contrast to other games which give you huge areas to explore and build on top of that with updates, fixes, events and expansions. It`s been three years and all of the content still hasn`t been released which means basically that if you payed 50$ for PSU, and 50$ for AoI and then three years at 10$ a month; players are spending over 400$ for essentially an incomplete game. Also the system punishes people who play it. By only having one new mission a month it forces the entire population to gather there, max out, play it to death and wait for the next update to do it again. All of the hard core players who would normally play the game for the longest are getting hurt because everything comes much faster easier with each update and their hard earned wares quickly become obsolete, so what gives them the motivation to keep playing?

The best part about open ended mmo`s is exploration. I would have had a big portion of the content open at first for people to roam around, explore and try to help each other out and make sense of it. Then spend most of my time server side focusing on fixes, and events. Then come out with major updates and changes when needed. Which is why i quit the game until they stopped screwing around and released everything, but it looks like i should give up on my US side character and turn to the JP server if i ever actually do so.

I wonder if petitioning a server merge at the threat of canceling subscriptions would work, or if ST would simply say good riddance.

Keilyn
Nov 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
I didn't get into PC gaming till about 4 years ago(I was a console person) not to mention, I play PSU on dial-up and there's not many MMO's that can run on dial-up. My brother plays Guild Wars on dial-up too.

I do agree that FPS games like Halo are much easier with KB and mouse(easier to aim)

I guess the reason I dont like KB is the way a KB is shaped. A controller is shaped a certain way and u know exactly where each button is in ur mind just from the shape. But a game with 30-40 commands during gameplay, i dunno about that. To each his/her own though.

The keyboard has a problem with the way its shaped...People who play on controllers are more comfortable. I am still a console game and a PC gamer...but I had been a console gamer for far longer.

I had to start buying Zboards and Merc boards in order to have it shaped in a way that it felt comfortable for me for gaming.

I will admit the one thing I like about console gaming is that everyone has the same specs for their platform...but that's ancient history...today so many versions exist of consoles that different specifications exist for the same platform so slowly they are becoming like PCs and offering practically everything.

You are right about dial-up screwing things up. The only thing to Guild Wars is that even if you play yourself you have to have an online connection. That part I will give to you all the way in agreement to the "yuckiness" but at the same time I like playing any game that is "Different" than the mainstream as a blow against the mainstream that I won't spend my money on a rehash of the same game type in the genre..

My solution as PSU and Guild Wars are opposites is that to play them both...If I get bored of PSU, I play GW...If I get bored of GW, I play PSU....and that has always worked for me. ^_^

Sometimes you want to go and destroy everything and have everything straightfoward and simple....Other times you want more like exploration. PSU doesn't offer anything in terms of Exploration, but it offers a lot in combat in PAs and the such....GW offers a lot in both but is not as Direct as PSU...^^

I never liked PvE or PvP because in my opinion they are ego-boosting unfair play modes. Call me a "casual MMO player" who likes to hack and slash. That's just what I am.

If you don't like PvE or PvP...then you don't like RPGs.....because those are the only two systems in existence.

PSU is a 100% PvE game.

PvE means "Player vs Environment" where a player fights either alone or in a team against computer AI (Computer controlled enemies) and the environment such as traps and the layout that can go with your or against you.