PDA

View Full Version : Touhou / Stylized Shadow Art

Retniwreven
Dec 8, 2009, 01:32 AM
I'm thinking any major fans of the series will have seen this before.
Still, this is awesome music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sib2L6A6xgw

Weeaboolits
Dec 8, 2009, 02:29 AM
I remember seeing this before, the animation is neat, Bad Apple is a pretty good track too, but I doubt we'll be seeing Elly in another game any time soon, not that she'd keep her old theme if we did anyway.

Somnia
Dec 8, 2009, 04:39 AM
Did you hear the violin arrange? Sounds like Zelda music. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGDZFNyz4Q&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGDZFNyz4Q&fmt=18

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
Touhou, Street ART
@ 0:43 for those "jump to exact" peoples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTR0ktKTmKk

Or Lucky Star or whatever. I don't know, but I never wanted to post in the OT one called: "Funny youtube vids!"

Regular B-Boy got served, by animu style. I'm thinking major fans have not seen this before!

Outrider
Dec 8, 2009, 11:15 AM
Can I ask what these videos are in reference to so that I can begin judging all of you?

I assumed it was just some random anime, but Ronin mentioned a game, so now I'm wondering if it's something I might have heard about.

Zarode
Dec 8, 2009, 11:40 AM
A google search could've gotten you the answer, easily. It's a bunch of fan-anime stuff about a bunch of bullethell games with anime witches in it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project)

The first video's effect is greatly reduced once you figure out that it is just noir-textured 3d.

VVV Hey now, I wasn't calling him out or anything. If I was, I would've added dumbass or something in there. :disapprove: I like Outrider. He is good on calling bullshit on things. VVV

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 8, 2009, 11:47 AM
Outrider coolness is picking up steam.

Making Zarodes Google for him, slightly spiting with one harsh cummuffin[sic?] word, but still doing the work.

I can deal with 3D on youtubery, I can't deal with "Hey you've got that YTMND in your YOUTUBE!" Oh Chuck Norris badly superimposed on the Van Damme Kickboxer weirdo dance scene, don't think I'll forget that one even though I want to!

Outrider
Dec 8, 2009, 12:09 PM
I figured I'd rather have everyone here try to explain it than trust the cold, unfeeling truth of technology.

Or something.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
Not Posted by Zarode but maybe Zorgon, evil doer
VVV Hey now, I wasn't calling him out or anything. If I was, I would've added dumbass or something in there. :disapprove: I like Outrider. He is good on calling bullshit on things. VVV
Never happened, this edit.

I read that extra ", easily." part harsher than intended I guess. But I prefaced it as a slight spite. I understand people aren't 100% left right wing Megazords on all the time (*). And if it wasn't a spite @ all, then no harm no foul. Sorry to all involved.

(*) - Who resurfaced and fixed the Megazord after battles? It wasn't like they had a Voltron base or bums off the street to repair the Big-O for more "SHOWTIME!" Permanent "Battle Damage" 1/144 scale figurines?

Zarode
Dec 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
I could call him something, but he'd, ya know, retaliate, unlike most members... :wacko:

Weeaboolits
Dec 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
Can I ask what these videos are in reference to so that I can begin judging all of you?

I assumed it was just some random anime, but Ronin mentioned a game, so now I'm wondering if it's something I might have heard about.Touhou is a bullet-hell shooter series created by a lone alcoholic Japanese man because he felt like it, it has flashy colors, awesome music and poorly drawn portrait sprites. It'd be worth checking out if you like vertical scrolling shooters, the gameplay is solid.

There's also a lot of supplemental materials and mountains of fan-made stuff (not just shitty fan-fics, but I'm sure it has those too), if you're interested in all that.

Also, I may as well go all out and throw in some yootoobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kdWG1MvOcA

Stage 3 of the most recent installment on the highest difficulty (Skip to about 2:25 if you want the boss, since I chose that stage in particular just for that).

And to balance things out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwKQrDjA3bc

The final boss from the 7th game in the series on Normal difficulty.

The fighting game spinoffs are pretty solid as well, if all this actually piqued your interest any you can get more info on this wiki (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Wiki).

Outrider
Dec 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
But I don't like bullet-hell shooters.

Or at least, I haven't learned to like them.

It's just too close to the "make it harder for no other reason than making sure 90% of people can't play it" style for me to give them a fair shake.

TalHex
Dec 8, 2009, 01:59 PM
this is really awesome!

Weeaboolits
Dec 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
But I don't like bullet-hell shooters.

Or at least, I haven't learned to like them.

It's just too close to the "make it harder for no other reason than making sure 90% of people can't play it" style for me to give them a fair shake.To be honest, I didn't even care about this sort of game (not just curtain fire, but in general) until I tried out Touhou ( I actually only tried them out because I knew a bunch of other people who were playing and decided to see what all the hubbub was about), if you want one that isn't too hard, Imperishable Night's easy mode is pretty forgiving (additionally, any game prior to Mountain of Faith, using a continue picks you up right from where you died, rather than restarting te stage, you just get the bad ending if you finish and don't get to save your replay).

I'll admit for a lot of people the major draw is showing off, but I'm not good enough at it to play for that reason, I mostly just like all the fancy bullet patterns the enemies use and the witty banter between fights (if you have a translation patch), to say nothing of the music.

I've tried a couple other games of the genre, but I didn't really like any others as much, since a lot of them just throw random shit at you rather than having any rhyme or reason, the flashy bullet patterns are a lot more fun then the random clusterfucks some other ones I tried had to offer.

I will say though, that the most recent entries into the series (Namely anything 10 and onward) has been a bit too difficult for me (particularly the newest one where I got stuck on the stage 3 boss), although it might be due in part that I had taken a bit of a break from playing them and got rusty.

I'd recommend at least giving them a shot so you can at least say that you gave it a fair chance before deciding you don't like it, although if you really just hate the genre I'm not gonna sit here and try and force it on you.

Outrider
Dec 8, 2009, 03:42 PM
I like shooters, though. Over the past year I've become absolutely enamored with twin-stick shooters (Geometry Wars and its kin).

I'll add this to my mental list of "Games to play when I'm dicking around on a computer for an entire day and am sick of all my other games."

That's how I finally got myself to play Cave Story and I loved that, so there may be hope for me.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 PM
Tell the horrible truth I really, really suck at Touhou. But I'm a fan none the less. I'm glad that ZUN (the creator of Touhou) puts a stop to any anime being made about it. He just wants it to stay a game. Thats it. He don't mind the doujin. He just doesn't want it to be too commercial. Or something. I 'unno.

Oh btw, he believes that Americans can't do his games. Haha! I proved him wrong! Sorta...kinda...about 50% wrong....

Hell's horses do I suck at Touhou....

Nitro Vordex
Dec 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
Stuck up stereotypical Japanese people?

How bizarre!

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Dec 9, 2009, 10:36 PM
ZUN however doesn't care if your an American or not. Truth be told I think in an interview with him and his team one of the members was American. ZUN didn't mind because, well hell, he was his drinking buddy! All in all ZUN doesn't even care if your from Brazil as long as you buy his games and he gets his booze. Thats all that matters.

Zarode
Dec 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
Oh btw, he believes that Americans can't do his games.

I think he took the mistake of no American would want to play his game in the wrong sense. :disapprove:

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Dec 10, 2009, 10:33 PM
Ha ha! Silly Japanese! Never underestimate the will power of us Americans! By the grace that is Billy Mayes we will prevail!

Volcompat321
Dec 10, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hello, my name is Pat.

Zarode
Dec 10, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ha ha! Silly Japanese! Never underestimate the will power of us Americans! By the grace that is Billy Mayes we will prevail!

Someone needs to quote this post, and cut out all the fluff till you get to Billy Mayes. THEN, post the picture of Batman slapping Robin in the face while saying "THEY'RE DEADDDDDDDDDDD."