PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 Moving on from PSU

Smidge204
Jan 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
So with the unfortunate (but not unexpected) news that the PC/PS2 servers for PSU are going to be closing at the end of March, I thought it might be interesting to strike up a discussion about where to go from here, if we are to stay with the Phantasy Star franchise.

I'm not including XBox PSU since, I think, it's only a matter of time until that's closed too. Maybe another year tops. But hey, if you think it's worth it feel free to talk about it!

I'm not sure I want to continue with the franchise myself. I do not own any of the required consoles and there is no PC version of the new games, so if I DO decide to pick up one of the new games there would be an investment.

For conversation's sake: What would you recommend going with? Or not bother?
=Smidge=

RedCoKid
Jan 21, 2010, 05:04 PM
I don't see handhelds as a viable platform for Phantasy Star outside of JP. The franchise will have to move to PS3 (and soon) or face long term problems similar to PSU for PS2. Hopefully there will be an announcement for PS on PS3 by the end of 2010, hitting US/EU by 2011.

Max B
Jan 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
So with the unfortunate (but not unexpected) news that the PC/PS2 servers for PSU are going to be closing at the end of March, I thought it might be interesting to strike up a discussion about where to go from here, if we are to stay with the Phantasy Star franchise.

I'm not including XBox PSU since, I think, it's only a matter of time until that's closed too. Maybe another year tops. But hey, if you think it's worth it feel free to talk about it!

I'm not sure I want to continue with the franchise myself. I do not own any of the required consoles and there is no PC version of the new games, so if I DO decide to pick up one of the new games there would be an investment.

For conversation's sake: What would you recommend going with? Or not bother?
=Smidge=

How do you figure Xbox will be closed in a year we have over 1uni full and with Mag+ and the closing of the pc/ps2 I would not be suprised to see 2uni's full.

Halcyote
Jan 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
I figure they'll close when Sega of Japan attempts to incorporate Guardians Cash.

As for the topic at hand, seeing PSU is the only game I really like playing... I dunno. I'm thinking of going back to PSO, but I really doubt it. I don't own a xblox and I'm not really interested in restarting all over again.

redroses
Jan 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well, apperantly there will be a big announcement because of the 10th anniversary of PSO.
And Edward hinted, as well as Dragon Sakai that this might concern a new Phantasy Star game.

So who knows, maybe they are holding back big updates on the PSUJP servers, and closing down the US/EU PC/PS2 servers, to get all the workers, time and money they need for this new Phantasy Star game.

I'll just hope this will happen, and will be waiting for PSP2, while playing PSOBB.

Max B
Jan 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
I don't see handhelds as a viable platform for Phantasy Star outside of JP. The franchise will have to move to PS3 (and soon) or face long term problems similar to PSU for PS2. Hopefully there will be an announcement for PS on PS3 by the end of 2010, hitting US/EU by 2011.

Well, I don't want to derail this topic.

but there was an interview with Sakai about PS0, and he mentioned that they were done with handhelds after PSP2 and had a surprise coming for PSO's 10th anniversary.

I figure they'll close when Sega of Japan attempts to incorporate Guardians Cash.

Lol I highly doubt that.

Halcyote
Jan 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
Lol I highly doubt that.
So have you figured out how Microsoft is going to handle microtransactions for PSU?

Gunslinger-08
Jan 21, 2010, 06:32 PM
As things stand, I won't be going over to the 360 side for a number of reasons (none of which have to do with the 360 community).

I'll probably hang around the forums, play some PSZ here and there, and just try and stay in touch with the friends I made on PSU. When the next PS MMO comes out on PC, I'll be one of the first in line to jump back into the saddle.

Alamar
Jan 21, 2010, 06:45 PM
Oh great another Sega PS game we all can dump 1000's of hours playing just to have them pull this again. Go ahead I will play other things. They will never learn how to run a game ever. EQ1 is what 10 years old almost? How many PS games has Sega released and closed in the same time frame? Go ahead buy another they will just keep fucking them up and making more. They will NOT get another penny of my money. I played every one cause I like the PS games. I can no longer spend time and money into a character just to have it taken away cause they suck at supporting a game. They lost 2 (my sis and me) customers for good. 9 almost 10 years of this I just can't do anymore.

RedCoKid
Jan 21, 2010, 06:47 PM
Well, I don't want to derail this topic.

but there was an interview with Sakai about PS0, and he mentioned that they were done with handhelds after PSP2 and had a surprise coming for PSO's 10th anniversary.

Thanks, I really hope that is the case.

Ash1ey
Jan 21, 2010, 06:47 PM
Game wise, I'll just be playing other games like normal, and playing the import of PSP 2.
Looking forward to seeing what is coming next. I'll always stay with the franchise, as its one of my favorite series

Aeris
Jan 21, 2010, 06:52 PM
I will be playing PSO, PSZ and PSP2 once it comes out in the US in the meantime once the PC/PS2 servers are downed.

Micro
Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
Gonna continue playing PSO and hoping to play PSP2 if it comes to the US. Other than that, if another PS game comes out on PC/consoles, I'll more than likely pick it up.

RedCoKid
Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
I will be playing PSO, PSZ and PSP2 once it comes out in the US in the meantime once the PC/PS2 servers are downed.

Has PSP2 been announced for US? Edward mentioned that, too. I've been out of the loop lately.

MadDogg
Jan 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Damn, this is the first time I've heard of the japanese PSU servers shutting down. Even though I own a PSP and a PS3, I really doubt I'm going to take portable 2 seriously at all, with the easy ability to cheat and all, and phantasy star zero.......yeah.

I'm praying to the gaming gods that a true blue phantasy star online or phantasy star universe sequel will be announced on the 360/PS3 and the PC. This time around, sega would fix all the stupid mistakes that killed the game's population in the first place, like killing off the stupid mission reward system so people actually play areas to hunt rares instead of the best mission points, unlocking all content from the get, downloadable content with no PS2/Wii versions to hold the game back etc. etc.

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 07:17 PM
EQ1 is what 10 years old almost? How many PS games has Sega released and closed in the same time frame?

Can you fault Sega for closing down servers for a game system that is no longer supported? Or would you have them hemorage money by keeping not only the Dreamcast servers up but the Gamecube and Xbox ones as well.

Damn, this is the first time I've heard of the japanese PSU servers shutting down. Even though I own a PSP and a PS3, I really doubt I'm going to take portable 2 seriously at all, with the easy ability to cheat and all, and phantasy star zero.......yeah.

Read a little bit more about PSP2 and who is cheating and who is not.

MadDogg
Jan 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Read a little bit more about PSP2 and who is cheating and who is not.

Way ahead of ya. I've been playing PSO since version 1 on dreamcast on the second day it was released, I stuck with the series all these years up to PSU on the 360, by this point of time, I am sick and tired of the cheating that goes on in every single game. The 360 version of PSU is the only one that stayed legit, with it's exploits patched, rollbacks issued, and everyone moved on. I prefer if they made a console sequel on the 360 or PS3. Looking at their PC versions of the phantasy star games, sega can not handle keeping the game clean on their own, I prefer to play a real sequel on live or PSN.

I know exactly what goes on in portable 2, and like I said, I'm not taking that shit seriously.

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 07:43 PM
I know exactly what goes on in portable 2, and like I said, I'm not taking that shit seriously.
Then what is going on? Cheaters and CFW people are confined to Adhoc Party and other third-party bridging utilities. Sega has an active hand in moderating and banning those who use modified data. Granted, this is Sega of Japan and not Sega of America.

MadDogg
Jan 21, 2010, 07:58 PM
Then what is going on? Cheaters and CFW people are confined to Adhoc Party and other third-party bridging utilities. Sega has an active hand in moderating and banning those who use modified data. Granted, this is Sega of Japan and not Sega of America.

Bingo, you said it yourself, sega of japan would bend over backwards to keep the holy japanese servers clean. Someone starts room hacking or hacks show up, issue out those roll backs at the speed of light. Lets be real here, if you are a veteran to the series, can you honestly tell me with a straight face, this would be the same story for overseas versions, with sega keeping the servers clean just like the japanese counterpart etc.?

And this may seemed messed up, but I bet the main reason sega didn't link our versions with theirs is that japanese gamers have an impression that western players are always cheating, so to please them sega abides by their will. Before someone brings up the whole "well the japanese version of PSU was 2 months ahead in content yadda yadda" that ain't stop the dreamcast and gamecube versions from being linked.

It may seem cold, but I'm just speaking from a viewpoint that is sick and tired of spending over 100 hours into a PSO game only for it to get shut down because the community is bored of having every rare in the game because of hacks, or in PSU's case, lack of updates because the PS2 is holding it back, the dumb mission set-up system etc. I just want a sequel on 360/PS3 since their online set-ups make hacking hard and a waste of time because of rollbacks/patches/console bans etc.

Golto
Jan 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
Well here's hoping a 'good' PS online ps3 game, yeah right not from SoJ.

Allison_W
Jan 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
The franchise will have to move to PS3 (and soon)

The XBox 360 is still a viable platform, and don't forget the PC--neither of those platforms were the one holding PSU back.

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
Lets be real here, if you are a veteran to the series, can you honestly tell me with a straight face, this would be the same story for overseas versions, with sega keeping the servers clean just like the japanese counterpart etc.?
I thought it was common knowledge that SoJ kept their fingers in the game a bit longer than their SoA counterparts, at least in PSU. I didn't fool around on the Japanese side long enough or know any Japanese when PSO was out so I can't say much for the previous PSOs. When it comes down to it, I don't think there's any doubt that Sega of America is to blame for the population woes which plauge PSU.

And this may seemed messed up, but I bet the main reason sega didn't link our versions with theirs is that japanese gamers have an impression that western players are always cheating, so to please them sega abides by their will.
That the Japanese don't cheat or grief other people by turning their characters in to NPCs is a long standing assumption that needs to be thrown away. Japanese people cheat just as much as other people do. Not only in online Phantasy Stars, but in other MMOs as well. I think rather than cheaters, it's a case of money. Which method will earn the most money and which will cost the least.

Before someone brings up the whole "well the japanese version of PSU was 2 months ahead in content yadda yadda" that ain't stop the dreamcast and gamecube versions from being linked.
Were they really linked? I don't recall being able to play with anyone the GC from a DC. I can imagine them sharing space on a server somewhere.

rollbacks/patches/console bans etc.
This is what everyone wants. And PSP2 can provide the patches and console bans. I'm pretty sure about the console bans but not positive. But when you have locally saved characters, rollbacks become difficult.

VetroDrago
Jan 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'll be leaving PS for good unless there's another console/pc one someday. I might still play PS 1-4 lol. I'm currently spending most my time on Demon's Souls. Also, the server news just saved me a lot of time since now I won't be getting my techs from 31-41. MAG+, I can't wait!

PepperCat
Jan 21, 2010, 09:33 PM
Demon's Souls is awesome, I wish I had a PS3.

Raven5_1
Jan 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
i think i'll finally go play my Wii, i havent played it in years due to PSU

MadDogg
Jan 21, 2010, 09:54 PM
Were they really linked? I don't recall being able to play with anyone the GC from a DC. I can imagine them sharing space on a server somewhere.

Yeah, from the dreamcast to the gamecube versions, they were linked. That is why you never heard of update complaints back in the day until xbox ep 1 and 2, which was the first to be separated.

Trust me man, I know full well that the blame for hacking does not only fall on westerners. I was one of the first ever players on gamecube pso ep 1 and 2, I overnight imported that badboy soon it released in japan, and I swear to god in 3 days of that game's release, things liked hacked lavis cannons, double cannons, snow queens etc. were popping up everywhere. It was so bad, that sega made a updated version of japanese gamecube pso and they seperated the servers of their new version from the outdated version. To get the new version for free, you had to mail in the disk, the thing is you had to live in japan for that, so importers got super boned. I'm still kicking myself to this day for importing the broadband adapter, sending my cube to new york to get modded, and that controller keyboard hybrid for the cube.

All I'm saying, in the average japanese gamer's eyes, they aren't too fond of we western players in the first place. I had a japanese speaking friend on dreamcast pso, and he would tell me how most of the japanese side thought that our side ruined pso with the cheating and pk'ing, and all the games they quit out of when my friends and I tried to mooch their version 2 games for state/maintenance and such. It isn't too far out their to think that the reason these newer versions of PSO/PSU keep us separated is because they think we will ruin their version.

Anyway, after all these versions I went through, I have pretty much zero faith in that a non live or PSN will stay legit on our side of the ocean.

pinkace
Jan 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
Ok, look, I am going to risk getting banned for saying this but...

Well, I'm not gonna say it. I am just going to start suggesting to those who play the PC version of the game to start learning how collect data packets and get some packet sniffing software. Do it now, don't wait until it is too late.

That's what happened with my beloved Tabula Rasa :(

tadtwisted
Jan 21, 2010, 11:48 PM
So have you figured out how Microsoft is going to handle microtransactions for PSU?

microtransaction over xbox live are easy, most companies just use ms points. so when someone buys something sega would get most of the profits with microsoft taking a slight cut

RedCoKid
Jan 22, 2010, 12:10 AM
The XBox 360 is still a viable platform, and don't forget the PC--neither of those platforms were the one holding PSU back. I can't imagine Microsoft supporting the 360 through 2015, which is what it would take.

Immovable One
Jan 22, 2010, 06:02 AM
What if the next PS gets the Games for Windows Live label?

Arika
Jan 22, 2010, 06:43 AM
even then, if that PS3 one is online game, will you still play on US/EU server? History always repeating itself that the server finally shut down early. May be it is safer to play on JP to get better term service/ post service? I m sure that if enough people stay there together, it will just be like a server merge US-JP.

DuRaL
Jan 22, 2010, 07:39 AM
i personally wouldn't play on a japanese-exclusive server if i didn't know at least basics about the language..

fortunatelly, though, i'm studying japanese, so yeah, for the next PSO-game i'll definatelly try to get my ass on the JP servers right from the start =)

(although i'm still wishing for an international server.. like PSOGC *sigh*)

Ryudo
Jan 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
even then, if that PS3 one is online game, will you still play on US/EU server? History always repeating itself that the server finally shut down early. May be it is safer to play on JP to get better term service/ post service? I m sure that if enough people stay there together, it will just be like a server merge US-JP.

I'm hoping if they do make one for PS3, it's like White Knight Chronicles and Demons Souls and lets us play offline too so we can keep ourt characters even when the servers shut down :/

RedCoKid
Jan 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
Arika - What has been the average daily population of English-speaking players on the JP PSU servers? Yes, half of the problem on EN PC/PS2 was lack of support, but the other was lack of population. I don't see the benefit of trading support problems for language difficulties. PC/PS2 here lasted as long as could've been expected.

Alnet
Jan 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
Most likely, this will just give me more time to play other online games like Demon's Souls or Gundam Battlefield Record 0081. That's most likely what's going to happen.

If I intend to keep playing more PS games, I'd probably end up importing PSP2, rather than waiting for an English release, at this point. Seeing as everyone but US/EU PC/PS2 players are allowed to keep playing PSU, I'm figuring that if the server doesn't have native Japanese players on it, then Sega probably will end up killing it prematurely. Even the Japanese PC/PS2 servers have a fraction of the population they used to, but they're still alive and kicking.

Vickie
Jan 22, 2010, 10:34 AM
you guys are thinking way too hard about this, if you like psu get whatever new one they come out with, if you don't then find something else to play, i understand where you are all coming from though, i just feel that theres really no point in getting worked up over it because i think that when its all said and done we still get what they decide to give us, just like the Govornment does, we might as well spend our time and energy fighting theyr'e asses...