PDA

View Full Version : Fan Art Iruka's Pixels

irukandjisyndrome
Jan 11, 2010, 03:32 AM
Hi! This is a topic for my small collection of PS-related pixel art.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2w2pr9y.gif http://i48.tinypic.com/29bi9y.gif

These are two pixels I did for a friend of mine of their FOnewm, Parnen. The one on the left is older than the one on the right.

http://i46.tinypic.com/30bgwph.png

This is a pixel I did of my PSPo2 character, Meira.

Aaand that's all for now.

Volcompat321
Jan 11, 2010, 06:26 AM
How do you make pixel art?
You literally draw it in, pixel by pixel? :o
Sounds tedious of that's how.
Not bad though, I like it!

irukandjisyndrome
Jan 11, 2010, 06:53 AM
How do you make pixel art?
You literally draw it in, pixel by pixel? :o
Sounds tedious of that's how.
Not bad though, I like it!

Yes, that's how it's done. Though I use the flood fill tool and bigger brushes sometimes, or sometimes make a quick pixelated sketch then clean up the lines from there, etc. There are methods to make it easier and it's really not as tedious as it sounds with enough practice. The pixel of Meira (my pspo2 character) that I posted took roundabout 2 and a half hours to make from scratch, with breaks.

When you're first starting out it may take a while, but you develop quick hands for that sort of thing, and it's not really tedious to me - I get a bit absorbed in it and can work for long periods of time on pixel art without even thinking about it. It's something you're doing with your hands so your mind kind of drifts away from it. :P

Thank you.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
Pixel art seems like a fading artform. With games moving away from using sprites, and into 3D modeling, I'm thinking that tile mosaics are really the only remaining application for it. Even web browsers don't offer the critical options for manipulating pixel art, that they once did.

This is good work you've done here. Keep it up.

Out of curiosity, how did you settle on the name, "Meira"?

irukandjisyndrome
Jan 11, 2010, 04:48 PM
Pixel art seems like a fading artform. With games moving away from using sprites, and into 3D modeling, I'm thinking that tile mosaics are really the only remaining application for it. Even web browsers don't offer the critical options for manipulating pixel art, that they once did.

This is good work you've done here. Keep it up.

Out of curiosity, how did you settle on the name, "Meira"?

I agree, we've definitely seen a decrease in the 'necessity' of pixel art in video games as people head towards 3D on many platforms. However, there's still some applications - mobile phones tend to not be able to support that kind of intensive 3D (I assume if they can it tends to look like butt) so many mobile phone games are pixelated, and there's several good Nintendo DS games that incorporate the artform. It's also used in many indie games.

Fortunately the artform has enough supporters on sites like Pixel Joint (http://pixeljoint.com/) that it won't die out anytime soon. :)

Haha, I bet I look like I stole your name now! It really is a coincidence - I hadn't even stepped on these forums when I chose it, I swear... I was playing around with M-sounding names in the name creator (I'd already chosen Mania for my FOnewearl), and came up with メイラ, or Meira. It sounded sort of like Moira to me with a prettier sound.

For people who want to see my non-PS pixel art, I've stuck a link to my deviantART in my signature.

Z-735
Jan 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
I wish I knew how to do pixel art lol. Is there a certain computer program or something?

irukandjisyndrome
Jan 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
I wish I knew how to do pixel art lol. Is there a certain computer program or something?

Pixel art is unique in that it can be done with nearly any graphics program, even MS Paint. All you have to do is zoom in and use a 1 pixel wide brush to slowly build shapes and color them, pixel by pixel.

There's tutorials on it if you google around, and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it - just takes practice. :)

Z-735
Jan 11, 2010, 06:38 PM
Eww practice lol. Right now im doing a pencil sketch/shading of Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. So far so good lol. I'll post it whenever I finish it XD

Mimo
Jan 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
wow neato, i should try pixel art sometime. great work! :D

Z-735
Jan 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Pixel art sounds tedious but it must be very fun and rewarding XD

irukandjisyndrome
Jan 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
It's like any other artform. All it takes is time and effort. :) If you have a prior artistic background it's even easier, due to a pre-existing knowledge of things like anatomy, building shapes, color theory, etc.