PDA

View Full Version : Hey That feeling...(To PSO Vets with love)

DreXxiN
Dec 20, 2009, 04:31 AM
Anyone miss it? Anyone that played PSODC and GC know what I'm talking about..

..Or maybe I'm just crazy..

PSO just used to have this epic feel to it, and while it's still a great game by itself, BB is not satisfactory, even though it's logically better in every way to GC and DC.

Actually, no game has given me the same feeling of endearment (and addiction of course to a degree :P) as PSO on Dreamcast and Gamecube (with the minor exception of PSU's early days in v1..but even then that's not close to what GC/DC offered).

Maybe it's the firmer attachment to your character (You cared more because you had to be more secure...NOLing/FSODing in DC/GC, Item thievary in DC), instead of now where it's like "Cool, I'm filling out this character for this purpose." No real attachment there. I have to rule out "community" too since I have people I love in all the games I play (pretty much the reason WHY I play them.)

..Though I suppose the strongest probability is that I'm simply growing up.. and I've just aged over that "phase." It seems less like an imaginary fantasy world I can just disappear into and more of just "something to do that's a lot of fun."

So am I just crazy, or can anyone else relate to this? Even with the responsiblities of a career-bound student and full time worker, I yearn to find another game that fills in that "void of passion" (sorry to sound creepy) that PSO once filled.

/drama

Anti-Phoenix
Dec 20, 2009, 04:50 AM
I miss PSOGC all the time. I'm like too busy with school work I can't even play. I understand what your saying and I don't think your crazy. We all had the same feelings that one time, got the game played it for like thousands of hours and finally not play it because we're grown up.

Nothing lasts forever and I don't think we'll find another game that will fill in that "void of passion"

HeartBreak301
Dec 20, 2009, 05:09 AM
I still play my GC version occasionally, BB is addicting as hell now that I'm finally experiencing the game online, I will say 2 things I miss about the GC version, they amazing water effects (for a GC title) and the GC font (inorite?). I will say that I miss splitscreening with my friends on the GC, they seem to have moved on to other things when it was them who got me into PSO in the first place. Damn you Halo and CoD... stealing my friends when I don't have LIVE? Bastard...

Dragwind
Dec 20, 2009, 09:18 AM
I completely understand that feeling. The last ounce of attachment I had to a video game character was in fact, my PSU characters. All MMOs or RPGs I've played since then (even my 70 and 80 WoW characters, PS:P, PSZ, and other free MMOs) characters mean next to nothing to me, aside from the hours I put into them.

Speaking of FSOD/BSOD...oh the painful bittersweet memories. I was much more tolerant when I was younger. I corrupted 170+ characters on PSOGC numerous times thanks to the likes of numerous script kiddies and FSODers, yet continued to play and level them over and over. Today, I wouldn't bother at all playing again if that happened.

I still have both my PSOGC and PSOGC+ copies laying right next to my Wii and Gamecube, along with my PSOv.1 disc sitting next to my DC. Sometimes I merely look at the discs or cases, and get a rush of memories mainly due to the people I once played with and still remember. Thankfully I still have a buddy IRL that constantly pushes me to play PSOGC split-screen to relive some of that nostalgia.

I agree with you though on PSO:BB. It's superior in near every way, but somewhere along the line it lost it's charm for me.

Volcompat321
Dec 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
I didn't have the privilege of having these memories.
I honestly didn't even know that Phantasy Star was until PSUv.1.
Guess I lived a sheltered life when it came to good games.

After I played PSU for a year or so, a friend of mine was playing PSO:GC, so I was like "dude, that's kinda like PSU :o".
He replied with "Are you kidding me? PSU looks like THIS!!".

Then he told me it goes split screen, so I started playing.
At first, because I switched from PSU to PSO, the camera was OMG SHITTY!
But after a while, I began to love the game.

Now, I play PSO more than I play PSU (mainly because BB is free...).
Even with my gimped idea of PSO, there really is nothing like playing some PSO with some friends.
At times, I really think it is better than PSU.

Meyfei
Dec 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm just copy-pasting things i wanna comment on :D
No NOLing/FSODing in DC/GC
PSO just used to have this epic feel to it, and while it's still a great game by itself, BB is not satisfactory.
GC version, they amazing water effects (Me: Jungle water is my favorite the white ground + shiny water combo was perfect!) and the GC font (Me: Damn straight! Nothing says "SPECIAL WEAPON" better).

characters mean next to nothing to me, aside from the hours I put into them. (To me, my 1Numbskull account on runescape, i had it ever sence i first started bout 6-7 years ago, after countless account steals, hacks, on and on, and even a perminant mute i still have him, and oddly the mute was quashed. I guess its more of the, age of the account rather than the time i put in it, atleast for me to this one. I too feel the same away about the time and effort i put into my other characters as well.)

DreXxiN
Dec 20, 2009, 06:38 PM
At times, I really think it is better than PSU.

Yeah, I have to play BB in much smaller doses than I used to though. I could never stop playing PSO when I was younger. :lol:

Vanzazikon
Dec 20, 2009, 06:55 PM
I too get that feeling of nostalgia from PSOGC. I guess it's because I split screen multiplayed with my siblings all the time. Even though I never played online on the official servers, I still had a great PSO experience offline.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
BB is not logic in the EXP on death penalty. That's SEGA server, continue to be billed logic, not good gaming heyday logic.

I said in some wacky rant PSZ is less cyberpunk than PSO. Not the same.

I wanted to check out some of my memory card slumbering Gamecewb characters, even the unfortunate guys on a MADCATZZZ 3rd party one the other day after reading a few old topics around here. Been rotating between PS2 games I haven't played yet though.

Tetsaru
Dec 21, 2009, 03:24 AM
Drexxin, I feel exactly the same way man. I had several friends who played PSO Gamecube with me, but I only got to play offline, even though one of my friends did and gave a bunch of items and showed us how to dupe and stuff. :razz: It was fun as hell, even with all the corrupted character files we ended up with from moving them onto each other's memory cards and back.

The idealist in me really hopes that someday, Sega will come to their senses and make a good, modern online Phantasy Star game that rekindle that excitement of the old PSO... but the realist in me says that I've grown up since then, and Sega's reputation is just going to keep getting worse so long as they keep making disappointing games and taking characters like Sonic out of his environment. I have yet to play PSZ or PSP2 (probably won't until it comes out here in the US, at least... a friend of mine downloaded the JPN version on his PSP and promptly deleted it about half an hour in after seeing the cliched anime storyline and complete copy/pasta of old PSU levels), and Project Needlemouse has me curious, but I just can't get my hopes up anymore, because with the way thing are going now, I know they'll just get shattered later.

They just don't make games like they used to, I guess. :disapprove:

VR-Raiden
Dec 21, 2009, 03:47 AM
Definitely know the feeling. EP3 included.

DreXxiN
Dec 21, 2009, 03:54 AM
Tetsaru, while I appreciate your input I don't think you're understand the point, lol.

It's not even about the quality of the games. I stated that BB is pretty much an improved version of the console version (except for a few nick-nack's in graphics) and even though logically better, I don't get the same kind of enjoyment out of them.

Tetsaru
Dec 21, 2009, 05:12 AM
Tetsaru, while I appreciate your input I don't think you're understand the point, lol.

It's not even about the quality of the games. I stated that BB is pretty much an improved version of the console version (except for a few nick-nack's in graphics) and even though logically better, I don't get the same kind of enjoyment out of them.

Trust me man, I understand... just perhaps from a different viewpoint.

Back when PSO was first coming out, Sega advertised and hyped the SHIT out of it, and for good reason - it was one of the first RPG games that involved intensive character growth and item hunting that you could play ON A NON-PC CONSOLE, of all things, ONLINE... not to mention, the cyberpunk/steampunk anime themes were really catching on from Japan at the time, thanks to films like Ghost in the Shell and Akira starting to show up in the US, so playing an RPG with robot-like characters that wielded laser guns was pretty revolutionary, compared to the old Western D&D style elves and dwarves and swords-and-sorcery stuff (though it's obvious that D&D pretty much INVENTED the RPG genre and even PSO follows some of its elements).

Nowadays, this trend has become mainstream - games like Fallout 3, Borderlands, even the newer Final Fantasy games are, in some ways, reflections of this. Most gamers can tell the difference between a Japanese RPG game and a Western RPG game. At this point, companies like Sega and Nintendo have been struggling lately because they're trying to churn out so many new ideas that just aren't clicking with many gamers nowadays, mainly because there just isn't a heavy influence of other media to go along with it and make it seem like a big deal - it's either hit or miss.

Right now, the question these companies should be asking themselves is: should we risk putting money into radical new ideas that may turn into a gimmick or a revolutionary gaming sensation, or should we stick to the same ideas that gamers are familiar and comfortable with, while risking them getting bored more easily? Almost like a conservative vs. liberal view, if you will. :wacko:

DreXxiN
Dec 21, 2009, 05:20 AM
Aside from the Western and Japanese RPG example (to an extent), I agree on just about everything.

It's true, it's strongly probable that these ideas just aren't revolutionary or new anymore and these things are just getting old. I'd say "Borderlands" should have engrossed me too by that logic, though...but I guess it's the environment that might have been the big hitter.

Gah, I really just don't know enough to understand why I can't share the same love I had for games back in the day, I'm beginning to believe it's just from growing up. XD

Outrider
Dec 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the fact that you all have hundreds of hours of playtime in PSO-style games that you didn't have years ago.

Nothing makes a game feel less fresh than having tons of experience with something very similar.

But to just talk about PSO - I've had few experiences as fun as playing PSO split-screen with my brother. There was a period of about a year where we would play regularly every week. It was a ton of fun, and I remember it fondly as one of my favorite gaming moments.

Meyfei
Dec 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
Sometimes i wish i'd wake up one morning, with NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL about the games i currently own so i can Fully re-enjoy their fun qualities.

Like, to forget everything about PSO, except for it's name, and the type of game it is, would mean to play it for the first time all over again, and enjoy it. /dreaming/wish.

Honestly, even though it was fun, i kinda ruined my play experience offline. I played so i could best my friend but ended up deleting my character for some unknown reason one day. but I never had anyone to play with so, it was like Just constant soloing, i got no friends who are interested in player PSOGC multimode. except one but as i said, no interest (In anything fun at all, except over playing new games for a month: his current spam is Mario for the wii)

Outrider
Dec 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
Sometimes i wish i'd wake up one morning, with NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL about the games i currently own so i can Fully re-enjoy their fun qualities.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Uld2IE7SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

DreXxiN
Dec 21, 2009, 06:59 PM

I can attest to this being awesome.

Lance813
Dec 21, 2009, 08:06 PM
I will never have the feeling of being a lvl 17 HUcast finding his first set of Thunder Knives and thinking them the best weapon in the game ever again.

I played PSO growing up through middle school everyday with my two best friends. Then one finally got online. My shit was wrecked. I loved it. I got online and played at least 4 hours a day.

Seeing that "Special Weapon" was the most... how do i say.. OMG OMG OMG OMG moment of my life. The game just breeds nostalgia.

Fuck, I would give tons to go back to those days where my friends and I would skip school to play PSO.

Zelda makes me feel like that too. But PSO gets my head back in the past.

That shit was the epitome of my childhood.

DreXxiN
Dec 21, 2009, 10:26 PM
XD. Amen.

Hatrix
Dec 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
I remember the first times I played it for DC & GC, On DC went online immediately seen all the people in the lobbies and was like how do I play this game!? lolz Some one was kind enough to take me through forest and I was pretty much hooked! Then GC I remade my main character and was so psyched about it. The visuals were so crisp it just felt awsome. Yeah that was the shit, even Ep.3 had me going until the servers were gone.