PDA

View Full Version : If I liked PSO would I like PSU?

Krank32oz
Jan 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
Yea I have been a die hard fan of pso since it came out in 2001 for the Sega dreamcast. I have had every game except PSU and haven't really looked into it too much. But ever since I have started playing PS zero I have had the urge to look into PSU more. This question goes out to all the old school PSO players. I just need more depth and game material then the ds version of PS and was wondering what other people had to say about or what their opinion of PSU was. Thanks for all the the help and hopefully see everyone soon.

Boxblaster
Jan 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yea I have been a die hard fan of pso since it came out in 2001 for the Sega dreamcast. I have had every game except PSU and haven't really looked into it too much. But ever since I have started playing PS zero I have had the urge to look into PSU more. This question goes out to all the old school PSO players. I just need more depth and game material then the ds version of PS and was wondering what other people had to say about or what their opinion of PSU was. Thanks for all the the help and hopefully see everyone soon.

In short: No. You might like it at first, but it does grow old quick. Not worth the $10 a month, in my opinion. Maybe get it and play it for the story mode, but move on to Phantasy Star Portable,or better yet, PSP2 if you can handle all the japanese (or wait for a US release).

Shou
Jan 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
If you have a PSP get it for that. You would probably find PSU to be very fun. SEGAC's stupidity and neglect toward our PSU servers mostly only affects players that have been playing for a while. Try it!

Krank32oz
Jan 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Really? Dang, have you played PSU extensively? And PSP is only for the PlayStation portable right? I was really hoping PSU would crave my desire. :-(

stinkyfish97
Jan 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
I agree dont get addicted to playing on ambitions. Just get addicted to the psp2 version its an overall better game at this point. Id stick with PSP version as well if I had a PSP still. :-( But I say give PSU a try at least, whos to say you wont find it fun. I still do but like I said I dont have any other options, I cant afford a PSP.

Pob
Jan 12, 2010, 04:23 PM

Hi,

I played PSO a lot (loved c-mode particularly), and have been on PSU since day one. You should have joined us then - it was great! Now, it's a ghost town, especially the PC/PS2 servers.

Try any of the offline versions (PC/PS2/360/PSP) to see if you like it. Maybe you'll be inspired to come online, but you'll have to hurry up while there are still a few people left!

stinkyfish97
Jan 12, 2010, 05:14 PM
If you want a more exclusive community of people who probably wont quit on you join PS2 most of the items on their are worth a bit more and are harder to get your hands on, obviously it is a smaller community so therefore the really rare items will be harder to find in player shops. If you want a consitently abusive and sometimes regretable community but youll always find someone to play with come join us on the 360 side. Yes there is more immature people on our servers unfortunatly, but youll find a handful of decent people like myself.

Im one of those straight up if you want the item that bad its yours kinda person. I play this game for fun not for oh look at this Im a greedy son of a bitch who doesnt share anything with nobody. There is still a few of us out there just kinda hard to find with all the young kids and immature high schoolers. I will say however I am looking for a red line and if it drops the first one I see is mine or at least you will have to split some of the bill for it. Ima at least expect some kind of compensation because I really do want one but Im not gonna fight to hard over it, if I see someone who wants it just that much more Id be willing to give it to them.

Krank32oz
Jan 13, 2010, 02:32 AM
Yea I was thinking about buying the 360 version since that has what i think is the bigger community. Less people aren't really an issue for me as long as there are some that are fun and cool to play with. I was just more concerned with the game play or mechanics and that I wouldn't like them as much if at all. But it looks like there are some solid players still online for the 360 so I might have to give it a try. I haven't even looked into the PSP version. And I can always cancel my hunter's license if the community starts to dive.

Sinikal
Jan 13, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Krank! I have played every single PS title out to date. They are all awesome but let me tell ya, PSU takes the trophy. (followed closely by PS Z)

I have a Lvl 101 CAST on PSU and ive been playing for about a year. Though the game does get repetitive running the same few missions over and over, the community is what makes it fun. I have never not had anyone join my groups for white beast no matter what time of day. There is a huge community on 360, always stuff to buy, always things to trade, always people running stuff. Overall PSU has a awesome community, minus the immature @$$holes that spam and use the "N" word thinking they are cool. The cool thing is a little option called a "Blacklist" U'll see.

There are no telepipes and you cant dupe your items but in my opinion PSU is better than PSO ;) I say you deffinately have to try the full game!

Neith
Jan 13, 2010, 12:49 PM
PSU is pretty different to PSO, so you won't necessarily like it if you liked PSO. My personal opinion is that PSOGC and PSOBB were much more fun than PSU to play, but PSU could be fun if it's all new to you.

Honestly though...I'd just either import PSP2 or wait for a release date for the US/EU version (provided you have a PSP, of course). It's a much better game than PSU has ever been. Unfortunately, PSU has been ruined by terrible communication between Sega Japan and America, fairly frequent billing problems/authentication servers failing and so on. As someone who's played since launch, the first year of the game was by FAR the best. Ever since Ambition of the Illuminus released, the game has gotten progressively easier, and much more boring.

If PSP2 isn't an option, then PSU should keep you amused for a while, but don't expect it to be as memorable as your times on PSO were. Final note- if you plan on playing PSU online, consider your server wisely. X360 has a lot more players- I don't know what the overall experience is like though. I play PC/PS2 (well, sort of), and I find the community is generally pretty good...assuming you can find anyone, because the game is very quiet now. I would still be playing PSO if I had anything left to do.

Overall PSU is decent, but a lot of people aren't playing now because updates are erratic (usually every 2-3 weeks, but occasionally it slips), and a lot of players are just sick of running the same missions we had in the game's first 1-2 years.

I hate saying PSU is a bad game, but I honestly can't recommend it to anyone. New players might get some enjoyment from it, but after a while it's easy to get bored.

ThePendragon
Jan 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
PSU is a million times better, but has a virtually non-existent community and plays completely different. So there is a very good chance you will never get into it.

Zeek123
Jan 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah you'll like PSU. But I doubt you'll fall in love with it.

Sadly, you really missed the boat on this one. Almost everyone's moved on.

Krank32oz
Jan 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah you'll like PSU. But I doubt you'll fall in love with it.

Sadly, you really missed the boat on this one. Almost everyone's moved on.

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I'm still probably going to try it out and if I hate it that much just cancel my license. I loved PSOGC sooooooooo much and I think anything ps will definitely feed the cravings till something new or better comes out. But I just found out today that UPS lost my 360 elite in the mail because it broke and I was sending it back for repairs. And now they tell me they don't have any tracking information and the repair center says they don't have it either. So it might be quite some time before I can get a new one or get my old one back:-(

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 14, 2010, 12:58 AM
Go ahead and give it a try. If you do, I hope you have an Xbox 360. Word is PC/PS2 is pretty barren lately. 360 has a full five-star universe again because of Dark God S2. Honestly, I think you'll enjoy PSU for a few months, at least. I think it's worth it even if you don't play it for as long as you probably did PSO. It's really late in its life, as well.

Zeek123
Jan 14, 2010, 01:07 AM
Well... if you're having Phantasy Star cravings... There's always the... you know server. The server we're not allowed to talk about but can be Googled just the same...

Professor Xavier
Jan 14, 2010, 04:20 AM
I had a write up on this one. Took way to long. Lost the whole thing due to taking to long. So I will give you the short short version!!

PSO was ground breaking. PSU was not. There both great and different!! Check out the IGN reviews below. Its a shame they don't revisit PSU for a new review! Its quite different now.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/683/683256.html

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/163/163022p1.html

Krank32oz
Jan 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
Well... if you're having Phantasy Star cravings... There's always the... you know server. The server we're not allowed to talk about but can be Googled just the same...

Whattt? I have no idea what you are talking about. Was it just a joke and i wasn't smart enough to figure it out? And yes I have a 360 so i will be playing it for that!

Zeek123
Jan 14, 2010, 04:36 PM
Whattt? I have no idea what you are talking about. Was it just a joke and i wasn't smart enough to figure it out? And yes I have a 360 so i will be playing it for that!

Nope. No joke. Ever heard of a private server? We're not allowed to name names, but there are two or three websites you can go to to download PSO:BlueBurst, and play it for free. There's a good community too.

stinkyfish97
Jan 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
If I like PSU, would I like PSO. I am talking about how it plays. I just like the weapons and hunting for them. I dont like synthing all that much, I dont like a lot about PSU except for the gameplay. I like lvling up moves, running missions to find rare items.

Do you think I would like PSO. I am serious before I download the game I want to make sure that I am going to like it. I have no idea what to expect, is there shops, sell me on why I should play PSO. Please give me some insight into what I have missed and what I am missing out on. BTW I probably will be playing on the PC.

Krank32oz
Jan 14, 2010, 08:59 PM
Dude PSO was magical. I spent so much time just messing around and doing nothing in PSO and it was still so much fun. As soon as I get my xbox back i will start playing PSU but from what everyone has told me PSOGC was by far the best pso to date. I had four lv 200's. Game play is fun, the maps are cool. Especially when they added the new ones in Episode two.

ashley50
Jan 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
you prolly won't like it if you're expecting the system to be PSO-like. Bosses, items, units...etc.

Krank32oz
Jan 14, 2010, 10:02 PM
Im not really expecting that anymore. Just gona play it for what it is and hopefully have fun!

Zeek123
Jan 15, 2010, 02:28 AM
sell me on why I should play PSO.

It's free...?

But seriously. PSU is superior to PSO in everyway when it comes to the mission variety and battle system. But for some strange reason, it takes a lot of playthroughs to feel repetitive.

Photon Arts are the evolved version of PSO's techs. If you've played Phantasy Star Portable 2 any (can't say for PSZero since I haven't played it yet.), it's pretty much exactly like that. Meaning you have to buy and collect discs to level up techs. Except in PSO, special attacks are connected to weapons instead of discs.

The selling points are that there are people to play with, it's free, and you get to see where the inspiration for PSU came from.

stinkyfish97
Jan 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
So I finally got PSO to work on my PC, yeah took a while to figure out on xp I cannot log on just by clicking the short cut but instead have to open up the file, and then run the online.exe as administrator.

But anyways I got it working and I am quite impressed, the game is fun and the servers, there is always someone playing, and that is on PC. I mean the servers I play on have over 450 people on always. Thats pretty decent and its all free, I get to play PSO 1,2,4 for free and the missions are pretty fun, the maps are bigger than PSU and the enemies seem to pop up from everywhere constantly.

Basically I am taking a break fromm PSU for a while to play PSO, so I can save up some money. I am having a lot of fun trying to figure the whole system out, your right PSU is a superior game as far as gameplay and they did a good job with PSU but I am having a lot of fun with the simplicity of this game, its a lot more basic and I kinda like that. My main wapon is the pistol, I feel its the best long range weapon as a ranger, the rifle looks cool but it is slower than the pistol and I get mobbed to often for it to be as effective as it should be. The pistol has really decent range, not quite as far as the rifle but far enough to be more effective than the rifle. Im only lvl 12 so I still have a lot to discover. It also seems to me that techers in PSO are probably the best class. They seem to have very high MST which makes them high damage dealers and they can heal and buff. Most of the time you dont need a tank because the enemies are so simple they respawn or run away once you leave the area, so if you can attack with any range you wont get hit.

Red Ring
Jan 16, 2010, 11:47 PM
the only reason why i quit psobb is because i played it for years and the quests like towards the future really got annoying but thats my fault for not making my own game rooms with other things than that. the real reason i quit was the feeling that i was wasting my life and the fact i sold most of my good items for real world money. i also didn't like the way the 3rd party server was being run especially since i was on their ban on sight list. but i bought all the ubers. i quit on the 3rd party server so many times its not worth counting for various reasons. the dupe glitch, proxies, unable to trade enemy made weaps, them making paid users get double exp, the list goes on and on. i beat that game and had all the ubers over a dozen times. played on that server since they only supported psopc. either way enough is enough. time to move on already. oh god now im missing it a little bit lol.

PSOBB is and was a very good game if youre a ranger that is. i found the FOs and hunters to be very boring.

from my years of experience on the game the only thing good about techer/FOs is they are good at glitching in battle mode online. they can zap you with spells from other dungeon areas and one shot you to death but in ultimate mode they cant survive alone but their buffs make them useful to a party. rangers at highest level can dominate entire rooms by themselves and hoard experience. they have lots of amazing weapons like v502 with hell needle, iron fausr, baranz launcher, excal, charge weapons, divine punishment, heaven striker, rianov-5. no other class can clear out a room like a racast. racast is da best.

unicorn
Jan 17, 2010, 03:42 AM
You might, but its highly unlikely you won't.

If you insist on playing it, play on the 360 servers. Although I play on PC/PS2 servers, theres no population. People say "oooh, you can always play with friends", you have to actually FIND people in order to make friends, and there is NO one. Only reason I'm still in these bastard servers is because I invested too much time into my account, otherwise I wish I started off in the 360 servers.

If you can read Japanese, I'd recommend the JP servers above anything else. You just deal with the occasional xenophobia.

Eitherway, you're screwed. The game is dying in US/EU and now even Japan. Actually, go play Guild Wars or WoW, or wait for FFXIV. =D

stinkyfish97
Jan 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Im enjoying PSO Blue Burst. I am a RaCast and its quite fun, a little frustrating the controls because they are more difficult using a keyboard

AndyPandy
Jan 17, 2010, 07:16 PM
I honestly wouldnt bother. I loved PSO on Dreamcast, XBOX/GC, then BB on PC. I played and tried to like PSU, but it simply isnt as good a game.

I would recommend getting it on the PSP if you have one. Pick up the first one, then look forward to the superior number 2 when it get released in the west. I found the PSP version to be superior than the console version.

Krank32oz
Jan 18, 2010, 02:54 AM
You might, but its highly unlikely you won't.

If you insist on playing it, play on the 360 servers. Although I play on PC/PS2 servers, theres no population. People say "oooh, you can always play with friends", you have to actually FIND people in order to make friends, and there is NO one. Only reason I'm still in these bastard servers is because I invested too much time into my account, otherwise I wish I started off in the 360 servers.

If you can read Japanese, I'd recommend the JP servers above anything else. You just deal with the occasional xenophobia.

Eitherway, you're screwed. The game is dying in US/EU and now even Japan. Actually, go play Guild Wars or WoW, or wait for FFXIV. =D

I played wow since the day it came out in 2004. Im all wowed out. I didnt like FFXI
and ill prob end up playing diablo 3 and star wars old republic when they come out! But i gotta play psu for at least a bit. Then all this work would be for nothing!

SuperRygar
Jan 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
You asked just about the game mechanics and everyone keeps posting about the population size and other non-gameplay related stuff. It's good informaiton to know, but if your asking about pure gameplay...then YES, PSU blows PSO out of the water.

One of the biggest things is free camera movement. Only being able to center the camera sux. You can even go first person view.

There are more levels, way more. Plus the many lobbies outside of missions, all have great design.

If your a fighter, you'l see the biggest improvement over PSO fighting dynamics. The combo's arent as stiff. In PSO you dont do much other than, hit-hit-hit...pause...hit-hit-hit. In PSU you can have 15-hit combos that you hit all the mobs with and do things like launch/freeze/knockback. Being a fighter is what makes PSU so much better.

If your a shooter, major improvement. Free moving camera comes in handy and you can go first person view and shoot that way! Amazing. I hated gunner in PSO, boring stuff. Now its pretty fun. You can strafe, so twin handguns allow you to deal lots of dmg while moving around. Shotguns are great too, heavy dmg at close range and lots of status effects.

If your a magic user...well....im sorry :( Your spells wont auto target. I don't really like being a force in PSU. Force was my main in PSO, but now i hate it. I only use magic to buff and a few spells that have better hit rate(nosdiga, dambarta) It's strong though,and there's tons more spells, but you have to manually aim them. It helps that you can move the camera. You can line up your shot with the camera, press up to face that direction and shoot. But still...

The maps are like PSO in the sense that it always seems kinda different when you enter. Although after a while of spamming a map you'l know it, but that's just like PSO. Some of the level designs are good, others not so much. I find the moatoob rocky area maps to be too large. Too much running to reach monsters.

There are LOTS of weapons. We dont have everything available to us because SEGA only releases them when they feel like it. Most people will complain about lack of weapons/gear, but that's because they only want to use what most efficient. For instance, the chainsawd weapon. I love that weapon, it looks hella cool BUT its weaker than most swords so nobody uses it and will know your using a weak weapon if they see it. That's more of a problem than lack of content... the game isn't hard so why not use a weaker weapon if it looks cool? Everybody looks the same in terms of weapons. But that's another rant...

You dont' have mags, but do you get a partner machine that will makes weapons/items/armor for you and it is fed like a mag. at a certain level it becomes an NPC that you can add to your party and fight with (although its not very effective until highly evolved and is kind of annoying because it says stupid things)

I loved PSO, back in the day. But I tried going back to PSO after years of PSU and i didnt like how restrictive the movement and battle system was. I've been spoiled by the quick moving, free roaming view of PSU. and the hit-hit-hit system seem's so lame now. PSO had a great atmosphere, the music was TOP NOTCH(i listen to PSO music when i play PSU :P) the way items droped made every run worthwhile. the only downside of PSU is that you dont get the same payout in terms of item drops. rare enemies cant spawn from any mob, but rather when you go into the map its either a rare map with spawns, or not a rare map. some items are way hard to find, and things will drop a board. so even if you get a new rare weapon to drop, you still have to find the materials to synth it and that has a 50-90% chance of success. so it could fail ;(

In one post you said you dont care about population as long as you have a few friends. Its true you WILL find a few friends on either server and have lots of fun. A lot of people are completely jaded and will put down this game in every aspect. but its they who are jaded! I love this game. It's a perfect "sequel" to PSO and i would be willing to bet you'l enjoy the gameplay if not everything else.

WsntHere
Jan 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
I never liked PSO, so I can't advise on that front.

In PSU each of your four characters has their own room that can be decorated with various items that can be found or bought from shops. The rooms have a Common Box in which you can store weapons, money, armor, and items. The common box is the same across all characters, so you can move stuff betwen your characters with no hassle. It beats the PSO Drop and Hope system...

You can also set the rooms up as shops, giving you way to sell excess weapons and items. The Partner Machines are the shop keepers.

The character models are hands down better than in PSO, and very customizable during creation. You may want to set one up and start the game to see what it looks like, then delete it a dozen times to get that exact right look, heh. After creation the face and hair can be changed, but height and body shape are permanent.

Character movement is very fluid and lifelike. Females get different moves in some melee attacks than males, and in general seem female. Males and females have different stats in some areas. In general, males are stronger than females in physical attacks and females are better at techs, but there are other differences. You can look that up here and at www.psupedia.info, as well as stuff on Partner Macines and gameplay.

I like PSU.

Enjoy, whatever server you hit.

SuKKrl
Jan 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
I loved PSO, back in the day. But I tried going back to PSO after years of PSU and i didnt like how restrictive the movement and battle system was. I've been spoiled by the quick moving, free roaming view of PSU. and the hit-hit-hit system seem's so lame now.

This is exactly what happened to me, some PSO mechanics feel too outdated (yeah, 10 years, no surprise at all) when compared to other games (I played PSU only after trying to go back to PSO). Not having free camera movement kills a bit of it for me, but I loved it when it was new (and some years after it was new :-P).

Now on to topic, I had the same question that you have now, really, the only way to get an answer is to actually play the game. I played the 360 demo, liked it and then got it on PC. Its all up to you and your opinion.

Krank32oz
Jan 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks SuperRygar!!! Yea that helps a lot. The lack of a lot of people didn't really bother me too much. I was worried about game mechanics and play. So you definitely helped me out there. Thank you very much and I will surely be playing as soon as i get my box back!

stinkyfish97
Jan 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
No doubt PSU is a great game but here is why I am pissed. I have played this game for 3years, at 10 bucks a month, that is over 360 bucks, add on top of that 60 bucks, I had to rebuy the game after wearing it out 2 times previous, and the 30 bucks for the expansion.

I think we have a right to be pissed. You cannot tell me that I have gotten over 360 bucks in content, that is what is upsetting, the managment of this game pisses me off, not the game itself. They hold stuff back that they already have done. Imagine how great this game could be if they would have released this stuff that they had done since before the expansion from the start like it should have been? they would have been working towards making this game truely amazing, the way it is now it is an incomplete game and never will be considered better than PSO in my eyes because of how poorly it has been managed.

I am not the only one that feels that way, you can tell me why dont you quit than, well all I can say is I like PSU and I feel as long as I dont get the updates I have a right to complain because I do pay 10 bucks every month, Dark God S2 and that Temple Mission are you kidding me thats what my 10 bucks a month gets me, the month previous they didnt even give us an update. So I get one map with what 4 "new drops" ones that should have been dropping 3 months ago back in the GC GBR and then the temple mission I cannot even play because everyone I liked to play with quit this game and you need 2 people to run it. Please.

All I can say to whoever picks this game up is be ready to be dissapointed after like 3-4 months of play, sega ruined this game when they decided to give out massive EXP for killing monsters, making PA's lvl at ridiculous rates to the point of where you can max out a character in what 1 weekend. The gameplay is still solid but I would say after about 4 months you will get dissapointed and join on the bandwagen of people who are pisssed because they dont get updates.

Again just my opinion though. So do what you want. All I know is Im probably going to keep playing PSU, I never threaten to quit but I am going to call it how it is.

SuperRygar
Jan 21, 2010, 12:52 PM
No doubt PSU is a great game but here is why I am pissed. I have played this game for 3years, at 10 bucks a month, that is over 360 bucks, add on top of that 60 bucks, I had to rebuy the game after wearing it out 2 times previous, and the 30 bucks for the expansion.

I think we have a right to be pissed. You cannot tell me that I have gotten over 360 bucks in content, that is what is upsetting, the managment of this game pisses me off, not the game itself. They hold stuff back that they already have done. Imagine how great this game could be if they would have released this stuff that they had done since before the expansion from the start like it should have been? they would have been working towards making this game truely amazing, the way it is now it is an incomplete game and never will be considered better than PSO in my eyes because of how poorly it has been managed.

I am not the only one that feels that way, you can tell me why dont you quit than, well all I can say is I like PSU and I feel as long as I dont get the updates I have a right to complain because I do pay 10 bucks every month, Dark God S2 and that Temple Mission are you kidding me thats what my 10 bucks a month gets me, the month previous they didnt even give us an update. So I get one map with what 4 "new drops" ones that should have been dropping 3 months ago back in the GC GBR and then the temple mission I cannot even play because everyone I liked to play with quit this game and you need 2 people to run it. Please.

All I can say to whoever picks this game up is be ready to be dissapointed after like 3-4 months of play, sega ruined this game when they decided to give out massive EXP for killing monsters, making PA's lvl at ridiculous rates to the point of where you can max out a character in what 1 weekend. The gameplay is still solid but I would say after about 4 months you will get dissapointed and join on the bandwagen of people who are pisssed because they dont get updates.

Again just my opinion though. So do what you want. All I know is Im probably going to keep playing PSU, I never threaten to quit but I am going to call it how it is.

but this has nothing to do with game mechanics. if a person likes the game mechanics enough, like myself, then content is never an issue.