PDA

View Full Version : Avatar rules

ブルーベリー
Dec 16, 2009, 08:22 PM
The rules for the avatar suck though, may aswell just pick one from the list. ._.
I dont get it though because Ocean Prince has nothing to do with Phantasy Star.. yet..

<--------------

Sayara
Dec 16, 2009, 10:55 PM
The rules for the avatar suck though, may aswell just pick one from the list. ._.
I dont get it though because Ocean Prince has nothing to do with Phantasy Star.. yet..

<--------------

We then addded Sonic and SEGA game related content.
We had a few members obtain character art for the more recent Puyo Fever games. Given i weren't a mod, I'd probably be using Ocean Prince or Oshare myself.

ブルーベリー
Dec 18, 2009, 10:15 AM
We then addded Sonic and SEGA game related content.
We had a few members obtain character art for the more recent Puyo Fever games. Given i weren't a mod, I'd probably be using Ocean Prince or Oshare myself.

Being a mod doesnt allow you to change your pic, what o_O

Weeaboolits
Dec 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
Mods get a unique avatar.

Dhylec
Being a mod doesnt allow you to change your pic, what o_O
A custom avatar is your privilege - you earned it. So, if you don't want it anymore, just change. But, once you changed by yourself, you can't get the custom avatar back.
Mods might change his/her avatar once in a while. I keep mine since I became mod in 2003.

Volcompat321
He gets a custom one, why would he use one that everyone else could possibly have, I think the point was.

Sayara, give me a custom avatar, please. :wacko:

Outrider
Dec 18, 2009, 12:00 PM
He gets a custom one, why would he use one that everyone else could possibly have, I think the point was.

Sayara, give me a custom avatar, please. :wacko:

Some of us earned our custom avatars.

(Or lucked into them. Same thing.)

Volcompat321
Dec 18, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yea, I know. :P
I'll get mine...some day.

CrimsomWolf
Dec 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
Some of us earned our custom avatars.

(Or lucked into them. Same thing.)

Because there always were, are and will be those, who are more equal than the others.

Ahhh, don't we just love that concept?

Volcompat321
Dec 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Because there always were, are and will be those, who are more equal than the others.

The concept of life, you mean?

CrimsomWolf
Dec 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well, the society we have today, at large.

Then again, nature's by itself is unfair, so I'm not complaining. At least, as long as I'm not on the "completely loosing" side of things.

astuarlen
Dec 18, 2009, 12:29 PM

I think the idea is that custom avatars are an excellent contest prize that doesn't cost anything more than a small upload.

Vanzazikon
Dec 18, 2009, 12:44 PM
Because there always were, are and will be those, who are more equal than the others.People can be more equal than others?

KodiaX987
Dec 18, 2009, 12:52 PM
c.f.: Custom Avatar Rules (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164441)

Q: Why aren't users allowed to have custom avatars?
A: There are three reasons. First, it simplifies the job of the moderators. Having a set of pre-approved avatars reduces the workload on the staff. Second, since this is a Phantasy Star fansite, we wanted to have a consistent theme for user avatars. All avatars are carefully reviewed to make sure they are related to a Phantasy Star or Sega game. Over the years, a gallery of over 1000 avatars has been built up. Third, custom avatars have always been a historical privilege. When the site was first created, the forum software did not support custom avatars and adding one required special attention by the administration. Since this was the case for a vast majority of the site's history, the site owners have not seen it fit to change the policy.

CrimsomWolf
Dec 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
That, and personally I think it's actually more convenient. Otherwise users would probably spend hours monthly looking for avatars.

@Vanz: Look up "Soviet Union" and "Stalin". Well, "Napoleon" can work too.

Zarode
Dec 18, 2009, 01:41 PM
Oh god, just get over it. If this was my forum, there would be no Avatars or Signatures unless you EARNED it or PAID for it. How's them "more fair" apples?

Nitro Vordex
Dec 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
If this was your forum, you'd be the only one here.

:wacko:

Outrider
Dec 18, 2009, 02:15 PM

Sounds like somebody has avatar envy.

Volcompat321
Dec 18, 2009, 02:37 PM

Agreed.

Adriano
Dec 18, 2009, 02:58 PM
@Vanz: Look up "Soviet Union" and "Stalin". Well, "Napoleon" can work too.

I think van was just making fun of how oxymoronical that phrase was. :wacko:

CrimsomWolf
Dec 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think van was just making fun of how oxymoronical that phrase was. :wacko:

BBBBUUUTTTTT ITTTTT'''SSSSS SSSSEEERRRRRIIIIIOOOOOUUUUSSSSSSSS.

That aside, I wonder if it's possible to submit non-Sega avatars.

Dhylec
Dec 18, 2009, 04:40 PM
That aside, I wonder if it's possible to submit non-Sega avatars.
Possible, if this site expands beyond PS & related Sega series. But don't hold your breath for it, ;3

Sayara
Dec 18, 2009, 06:59 PM
A custom avatar is your privilege - you earned it. So, if you don't want it anymore, just change. But, once you changed by yourself, you can't get the custom avatar back.
Mods might change his/her avatar once in a while. I keep mine since I became mod in 2003.
I was told i could never change it... Not that i'd want to.

Dhylec
Dec 18, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was told i could never change it... Not that i'd want to.
Well, of course, not on your first year. ;o

Zarode
Dec 18, 2009, 10:41 PM

And I'd be happy. :argh:

Nitro Vordex
Dec 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
At least here, you can hate people, and not just yourself. ;o

Volcompat321
Dec 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
And I'd be happy. :argh:
That would be the best forum, right?
Answering your own private messages to yourself, reading your own posts. Amazing.

At least here, you can hate people, and not just yourself. ;o

:p:o

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 18, 2009, 11:43 PM
ast gave me rounded edges, commissioned with an IOU perhaps.

But I've used up all my uploads/complaints, mead fomur mules.
-
Having more that have nothing to do with Phantasy Star is relieving how the avatar rules suck, right? That there are not others to use that aren't Phantasy Star?

Your profile page allows any kinda picture for your Avatar called Personal Picture over there. So its not the stone age here anymore. I don't even think you can report that picture with a simple click and complain!

-(You would have to do it with reporting the whole page and making note of the pic. And not being Phantasy Star related won't be accepted as a valid thing wrong with it! So go nuts with custom there, within reason. Like not everyone is a fan of some service.)

CupOfCoffee
Dec 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
I thought this was going to be about someone else who's annoyed that the movie Avatar is garnering almost unanimous praise despite the following facts:

- its title is in the deplorable Papyrus font
- its stupid CGI graphics are the talk of the internet town even though everyone knows that CGI peaked with, and should have been accordingly retired after, Toy Story in 1995 (or whenever that was)
- its ridiculously bad dialogue and bland story are being completely forgiven because the visuals, which still look fake, are the most technologically advanced thing ever created by mankind

Sadly, I was mistaken.

Anyway, I think the custom avatar situation at PSOW manages to be extremely cool because most of the people who won them won them through art contests--which, of course, translates into these artistic winners having an intuitive knack for choosing (or even creating!) visually pleasing avatars.

See? You've got the knack.
> astuarlen

Plus, it seems like there are some unwritten rules against ugly as shit animated gifs, horrible pictures of Sephiroth or Agent Smith, and other e-junk that spawns in the depths of 4chan or wherever else it is that the people who make lewd YouTube comments hang out.

Mike
Dec 19, 2009, 01:07 AM
You've got an entire signature space for being creative too.

thunder-ray
Dec 19, 2009, 01:11 AM
I dont have a avatar.....

Volcompat321
Dec 19, 2009, 01:24 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]I thought this was going to be about someone else who's annoyed that the movie Avatar is garnering almost unanimous praise despite the following facts:

- its title is in the deplorable Papyrus font
- its stupid CGI graphics are the talk of the internet town even though everyone knows that CGI peaked with, and should have been accordingly retired after, Toy Story in 1995 (or whenever that was)
- its ridiculously bad dialogue and bland story are being completely forgiven because the visuals, which still look fake, are the most technologically advanced thing ever created by mankind

Sadly, I was mistaken.

Anyway, I think the custom avatar situation at PSOW manages to be extremely cool because most of the people who won them won them through art contests--which, of course, translates into these artistic winners having an intuitive knack for choosing (or even creating!) visually pleasing avatars.

See? You've got the knack.
> astuarlen

Plus, it seems like there are some unwritten rules against ugly as shit animated gifs, horrible pictures of Sephiroth or Agent Smith, and other e-junk that spawns in the depths of 4chan or wherever else it is that the people who make lewd YouTube comments hang out.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Hello Mr. Cup.
I like the new sig.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 19, 2009, 01:35 AM
Well thanks mate! I decided it was time for a new sig, but my tablet was all the way over there, so I just laid on the bed with the laptop on my stomach and drew squares with the crappy touch pad.

Zarode
Dec 19, 2009, 04:06 AM
I, too, changed my sig. It's so fab.

Delete
Dec 19, 2009, 08:23 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thought you were talking about the Avatar movie lol. Thank God you weren't :)

Kylie
Dec 20, 2009, 06:21 PM
I hated it at first, but it's something I got used to. However, I would love to subject you to my Lady GaGa obsession.

Epically Leet
Dec 20, 2009, 08:49 PM
I dont have a avatar.....

Neither do I...

...I have an avatar.

Outrider
Dec 21, 2009, 11:48 AM
However, I would love to subject you to my Lady GaGa obsession.

That is - thankfully - the other reason we can't have custom avatars.

Dhylec
Dec 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
I hated it at first, but it's something I got used to. However, I would love to subject you to my Lady GaGa obsession.
Of course, you are free to do that in your profile. We do not stop users from using reasonable custom avatars there.