PDA

View Full Version : Im new to PSU!

Rainz4dayz
Jan 5, 2010, 05:04 PM
Today i got the first Phantasy Star Universe for my PS2. I've just gotten to the part where i just meet karen my partner.
I have some questions.

1.Is the story mode really short?

2.In extra mode(offline)can i create my own avatar?

3.Is this game really hard like 10x harder then ff 12?

4.Can i play online by plugging in a broadband internet cable?

5.How much is online play?

And the final question!!!!

6.What is the max level and how long does it take to get to the max level?

Please and Thank you!

-Rainz

Smidge204
Jan 5, 2010, 05:20 PM
> 1.Is the story mode really short?

If it weren't for the unskippable dialog, I'd say offline story mode is about 5 hours worth of play. The first half of online mode's story missions (aka "Episode 2") is exactly the same.

> 2.In extra mode(offline)can i create my own avatar?

Yes, you can customize your character upon creation both online and off. BUT offline and online modes are completely separate games - characters, items, etc. are independent of each other.

> 3.Is this game really hard like 10x harder then ff 12?

Never played FF12 so... I don't consider the game very hard overall. It has its moments but there's not a lot of talent needed to get stacks of cash and rare weapons and high level characters...

> 4.Can i play online by plugging in a broadband internet cable?

Presumably? online play requires an internet connection, so....

> 5.How much is online play?

$10/mo with recurring subscription, or a little bit more if you buy 3 months worth at a time non-recurring. Your online character is not deleted if you let your subscription lapse, but there is no policy that I know of that GUARANTEES it'll stay there. I guess they just delete old accounts when they need room or something...

> 6.What is the max level and how long does it take to get to the max level?

Currently the max level is 170 online, with job level 20. The character level cap is periodically raised - it was like 140 a year ago.

=Smidge=

NiceOnes
Jan 5, 2010, 05:22 PM
Depends how you play... I think the level cap could potentially be reached within 200 hours?....

Rainz4dayz
Jan 5, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you! (: and when you say max level is 170 (online) that means its different for offline?

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jan 5, 2010, 05:41 PM
> 1.Is the story mode really short?

> 5.How much is online play?

$10/mo with recurring subscription, or a little bit more if you buy 3 months worth at a time non-recurring. Your online character is not deleted if you let your subscription lapse, but there is no policy that I know of that GUARANTEES it'll stay there. I guess they just delete old accounts when they need room or something...

=Smidge=

Are you playing somewhere that isn't America perhaps? My options are $10 for thirty days or $50 for 180 days. I dont have a 3 month option.

SuperRygar
Jan 5, 2010, 05:45 PM
The offline game is VERY different. Online you get more than 3 job classes and item drops are different...i dont even know what else because i've never played offline. the end level cap is 200 but online they only release things slowly. so every once and a while they up the level cap by 10. and yes, you just plug in the internet to your ps2. as long as you have a network connection set up you'l be able to connect. you can do that in game when you go into online mode. ps2 does have lag issues though, i dealt with it for 3 years. when your switching between weapons for the first time in a map it takes like 10 seconds sometimes. i recently started playing on PC and there's no comparison...so fast on PC. but sometimes you gotta use what you have ^.^ oh and be careful who you listen to. there's a lot of negative people who will tell you not to play online because its empty. it is pretty empty...but that shouldnt stop you from trying it out

Rainz4dayz
Jan 5, 2010, 05:50 PM
how do i play for online for ps2?

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jan 5, 2010, 05:57 PM
Register here to get started.

https://www.psu-billing.com/

You'll need an ethernet cable (or something) to get online with your ps2 of course.

Rainz4dayz
Jan 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thnx In extra mode (offline,because i cant play online.) Is the a limited number of missions i can do. And what is the best weapon in offline.

Smidge204
Jan 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
Are you playing somewhere that isn't America perhaps? My options are $10 for thirty days or $50 for 180 days. I don't have a 3 month option.

Okay, maybe it was 6 months instead of 3... I don't use that option so I'm doing this from memory.

Checking the billing site just now, I'm paying $9.99 for 30 days recurring with an option to switch to $49.95 for 180 days without non-rebill. The recurring subscription works out to an extra $20/year.
=Smidge=

xxmadplayerxx
Jan 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
to get to lvl 170 it would take atleast 1000hrs+ if you where on your own. but with a full party every mission i would say 500hrs+.

Deragonite
Jan 5, 2010, 07:14 PM
You can probably get to level 180 in about 200 hours with an event.

Smidge204
Jan 5, 2010, 08:02 PM
My main reached 170 just a few days ago and has 1670 hours logged. I can guarantee that at least 25% of that is standing around doing nothing while I was called AFK... sometimes even overnight or while I was at work 'cause I'd not bother to log out.

My second char is at 112 with only 370 hours.

Reaching level 170 in 1000 hours is perfectly doable and a good estimate IMHO.

Edit: The EXP boost for events varies. For example, Charged Puzzle has a 2x EXP rate, whereas World of Illusion α has a 5x rate (But you needed to spam Charged Puzzle to get tickets for that one...). Rare free missions are 5x. MAG has 2.5x (and presumably MAG+ will be the same?) So yeah, expect only about a 2x increase during events. Still helpful!
=Smidge=

Keilyn
Jan 5, 2010, 11:22 PM
When STD came out, I think we had level 160 cap there, not sure.....I remember going from Level 1 to Cap in 96 - 97 hours as my female Cast. ^_^

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 04:54 PM
Idk Which char. type to choose.... Either newman or cast

Zeek123
Jan 6, 2010, 05:05 PM
If you like the game enough, you should consider getting its expansion, Ambition of the Illuminus. Anyone who wants to play online should get it.

But to be honest, don't play online on the PS2. Get it on PC. The server is shared with the PC market. And I wouldn't really recommend that if you have an Xbox 360.

Get it on 360 if you own one. Get it on PC if you don't.

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 05:08 PM
The computer im using isn't mine. I use my brother's comp because mine crashed. So i can't play it on the PC....so just the ps2 for now(:

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 6, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm new to PSU too!

Dhylec
Jan 6, 2010, 06:21 PM
I'm new to PSU too!
Oh ya? Care to explain that?

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 06:43 PM
Whoa? Whats up Dhylec?

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 6, 2010, 07:00 PM
Dhylec caught me fibbing!

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
ahh.. i could tell you weren't new because of Posts(:

SuperRygar
Jan 6, 2010, 07:10 PM
ahh.. i could tell you weren't new because of Posts(:

well this website is home to more than just PSU, so it's not impossible for someone to have over 1000 posts and have never played PSU

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 07:16 PM
ooh ok i thought this was just about pso and psu.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 6, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, PSO did come out 9 years ago...

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 07:36 PM
oOo I didn't know that. I just got it yesterday:P its an awesome game. From what i heard it seems even greater(:

Dhylec
Jan 6, 2010, 08:42 PM
oOo I didn't know that. I just got it yesterday:P its an awesome game. From what i heard it seems even greater(:
Now ya know, but don't get mix up between PSO (Online) & PS0 (Zero). ;]

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
Aahh Thnx for the tip (:

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
You mean they're not the same?!

Rainz4dayz
Jan 6, 2010, 08:53 PM
huhh...? They are different games aren't they?

Zeek123
Jan 7, 2010, 01:08 PM
You mean they're not the same?!

Lol. You're such a tease.

PS0 (Zero), or PSZ I say to avoid confusion, is a DS game that's kind of like the next step up from PSO (Online) that everyone expected from PSU. The only problem is that it's on the DS...

I hear that a lot of people still like it, but that the DS wasn't the best choice for an MMO.

SuperRygar
Jan 7, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've never seen such confusion presented to a newcomer u.u for shame..

Phantasy Star Online - PSO
Phantasy Star Universe - PSU
Phantasy Star Zero - PS0 / PSZ

PSO was on dreamcast, then gamecube, and PC with Blue Burst. That's coming on 10 years old

PSU was a sequel of sorts, its been out for 3~ years

PSZ is on DS and looks like shit but is fun to play for a few hours for that old PSO feel

This website was created for PSO (pso-world) then when PSU came out they hosted info on here, and now PSZ is hosted here.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 7, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm getting 20 dollars for 60 days here. Maybe its diffrent for each country?

xxmadplayerxx
Jan 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm getting 20 dollars for 60 days here. Maybe its diffrent for each country?

me too i think they should change the price outside of US due to the fluctuating economy. I always get charged 18.99 for 1month. :(

Rainz4dayz
Jan 9, 2010, 03:13 PM
ahh anyways How many Chapters are in The story mode?

Anon_Fire
Jan 9, 2010, 04:02 PM
ahh anyways How many Chapters are in The story mode?

12 Chapters in Episode 1 (PSU Offline)
10 Chapters in Episode 2 (AOTI Offline and Online)
8 Chapters in Episode 3 (AOTI Online only)