PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe *next gen* facts

Meta77
Dec 7, 2009, 11:27 PM
am just stating some facts that are leading me to believe sega is gearing to release a new phantasy star game for ps3 and xbox360.
for one is the releases of so many phantasy star games recently. psp, psz and psp2.
Next is that the games story *psu* is basically over.
and psp2 takes place several years after the aoi story line
the only main reason its not happened yet is more people own a ps2 than 3 in japan so sega sees more sense in keeping it on there but now as time goes on more people have the new next gen systems and are starting to move. and to continue story segas going to need to release a whole new game since new characters are involved in psp2

Squirrel3D
Dec 7, 2009, 11:39 PM
It sounds good on paper, but the problem is....with stuff still not released for the U.S./EU yet in the online game, the next phantasy star is not gonna be released for another few years.

Meta77
Dec 8, 2009, 12:25 AM
true but there really is not that much more to bring out. there really arent any new bosses or anything. its just basically raising the diff. in the game and release weapons that have been in the game coding now. but yea there basically strecting its life for all its worth like a fruit rollup

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 8, 2009, 01:04 AM
If only by the amount of money Phantasy Star is bringing Sega in on the portable formats, I believe so. Nobody really knows when or what it will be like, exactly, however.

Mike
Dec 8, 2009, 01:14 AM
I think it's a safe bet that Sega, or at least Dragon Sakai, is going to be pursuing handhelds as it's next platform for Phantasy Star games. This is exciting and disappointing at the same time. You gain more users in the handheld arena but you lose out on some of the freedom of some of the larger storage capacity medium in PCs and consoles.

Keilyn
Dec 8, 2009, 01:45 AM
Phantasy Star always had a trend of Four Episodes being made per story, with the third episode being different than 1, 2 and 4. This happened in the original games, in PSO....and Im wondering if true here as well...

There is also Phantasy Star Zero and its storyline...so who knows what the future will bring.

All I know is that it takes a very long time to design, test and make a good game...Where Sega is great with design and implementation, they fail at advertising and marketing...that was actually the main reason the dreamcast failed way back when...

Every Sega product you see that actually has some decency, the majority simply do not know of its existence and its usually die hard sega or series fans that play their games...and that will always be attributed to marketing and advertising.

landman
Dec 8, 2009, 04:57 AM
Sakai said he wants the series back on home consoles, he also said there's going to be something interesting on 2010...

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2150/Phantasy+Star+Zero/

Deragonite
Dec 8, 2009, 05:12 AM
Phantasy Star always had a trend of Four Episodes being made per story, with the third episode being different than 1, 2 and 4. This happened in the original games, in PSO....and Im wondering if true here as well...

There is also Phantasy Star Zero and its storyline...so who knows what the future will bring.

All I know is that it takes a very long time to design, test and make a good game...Where Sega is great with design and implementation, they fail at advertising and marketing...that was actually the main reason the dreamcast failed way back when...

Every Sega product you see that actually has some decency, the majority simply do not know of its existence and its usually die hard sega or series fans that play their games...and that will always be attributed to marketing and advertising.

Very perspective :)

The Genesis and the Dreamcast were both ahead of their time now that you mention it.

HandOfThornz
Dec 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
I agree something is happening in the world of phantasy star and consoles. With the possibility of PS2 games being available for download on the PS3 network (everyone has seen the "leaked" email!?) This could mean PSU could become downloadable. As the Playstation 3 has a harddrive new content could be downloaded, unlike the PS2 which has little places to store new data.
Also downlaodable content is being discussed in the leaked document to include direct Japanese releases through PSN. This could bring USA/EU PSU servers up to date with JP PSU servers.

I hope the ps2/pc server is carried over to the PS3 network if they do bring PSU to PS3, to start PSU again could be a bit frustrating (i personnally have over 5'000 hours in PSU since version1 EU release)

With PSU on PS3 there would be no reasons of holding back downable content on all formats (xbox,PS3 and PC)

PSU was to have a 10 year plan, mentioned in an interview with Sonic team back with PSU version 1. So there's a few years left if they are sticking to it ;)

Anyway i guess we will find out some point around spring 2010 at one of the games events

Meta77
Dec 8, 2009, 08:44 AM

Though games do take awhile to make their is noting to say that sega hasnt been working on something in the background.

Sinue_v2
Dec 8, 2009, 09:17 AM
My speculation... there won't be a Next Gen "PSU". I think it's preformed too poorly to continue beyond the AoTI expansion for four releases this generation... what is there to merit the resources and money needed to put out a next gen installment? I guess you could count PSP 1 & 2 as releases... but you can't really fit that into any perceived trend (without which the # of releases per generation become pointless). Handhelds are a very different market with a different demographic. If anything, the success of PSP1 & PSP2 have merely shown that it was not a disinterest in Phantasy Star - or even PSU itself - that caused the console version's failing. It was the drip-feeding of content and bland uninspired tripe caused by lack of vision/poor direction and understaffed/underbudgeted production.

And besides... if you want to count handheld releases, then there's so many outliers present that the trend breaks anyhow. What of Phantasy Star Zero, Phantasy Star Gaiden, and Phantasy Star Adventure?

Storyline wise, there never really was a trend. PS classic represented four very separate storylines connected by a broad over-arching story which didn't make sense until PSIV. PSO Ep I - IV barely makes sense, and represents a single storyline - with the exception of perhaps Ep III depending. Blue Burst contained Ep I & II. PSU represents a more linear and structured storyline spread out over two releases/three episodes. As I understand it, PSPs are more or less side stories. I had assumed that there would be at least one more PSU commercial release giving it four episodes, and bringing the online Episode III story missions offline for prosperity once the servers go down. The game would essentially be unfinished in that event. But that's apparently not going to be the case, though you never know. Some future offline compilation that isn't intended to go online may be released. PSZero does represent a new chapter/side story in the PSO storyline.

At any rate, I will still hold out hope that Sega decides to drop this pop JP teeny-bopper anime tripe about friendship conquering all and return to a more complex and epic story filled with more realistic ranges of emotion. Replace the "Happy" endings with uncertain "Hopeful" endings. As I've said many times before, - The Phantasy Star series (in my mind) has no better theme song than PSO Ep I's ending song.

I can feel you are near
Within me, outer space
Here and there
Tell me please
How much we have to bleed
When we'll get the land of dream
After lonely bitter days

Now I can still see the light
You're saved
And I think of you tonight
Soon the dawn will come again
But What have I got?
What has it cost me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2XzRaK1TL0

Also, Dark Falz/Force/Profound Darkness were much better in PSO Ep I and PS Classic than what he was portrayed as in the later PSO episodes, PSZ, and PSU. Bring back the Lovecraftian influence. And for fuck's sake... don't try to explain it in "PS Tech" terms like photons and A-photons and SEED and shit. Part of the allure and fear came from the non-semiogical explanations. The violent clash of technological space-age scientifically advanced societies with the irrational and unknown magic and deities of myth they could not explain and were seemingly powerless to combat made for great atmosphere. Lovecraft didn't describe the slumbering elder gods in terms of fantasy pseudo-physics. He described them with the frightened whispers of a lunatic who's mind had been broken by a glimpse of what lay beyond the veil.

For those who aren't familiar with Lovecraft, see Eternal Darkness for the NGC. Rico's message pods (especially in the ruins) serve nicely as well.

PSII, IV, and PSO Ep I had very satisfying endings for me. PSII's involved the suggested death of your entire party, with their only legacy being as reviled terrorists that lead the system to the brink of total ruin. Yet you know, as the player, the truth of events surrounding their sacrifice - and why it was necessary to SAVE Algol. Rolf's final words "I wonder what the people will see in the final days?" Show that fatigue and torment... and hope. PSIV's ending was somewhat somber, with the hero's parting - never to see each other again. The carrying on with their lives in spite of adversity, and sacrifice. Through the course of the game, you have to shut down the out of control systems which are responsible for maintaining what little edge of survival humanity still clings to as the planet reverts back to total desert. But with the knowledge that it is the only way to secure any hope for continued survival. PSO Ep I, similarly, left a lot of loose ends with the citizens of Pioneer II still in orbit - unable to land due to the situation on the surface - and yet unable to return to Coral. Uncertain of their future, with their iconic hero Red Ring Rico even unable to survive the tempest she was at the heart of. As for PSIII... well... there's several endings. One of note being an ending that's unambiguously happy... so long as you don't know how Phantasy Star II ends, and what the implications of that happy ending are.

It's that position of a rock and a hard place, and only a fleeting chance to strive for as the way out - and the final analysis of the gambit left unspoken. That strikes me as a far more human and relate-able storyline than the shallowness "happily ever after" offers.

landman
Dec 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
PSU was to have a 10 year plan, mentioned in an interview with Sonic team back with PSU version 1. So there's a few years left if they are sticking to it ;)
Now it's ten? I'm sure I have always heard about the 5 years plan, not ten.

Volcompat321
Dec 8, 2009, 11:02 AM
I don't think any game has a ten year plan, specially when the next gen consoles are only supposed to have a 10 year plan.

I think the "facts" are wrong.

Dragwind
Dec 8, 2009, 11:34 AM
There's no way PSU could have a 10 year plan. I do believe there will be another console title, but I'm thinking it might be something completely new, yet again. If not, we might see a continuation of the PSU story for a while longer (maybe 2-3 years) possibly continuing from where PSP:2 leaves off.

Companies always find a way to continue a story.

DuRaL
Dec 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
no, please don't continue the story of PSU! make somethign entirely new!
and for god's sake, Sega, don't add PSO areas and monsters into that new game! make new areas/monsters that fit the story/style of the game..

(i don't need a new game to play PSO areas, i have PSO..)

personally, i don't care if we'll see a new console PSO-game in 2010, 2011, or maybe later for PS4, Wuu or Xbox1080..
as long as they don't make it for xbox360 in 2014 and then port it over to the next next-gen consoles (similar to what they did with PSU), it's cool..

Meta77
Dec 8, 2009, 10:51 PM
i didint really mean a next gen psu game i meant a ps game sorry about that XP lol. but well know next year as its the 10th annverisy and i know sega has something somewhat big planned. Can anyone say phantasy star racers!

unicorn
Dec 9, 2009, 02:15 AM
Um...where are the facts? All I see so far is speculation in this thread.

Meaning, I was mislead... :(

HyperShot-X-
Dec 9, 2009, 06:58 PM
could really care less about storyline as the strong points of PSO/PSU series were always about addictive action and online co-op/multiplayer game play mechanics based on RPG elements, they should just wait and see how the next mmorpg FFxx(i lost the count) turns out and then take it from there.

So, if they announce the new PS successor on consoles sometime next year and plans at least 2 yrs of development period, it won't be another 3 yrs until it's released. One thing they should never do again is simultaneous release of pc version but rather go PSOBB way as a stand alone for pc then there's no worry servers will get hacked within 2 months of release. Most would think that they will learn from their past mistakes if they had half a brain but it's Sega we're talking about here..-_-

DreXxiN
Dec 9, 2009, 08:51 PM
PSU was to have a 5 year plan, mentioned in an interview

Fixed.

SuperRygar
Dec 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
Um...where are the facts? All I see so far is speculation in this thread.

Meaning, I was mislead... :(

HAHA Bingo.

Danny_Dark
Dec 13, 2009, 03:49 PM
So maybe there sometime PSU Ver.3 on DVD...

pinkace
Dec 13, 2009, 06:28 PM
I will still hold out hope that Sega decides to drop this pop JP teeny-bopper anime tripe about friendship conquering all and return to a more complex and epic story filled with more realistic ranges of emotion. Replace the "Happy" endings with uncertain "Hopeful" endings. As I've said many times before, - The Phantasy Star series (in my mind) has no better theme song than PSO Ep I's ending song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2XzRaK1TL0

:beer:

:applause:

Very well said, friend.

NegaTsukasa
Dec 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
ya. I have a feeling this is where the market is heading. at least the corperation should finish their plate and make the final PSU AoI game. then have a ball with the handhelds all they want.

Arika
Dec 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
I think that they make PSPo2 first while waiting PS3 grow more.
Of course, if that console sale well, then they will focus on it more.

NegaTsukasa
Dec 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
perhaps.

Untamed Dragoon
Dec 14, 2009, 10:36 AM
im not one to speculate, but i think there"may" a new psu game for ps3. there was a post here saying that in japan ppl have more ps2 than ps3, and another post talking about the market perspective of making a new psu game for ps3 (or 360lol). Anyway here's who i see it lol.

PSU released: Gets a good start ppl enjoy the game.
Aoti released: Game gets better.
Months later: Online game play gets worst due to lack of content. (US/EU server)
Sega's scapegoat to buy time to fix things for US/EU server: the release of ps0, psp.
(Just what I think that Sega is thinking) Sega's idea: Make new psu game for ps3.(360....lol maybe)
Marketing for future psu game on ps3: Sega release psp2
(Now why would I say that? Simple. marketing is (in my perspective) gambling/chance/popular trend battle. Anyway, psp2 can play wifi either lan party or psn network. Now here's my point. If you want to play with people from around the world you have to can try using standard method, or the adhoc feature. (which you can dowload from the psn store) In japan, ppl have more ps2 than ps3. so, why not make ppl want to buy a ps3, so sega can make a new psu game for the ps3. psp2 and the adhoc feature is the answer :o normally psp2 players in jp will have to go out or have a friend to play with others, but if they had a ps3 they can use the adhoc feature to play with anyone, anywhere in jp. :o If your catching on to what im saying cool, if not just think about it. Anyway, how i see it is that Sega is gambling on psp2 to get ppl in jp to "want" to buy a ps3, hench the "good to go" to make the new psu for the ps3. That's how i see it...lol

I dont know what your gonna think of all this, or make any sense of it. Even I don't even know what the hell I just posted. xD Anyway, if you want to reply your thoughts, or whatever, feel free to do so. lol

WARNING!!!!THIS IS JUST SPECULATION

Main: I dont care for my main xD since I dont use him much lol Lv151
class:M Human AF Lv20
Alt1: Atsumi Lv120
class:F Human Fightgunner Lv20
Alt2: Michiko Lv101
class:F Human WT Lv20
Alt3: Kichiro Lv130
class:M Human GM Lv3
Psp2 Main: Ryuichi Lv1 (when my game gets here ^-^)
class:H Male ProtranserLv1

Maronji
Dec 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
I will still hold out hope that Sega decides to drop this pop JP teeny-bopper anime tripe about friendship conquering all

I did have an attempt at a counter-statement all planned out, but I decided against it. Let me just say this.

Think about it from the perspective of a Japanese business as opposed to a gamer playing a game made by that business, and then come back and make that statement again. I'm sure you'll find that it's not nearly as easy to make a call on as opposed to thinking about it from the perspective of an American business.