PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Stop Closure of the PC/PS2 Servers

ForteStollen
Jan 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope you'll all read and sign this if you agree with the points that are made in it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/pcps2psu/petition.html

I realise that there may not be much chance of this actually coming to fruition, but I hope that we can at least try.

Thanks for reading!

Syl
Jan 22, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hah... hahah. HAHAHAHAHA.[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler]Sorry to say it bro, but there's nothing that can be done to save this terminally ill server from it's end. It's over. Done. Let it die, it's been long overdue.

Zorafim
Jan 22, 2010, 12:16 PM
Sorry to say that I won't be signing it either. It's something that has to happen. Let it die so it can bring about something better.

Smidge204
Jan 22, 2010, 12:20 PM
The only way to prevent the PC/PS2 servers closing is to pay SEGA whatever they think it's worth. A few dozen million would probably do it (don't forget the name itself has value since they still make/publish Phantasy Star games). You'd also have to pay for upkeep, of course.

I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet they're not closing the servers to be assholes (though they ARE assholes) but because it's either a money pit or a office-politico nightmare. Or both.

Buy the rights to the game from SEGA or write a private (and illegal) server if you want to keep it.
=Smidge=

Syl
Jan 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Let me just clarify it a little bit, at the very least.

Your ideas have been talked about before, when the decline in the PS2/PC servers began back before MAG. Sega actually replied and said it wasn't possible. The reason is kind of complicated, but it basically dwindles down to some issues with Microsoft and JP Sonic Team.

What about the data transfers? While it is true that our data is saved server side, you're giving Sega too much credit. Just because the fanbase is upset doesn't mean they have to do anything. They don't owe us shit. They came to realization that the servers are dead (I'm not sure why it took them this long to figure that one out), and they're cutting off the arm to attempt to save the rest of the body (360 servers). They aren't going to waste money, time, and effort to try to do any form of reformatting of data to make it happen. That's just simply because JP Sega is in charge of such, and they REALLY don't give a fuck about the US.

In my opinion, it's inevitable that the 360 servers will go through the same. Sega isn't exactly the best at keeping promises. They promise much more focus and dedication for the 360 servers, but I can already see through it. They'll keep up for a month or two, and go back to their old ways. It isn't exactly US Sega's fault, even if they are lazy mofos. Our JP overlords are to blame for not caring about us. We're just extra money in the pocket to them.

I'm aware that this is not optimistic at all, but this is coming from someone who has experienced it first hand for the first two years of its life.

Powder Keg
Jan 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, this has about a 0% chance of working.

DuRaL
Jan 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
a petition for this is useless. PSU itself was the petition, and obviously not enough people signed it for Sega to continue support..

so why should an online petition work..?

Allison_W
Jan 22, 2010, 12:50 PM
As others have said, Microsoft doesn't want the servers merged, and if anything, you'd have to petition them (good luck with that). I don't think this is the only game where they've insisted on separate servers for the XBox/360 and other platforms, either.

Also, this is a mercy killing--or, more aptly, a natural death. The game's time has come. I can't blame you for missing it now that it's at an end, but this will clear the way for future projects--both for Sega and possibly for private PSU servers (which couldn't handle the game any worse than Sega has).

Deadlycruow
Jan 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
please join ..http://www.petitiononline.com/pcps2psu/petition.html

everyone counts..

Allison_W
Jan 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
No, it really isn't. The only humane thing to do is allow its misery to end.

Neith
Jan 22, 2010, 02:07 PM
It's completely pointless signing a petition for this (so no, I won't be). The whole reason PC/PS2 is being shut down is from lack of activity. Even if by some miracle it did work, the game would be still as dead in the water as it is now.

Honestly, save yourself the effort of making a petition and let it go. The game is dead, time to move onto something else. Sega have actually done well to keep the server alive this long, I expected this would happen a long time ago. Also, I hate to bring this up again but check the Terms of Service (those few messages everyone skips past when you login on PSU). Sega likely have the right to terminate the servers at any time without reason. Most online games have some kind of clause like this now.

But yeah, petitions (no matter how much you want it to happen) won't 'save' the game. Let it die, really.

Caustic
Jan 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
Let it go, just....let it go....*cries*

Vickie
Jan 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hah... hahah. HAHAHAHAHA.[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler]Sorry to say it bro, but there's nothing that can be done to save this terminally ill server from it's end. It's over. Done. Let it die, it's been long overdue.

hahaha

SStrikerR
Jan 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
I lol'd. Let the game die, there's no reason for them to keep the game running. It's pitiful.

Para
Jan 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
Just let it go. It was destined to be and in the future there will be a reboot of the series again.

Danny_Dark
Jan 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm Sorry To Say That, But This Is A Waste Of Time...

Sinikal
Jan 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
EL O EL!

Tek[+]Lok
Jan 22, 2010, 03:11 PM
How about a useful petition for a new offline update that allows us to play the game in its entirety with access to all missions and items or perhaps a private server application?

Even then its pointless. They just wouldn't fucking care.

Danny_Dark
Jan 22, 2010, 03:13 PM
Lok;2435179']How about a useful petition for a new offline update that allows us to play the game in its entirety with access to all missions and items or perhaps a private server application?

I'm Afraid, But Yes...

kerohatore9848
Jan 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
day one player , pso vet, psz player , and yet you take the rug from under our feet to kill this server surely it wount be to much to ask to leave one or two servers up even without updates just to let us enjoy the latest updates i bought it on ps2 and pc i went threw 5 playstation 2s before i was forced to buy a ps3 to play , the difficulty finding the game is part of the reason it failed , you say we can go to the 360 servers , for how long?! and to what ends we would have to start over not totally unagreeable but sad, and the game on that system is as rare to find espically since most stores wont carry it anymore due to the potental to be worthless in a few months .... they already refuse trade ins on the pc ps2 version , i love this game at least when you ripped pso out from under our feet you allowed us to keep our characters , offline in multiplay with friends we actcually were in direct contact with. but with the data soley online offline mode was a joke in this , though understandable why it was done , was to prevent or to deter hacking and cheating but my pso char i still play with offline 10+ years after he was forced offline i kept a dreamcast and game cube just to enjoy looking at the character and to play with friends when i get sentemental as they to kept there data ,

Anon_Fire
Jan 22, 2010, 03:42 PM
Pointless!

Ami
Jan 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
Lok;2435179']How about a useful petition for a new offline update that allows us to play the game in its entirety with access to all missions and items or perhaps a private server application?

You have no idea how much I want this to happen. I know it just won't. It's the sad truth D:

I've always wanted to play online with my PS2. But as much as I would like to, I rather for the server to shut down than them using resources that can be put to better use for something that is basically barren. I'll just consider that I missed the opportunity to do so and hope that if/when PSPo2 makes an English release, Internet Multi-mode will be intact.. So yeah, no signing from me.

Legendwolf
Jan 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
YES IM SURE ITLL BE ONLINE

Ce'Nedra
Jan 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Not gonna help much maybe but worth a shot so i signed it. Being still a newbie to online play i wish i could have enjoyed the game so much longer...Seems it ends here for me though.

Kent
Jan 22, 2010, 06:30 PM
It's not really worth a shot - the game was horribly broken from a design standpoint, and borderline-functional from the technological standpoint (graphics engine programming specifically was just sloppy-at-best - particularly in the Xbox 360 port, but that's not what's going on here).

There's no reason to try to keep the servers alive. It's a money sink on part of Sega, a business, whose purpose is to make money. Phantasy Star Universe is essentially a failed business prospect - the population difference (and the fact that Japanese players still play) probably are why the Xbox 360 servers aren't yet closing.

From the perspective of a business and a consumer, Sega needs to move on from this. Sonic Team has proven they can make far superior games than this, that will be far more profitable, and with a far higher attach rate.

If I could anti-sign this petition, I would - not out of spite, but out of the fact that it's the better decision for Sega as a company as well as its fans and consumers.

ZeroXmp
Jan 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hope for the best

Splash
Jan 22, 2010, 07:45 PM
I kind of expected something like this to show up...

But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.

Chuck_Norris
Jan 22, 2010, 08:00 PM
As others have said, Microsoft doesn't want the servers merged, and if anything, you'd have to petition them (good luck with that). I don't think this is the only game where they've insisted on separate servers for the XBox/360 and other platforms, either.

Microsoft doesn't want their servers shared at all. The only reason FF11 was able to do so was because Square went over their heads and hosted the servers themselves.

Dhylec
Jan 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
Well, we know that it's too little & too late for this petition to work. But some of you guys shouldn't ridicule & derail it like so.

To OP, you should petition for a different aspect of the game, such as downloading your characters' data or free upgrade to AoI on 360, etc.