PDA

View Full Version : Does eternal tower make you dislike this game as much as it did for me?

THOTH
Nov 20, 2009, 08:31 PM
So I was all excited to unlock eternal tower...I started to play it on normal. HOURS of the same enemies being brainless to kill, the same music, same environment...I checked online and realized I was HALF WAY THROUGH. Then I realized THE REWARD FOR BEATING IT ON NORMAL SUCKED.

I immediately quit, and have been struggling to want to even play PS0 because I know I'll have to go through the Eternal tower 3 times just to get my characters on the hardest difficulty. 15 hours of pure, utter monotony? Why am I even bothering getting attached to my characters if I don't have that kind of brain dead dedication?

Screw that noise. Sega REALLY dropped the ball here. It'd be fine if it was half as long and NOT required to unlock the hardest difficulty. Hell, even at the same length NOT REQUIRED. I could see it being fun if I'd never done it before on superhard, being as its a great equipment gathering thing I hear, but as for now... ugh. Just ugh.

Is any one else as upset as I am, or am I just not hardcore enough? Bare in mind I put probably 300 hours into PSO and never had to fight off a moment of "I'm never playing this again"

Randomness
Nov 20, 2009, 08:41 PM
Since when was Eternal Tower involved in difficulty unlocks?

Moniker
Nov 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
Since when was Eternal Tower involved in difficulty unlocks?

Since you had to finish every quest in Hard to unlock Very Hard.

The Tower is great for leveling and grinding for items. Making it a requirement was pretty much bull, though.

BIG OLAF
Nov 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
I found/find it a great distraction if you have the dedication. It's kind of exciting, to me. All the different enemies, which means you never know what you'll get out of a chest. I also like how every 20 floors offers a new outside view, floor coloration, and music. It keeps it a least a little bit fresh. To each his own, I suppose.

However, I do find it completely idiotic that there's no Tower on multiplayer. It would have been the greatest there.

THOTH
Nov 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
I would have enjoyed it if it
1. Had a quick save feature just for this particular dungeon so you weren't required to dedicate your DS slot to PS0 entirely just to get past one stage. Also it wouldn't require being with a charger. Also you could take a break and play as a different character.
2. Obviously not making it required to unlock super hard.
3. Ability to choose your music including tunes unique to the tower.
4. More variety in environments visually.

GHNeko
Nov 20, 2009, 09:16 PM
Tower should not be a requirement. It should be optional and twice as hard with random map generators and random enemy party generators so they'll always be different.

twiztidsinz
Nov 20, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah... I'm on Lv79 now and I'm well past "sick of this" for the tower.

Hagaishi
Nov 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
And im doing it now too! So like how many lvls is it in that thing anyway?? I think its cool that it has that ___ Mother in it. But yea, I think it sucks thats its only for story and not multi:-x

Randomness
Nov 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
100 floors. Thankfully... about 1/3 or so of rooms don't even have to be cleared because the exit isn't barred.

I just finished pounding Falz into the ground on Hard, so I'll probably run Tower tomorrow. (Then mop up the other three quests, 1 Arca, and two Shrine)

If you need all quests, does it count the one unlocked by finding the cake sisters?

BIG OLAF
Nov 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
If you need all quests, does it count the one unlocked by finding the cake sisters?

Yes it does. You have to find the shop/do the quest 3 times; once for each difficulty, if you want the titles (and titles only. The cake quest doesn't count for unlocking Super).

Ceresa
Nov 20, 2009, 09:55 PM
Super Hard = lvl 60 for multiplayer, or the 14 normal single player quests complete on hard. No cake necessary.

Kion
Nov 20, 2009, 11:09 PM
I spent about a week doing eternal. It was so boring i could only take a few floors at a time. When you cringe at the thought of playing a game; it`s generally a sign that it sucks. Eternal should be multiplayer, not a requirement and perhaps shorter.

Keyblade59
Nov 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
lets see, I had gotten the game I think 3-4 days after it was released (or the release day :P) but yeah, I was using my level 30ish HUcast soloing it (normal mode) and I almost hit my head against the wall when I was at room 60 and I searches this and heard it was 101 rooms. It drove me insane so I stopped. I was playing for like..... 8 hours just to get to room 60.....

Gemel
Nov 21, 2009, 12:20 AM
You really only have to do it once on Hard to get to Super Hard.
Do it enough times and you get used to it. xP Too bad like every good item drops there.

sylwyn
Nov 21, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hmmm I recently got my second character to level 70 and can't seem to get SH mode offline. Do I have to do the tower and the quests for him to? >.>

Keyblade59
Nov 21, 2009, 12:32 AM
I believe you must do all the ones on very hard to get super hard. Enjoy dante's inferno but now with 101 levels XD

darkante
Nov 21, 2009, 02:46 AM
Really, what is also silly is that you never know what in the tower drops that elusive mag cell that varies on difficulty.
Since "anyone" can drop it.

I really like myself to get a femini mag cell.

landman
Nov 21, 2009, 04:37 AM
I enjoyed it because you just enter a room and kill enemies, next one! but I enjoy Oneechanbara which is the most repetitive hack and slash in the history of videogames lol

Sala
Nov 21, 2009, 04:42 AM
I hate that you can't take real breaks.... only after boss using trunks and like that but u can't going doing other quest...
But i love it after 1 "wave" that not other respawns comes...

casshem
Nov 21, 2009, 09:17 AM
It kind of sucks, but only because you can't like, save your quest progress. If you could and like take other quests meanwhile, that would be awesome. Last night, I did 43 floors in one sitting and I just woke up right now with my DS in my hands (hooray for chargers lol ^^)

HUnters4ever
Nov 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
I agree that the tower is one of the worst parts of Phantasy Star Zero, if not the worst part.

However, there are some alright things about it.

1) Great experience and items
2) It's easy if you can find a way to kill all enemies at once (I.E. I have a HUcast that has a double saber that has the cyclone spin for a photon art. I simply charge it up while running to the enemies and then, 1 spin usually does them all in... on normal anyway)
3) You are not required to fight in every single room (only those that have a red barricade up when you enter)
4) You only have to beat it once per difficulty per DS. When I started a second character, I had 65 item spots, which means that I shouldn't have to do it on Nornal because it has said that I have already beaten it.
5) The DS has sleep mode. You don't have to do it for 5 hours straight (and I would definity not recommend it).

In conclusion though, the tower sucks major ass, but no, it has not made me want to stop playing the game.

casshem
Nov 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
Floor 81 now. I kind of feel like I'm going to make it...hope some freak accident doesn't happen and my ds turns off or my game card pops out ^^;

landman
Nov 21, 2009, 02:17 PM
You have already reached the stratosphere then? I was very exited at that point xD

casshem
Nov 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
Wooo! I just got hard mode, i did like two hard mode missions, was level 33 when i started and now im level 53 and beat hard mode eternal tower! I'ma take a break...haha

Bearissoslow
Nov 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
I don't hate Tower. Experience + Rares from the Mothers make it worthwhile. I just play music in the background or something like that.

Honestly, it's not that bad, at all.

Keyblade59
Nov 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
It's tough, but rewarding with stuff and XP, I'm doing it on hard right now, and got the stormer rare saber, which is helping me throughout htis whole around.

Moniker
Nov 21, 2009, 04:57 PM
I actually just put a movie or something in while I'm playing through it. Tower runs have become more of a zen experience.

Keyblade59
Nov 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
I do zone out alot when I'm playing it, and I'm actually trying to do it on hard right now, I'm on level 28, and getting a few interesting drops like H10 Missouri, and some hero slot units.

AVHero
Nov 21, 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the tower is the best mindless killing implemented. The enemies are slightly easier than in the world on that difficulty, you don't have to wait for the second group to spawn, and every 10 floors you have a chance to find some neat things you can't find elsewhere.

I admit the first play through on Hard was painful, because I knew I HAD to do it to unlock Super, but once you get through that, its nothing from then on. And the last floor is so rewarding that first time you do it (and every subsequent time, but you get the OMG factor the first time).

You'll get over it. If you aren't that into PS0, then you aren't "hardcore" enough as you put it, and you'll stop playing. But you got decent play time out of it for 35 bucks anyway, so be happy. There are plenty of other games that cost more and offer less than PS0.

Keyblade59
Nov 21, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have been playing PSO for 3-4yrs, so I'm used to the difficulty in this game, but right now, I'm at the 30th floor on hard mode, and I have just met a force mother, looks like I'm gonna need some scape dolls >.>