PDA

View Full Version : GGC II coming!!

Tianna
Nov 24, 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm am surprised that noone posted this already. Here is link from official forums:

http://forums.sega.com/forumdisplay.php?f=273

fay
Nov 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
I'm looking for a team to join if possible. I have never done a TA before though so i'm still a newbie at it. Would need some advice on it :)

Tianna
Nov 24, 2009, 07:43 AM
I have a team that runs TA but this one is going to be a bit of a challenge. Read the rules carefully. The 1 scape doll and no armor rule will be quite fun...lol

Volcompat321
Nov 24, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'll be resubbing somehow for this!
:D I'll snag my friends debit card lol.

Keilyn
Nov 24, 2009, 08:05 AM
If my friend are up to it, I'll field a team myself...I love some of the challenges...But I won't enter a tournament unless the prize is announced before hand...People enter tournaments to WIN, and if the prize is shiitty, its not worth entering.

I'm already in a tournament in another game where ending in the final gives you a prize from money, to technology to heavy in-game items....and in real tournaments like most of us...We play to WIN! ^_^

DreXxiN
Nov 24, 2009, 08:20 AM
Not even worth resubbing..there'll be no competition aside from one team..and my team lives all across the globe so not much time to practice.

Good luck to everyone participating.

Criss
Nov 24, 2009, 10:54 AM
Just looked at the rules... and I'm kinda surprised that there's nothing about hybrid classes. Especially since we didn't get the Supplemental Update and those classes are still mostly underpowered.

What about guntechers? Would a cast/beast GT count as that beast/cast techer challenge?

I'd participate for fun, but some of those rules are... silly. And I don't think I could round up enough of my remaining friends to make up a team.

Squirrel3D
Nov 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
Keh....I'm not being apart of this. Just another competition to boost egos and brag about how better they are.

Tianna
Nov 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
Just looked at the rules... and I'm kinda surprised that there's nothing about hybrid classes. Especially since we didn't get the Supplemental Update and those classes are still mostly underpowered.

What about guntechers? Would a cast/beast GT count as that beast/cast techer challenge?

I'd participate for fun, but some of those rules are... silly. And I don't think I could round up enough of my remaining friends to make up a team.

It seems there alot of questions that need to be answered and if I see it I will post it here.

Keh....I'm not being apart of this. Just another competition to boost egos and brag about how better they are.

Maybe there are some that this would be true but I just like the fun and challenge with good friends.

Keilyn
Nov 24, 2009, 01:16 PM
My problem with Time Attacks in PSU are that in the many videos that I've watched, the general mix of the scheme behind a map is the same thing.

All the TA videos always show a cast group mostly comprised of Fighmasters Spamming Jabroga, Majarra, Tornado Dance the majority of the time (and some secondaries)...All the videos are "Spot-Kill" TA forms. IF I don't see that...I tend to see 4 masterforces blowing everything up...

Where I come from...TA ability is about your skills linked with everything, but since every player in the game can get a max stat weapon...it becomes about skill....and since each area is different, the tactics are widely different....You can literally see 10 different TA videos of an Area...all with different Teams using Different Tactics..

The other thing that is concerning too is that PSU has enemies that are "Resistant" and in such forms will have 50% resistances. Not all the maps are known for the runs and players must remain the same party from beginning to end. It means if you have a TA team of fighmasters and a TA team of Forces...and you are given a map where say...most of the enemies are Striking Resistant like a bot map....where they are weak to techs...

A bias is will exist from the start that will cripple groups...of course if you form an "overall best" TA group...that is also against typical TA group operation because true TA groups target the maps themselves....and prepare for them and then annihilate them...

They don't hold back anything....

so carrying the same TA group through say....5 - 10 different maps may be cool for something "overall" but no real TA group in practice will just say "Lets kill 10 maps where we can annihilate 2 of them...and get slowed due to our equips and setup....for the hell of it"

They will set up for each map and each run...which is why a tournament like this while cool....really doesnt represent what TAing is about.

I may not be a main TAer in PSU...but I've been a TAer in all other games Ive played since 2002......and PSU is too limiting for me to be of heavy interest in heavy TAing here.

str898mustang
Nov 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
lol goodluck trying to beat Rau's and Bobby's team.

They just did Rainbow Beast S3 in 5min. (1 FM, 1 GM, 1 PT, 1 AT; 3 Cast, 1 Newman)

DreXxiN
Nov 24, 2009, 02:21 PM
Exactly. My team is all over the globe so practicing is almost futile, let alone the lag we get loading in every area. If there was a balance for these things, I'd totally be more interested.

LanCow13
Nov 24, 2009, 04:29 PM
lol no point im ps2 and i seen bobby and rau videos and actually raced them at alpals birthday event i will pass on this event

Ruru
Nov 24, 2009, 04:38 PM
On PS2 here as well so TA'ing is out for me.

I wouldn't want to put my team through the horrors of my slow loading and lag on a mission where speed means everything.

LanCow13
Nov 24, 2009, 07:26 PM
nah i will participate F it im VANDAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deragonite
Nov 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hello everyone, I really hope the fact that Bobby and I are participating does not affect any of your decisions to participate.

Remember, there is more than just 1st place. Any ranking in the GGC is better than none. If not to win then participate just for the fun. Our servers really need people to participate in these events.

Not to mention it certainly is not written in stone that any team will win...

Crysteon
Nov 24, 2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know if there are any restrictions about using certain PAs (I haven't seen any), but if there were...I would give it a chance to this event.

The reason this kind of event exist is to demonstrate how well you perform with your team/friends; it's all about synchronization, not spamming TD, Jabroga, Traps and Techs like mad. I'm not a TAer myself, because I don't have a super cool PC to run this game, and because I don't see the point to spoil my fun running a map endlessly just to get an "appealing" record time that could raise my ego.

Good luck for the ones who will participate on this...I'll pass.

DreXxiN
Nov 24, 2009, 11:04 PM
Hello everyone, I really hope the fact that Bobby and I are participating does not affect any of your decisions to participate.

Remember, there is more than just 1st place. Any ranking in the GGC is better than none. If not to win then participate just for the fun. Our servers really need people to participate in these events.

Not to mention it certainly is not written in stone that any team will win...

C'mon, Rau.

Modesty isn't bringing you anywhere. :P

Well, if Arika wants to play and I somehow have money to resub and we can get a PT, I'm sure I can snag Vatsu back on PSU since I'm teaming up with him on BB, but the chances are slim.

pikachief
Nov 27, 2009, 03:28 PM
i'll be willing to hop back into PSU for this! :D if someone wants a pretty good GM or FM my GT is PIKA CHIEF :D

I am a better GM than a FM tho :)

SuperRygar
Nov 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
I never shared the interest to do anything PvP in a MMO

Arika
Nov 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
C'mon, Rau.

Modesty isn't bringing you anywhere. :P

Well, if Arika wants to play and I somehow have money to resub and we can get a PT, I'm sure I can snag Vatsu back on PSU since I'm teaming up with him on BB, but the chances are slim.

I already told ya, that if you want to do this, then i will play too. :p

since I don't want to remake the new team. and the only aim if I would do this race is to rematch with the Wolfy team that won our team because I couldn't participate on the match.
I want to see how would it turn out if our team had full strength at that time. This could be huge different, since if I was there, I could change a lot in strategy run too.

Also, what a coincidence, because my FESTA event 2nd year is just starting now too :p (check my sig or Art forum thread)

Kinako78
Dec 16, 2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe there are some that this would be true but I just like the fun and challenge with good friends.

This.

I'll have to go review the rules, but if anybody wants a level 157 Human Acrotecher level 20, feel free to PM me. :)

ashley50
Dec 16, 2009, 03:22 PM
i wonder how many still actually plays...

DreXxiN
Dec 16, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the input Rygar, we will tally that down.

Volcompat321
Dec 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
I still want to play.
I'm trying my hardest to re-sub before we cant make anymore teams.
:(
Most likely, the teams will have already been made by the time I try to re-sub. :(

Shinko
Dec 17, 2009, 06:23 AM
Nah I'm good on this. One I don't care for TA stuff and two there's no good prizes.

Maybe if the rewards was good.... a neutral Ragan-Ragan really....
People say it not all about the rewards but to me it is all about the rewards. If I'm not getting nothing out of it (That's worth something) there no point in me doing it. At least that how I feel.

Volcompat321
Dec 17, 2009, 06:30 AM
Guess hanging out with good people, amazing people, actually (Tianna, DreX, to name a couple)means nothing to you, then fine.

It's more about good fun, and a change to PSU.
(Not permanent, obviously).
People had a lot of fun with this last year, including myself.
If you cant understand that, then maybe you shouldn't have the right to enjoy it.
Not a huge deal though, it's obviously not for everyone.

Arika
Dec 17, 2009, 06:58 AM
the reward in my event is better :wacko:

Shinko
Dec 17, 2009, 07:32 AM
I understand to some ppl just doing this with friends is fun. That's why I said that's how "I" feel about it. I personally don't think TA's are fun but to each his own. The only reason I'll do a TA is for the rewards.

Volcompat321
Dec 17, 2009, 07:35 AM
But I think you're missing the point.
It's not about TA. Sure, you want to get done the fastest, but it's more for people to get to know others, or to practice, "hang out", have fun, whatever else you want.
It's about a change in pace to the usual "kill shit and finish fast" routine everyone's so used to.

Keilyn
Dec 17, 2009, 07:59 AM
Guess hanging out with good people, amazing people, actually (Tianna, DreX, to name a couple)means nothing to you, then fine.

It's more about good fun, and a change to PSU.
(Not permanent, obviously).
People had a lot of fun with this last year, including myself.
If you cant understand that, then maybe you shouldn't have the right to enjoy it.
Not a huge deal though, it's obviously not for everyone.

And if you can't understand that a tournament is a competition..and if that is all SEGA can offer for a prize to a tournament...then it shows just how much they don't care about anyone...Hell...I could host a much better TA tournament if I gave a crap about it. ^_^

But I think you're missing the point.
It's not about TA. Sure, you want to get done the fastest, but it's more for people to get to know others, or to practice, "hang out", have fun, whatever else you want.
It's about a change in pace to the usual "kill shit and finish fast" routine everyone's so used to.

No...It IS about TA..The tournament is about creating TA teams to compete against each other. Its not a "friendly hangout" as much as it is teams competing to be the best in the tournament.

If you want to meet people, you do it through forums...and from running into players in the game..Open up a dialogue and play together...Simple as that. ^_^

Volcompat321
Dec 17, 2009, 08:07 AM
You also don't get it, huh?
Obviously SEGA doesn't care to do anything else in this game, or it would have been done. (but let's not start wars with this. I still do love the game and SEGA).
It's to get the community together.
Look at the amount of attention it's getting. You know why?
BECAUSE THE COMMUNITY IS HELPING OUT WITH IT, creating rules(well, giving suggestions), everyone HELPING each other with teams and getting to level cap.

This event has done more for the community already than SEGA has done in a long time, and it's not even started.

Sure, there's prizes, sure there's rewards, sure it technically is a competition.
But it's all about getting everyone together for some good ole fashion fun.

Get over yourself. Both of ya.

milranduil
Dec 17, 2009, 08:14 AM
Okay honestly? You're both right sheesh. There is a degree of competition because it is after all a TA tournament, but it's also to bring the community together in such a fashion that can be enjoyable to a large amount of people that are left still. No need to argue and ruin the fun seriously lol. They're both valid reasons for the GGCII.

Shinko
Dec 17, 2009, 08:22 AM
One, that's what a mmog pose to do period. The fact that PSU need events like these to do that is sad. However if it's helping in any way it's good i suppose.

And as the change in pace goes... This GGC isn't going to change "kill shit and finish fast routine" you speak of. If anything this event promotes that.

Actually I say about only 20% of the population will even join in this event... if that much

But i'm not knock you or anyone who enjoy and plays it just for fun. The fact is for me TA isn't fun. With good friends or not

Volcompat321
Dec 17, 2009, 08:25 AM
Eh, Bobby, you're right, and honestly, I don't care that much about how people look at it.
I think I came off looking a bit too intense.

I guess I just look at the big picture differently.

Shinko, I still don't think you get what I'm saying, but it's okay.

DUN
Dec 17, 2009, 08:28 AM
I don't know any of you but if your on 360 im a lvl 150 cast 20 gunmaster at your service:]

Keilyn
Dec 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
You also don't get it, huh?
Obviously SEGA doesn't care to do anything else in this game, or it would have been done.

Sega has done things on PSU Japan or did you forget about the update information people post about? Updates have been decent lately.

(but let's not start wars with this. I still do love the game and SEGA).

If having a different view is your idea or borderline war, perhaps your maturity should come into question...

It's to get the community together.

No, its to make money. Sega knows people subscribe during events and leave outside of events...So they put the events so they can make money. Companies/Corporations exist to make money and fulfill their own interest...

Look at the amount of attention it's getting. You know why?

What attention? Its a forum that has 700 - 800 posts...most by the same 20 - 40 people...If you play a decently populated game with an event...and look at an event forum, there are 1000s of posts in the first 24 hours alone....

Sorry, but not everyone is a TAer and I already have friends who claim if the current trend is to make events centered around TAing (like Mag+ and GGC) they are canceling their accounts for being forced to play a certain way to be rewarded...

I don't mind TAing as I've been getting into it heavily in this game to continue having fun and not unsubscribe myself from this game....but all this has done is split the community between TAers and Non-TAers...and that is a bad thing.

BECAUSE THE COMMUNITY IS HELPING OUT WITH IT, creating rules(well, giving suggestions), everyone HELPING each other with teams and getting to level cap.

You mean the TA community. The non-TA community doesn't give a damn about GGC and some TAers I know off don't care due to the prizes being weak and lame....And sorry..a company changing the rules four to five times to a tournament proves they have administration issues...

...So its not "everyone" unless you believe non-TAers aren't part of the community and shouldn't exist....and the majority of posts were complaints because players and groups stood to lose their edges by the restrictions placed in the beginning.

This event has done more for the community already than SEGA has done in a long time, and it's not even started.

Yeah, that is what worries me...and to reflect what it has done...I hardly see people in-game talking about it and there are few teams playing for it and only one thread about this in this forum...yeah..Lots its doing for the community.

If this is what you mean by "doing a lot for the community" then I am not impressed. ^^

Sure, there's prizes, sure there's rewards, sure it technically is a competition.

Its not TECHNICALLY a competition...IT IS A COMPETITION. Its called GGC for a reason and event on opening post says:

We are bringing back last year’s GM-sponsored Great Gurhalian Cup, a Time Attack Tournament to determine the best of the best. Teams comprised of FOUR players will race head-to-head to compete for glory, bragging rites, and of course, loot!

So where does the Technical part come in?

But it's all about getting everyone together for some good ole fashion fun.

No, its about getting people resubscribed so Sega can make Quarterly Sales....Which is what every major company is doing now. You think of all the projects Sega has going for itself currently they are going to say in Sega of Japan "Lets take a break from everything to go to Sega of America and completely focus on PSU's low population and give them a tournament?"

Of course not...they are aggressively competing with the rest of the world in their area :P

Get over yourself. Both of ya.

I'm not the one on a high horse...There are numerous tournaments in different popular games out there...so most game companies are responding by giving winter events or tournaments to their MMOs..

RubyEclipse
Dec 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not the one on a high horse...
Actually, I think you are.

Everyone knows that SEGA is a business, but the moment you claimed to know the reasoning and the thoughts behind this tournament, you assumed a dangerously large amount of information.

Besides being blatantly wrong, your assumptions do not translate to fact - so if there was ever a question about why we're hosting this tournament, let's clear it up right here and now.

The original GGC was created to give the Western Phantasy Star Community something exclusive that they had never been given before. Something that not even the Japanese servers had received. The goal was to bring our community together for a huge event, to encourage building teamwork, and, just as importantly, to offer something fun for our players.

The event wasn't created by some bigwig businessman looking to milk out subscriptions. It was created by someone who was a player in the online PS Community for almost eight years before going to work at SEGA. Someone who saw the content delivery schedules, including the gaps, and decided that whatever could be done to help fill those in and offer more content for the players, the better. The second GGC, which is now Edward's project with only a little bit of sideline suggestions from my end, was created for exactly the same reasons.

We do events like this because our GM team legitimately cares about this community, and we want to see it grow and succeed. There's no simpler way to put it.

Happy Holidays guys, and thank you to everyone who is supporting and offering their opinions on how to make this tournament our best yet. :)

Tyreek
Dec 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hey Ruby, just to let you know, I like the fact that you made an exclusive weapon (Neutral Ragan-Ragan) part of the prize winnings. Perhaps you can talk to the higher ups about doing that again later in the future with other prizes.

Volcompat321
Dec 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Keilyn, I didn't read that, and I wont.
Ruby, I effffffin love you.

Okay, I lied, I did read it.
The only thing I will respond to is-
I'm in no way shape or form a TAer, and I will not claim to be.
I took part in last years GGC(didn't get far, but I still tried), and I would love to join this one, but I'm currently not subscribed.
I'm not subscribed due to debit/credit/gift card issues. (and the lack of funds).
I love love love love to join this year. I hope I can resub(forever!) when I get a card that works.
Thank you, come again.

DragonStriker
Dec 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Ruby, just to let you know, I like the fact that you made an exclusive weapon (Neutral Ragan-Ragan) part of the prize winnings. Perhaps you can talk to the higher ups about doing that again later in the future with other prizes.

Ragan-Ragans are not exclusive and have been out for months. Nor is the neutral version of this weapon exclusive.

Tianna
Dec 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Good prizes, bad prizes... TAers, Non-TAers...part community, whole community...competition, for fun...all this really doesn't matter and I'm almost sorry I posted this. The truth is I WILL have fun whether we place in finals or lose, I really don't care. I was posting it NOT to start petty rivalries but to let people know if they weren't on the official forums and I really hope it helps people have a little fun for whatever reasons.

As a side note TYVM Ruby for clearing that up about the view of this GGC as well as the last and the reasoning behind it from the GM's view.

God bless and Merry Christmas....blah blah blah

DUN
Dec 18, 2009, 11:32 AM
is it to late for me to get a team i just came back:/
im on the 360

Tianna
Dec 18, 2009, 11:36 AM
no it isn't too late. Go to official Sega PSU forums to sign up

Tyreek
Dec 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Ragan-Ragans are not exclusive and have been out for months. Nor is the neutral version of this weapon exclusive.

DragonStriker, I know they've been out for months I have seen them drop before. I'm only saying I liked the idea that they're giving out the neutral version, since last I checked, Ragan-Ragan was only dark correct? Maybe next time the do something like this they can make something new, like I dunno... An ice element Dagger of Serafi? That's only a suggestion though.

Deragonite
Dec 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
Here's my 2-cents on this whole ordeal:

The GGCII is not a TA. It's a race with rules. TA'ing and racing are two totally different things.

While I may say that I am fairly good at TA'ing, I am not very good at racing.

TA'ing is about persistance. Some may call it "luck", but if you try 100 times you're very likely to have a good run.

Racing is a whole different sport. I might say it's "luck" but that is because I don't understand racing very well.

Regardless, the GGCII is not a scandal or anything of that sort. Had the creator of the GGCII been someone who wasn't associated with SEGA, I doubt it would have been criticized so heavily.

DragonStriker, I know they've been out for months I have seen them drop before. I'm only saying I liked the idea that they're giving out the neutral version, since last I checked, Ragan-Ragan was only dark correct? Maybe next time the do something like this they can make something new, like I dunno... An ice element Dagger of Serafi? That's only a suggestion though.

They can be any element. There was a(n) 1X% Ice one in shops for awhile and I found a 16% dark one and sold it. It is safe to assume that neutral ones can drop.

DragonStriker
Dec 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
Yes, correct and there's a couple on 360 side that are neutral. And to go along with Deragonite's post it's not that it's a SEGA employee who's hosting it. It's the fact countless people pressured SEGA into hosting the GGC via messages and posts. And they didn't think to ask the community about the rules and prizes. Which is in itself fine but they have no reason to be upset when we complain because it all wouldn't have happened had they asked the community what we wanted for prizes. And I can assure anyone reading a neutral Double Saber would not be anything worth having. The same can be said of a King's chair, it would have been very cool had they given us some kind of choice. Anyways races are indeed different but luckily each team will have the same map. So I would say it's pretty much Time Attacking because you get to practice as a team on the same map so "persistance" would indeed be benefitial. There's still one problem with the GGC which SEGA refuses to adress and that's how the matchups will be decided. As seen in the last GGC on both sides good teams can face up in the first round. So as stated by Deragonite some championship caliber teams could be eliminated by luck. Last year the first round was Awoken Serpent perhaps the most luck based boss in the game and half the competitors were eliminated by this luck. As it won't make a huge difference on the ps2/pc side due to the small amount of teams. It's going to be very sad to see the matchups if it's not seeded. And another thing that will cause drama is that since there isn't 32 teams signed up on either server some teams will get byes and there's some drama for you.

Max B
Jan 8, 2010, 03:46 AM
I love how Edward as had these amazing Ragan-ragans since Shred the Darkness lmao Amazing right lol
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/mdigfjasdg/3526505898_379b264d25.jpg

ChibiBecca
Jan 8, 2010, 09:27 AM
there'd be little point in me running this, the PC players in any party usually have cleared the first room and are onto the second by the time my weapons and the enemies load. i'd just hold them back. ^^;
but it does sound fun if you've got a party of friends and high enough PAs to smash through.