PDA

View Full Version : ? for former PSO players. How long?

Professor Xavier
Jan 25, 2010, 11:15 PM
How long after the last update/event or new content did they leave the servers going?

Im just curious!

MadDogg
Jan 26, 2010, 12:09 AM
I rememer xbox pso going on for a hot minute after the last update, like a good 3 years or so. We had eternal christmas on that game matter of fact.

Powder Keg
Jan 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
Aside from changing the lobbies, there really wasn't anything to update. I don't understand how a lot of people seem to compare this to PSU in the same fashion. Everything was pretty much available from the start. Minus event quests, and a few other random/small things.

Professor Xavier
Jan 26, 2010, 12:52 AM
Aside from changing the lobbies, there really wasn't anything to update. I don't understand how a lot of people seem to compare this to PSU in the same fashion. Everything was pretty much available from the start. Minus event quests, and a few other random/small things.

My point being they have let the 360 Demo. version run for years without much Maintenance or anything. How is it going to hurt SEGA any if they just leave the PS2/PC servers running without updates. I believe there are some players who still want to play regardless of any new content. They still may just want to play for fun! If PSO ran for years without updates. Why not PSU?

W0LB0T
Jan 26, 2010, 01:26 AM
It still costs money to run the server, Updates or no updates.

zandra117
Jan 26, 2010, 01:34 AM
In the end of PSO Xbox there were only two quests that were never released. Blue Star Memories (Arguably Gamecube Exclusive) and Phantasmal World 3 (They skipped it for some reason).

PSOX was stuck in the christmas event for a year and a half before it was shut down. The only complaint from the PSOX community in the end was for the christmas event to be removed. If a PSOX veteran is reading this, Jingle Bells is now playing in your head, manually. We had already received all of the content. There was pretty much nothing left to give us.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 26, 2010, 02:20 AM
Oh jeez, it was there longer than 1.5 years... It went down in February '08, the last domestic PSO to do so. It really was almost three years. I hit level 200 in PSOX legitimately in July 2005 and it was already Xmas and we had all the updates.

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atpso/

Well, at least I think it was three years, if not at least two. It was a helluva long time! Can't believe it was up for all those years after PSODC shut down, either. That was such a real tragedy.

The reason the PSU demo doesn't shut down is because Microsoft has control over the servers as well as Sega. It's also a gateway into the retail product, which does have a fair turnover rate, as is witnessed by the continuing rise in user IDs. We will be hitting 120Ks during MAG+, is my prediction.

Professor Xavier
Jan 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
Oh jeez, it was there longer than 1.5 years... It went down in February '08, the last domestic PSO to do so. It really was almost three years. I hit level 200 in PSOX legitimately in July 2005 and it was already Xmas and we had all the updates.

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atpso/

Well, at least I think it was three years, if not at least two. It was a helluva long time! Can't believe it was up for all those years after PSODC shut down, either. That was such a real tragedy.

The reason the PSU demo doesn't shut down is because Microsoft has control over the servers as well as Sega. It's also a gateway into the retail product, which does have a fair turnover rate, as is witnessed by the continuing rise in user IDs. We will be hitting 120Ks during MAG+, is my prediction.

I just think its cruel they ran the other servers for PSO for years with all or most content available. A nd now thier closing PS2/PC so soon after MAG+. Its clear now SEGA's content locking process is on the top of the list why this game failed here in the US and the rest of the world. JP clearly got the goodies. We will get everything only to have it yanked away like PS2/PC

I feel they should have at least 3-6 months after MAG+ to enjoy what they get. I would not want to level and get good items just to loose it all!!

Red Ring
Jan 26, 2010, 05:27 PM
PSOX got hacked in like 2 or 3 months after release which made me cancel my subscription. That kind of crap was funny on PSODC. God/HP-- LOL and PKing people to take their items. In the GC and PSOX it was just stupid. I remember some mentally retarded guy made items for everyone over XBOX live headset. Was hilarious to hear that voice for a female hunter character while dropping rares all over the floor. I'm surprised they even made those games knowing hacking was going to commence immediately upon release.

SuperRygar
Jan 26, 2010, 05:42 PM
My point being they have let the 360 Demo. version run for years without much Maintenance or anything.

The 360 demo is going to use the same service as the full game, so its no biggie to use some of the existing framework to run the demo. If they shut down the 360 server, the demo would go with it.

How is it going to hurt SEGA any if they just leave the PS2/PC servers running without updates.

The same way it hurt them to run the server with the few updates we got