PDA

View Full Version : Games Round-Up

Outrider
Jan 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
The holidays are always a great time for picking up new games on the cheap. Between my brothers and I giving each other games for Christmas and just a general abundance of good games on sale, I've been playing a lot of new titles this past month. My thoughts:

Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360 - Received as a gift) - A great game that suffers from some fairly big issues; If you can get past them (especially the mind-numbing opening hours) you'll find that it's a fun sandbox to play around in.

Sam & Max: Season 1 (Wii - Received as a gift) - I only played a bit of the first episode, but it's fun so far. Unfortunately, there are frame rate and loading issues on the Wii version. Nothing you can't get over, but when I first started playing it, I was a little put off.

Spider-Man 2 (Xbox - Received as a gift) - Haven't played this yet. I actually already own this on Gamecube and played through it a few years back, but despite that fact I'm still willing to jump in and see how the two versions compare.

The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Game Boy Advance - Received as a gift) - I already own this, so I haven't played the double. The funny thing is, I was looking and I think that this copy is actually a bootleg. It's got a different colored label with somewhat shoddy printing, the cartridge looks and feels like it's made of a different kind of plastic, and the imprinted numbers on the label are missing. Plus, it was bought off of eBay. So that's kind of cool for novelty's sake, I guess.

Torchlight (PC - Purchased for $9.99 sometime in November) - I didn't get a chance to play this until around Christmas, but it's a fun little game. It's great for when you have ten or twenty minutes to kill.

Dragon Age: Origins (PC - Purchased for $49.99 as a gift for my brother) - It's got a good story and it's gorgeous and I'm liking it, but I just don't think I'm built for these types of PC RPGs (Neverwinter Nights has also destroyed me before, even on Easy difficulty from what I remember.) Basically, Dragon Age has made me feel like this:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215210499_crBV7-L-2.jpg

Overlord (PC - Purchased for ~$3 on Steam) - This is a neat enough game, though I don't know how dedicated I'll be to finishing it. I've had fun through the first chapter, but I ran into trouble trying to direct my minions to take out some beholder creature in one of the early areas and haven't gone back to it yet.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (PC - Purchased for $1.99 on Steam) - Played about an hour. I think I'm done with it. At times, it's far too much of a "niche pc gamer wank-fest" for me. (You need to hold three keys within close proximity of each other simply to crawl and you need to click with one finger and scroll with the other to use the binoculars? Maybe it's my giant monster hands, but those are unnatural positions and movements.) Still, I did get a kick out of how much it reminded me of Fallout 3 (which my brother has been playing almost non-stop since before Christmas).

7 or 8 other games from Steam I haven't even touched (PC - Each was around ~$1 or less, due to being bundled together) - Pure impulse buys, but I'm hoping to give them a shot, even though I have some for other platforms. There was Braid, Loom, the Dig, two Indiana Jones adventure games from Lucasarts, the first two OddWorld games, Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please.

Dokapon Kingdom (Wii - Purchased as a gift for my brothers for $20) - I bought this purely on the recommendation of one of my cousins. I've only played an hour or two (which isn't even a complete game), but if I had to describe it I'd say it's the perfect combination of a party game and an RPG. And I mean that entirely in a good way.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS - Bought for $20 from an independent videogame store in Manhattan; I've had my eye on this game and I felt bad browsing for so long and then not picking up anything because everything else was way overpriced) - Surprisingly great. I never liked the pre-GTA 3 games, so I figured that the birds-eye gameplay in this would be disappointing, but I've pretty much only had fun with it so far. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good, meaty experience on the DS (especially if you're not looking for yet another DS RPG to spend your time on). I didn't think I'd care for it, but surprisingly I've been spending most of my time on the drug dealing mini-game so far.

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii - Bought for $50 because apparently it's been discontinued and I want to play through Prime 1 & 2 with Wii controls and my brothers still haven't played through any of the Prime games) - Uh... it's Metroid Prime. But with Wii controls. I can't argue that it's worth $50 for somebody who already owns all three games (Hey look, I'm talking about myself!), but it's probably great for people who are unfamiliar with the games. At the very least, it's a good excuse to play through the trilogy again and see how the entire series works as one cohesive work (based off of my memories of my original playthroughs, I'm going to say it's not very cohesive at all, but maybe I'll think differently this time around.)

MadWorld (Wii - Bought on sale for $13 from Amazon) - I just started this last night, but holy crap am I having a good time. Maybe it's because some of the reviews I've read had lowered my expectations, but I'm enjoying this much more than I thought I would. It's a gorgeous, fun action title that is strongly reminiscent of No More Heroes (fight through random bad guys to score enough points until you can fight the big boss; rinse and repeat.) I think I'm just shy of the half-way mark, and I've heard that the second half of the game drags a bit, but I'm still looking forward to playing some more tonight. Highly recommend this.

Also bought these games as gifts for others but haven't tried them out yet:

Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law (Wii - $4 for a sealed, brand new copy from Gamestop; Weird, I know) - Watched my brother play this and it's a perfect combo of Phoenix Wright and the Harvey Birdman show. Loving what I've seen. (Though, like the show, probably better if playing with other people in the room.)

Assassin's Creed II (PS3 - $50) - It's weird that my brother got me AC at the same time that I got him ACII.

Rhythm Heaven (DS - ~$10, I think) - It's supposed to be good, from what I've heard.

The World Ends With You (DS - Somewhere between $15 and $20) - Heard lots of great things about this game, and I've been meaning to try it but I figured it would make sense to see of my RPG-crazed brother would like it. I don't think he does.

I think that's everything. It's a lot of videogames.

Let's see - total amount of money spent on games for the holiday season up until now: ~$258 by my count. That's pretty insane. Maybe I should rethink picking up NMH2 next week (Nah, who am I kidding).

tl;dr - I've spent a lot of money on video games since November, but I've also played some that I've enjoyed quite a bit.

TalHex
Jan 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
Have you tried out the multiplayer on Metroid Prime Trilogy yet? the controls have definately made it quite a bit better since Echoes

Outrider
Jan 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
I booted it up to try and just run around in it, but it won't let you do that without two players. I don't have people to play non-online multiplayer games these days as much as I used to, so I don't know that I'll ever actually be able to give it a good playthrough.

I'll do my best, though.

Leviathan
Jan 21, 2010, 03:21 PM
I can't find Harvey Birdman anywhere. I really want the game though.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 21, 2010, 09:25 PM
The long awaited Outrider game roundup thread, Holiday specific!

I can't find Harvey Birdman anywhere. I really want the game though.
I got mine for $4 a while ago as well, PS2. Target comes thru again.

Glad to hear about Mad World. Sears had a non labeled, smashed corner box. Can hear the brokenclip pinging around when shaking. Price checked with machine, $10, explained to 2 clerks if I could return it after opening and seeing if there were any problems and they said sure, 30 day warranty and he wrote his name and the details.

Sears coming thru.

Dokapon sounded good for people who enjoy frantic party games from buyer reviews on the Amazon.

On my watchlist, local stores say in stock, will need to go in and look:

Raido Package SMT: Devil Summoner 2 PS2 RPG in 2009, $30 thought the swansong was Rogue Galaxy, need an easier - more feature/customize game than Nocturne which is requiring lots of grinding and expecting the unexpected. Dante fight x 2? Yeah. But my guys were tough!

War of the Monsters PS2, $10 used. Awesome instruction manual pack in with the monster movie posters might not be there, hope it is.

$10 new. Call in check if they have it, if not order with Amazon. Pay $20.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74300

Classic RPG made in modern times, could be interesting. Lets go Quebec game devs. No running around collecting junk to make weapons and fighting with input delay with the onscreen dudes in "Swordcraft Story" series I was considering.

Also want to see if this even exists:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72445

Then might take it off their hands. With a needed multi S-Video cable for PS2/GC/Xbox.

But I spent $260 on presents, even when trying not to spend much, and book for one class is a new edition this semester - no Used option. Xbox broken, will cost $120 + shipping.

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/news_teasers/2009/090407_sftshirt.png
As well the "Piano input method" of "plinking" across 3 buttons for 6 total possible inputs. unpossible on control pads. Stream of some guys awaiting a match, some guy going overboard on his arcade stick, with that hand motion way up -demonstratively for no reason, chat comments: "Is this guy thinking he's playing the piano or what?"

Randomness
Jan 21, 2010, 09:38 PM
Haya... that picture is just hilarious.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::disapprove:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 21, 2010, 09:47 PM
I can't take credit, and neither can Eventhubs, its the product of someone's submission to Threadless Tees.

I want some dollar bill sign buttons, forget START/SELECT or P and K's.

Mixfortune
Jan 22, 2010, 03:20 AM
\/ :disapprove: \/ :wacko: _\ _\ :disapprove: > :wacko: :disapprove: /\ /\ :disapprove: < > > \/ /_ :wacko: \''' :wacko:

CrimsomWolf
Jan 22, 2010, 08:18 AM
Assassin's Creed 2 - certainly entertaining. Maybe too easy at times, but combat system and the whole "climbing/running/jumping madness" was unexpectedly addicting at times. Main missions were fairly diverse and whole conspiracy fad (including the whole present/Renaissance Italy split) pretty enjoyable. Shame that it ends pretty fast, if you focus just on main missions.

Armored Core 3 - the Armored Core game, at least to some. Although it has it's years by now, the climate of Layered, the underground corporate-techno-automatic city is amazing. The missions are also fairly diverse, and each of three mega corporations presents you with distinct challenges and rewards, unlike the copy-paste fest that is supposed climate of AC4. It has also a solid plot. Not mind-blowing, but relatively enjoyable (the we-knew-it-would-happen-but-we-still-like-it sort). Oh yeah, the challenges are challenging because they were made that way, not because there's 60-second time limit.

The only flaw I ever found in this game, were the controls, which are plainly designed to kill you. But you can get used to that after dozen arena matches and mission attempts.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2010, 11:14 AM
$10 new. Call in check if they have it, if not order with Amazon. Pay $20.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74300

Classic RPG made in modern times, could be interesting. Lets go Quebec game devs. No running around collecting junk to make weapons and fighting with input delay with the onscreen dudes in "Swordcraft Story" series I was considering.

Eesh. I've only heard bad things about Black Sigil. I was really interested in it when they were first releasing gameplay footage of it, mostly because I figured "how can a blatant Chrono Trigger rip-off be terrible?" Turns out it can be terrible by ripping off Chrono Trigger without actually knowing what makes it fun. Your mileage may vary, but my understanding is that it's supposed to be everything that can go wrong with fans trying to make games for fans - it turned out to be a big mess.

EDIT: Then again, for $10, I can understand why you might want to give it a try. Like I said, this isn't from first-hand experience - I'm just letting you know what a lot of people have said about the game.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 22, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't consider Spyborgs on the Wii either if it wasn't $10.

AlexCraig
Jan 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
I've mainly been playing Pokemon. Pre-ordered SS yesterday. My Torterra in Pearl is finally level 100, has some powerful moves, max stats, and contracted pokerus from a pokemon I got in a trade.
[spoiler-box]
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/Faedeur_Onarcius/Other%20Pics/ColossalTorterra.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 02:46 AM
Beat MadWorld last night. Total game time was 3:23.

So it's super short.

There are new weapons unlocked when you beat it and a new difficulty level, but I haven't noticed anything else different yet on my brief journey into the second playthrough.

Still, it's worth it if you can find it for cheap.

Now, I'm already buying No More Heroes 2 for sure on Tuesday. The question is - do I want to pick up Mass Effect 2 as well and switch between them?

I wasn't planning on it, but I've had a Mass Effect itch I haven't been able to scratch over the past month (since my brother left it at his college house), and the trailers and commercials are getting me pretty psyched for it.

I'll probably just treat myself to NMH, but it's still something I'm thinking about.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 06:33 AM
Beat MadWorld last night. Total game time was 3:23.

So it's super short.

There are new weapons unlocked when you beat it and a new difficulty level, but I haven't noticed anything else different yet on my brief journey into the second playthrough.

Still, it's worth it if you can find it for cheap.

Mine works, but froze after the the introduction stage in the subway, with a nonstop repeat A-B of the song, I forgot what it was,but it was catchy none the same. Required a Power Plug pull to stop the Wii, but it did eject the disc beforehand.

Pretty fun even though just the mini-bosses and bosses hurt you, and figured it might be a bit short. I put it down to start up No More Heroes 1 now that the family Wii is around, & couldn't put it down for 3 and half hours straight, going from Rank 9 to 7, running around collecting Drunk dude currency balls and various T-shirts out of dumpsters.

High School Afro-Samurai Girl boss was a pain. Stunning her for a dizzy then throw happened less often than it could have.

Tatsunoko v Capcom coming in this week, great deal on Amazon with $10 credit towards any other game when you buy TvC. May just go towards No More Heroes 2.

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I actually had Madworld freeze up on me during one level and I had to power down the system.

Thankfully the levels are only a few minutes long, so I didn't lose much, and it didn't happen again.