PDA

View Full Version : Worth it?

007monkeyman
Dec 28, 2009, 10:32 PM
Is this game worth buying for the Xbox? I have PS0 for the DS and I love it. I'm pretty sure I'd like it, but I've heard that you have to pay $10 a month to play it. Is this true? And on GameSpot it got a very low score. If you don't have to pay the $10 a month I'm probably gonna get it if you guys say its good.

Vyr
Dec 28, 2009, 10:45 PM
You have to pay 10 bucks a month if it's for the PS2/PC servers, but I *think* (not 100% certain) it's different for the Xbox servers. Like if you have XboxLive Gold it's free or something.

007monkeyman
Dec 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
That would make sense. I'll keep lookin for info online

neilp4453
Dec 29, 2009, 04:36 AM
It is 9.99 for xbox too.

It is a fun game...as long as updates keep coming. Sega sucks at that aspect though.
The single player aspect is really bad though.

007monkeyman
Dec 29, 2009, 12:42 PM
But is the monthly payment needed? Like if I didn't want the updates would I still have to pay?

neilp4453
Dec 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
Right now, it is required.

Down the road, I believe they will let players play for free with limited functionality. This is when our huge supplemental update hits (we are really behind on updates so it could take a while to get it).

Pob
Dec 29, 2009, 03:52 PM
Right now, it is required.

Down the road, I believe they will let players play for free with limited functionality. This is when our huge supplemental update hits (we are really behind on updates so it could take a while to get it).

Supplemental update is not, and never has been, designed for the 360. It's JP PC/PS2 only.

Whether it is released on the non-JP PC/PS2 servers is unknown, but it's unlikely considering only about 10 people play any more.

Volcompat321
Dec 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
Not if you have to ask.

Max B
Dec 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
(we are really behind on updates so it could take a while to get it).
How are we behind when there was never a clear content list?
And there was never dates for said content.

SuperRygar
Dec 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
its a very fun game, must more action that PS0. but id say its too late for you to fully enjoy the game. a lot of people got fed up with the lack of updates and have quit. so you won't find many players online.

upside: your joining after 3 years so you get 3 years of content
downside: you'l be playing most missions by yourself

Keilyn
Dec 29, 2009, 08:38 PM
If you do pay $10, at least do the story mode and Episode III

007monkeyman
Dec 29, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hmm, I don't think I'll be getting it. I was hoping it would be everything PS0 is plus everything it should have been but they couldn't put in a DS game (Like better character customization, more weapons, better graphics).

neilp4453
Dec 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
How are we behind when there was never a clear content list?
And there was never dates for said content.

We are behind Japan. I win. :D

Supplemental update is not, and never has been, designed for the 360. It's JP PC/PS2 only.

Whether it is released on the non-JP PC/PS2 servers is unknown, but it's unlikely considering only about 10 people play any more.

And how do you know that it hasn't been in development for the local servers? You are right, it might never come around to the local servers...but I find it unlikely. There has never been an official annoucement that the local servers will not be getting it.

I think it is more likely we will get it. There is still a strong 360 population.

SuperRygar
Dec 30, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hmm, I don't think I'll be getting it. I was hoping it would be everything PS0 is plus everything it should have been but they couldn't put in a DS game (Like better character customization, more weapons, better graphics).

PSzero is like PSO and PSU is based on PSO so technically PSU is everything PSzero is plus the customization and graphics. really, PSzero is everything PSO was plus a few things borrowed from PSU(photon arts). PSU just doesnt have a large population, but PSzero is new so its going to be popular for a little while. i personally got very sick of PSzero because for some reason my game refuses to give me rares >( no joke...i get NOTHING

Tomeeboy
Dec 30, 2009, 05:06 PM

I don't think you're the only one who has been introduced to the franchise by the recent hand-held Phantasy Star titles. There are likely others picking up the older games for the first time as well.

I probably would not rely too much on reviews when it comes to the Phantasy Star games, as most major gaming sites don't do a very good job of covering them (seen many Phantasy Star Zero reviews?)

If you think Phantasy Star Universe is a game you might possibly enjoy, I'd recommend trying to pick up a cheap copy somewhere, or perhaps renting it from a service like Gamefly (http://www.pso-world.com/link.php?d=gamefly). You can get a good feel for the gameplay, graphics, etc. without paying the monthly fee to play online. There's a fairly lengthy offline story mode and you should at least try it out and see what you think.