PDA

View Full Version : Sega/Nintendo, Why? (nintendo items).

Ryoki
Dec 29, 2009, 01:43 AM
WHY in the heck would they make the Hylian Shield, Power Beam, and Warp Pipe unobtainable in the US Version!?!? Three iconic games in the US as well as japan.

Instead, we get Selvaria's shield/spear and Blade Cannon?! I don't even know what these are a reference to!

Shame on you, SEGA and/or Nintendo. It's ok to leave out some things, but not things you KNOW your rabid US fans will love.

Anyways, people, I want your opinions...Why do you think they took these out? Because I can only see these being in-game helping the game sell better.

pso_crash
Dec 29, 2009, 01:50 AM
Yea, we really got burned on the vending machine.

matdrg1
Dec 29, 2009, 01:57 AM
what really sucks is they change all the game consoles into magazines like the DS into Nintendo Power

pso_crash
Dec 29, 2009, 02:30 AM
you could fight with a DS? I didn't know that. bleh

Anzo
Dec 29, 2009, 03:05 AM
THAT SUCKED! I would so fight with the Arm Cannon and the Hylian Sheild

Jeefa
Dec 29, 2009, 03:15 AM
I like the spear and shield but i agree we got ripped. Selvaria's weapons are from a PS3 game called Valkyria chronicles... a great game btw... still... DS as a weapon? Hylean sheild? omg why couldnt we get those too...

xSHiNOx
Dec 29, 2009, 04:15 AM
there was no ds weapon. hylian shield, samus arm cannon, green and yellow warp pipes we did not get in american version. why? sega just gave us a middle finger. thats why

Anzo
Dec 29, 2009, 04:34 AM
DAMN YOU SEGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Epically Leet
Dec 29, 2009, 06:49 AM
I didn't know about this.

;_;

Raxxon_Ironis
Dec 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
I was never really a huge fan of the other-game-reference weapons, but I know I'm probably alone in that opinion.

I thought I'd heard something about some of them being present in PSZ, just under generic names? Maybe it was that if you traded one from the JP version, it would change the name but the appearance would stay the same.

That being said, there really was no reason to rob US players of the novelty, unless there's some obscure copyright difference between there and here. I can't imagine, honestly.

Yuicihi
Dec 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
Haha, wow. Segac.

I honestly can't think of a reason as to why they would remove them, unless NoA said to remove them for some bizarre reasoning.

PwNeR
Dec 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
Sega always did this.

If you need evidence just check PSOBB or PSU.
There was always exclusive stuff for Japan that we didn't get stateside.

NeoMatrix
Dec 29, 2009, 03:23 PM
As has been mentioned before, it probably comes down to licensing rights. The laws in Japan are a bit more lax in the areas of licensing and copyright, so they tend to be able to do things like put nintendo weapons into a sega game, make games like Jump Ultimate Stars that combine so many different franchises, etc...

To clarify, the stats of all vending machine items remain the same whether you are using the japanese or us version of the game. however, items like the beam cannon, when traded from a japan to a us game, have their name, description, and weapon model changed. As an example, the Power Beam is given the Kleingold handgun model when traded to the US game.

Also, as an aside (and i'm only putting this out here for information's sake), for anyone that happens to be playing an "unofficial" version of the game, there is a rather intriguing japanese dub patch out there for the US game that does 3 key things, and only those things to the game:
1, the title movie's music is changed back to the original japanese vocal opening.
2, the character and npc voices are changed to the japanese voice samples.
And 3, (the reason why I'm mentioning all this here), all US weapon models are replaced with the Japanese weapon models, meaning, all the vending machine items once again look like they should. ie, you have a US game with a Power Beam gun that looks like the Power Beam. However, weapon names and descriptions remain generic.

Anyway, that's enough on that. I think this should cover all aspects of the vending machine items and their changes from japan to the us pretty well.

Dhylec
Dec 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
I didn't know about this.

;_;
There are also a number of non-Nintendo items didn't make it. You can check the Weapon gallery to see more.
http://www.pso-world.com/psz-weapons-gallery.php

Tails_night
Dec 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
Eh its typical localization suckiness, what can i say, if you've been an avid fan of most games from companies like nintendo, sega, crapcom, etc. They always remove one thing or another in the us localization that numerous fans would enjoy.

Browny
Dec 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
If they knew the items were gonna be taken out during translation, why did they place them in the Japanese version in the first place?

Jaspaller
Dec 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, the Power Beam and Hylian Shield look pretty awesome.

So the models were completely replaced or are they still sitting in the game data somewhere?

Sinue_v2
Dec 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Sega made up for all of that with Bayonetta. I've come to expect shit sandwiches in regards to Sonic Team and Phantasy Star. The real question is... why are those fartknockers still in charge of Sega's top RPG franchise when they can't even get a SONIC game right?

I'm more concerned with their expectantly poor performance being contrasted by the occasional "raped by pure concentrated WIN" release creating some kind of bi-polar love/hate disorder emerging thanks to them.