PDA

View Full Version : PSU Sequel?

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 02:50 AM
This just in according to a conversation HUnewearl_Meira, staffer of pso world had with Satoshi Sakai of Sonic Team during the Phantasy Star Zero Community Day Event Report there just may be hope for a 2nd coming of the hit series coming to our consoles in the near future maybe even a psn version!!!:-o Here is the conversation "Q: Will there be any more console Phantasy Star games?
A: HMMM! (Seriously, that was the immediate reaction to this question) If the handheld versions are successful, then we’ll likely bring Phantasy Star back to the consoles. You should all go out and buy five copies!" So we all know what we must do if we want a sequel be sure to tell all ur friends and family to purchase their copies of both phantasy star zero and phantasy star portable. Its up to us do we want to let the series die or expand this unique series? I for one would love to see it grow into something massive possibly one day being up there with WoW(wishful thinking of course).:-D So lets chat it up id like to hear ur thoughts on the matter! U may check the phantasy star zero foruum for more deatils.^^;

Volcompat321
Nov 9, 2009, 02:57 AM
Proof or it didn't happen.
Plus, even if there was, if it's not free to play, I doubt it will have enough people to keep up.
(Coming from someone that loves PSU and plays a lot).

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 03:02 AM
What do you mean by proof? and i agree with you on the free part that is clearly shown by the demo's population compared to the real game. If only there was a way to lure more ppl in the series would see a brighter day. I think if they would use some productive advertising that would help alot!!!:-?

DreXxiN
Nov 9, 2009, 03:03 AM
Misleading title is misleading, but I actually expected it.

AzureBlaze
Nov 9, 2009, 03:07 AM
Yes there will be, on the consoles.
There was a thread by someone who went to the TGS a while back and played the psu2psp demo and got to meet that Sakai guy. He asked "What about PSU sequel on the consoles/PC" and the dude literally said "That won't be for a while yet".

No one posted about it because it was part of a huge post to the PSU2 board on here. You can likely still find it, though I forget which PSOW member got to go. Mostly that board doesn't care console sequel.

So yes, if that poster is to be believed (I mean why would anyone bother to make up a detail) then that's actually more confirmation than the above was. "Won't be for a while" means 'yes we're working on something but it's going to take long' while the above was more non commital.

Still, this would be the 2nd time he's affirmed anything where PSOW has caught him at it, so I'd say "it looks good".

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 03:09 AM
Srry to get your hopes up DreXxiN I changed the title to something a lil more appropriate^^"
Yes while its no confirmation it is a lil insight to what they are thinking and makes since that if the series is doing well of course they would branch it off into a larger direction ie. the consoles!

SirTopps
Nov 9, 2009, 03:18 AM
dont need proof. take a mans word for it.

Volcompat321
Nov 9, 2009, 03:19 AM
What do you mean by proof? and i agree with you on the free part that is clearly shown by the demo's population compared to the real game. If only there was a way to lure more ppl in the series would see a brighter day. I think if they would use some productive advertising that would help alot!!!:-?

Proof meaning...what it sounds like.

Why didn't Meira post about it?
Why didn't you [ quote=Meira] [/quote] it? :o

Either way, I do hope for a console, (hopefulle one that doesn't lag like PS2) and maybe even a PC one.
I'm still unsure I'd pay for a sequel monthly.

dont need proof. take a mans word for it.

Pretty hard to trust anyone nowadays.

SirTopps
Nov 9, 2009, 03:24 AM
lol well who really cares. cant we all just chill here?

Volcompat321
Nov 9, 2009, 03:26 AM
Well, if you didn't know someone very well, and he just showed up one day, would you let him borrow money without proof he can and will pay you back?
Or would you want proof (somehow, maybe a friend of a friend of yours can vouch for him) that he can and will pay you back?

Not that being here for so many years makes you more trustworthy, but it does. :wacko:

Until Meira says something about it, I remain skeptical.

SirTopps
Nov 9, 2009, 03:29 AM
its really not the same thing. if you come over to the psz side theres people talking about this thing over there.

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 03:30 AM
It is said when you 1st come to pso world inside the Phantasy Star Zero Community Day Event Report that HUnewearl_Meira's group participated in a teleconference with Satoshi Sakai of Sonic Team. They wrote down some questions and Ruby Elcipse read of the questions to a Sonic Team translator. Satoshi Sakai was the one who answered back with the above info. For the record i understand you cant trust alot of people but thats just the world we all live in now i have been playing since dreamcast v1 and i love the series so i would gain nothing from lying my friend check the details for yourself. Im not saying its confirmed that there is a sequel coming im just saying from what was discussed it is possible as long as both phantasy star portable 2 and phantasy star zero are well recieved. Btw just becuz some1 is new to the forums doesnt mean they are new 2 pso world. I been here ever since dreamcast checking forums, guides, and what not i just didnt feel the need to post til recently so you should consider that next time becuz im far from new here. Simply put ive been here forever just sitting back stay updated. I come here everyday. Just like with xbox live gamerpoints just cause you have more than some1 else does that mean your better than them? If that was the case i wouldnt own so many on l4d!!! lol

Volcompat321
Nov 9, 2009, 03:34 AM
I never said you lied, or were lying.
I just said, proof please.

I don't highly doubt this, but it can be doubtful.
There have probably been about 200 threads saying "NEW PSU2!" or "PSU2" or anything else along the lines.

I don't go down to the PSZ section because I don't even own a DS, and I'm not slightly interested in it as of now.
Though I'm not blaming my ignorance on you, just stating that's why I didn't know anything about it.

SirTopps
Nov 9, 2009, 03:36 AM
and plus i was just saying over all in life you should be more trusting. but thats just how i like to roll. but please do as you see fit

Volcompat321
Nov 9, 2009, 03:39 AM
Eh, trust huh.
Not my cup of tea.

(jk, it's not that bad).
In life it's hard to trust people so easy. For me at least.
It's not that I've been screwed bad or anything, but when you see how people work, sometimes it's tough.
I do my own thing, and it's worked great for me so far.

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 03:46 AM
Thats fine my apologies i want this series to flourish more than anything i actually prefer it over many rpgs because of its unique combat and wpns for 1. I feel that with a little more dedication and polish it could be up there with WoW. It has so much potential but Segac doesnt seem to wanna grasp it. its really quite disappointing!!!v.v

Kismet
Nov 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
Even without proof, what Gozyt says is ACTUALLY very believable. It's a logical cycle of cause and effect. More money means more interest which means a higher demand for the growth of the franchise. It's quite a simple concept to grasp, really.

So my point is, even without tangible proof of Gozyt's statement, even if Sakai had NEVER EVER made such a comment, LOGIC/COMMON SENSE tells us that what I've stated above is the natural order of things. It's happened for millions of games. The perfect example is Disgaea. Hour of Darkness was SUPPOSED to be the only one, but what do ya know? It sold so well that know Nippon Ichi's up to the third game (along with some crappy spin-offs). It's also the reason why Psychonauts never got (and probably never will get) a sequel. It's the best game that nobody ever played, but Tim Schafer/Double Fine did NOT have the funds. It sold much too poorly. Thus, no continuation.

If you want the best chance at having more PSU, show you love and appreciation and want with more money. It's as simple as that. Honestly. :rolleyes:

Ruru
Nov 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
i'd like to see a sequel sometime in the future but only if they add a few changes.

first off they need to fix everything wrong with the game and if it's going to be cross-platform they need to make sure ALL platforms can play it equally instead of this crap we have to deal with now.

secondly, they need to actually give us real service on the NA/EU side or the same garbage that is plagueing PSU now will just continue in the next version no matter how good of a game it is.

And finally. they better damn well advertise this one or we'll once again have the same small population starting out that we had when PSU was originally launched. If they dont advertise it at all outside of japan then you can expect to see the same problems we have now.

anyway those are my thoughts. like i said. i'd love to see a sequel, but only if they actually do it right. otherwise what's the point?

Gozyt
Nov 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thank you Kismet i couldnt of say it better myself. To put it simple we the consumer are what will determine wether we get a sequel or not so if you want more you better be sure to do all you can to spread word but if not dont dont go crying to Sega abou the series dying off.

Krupp
Nov 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
I can also confirm Meira's quote as true. I was at the event as well. But I won't believe anything about a PSU sequel until we see it. Especially looking at the population left right now, I wouldn't expect them to show an interest on making a sequel. All I can do is keep playing PSU and show my support lol.

Anon_Fire
Nov 9, 2009, 11:11 PM
i'd like to see a sequel sometime in the future but only if they add a few changes.

first off they need to fix everything wrong with the game and if it's going to be cross-platform they need to make sure ALL platforms can play it equally instead of this crap we have to deal with now.

secondly, they need to actually give us real service on the NA/EU side or the same garbage that is plagueing PSU now will just continue in the next version no matter how good of a game it is.

And finally. they better damn well advertise this one or we'll once again have the same small population starting out that we had when PSU was originally launched. If they dont advertise it at all outside of japan then you can expect to see the same problems we have now.

anyway those are my thoughts. like i said. i'd love to see a sequel, but only if they actually do it right. otherwise what's the point?

1. Yes, I'd like to see a sequel one day

2. Advertising the game would really help out.

3. SEGA does need to get themselves together

But the problem is:
http://forums.sega.com/showpost.php?p=4152205&postcount=10

What Clumsyorchid said on this post is that PC/PS2 was never intended to be linked with 360, and Sony does not want to offer an experience to a competitor. Microsoft and vice versa.

Squirrel3D
Nov 9, 2009, 11:27 PM
In my opinion, Phantasy Star Portable 2 seems to be PSU2 too me.

Ruru
Nov 10, 2009, 12:43 AM
But the problem is:
http://forums.sega.com/showpost.php?p=4152205&postcount=10

What Clumsyorchid said on this post is that PC/PS2 was never intended to be linked with 360, and Sony does not want to offer an experience to a competitor. Microsoft and vice versa.

i meant console limitations, not linking the servers, although linking the JP PC/PS2 servers with the NA/EU servers would have been a nice start for PSU in that sense. i already know of all the reasons why Xbox wasn't linked with PC/PS2.

by console limitations though, i mean how much PS2 fails in certain aspects of PSU compared to PC/360. if they are going to make a new game for PS3 360 and PC they need to be on equal settings and not limit us so badly when choosing a console version over a PC version like they did with PSU.

lostinseganet
Nov 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
It happened on pso and it happened on psu. Japan getting better treatment then the us and the EU. They said it would be different a long time ago. I feel cheated we are paying for worse treatment and the EU always pay higher for poor treatment. I think there is only one way I would pay for an onlnine subscription for pso/u 2 "Merge the Servers" I want the same treatment for everyone if we wait we all wait for whatever....I'm just sick of it.

BigshowPat
Nov 11, 2009, 07:15 PM
I just want the LAST story mission...

zandra117
Nov 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
PSU doesnt need a sequal, PSP2 is PSU's sequal. PSU has already had 4 installments. PSU, PSU:AOTI, PSP, and PSP2. Its time for an entirely new Phantasy Star. Its time for another evolution of the series.

Dragon_Knight
Nov 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
PSU doesnt need a sequal, PSP2 is PSU's sequal. PSU has already had 4 installments. PSU, PSU:AOTI, PSP, and PSP2. Its time for an entirely new Phantasy Star. Its time for another evolution of the series.

And like nearly everyone else before me, that evolution is going to need to be in the form of better service for US/EU, PSU is great. Even though I've long since quit it and only sporaticaly even check on this site anymore I still love PSU and wish is could be as great here as it is across the ocean. Thats the only real thing holding Phantasy Star back.

Dragwind
Nov 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm guessing any further additions to the core PSU game will be supplemental updates with the eventual rise of PC/X360 download content, though I hope another expansion does arise.

Squirrel3D
Nov 12, 2009, 09:51 PM
I wish they would just bring a end to the whole story...perhaps PSP 2 is the end?

Zeek123
Nov 13, 2009, 03:55 AM
I don't know... It sounds like this guy had his PR hat on and just wants everyone and their dog to go out and buy copies of PS.

What's got me all hot and bothered is how shameless he seems to be.

But anyway! I can't really see how buying hand held games will have that much of an effect on a home console iteration. People are saying it's common sense, and blah blah blah. But the way I see it, the hand helds ARE Sega's new market for this series. The console games bombed, and let's face it:

Sega will milk any franchise dry.

I personally can't wait for a Phantasy Star Pinball! or a Phantasy Star Super Turbo HD Wowee Director's Cut Sudoku!!!!!!

Why make a console game now? For fun? Seems like a good way to get a lot of hopes up.

Luno
Nov 13, 2009, 08:29 PM
With the rising popularity of 4-person co-op games (Left 4 Dead, Borderlands), I think a new phantasy star would really do well. They should just organize it around 4 player (or more) offline and online co-op. From the ground up, they shouldn't model it after the subscription-based service. If they do, they should at least include an offline LAN mode. When they took away the offline co-op, they took away a part of my soul...

Zeek123
Nov 14, 2009, 01:01 AM
I agree with Luno. That was one of PSO's greatest redeeming qualities on the GCN.

Keilyn
Nov 14, 2009, 01:33 AM
First of all...

You shouldn't buy the five games to prove that you like Phantasy Star...Just bearing with a game you pay a monthly subscription is enough. Not to mention what a PC gamers gives up to actually play PSU over other Games...

Example of things found in PSU not seen in any other games:

1) Fractured AoE:

In PSU when you use a PA that involves an area of effect....like Gravity Dance, Ra or Gi techs...you hit an Area, but only few targets actually are hit....Its done for balance, but AoE fails miserably.

In practically every other PC game (and other console games) when an AoE attack occurs...everything inside the area of effect takes a hit. I can play a dozen or so games right now where if 10 monsters are in the area of effect, all 10 will take a hit.

2) Lack of Exploration:

Behind all the rooms, cute character design, weapon designs, animation....all you find are the exact same map with the mission of destroying everything looking for a specific drop. You don't travel anywhere and once you play missions several times, they all fall in line except the CoOpt missions.

3) Lack of Endgame content:

So you got all the top equipment and armors....managed to grind some and have a good team together...So what? There is nothing to challenge you since the developers expected you to grind all the way to max level and stay there forever.....and worse yet if you want endgame content all you have are the story missions...which is singleplayer.

4) Scaling:

A level 1 Foie in Singleplayer Story Mode has more PA % than a Level 50 Foie...and every tech in early levels beats the level 50 network mode version.

The Delsaber-like enemies in Phantom Ruins S give more EXP than killing bosses per kill.

You can't take a friend with you in story mode...its like playing singleplayer online while other games allow you to play through the story with your friends...

4) Lack of Modern Game Graphics:

Nothing larger than 1280x720 when I play most games at 1920x1200 and higher. Lack of any advanced Anti Alliasing or Anisotropic Filtering. No one is going to pay 2000 for a top of the line comp with killer video cards to play a game stuck in the stone ages in graphics.

Trust me...while most gamers prefer lesser graphics in multiplayer for higher framerates...they want the opposite for singleplayer so they can enjoy and see everything....

5) The game has failed so far....

337K between all three versions of PSU in a three year period is horrible for a game....More people buy console games than PC games and when PSU was released....it was one of the few RPGs on XBOX360 and PS2.....meaning they had the ability to corner the market....and completely failed.

Many people have moved on from the total subscribed list......

Even a NO-NAME company like ArenaNet when they first made Guild Wars launched and Open Beta in 2005 which had 500K people sign up in that three day weekend alone.

6) ArenaNet proved that you could have millions of people in a server without having to pay monthly subscription fees. Why should I pay anything to play an online game like PSU when it also offers no real updating and support?

7) You don't see anymore people making games exclusive for one console...unless of course they come from Japan.......Which is where Phantasy Star Zero and PSP II come into play. Not everyone is going to want to buy both handhelds and the games to continue playing PhantasyStar.....while also paying a monthly fee....

Sorry...but Sega shot itself in the foot...

if a new Phantasy Star existed it would have to be a completely new concept , a completely new universe and actually make the game released on all platforms like non-japanese games tend to be....and have in-game graphic adjustment client side like in PC games...and all log into the same server systems.

Having a company create a server for just Japanese, while only covering and speaking about their own version in press releases, and ignoring those in other versions released by them is by far one of the most racist things Ive seen a game development company do...

Zarode
Nov 14, 2009, 04:55 AM
First of all...

Should I get a drink? Firewater maybe?

Not to mention what a PC gamers gives up to actually play PSU over other Games...

Dignity, price, and virginity of youth come to mind when I think PSU sacrifices. :roll:

Example of things found in PSU not seen in any other games:

Oh dear god. Here comes the trainwreck.

1) Fractured AoE:

In PSU when you use a PA that involves an area of effect....like Gravity Dance, Ra or Gi techs...you hit an Area, but only few targets actually are hit....Its done for balance, but AoE fails miserably.

It's better than trying to manage cluster fucks of infinite AoE attacks. You get a set amount of targets per hit. Good players learn how to manage it, and the damage output. If it lacks, they don't use it.

In practically every other PC game (and other console games) when an AoE attack occurs...everything inside the area of effect takes a hit. I can play a dozen or so games right now where if 10 monsters are in the area of effect, all 10 will take a hit.

And guess what dozen of games PSU is not?

2) Lack of Exploration:

Behind all the rooms, cute character design, weapon designs, animation....all you find are the exact same map with the mission of destroying everything looking for a specific drop. You don't travel anywhere and once you play missions several times, they all fall in line except the CoOpt missions.

Just like PSO.

3) Lack of Endgame content:

So you got all the top equipment and armors....managed to grind some and have a good team together...So what?

You chill, with your Doombringer +60.

There is nothing to challenge you since the developers expected you to grind all the way to max level and stay there forever.....

Actually, the Japanese prefer this. Sure, they like challenges, but they also prefer how this works. Guess what kind of game PSU is? I'll give you a hint, it ain't western.

and worse yet if you want endgame content all you have are the story missions...which is singleplayer.

Surprise: They aren't endgame content. This isn't Guild Wars.

4) Scaling:

A level 1 Foie in Singleplayer Story Mode has more PA % than a Level 50 Foie...and every tech in early levels beats the level 50 network mode version.

Because these are two separate game modes with different balancing mind sets. Duh.

The Delsaber-like enemies in Phantom Ruins S give more EXP than killing bosses per kill.

Rare enemy + Exp Modifier jacked way the hell up = cash. Yeah, it sucks, but then again, you are playing a shitty event circuit anyways.

You can't take a friend with you in story mode...its like playing singleplayer online while other games allow you to play through the story with your friends...

OH NO I'M ALL ALONE I HAVE SEPARATION ANXIETY LIKE A LITTLE PUPPY THAT OR I'M AWFUL AT THIS EASY AS HELL GAME

4) Lack of Modern Game Graphics:

Nothing larger than 1280x720 when I play most games at 1920x1200 and higher.

This was a PS2 game ported to the PC and 360. Shit really hit the fan.

Lack of any advanced Anti Alliasing or Anisotropic Filtering.

oh no jaggies my immersion

No one is going to pay 2000 for a top of the line comp with killer video cards to play a game stuck in the stone ages in graphics.

If you are spending that much for a computer, you are doing something wrong.

Trust me...

I just tore apart your whiny, crappy little post. Trust is NOT an issue right now.

while most gamers prefer lesser graphics in multiplayer for higher framerates...they want the opposite for singleplayer so they can enjoy and see everything....

Pretty sure PC gamers only care for graphics. That's the only thing that matters, like Crysis and Mark3d.

5) The game has failed so far....

Or how I gave up and learned to enjoy power pointing all things I hate.

337K between all three versions of PSU in a three year period is horrible for a game....

For a niche fucking game competing against WoW and other crap? That was one hell of a run.

More people buy console games than PC games and when PSU was released....it was one of the few RPGs on XBOX360 and PS2.....meaning they had the ability to corner the market....and completely failed.

Power Point Master and Ph. D in Marketing, thank you very much.

Many people have moved on from the total subscribed list......

Shit got boring.

Even a NO-NAME company like ArenaNet when they first made Guild Wars launched and Open Beta in 2005 which had 500K people sign up in that three day weekend alone.

The appealing draw to that lack luster game was PvP, and free to play after you purchase the game. It came out in a time where those things were pretty lacking. It caught into a market that was there for the taking. BUT LOL SEGAC FAILED ROFLMAO LOOK AT MAH ARENANETZ

6) ArenaNet proved that you could have millions of people in a server without having to pay monthly subscription fees. Why should I pay anything to play an online game like PSU when it also offers no real updating and support?

Because most of the game was played peer to peer. Did you honestly think that you were playing on a server whenever you left a hub/town? Actually, from what I understand, the hub/towns are peer to peer now, also.

7) You don't see anymore people making games exclusive for one console...unless of course they come from Japan.......Which is where Phantasy Star Zero and PSP II come into play. Not everyone is going to want to buy both handhelds and the games to continue playing PhantasyStar.....while also paying a monthly fee....

Japanese people are suckers for exclusives, and eat up consoles because they are naive stupid little Japanese. We superior westerns will have none of this! :roll:

Sorry...but Sega shot itself in the foot...

Actually, Sony sort of destroyed the company I once loved.

if a new Phantasy Star existed it would have to be a completely new concept , a completely new universe and actually make the game released on all platforms like non-japanese games tend to be....

Actually, that point is really freakin' moot. PC only games, 360 and PC only games, and PS3 only games. Modern gaming has not come very far in mutli-console gaming. At all. Everything is different, and uses different frameworks. The only one that is similar is 360 and PC.

and have in-game graphic adjustment client side like in PC games...and all log into the same server systems.

I only agree to these if they bring back word select.

Having a company create a server for just Japanese, while only covering and speaking about their own version in press releases, and ignoring those in other versions released by them is by far one of the most racist things Ive seen a game development company do...

A Japanese made game for the Japanese market, marketed towards the Japanese, and brought over to the West does not make it racist.

Hardly selfish.

Everything is not about YOU. Just like this whole board, you have proved that 90% of the users have childish views and terribly ignorant opinions. Welcome to the percentile.

DreXxiN
Nov 14, 2009, 05:45 AM
1920x1200 and higher.

Holy fuck, what games are you playing!? I play on a 46" LCD and I don't get above these resolutions! Are you using a NASA monitor?

The_Brimada
Nov 14, 2009, 12:14 PM
Holy fuck, what games are you playing!? I play on a 46" LCD and I don't get above these resolutions! Are you using a NASA monitor?

Lol.

I do believe there will be another online console Phantasy Star, but in the PSU universe no clue. I'd like it, but honestly don't care either way.

Keilyn
Nov 14, 2009, 10:37 PM
Nice post Zarode...I enjoy that kind of humor, specially since it leads to mental speculation of the original author. It makes it so that in my typing you assume a certain disposition to my personally and cast judgement through your opinion. Self-Infected response that proved more about yourself than your reply and "counter" towards mine....and told me many other things about you. Well done. ^_^

Hi Drexxin:

I play on a Sony Trinitron CRT Monitor. It is the only widescreen CRT monitor..and remains today the main monitor used in projects done by Industrial Light and Magic for its abilities. I've never seen an LCD monitor beat a CRT at anything, but I also do own an LCD monitor that can run 2560 x 1600...You see...I run a lot of PC game tests and many games out there...support 2560 x 1600 as well as the old 2048 x 1536 resolution.

If you have a 46 inch LCD, then you have to check what is its native resolution. PC games on LCDs look best on their native resolutions...Here is a list of games that I play:

Unreal Tournament III //FPS
Crysis + Expansions //FPS
Quake 4 //FPS
Doom 3 + Expansion //FPS

Command and Conquer 3 + Expansion //RTS
Star Wars: Empire at War + Expansion //RTS
Supreme Commander + Expansions //RTS

Role Playing Games:

The Witcher // has my vote for the best singleplayer RPG experience ever made. 13GB game
PSU //The best to PSU is the character animation and original graphics...the worse is another story altogether....but I love how simple it is vs all the other games I play which is why I play it...too bad its 1280 x 720
FFXI // Im retired from that game....Loved Red Mage/Ninja..All Hail Pandemonium and Asura.
Guild Wars //Like PSU, has things I love about the game and things I hate about the game. I love most the balance...I hate most the trading system how most people trade for a "rare skin" of the same weapon....but I love its weekly updates and company does try hard.
Oblivion: I love oblivion though know Morrowind was better. I liked the expansions....and how nice the world looked....Specially the Rat quest "help save my rats in the basement" made me laugh so hard.
Risk Your Life: Still one of my favorite games ever made ;P AKKANs for the win

As far as Old games...I love the original UT, Quake...Doom....the original DeusEx (one of my favorite singleplayers)...and tons of console emulators ^_^

Finally, my lighthearted game I love to play is Civilization 4...Nothing like doing Romans vs Mongolians :P

Most of these games I play at 1920 x 1200 and higher at maximum settings. PSU limits me....insanely :(

2048x1536 and 2560 x 1600 have existed since 2001 - 2002...and even old games that pick up the resolutions...work...I can play Original UT and Quake 3 Arena at maximum resolutions.....I have and it looks really pretty when you use the high resolution textures.

Edit: Almost forgot to add CoD II and CoD 4: Modern Warfare ^_^ (Has my vote for best shooter)

Hrith
Nov 15, 2009, 06:12 AM
Nice post Zarode...I enjoy that kind of humor, specially since it leads to mental speculation of the original author. It makes it so that in my typing you assume a certain disposition to my personally and cast judgement through your opinion. Self-Infected response that proved more about yourself than your reply and "counter" towards mine....and told me many other things about you. Well done.lol...
Gotta love people whose best argument is "no u".
Zarode proved you wrong because your views are incredibly self-centered and immature, learn from others instead of weeping over your hurt ego.

Keilyn
Nov 15, 2009, 08:36 PM
Should I get a drink? Firewater maybe?

Irrelevent

Dignity, price, and virginity of youth come to mind when I think PSU sacrifices.

Stament/Opinion (not right or wrong)

Oh dear god. Here comes the trainwreck.

Irrelevent

It's better than trying to manage cluster fucks of infinite AoE attacks. You get a set amount of targets per hit. Good players learn how to manage it, and the damage output. If it lacks, they don't use it.

Prove to me that infinite AoE exists in a game, also all the TA videos I've seen AoE is managed by simply bringing more of the same AoE...Jabroga anyone? :P

And guess what dozen of games PSU is not?

Irrevelent, doesn't say anything to either effect.

Just like PSO.

Exactly....and just like PSU...you will find most people do not care or talk about it....because they have not heard of it...or they did and thought it sucked.

You chill, with your Doombringer +60.

Not bad assuming that I am a WoW player and targeting me as such. Actually I find WoW to be a problematic game. Its a different story altogether, but thanks for making the assumption...One reason why I replied the way I did before.

Actually, the Japanese prefer this. Sure, they like challenges, but they also prefer how this works. Guess what kind of game PSU is? I'll give you a hint, it ain't western.

You think Japanese who go to school 6 days a week and work 50 - 60 hours on average a week or greater...and compete for every single thing in their nation...prefer also losing such time? Japan has 150 million people and a small number have enough to devote to mass grinding games which is why handhelds are popular....

Most of my Japanese friends play handhelds because they want to ENJOY a game and JUST PLAY without all the heavy grinding

Surprise: They aren't endgame content. This isn't Guild Wars.

You make it look like Guild Wars is the only game with endgame content...But yes....even PSO you were able to go through the story online with your friends..Something PSU does not offer.

Because these are two separate game modes with different balancing mind sets. Duh.

Once again, you act like if I do not know that. But knowing that to balance a FORCE you have to make their techs have less power and ability than a level 1 tech offline is pure BS....That is what I was getting at.

Rare enemy + Exp Modifier jacked way the hell up = cash. Yeah, it sucks, but then again, you are playing a shitty event circuit anyways.

Come again? Yeah...Im sure if I am playing a shitty event circuit...it means everyone is too right? To each their own buddy.

OH NO I'M ALL ALONE I HAVE SEPARATION ANXIETY LIKE A LITTLE PUPPY THAT OR I'M AWFUL AT THIS EASY AS HELL GAME

More assumptions? Example of Flaming Folks...^_^

This was a PS2 game ported to the PC and 360. Shit really hit the fan.

Like I didn't know that from the start....

oh no jaggies my immersion

^_^ irrelevant

If you are spending that much for a computer, you are doing something wrong.

So if I spend under 2000, then I am doing something right? See how that doesn't fit? (Statement proven false due to proving the inverse to be false)

I just tore apart your whiny, crappy little post. Trust is NOT an issue right now.

*smiles* all you managed to tear apart is the proof that you judge people based on assumptions and your arguments are rendered illogically...most statements failing prepositional logic...which is why I originally did not bother posting such a long reply....but you deserved it.

Pretty sure PC gamers only care for graphics. That's the only thing that matters, like Crysis and Mark3d.

Im a PC gamer myself and many games are being designed for Mid-Ranged PCs for better compatability. I know many people who aren't into PC gaming for full graphics...In fact most PC gamers I've come across love playing old games and we talk of things...The same is true in the console world as well...

I know many who still play their old catridge based consoles or play Console Emulators on PC over a lot of what exists now.

Or how I gave up and learned to enjoy power pointing all things I hate.

Irrelevant

For a niche fucking game competing against WoW and other crap? That was one hell of a run.

You actually think and believe that....PSU is competing against WoW? As much as I hate WoW...More people rather pay 15.95 a month to play WoW than people who pay $10 a month (unless they buy the 6 months) to play PSU.

You call 337K...most who do not even play vs the millions subscribed and are willing to pay to play WoW which to me is a messed up game....COMPETITION?

Get real....a few months ago....it was written than the in-game currency of WoW being sold online actually has a higher economy than some third world national currencies...and that is just sad...but shows some power.

Power Point Master and Ph. D in Marketing, thank you very much.

Irrelevant

Shit got boring.

Irrelevant

The appealing draw to that lack luster game was PvP, and free to play after you purchase the game. It came out in a time where those things were pretty lacking. It caught into a market that was there for the taking. BUT LOL SEGAC FAILED ROFLMAO LOOK AT MAH ARENANETZ

Exactly and that is what counts. If you can't give the population what they want, they simply do not buy and move on...If the population says "oh well I will play X until what I want comes" it means once a game comes to meet their expectactions...thats when they leave what they are playing and jump on the new game bandwagon.

ArenanNet was smart...while Sega keeps releasing more of the same thing.

Because most of the game was played peer to peer. Did you honestly think that you were playing on a server whenever you left a hub/town? Actually, from what I understand, the hub/towns are peer to peer now, also.

PSU has the same format...You meet in lobbies, do a mission and enter them in rooms of 4 - 6 players. PSO had the same format as well...Of course GW does it with much greater emphasis and can handle the millions who play that game....

...and for free...

while Sega Charges monthly for a game it doesn't frequently update while fixes come every week for GW...

Japanese people are suckers for exclusives, and eat up consoles because they are naive stupid little Japanese. We superior westerns will have none of this! :roll:

Irrelevant

Actually, Sony sort of destroyed the company I once loved.

Irrelevant

Actually, that point is really freakin' moot. PC only games, 360 and PC only games, and PS3 only games. Modern gaming has not come very far in mutli-console gaming. At all. Everything is different, and uses different frameworks. The only one that is similar is 360 and PC.

For the last 2 years...if you went to www.ebgames.com you can find games that are released on most platforms...and most commercials you see for games these days tend to be cross platform releases...that I've seen...What have you been smoking?

I only agree to these if they bring back word select.

Ditto....overcrowdedness sucks

A Japanese made game for the Japanese market, marketed towards the Japanese, and brought over to the West does not make it racist.

Hardly selfish.

Everything is not about YOU. Just like this whole board, you have proved that 90% of the users have childish views and terribly ignorant opinions. Welcome to the percentile.

No, that is your statement. If you truly believe 90% of the people have childish views enough to say it into the open...specially how you came to generate 90%....which is more interesting....so please.

I am an explicit person..Only when I say it do I mean it.

^_^

Sinue_v2
Nov 17, 2009, 08:57 AM

My sentiments exactly. PSU had it's shot, and Sonic Team blew it... bigtime. While I hope they keep the servers up and giving content to those who still enjoy the game, I am more than ready to move on. PSU may get more sequels on handheld devices like the PSP - but it's long overdue for cleaning of the slate.

Besides, the PS series has always had horrible luck with 3's. PSIII was ill-recieved, as was PSO Ep III. Both are decent games in their own right, but did not sit well with the PS community at large. Phantasy Star Universe is the third series in the franchise and has really put a dent in the series reputation with the public. If trends hold true, then the next Phantasy Star franchise to be released will be epic. Just as Phantasy Star IV & Blue Burst were, and (if impressions translate to quality) PS:P2 seems to be heading.

If PS:P2 turns out to be a really good game, then between it and Phantasy Star Zero - that gives me the confidence to say that Sonic Team DOES still have the means and motivation to produce some excellent titles. It's encouraging, at the very least. It shows that PSU's fuckups were necessary, provided it translates into making a better game in the future. Though I would still like to see them go one step further and bring back some of the classic crew (Naka, Kodama, Yoshida) - in addition to perhaps co-developing it with another well-experienced RPG house... and this time. Definitely farm out the servers/maintenance/security this time to someone who isn't going to roll-back every other week, fry the servers during events, and can deal with troublemakers quickly and efficiently. ... or make it free.

Perhaps they could make a Phantasy Star: Multiverse? Three planets form the seal on the Profound Darkness/Falz. What significance could three dimensions represent? If there was enough interest in the series, it'd be cool to create three entirely separate games which can interconnect. Each would share the same basic gameplay engine, but representing Coral/Ragol, Algol, and Gurhal. Each game would have it's own full length storyline, missions, areas/planets to explore, weapons to collect, online mode, etc. Online, you could run with anybody who had your dimensional version. Algolians with Algolians, Gurhalians with Gurhalians, etc. But... if you buy the other packs as well, it will give you the ability to "jump" dimensions - giving full access to that game's quests, items, storyline, servers, etc, using the same character you raised in your starter set. Thus, allowing players who want that experience to cross dimensions and play/trade/socialize with other dimensions & players to do so.

Since a full and complete standalone game would be included in each dimension, it would justify the $50 initial price. "Packs" that just include supplimentary scripts, textures, movies, etc, for the other dimensions could be sold for $25 each so you don't have to buy/install the whole thing over again separately. Then of course, a bundle with all three dimensions for $100. Having all three would open extra content for "end game +" storylines, missions, weapons, challenges, etc.

Perhaps that would be a good way to "reinvent" Phantasy Star... to do something unique and distinctive (if it hasn't already been done). Of course... each dimension would have to have enough content to consider it a full game worth the price of getting all three (or justifying the one). Perhaps each dimension could be given to a different development house to work on as if a full game of it's own... and give each team proper artistic license (within reason) to accentuate the differences between the dimensions.

No way a project like that would get sufficient funding from Sega given the state of interest in Phantasy Star... but if handled properly, I could see it working. Unfortunately, I'd probably be a PC only thing unless the X360 & PS3 HDDs were utilized.

Keilyn
Nov 19, 2009, 01:41 AM
PSU...while I love the game, I have to admit one thing..

It is the only online roleplaying game I own where I can't take a friend with me through the main story. Instead all I have in PSU are a lot of Free Missions and the Four Rare Missions which have the same theme of things.

That to me is something sad.

Kion
Nov 20, 2009, 04:43 AM
I got tired of lack of content and quit the game, but after really needing my online rpg fix and trying other games, PSU seems to be the only one that doesn`t require having a million windows on the screen. It`s a stylish fun, easy to play game.

I agree Phantasy Star needs anew direction and i will be willing to buy a new game should it come out. I will not buy crappy games to support it. I think that sends the wrong message to ST that they can dish out anything with "phantasy star" on it and expect fans to buy it.

There are three main fixes i would hope for in a new game.

1. No "story mode".
It would be nice if you were actually a hunter or guardian where something was happening and players would have to find clues, communicate on message boards to uncover the story behind the world. I think that would be much better than "here are some boring text based cut scenes you can`t skip, with a bunch of douche bag NPC`s" thrown out saying "it`s there if you want it".

2.No "unlocking content".
I don`t mind the level cap or mission hot spots to keep players together where they can find a party but not being able to access all of the information on the disk is utter bull shit. Do you go to a restaurant sit down get a hamburger and then sit around for hours waiting to pay for french fries one at a time? No, you want the whole freaking thing. New updates and content should come with downloadable updates, or expansions. Players should come back for more stuff they can get into not because they`re starved for content.

3.Update with JP!!!
I could care less if the populations on separate, but updates should come at the same time. I`m not very knowledgeable, but it seems like they can just change the text for the English servers cosmetically and keep everything else underlying the same so that the severs have all of the same content and are on the same update schedule.

As this rate they`ve abandoned the NA servers so much that there`s no return. The core game play is solid, but there`s not enough support to keep people around. Story mode dont i play anyways, so 2 and 3 i think could be applicable to the current PSU.

Powder Keg
Nov 20, 2009, 04:52 AM
I think we need a whole new game (done correctly at launch) to bring any amount of players back that will mean anything. An expansion won't do enough with this game anymore.

AzureBlaze
Nov 21, 2009, 01:34 AM
Sakai seems to agree with us here...

http://seganerds.thekartel.com/blog/2009/11/20/satoshi_sakai_wants_phantasy_star_to_come_back_to_ consoles

Online communication is an important part of all PS's
He wishes it to return to consoles
PSO was fun

A good interview with hints at something in 2010 coming for the anniversary celebration. Let the speculating begin? Anyway, it's a good video for anyone to see.