PDA

View Full Version : Using Shields

RyanDanger
Dec 2, 2009, 12:17 PM
Who uses them? The only real benefit I can see is the boosted elemental occurrence.

Itchee
Dec 2, 2009, 12:21 PM
It seems to be of some use for blocking otherwise difficult to dodge boss attacks. For example, i was playing with a japanese player the other day who would switch to a shield to block Reyburn's spiral charge, rather than attempting to roll out of the way.

Zephton
Dec 2, 2009, 12:23 PM
It seems to be of some use for blocking otherwise difficult to dodge boss attacks. For example, i was playing with a japanese player the other day who would switch to a shield to block Reyburn's spiral charge, rather than attempting to roll out of the way.

I never thought about using it for Reyburn. Will definitely try on my HUnewm.

I guess it could be useful as well for when Humilias splits and is invincible.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Dec 2, 2009, 12:27 PM
Another nice thing about them is the Def boost you get from equiping them. Also they hit multiple targets unlinke most wepons in the game.

Zephton
Dec 2, 2009, 12:30 PM
Also they hit multiple targets unlinke most wepons in the game.

Really... I never knew lol.

GHNeko
Dec 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
They're basically cheat sheets against bosses that you're too lazy to try and dodge their attacks with.

That's it really.

sylwyn
Dec 2, 2009, 12:44 PM
Well I play with my siblings mostly and I tell them how to beat a boss by following my tactics hehe. Sometimes I bust out my emeraldfield and spam barrier shift while they kill the boss, it's kinda fun when no one take any damage. :-D

Wash
Dec 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
I saw actually saw a FOmar using a shield on Mother Trinity. Even though I was healing (which made his use of the shield purely obsolete/selfish, doing very little damage and not healing), I thought (as a healer/support) it really wouldn't be that bad of an idea to pack a shield for tough bosses (especially as a FOmarl or FOnewrl).

Aziel
Dec 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
Having someone designated as barrier shift spammer in a party is pretty ridiculous for some bosses. You don't have to worry about taking any damage...at all.
lol

GHNeko
Dec 2, 2009, 02:00 PM
The only characters that are able to Barrier Shift Tank are FOs because they're the only ones who have a large enough PP Pool to constantly spam the fuck out of the PA throughout the whole entire battle.

<_>

OP CLASSSSSSSS IS OOPPP

Niered
Dec 2, 2009, 02:04 PM
I love shields on my HUnewhearl. Her low Def is easily made up for its increase in Def, and the block ability is super nice. Bull Smash is a pretty nice PA too.

Zephton
Dec 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm really interested in effectively using a shield with my HUnewm. It's a playstyle I'm quite interested in but I'm not entirely sure how to do it properly... a little advice?

GHNeko
Dec 2, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'm really interested in effectively using a shield with my HUnewm. It's a playstyle I'm quite interested in but I'm not entirely sure how to do it properly... a little advice?

For one, you'll need quick fingers.
For two, using a shield alone is NOT recommended unless you're a FO, and even then. Still no.

If you're gonna carry around a shield to use constantly, try to keep your weapon section in your item list as clean as possible. Down to a minimum of 2 weapons. Your shield and your main weapon for the quickest possible switching.

Make R+Start your lover.

---

I stress speed because the moments you'll truely need a shield and barrier shift are the moments where slow fingers get you killed or hurt really badly and stuck in the menu because you can't move while in menu.

If you're gonna carry a shield around everyone, you can let up on DFP for your mag/mat/slot build, but realize that by doing this you put more importance in your shield because you're sacrifcing a bit of DFP for the sake of ultimate defense when you have a shield equipped.

You dont have to, but considering a shield + barrier shift is like the absolute, impenetrable defense in PSZ, there is no point in focusing alot in DFP.

Maybe put some points for mag/mats/slots in ATP for the sake of compensating for the shield terribad ATP.

Don't you DARE touch ATA though. <_>

---

There. Some tips from me. Take it with a grain of salt or carry it as if it was a bible. Up to you.