PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7...again-

Volcompat321
Dec 15, 2009, 11:04 AM
I got bored, so I did an "upgrade" to Windows 7 64-bit.

It works better than last time I switched.
Not sure why.
Anyway, it's not bad.
Other than looks, I didn't notice any type of performance change.

Dhylec
Dec 15, 2009, 11:06 AM
how fun...

Volcompat321
Dec 15, 2009, 11:08 AM
It wasn't fun actually.
I think it took 3 hours or so.
I thought there would be more of a change, that's why I did it.
:wacko:

TalHex
Dec 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm thinking I might put windows 7 on my mac (and get rid of vista)... tell me how it works out for you, okay?

dual operating systems for the win!

Akaimizu
Dec 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'm not putting Windows 7 on my Mac until two things happen.

1. I get a larger harddrive.
2. I can be assured that the drivers are ready to work with it. I know I got much of the hardware, but I'll bet I need some other drivers or I'll have problems.

TalHex
Dec 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
has to work better then vista >.> I refuse to accept any windows operating system that can't play heroes of might and magic 3

SpikeOtacon
Dec 15, 2009, 04:02 PM
I haven't played with the Windows 7 retail version on my mac yet, but the RC1 ran incredibly smoothly. I only ran into a few incompatibility issues with programs and towards the end of my use of it I had a shutdown go horribly wrong which would prevent me from booting up 7 every 2 out of 3 times I tried.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Windows 7 is actually rather good. There are a number of changes relative to XP that make me want to choke someone, but the general interface is quite nice.

ShinMaruku
Dec 15, 2009, 08:04 PM
XP is still best.

Volcompat321
Dec 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm thinking I might put windows 7 on my mac (and get rid of vista)... tell me how it works out for you, okay?

dual operating systems for the win!
Quoted for next response.

I'm not putting Windows 7 on my Mac until two things happen.

1. I get a larger harddrive.
2. I can be assured that the drivers are ready to work with it. I know I got much of the hardware, but I'll bet I need some other drivers or I'll have problems.
So far, I'm loving it. I like how it looks awesome. Like I said though, I haven't noticed any type of performance changes. They may be very small.
Btw, I'm using Ultimate 64-bit.

If you're dual booting like Talhex here, then when you install Windows 7, you can keep all if your internet files and whatnot.
When I did the Beta one, I dual booted, and it asked me to keep my internet drivers, so it would stay on the internet the whole time.(since it's just an upgrade to Vista, about 99% of your Vista drivers will work with Win7).

I haven't played with the Windows 7 retail version on my mac yet, but the RC1 ran incredibly smoothly. I only ran into a few incompatibility issues with programs and towards the end of my use of it I had a shutdown go horribly wrong which would prevent me from booting up 7 every 2 out of 3 times I tried.

Wow, well, that's weird.
I've only had problems with Vista being stupid.
Twice, it's "turned off" my CD-Rom drive. Like it was never there.
I had to go into safe mode, and RE-INSTALL Windows for it to work.(though it hasn't happened in about 8 months).
I also had a problem where my computer wouldn't stay into sleep mode.
Upgrading to 7 fixed that.

Windows 7 is actually rather good. There are a number of changes relative to XP that make me want to choke someone, but the general interface is quite nice.

I haven't had XP in a very long time, so I forgot about any main differences.
I've only heard that 7 is like XP performance wise. (and again like I said, it's not much of a difference to Vista on my laptop).

Meyfei
Dec 19, 2009, 12:00 PM
I've always had a problem with windows Vista resetting my time 4 hours behind.

Is windows 7 trustworthy, or is XP still the Optimus Primal of the windows series?

Volcompat321
Dec 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
Well, I haven't used XP in seriously, at least 5 years or so.
I kinda forgot how good XP is.
I love Vista, other than how it messed up my CD-Rom drive, sleep, and uh, I guess that's it.

Windows 7 for me so far is great.
I have actually noticed some things that has changed from Vista, but only slight changes.
For example, loading times on the internet browsers are faster, and seems with less effort.
Before, if I had a low connection, the page would freeze for a second (only had this problem with Vista 64-bit, not 32-bit). Now it just stays unloaded, but I can still access different tabs.

With Win7, I only have 3.87(usable RAM) which is weird, I have 4GB of it. :o
Doesn't seem to hurt the system though.

I love the Windows Paint in 7, it's kinda like the cheap version of Photoshop. (Elements or something).
With Win7 my wireless internet (when coming out of sleep mode) loads almost instantly, almost as if the internet stays on while in sleep. (which I've tested, it doesn't).
With Vista, it took about 10-20 seconds for the PC to pick it back up.

Those are just some of the changes that I've noticed. I'm sure there are tons more.
I'd say the switch from XP to Windows7 is worth it, unless you find a program or something that doesn't work with 7.
(So far, even the PS3 controller drivers for 64-bit Win7 is a lot easier to manage than the Vista 64-bit drivers.) Though with 32-bit Vista/Windows7 it was always a problem. Seems I should have stayed 32-bit sometimes.

Nitro Vordex
Dec 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
With Win7, I only have 3.87(usable RAM) which is weird, I have 4GB of it. :o

I think RAM is generally rounded up. Having a 1GB stick of RAM in reality is like .87 I think. I remember reading it but I don't remember where. Plus some of it is probably partitioned for the system itself, or if you have intergrated graphics it could be doing that too.

Volcompat321
Dec 19, 2009, 01:22 PM
I have an integrated vid card (:() but the motherboard and video card have dedicated memory.
I could be wrong, but I thought the whole rounding up thing only counts for stuff like hard drives(because it needs to leave some room for the software or something like that).
I just thought that was weird because it said 4 on Vista. :o

Nitro Vordex
Dec 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
RAM rounds up too, because Windows 7 wouldn't lie to you.

Volcompat321
Dec 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
It might lie to me. But it wouldn't lie to Mr. Gates.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk115/Volcompat321/7eaaec49.png

Meyfei
Dec 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah vista home basic 32bit lied to me like 20 times. First i had 388MB, then 425MB, then like 327mb, now it stays at like 488MB, i wiped my computer like so many times. My Total ram was like 512mb *shiver* i just recently had more added but still havent got my computer back yet.

Volcompat321
Dec 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Vista with less than 2GB is....just not good IMO.
You might want to upgrade, even if for now it's to 1GB.

Nai_Calus
Dec 20, 2009, 03:52 PM
I need to get an upgrade to 7, ugh, I have Vista Home Premium on this computer right now and it makes me want to puke.

File menus in programs are fucking unusable. It whines constantly. I don't know where goddamned anything is anymore because they moved fucking everything and renamed it to boot. It's a huge pile of fuck.

THEY EVEN MANAGED TO FUCK UP SOLITAIRE WHAT HOW THE HELL CAN YOU FUCK UP SOLITAIRE WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT IT'S BEEN THE SAME SINCE WINDOWS 3.1 AND IT WASN"T FUCKING BROKEN.

So now I have this abominable abortion cobbled together via looking for sol.exe and cards.dll on google that consists of what's apparently the French version of 2000's sol.exe and some guy's version of cards.dll that uses the Windows Vista 'seasons' card artwork. Which is weird as shit all in all but DGAF it's fucking non-shit solitaire.

DreXxiN
Dec 20, 2009, 06:33 PM
File menus in programs are fucking unusable. It whines constantly. I don't know where goddamned anything is anymore because they moved fucking everything and renamed it to boot. It's a huge pile of fuck.

Uh, with all due respect, even though I can't stand Vista this really sounds more like a user issue...

And yeah RAM is rounded, but not always lower. My 2GB DDR2 RAM is actually 2048MB of ram, though I'm most likely making a giant upgrade soon since I feel the need for it.

Nai_Calus
Dec 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, a cranky user who's annoyed because they felt the need to change shit that wasn't broken into shit that is infinitely less useful is totally a user issue. Actually yes it is, that's why we have Windows 7 so goddamned soon after Vista.

Meyfei
Dec 20, 2009, 08:56 PM
that's why we have Windows 7 so goddamned soon after Vista.

Now that you say that, it kinda worries me. :o

Volcompat321
Dec 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
Nah, don't be worried. 7 FIXED what Vista had wrong.

It really is an upgraded XP.

Meyfei
Dec 20, 2009, 10:55 PM
Does it have the windows XP theme in it? that theme was shexy :D

DreXxiN
Dec 20, 2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, a cranky user who's annoyed because they felt the need to change shit that wasn't broken into shit that is infinitely less useful is totally a user issue. Actually yes it is, that's why we have Windows 7 so goddamned soon after Vista.

That's because Vista was the 7 project in it's Alpha stages. :)

Volcompat321
Dec 20, 2009, 10:58 PM
Not sure, but I do know people can get 7 Themes for Vista, so I think it's safe to assume you can get an XP theme for any OS.

I could definitely be wrong though, cause I usually don't mess with that stuff.

Meyfei
Dec 20, 2009, 11:01 PM
i once tried getting XP theme for vista but ended up finding *cry* Vista theme for XP /eew

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 20, 2009, 11:03 PM
So now I have this abominable abortion cobbled together via looking for sol.exe and cards.dll on google that consists of what's apparently the French version of 2000's sol.exe and some guy's version of cards.dll that uses the Windows Vista 'seasons' card artwork. Which is weird as shit all in all but DGAF it's fucking non-shit solitaire.
Time to buy a Netbook w/ XP just for Solitaire.

Whip it out, screen open unfold and get busy. In public places.

Also install your .dll in the .bfg over .abc so your PSO:Character Manager is not Gimped/Borken.