PDA

View Full Version : Why do people quit still post?

Warpath
Nov 4, 2009, 07:10 PM
Why do so many people that quit PSU still post on these forums? I quit FFXI and I don't post on there sites even though they are ban happy, banning people for dumb ass reasons.

BIG OLAF
Nov 4, 2009, 07:14 PM
There's a myriad of reasons. They either like this community, and even though they don't play anymore, enjoy discussing the games with people that still do. Others stay around just to simply annoy people, and claim how dumb everyone is for still paying for "that awful game", or whatever. There aren't too many of the latter. There are also sub-forums for PS0 and PSP/2, so some people have since quit PSU, and prefer those other Phantasy Star games.

I don't know. Don't listen to me, because I still do play. It would be better for the people that do not to actually come in here and tell you themselves.

Shou
Nov 4, 2009, 07:25 PM
Most are probably waiting to see if something interesting enough will be changed or added to the game that would make them want to come back. Some come back to check in with old online friends.

I have even heard that some say they want to see closure with the game. I would immagine you must be very obsessed with a game to need closure. >_>

Wash
Nov 4, 2009, 07:26 PM
I quit PSU about a year and a half ago, but I just got back into this community because I heard about PS0's release (only like 2 weeks ago, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before haha). Yeah the community is great: connections for playing with cool people are easy, and questions get answered quickly.

idk compared to other online communities this one just happens to be filled with nicer/helpful people.

Warpath
Nov 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah the community is great: connections for playing with cool people are easy, and questions get answered quickly.

idk compared to other online communities this one just happens to be filled with nicer/helpful people.

Alot of the people that quit normaly post negitive but it is nice to see people like you that quit still post positive.

Princess1977
Nov 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
Most are probably waiting to see if something interesting enough will be changed or added to the game that would make them want to come back. Some come back to check in with old online friends.

I have even heard that some say they want to see closure with the game. I would immagine you must be very obsessed with a game to need closure. >_>

I know right?
I don't wanna see the game end. I hope it has a long life. ^^ I do hope they add on to it tho. :)

Ryno
Nov 4, 2009, 07:57 PM
Why do so many people that quit PSU still post on these forums? I quit FFXI and I don't post on there sites even though they are ban happy, banning people for dumb ass reasons.

even though i still play PSU

I've been mostly posting in off topic about football since it's football season.... if that counts

I hope the jaguars pull it off this sunday especially with that loss against the titans..

necman
Nov 4, 2009, 08:07 PM
Althou I can not speak for those that did what I did not do, this is an online community for phantasy star and not just psu. I don't play morrowind anymore but does it mean I can't drop by to see how the community is doing! Some times the posts should have been kept out of the boards but usually the truth comes out in a way that nobody really wants to hear, as it's usually negative. And I mean truth in general is negative. There is also lots of positives from them as well. Well that's my two cents. Maybe I will put more thought into in one day and upgrade it to a nickle.

str898mustang
Nov 4, 2009, 08:50 PM
some people just come to see what happens

for other people, it's like the gf/bf that u broke up with but u still have feeling for the ex bf/gf but u dont want to give in(for people that dont understand the analogy....the people quit the game and they hate it but secretly they love the game and want to play again)

Keilyn
Nov 4, 2009, 09:14 PM
To answer your question:

Small communities have higher integration, but greater oppression and influence. Ive been in four games (PSU and PSO being two of the four) with small communities. All of them share the very same problem.

A lot of players leave conditionally but have played the game for a long time that they know they can't cut it in a large population game where people don't take crap from anyone and actually its about the game and not about "personal emotion", power or influence.

In fact what I've noticed most is that gamers for the most part do not care about actually playing a game that is "Fair" all the way throughout and want a game where they can be unfair and have an "advantage" over a length of time over another player.

You see these players try it in a large population and see what happens....when no one cares about their attitude and the "elites" that exist actually earned their spot....so they give up and since they don't want a full fallout with the community...decide to post endlessly on the forums until the game gets patched or altered in a way for them to have favorability.

Im not saying they are good or bad people, but for whatever reason they post....PSU has the difference that three versions exist and three communities exist...integrated as one in forumboards. Its difficult enough as is...

Aorre
Nov 4, 2009, 09:32 PM
I like str898mustang's bf/gf analogy. This game has screwed me many times and I still come back to it.

Squirrel3D
Nov 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well I don't about other people...but Tetsaru has every right to post on this forum reguardless of wether he is playing the game or not. He brings up vaild points that are thought provoking, blunt, and to the point.

That's like telling me I can't post on...say...a DBZ forum because I no longer watch DBZ.

BIG OLAF
Nov 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
Tetsaru has every right to post on this forum reguardless of wether he is playing the game or not.

No one was saying he didn't have a right to. He does, just like very other person that has quit but still posts. No one is begrudging them; just asking why they still come here. It's a harmless question (though I know it's one that Tetsaru, among others, is tired of answering).

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 10:21 PM
I quit PSU yet I still play PSO,PSP,PSP2,and PSZ. That gives me a good reason to stick around. That and I amassed some friends here. Also I like torturing some of you with my horrid grammer and poorly thought out jokes. Some which are tastless and sad.

Dhylec
Nov 4, 2009, 10:25 PM
Let's not call out names. It can get very personal & ugly if things don't sound right.

Rust
Nov 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
I mainly only hang around Fan Works, Off-topic and Rants (for popcorn tiem, regarding the latter two), nowadays, and most of the time I'm just lurking.
Giving a look at PSU General once and then, both for popcorn and to keep on track with what's going on with PSU (although interesting threads are very far and few).

I think I quit temporarily though. Might hop on again once my connection won't be a huge pile of bear poo anymore.

Tetsaru
Nov 4, 2009, 10:39 PM
Dhylec, don't worry about it - I'm used to this criticism by now. Forums are a place where people should cuss and discuss their opinions. I figure most of us regulars here are mature enough to understand that, and if not, well then they need to learn. Let them post what's on their minds, and thus, I shall do the same.

Even though I have posted COUNTLESS times why I remain here (even to the point of PUTTING IT IN MY SIG), I guess I'll post my motives yet again, in black and white, to set the record straight:

Yes, I am still active on these forums, obviously.

Yes, I have made a lot of friends on these forums, as well as on PSU. I've probably made a few enemies too, but that's their problem for not liking me and my actions/posts. I can be very blunt at times, but that's because I feel that people need to understand the reality of the game's status compared to other games that offer similar experiences and gameplay, but are often handled and designed so much better.

Yes, I quit PSU a few months ago after playing for not quite 3 years. No, I don't intend to come back, given Sega's current DERP level and apathy towards managing it. If they're not going to keep US/Europe on the same page as Japan, then they don't deserve my money while we keep playing catch-up.

Yes, I want to see how PSU and its successors end up. It, along with PSO, are great games that just need to be nurtured by the right people. I grew up playing the old Sonic games on Genesis, along with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and PSO (regrettably offline only, though I DID get some online items from a friend of mine) on Gamecube, and seeing their quality diminish so sharply over the years just bugs the crap out of me. I want to find a solid understanding of what caused this downward spiral, especially seeing how Sega tends to be so hermit-like to its audience outside of Japan these days. In short, I want the old kickass Sega from the 90's back, when their games seemed so much more gratifying.

No, I don't take bullshit and ignorance from anyone. Don't test me, especially "when are we getting ____" questions and other common knowledge about the game that you can easily search for... I have that sigged for a reason, too... >_>X

If that's not enough for you people, then I guess you can dig up my post history and read to your heart's content. I just hate repeating myself all the time...

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 4, 2009, 11:37 PM
I pretty much quit due to that (ST's lack of respect to foreign players) and money issues. But a few months after I was talkin it up with a Japanese businessman and he said that yea, Japanese companies are a bit weary with doin business with outside corporations but if a foreign customer wants to buy they're products then hell, they'll do anything they can to make damn sure they walk away with whatever they want and then some. Oh and don't worry about Sega's practices. If they wanna do something stupid like screw over the foreign market then let em. They will suffer with they're wallet!

God, despite Japanese businessmen getting a bad rap about that womens panties and bein horn dogs they sure are front about stuff. Also, that takoyaki (a pancake shaped like a fish filled with red bean paste or other filling) really is addicting. Also so is curry. Because I had this beef curry and uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ouhggggggggggg god was it some tasty stuff.

Retehi
Nov 4, 2009, 11:58 PM
No, I don't take bullshit and ignorance from anyone. Don't test me, especially "when are we getting ____" questions and other common knowledge about the game that you can easily search for... I have that sigged for a reason, too... >_>X

What are you gonna do, try to cast Foie through the computer monitor?

Cracka_J
Nov 5, 2009, 08:27 AM
Think the better question is why do people give 2 shits if people that quit still post.

Open forum people, fan made site. Deal.
If you don't like what people that quit are saying, put them on ignore, close your browser window, or just get the hell off psow and actually play the game instead of bitching about the community.

Seriously, your wasting your time with that argument.
I post cause I can, simple as that.

Tianna
Nov 5, 2009, 09:03 AM
Don't hold back now Cracka_J and Tetsaru, tell us how you really feel...lol (you 2 know I kid around, love you guys :) )

I am glad that people that quit still post here even if the weren't my friends. It gives insight and a different perspective to PSU. I may not agree 100% with thier opinion but alot of stuff meakes alot of sense. I happen to be one of those people that play ALOT (7000+ hours) and still love the game. It has alot of faults but I overlook alot of them because I am caught up with awesomefriends and stil find many things to still keep me interested in PSU.

In a nutshell, I am not cooerced into feeling a certain way about PSU by what ANYONE posts. I feel what I feel and have the intelligence enough to "agree to disagree" . You can't really change people's feelings but open your mind and you may see thier point.

Yusaku_Kudou
Nov 5, 2009, 09:16 AM
Been here since near the beginning of PSOW in the first couple months in 2001 (but I didn't make an account until a couple years later), so even if I had quit, I'd probably still come... but I didn't quit.

rayner
Nov 5, 2009, 09:50 AM
Phantasy Star Universe is a game you need to quit at some time or other. I had quit from FEB 2007 to NOV 2007. Then I quit again from MAR 2009 to OCT 2009, when I last left I was really bitter. I posted in the off-topic for awhile then faded away. At some point I'm going to get tired again... or The Supplemental Update will give me enough to do, I'm not super-hardcore like alot of others, I have about 2000 hours logged. I've been arounf PSO World for nearly 7 year ( come FEB ) so I like to visit from time to time... and get me back into PSO / PSU. Just the other night I got my RAmarl to lv 128 :-)

AngelofEnders
Nov 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
Because there isn't a rule stating we can't.

Also because unfortunately there's no other worthwhile forums for PSO/PSU.

I still post on FFXI sites even though I quit like 2 years ago without any desire to ever play that game again because I can.

Why do people need justification to post somewhere?

Cracka_J
Nov 5, 2009, 10:22 AM
In a nutshell, I am not cooerced into feeling a certain way about PSU by what ANYONE posts. I feel what I feel and have the intelligence enough to "agree to disagree" . You can't really change people's feelings but open your mind and you may see thier point.

I find trolling a much more enjoyable hobby then trying to reason with people online ;)

AngelofEnders
Nov 5, 2009, 10:40 AM
I find trolling a much more enjoyable hobby then trying to reason with people online ;)

I condone this behavior.

Tianna
Nov 5, 2009, 10:42 AM

I actually get a kick out of watching people troll others and starting flame wars....does that make me a voyeur? ^^

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 5, 2009, 11:36 AM
I actually get a kick out of watching people troll others and starting flame wars....does that make me a voyeur? ^^

That makes you dirty dirty girl.

But then again so do I. At least I bring popcorn and tasty beverages along!

(and I'm supposed to be the one that helps people out and puts out flame wars. Man I'm bad at my title)

fay
Nov 5, 2009, 12:39 PM
I quit PSU about a year and a half ago, but I just got back into this community because I heard about PS0's release (only like 2 weeks ago, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before haha). Yeah the community is great: connections for playing with cool people are easy, and questions get answered quickly.

I don't mean to sound really negative here but I find that the PSU forums, this one and the official are some of the worst online community groups I have ever known in my life. Sure people get along but These are the ONLY forums I have ever been on that actually care about the way people spell stuff. I have saw people getting abuse over missing a capital letter and so on.
In the same way that people stay on here after quiting for their own reasons then people should be aloud to type how they want without getting abuse.

I just feel that all you grammar Nazis should be killed. People should be able to talk and voice their opinions how they want without negative feedback.

Back on topic. I quite months ago and I still stayed about on the forums. I just like to see whats happening in the game. I might have quit but I still find the game concept good.

Gibdozer
Nov 5, 2009, 12:41 PM

They have way to much free time!

Tetsaru
Nov 5, 2009, 12:42 PM

Nah, I'll just PM ya one to fry that cigarette out of Dr. Strangelove's hand. Fuck you. >_>

Gibdozer
Nov 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
. I have saw people getting abuse over missing a capital letter and so on.

Actually you have seen people getting abuse, I mean unless your a magician then it's acceptable to saw people.

Shou
Nov 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
I don't mean to sound really negative here but I find that the PSU forums, this one and the official are some of the worst online community groups I have ever known in my life. Sure people get along but These are the ONLY forums I have ever been on that actually care about the way people spell stuff. I have saw people getting abuse over missing a capital letter and so on.
In the same way that people stay on here after quiting for their own reasons then people should be aloud to type how they want without getting abuse.

I just feel that all you grammar Nazis should be killed. People should be able to talk and voice their opinions how they want without negative feedback.
Realy?! Wow. I think the PS community is one of the friendliest MMO communities out there!

desturel
Nov 5, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have saw...

I have seen...

I just feel that all you grammar Nazis should be killed.

Goodness knows that proper grammar is a bane on society that should be eliminated. Burn the books. Close down all of the schools. An ignorant society is a docile society.

These are the ONLY forums I have ever been on that actually care about the way people spell stuff.

Generally the older the age group that posts on the forums, the more likely it is that you will find people who will correct your spelling and grammar. I have had my grammar corrected before. I have also corrected mistakes that I have found when reviewing a post that I have made. Being corrected isn't the end of the world.

fay
Nov 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
Realy?! Wow. I think the PS community is one of the friendliest MMO communities out there!

Check both the posts, up and down from yours. That just proves my point.
Sorry to the both of you guys but thats the reason I can't stand being on here some times. I won't mention any names but I had a person on this forum banned already for correcting my posts like that.
I'm not trying to be nasty but it really pi**es me off when people do that. Not everyone is as good as you at English.

Just for the record desturel, I can even point out something in your post that you seem to have missed in the proper way to talk so to speak.

desturel
Nov 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
For the record, I have helped foreign nationals learn English well enough that they could pass a test. I am not an English major. I just happen to understand enough about four different languages that I can assist others in learning English while speaking to them in their native language.

What I tend to see is that foreign people trying to learn English appreciate being corrected on grammar errors while Americans who already know the language dislike being corrected and get defensive. If I am corrected, I note the correction and move on. I rarely spell check or proof read posting on a gaming forum, even my own. I would not have bothered to correct your grammar previously if it didn't appear to be an intentional mistake made to lure out grammar nazi. :)

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
Its the interent people. Not english class. Calm down! It could be worse. I Could Be Talking Like This In All Of My Posts Which As I'm Doing Right Now Is Kinda Irritating Myself So I Guess I Should Stop.

I need a beer...

fay
Nov 5, 2009, 02:08 PM
For the record, I have helped foreign nationals learn English well enough that they could pass a test. I am not an English major. I just happen to understand enough about four different languages that I can assist others in learning English while speaking to them in their native language.

What I tend to see is that foreign people trying to learn English appreciate being corrected on grammar errors while Americans who already know the language dislike being corrected and get defensive. If I am corrected, I note the correction and move on. I rarely spell check or proof read posting on a gaming forum, even my own. I would not have bothered to correct your grammar previously if it didn't appear to be an intentional mistake made to lure out grammar nazi. :)

1 - At no point did I say you weren't smart. There was no need to brag about how smart you are
2 - I am not American
3 - I try to note the correction most of the time as well but I usually forget
4 - It wasn't intentional. I have never passed English before thats why.
5 - Its not drugs. If you don't usually do it then just don't do it. Was no need for that post

desturel
Nov 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
1 - At no point did I say you weren't smart. There was no need to brag about how smart you are

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was that not everyone who corrects grammar is doing it for malicious reasons. Some are trying to help. In my case, I'm generally being sarcastic when I correct a forum post.

2 - I am not American

Perhaps I should have stated native English speaker (American Canada, American US, UK, AU, etc), but if you are ESL/EFL then it's strange that you would think people who correct grammar should die.

fay
Nov 5, 2009, 02:40 PM
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was that not everyone who corrects grammar is doing it for malicious reasons. Some are trying to help. In my case, I'm generally being sarcastic when I correct a forum post.

Perhaps I should have stated native English speaker (American Canada, American US, UK, AU, etc), but if you are ESL/EFL then it's strange that you would think people who correct grammar should die.

Thats fair enough but everyone here shouldn't have to correct others. Leave that to the schools etc. Either way it comes down to there being no need to do it.
Id go as far as to say that I even find it quite insulting when people do it sometimes. I don't think they should die. I just think they should stop doing that.
That goes for all languages, not just English.

Anyway i'm not here to argue, though I do enjoy a good argument lol.

The_Brimada
Nov 5, 2009, 02:56 PM
My account is still active(until the 6th month is up), but I don't really play anymore. Does that count? :o

Volcompat321
Nov 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
Quoted from the PSU Forums.-

Please don't let my next bit of words as a personal attack.
That said-
Why do people think because this is a PSU forum, and someone doesn't play the game, they cant post here?

I play every once in a while.
There's an off topic for a reason, that being it's not only for PSU.
Yes, it's mainly for PSU (I think..), and people post stuff about PSU, but it's not ONLY!

This forum is public, and anyone can make a username and start posting.
I come around here more for the off topic and whatever else, and mostly not for PSU.
Same with PSO-W.
I rarely post on PSU Gen now, and barely even post about the game.
It's public, people come, meet new people, and play if they want.
When they quit, AFTER they already made the friends, you think it's wrong for them to want to keep in touch, while giving some input every once in a while?

/end rant.
Again, don't take that as something personal. Take it as people need to stop saying if you post, you should play.

On topic:
Not everyone that posts "I quit" wants there to be a fight among people in that thread.
Though I do think they want attention.

Powder Keg
Nov 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
My account is still active(until the 6th month is up), but I don't really play anymore. Does that count? :o

At least you still have the ability to play. Gameguard may have just locked me out of the game for good with their new update.

Squirrel3D
Nov 5, 2009, 03:18 PM

It's jackasses like you (yep I said it, edit it if you want) that makes me defend Tetsaru ever so often.

So now I ask what are you gonna do? Contuine to live your life in PSU and not in the real world?

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 5, 2009, 03:23 PM
I honestly don't understand why people feel the need to go after Tetsaru like this. Yea he has his opinion and thats great. But to people who make is "Srs Business" and charge after him with pitchforks and torches makes me wonder. Hell I quit and I kinda don't like PSU and I'll pop off a few reasons why, but if I see someone retort to my reasons with a "Then GTFO the thread!" I'll only repose a response with "Why should I? This isn't a communist run website!".

If you enjoy PSU that much then more power to ya brah. But if someone voices a complain please have the courtesy to not fling a barrage of venemous intent. It only makes you look bad.

The_Brimada
Nov 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
At least you still have the ability to play. Gameguard may have just locked me out of the game for good with their new update.

Yeah I almost didn't see the topic you made about that >_>

I saw a gameguard update when I turned the game on a few days ago, but I was able to get on. Hopefully your issue gets resolved soon!

pinkace
Nov 5, 2009, 08:01 PM
I don't think those who quit the game should not be allowed to post. Like Cracka put it, he posts cause he can.

I just don't see the point. This is a game board that is moderated to exclude posts that are not game related. So since you can't post about non-PSU material on the PSU board, why post on a board you have no interest in? You don't have enough interest to play the game anymore but you have enough to talk about it? I don't get it.

Shou
Nov 5, 2009, 08:15 PM
Yup, nothing wrong with posting even when you are not playing. I think people get angry at the constant bitter attitudes and rants about the game that everyone has already heard and discussed before. You can't seriously expect people at a cooking convention not to get angry at someone who just complains about cooking the entire time in front of everyone?

milranduil
Nov 5, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yup, nothing wrong with posting even when you are not playing. I think people get angry at the constant bitter attitudes and rants about the game that everyone has already heard and discussed before. You can't seriously expect people at a cooking convention not to get angry at someone who just complains about cooking the entire time in front of everyone?

This sums up exactly how I feel on the issue. Also lol @ your 1,111 posts :P

Dhylec
Nov 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
Guys, the topic is already creating some friction among some users. Then some of you had to derail it to fight over some grammar. It's silly, really!

Let me make it clear to those who are wondering if one can post after quitting the game: Yes you can post about the game as much as you want. PSOW doesn't care if you quit or not, but the staff will if you violate forum rules.