PDA

View Full Version : Mag Farming?

Morti
Dec 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, well, ever since PSO episode 1, I've found that this is one of my favorite things to do.

I'm curious if anyone else takes the time to raise mags in large groups also...

KillingMoon
Dec 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
Raising mags is one of my favorite "fun" implementations of micromanagement in pretty much any RPG, something I've been doing since the original PSO. At any given time I usually have at least three mags in the process of leveling on any of my characters. I like to go the step beyond a classic pure or 50/50 build, maybe i want a 25/75, or a 40/60. Heck, to get the right PB I've been known to raise them 66/33/1. Mags and raising them are one of my favorite aspects of the PSO franchise, and just as a game mechanic in general. "Here's a little adorable blob of stats, any stats you like! And here, you can carry as many as you like for every possible contingency!"

Zephton
Dec 4, 2009, 11:29 AM
Mag farming is quite fun and I'm glad they included a lot of new variants.

Allison_W
Dec 4, 2009, 03:40 PM
Mag farming frightens me because of all the possible permutations I could need to make to match a given playstyle, situation, or outfit, given the many stat bonus combinations, mag natures, and colours available. And the limited trunk space. Oh good golly the limited trunk space. D:

At least I'm almost done with my HUmarl's offensive blue 75 ATP/25 ATA Wyn.

TaciturnBadger
Dec 4, 2009, 05:29 PM
Mag Farming is AWESOME!

I haven't calced out the new timing on PSZ, but I remember if you set it right on PSO, with six mags in your inventory -- if you don't "skip" the sound effect and watching the bar increase -- you have reached the pinnacle of magfarm efficiency. With a wad of meseta in your pocket and standing in front of the Items shop, by the time you've finished feeding the last mag and restocked, the first mag is hungry again. The result? ENDLESS MAG FEEDING!! Woot!~~

Though I will admit that the mags being able to eat five items at a sitting and being able to consume things other than usable items is awesome.. though I kinda missed the different mag "personalities." Particularly what I coined the "backwards mags" where mates would provide mind and fluids provided power, etc. That kept things interesting.. it seems that they dumbed that aspect down, which I'm still torn over whether I like the simplicity for its ease of accessibility or if I miss the hyper-detailed planning more.

<ramble>

I guess, though, for a handheld, if I had to pick, I'd lean towards the former. I remember many times in PSO where I had plotted out every single level of a mag's growth and evolution to end up at an ultimate product, having drunkenly mistakenly fed a mag the wrong item and having it gain a level of the wrong sort, and promptly swearing repeatedly and starting a new mag.. okay, for a handheld, I suppose the simpler method does have its advantages.

</ramble>

Vayne
Dec 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
Mag farming rules! It helps change up the game play a lot! It's great being able to significantly change your stats by just switching mags. I used to have a RAmar with a pure MST mag in PSO that I'd use! Why? Just for fun! Like KillingMoon ,I usually have atleast 3 mags on me at any given time. At first I did not like that you only have one PB instead of 3 but that adds just another dimension when raising mags! It is also alot easier raising them in PSZ because you can feed them weapons and armor which I find convienant. I really like the skins on the PSZ mags, they have a lot more personality to them.

Pavichokche
Dec 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
I just got through the story with all my characters, and they each have their mag at lv 100. Now I'm starting to plan raising various mag sets to have on each character, so that I can easily change the character's set during battle.

I heard someone mention changing mag color. Can you do that after you've already selected mag color when creating your character?

mike.experiment
Dec 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
My item database has every mag but Sonichi, Femini and Radam. Heh heh.
I need to start trading off some of these babies.
Tamagatchi baby!

TaciturnBadger
Dec 4, 2009, 06:21 PM
Well, I tried to do it in the Dressing Room, but it wouldn't let me. Unless someone knows of a method other than that..

ブルーベリー
Dec 4, 2009, 06:32 PM
Mag raising is way too easy to use for trade-bait. I raised a 100 mind Femini in a little over an hour feeding it pure PP materials. If you can raise a 100 leveled mag in one hour, they an't be worth much.

Even though I used >100 PP mats.. but seriously.. what else would I use them for?

Also, you can't change your mag color.

Djehuti
Dec 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
Love it, I rasie a couple a level 100 mags anew every day.

So now I've got between 3-5 mags per file, for whatever the situation may call for.

Pavichokche
Dec 4, 2009, 09:33 PM
Lol, you must have your game done pretty solid to be able to do that :D

Sala
Dec 5, 2009, 08:08 AM
Busy on a 50/50 mind/guard mag and on a 100 mind mag. :3 the mind mag gets a soul... :c only mind is soooo ugly one. >_>

ブルーベリー
Dec 5, 2009, 08:30 AM
If u keep Guard 1 higher than Mind (put it at 51) it will stay as a Larg to level 100. :)
If at lvl 100 ur Guard is not higher than Mind it will change to a different mag.

Lvl 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 the mags evolutions are checked to see if they still meet requireds and if its wrong, it re-evolves into appropriate one.