PDA

View Full Version : My RAcast is becoming disappointing.

Itchee
Dec 3, 2009, 04:34 PM
As someone who has played an RAcast since PSO was first released...im not one to really play other classes....they simply dont do anything for me. I tinkered around with a few others in PSU, but always came back to my good ol CAST gunslinger. Unfortunately, as much as I like PSZ, my RAcast feels increasingly boring and inadequate when compared to hunters and the completely OP forces. The damage put out is lackluster at best and it seems the only stats that i have a legup on is ATA...which isnt used to its potential whatsoever. Theres no weapons that use this as a requirement and there are no high level enemies that require an abundance of ATA to deal with. At least in PSU, i could rely on my trusty rifles to apply status effects consistantly. Ive never felt like I needed techs with the addition of traps...but even traps in PSZ are lame and only serve to take up a sorely needed slot on my action bar. I have zero need for heal traps as an auto-healing, abundance of 'mates having, ranged dmg dealer.
I dunno...ive been playing PSZ on and off today and im just left feeling "meh".

TUSCAN
Dec 3, 2009, 05:08 PM
I ran into the same problem when I first played the JP version. When a RAcast gets into SH for the first time it is usually way underpowered compared to hard mode. The only way around it is to switch to another character and try to find better weapons for your ranger. I tend to get more power materials and ranger weapons with my FOnewm anyway, so I find there is a benefit to playing the other characters. I haven't gotten any uber ranger weapons yet, but I'm hoping to find some awesome mech guns because they are really fun to shoot (and strong, too)!

Niered
Dec 3, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hrm. I'm not really having this problem itchee. I guess my only issue with my RAcast is that Traps could have made us a much more interesting class, but traps are nerfed to hell and back, making that a pointless endeavour.

sylwyn
Dec 3, 2009, 05:30 PM
I wish traps weren't consumables like in PSO :-(

Niered
Dec 3, 2009, 05:34 PM
Indeed. I dont see why they have to be seperate. Restocking on them alone is half the reason I dont use them. Even if they werent as good as PSO, if we just recharged them after a mission I'd be okay with that.

Trina
Dec 3, 2009, 06:14 PM
It's fine. Just don't be using guns on areas were every monster has 9999999999% ranged resist (parusux)

ARASHIKAGE
Dec 3, 2009, 06:25 PM
I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. To some it up in one word:
SHOTGUN (or the lack of).

I didn't pick a ranger class to use Gunblades... The Laser is a poor substitute and the only other area of effect is in PAs. Don't get me wrong, Flame Hit and Earth Bullet are fun PAs... but it makes me feel like a force doing Rafoie.

PSO/PSU vets. will always dissect the new installments of their beloved series and we will continue to do it. For now I'm happy that this game delivers in other big ways.

Itchee
Dec 3, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hrm. I'm not really having this problem itchee. I guess my only issue with my RAcast is that Traps could have made us a much more interesting class, but traps are nerfed to hell and back, making that a pointless endeavour.

Well, perhaps im just having an off-day.

I do hope noone is suggesting that in terms of sheer damage output, the absolute top-tier best weapons in the game for rangers make that much of a difference. I dont have shit gear by any means (if i had to describe them, id probably say i have the 2nd best guns in the game simply because thats all thats dropped for me), most have max grinds, and many have the best possible element lvls for the gun type and very good photon percentages. Also, i cant see how lvling another 15-20 lvls is going to increase my dmg substantially to compete with hunters, and god forbid, forces. I can already handle everything in SH fine...it just takes 3 times as long to solo than the other classes (that doesnt really help how i currently feel about the class).

I dont really mean to complain, and this is certainly out of character for me to piss and moan about the ranger class in a PS game, but i just see a rather large balance issue...especially when you have direct OP changes for another class (*cough-Forces*). I can appreciate what youre saying Tuscan, but then id be breaking my cardinal rule of playing RAcast only (I love CASTs and guns :P)

Anyway, this is getting long...I suppose I posted all this to begin with to see if anyone was seeing something that I wasnt with the rangers in PSZ...

It's fine. Just don't be using guns on areas were every monster has 9999999999% ranged resist (parusux)

I do use melee weapons for range resist mobs. 2 problems with that however:
1. Im now playing as a gimped HUcast mostly because RAcast does not have an equivalent amount of ATP to make that work....even so with that being said, I generally do more dmg ANYWAY with melee weapons when compared to ranged. I personally feel some of the ranged weapons need a small dmg boost.
2. I like playing ranged dmg dealers. Always have, always will...

SHOTGUN (or the lack of).

I didn't pick a ranger class to use Gunblades... The Laser is a poor substitute and the only other area of effect is in PAs. Don't get me wrong, Flame Hit and Earth Bullet are fun PAs... but it makes me feel like a force doing Rafoie.

PSO/PSU vets. will always dissect the new installments of their beloved series and we will continue to do it. For now I'm happy that this game delivers in other big ways.

I agree on shotguns. Also, the laser cannon has taken a big step back from where it is in PSU, I think due to the lack of enemies that clump together and its piss-poor rate of fire. I think rangers at the very least could use a rate of fire increase similar to the master classes in PSU to counter the dmg decrease. Hell, id kill for a god/battle or two like I had so many years ago...

Also(and this is somewhat off-topic...but sorta not), why are there so many weapon types that all classes can use in some way? Granted, many are not top-tier (but many are quite good). I feel it muddies the waters quite a bit when a hunter can use a rifle or a ranger can use twin sabers.

Case in point: Why can rangers and forces use Clair Doubles?

Akaimizu
Dec 3, 2009, 07:29 PM
There is some cross contamination, though it sometimes is specific to which class and race. Like how various Mech Guns are usable by Human Forces but not Newman ones. Or a specific ranger weapon usable by Cast Hunter only.

For me, it seems I kind of wish the high damage Ranger weapons were Ranger only; which would keep them as the top gunners. Some are saying that the hunter ATP makes the hunters a step above Rangers due to them getting too many good Ranger weapons. Something that would be easily solved by keeping the high end ranger weapons out of hunter hands. I think this is the case more for Cast Hunters, as it seem they have higher Ranger weapon access.

THOTH
Dec 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah....rangers are pretty boring this time around, I noticed that immediately. I guess you can put some sabers and stuff on them, but I'm halfway considering deleting mine eventually and making a freaky evasion HUnewearl or something.

Google
Dec 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
I was going to make a RAcast but then decided to create a HUcast after I compared their stats. I've been using my HUcast as a ranger as they can equip some good mech guns and so far it's been my favourite character. I'm starting to prefer forces though.

Dragwind
Dec 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
I haven't had any real problems with my RAcast. I primarily use mechs though, and the occasional gunblade, spear, and handgun for certain PAs. Spamming the right PA in the right situation can make all the difference.

ZetsumeiSan
Dec 4, 2009, 01:00 AM
With the exception of PSU, rangers could be considered a boring class. My main on PSU was an RAcast and he was GREAT! Really fun class to play. You complain that forces are overpowered but you fail to understand that they always have been the more powerful class. PSU may be the exception in some cases. The class seemed to be more balanced though your equipment is what set you apart from others.

PSZ is set up a lot like PSO. FOnewearl still makes best force in my opinion. HUcast can easily dish out more damage than other races as well as survive the longest with it's higher defense and HP. I didn't take too much to rangers in PSO. Always stuck with a force or a hunter. As far as doing damage force beats hunter while ranger comes in last. However, rangers do get the benefit of being able to use the best mech guns in this game. Mech guns have become a standard equip. I wish they kept the shotty instead of adding laser cannons. Those just seem kinda useless. Anyway...rangers do have the potential to be good characters.

Mike
Dec 4, 2009, 01:07 AM
Are you kidding? I loved playing my original RAcaseal in PSO and love playing the RAcaseal in my Youtube videos. Boring isn't the word for it. The lack of shotguns, and I mean PSO-style shotguns, is disappointing.

Hatrix
Dec 4, 2009, 01:14 AM
SHOTGUN (or lack there of)

Yes it's a shame we get a new weapon class of gunblades and there all low powered, we lose shotguns which are more way more effective

ZetsumeiSan
Dec 4, 2009, 01:28 AM
Are you kidding? I loved playing my original RAcaseal in PSO and love playing the RAcaseal in my Youtube videos. Boring isn't the word for it. The lack of shotguns, and I mean PSO-style shotguns, is disappointing.

PSU-styled shotguns were much more efficient.

GHNeko
Dec 4, 2009, 01:58 AM
Maybe you should experiment with different mat/mag builds. :V

Niered
Dec 4, 2009, 02:01 AM
With the exception of PSU, rangers could be considered a boring class. My main on PSU was an RAcast and he was GREAT! Really fun class to play.

Oh yeah, that tapping the same button over and over and over was the best time I've ever had! Meanwhile all the other classes were using these crazy "Photon Arts" and "Techniques" to vary there gameplay, but I just had one, lonely, button.

Best time ever man.

Trina
Dec 4, 2009, 04:07 AM
PSU styled shotguns are the SAME as gunblades. No combo, closerange hit hits 3 times.

There's an obvious reason they removed the shots, nerfed slicers and mechguns: due to certain players complaining about LOL RANGERS OP KILLS EVERYTHING BEFORE WE GET TO DO ANYTHING on the other PSO versions. Not to to mention the needles.

Oh and PSU ranger was the most boring thing ever. Is enemy burning? No? Set trap. Yes? Strafe and PRESS THE SHOOT KEY Zzzzzzzzz

GHNeko
Dec 4, 2009, 04:33 AM
nerfed slicers

lolwat

slicers were nerfed?

could of fooled me. >_>

Trina
Dec 4, 2009, 05:55 AM
PSO slicers = based on ATP, worked pretty much in the same way as shots did, it bounces hit up to 5 target as long as they all were marked.

PS0 slivers = based on MST, hit's only targets in its path you can't throw it until it returns to you when thrown.

It's quite hard to make slicers hit more than 4 targets now, compared to PSO where it was ezmode.

GHNeko
Dec 4, 2009, 06:11 AM
they still out damage and out perform PSO slicers because even though you cant throw it again until it comes back. You're welcome to do anything else while it's out like cast magic and DODGE ROLL OMFG.

They're based of MST. Meaning they're weapons for FOs who have amazing MST potential beyond mortal comprehention and going pure MST with mats/mags/slots, a FO with a slicer has the potential to out DPS a HU. :|

And in PSO. yea. you could hit multiple targets really easy, but the general power of slicers were terribad. That and their ATA was anything but hot.

It's easily debatable that no one seriously used them because there were much better weapons for your particular class.

PSZ Slicers >>>>> PSO Slicers

Oh. Did I mention PSZ Slicers have legit PAs? What do PSO Slicers have? Extra attack? lol k.

Itchee
Dec 4, 2009, 09:52 AM
You complain that forces are overpowered but you fail to understand that they always have been the more powerful class.

I dont "fail to understand" that.
The core of my argument there is they should have given rangers guns which use ATA to provide their dmg or slightly increased the damage of the ranger-only weapons. FOnewearl + 100mst mag + mst boosting units + mst mats + slicer = completely ridiculous.
Also:

It's quite hard to make slicers hit more than 4 targets now, compared to PSO where it was ezmode.

Rangers have no multi-target weapons worth a damn. The laser cannon and gunblade shot are utterly laughable. So not only can forces nuke everything but they can out melee(just about...and many times I do see this happening) or range (this is certainly the case) hunters and rangers too...all the while having the ability to do that much damage to multiple targets in the room?

At level 100 there is no real use for boosting ATA, imo. Yay...rangers get the highest ATA....but theres no enemies that require an abundance of it to deal with. Ok, so forces have always been super-powered? Fine. But to this level? No. Im simply suggesting the balance is way off here and the are certainly things which are broken.

sylwyn
Dec 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
What I don't like is guns can't shoot across gaps on the floor or through objects like a small bush or what not while slicers can. I mean I know slicers do a curved motion but when I play in the valley and the guns can't damage enemies when I'm on an opposite platform it makes me ;_;

Slicers can hit from anywhere~

Itchee
Dec 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
OP weapon type is OP.

Trina
Dec 4, 2009, 10:24 AM
Not really. My HUcast with slicers was the shit on old PSO

They're based of MST. Meaning they're weapons for FOs who have amazing MST potential beyond mortal comprehention and going pure MST with mats/mags/slots, a FO with a slicer has the potential to out DPS a HU. :|

Not really. Forces is the lowest ATA class. Slicers have amongst lowest ATA on PS0. They'll out damage HUs alright, maybe, if their attack actually hits and if they don't get instakilled by something on SH.

After putting decent amount of points into ATA and defensive stats they'll have around 100 more MST than a slicer HUnewearl build. That translates into roughly +15 more damage / normal hit while the HUnewearl will have much more survivability. Also I use that HUnewearl build and I can say that most melee hunters do more damage than me.

sylwyn
Dec 4, 2009, 10:33 AM
I can say that most melee hunters do more damage than me.

Yea, although the dmg is not laughable it's still not as powerful as a HUnewearl would have been using pure ATP. But we do get better survivability and boosted Resta (mine heal more than my HP atm :-)).

Also I noticed that when I use bright sign although the enemies are stunned on my screen they are not stunned on my teammates screens, kinda sad too since it seems to proc alot for me. ^^;

Akaimizu
Dec 4, 2009, 10:53 AM
Funny enough. Slicers, for some time, have always been the controversial weapon. Mainly because for some reason, Sonic Team always wants to give a very powerful ranged weapon to a class that isn't a Ranger. Instead of a decent average Ranged Weapon to a class that isn't a ranger.

Sonic Team usually does a great job of keeping the Ranger from being as good as anybody else, when it comes to using weapons other classes specialize. The Rangers don't get the same treatment, their way.

But I agree, they really should've given the slicers the same *block* limitation the guns got. If more Japanese players actually *play* Rangers, I think a little more attention would be put to this.

Still, I can hardly complain. Everybody can be effective end-game, just that as usual, there are some that go above the curve. It's no amazing amount of class discrepancy as PSU. Sonic Team hasn't been too accurate with their class descriptions. They're usually misleading.

I think the use of ATA in calculating Gun damage would make a lot of sense and make things easier to balance. Especially with that one suspect aspect of Cast Hunters having a little too much gun access.

Itchee
Dec 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
I never said rangers couldnt be effective....I do just fine in SH. My original posts - while getting in a bit of bitching - were more of me feeling the lacklusterness of my RAcast. Im not surprised that Sonic Team would give preferential treatment to classes used by a particular subset of their player base....most jp game companies do that (blatant generalization alert!). I do feel a bigger balance gap between the classes in PSZ than the other games though because of the reasons ive already stated. Theyre just popping out at me alot nowadays....

sylwyn
Dec 4, 2009, 11:30 AM
I think while Forces dominate N + H mode Hunters become better in SH mode due to tech resistance build up, while Rangers are unappealing altogether sadly. My Over Ends on HUnewm hit MT and DF for 1k+ x3. And alot of enemies aren't weak to slicer damage higher up sadly.

If you are a Ranger do not go to Paru (gun resistance!)~

Itchee
Dec 4, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yea, I have a halfway decent saber I use when im free playing and I get stuck on Paru. >_<

Akaimizu
Dec 4, 2009, 11:42 AM
I also generally find a good weapon or two, from a different class as well. I also play a RAmar, in the game. Some of the Melee PAs are pretty nice, though I'm not one to like getting too close. In Solo, I don't have the nice aspect of having Deband on me.

I was kind of hoping, some of those PAs where you throw grenades, blow up bombs, or cause a small energy-disturbance explosion, would have a nice wide multi-target blast. Especially since some PAs (though not too damaging at once) do spread some damage across targets.

My attraction to Rangers, in this game, was to relive my days as a Human Ranger in PSO, and to use those gun PAs, which have been a long time coming.

Itchee
Dec 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
Personally, I find the vast majority of the ranged PAs to be highly situational and/or weak for various reasons (excessive charge times coupled with low damage output, ect). That doesnt help how I feel about the ranger class either....

GHNeko
Dec 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
Not really. Forces is the lowest ATA class. Slicers have amongst lowest ATA on PS0. They'll out damage HUs alright, maybe, if their attack actually hits and if they don't get instakilled by something on SH.

After putting decent amount of points into ATA and defensive stats they'll have around 100 more MST than a slicer HUnewearl build. That translates into roughly +15 more damage / normal hit while the HUnewearl will have much more survivability. Also I use that HUnewearl build and I can say that most melee hunters do more damage than me.

FOmars and FOmarls have respectable enough ATA nautrally that you can craft a 90% MST 10% ATA build with mags/mats/slots and be amazing.

Also if you're a FO, the only times you should be getting it are by long distances attacks like projectiles and traps and bosses. If you're on the front lines, you're doing it wrong. Got an enemy in front of you. Get the fuck back. And really, FOs wont be getting one shotted by anything less than a boss even in SH mode. :|

sylwyn
Dec 4, 2009, 01:58 PM
Being a constant spammer of RAzonde and GImegid I have be rather close to the mobs in order to get the most out of those techs. Techs like RAfoie and perhaps RAbarta could allow some distance though.

I usually occupy the center on the room when I'm on my FOnewm, L button works wonders hehe~

Trina
Dec 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
SH mode. It depends really. The biggest threats are actually the turrets and all the robots that shoots stuff.

One time I was playing only hard mode with my 84 RAcaseal, a spot with 2 turrets shooting 3 shots each, plus some robot shot at me, instantly lost 4-500 hp without being able to dodge since I was in mid attack animation. My racaseal was both overleveled and had a moebius plate, quite alot more DFP than forces.

GHNeko
Dec 4, 2009, 05:51 PM
Those kind of moments are pretty uncommon and shouldn't be used as a real legit example imo.

You got gangraped. I've lost 600HP before as a HUmar with 4 hero/guards on a max grinded arquebus armor because I got attacked by like over 9000 enemies and projectiles at once.

Stuff happens, but not a lot to really be considered really legit imo.

TaciturnBadger
Dec 4, 2009, 06:43 PM
One time I got nibbled by an usanny and lost like, for real, two hit points. Is that a legit example? :-P~~~