PDA

View Full Version : My own instrumental performances of 2 Sonic Team songs.

Akaimizu
Nov 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
Ok. This is the first time I placed a musical contribution to the forums. One of the things I do is music and music soundtrack design. Anyway, for a little fun, I went with a simple setup to play some of my favorite tunes from Sonic Team games. I'll start with 2 hits from Sonic R.

1. Diamond in the Sky

http://files.me.com/akaimizu/994384.mp3

2. Living in the City

http://files.me.com/akaimizu/p2yf31.mp3

A little trivia. These songs were done by myself using the default pack-in program Garageband, on a Mac. As I said, I wanted it to be on an example anybody with a mac would have. None of my professional instruments were used, nor did I go to some more expensive music suite like Logic Pro or Protools, for this. The version used is Garageband 9 and the instruments are default instruments one would have, without buying anything extra on the Mac. This is also doable with or without a USB keyboard. Anyway, hope you like it.

qoxolg
Nov 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
I am impressed you can actually work with something like Garageband :wacko:

I use Renoise myself, which is a oldschool tracker, with all new functions you have in todays sequencers. It only cost me €50 which is quite cheap for music software. I use it in combination with VSTi plugs (which I obviously didn't buy).

Only thing I can comment about the music: It could use some more mastering.

Akaimizu
Nov 6, 2009, 02:47 PM
True. These were done quickly. I can pretty much use anything as music arrangement software. And while I do have the professional setup, I used Garageband as an example of what you can do with that. I also don't do much mastering in Garageband as stuff like Logic or Protools is much better for the mastering stuff.

These examples are pretty much what you can crank out of Garageband by simply setting the tempo, selecting the instruments you like, input the song (no pre-recorded loops, all manual input), and adjust panning and volumes here and there. I also could've used better instruments as well, but I also wanted these examples to use the instruments that a vanilla iLife install would have. Kind of a showpiece if someone just bought a Mac and didn't buy one other piece of software.

fay
Nov 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
Love them both. I haven't heard these before but they are catchy as fu** :)

Akaimizu
Nov 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
I pretty much fell in love with the Sonic R soundtrack from the moment I heard it. The Saturn used redbook audio, for the game, so the game cd could play the music by popping it in a regular CD player. They were really great pick-me-up songs and I'd even listen to them in the car. Richard Jacques was the original composer of the tunes and his music has been heard in quite a few Sega releases and beyond.

qoxolg
Nov 6, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've never played Sonic R, eventough I do own a Saturn with some of the most obscure games :o

SirTopps
Dec 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
dude you are so great man.