PDA

View Full Version : The FKL: This is worse than thread.

Meyfei
Jan 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
Final Fantasy 12 is so, bad. A broken Xbox holds more value.

Volcompat321
Jan 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well, a broken Xbox is worth more then what, $15 for a game. :wacko:
So literally, yes it does.

I played FF12 for about 2 hours, because a friend let me borrow it.
I gave it back because it was boring.

Meyfei
Jan 25, 2010, 03:21 PM

rofl, thats exactly what i paid for it. i'm glad i didnt pay the 25$ for a brand new copy D:

Volcompat321
Jan 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
Haha, wow.

Well, that shit's too damn expensive.
:/

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
Final Fantasy 12 is so, bad. A broken Xbox holds more value.

You've both failed so much that I'm speechless.

Volcompat321
Jan 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
You've both failed so much that I'm speechless.

Well, you have to understand, that I'm not into those types of games to begin with, so it would be hard to "impress" me with a game.

Honestly, all I play is Phantasy Star games, with the occasional different series game.

(Well, Demon's Souls, Uncharted(very rarely), more Phantasy Star, Assassins Creed, and uh, Need for Speed...lol).

Seriously, that's the extent of my gaming.
Though I did play some of the older FF games, 12 just wasn't my style.

Zeek123
Jan 25, 2010, 03:44 PM
Our PSU updates were so late, we thought it was pregnant!

*crickets*

Meyfei
Jan 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
:/ FF12 is the only FF game that i've owned but never finished.

It's possibly on par with an elitist group of runescape players in a ventrilo room *Shiver*

@Zeek123 xD

Zeek123
Jan 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
Same here. I played a whole 10 minutes of FF XII. That battle system is suuuper boring.

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 05:05 PM
The unfortunate thing is that Final Fantasy XII is one of the best games of the series, and yet the first couple hours are some of the worst. It's not something that's easy for most people to have to slog through.

It's hard to convince people that the pay-off is there, but I assure you, it is.

Weeaboolits
Jan 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
The problem is, FFXII sucks until you get into EX mode, you can build up your brave, but relying on chase attacks for damage doesn't work that well, so charge that nonsense.

Volcompat321
Jan 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
The unfortunate thing is that Final Fantasy XII is one of the best games of the series, and yet the first couple hours are some of the worst. It's not something that's easy for most people to have to slog through.

It's hard to convince people that the pay-off is there, but I assure you, it is.

Well, maybe one day I'll try it again.
I kept the save data on the PS3, so it's not going anywhere.

Hatrix
Jan 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hmm my brother loves FFXII I watched him play it a bit, even tryed it once til I died and was not the least impressed. I decided to play his FFX years ago and was expecting it to be bad, but it was one of the best RPGs I have ever played. The only thing I hated was Blitz Ball and I found the sphere grid a rather cumbersome way of leveling and learning skills. Funny note about my gameplay experience: anticipating I would not play the game more than an hour when the kid at the beggining has you autograph his ball, (not knowing that became your characters permanent name) I sign it "Deeznuts" I found somthing about this game rather charming and continued to complete it

Tetsaru
Jan 25, 2010, 06:40 PM
That's the thing with FF games - each one is different, and you have to play through each one in its entirety to see if you like it or not. I also haven't finished FF12 (I was kinda close though, so I went ahead and watched the ending on Youtube, lol), but there were parts I liked (bringing back some of the old races, lots of free-roaming and exploration, could pick your fights for the most part, airship cutscenes) and parts I didn't like (Gambit system, some of the main characters didn't have much story influence). I'd have to say overall, FF7 and FF10 are my favorites, but I'm still looking forward to 13 and 14 when they come out.

And yeah, I hate how places like Gamestop give you shitty amounts of store credit for your old stuff. I think my old PS2 was only worth $20... =x

Sayara
Jan 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
Our PSU updates were so late, we thought it was pregnant!

*crickets*

user promoted for this post

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 09:19 PM
FF7 and FF10 are my favorites

Heh. That kind of explains a lot.

Tetsaru
Jan 25, 2010, 10:02 PM
Heh. That kind of explains a lot.

Care to elaborate? >_>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 10:08 PM
Care to elaborate? >_>
Using >_>

"Bracketed eyes" often

Also explains lots. Surface/face value exposing, non subtle engagements.

Weeaboolits
Jan 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
I liked X, but Tidus was a whiny mgt.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 25, 2010, 10:17 PM
Care to elaborate? >_>
It speaks for itself.

Z-735
Jan 25, 2010, 10:19 PM
FF8 is my all-time favorite XD 7 was ok but Cloud... Not so much ._.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 10:25 PM
FF8 is my all-time favorite XD 7 was ok but Cloud... Not so much ._.
I think we brought this up last time, but you didn't sell me/entice me/make me want to play this game.

Write some opinions on that game plox! Why is this a must play game?!

Even if they're just ones that don't apply to everyone, for example:

- Pressing the Square button during summons of Ifrit, Shiva, and friends repeatedly is immersive awesome experience that bring you closer to Square-Soft by pressing SQUARE a lot! You feel a connection to those big #'s on the screen after all that loading and huffing and puffing, especially Ifrit. Get a breath mint, ya beast! ^^

- Squall's unpractical gunblade is soo cool, even though it wouldn't work right in real life and its better than yours, he would teach you but he'll have to charge.

Split
Jan 25, 2010, 10:36 PM
Final Fantasy X>VI>IX>VII>VIII>III>IV>II>I>XII>XI

The story, characters, locations, and sidequests of XII sucked but I LOOUUURRVVED its battle system with the gambits and real-time/atb hybrid combat. Enjoyed the battle system enough to get at least one of every rare weapon except for the Yagyu Darkblade (useless, annoyingly unlikely drops) and the Danjuro (just annoyingly unlikely drops).

I still pretty much hate every other element of the game, but keep a save where I've Dustia-chained to Lv 40 in the very beginning of the game so I can just blow through it if I ever feel inclined.

I also LOVE men

EDIT: fix'd

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
Final Fantasy X>VI>IX>VII>XIII>III>IV>II>I>XII>XI

Damn, didn't even list some ESPN8, the ocho.

So bad its unranked.

(or unplayed so you can't accurately rate it anywhere among the ones you have played)

Outrider
Jan 25, 2010, 11:11 PM
Haya - can I direct you to the often-great Jeremy Parish for a good argument in favor of FFVIII?

He does a better job with trying to break it down for newcomers why they should give it a shot: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9014618

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2010, 11:19 PM
That was pretty good.

There weren't any vague, the story is good/excellent/amazing, without descriptors of said RPG (usually cliche) story hyperbole.

Hardcore bald Bro's with sunglasses arguing with nobody in particular about this is the worst, this is my list, also good.

Magic use, by characters? Instead of Guardian Force/Esper monster summons, decreases stats? Sounds not good, but it seems the Guardian monster level up and then there's no use for puny Fire 2 right?

Tetsaru
Jan 25, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'll set a few things straight:

- Cloud was an emo kid, Tidus was a crybaby - I'll agree on that - but at least they developed as the story progressed. Vaan (along with Penelo), on the other hand, had hardly any character development or involvement with the main plot, other than "I wanna be a space pirate!" or "You killed my brother!"

- I'm quite aware that half of FF7's plot was going through the game looking for Sephiroth.

- Some FF games, like 9 (and I think 8, although I've never played 8, but I've seen gameplay videos of it that are kinda off-putting) resort to deus ex machina to resolve their plots, throwing in random final bosses that seemingly have nothing to do with the story. Last I checked, Sephiroth WAS the final boss of 7, and Jecht was at least one of the last bosses of 10... although the final boss of 10 was a crappy-looking tick thing that could easily kill itself with its own cure counters if you zombified it, but at least it made SOME sense.

- Dirge of Cerberus sucked (although I DID feel that Vincent needed more background story than what 7 originally gave him), Advent Children was... ehh (least it was good eye candy), and 10-2 was just fangirls pissed that Tidus had to die at the end of 10.

- FF11 had a lot of problems (mainly finding parties and the horribly slow pacing, along with server hopping). *insert random comments comparing FF11 and PSU that piss people off to the point of flaming me and getting the thread locked again*

- FF7 and FF10 are still my favorite Final Fantasy games, due to storyline, gameplay, and overall experience, and I may be a bit biased towards 7 since it was the first FF game I was introduced to (as well as it being the first on Playstation, being able to use the CD format, CG cutscenes, etc. was also amazing at the time). There's still a lot of them that I haven't played or finished yet though, but I'm still sticking to this... at least until 13 and 14, but that's a given.

Split
Jan 25, 2010, 11:47 PM
Damn, didn't even list some ESPN8, the ocho.

So bad its unranked.

(or unplayed so you can't accurately rate it anywhere among the ones you have played)Oh, actually I think I wrote XIII instead of VIII. Ima fix it, because I haven't had the pleasure of playing XIII yet...

EDIT: also, X-2 IS unranked because it's god-awful. Final Fantasy X is my favorite FF and deserves either a much better sequel or none at all. I actually tend to lean toward the latter option. My explanation is as follows: towards the end of X, when you finally can go everywhere in Cid's airship, you're able to go through the cloisters of trials and visit the fayths again, and in addition to gaining useful items from their chambers, you have some short, interesting conversations with them.

One of them, I forget which fayth, concerns Tidus' disappearance. The fayth explains that they will finally be able to stop dreaming of him, but *instead of him truly dying*, they will create "an ocean for him to swim in." Seeing as the end of FFX has a shot of Tidus swimming up to the surface of what looks to be some sort of large, natural body of water, I'd say the game is wrapped up perfectly, at least within the context of the game

A sequel is entirely unwarranted. The fact that the main protagonist dies is what makes the game stand out as unique, original, and I think it should be kept that way.

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
Unplayed:VII,VIII,IX
Unbeaten:II,IV (Final boss)

XII is a fair amount of fun. I tended not to use gambits... at all. I liked some of the strategy inherent in the real-ish time system though. My favorite thing was putting two of the party into berserk, throwing on haste, and watching them shred the enemies on autopilot. I'm down to killing the Behemoth King, Zodiark, and Yiazmat for a perfect clear. (Haven't played in forever though) The plot is unique for FF, in that it is singularly devoid of any impending apocalyptic doom. (Well, okay, II didn't quite have apocalyptic doom either) Plot was decent. Vaan's plot elements ended pretty early on though... after which its entirely driven by Ashe.

X is close to the traditional ATB, Tidus as a character is unpolished, but not horribly flawed. Laughing scene... whoever wrote that needs to be shot. Good battle system. Sphere grid offers nice balance of choice... unlike XII, which was basically grab augments until you needed something else. (And Golden Amulets make a full license board comically easy)

VI is my favorite, though. Most. Spells. EVER. (Also, pentacasting shenanigans. Ultima x5 in Trance... then 2 seconds... and do it agian. Bang, dead whatever boss it was)

Outrider
Jan 26, 2010, 01:08 AM
I may be a bit biased towards 7 since it was the first FF game I was introduced to

Heh. Explains a lot.

Also - in what crazy world is "prominent character wants revenge for his brother's death" supposed to be a dumb plot point?

Especially when comparing it to Cloud's story-arc of "My personality (which is defined by the fact that I have no real personality at all) was actually stolen from another character (who acts nothing like this) so now I can start showing my true self - oh wait I still have no personality."

Don't let anybody fool you - that's writing.

FFVII is all anime'd up when it comes to the plot. It's got its place, and it has some lovely moments, but let's keep in mind how absolutely absurd it is before we start trying to mock a much more acceptable character arc.

Unplayed:VII,VIII,IX
Unbeaten:II,IV (Final boss)

XII is a fair amount of fun. I tended not to use gambits... at all. I liked some of the strategy inherent in the real-ish time system though. My favorite thing was putting two of the party into berserk, throwing on haste, and watching them shred the enemies on autopilot. I'm down to killing the Behemoth King, Zodiark, and Yiazmat for a perfect clear. (Haven't played in forever though) The plot is unique for FF, in that it is singularly devoid of any impending apocalyptic doom. (Well, okay, II didn't quite have apocalyptic doom either) Plot was decent. Vaan's plot elements ended pretty early on though... after which its entirely driven by Ashe.

X is close to the traditional ATB, Tidus as a character is unpolished, but not horribly flawed. Laughing scene... whoever wrote that needs to be shot. Good battle system. Sphere grid offers nice balance of choice... unlike XII, which was basically grab augments until you needed something else. (And Golden Amulets make a full license board comically easy)

VI is my favorite, though. Most. Spells. EVER. (Also, pentacasting shenanigans. Ultima x5 in Trance... then 2 seconds... and do it agian. Bang, dead whatever boss it was)

That's actually a pretty sane and rational summary of the games in question. Thank you.

Though I would say two things -

1.) Actually setting up a good gambits system can be quite rewarding. It feels like the A-Team: "I love it when a plan comes together" and all that jazz.

2.) Filling the license board may be "easy," but that sort of assumes that you have the time needed to grind those license points up. I don't recall how long it took me to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to most players unless they need to scratch that OCD itch.

Tetsaru
Jan 26, 2010, 01:57 AM
in what crazy world is "prominent character wants revenge for his brother's death" supposed to be a dumb plot point?

That wasn't the bad part. I just found it odd that, as you got further into the game, Vaan and Penelo kinda just fell by the wayside and never really developed or changed (Cloud didn't really change either, but at least he had some background story on his involvement with SOLDIER and working alongside Sephiroth). Ashe was having to find ways to defend her kingdom and deal with becoming the new queen, Balthier was trying to escape his past by becoming a space pirate and leaving his Judge reputation and dealing with his father behind, Fran had to abandon her people and their lifestyle to aid in the conflict, Basch was trying to atone and gain his respect back... and Vaan and Penelo... tagged along basically, from what I remember - just young civilians caught up in the conflict. When I watched the ending on Youtube, I saw Vaan take over Balthier's ship, and I think Penelo was writing a letter to Ashe or something. Like I said, I haven't fully beaten the game, and this was years back, so correct me if I'm wrong... but I honestly don't remember them really doing anything that significant during the course of the game.

Meyfei
Jan 26, 2010, 08:53 AM
:/ didnt they change the release date a few times for FF12 about 4 times?

Also about FFX-2 i think it was a test by Square-enix, after Enix bought out Square-Soft. For them to get a feel for the final fantasy series, since they excelled in Dragon Warrior (i think).

I wish Square-soft was still around, and not all messed up within Enix.

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 09:47 AM
That wasn't the bad part. I just found it odd that, as you got further into the game, Vaan and Penelo kinda just fell by the wayside and never really developed or changed (Cloud didn't really change either, but at least he had some background story on his involvement with SOLDIER and working alongside Sephiroth). Ashe was having to find ways to defend her kingdom and deal with becoming the new queen, Balthier was trying to escape his past by becoming a space pirate and leaving his Judge reputation and dealing with his father behind, Fran had to abandon her people and their lifestyle to aid in the conflict, Basch was trying to atone and gain his respect back... and Vaan and Penelo... tagged along basically, from what I remember - just young civilians caught up in the conflict. When I watched the ending on Youtube, I saw Vaan take over Balthier's ship, and I think Penelo was writing a letter to Ashe or something. Like I said, I haven't fully beaten the game, and this was years back, so correct me if I'm wrong... but I honestly don't remember them really doing anything that significant during the course of the game.

Pretty sure Fran abandoned the Wood long before XII started... That was one bit of background that would have been nice, how she/Balthier met. Its implied there's a relationship between them, since the Wood hates Balthier, or something. (Right before fighting the Elder Wyrm)

Outrider
Jan 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can't really argue that Penelo has any real use aside from being a MacGuffin for part of the game, but Vaan's role is basically as the outside observer. His character arc pretty much finishes up once he realizes Basch isn't the guy who killed his brother. But that's okay because he's not the main character - Ashe is. And they definitely give her arc enough time to come to a full conclusion.

The metaphor I've always liked is that Vaan and Penelo are FFXII's R2D2 and C3P0. They're there for all the important events, but they're mostly there as observers than anything.

(Well, the metaphor holds if you ignore the prequels where suddenly R2D2 is magically the most effective character in the galaxy.)

Meyfei
Jan 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
lol surprisingly that comment makes me wanna play, and rename them that... oh wait :/ they cant be named can they... /booo

Notice how in FFX tidus could be named anything however they NEVER said his name?
It's always: Hey, you, your, he, him, he'll, me, my, and ofcourse boy.

Baten Kaitos had a similar thing going on (how i wish my copy wasnt stolen from me). Kalas would purposely skip your name and make it seem as though he's talking to himself outloud, then everyones like huh you say something? How would being a Spirit who does nothing effect the game, more purpose and effect than penelo and vaan i suppose?

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 12:59 PM
Baten Kaitos had a similar thing going on (how i wish my copy wasnt stolen from me). Kalas would purposely skip your name and make it seem as though he's talking to himself outloud, then everyones like huh you say something? How would being a Spirit who does nothing effect the game, more purpose and effect than penelo and vaan i suppose?

Spirit finishers. Because the "final" boss dying instantly to one is epic. (Final in that its the last fight of the game... even IF its a joke regardless)

Meyfei
Jan 26, 2010, 01:54 PM
the messed up one who returns as the part of the earth with his ugly morfoholic face spamming the screen? *Shiver* :/ never did like that boss.

Those are the cards that appear after you select the 2nd to last card in a chain, not quite often/sometimes frequently?

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that turn a card into something else, with epic attack power. Origins replaced it with lame (or not lame) deck stacking. Got a maximum-possible-combo off it, once.

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2010, 03:52 PM
VIII has Doomtrain, therefore it is the best game in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VjvBaMHJg

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
But VI has the Phantom Train. Which is obviously Doomtrain's inspiration...?

Sayara
Jan 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
WAS THAT A FUCKING TR-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Outrider
Jan 26, 2010, 05:14 PM
My favorite part about the Phantom Train is that the entire battle is fought with your characters running along the tracks in front of the train.

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
My favorite part about the Phantom Train is that the entire battle is fought with your characters running along the tracks in front of the train.

Thing's vicious... unless you remember the rule about undead in FF.

Vanzazikon
Jan 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
My favorite part about the Phantom Train is that the entire battle is fought with your characters running along the tracks in front of the train.And suplexing it.

Randomness
Jan 26, 2010, 05:58 PM
And suplexing it.

Oh yeah. Sabin can suplex ANYTHING.