PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 (US/EU) Servers closing in March.

Pages : [1] 2

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
This doesn't appear to be a joke, fellas.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=310166

Attention Phantasy Star Universe players,

We regret to announce that the PC and PlayStation2 servers for Phantasy Star Universe will be closing as of this March 31st, 2010.

SEGA would like to extend its sincere thanks to those who have played on the PC/PS2 servers over the past several years. The final update for PC/PS2 servers will be this January 29th, 2010, which will start the long-awaited MAG+ event. This event will receive the same updates & web support as the event on the Xbox 360 servers.

Please note that after January 29th 2010, no new PSU subscriptions will be available for purchase for PC/PS2. Those who are subscribed as of that time will be able to play, for free, until service closure.

The schedule is as follows:

• January 29th 2010: MAG+ event begins for PC/PS2 and Xbox 360 servers.

• January 29th 2010: No new PC/PS2 PSU subscriptions will be available for purchase.

• January 29th 2010: Free play for PC/PS2 PSU begins. No more billing cycles will take place on or after this date.

• March 31st 2010: PC/PS2 servers / service closure, the PlayStation2 and PC versions of Phantasy Star Universe online play will not be available after this date, however, please continue to enjoy the Single Player version of the game.

For those who play the Xbox 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe: SEGA will continue to support, in full & with regular updates, this version of Phantasy Star Universe. This includes bringing currently unreleased and anticipated content to the XBox 360 servers. We will be able to provide more details on future Xbox 360 PSU content over the coming weeks and months.

While we are sad to see the PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe end, the year 2010 is the 10th anniversary of Phantasy Star Online -- and this server / service closure is helping to pave the way for bigger and better things for the Phantasy Star franchise in the very near future!

Thank you all again for the support and great times together with us here at SEGA playing PSU! We look forward to seeing you again in our new adventures!

Smidge204
Jan 21, 2010, 01:06 PM
Ah, well, guess I can stop frustrating myself over leveling those stupid TECHNICs...

Feel sorta meh about this news.
=Smidge=

Anon_Fire
Jan 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
I am deeply saddened by this announcement. :(

After playing this game for 2 years, I've had some wonderful experiences with PSU. Being a PC/PS2 Player was great, made many new friends and reunited with a few PSOBB buddies. and Like I said, I'm staying until the end :)

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
So that's it?

Well, I'll enjoy it until it ends, but then I think I'll be done, unless a private server goes up.

Pickleahoy
Jan 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
Kill it, bring another quick ^_^

RadiantLegend
Jan 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
WHAT THE FUCK!

I have to start all over on the 360? This is BULLSHIT.

hyperacute
Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
Was rather inevitable really. I barely play these days and it's always been empty when I've logged in. Hopefully will be able to get a few games in before they pull the plug. Well, if I can find some free time...

RadiantLegend
Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm canceling my sub as it renews every 22nd of the....shit thats tomorrow.

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 01:10 PM
*raises glass*

To long nights of RARZ hunting, to lobbies full of spam, to good times had, to unforgettable moments of hilarity and amazingness, and to good friends made.

I couldn't have asked for a better MMO experience (despite its many flaws), and I hope to see the friends I've made again, on down the road.

May the next big Phantasy Star thing be everything it needs to be and more.

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 01:12 PM
It kind of sucks, but I think the sooner the plug gets pulled on this game, the better. It gives them an opportunity to start something else and actually do it correctly. (snicker)

You know, a lot of people said that PSO was "updated poorly" but everything was pretty much released from the start. Max level, almost every item...etc. Meanwhile, the PC/PS2 server didn't even reach the max fucking level, and tons of other shit.

WHAT THE FUCK!

You really going to do this? I wouldn't even waste my time. Who knows what's going to happen by the time we catch ourselves up.

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm canceling my sub as it renews every 22nd of the....shit thats tomorrow.

It's free from the 29th on if you're still subbed....but is there really a point? lol

RadiantLegend
Jan 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
They wont get an extra $20 from me before they go out. No fuckin way.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
Why only the PC/PS2 servers...Either close everything or nothing. It's not fair these on the Xbox servers can still play and the rest of us can't...I was finnaly starting to enjoy psu...bleh fuck you sega :(

edit: no fucking point in MAG+ now either...leveling, finding items and such to then have the servers shut a month later? yes very very usefull sega...

Smidge204
Jan 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
March 32st is a Wednesday... what time will it close?

It would be epic to try and get <i>everyone</i> still playing into the same lobby (Central table, colony?) for some video and screencaps just as the server goes offline.

Maybe Edwards can be a chum and make that a banner announcement. I'd totally be there.
=Smidge=

Nayto the Fighmaster
Jan 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
Why only the PC/PS2 servers...Either close everything or nothing. It's not fair these on the Xbox servers can still play and the rest of us can't...I was finnaly starting to enjoy psu...bleh fuck you sega :(

I'm sorry for the PC/Ps2 servers, but From what I was told, PS2 was a practical ghost town.

If they closed down the Ps2/Pc sides, how much longer do WE the 360 players Have?

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
March 32st is a Wednesday... what time will it close?

It would be epic to try and get <i>everyone</i> still playing into the same lobby (Central table, colony?) for some video and screencaps just as the server goes offline.

Maybe Edwards can be a chum and make that a banner announcement. I'd totally be there.
=Smidge=

As would I. In fact, I'd say that would be perfectly doable, if we spread word during next week, and up until the servers close.

PekingDuck13
Jan 21, 2010, 01:34 PM
I hope SEGA realizes this was their fault and learns from their mistakes, but I doubt it. I don't think I will play another Phantasy Star again unless we share servers with Japan.

Ash1ey
Jan 21, 2010, 01:35 PM
Well I'm not surprised... but still damn. So many memories on this game.
Definatley going to play during the games last days

DuRaL
Jan 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
wow! now this is an update..

i feel really sorry for the PC/PS2 player base, even if it's small..
and it reminds me of what i don't like about online games: they don't last forever =/

on the other hand, this may have positive effects on 360 updates, as i assume the dev. team responsible for our servers has now less work/update..

You know, a lot of people said that PSO was "updated poorly" but everything was pretty much released from the start. Max level, almost every item...etc. Meanwhile, the PC/PS2 server didn't even reach the max fucking level, and tons of other shit.

i totally have to agree, this way of delivering content sucks..
for the next Phantasy Star game, i wish they do it the way as in PSO (everything pretty much accessable from the beginning) but keep events like in PSU, which bring some variety into the game =)

oh, and by the way, does Sega hate March 31st or something? that's ALWAYS the day they shut down some servers >_>

Cranberry
Jan 21, 2010, 01:38 PM
I will be renewing my license for the final months of PSU.

SuKKrl
Jan 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
Great, its the second time I go into a server of the PS series to have it die shortly after...

No idea what to do, was enjoying the game (in the getting incredibly addicted part) and was almost getting 2 new players and I barely know japanese (few disjointed words and some words about food :-P), so I'm not sure I would get to enjoy JP PSU. :(

I can't say they haven't had some reasons for such measure, but it saddens me a lot because I feel there were ways to save the game, but that doesn't matter now.

Well, good luck to all PS2/PC players.

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry for the PC/Ps2 servers, but From what I was told, PS2 was a practical ghost town.

If they closed down the Ps2/Pc sides, how much longer do WE the 360 players Have?

My guess is the beginning of next year at the latest...unless the population takes a quick drop before that.

Nayto the Fighmaster
Jan 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
My guess is the beginning of next year at the latest...unless the population takes a quick drop before that.

Oh well this is lovely... Now I feel bad for all the PC/Ps2 players.

ashley50
Jan 21, 2010, 01:53 PM
well good thing I have a JP PSU/PSP2 Char as a back up...kinda lol

Well, good thign I stopepd my sub months ago before thsi happened lolz

pizzagirl
Jan 21, 2010, 01:53 PM
Wow. Hard to believe. I knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would happen this early. Even though I just jumped over to the JP ship a few days ago this still really makes me sad. :( Lots of memories on PC/PS2.

If anyone plans to start over now would be the time if you have a 360. With MAG+ and all. The Great Arms Race is still going on over on the JP side too if anyone is thinking about going over there. Hopefully they will take better care of the next Phantasy Star game in the West.

Shou
Jan 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
Wow SEGAC actually LITERALLY killed PSU.

stinkyfish97
Jan 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
Wow I guess we all saw that coming eventually but still to shut it down and tell them they arent even going to keep the servers up for them to at least continue to play the game, for those who want to. Thats seriously bogus. I still dont understand why they couldnt just combine JP and EU/NA servers, kinda seems bogus that the ps2 side doesnt get to see those updates. Oh well not my concern I play on the Xbox but who knows how long thatll even last. I guess we have what 6 months?

Does anyone have any ideas of possible private server picking up the PC version anytime soon or is it still too soon to know this?

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
Wow SEGAC actually LITERALLY killed PSU.

Maybe we should think of this as a mercy killing. Like shooting the still-alive deer that you just crippled with your car.

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have any ideas of possible private server picking up the PC version anytime soon or is it still too soon to know this?

It's too soon to tell. Advertising this sort of thing while any official servers are still active would not be a very smart idea.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jan 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
....ouch..

Oh well, like people said it was inevitable. Hmm I don't think i'll try getting my 360 PSU to work now. Its kinda nice ina way I started just before MAG and played it religiously and now the game will end almost full circle from where I started. i've never got a character to max level on PSO from DC days, nor did I cap a char on GC PSO but at least MAG+ will let me cap a character in Phantasy Star.

I have a feeling the community may get bigger than ever ebfore in the last few months, here's to hoping. Anyone who hasn't played this game think I'm crazy to have spent over 1000 hours on this, but such good memories. Hopefully in the coming weeks i'll bump into some old faces I used to play with and new ones too :)

Its been an awesome few years, and rather than complaining that SEGA's terminating the server i'd like to thank them for making another amazing Phantasy Star game. Regardless of update issues etc that we've all complained about over the years. They made a great game all in all adding so much to where PSO left off.

Good luck to everyone over the coming months

Tifa

Syl
Jan 21, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm definitely making a small return on the last month considering it will be free, just to see this game go. It was inevitable, and probably should have happened already. As much as I hated the support of the game (er, lack of), the game holds a ton of memories for me even if I quit more than a year ago. Good times, and met lots of close friends.

I played from the very first week this game came out, it'd be kind of nice to play for the last week of it too.

Krupp
Jan 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
NOOOO ; ;. I will miss this game greatly ; ; It's been a good 3-almost 4 years guys. I might move to 360 if it stays.. Hope to see you guys on a lot before the final day!

stinkyfish97
Jan 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Wouldnt the updates been easy to make for the ps2 than the 360? I mean are they the same format? The JP version is ps2/pc not xbox so all the updates written would presumably be written in whatever format the ps2 uses, so its likely that we as 360 users dont have much hope for even seeing this game to much past mag+ would that be safe to say?

Cracka_J
Jan 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
this is a long time overdue.
thanks again for the fun times psu.

Shou
Jan 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have almost a billion meseta invested in Pwands and grinders waiting for the next grind boost which was SUPPOSED to come after MAG+ from Guardians Limit Attack (or whatever it's called).... I can't afford the time it would take to make a new account on JP.

See you all on PSP2.

Dhylec
Jan 21, 2010, 02:10 PM
Well, it's better to pull the plug early than prolong the inevitable.

The_Brimada
Jan 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
I haven't played PSU in months now so it doesn't bug me too much, hard work down the drain it seems but w/e. It is kinda screwed up for those who still play that would be forced to go to 360 or JP server(or play offline) after its over.

This is mostly Segac's fault anyway. I knew the game was dying, but didn't expect for them to actually put it out of its misery this soon.. :x

Chibi_psu
Jan 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
God dammit i take a break from pc and now i find this....Screw you sega...Ill switch to 360 ...

ashley50
Jan 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
I pity those who capped everything in game. Spending hours and hours to cap every single Techs, Bullets and Skills.

Hunting for Rappy Iggs for Igg crown(s), Milla, Gulds, Killer Elites, 50% S Rank 10/10s, Stacks of meseta...etc.

All those work going down the drain? :E

ashley50
Jan 21, 2010, 02:23 PM

360 should last longer since you guys have the JP community on your sides.

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 02:24 PM
Looks like I'll be able to dawn the Boktos shell one last time.

Be seeing y'all soon.

In the afterlife.

Cranberry
Jan 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
It's irronic. It was only a few weeks ago I was involved in another topic where people were talking about things to do to make Sega update. I even said something like "Boycotting PSU won't work. They won't fix the game, they'll pull the plug instead." And here they are, pulling the plug.

Wintermute0
:no::no::no:

Seems like I'm going back to PSO.

Krupp
To be honest, I thought I was ready for this whenever the day would come. But I'm not, seems like its too soon and all too short after the patience for mag+ finally paid off. I've been on this game since day 1, its all too sad to hear. :/ I'm not motivated to start over on 360 or a private server really. The closure of PC/PS2 might be it for me.

Tyreek
Jan 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
While things are grim, I can say my time invested in PSU, was not entirely wasted effort. I have met some actual friends, that have made my experience worthwhile.

Almeho
Jan 21, 2010, 02:37 PM
Guess I'll resub and play w/buddies to get those last pics and getting a chance to say "Leave it to Mish!" a few more times.... This is kinda saddening knowing that I had plans to make a return to PSU soon. I'm more upset about the time I put into it and it seems that I won't be able to retain the data once the servers close.
- Raises a lighter in the air for PSU one last time -

Quatre52
Jan 21, 2010, 02:40 PM
wow.....perhaps i'll dig out the old psu disc and jump on it for the end...havent used PC psu in years...

anyone looking to jump to 360..if you want help leveling up, feel free to let me know, i'll gladly help anyone who chooses to switch over.

tadtwisted
Jan 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
I would like to raise a glass and toast to my soon to be fallen soldier brothers...We on the 360 side will keep the fight going, alone :(

relentless
Jan 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
this is a long time overdue.
thanks again for the fun times psu.

Totally seconded. Yeah man, thanks for the good times, PSU! Will never forget about the good times.

Almeho
Jan 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
I would like to raise a glass and toast to my soon to be fallen soldier brothers...We on the 360 side will keep the fight going, alone :(

- Cheers - Good luck w/the fight in the coming months.

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6aRwky0W5Y

I look forward to seeing some old friends in PSO. (an actual complete game) :D

Neith
Jan 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sort of glad to see the servers close, it was depressing to see no-one online for months.

I had fun for the most part since launch, but honestly the game went downhill for me fast with the release of AoI. I won't be running MAG+, as I don't see the point now, and I won't be getting PSU 360- too much work for a game I'm not too bothered about anymore.

Well, time to look for something else to play :wacko: Tempted to restart on private servers for BB, but I don't know if I can stomach playing it now without my friends there.

Well overdue though, with Chromehounds servers closing this month it was only a matter of time until PSU was up.

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 03:00 PM
Really people complain dude we're getting Igg Crowns, Zagza boards and all other good stuff (I'm personally aiming for the Red Lines.) If you were bored then you'll be bored now, and sorry to say, you're better off quitting. Heck learn to TA or something, (That's what I've been doing, anyways). Mag + Is what we've been waiting for, or I was at least. I don't suppose I'm alone on this?

I don't think anyone was complaining about the actuall update itself just the timing of it. Now with everything you listed it's all already dropping in different places, although I'm personally excited for MAG+ it's not some end all content give away where we all have brand new stuff to hunt. It's a great event for the aspect of leveling and time attacking and it's got some nice drops to go with it. Since my latest venture to the 360 side I have plenty to level personally so I'm super excited and I really do hope they allow ps2/pc players to transfer their accounts to 360.(Not combine the servers) just so if people do have to switch over they don't have to start completely over like I did. And regarding the posts about hardcore gaming and all the other posts in this epic topic, I never said your opinions don't matter if you are new, I merely said not everyone is in the same position as you and therefore you should look at it thru their eyes aswell. Obviously if you are new to the game you would have plenty of fun and interesting things to do the problem is you don't have to be "hardcore" to be rather bored of the current content(Although Dark God is pretty cool, besides the drop level) I haven't always "hardcored" this game or atleast not in my opinion and I have quite a few PAs capped and characters leveled and a decent amount of meseta and weaponry on the ps2/pc server. Or well I did before I left and gave it to someone a few months ago. Anyways enjoy MAG+ and I hope to see some new faces on the 360 server.

360 should last longer since you guys have the JP community on your sides.

The weird part about 360 is the amount of new players. Every single day it seems like I see hundreds of new players with high IDs. I have been on the server for about 3 months and my ID is 113961 and in the past few days I have seen IDs as high as 116500. So I think 360 will definately be fine expecially if they make the game completely downloadable or perhaps close the demo and make them all start paying lol.

Lunairetic
Jan 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Why the hell don't they just merge the servers? It's too much effort? SEGA of America should just be shut down, they don't do jack.

Freshellent
Jan 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
Closing time... you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

I was literally about to reactivate for the event too.

I can't help but shake my head though, sad to see the servers go down, but I swore I would be there when they went down for PC/PS2. Time to own up I guess.

Isthar
Jan 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
It is not fair. What should we do? Start again with a lv 1 character in 360? With lv 1 PA's? What about people with their skills, bullets and techs lv 50? What about all their effort?

I won't switch to the 360 servers...

Micro
Jan 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
Kinda sad to see them closing, but I'll be back on to see them go down. Here I was thinking about renewing for a month cause I missed the game, good thing I didn't renew just yet. :lol:

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 03:13 PM
A good buddy of mine brought up a great way to make SEGA update this game, and now I think it should be adressed here. In the words of the powerfull and wise(Even his Ice Axe Jabroga at White Beast)

"we should find some kid with cancer and kidnap him, and use him to do the Make A Wish Foundation. then we can make our wish SEGA giving us consistent updates"

Now as this is a fool proof plan I suggest we kidnap Amaury(I think he has cancer) and use this tactic for them to keep the Ps2/PC server open.

On a side note, this really sucks and hopefully they make it possible to switch accounts over so people don't have to start completely over.

tadtwisted
Jan 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
I know microsoft and sony dont allow cross-console games but microsoft does allow xbox/pc gaming ( sega's universe at war ) i know it would suck for the ps2 players but couldnt you put all the pc and xbox360 characters on one server? That way you still only have one set of servers to maintain.

Nayto the Fighmaster
Jan 21, 2010, 03:17 PM

*Raises glass*

Aye. We'll keep the flag flying.

ZyphNeko
Jan 21, 2010, 03:20 PM
Farewell, PSU. I knew ye well. Even if I did disappear for a good four months.

Ah well. Can't wait till PS:P2 for the PSP Too.

Neko~

xBULLYDOGG
Jan 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, I uhh... wow
I'm on the 360 boat and that news was a blow for me!
I feel bad for all players that are dissapointed by this news greatly. I'm holding on to my chair to know when they decide to pull the 360s life line and kill us off too. Anyone who is thinking of switching I suggest you do it before MAG+ hits us so at least that way you can build yourself up quickly. Anyone who will not switch umm, that's your choice I guess good luck with whatever you're going to do. I'm so disapointed in this news myself to the fact that bobbeh, rau, tyreek and any other PSU vid poster on the pc/ps2 servers won't be able to make the with ease anymore, no fraps or whatever for 360 you're gonna need a capture card if you want to continue making videos. On a side note it would be nice to have the mentioned on my friends list, I mean i think for e.g. that tyreek would be a cool guy to have a talk with. -hint hint- Good luck everyone.

*Raises glass*

Aye. We'll keep the flag flying.

As shall I.

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye

SEGA will never love you, the way that I love you
'Cause if Edward did, no no, he wouldn't make you cry
Ruby might be thrillin' baby but a-my love (my love, my love)
So dog-gone willin'
So kill him (I wanna see you kill him. Wanna see you kill him)
Go on and kill him goodbye, now

Na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye

Listen to me now

Edward's never near you to comfort and cheer you
When all those sad tears are fallin' baby from your eyes
Ruby might be thrillin' baby but a-my love (my love, my love)
So dog-gone willin'
So kill him (I wanna see you kill him. I wanna see you kill him)
Go on and kill him goodbye, na-na na-na-na na na

Na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye

[fade in]
Hey hey-ey, goodbye
[repeat many times and fade out]

Raven5_1
Jan 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
well f*ck. i knew this seperate server thing was going to screw us over in the end.

barnacleez
Jan 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Best closure to this game would be if everyone did Kireek's deathcry before the server shutdown.

AH...
GAH...
UBWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 03:35 PM
Best closure to this game would be if everyone did Kireek's deathcry before the server shutdown.

AH...
GAH...
UBWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I'm contemplating resubbing and stalking PS2/PC people and harassing them, just because I know getting banned wouldn't mean anything. and Amaury could use a good harassment.

Neith
Jan 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
It is not fair. What should we do? Start again with a lv 1 character in 360? With lv 1 PA's? What about people with their skills, bullets and techs lv 50? What about all their effort?

I won't switch to the 360 servers...

The agreement that you consent to everytime you log on should cover this (Terms of Service). Sega have the right to pull server access whenever they want. If you really want to keep playing PSU, either pick up PSP2 or switch to 360, it's all everyone can do.

As for me, I guess I'll wait for the next Phantasy Star on a console- I'll probably get PSP2 when it releases in English, but I likely won't stick with it.

Alucard V
Jan 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
I saw this coming with Phantasy Stat Portable 2. The 360's day's maybe just as numbered. But I raise a glass for what's to come. Let's us rejoice for MAG+ and hope the dirge of PSU is short play.

Raven5_1
Jan 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
i think i might have to go search for PSO

Dragwind
Jan 21, 2010, 03:46 PM
Well well, I knew it was coming but didn't expect it to be this early. Thankfully I have loads and loads of screenshots and memories which I'm happy about. I believe I'll do one last final grind to cap all my characters again.

As for switching to the 360...I'm not entirely sure about doing that yet.

Aeris
Jan 21, 2010, 03:46 PM
I knew this whould come sooner or later, having to use my moms laptop to play this game when mine went down and couldn't barely even play much during the events since i was gonna get a new computer next month and play more often but its sad its going away soon when i get the chance to play more often but nothing i can do atm just wait until i get my new computer and play on the last days of the PC/PS2 servers and go back to playing psobb and psz more when they go down at the end of March, i just fell bad about it going down sooner this year than later on =/.

HyperShot-X-
Jan 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
On a side note, this really sucks and hopefully they make it possible to switch accounts over so people don't have to start completely over.
well, that didn't stop you from switching to 360 and start over from scratch, did it? Just let them moan for now, there will be plenty of time to think it over.

*noticing additional posts made below on preview */facepalm, o geez, we have yet again a chimp out on loose going rampage on street with a fake toy gun x.x

ShinAnt
Jan 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
Riding off into sunset. I have to say its sad to see it g
o. Met some of the best people in gurhal. I should be around in its final days. Seeya folks on PSP2.

Oh and don't let Raidens comments get to ya. He's remade his character multiple times. LOVE YOU :D

Keilyn
Jan 21, 2010, 04:07 PM
I knew this would happen because Sega of America did the very same thing on their Phantasy Star Online servers back then. History repeated with Phantasy Star Universe...Which I knew that Mag+ was a smokescreens and that the Supplement Update would not exist...

This is another reason why I went to PSU-Japan and skipped the BS that was Sega of America. I hate coming into a forumboard and saying "I told you so" but im losing four 170/20 characters and if someone can't update a title in a year, it just goes to show...

PSO was at the same level...It needed a major update Japan had to continue and Sega of America said "Lets close down the server" which is why I don't buy any game stateside that says "Sega of America" and im sure you can remember what happened with previous Sega titles that came here......I'll help anyone register for PSU-Japan.

I love PSU, but I hate Sega of America...If anyone wants direction on how to register for PSU-Japan and skip the Bullshit....Or of course you can go to XBOX360...then yeah..

But it would be nice if Sega of America can at least allow for character data to be imported to Xbox360 servers.

Ranji
Jan 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
I was just about to get a sub too.... well no real point to it, unless they offer to make Episode 3 downloadable for offline (they frakkin better too. Just because they don't want to host it anymore, doesn't mean that we shouldn't be able to play the FUCKING STORY MODE.) Honestly, what the hell were they thinking when they made that online only? Oh yeah, to sap us dry...

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
well, that didn't stop you from switching to 360 and start over from scratch, did it? Just let them moan for now, there will be plenty of time to think it over.

*noticing additional posts made below on preview */facepalm, o geez, we have yet again a chimp out on loose going rampage on street with a fake toy gun x.x

You have got to be one of the most ridiculous people I have ever met over the internet. Obviously it didn't stop me but it definately sucked and still sucks. I had a lot of help from some good friends so hopefully the ps2/pc people can keep on playing because what would a universe be without people? :0

Angry_Ryudo
Jan 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
Humm..... I stopped playing a long time ago, but it's really a pity, i want to say hello to everybody i've played with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwzMYyYoGRM

(lol, this video URL ends in GRM?? XDDD)

Miyoko
Jan 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm going to go cry now...

DarK-SuN
Jan 21, 2010, 04:30 PM
I felt it was coming, expected it, thought I was ready for when it was announced, but I sure as hell wasn't.

Thanks Sonic Team (JP) for bringing us PSU, one of the best online games I've played since PSO; no thanks to SEGA of America who gets a MASSIVE F.U. from me and a lot of people I know, a really big and massive F.U..

I'll consider moving to the JP server since I do have an account there frozen and waiting for me and the JP client updated since I occasionally pop on there with the free community course ability.

Crysteon
Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
Sigh...this is so sad guys :(. I feel so pissed right now just because SOA ruined a great game like this with their negligence and bad administration methods -__-

I don't even have more than a year here, but I feel satisfied because of the great people I met here. I will try the JP server for a while, and stay if I can stick to it good enough :/

Oh well...thanks to all that cool people I had here as friends...my experience here is priceless compared to other online games I have played.

Legendwolf
Jan 21, 2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_7l3Wlrc3I&feature=player_embedded

Tomeeboy
Jan 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
Definitely some sad news to start off 2010. I can only hope they have something "bigger and better" up their sleeve, as implied by the comment regarding PSO's 10th anniversary.

I am glad that any PC/PS2 refugees will at least have some options as far as what Phantasy Star games to migrate to. PSZ is a nice title and PSP2 is sure to be great as well. There's always PSU 360 as well, though I can completely understand how frustrating it will be for anyone having to start fresh and lose four years of progress. I know most of the PSOW staff played on the PC/PS2 server (myself included). I think it's time to look towards the future of the franchise and hope that Sega can build on the momentum they have created with the latest handheld titles.

Alamar
Jan 21, 2010, 04:36 PM
I figured by end of summer at latest. I said in previous posts this is the last PS game I will play. I have been disappointed for the last time by Sega. I have not played in a month or two any ways. I wonder how many people are going to head over to the 360 now? And finally I guess this ends the flame wars after all, on which server is better. 360 by a knock out ding ding ding

Legendwolf
Jan 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
Yep i believe it ^^ and im looking forward to it.

Alamar
Jan 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
lol I just added my sis's hours for all 4 her hours are 12246 lol dam talk about addict.

Max B
Jan 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
Lmao That is all I can say

-Aurora-
Jan 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
dam....free play and comebacks a plenty....see ya next friday!

Zabrio
Jan 21, 2010, 04:52 PM
Kinda sad to see it go (though i've been offline mode for the past few months), I'm gunna miss my all my items, but mostly my friends from PSU. Hopefully we'll be able to keep in touch with them. I'll be on for the last month just for the nostalgia and so i can enjoy a few last runs with Zabatos II. SEGA is merging a server so hard, or do you just truly hate your non japanese fans ;_;

Goodbye PSU I'll miss you

Miyoko
Jan 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't suppose they'd be willing to give us the data for our characters, huh? I hate the thought of it all going off into oblivion :(

Alnet
Jan 21, 2010, 05:01 PM
Damn. Thousands of hours killed off right after one of the major events (one of the events that people resubscribe for)? That's just brutality.

I'm gonna miss this game, even if the majority of my crew vanished into the ether long ago. For this, PSP2 better come out in English. And it better be orgasmic.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 21, 2010, 05:04 PM
WHAT THE FUCK!

seconded. Im not gonna buy a 360 just to keep playing this game..

Suddenly PSO on private servers seem appealing again. Aim you should get back too, i never got to play with you. Like you i also collect pictures of Hunewearls :P

Aeris
Jan 21, 2010, 05:11 PM
seconded. Im not gonna buy a 360 just to keep playing this game..

Suddenly PSO on private servers seem appealing again. Aim you should get back too, i never got to play with you. Like you i also collect pictures of Hunewearls :P

Lol you Huney lover xD, i know you like my females on PSU as well as PSO =P.

Yunfa
Jan 21, 2010, 05:16 PM
JUDGMENT IS SERVED! MWHAHAHAHA! JK...>_>

From what I've seen, ALOT of the players remaining actively on the 360 has never heard of PSO, they are playing PSU because it has one of the highest hits when viewing all games available on the marketplace.

Max B
Jan 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
The weird part about 360 is the amount of new players. Every single day it seems like I see hundreds of new players with high IDs. I have been on the server for about 3 months and my ID is 113961 and in the past few days I have seen IDs as high as 116500. So I think 360 will definately be fine expecially if they make the game completely downloadable or perhaps close the demo and make them all start paying lol.

Ya so many new people join daily I just saw an Id# that was116,878

str898mustang
Jan 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
well this is some F*CKIN BULLSH*T! I am pissed about this as PSU is one of the few games I able to play cuz of my dial-up connection. I've invested many hours into this game and now it's all thrown away. Go F*CK Yourself Sega and Burn in Hell.

Thankfully I have found $Çhthack again and now playing Blue Burst on that server.

Come join me on the PSO server.

Noblewine
Jan 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the fun PSU.

Kizeragi
Jan 21, 2010, 05:33 PM
Ahh, that hurts. x.x

It's a real shame, but sadly we can't do anything about it.
This game gave me so much, and I met so many nice people, and so many good times came from this game.. the list would go on and on.

I left this game like a year ago, and I never expected this to happen so soon. Hell, I planned on coming to visit this month..

Despite all the bad things of PSU, the management, the lack of new content, whatever else.. I enjoyed the game so much, and the friends I played with during my time at PC/PS2 just made it feel more "complete." imo, if a game gives you fun and good memories later on, it's a good game.

Just like Monster Hunter really, I was at the server closing of that game too, it was a truly epic game, and didn't even have content updates, just a special mission cycle every week, but doing hunts with friends made that game go from "epic" to "perfection."

And for that reason alone, PSU gets a place in my heart. It will be missed.

Anyway, expect to see me there for MAG+, I want to be there when this server shuts down for good. If anyone wants to do missions with me, I'd be more than happy. ^^

Hope to see you all there. =D

Shou
Jan 21, 2010, 05:49 PM
It's like I am in a doomsday movie.

OMG no more Shou!!!

I don't want to think about it. :no:

LanCow13
Jan 21, 2010, 05:49 PM
right at the end of march better hope its an Aprils fool joke lol

anywho come play PSO its free and has more people than PSU and did i mention its FREE ahahahah

bye PSU u was full of bullshit i will rejoin to gib all my stuff away will make a thread

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 05:58 PM
Lol you Huney lover xD, i know you like my females on PSU as well as PSO =P.

Let's cyber.

Ivan865
Jan 21, 2010, 06:32 PM
im willing to bet that this is some kind of half ass marketing strategy to see if its worth keeping the PC/PS2 servers up

AxelgearVII
Jan 21, 2010, 06:49 PM
This would be sad if my characters (which have remained unused for over a year) were on the US servers.

Aeris
Jan 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
Let's cyber.

No U :|, you been with other ones =P.

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
Good night, sweet PC/PS2 PSU. And flights of Ethans sing thee to thy rest.

I beg of you Sega. Beg. If you're going to make another Phantasy Star arpg with a set story mode protagonist, make him or her better than Ethan. Please.

WBMike
Jan 21, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've been contemplating these past few weeks if I should quit or not. Ah they did it for me.

While we are sad to see the PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe end, the year 2010 is the 10th anniversary of Phantasy Star Online -- and this server / service closure is helping to pave the way for bigger and better things for the Phantasy Star franchise in the very near future!

Ah so this means Phantasy Star Portable 2 announcement and that, *cracks whip* it will have free online play, *cracks whip* it will have regular updates with DLC missions and free items (Vc2), *cracks whip* it will have cash items, and finally *cracks whip* it will have an SoA equivalent to the Japanese exclusive collaboration items.

Missing any of those features will have history repeat itself.

Allison_W
Jan 21, 2010, 07:34 PM
It's unfortunate but inevitable, and while I've come to take anything Sega says with a grain of salt, getting PC/PS2 PSU out of the way to move onto better things makes sense even to me. Even with all of Sega's history, I find it believable that this was a necessary mercy killing.

If what they were hinting at was the announcement of regional PSP2, then they'll have my approval (assuming they don't butcher it to hell and strip it of infrastructure mode--the collabs would be too much to hope for at this point, though). Hopefully their plans for the immediate future add up to more than just announcing the supplemental update for the 360 server, though I hope that those playing there do get it.

I don't know what I'll do. I've been doing other things than PSU--I was planning on playing again for MAG+, but now I'm not sure whether I'm just going to let it go or get the 360 version now and use MAG+ to catch up. In either case, the time's come for me to finish Episode III, and I suppose there's always Phantasy Star Zero and private PSOBB after that. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 07:40 PM
No U :|, you been with other ones =P.

Come to 360 all of you crazy honkeys, GT:LegendaryAlpal

If you do I'll be there with cookies and Kool Aid

OH YEAH

BIG OLAF
Jan 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well, we always did say that Sega should merge the PC/PS2 servers with the 360 servers.

They just has a...."different" way of doing it.

Their own, special, SEGA way. :D

Omega-z
Jan 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
O.O rrraaaghhh this is not the end sega the true form of the great darkness, Falkis a.k.a sega will lose. because I can still see the light even tho the darkness comes. I will not give up I will not die I will keep the fight in the darkness. My heart is pure which thou cans`t touch I was there in the beginning and will be there to the end of the days of the dark one, which will fall before the light."Light, darkness,....a pair, no,.....exist, no exist....unlimited, seal, .... MUUT DITTS POUMN". the light shall return in a whole new time. AH....GAH......UBWAAAAAA!!!

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
O.O rrraaaghhh this is not the end sega the true form of the great darkness, Falkis a.k.a sega will lose. because I can still see the light even tho the darkness comes. I will not give up I will not die I will keep the fight in the darkness. My heart is pure which thou cans`t touch I was there in the beginning and will be there to the end of the days of the dark one, which will fall before the light."Light, darkness,....a pair, no,.....exist, no exist....unlimited, seal, .... MUUT DITTS POUMN". the light shall return in a whole new time. AH....GAH......UBWAAAAAA!!!

Holy Shit the short bus dropped him off early!

BWS-1
Jan 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
Look at it this way, I feel they are killing PSU off from PC and PS2 so you get a nice free infrastructure PSP2 with full support in US/EU!

I'd like to think so. I mean, think of it as a marketing plow in a way too! (one where, I guess isn't all THAT bad; we COULD end up getting PSP2 after all).

What's a neat PSP2 feature? Character import. And what characters can be imported to PSP2? Characters on accounts from Ambition of the Illuminus on PC/PS2 or *cough*PSP1chars*cough*. only.

Soooo, with the servers permanently shut-down before or JUST AS PSP2 would be released to the US and EU... we'd only get the extra content from moving a character from PSP1 to PSP2! In other words, the ''bright'' future for the franchise is partially (if not mostly) bright for them. But it's ok, people need to make a living somehow, right? And you can't spell ''video-game industry'' without... well.. ''industry''.

And if we aren't getting PSP2... well, maybe this ''future'' they speak of is implementing heavier updates (read: releasing a DLC-ish expension for 360-only) for AOI which would include content and gameplay features similar to PSP2. Spoon-fed to us.

No matter what happens, people will either have to start again on PSP2 (the character import doesn't take the level and items with the character ;p) or on 360 to get the ''future'' they speak of.

Meh, I see no harm regardless of what happens. I felt grief the day Dreamcast PSO ver2 servers were announced to be closed, but when I lost interest in PSU 7 months after I got it, I didn't feel too bad at the idea of never being able to come back to it.

My only regret is, as much as I was looking forward to find a copy of AOI (given I don't have one yet and wanted to import my character for PSP2), looks like I think I'll need to get a copy of PSP1 anyway. I'll just start a character there and then import him over to PSP2. That is, only if we are ever to receive PSP2 AND if that feature (among many others) is available in the American release. Chances are they might tell us ''Sorry, we don't support characters from PSP1 BUT here! Have goodies the JP version didn't have since they needed to import characters to get it!'' and if they do, I'll just wait for PSP2 to come out. ;p

In the event that my speculations about a ''360 version'' of PSP2 turn out to be reality; I'll just start over altogether on 360. I mean, I have a 360, and my old character on PC PSU never made it far anyway. I wouldn't mind getting PSU and download whatever DLC/Expensions I need to enjoy a high-rez and broader version of PSP2.

I'll just sit tight and contemplate at the idea of a bright future for the franchise and really, I'm eager to see what they'll do. I did miss PSO and PSU and it pains me a bit to hear as I return to it, it's about to leave me. But with that article, I think I can relax and hope for the best!

Kenbog
Jan 21, 2010, 08:16 PM
Having a hard time accepting this, its just happening when I was back in the PSU mood ;.;
Ah well lets make the best out of it while we still can.

After that its going to be PSOBB and Monster Hunter tri for me ^^;

DragonStriker
Jan 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
Having a hard time accepting this, its just happening when I was back in the PSU mood ;.;
Ah well lets make the best out of it while we still can.

After that its going to be Monster Hunter tri for me ^^;

At a girl :0

SpikeOtacon
Jan 21, 2010, 08:23 PM
Even though I haven't played for probably going on a year, it does make me a little sad to see this news. Still, no one to blame but SOA themselves for the flop.

Sorry for you guys who put so much time into it. I'm sure it seems unfair for you to have to lose your progress while the game still lives on elsewhere.

Para
Jan 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well... my input.

The PC/PS2 servers were going nowhere. Population all dead... everyone leaving their guardian jobs to pursue other ventures. From a business standpoint, the PC/PS2 servers were doomed as they were just losing out on money more or less with each month passing.

Until PSP2 which is probably the closest thing to a reboot to the franchise, might as well save money and shut down the servers.

And hopefully one day... SEGA JP will finally realize their shitty business model of dividing the JP and NA/EU only fueled the fall of the bastard child called PSU NA/EU and re-unite the servers again.

Too bad they couldn't transfer our characters over to the JP servers or let us download our characters into offline story mode but then again with PSP2... who the hell wants to play PSU?

Anyways I hope we can all get behind the past of splitting communities and private rooms in PSU PS2/PC version and just play for the sake of having once played together and soon never again on PSU.

Aeris
Jan 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
Come to 360 all of you crazy honkeys, GT:LegendaryAlpal

If you do I'll be there with cookies and Kool Aid

OH YEAH

Then i have to get my own 360, the game and the expansion pack which will cost me if i want to get online which i has no money atm until late Feb.

ChibiBecca
Jan 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
so in two months, POW! all our characters will be deleted? at least with PSO we could use the same characters and items offline.

i knew this was happening sooner or later, but why did they even bother to hint we'd get the supplimental update when they knew they were just going to kill off the game way before that? seems kinda mean to raise our hopes like that. ^^;

i'm not getting a PSP, i have no faith they'll keep the game running long enough to be worth the expense of buying one. :/

Allison_W
Jan 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
so in two months, POW! all our characters will be deleted? at least with PSO we could use the same characters and items offline.

[ . . . ]

i'm not getting a PSP, i have no faith they'll keep the game running long enough to be worth the expense of buying one. :/

Except with PSP2, you can still continue playing offline just like with PSO, and adhoc (remember that there are ways to use it over the Internet, not just locally) will remain functional even if they end up shutting down infrastructure mode.

Alamar
Jan 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
OK does that mean at midnight when it becomes the 31st it shuts down or is it the 31st at server reset time?

Xefi
Jan 21, 2010, 08:41 PM
And here i was about to resubbed for MAG+. There's
no reason for me to bother playing this game anymore. B-bai PSU.

All of my effort in this game will be gone...yikes. All of that
2000+ hrs. gone down the drain...boo....boo...boo bad SEGA.
*leaving PSU behind and moving on* Later. :pizza:

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 08:45 PM

And everyone stills needs to find out if PSP2 will have infrastructure mode outside of Japan. Take a look at what happened to the first PSP when it was brought over. Download content removed! Sure, DLC was just providing players a way to get at data already on the disk but it meant that the game didn't go stale as fast as it could have.

Allison's mention about the adhoc play is good but you'll need extra hardware aside from a PSP and wireless router to get it working.

VetroDrago
Jan 21, 2010, 08:51 PM
Anyone else notice that we got screwed on the Edel weapons? The Supplemental Update is a little disappointing too, and I wanted to get the Magahna Breaker lol. It's ok. I'm proud to get to run MAG+ nonstop to end it all. I'm definitely going to hit 170 now.

Sexy_Raine
Jan 21, 2010, 08:59 PM
Not surprised this was gonna happen. I knew Segduh wasn't going to give that stupid update to us, and I'm glad Guardian's cash never came here. It was good times with those I partied with.

That's it for me, I wouldn't be caught dead with going to XBL, but for those with PSN I'll be glad to play other games with yous.(Bioshock 2, baby!)

I'll make sure to grind and kill off all my S rank weps before it happens. See if I can get an Adahna 10/10.

Tsavo
Jan 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
And so it ends. Three years and 3000 hours later. Ah well. I had a good run.

See ya space cowboy.

Keilyn
Jan 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
Offer still stands...I'll help those who want to cross-over to PSU-Japan. ^^. I managed to get done in one week what took 6 - 7 months to do in PC/PS2.

buzyb77
Jan 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
BAM Happy Screw YEAR

Rust
Jan 21, 2010, 09:38 PM
I was thinking about resubbing a month to see the little stuff I didn't get to see over the past months, so I guess it'd be about time.
Good thing I haven't put any effort in that game, I'd regret it.

Now waiting for a private free server to open. *flex*

Raven5_1
Jan 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
I was thinking about resubbing a month to see the little stuff I didn't get to see over the past months, so I guess it'd be about time.
Good thing I haven't put any effort in that game, I'd regret it.

Now waiting for a private free server to open. *flex*

but even if a private free server opens up won't we lose our current server side characters and have to start from scratch?

funny enough i would be fine starting from scratch on a private server.

unicorn
Jan 21, 2010, 09:51 PM
This. Fucking. Sucks.

So what do I do now? Meh, it was bound to happen eventually be they should of told us sooner.... I was really holding out for that Supplemental Update.

I really want to start up on 360, but I'm afraid that it'll be shutdown eventually as well.... And I dont feel like going through the hassle for a JP account when I dont have a JP credit card... :(

Punter
Jan 21, 2010, 09:52 PM
1. Fuck sega
2. I enjoyed the good times on PSU as well, though I won't bring myself to go to the 360 unless they offer to transfer PS2/PC accounts over or something similar
3. Hopefully I'll see people on the PSP version! Unless sega's taking that down too...

MSAksion
Jan 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
UHOH - PSU is shutting down. We all knew this was coming.

I better resubscribe and take screenshots of my characters in Lumilass - so i know EXACTLY how to recreate my girls on PSP2 >_>

I wish there was an easy way to recreate characters - like maybe coordinates on the color and proportion charts perhaps ???

Again - with all the "Improvements" and "Free internet play" to PSP2 that COULD have been online PSU - but didn't - is just a slap in the face to us loyal 3 year players who stuck with the B.S> since Launch day.

OH WELL. I had fun and met the greatest people ever in 3 years time. i hope to keep in touch with anyone who wishes to keep going and put up with me =P

Raven5_1
Jan 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
one thing i gotta ask. do i have to buy a subscription before the 29th of jan or not be able to play at all, even though it's free from that point?

Punter
Jan 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
quick piggy back question(s). has anybody played zero yet? is it really worth trying? and is the player community at least decent on it? i might have to move to that eventually

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 10:12 PM
one thing i gotta ask. do i have to buy a subscription before the 29th of jan or not be able to play at all, even though it's free from that point?

I think that's how it's going to work.

Overlord Chan
Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Not that I play the PC/PS2 server, but it's on March 31st it's closing.

Isn't that a little close to April Fools Day?

BWS-1
Jan 21, 2010, 10:28 PM
Not that I play the PC/PS2 server, but it's on March 31st it's closing.

Isn't that a little close to April Fools Day?

I don't think it would be wise for sega to pull something like that. It would be an unpleasant prank which could have dire consequences.

I'll make sure to grind and kill off all my S rank weps before it happens. See if I can get an Adahna 10/10.

See? Despite the fact that I haven't staid in PSU long enough to even know what that weapon is, I've staid long enough to know the pain that is grinding. And at the sight of something like that, I feel bad for those poor S ranks. In fact, reading that line is as hard for me as the sound of screeching chalk on a black board is for some.

Unless, sega has the decency to allow ''character data DOWNLOAD'' to at LEAST have what even the very first PSO had: the ability to play OFFLINE with your ONLINE character. At least PSP2 has that feature, I mean, ''long-lost but finally back'' core aspect of the franchise.

thunder-ray
Jan 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
Guess Ill play for the little time we have left before pc/ps2 is killed :(.

stinkyfish97
Jan 21, 2010, 10:57 PM
Next Phantasy Star Game I am going to wait before I start paying for a subscription. If it turns out to be running the same way as this Phantasy was run, I am not buying into it. Yeah thats right FU Sega of America. F-ing scam artist. This is the kinda crap that makes me wonder why I buy into sega games only to be dissapoited in the end. If the next game isnt released with max cap and all the weapons avaliable from the onset I am not going to buy into it, I am not getting burned again.

Akumamaru
Jan 21, 2010, 10:58 PM
i think ill get a copy of the game of a torrent site and play it for free see whats up

W0LB0T
Jan 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
"We need somewhere to put these PSP2 Servers"

"How about over there" *Points to PS2/PC server*

"That'll do. not like anyone was using it anyway".

maou_ashura
Jan 21, 2010, 11:22 PM
And so with MAG+ up in the horizon, we get hit with this bullshit. You know, I had my fair share of critizism towards sega but always gave them credit where credit was due. Thank you for proving me wrong sega. Bad service and overall laziness led to this and the proof is in their failings in their other franchises. Sure we got PSZ, but what is one clear drop of fresh water compared to an endless sea of sludge? Well, there is always Alien vs predator next month. But yeah, remember from this lession well kiddies: when you deal with sega congratulations, you've just been rick rolled.

lostinseganet
Jan 21, 2010, 11:23 PM
what ever Phantasy star announcement short of a new ring edge/wide console is gonna be dragged down by the poor treatment of pso/psu gamers. When you actually put money down you expect equal treatment. They said something like that after pso died and psu was in the works. Trust is hard to earn, and easily broken. "Sigh" I don't really thing sega can just put itself back together anymore...I think I will cast dreams of ringedge and ringwide. If sega never turns it around I'd rather remember the good times, and let this recession slurp sega whole.

stinkyfish97
Jan 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
You know the only reason why we are getting MAG+ now is because of the many good games about to drop. Im dropping this game to go and play Mass Effect 2, other games are coming out as well. Sega isnt giving us MAG+ because its the right thing to do its so they can get that green.

Volcompat321
Jan 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
Such a loss.
I'm not going to say those long hours were a waste of time, but honestly....I'm just "wtf" right now.

I should have known a few days ago, when my debit card was refunded $9.99, and I sent a message to Edward, and he didn't reply.

I even sent a text to a few PSU friends, and said "I hope the servers aren't going under".

Volcompat321
Jan 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
I don't think anyone will be charged passed now.

I re-sub'd to PSU Jan 11th or something like that, and my money got refunded a few days ago.
I went to see how the hell, and why the hell.
I sent Edward a letter asking why my account got refunded, while not complaining, but to inform of a possible billing error.

Then I saw my sub say charged and then said it was active til March.
Here's the message, Jan. 18th.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk115/Volcompat321/3b5e0b68.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Powder Keg
Jan 21, 2010, 11:56 PM
oic, I wonder if this happened to me?

Zimbabwe
Jan 22, 2010, 12:02 AM
I wonder if my main account is unbanned.
I wanna revisit PSU...

Squirrel3D
Jan 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
Oh I just came back for a cup of coffee to say *removed*
Now if you'll excuse me...I'll just make my exit

Ranji
Jan 22, 2010, 12:09 AM
Nice try linking to him, but link fail.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 22, 2010, 12:11 AM
Good riddance to inferior servers :p

RedCoKid
Jan 22, 2010, 12:13 AM
You guys are making the decision to not restart on 360 very easy. Don't expect a population boom after this.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jan 22, 2010, 12:14 AM

Sad, but true.
PSU was a lot of fun for me though. It WAS one of the only games I've played for 3 years straight. Sucks to see it go though..

Volcompat321
Jan 22, 2010, 12:15 AM

I'm glad I started on the JP one..
Now I'll use the refunded money from the US one, and resub to JP PSU!

Ranji
Jan 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hmm I doubt it'd be worth it... but they said they wont take subs after the 29th... so if I get in before that, would I get refunded?? May be my only chance to play Episode 3 considering I doubt that they'll release it for offline

Brisk
Jan 22, 2010, 12:25 AM

Not much else to be said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

XGalvatronX
Jan 22, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm on the 360 side, and just came back after a year.

I really feel this is a big fuck you from Sega. I feel bad for the PC/PS2 players.

Why in the hell would they announce Mag+ only to shut down the servers 2 months later? So folks are going to grind just to loose everything? What about the supplemental update nonsense they've been kicking around.

Sorry folks, the 360 servers are not regularly updated. I doubt the 3 monkeys at SOA who run the PSU serves will do a better job now that they have less servers to deal with.

While I hope PSU has a long life ahead of it, knowing those chumps of SOA, I can't see it happening.

While I should be happy we still have the 360 servers, I'm skeptical at how long they will last, and I wonder what kind of BS Sega will pull before they pull the plug.

Everyone should give Sega a big "F U SOA" and take a snapshot just before the servers go down.

AxelgearVII
Jan 22, 2010, 12:30 AM
Not much else to be said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've been saying this for years. Kudos to the people who heeded my article on psupedia. As for the rest, history will repeat itself. At least a couple of people will remember and react accordingly next time while the new batch of naive players comes along.

stinkyfish97
Jan 22, 2010, 12:55 AM
Finally going to cancel my xbox guardians account tommorow. I am not suggesting you all do the same but I figure this. The sooner the xbox has a population decline the better, maybe they will kill our servers as well and then all we have to wait for is JP to finish up their updates and soon after private servers will take over. Maybe they arent the best option but all I can say is at least they dont discriminate. Yes Sonic Team has discriminated against everyone playing on the NA/EU servers for years now. They expect us to just take it up the ass. Im going to go play Dragon Age Orgins, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, PSO BB, Final Fantasy and the other great games, I am not saying PSU is not a great game but I am sure if it still up when I come back in 5-6 months not much will have changed.

Kent
Jan 22, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

I really hope they learn from the myriad mistakes they made with PSU: Technology mistakes (namely, the PS2 as the "main platform" thing), infrastructure mistakes and the glaringly-painful design mistakes. Hopefully, they'll go back and look at why PSO lasted so much longer and has so much more loyal of a fanbase and... Maybe, hopefully, get the team that made Sonic Unleshed to be put on it.

Or maybe make the combat more in-depth and get Platinum Games to develop that. How awesome would that be?

Punter
Jan 22, 2010, 01:12 AM
Everyone should give Sega a big "F U SOA" and take a snapshot just before the servers go down.

I like it! Count me in

stinkyfish97
Jan 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
Actually there are quite a lot of people playing Blue Burst, I was on at 3am and there was 300+ people on there. On a good day there is over 500. Thats more people than PS2 servers. lolz

BWS-1
Jan 22, 2010, 01:15 AM
Or maybe make the combat more in-depth and get Platinum Games to develop that. How awesome would that be?

Or wait for Blade and Soul to come out ;3

Orrefe
Jan 22, 2010, 01:33 AM
Finally going to cancel my xbox guardians account tommorow. I am not suggesting you all do the same but I figure this. The sooner the xbox has a population decline the better, maybe they will kill our servers as well and then all we have to wait for is JP to finish up their updates and soon after private servers will take over. Maybe they arent the best option but all I can say is at least they dont discriminate. Yes Sonic Team has discriminated against everyone playing on the NA/EU servers for years now. They expect us to just take it up the ass. Im going to go play Dragon Age Orgins, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, PSO BB, Final Fantasy and the other great games, I am not saying PSU is not a great game but I am sure if it still up when I come back in 5-6 months not much will have changed.

I don't see the 360 servers going down for awhile simply due to the fact that it is still technically a Japanese server [as in, there are Japanese players on our servers because they have no alternative... on the 360, I mean]

EDIT: I mean, this doesn't mean much, with how few Japanese people own 360s. Especially with the PS3 release of Tales of Vesperia lulz

Kent
Jan 22, 2010, 01:33 AM
Or wait for Blade and Soul to come out ;3
I think a lot of people actually play the Phantasy Star Online/Universe game because they're specifically not MMOs. Technology concerns aside, it's just a kind of game that is better-suited to the non-MMO space, where everything's instanced.

It's unfortunate that the Diablo-esque formula of game is kinda going out, because the dungeon-crawling and loot-hunting in semi-random (or at least randomly-picked) environments is something that's still really fun, and is a testament to the fact that people still play and thoroughly enjoy PSO.

MetaZedlen
Jan 22, 2010, 01:35 AM
lolz. no. just search PSO Blue Burst and it should pop up pretty quick.

I know the name of the server, I was just waiting for someone to really think that's the name of it ;)

Juza
Jan 22, 2010, 01:37 AM
*crickets*

That's the sound of my surprise.

Oh well, good thing I've been on hiatus and have become re-addicted to Guild Wars. :b

Zeek123
Jan 22, 2010, 01:49 AM
I don't see the 360 servers going down for awhile simply due to the fact that it is still technically a Japanese server [as in, there are Japanese players on our servers because they have no alternative... on the 360, I mean]

EDIT: I mean, this doesn't mean much, with how few Japanese people own 360s. Especially with the PS3 release of Tales of Vesperia lulz

My guess is that the private servers won't come for awhile because of all the programming people will have to do... for no pay ^^;, and not because the 360 or JP servers are still up.

The JP PSO:BB servers are still official, you know?

But for myself, I won't be toasting Sega, or shouting "Thanks for the times PSU!", because honetly, it just feels like a lot of wasted effort.

Instead, here's one for the friends I've made. What we really played PSU for. For sitting around in a lobby talking about nothing, spamming a mission just because it was there, and recording videos of speed runs.

Cheers for my friends and acquaintences, and a middle finger to you Sega.

Orrefe
Jan 22, 2010, 01:51 AM
Do you think people will be able to log on for free after Janury 29th, even without paying for a GL? I wouldn't mind taking some last screenshots with my PC characters before retiring them forever in favour of my 360 account

Orrefe
Jan 22, 2010, 01:53 AM
I think Sega is getting a lot of flack, for a game I still consider to be a very well orchestrated game. Did they setup their online system poorly? Hell yeah, but the whole gameplay and whatever was great, and I feel that's important.

EDIT: As far as poor balancing goes, first forces were the strongest and everyone bitched. Then they powered up rangers and everyone bitched. Then hunters got Just attack and that was good game. I don't mind. Hunter and force classes are fun to play for me. Why am I even talking about this I don't even know.

Arika
Jan 22, 2010, 02:03 AM

That is right, same thing happen in PSU-JP server ever since they made it free trial for PC. a lot of newbie everyday, although it is not like most will stay long, but keep looping. However now... more like PSPo2-era.

Micro
Jan 22, 2010, 02:05 AM
For anyone curious about the Free Play period. (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=310267)

Powder Keg
Jan 22, 2010, 02:08 AM
Do you think people will be able to log on for free after Janury 29th, even without paying for a GL? I wouldn't mind taking some last screenshots with my PC characters before retiring them forever in favour of my 360 account

Yes. Edward made a correction that anyone who's ever had a subscription will be able to play for free after the update on the 29th.

Zeek123
Thanks for the clarification Micro. Now I can play with a friend or two who wouldn't have been able to play if they needed a currently active account.

Orrefe
That is most excellent, thank you for the post =)

Arika
Jan 22, 2010, 02:24 AM
I knew that this will happen long ago, just didn't know that it will be just after the MAG+.

Thank for the good time and good friends I made from PSU. I will always keep in contact with MSN.

Zantra
Jan 22, 2010, 02:38 AM
Well, history has repeated itself once again...
Soon, the Xbox 360 will experience an eternal winter.
And, all will be right with the world.
I saw this coming from a mile away. Unfortunately.
Strangely enough, my PC copy of PSU:AOTI decided to update gameguard yesterday, and now it no longer runs... so yeah.
Also, I had an Xbox account, but considering how stupid of a process that it was to cancel my account. I'm not going to bother to renew it.
If they expect a jump in subscriptions on the Xbox, they are going to be disappointed.
Not only is it extremely hard to find a copy of the original PSU for Xbox. But, you have to pay extra for the expansion, and there is no offline episode 2...
So, i'm going to go look for the PS2 version of PSU:AOTI, or PSP and play that instead.

jmanx
Jan 22, 2010, 03:08 AM
HALLELUJAH

FantasyUk
Jan 22, 2010, 04:29 AM
aww its sorta sad to know that its Closing Down. i was thnking of coming back myself lol

PSU were great times

Thanks an bai bai guys see you all when they make another version

ChaosAngel92
Jan 22, 2010, 04:32 AM
Ashes to ashes.
Dust to Dust.

Finally a good decition of Sega of America I see in months.

Now, hurry up with PSP:2.

Immovable One
Jan 22, 2010, 04:37 AM
AAAAAAlmost came back to PC servers.
PSP2 saved me.

Anyway, sad to see the PC/PS2 servers go. I had bitter memories of it since I played it on release (you know, when it broke every PSO fan's hearts at how crappy it was), but regained interest when I played on the more populated Xbox 360 servers.

Hopefully, they announce a new PS game soon, online or no.

Kirukia
Jan 22, 2010, 04:43 AM
Aw man it's just the PC/PS2 servers?
I heard they were closing but I thought they were closing xbox 360 too ><
Ugh now we have to wait even longer for private servers :(

Arika
Jan 22, 2010, 04:54 AM
Although, I m fine with PSU-JP and no plan to play on xbox360, but I will wait and see how will it turn out on their promise about "closing PC/PS2 server will allow they to concentrate on updating xbox server more"

I bet it won't have anything change, simply just an excuse to reduce the fund for now.
even something change, it won't last longer than a few update to make believe.

Deadlycruow
Jan 22, 2010, 04:56 AM
Worst news of the day! im not sure about sega or psp2 dont want to waste my time.

Gilbert_owen_deming
Jan 22, 2010, 05:15 AM
UDTYUJFTXYRTHSRT What the Shit!? Right when i was about to resub D<

Welp, i had fun, Great game, Shitty Service, Whatever. Meet Awesome freinds, its sad to see it go..

And SEGA this is for you, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

Now its time to buy PSP2 or Wait for MH3. This is TMD Signing out. Bye All. :-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 05:21 AM
Looks like I'll have to bid my farewells and pop in once and awhile for the next few months. Maybe I'll do a couple TA's to bring back the good ol' days. We had some good memories, Phantasy Star Universe. R.I.P.

It was fun while it lasted.

Arika
Jan 22, 2010, 05:30 AM
Not even an option to download character data for offline game..?
hm, this counts as really bad post-service.
I wonder if they will do the same in the future when they want to close JP-server too or not. I think they will allow character download on that side, since JP-side get better service all the time.

Raven5_1
Jan 22, 2010, 05:30 AM
For anyone curious about the Free Play period. (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=310267)

great! i guess i can achieve my goal of getting my main and my secondary to 180 and my tiertary character to over 100. that will be a nice point to end it all on.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 22, 2010, 05:36 AM
I've said it ingame yesterday and i'll say it again here

PSU = Phailing Segac Universe

Gen2000
Jan 22, 2010, 05:55 AM
Wow, didn't even make it to the supplement update, oh well, can't say I'm not too surprised at this. Before I quit it was already a ghost town, can't imagine what it's like nowadays. And to end on MAG of all things? Bleh.

Oh well I will come back to see my characters live off PSU's final days.

Yueri
Jan 22, 2010, 06:04 AM
So this is for Ambition of the Illuminus too?

Krupp
Jan 22, 2010, 06:15 AM
the whole server is shutting down so yes AOI included.

DuRaL
Jan 22, 2010, 07:45 AM
for 360 players the news sounds like a confirmation that we'll get the sup. update.. =)

@ Arika: maybe the japanese players will get the option to use their chars offline, but.. what would it help? PSU offline is pretty lame... now if it had offline multiplayer, that'd be another story..
on the other hand, i guess it gives people a better feeling if they know that their "chars live on".. may sound silly, but i think it's true..

Flamel666
Jan 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
Well,i had good time in PSU and i'll never forget it -_- R.I.P. dear server,and let be the Great Light with you...

Tek[+]Lok
Jan 22, 2010, 08:20 AM
lol "regret"

They might as well shut down the servers today because I'm canceling my subscription. We don't get to download our online character data and they aren't releasing any private server client. We were basically paying for people to manage a server application made specifically for PSU. Once they shut it down its not worth anything to them. (I understand Japan's are still online, but what about after they shutdown?)

Like they basically killed the bulk of the game. We don't even get an offline expansion for all the extra quests and items? It might as well come with a final patch that uninstalls and deletes the data instead. This announcement might as well just say "fuck you" on it.

lol oh well...

(better luck next PS release)

SabZero
Jan 22, 2010, 08:39 AM
Well, that sucks. sad face.

Cracka_J
Jan 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
well holy fuck I may have to re-install PSU to get some in-game trolling accomplished.

much like conan's situation, ain't jack shit nbc (aka segac) can do now so might as well fuck some shit up before they blow the final air conditioner fuse.

Danny_Dark
Jan 22, 2010, 09:05 AM
What Happens To The Character Data ?
...MAG+...(Waste Of Time)...
There Is No Need For Me To Switch To The 360 Version.

Calibur
Jan 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
I have been in all PS dying servers...I feel like death himself!!!!

Ryudo
Jan 22, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wow that was fast. On one hand I'm hoping they'll announce a new game for consoles soon, on the other hand I'm not sure I can even bother if they'll just shut that down in a couple of years too.

I guess it's White Knight Chronicles for me while I wait at least

Vickie
Jan 22, 2010, 10:18 AM
can't really be too mad about that, those servers were dead as shit makes no sense for them to spend money to keep it going, like they said that money can be used for new production.

Aldotsk
Jan 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
Now I know who destroyed Gurhal system. It wasn't Magashi, it wasn't Ethan Waber, it wasn't Karen Erra, it wasn't Lumia Waber, it wasn't Illuminus group, it wasn't GRM, it wasn't the Holy Light, it wasn't Rappy, it wasn't Sonic, it wasn't Tails, it wasn't Knuckles, it wasn't Dark Falz, it wasn't Ducis Falkis or whateverthefuuckitwascalled, it wasn't Alicia or Welkin, it wasn't Selvaria.

It was SEGA.

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 11:28 AM
So wait, do we have to have an active account to play for the remainder of the existence of the server free? I just want to know if I can stay unsubbed and log on to PSU after the 29th.

Vickie
Jan 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
SEEEEEEEGA

ashley50
Jan 22, 2010, 11:37 AM
So wait, do we have to have an active account to play for the remainder of the existence of the server free? I just want to know if I can stay unsubbed and log on to PSU after the 29th.

Look around, you'll find your asnwer to your question.

Dragon_Knight
Jan 22, 2010, 11:37 AM
Well I'm sad to see it go. I haven't played since the last event fiasco, but I always liked this game as it was. I don't plan on going to the 360 though, I've long since moved on to other things.

Now let the GUARDIANS rest.

Anon_Fire
Jan 22, 2010, 11:40 AM
I want to clarify the free play issue for PC/PS2 servers. The Free Play will apply to *anyone* who has had a valid account during PSU

Does this answer your question Drex?

GreenArcher
Jan 22, 2010, 11:43 AM
The only game that really pulled me in for years....sad news indeed.

After hearing it I proceeded to log in, I last logged out at Falz Memoria. The music was so fitting :(

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
Look around, you'll find your asnwer to your question.

I haven't really had the best of days and I didn't feel like searching for information all over the place though I generally would. It was a rather small favor to answer the question.

But really, I'm sorry if I made you mad about my ignorance, bro.

By the way, you spelled answer wrong. We still cool though.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 22, 2010, 11:55 AM
On the bright side of all this, it lasted longer than the regional NA servers for Phantasy Star Online did, and that had an even bigger population. And I don't know if it will help at all, but PSO on Xbox lasted a good 5 years with far fewer players than PSU will have in 2 years (10 people on at once near the end).

Zorafim
Jan 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
Ah, so it's finally happened? Can't say I'm surprised, or disappointed. The only thing I am, is sad. Something I've looked forward to, and spent so much of my emotion on, is finally on its last legs. It's a necessary evil though, and I'm glad to see it happen. With this, all shadows of hope is lost, and we can look to the future for more enjoyment. Just as things should have been long ago. I just hope Sega got enough money from this to fund a Phantasy Star project worthy of their name.

That's not to say that I'm going to let this game go out in a whisper of a gasp. I fully plan on resubscribing, and getting everything I wanted on Levia. I already have her 12*s, which I looked forward to since I saw them from hacked pictures. I already have PA levels, from constant use of PAs I found useful. All I need now is three things: Levels, and with this event, I'll have it. Story completion, which I may just miss out on. And life, which it seems they're gifting to everyone who has ever invested in them.

Let this update come. I'll put my WoW life on hold for these few months to celebrate the death a loved one. A disappointment of a loved one, but a loved one just the same.

Danny_Dark
Jan 22, 2010, 12:10 PM
Falz Memorial..., A Fitting Place To Rest In Peace...

SuperRygar
Jan 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
cool, free PSU for 2 months

I'l cya soon Tifa ^.^

Illuminate
Jan 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wait, only people with currently running accounts can play? Or anyone who's paid before?

ChibiBecca
Jan 22, 2010, 01:04 PM
wait, this means we'll not get any rewards for MAG+? no silver coins, synth boost or anything? just endless MAG until they take down the servers?

.. ><; first sonic, now phantasy star. it's like sega have an urge to make me give up on the series that brought me into gaming in the first place. ^^;

Illuminate
Jan 22, 2010, 01:12 PM
Well, expect to see me there, guys.
Most likely on my beast, Meroné.

MasterSpark
Jan 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
A friend and I discussed something about these last two months earlier. The usual process whenever a big new event is launched often ends in a significant amount of people being unable to log in due to various reasons. Why should it not happen this time, what with the surge of returning players that have decided to see PSU's last days? What drive will the people at SOA have to rectify it, now that the servers have been officially declared 'dying'? Will this be the greatest and final disaster/mishap in PSU's painful life?

Let's hope not. :)

Zalana
Jan 22, 2010, 02:27 PM
Wow.. the servers are finally isn't this news to me. I haven't played in ohhhhh sooooooooo long. Least I'll have a chance to play for free now if they let me make a new character.

Katy
Jan 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
Damn, I was so close to capping all my techs, now Sega is just going to press the delete button on them.

Is MAG+ even worth playing now? I'll be logging on but I'm not quite sure what to do knowing that anything I collect will no longer exist in a few weeks. I suppose I might actually check out the story mode and not skip the dialoug this time.

RIP: Strawberry, Xena, Xavier, Katy PC/PS2 Nov 3, 2006 - March 29, 2010

If April 1st I'm able to log on with the message APRIL FOOLS, I'm gonna start swinging and I will be busting some lips open.

Cranberry
Jan 22, 2010, 03:28 PM
March 31st will be the Day of Lavos in Gurhal.

Not even Crono can save us this time.

*Chrono Trigger reference, but it oh so fits here.*

Anon_Fire
Jan 22, 2010, 03:38 PM
Wait, only people with currently running accounts can play? Or anyone who's paid before?

Free Play applies to *anyone* who has had a valid account during PSU

Cracka_J
Jan 22, 2010, 04:20 PM
March 31st will be the Day of Lavos in Gurhal.

Not even Crono can save us this time.

*Chrono Trigger reference, but it oh so fits here.*

Cept this lavos is a good guy.

Don't think Crono would come to the rescue either if he knew the whole story ;)

mAsTeR OuTi
Jan 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
good news for 360 Players...ppl be honest...this game never ment to be a playstation 2 online-game< waste of time (and money)!

now gib sup update...thx sega^^

outi

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Except for the part where Playstation 2 was designed to be the home console for it.

Para
Jan 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Deem yourselves lucky 360 people. There's a good reason why the Xbox 360 servers haven't been shafted yet (there's JP players on there *gasp*)

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 05:07 PM
That's actually not why at all, but nice guess.

Para
Jan 22, 2010, 05:39 PM
I never said that was THE reason but stating there is a good reason.

DreXxiN
Jan 22, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ah, well from what I've heard the Japanese community on 360 is VERY small ;P. Sadly their website is still cooler than the US PS2 one.

Mikura
Jan 22, 2010, 06:02 PM
I've seen this coming for quite some time, but I'm still surprised it came so...suddenly. Even though I essentially quit the game 3 months ago, this news hit me pretty hard. I met a lot of great people in this game and to see it go, along with all the work I put into my characters, is depressing. Here's hoping if Sega decides to make a new PS console game that's online, they'll actually take care of it instead of letting it die a slow death like they did with PSU. I'll definitely be here the last week of the PC/PS2 servers to see them off. In the mean time, I think I need a drink after hearing this news. >_>

DAMASCUS
Jan 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
Figures I still have to resub(9.99) to get in on the last couple months. My current subscription expires 3 days too early; January 26? why?

It'll be interesting to see how many people come back for the swan song.

Sadly I won't be moving to XBox since not have. FFXIII is my next destination...

Anduril
Jan 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
Figures I still have to resub(9.99) to get in on the last couple months. My current subscription expires 3 days too early; January 26? why?

It'll be interesting to see how many people come back for the swan song.

Sadly I won't be moving to XBox since not have. FFXIII is my next destination...
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174250
Looks like as long as an account exists, even if it is not active, you can use it without having to pay as soon as the free period begins.

Noxia
Jan 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
nooooo :'(( this is to sudden, Pouny never approved it !
Pouny will miss everyone

(\_/)
(;-; ) nuuu.....
(><)

DAMASCUS
Jan 22, 2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174250
Looks like as long as an account exists, even if it is not active, you can use it without having to pay as soon as the free period begins.

This is worth moving to the next page. Thanks for the information so that others don't make this mistake. Consider it a donation to the XBox version, lol.

DragonStriker
Jan 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ah, well from what I've heard the Japanese community on 360 is VERY small ;P. Sadly their website is still cooler than the US PS2 one.

There's more weaboos that pretend to be Japanese than actuall Japanese players. The community is large because there are few MMOs on 360 and PSU has a decently known name so players who wanna test the waters with it do so. Para is just an idiot for making that assumption of Japanese players.

kirtblue
Jan 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
this is a terrible loss for phantasy star fans but if it brings about something better i guess i can be alright with 360 players keeping it

Rayokarna
Jan 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Man this is sad but I guess in the end it had to happen.

Ah well, team SFS will happily see you on the other side of that door.

(Farewell from Me, Sierra, Blitza, Eugenic and ETH OS)

Hope to see some of you on the free period.

P.S. Ironic, MAG killed off majority of the population. MAG+ signals the death of the server. (Sierra)

DarkShadowX
Jan 22, 2010, 10:20 PM
Well I feel this was a LONG time coming. We had little to no support for the longest time on the servers, its still sad to see it go. I'll most likely renew my sub and play for these last 2 months, and give PSU a nice old Send Off. I hope to see alot of other PSOWers both new and old in the coming last days.

R.I.P PSU, I thank you for all the memories, and look forward to hopefully seeing a future Phantasy Star installment soon!

DuRaL
Jan 22, 2010, 10:59 PM

there used to be quite a lot of japanese people on the 360 side, however, only few of them still play.
the majority moved to the PC version (obviously) or plays other games now..

Sinue_v2
Jan 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

I do have to say though, I am bit saddened by this news. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of pulling the plug on Ms. Sega Shaivo. I've never minced words about why I considered PSU to be a horrible game. But it's one of those rare titles that's horrible because the potential for how good it could have been was so painfully obvious. A sort of uncanny valley of gaming, I suppose. A beautiful thing strangled by inept management, lack of direction, and a lack money. Do they truly understand that they're making bad games, or does the popularity of Sonic as a gaming icon and their past glories lead them to think that they can put in a half-hearted effort and still shit gold?

This is a mercy killing that should have occurred long ago.

Yet I still, in a way, want the game to continue. The characters I created and their back stories acted as a bit of a coping mechanism for the bad parts of PSU, allowing me to overlook the horrid parts. They were tied to the original storyline, and seeing PSU end is now like cutting a part of the original series out. In a way, it was my Phantasy Star V. I won't miss PSU... I'll miss my coping mechanism. Though it's a bit fitting as well. I had always planned for my two main characters to die at the end of the story. NM killing Neika, Ethan refusing to become NM's Rolf, and NM's absolution by fulfilling her role as a living Nei Weapon - sacrificing her life to defeat Dark Force. Neika's spirit calling NM home, that everyone was waiting for her to join them in the sword Elysion.

Heh, turns out my final scene was no less cheesy than Sonic Team's Ethan/Karen/Mirei ending. Or at least, it would have been if I were allowed to continue playing those characters long after the story was over. The closing of the servers punctuates the bittersweet tragedy I was longing for, and makes it personal. In this way, PSU accomplishes a depth of texture and human connection to the storyline that none of the games in the series could hope to accomplish.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
Well, it's not over if you decide to play JP or 360.

Dre_o
Jan 23, 2010, 12:20 AM
Well..... and just when I had planned on re-subbing for MAG+ (perhaps I do indeed enjoy the torture).

I look forward to what the future has in store while remembering the past and all the glorious memories that I had from Day 1 of the servers being up.

I need to find time to make a memorial sig picture...

Nayto the Fighmaster
Jan 23, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well, it's not over if you decide to play JP or 360.

This is true, and if you do come over to the 360 side, it would be good to at least start when Mag+ comes out.

Heck I myself will be glad to help out those who do.

Ranji
Jan 23, 2010, 12:59 AM
Random thought.... whatever the next PSUish game to come out is, instead of tying the PC servers in with PS3, why not link it up with 360 and make it a Game for Windows? It would likely ensure a fairly solid player base on PC, and for those who decide to go with 360, it will allow them to play with us. Besides, Microsoft obviously handles its online gameplay much better than Sony has (Always been afraid to play online w/ PS2(3) ), and giving such a large share of the game over to whats obviously Microsoft will likely prompt them to get Sega to release more updates, especially stateside where most of their customers originate (MS not Sega).

May sound idiotic to you guys, but hell, it HAS to work better than what they've done so far....

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
I guess I saw this coming a year ago when I first disappeared. Anyone can tell you that in the end it comes down to business. This however ultimately splits the community from those who have 360s to those who don't. true to the post above, this could be remedied however if Sega would re-compile the source into a Games for Windows compatible format which would allow PC players onto the 360 servers. (Ya I know it's not that simple but it would allow sega to make the large scale adjustments needed to drop support in Japan for the PS2.)

At the same time I have to ask SEGA US "You couldn't figure out how to make the micro transactions work just like the addon stuff in PSP could you?" This move however is surprising considering the recent actions Sega JP corp has taken in trying to lay the groundwork for paying more attention to the US. Micro-transactions are becoming very popular in the US. However, I'll also admit it's possible they got in there, saw the subscriber base and just scrubbed it.

I wonder about the status of the offline game. Will sega's contract be indefinite with gameguard, aside from gameguard going bankrupt?

AzureBlaze
Jan 23, 2010, 01:17 AM
ARGH.
I have come here to pile on the complaints. Not that it particularly matters but it seems like something that I've got to do. I WAS going to resub for Mag+ was actually looking foreward to it bringing in more people/bring back.

Yes, it is totally their fault because they drove everyone away by being so bad.
They took money after promising something, then gave nothing, so naturally everyone left. Yes NAEU is the only place they could get away with doing something like that for so long. The big catch here that affects everyone regardless of what they're thinking about...is did they LEARN from what they've done here in any way? Was anyone actually ever paying attention who matters? If they learned from it the lesson (ie don't lie to customers faces, if you make busted junk no one wants to use it, other 'duh' things)

Xbox is the only console I don't own...but I dont really want to have to start from scratch just for them to can that one too. Not that I think they're going to squash it streight away but...

What they NEED NEED NEED to do to stop all this sadness/madness is...
Announce their big "Whatever's next". No one was as much 'boo hoo' when DCSPSO ended because GCPSO was out already and everyone just jumped over there. The 'next big thing' is likely also what'll threaten the Xbox with a mass exodus if it's on any console at all. I keep hearing on sites how like "These consoles (PS3, 360) want to stay around a while, like they're not eager to replace with a new generation" which is encouraging as well (who wants to drop 400 again) because it means they're still 'safe' to develop for.

What I hope it is:
Announce PSU 2for PSP for the USA with a HELLUVA FAST date.
Like, summer/spring. Not 2011 for this thing. Shock everyone with that. Keep PSU 'feeling' alive with that, keep Phantasy Star in the media and in the spotlight as much as it can. (thats part of why xbox lives on, xbox actually bothers to promote) We just had ps0, now throw another bone right on top. Don't make it feel 'abandoned' and shabby by waiting forever to bring it out of Japan. Everyone knows it'll sell pretty well.

Announce Console PSsomething:
I believe most people would still play psu2psp if it was on a console and not a handheld. I know I would. Why am I going to put 50 inches of plasma on my wall so I can look at a 3 inch screen? I mean, this is the anniversary year, they need to make a bigger deal of it than just announcing some game is going to be available elsewhere. Really I'm shocked they'd do this at a time like now, when they're supposed to be hyping everyone for the anniv. not raining on the parade.

Aside: They're clearly not spending any money or manpower on these servers they're closing, so I don't see what the big deal is. They couldn't scrape up the $50.00 for the electric bill in april? It's going to make them look like a doofus being all 'yay yay anniv!' and then pulling this down.

The bottom line:
Turn over a new leaf/release SOON and make it a good one.

ShuttleXpC
Jan 23, 2010, 01:18 AM
I hope they lost a crap ton of money.

Here's a hint Sega, you want a game to be a hit success in the US? How about you actually put some effort into your work. nearly 2 years behind on patches, customer support was the worst I've seen in years (Go check Sega's US BBB score: F) there's nothing to even wonder about here. If anyone from Sega reads this, you did this game exactly like you did Dreamcast (which was an awesome system, superior to the consoles out at the time) you threw that away as well. it doesn't matter to me, as I don't purchase your games anymore, I'll simply pirate every single one *stares at Bayonetta*.

hunterseifer
Jan 23, 2010, 02:52 AM
Well this sucks, anyway im goin to be on the forums even after the server goes down :D

I doubt I'll ever play 360, maybe jp side since it would be the quickest way to get my stuff back...but would still take forever!

tadtwisted
Jan 23, 2010, 03:49 AM
Random thought.... whatever the next PSUish game to come out is, instead of tying the PC servers in with PS3, why not link it up with 360 and make it a Game for Windows? It would likely ensure a fairly solid player base on PC, and for those who decide to go with 360, it will allow them to play with us. Besides, Microsoft obviously handles its online gameplay much better than Sony has (Always been afraid to play online w/ PS2(3) ), and giving such a large share of the game over to whats obviously Microsoft will likely prompt them to get Sega to release more updates, especially stateside where most of their customers originate (MS not Sega).

May sound idiotic to you guys, but hell, it HAS to work better than what they've done so far....

The reason that wont happen is SEGA is a japanese company and will always bend ofer backwards for nintendo and sony but not microsoft because it is from the USA, which is really stupid considering the US is now the biggest video game market not japan. Which is one of the reasons the dreamcast failed not only because it didnt have a dvd player but because they pissed off EA the biggest video game devloper around all becuse EA is from the USA

KusanagiShiro
Jan 23, 2010, 03:56 AM
*raises glass and decides to retire as a GUARDIAN*

Here's to you, Gurhal System...c'est la vie.

Ruru
Jan 23, 2010, 05:00 AM
Heh, this is sad.

I had planned on quitting this game at some point, with the intention of popping on once in a while when they gave us the supplemental update that comes with the restricted "free" play, just to talk to friends. But this is just terrible. About 7000 hours of play time down the toilet because SoA doesn't know how to support a game.

The finality of it with the deletion of my characters that I've put so much life force into, is just heartbreaking in a way. I knew this day would come, I knew it would be sooner than later, but even with the knowledge it's still a bit bewildering.

I really can't see myself going to the 360, not this late in the life of PSU. I don't own a 360 and have no intention of buying one just for PSU. I guess to everyone on PC/PS2, farewell after march. It's been real.

Datsun 510
Jan 23, 2010, 05:54 AM
I really wish i had joined the forums sooner... I just signed up for the PS2 online!! Fuck... I wish i had money so i could set up some private servers myself... I just don't know how to set one up for gaming...